PDA

View Full Version : Best Keyboardist?

Telynn
02-16-2008, 08:45 PM
The thread in Blue Heaven about the best drummer got me thinking about other instruments and hunting around youtube to see what all I could find by way of steller performances. I found these two gems. Two of the best keyboardists ever (in my opinion)

Emerson

YouTube - Keith Emerson - Improvising

Wakeman - when he shakes his right hand out around the 2:45 mark you know he is getting read to get crazy.

YouTube - Rick Wakeman Keyboard Solo

Anyone else out there compare to these two? If I had to vote between these two, I think I like Emerson better.

jayson
02-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Emerson & Wakeman are both great, but maybe we should make it "Best Rock/Pop Keyboardist" otherwise the temptation to just declare Miles' "In a Silent Way" trio of organists the greatest. When you have Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea and Joe Zawinul, you have a stellar album. I'd also be remiss not to mention the great Jimmy Smith as well as Wayne Horvitz of Zony Mash and Naked City.

Frunobulax
02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I think Eric Drew Feldman deserves some form of recognition for his stellar work with the notoriously difficult Captain Beefheart, as well as contributions to the oeuvre of The Residents and Pere Ubu among others.

jayson
02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I think Eric Drew Feldman deserves some form of recognition for his stellar work with the notoriously difficult Captain Beefheart, as well as contributions to the oeuvre of The Residents and Pere Ubu among others.

Good call there.

I'd also add the incredible Jamie Saft of John Zorn's Electric Masada and The Gift projects as well as his line-up of Cobra players. Musicians that can play Cobra [or any of JZ's other "game pieces"] with Zorn are in a league all their own.

Frunobulax
02-18-2008, 03:36 PM
All of Hot Chip do their share of heavy lifting on various keys, and one can certainly say that Ian Underwood and Don Preston of the Mothers Of Invention, 1966-1971 (in various forms), both showed an amazing control over every kind of keyboard out there.

ATG
02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Not only does Emerson shred, but he looks like he just stepped off the set of Spinal Tap.

jayson
02-18-2008, 03:51 PM
All of Hot Chip do their share of heavy lifting on various keys, and one can certainly say that Ian Underwood and Don Preston of the Mothers Of Invention, 1966-1971 (in various forms), both showed an amazing control over every kind of keyboard out there.

Of course. Playing with M.O.I. is almost as demanding as playing for Zorn. Only the best will do.

Telynn
02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Not only does Emerson shred, but he looks like he just stepped off the set of Spinal Tap.

There was one video where he was playing some little rinky-dink organ and he jumps on top of it while playing and starts rocking it back and forth. He was wearing some leather get-up too. Surprised me a bit.

jayson
02-19-2008, 04:28 AM
one can only wonder what the results would have been if Hendrix didn't die as he was in the process of getting together with E.L.P. to do some sessions. Emerson and Jimi together, the possibilities are endless. too bad...

EdwardDean1999
02-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Jordan Rudess

(Dream Theater)

is

the

best!

proof:

On a Keyboard w/piano effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xvx8ksOdCo

On a Continuum fingerboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRd9_Lj7R1Y&feature=related

A collage of Dream Theater Solos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7uEgXJB3lA&feature=related

flaggwalkstheline
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
in my opinion one piano player is superior to all others: Dave Brubeck

jayson
02-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Brubeck is indeed great, but if we are talking straight jazz piano players, I'd have to put him behind Monk, Bud Powell and Bill Evans on my list. Still, Brubeck is a great and I love his music.

alinda
02-25-2009, 06:32 AM
my mom:wtf:no seriously she blows my mind everytime.
sorry back to your conversation, those submitted are all really
steller performances, are we including all music, jazz, pop, etc then?

jayson
02-25-2009, 07:06 AM
I'd say if they play a piano or keyboard instrument in any musical setting, they count. :)

Merlin1958
02-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Not as flashy maybe but what about:

Elton John - Classicly trained and AMAZING!!

Dr. John - Sentimental favorite, Just LOVE that Orleans style!!

Chuck Leavell - longtime Clapton bluesman & Session man

Leon Russell - Old School

I know they are all of the "geriatric" set but were great in their day!!

jayson
02-25-2009, 07:41 AM
I love all of those players, at least some material from each anyway.

In addition to the Clapton stuff, Leavell has also been a member of the Allman Brothers Band and the Rolling Stones as well as working with George Harrison. Leavell is the man.

Heather19
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Well I know she might not be the absolute best, but Tori Amos would be my favorite.

Jon
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Getty Lee of Rush!!

He is more than that to the band but...