PDA

View Full Version : Site Improvements - Help Needed

stroppygoblin
03-29-2018, 07:02 AM
As some of you might be aware, the site has been running on an aging version of the Forum software for quite a while now and we are starting to see some consequences of that (the recent post corruption and the (albeit temporary) loss of Br!an)

There was an attempt sometime back to upgrade which was so fraught with problems during the testing, it was abandoned and we never went through with upgrading the live site.

I am now looking at the upgrade again and with RF's blessing I have a lot more access to the sites inner workings and will be doing some local testing of the upgrade - none of this will affect anybody using the live site until we are happy with the upgrade plan. There is also no deadline or timescale for this -it will happen when it's ready.

As well as the upgrade I'd like to get some feedback from everyone of any little issues/bugs/annoyances that the current version has. Two reasons for this:

1. It's useful to check to see if the problem is fixed by an upgrade
2. I can get more knowledge on how and where these issues occur.

A good example would be the toobar in the editor I am using to add this thread. The last Icon is missing and I just see some text "Wrap [SPECIAL] tags around selected text". These are the kind of things I am looking to get fixed.

I'm not really looking for "Can we have this new thing?" ideas, that comes later. Right now I'd like to get the current functionality as good as it can be on the latest version of the software.

Appreciate everyones input on this.

DanHocker
03-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Out of curiosity are you looking at upgrading to VB5 or just a newer version of VB4? We've had some issue with the CD forums as well and I've wanted to switch to VB5 for years now, but just haven't been able to figure out a good way to do it.

stroppygoblin
03-29-2018, 07:31 AM
Out of curiosity are you looking at upgrading to VB5 or just a newer version of VB4? We've had some issue with the CD forums as well and I've wanted to switch to VB5 for years now, but just haven't been able to figure out a good way to do it.

The initial plan is the latest version of VB4 (we can upgrade without a license cost). Although VB5 hasn't been ruled out. What do you see as the main benefits for VB5?

DanHocker
03-29-2018, 08:38 AM

The initial plan is the latest version of VB4 (we can upgrade without a license cost). Although VB5 hasn't been ruled out. What do you see as the main benefits for VB5?

Yea we purchased a VB5 license some time ago, but weren't really able to figure out a good way to migrate from VB4 to VB5. For me at least I think the major benefits are just security. They are actively developing for VB5 where 4 really only seems to be getting minor security patches. On top of that it's really only a matter of time before they stop supporting VB4 entirely.

stroppygoblin
03-29-2018, 08:42 AM

Yea we purchased a VB5 license some time ago, but weren't really able to figure out a good way to migrate from VB4 to VB5. For me at least I think the major benefits are just security. They are actively developing for VB5 where 4 really only seems to be getting minor security patches. On top of that it's really only a matter of time before they stop supporting VB4 entirely.

Ok, once I get our upgrade to VB4 latest sorted I'll take a look at what is involved with going to 5 - I'll let you know.

DanHocker
03-29-2018, 08:45 AM

Ok, once I get our upgrade to VB4 latest sorted I'll take a look at what is involved with going to 5 - I'll let you know.

Cool. I'm sure there's some utilities now, I haven't looked at it in 4 years. I actually do need to do an update to VB4 as well. I got held up by the web host needing to do some updates to PHP and SQL.

amd013
04-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Not sure if I should mention this here, or in the technical support section.

It seems that I can access the discussion tab for books in the "Stephen King Collectible Items" section. Not sure if it is all the books, but I tried 3 and they all just give me the "Loading Selected Tab - Please Wait" message and the annoying spinning dots.

ICry4Oy
04-04-2018, 11:31 AM

It seems that I can access the discussion tab for books in the "Stephen King Collectible Items" section. Not sure if it is all the books, but I tried 3 and they all just give me the "Loading Selected Tab - Please Wait" message and the annoying spinning dots.

Happens to me as well, both with IE and Firefox on Windows 10.

Randall Flagg
04-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Which books did you try?

EDIT: I see the discussion tab for the Index Quick Links stalls when clicked on.
Perhaps stroppygoblin can look into it.

stroppygoblin
04-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Which books did you try?

EDIT: I see the discussion tab for the Index Quick Links stalls when clicked on.
Perhaps stroppygoblin can look into it.

Issue should be resolved :thumbsup:

Br!an
04-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Kudos to the customer service department! :clap:

Patrick
04-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Thank you for all you’re doing, Simon!

Randall Flagg
04-05-2018, 12:43 PM
SHHH!

He's going to want a raise.

mae
04-05-2018, 12:44 PM
SHHH!

Three peanuts?

Randall Flagg
04-05-2018, 12:46 PM
SHHH!

Three peanuts?
Almost as much as you make, and you've been on staff for years...

Br!an
04-05-2018, 04:28 PM
SHHH!

Three peanuts?

He's going to want double!

stroppygoblin
04-06-2018, 02:15 PM
SHHH!

Three peanuts?

He's going to want double!

Wait! There’s PEANUTS???? Nobody mentioned that to me!

Br!an
04-06-2018, 02:30 PM
A good example would be the toolbar in the editor I am using to add this thread. The last Icon is missing and I just see some text "Wrap [SPECIAL] tags around selected text". These are the kind of things I am looking to get fixed.

It appears that way in my Firefox browser.

firemonkey66
04-06-2018, 03:27 PM
I’ve noticed that when I’m selecting messages to delete in my inbox, the text associated with the options that pop up when you hit the ‘selected messages’ button doesn’t show up until you actually click on one of the options. Like the word ‘delete’ doesn’t show up until you actually click on that option.

It was the only thing that came to mind as a ‘bug.’ :)

jhanic
04-06-2018, 04:18 PM
I’ve noticed that when I’m selecting messages to delete in my inbox, the text associated with the options that pop up when you hit the ‘selected messages’ button doesn’t show up until you actually click on one of the options. Like the word ‘delete’ doesn’t show up until you actually click on that option.

I use Firefox and don't have that problem.

John

Randall Flagg
04-07-2018, 05:14 AM

That is most likely related to which skin you view the site in, not any particular browser. It still is a quirk.

jhanic
04-07-2018, 05:50 AM
I use the GrayFolio BLACK skin.

John

Randall Flagg
04-07-2018, 05:58 AM
The quirk described can be seen when using the Take 5 4.0.8 skin. It still is something I would like to fix (with stroppy's help).

stroppygoblin
04-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Yes. One of my goals is complete functional parity with ALL the skins.