PDA

View Full Version : May Nocturnal Readers Box

Pages : [1] 2 3

Beverly Marsh
03-23-2018, 04:24 AM
Sigh. Here we go again people.

NRB sent out an email stating that May will be another King box with a "special edition and dust jacket" In the $65-70 range and not containing as many items as they usually have. Apparently there will be some signed( by whom? King or artist? They did not say)with the option to outright purchase a signed book or take the chance at a random one showing up in your box. Run of 2000 and an early notification will be sent to current subscribers which they believe will sell out and never go on sale to the general public. However if there are leftovers they will be released to the GP.
I signed up last year for the King box and then cancelled. April has limited subs remaining so if you want in I would sign up. I went ahead and did it and will cancel again.

becca69
03-23-2018, 04:41 AM
I'm still an active subscriber. I dig getting the books I wouldn't usually know about. They have pretty cool extras in there too. For the price it's not a bad deal.

I'm hoping they give a heads up before they send out a link to purchase.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-23-2018, 04:44 AM
Can this still be bought if you're not a subscriber? I'm really ticked I wasn't in on this from the beginning.

becca69
03-23-2018, 04:45 AM
You can still subscribe now but not sure if those new subscriptions will be included. I would send them an email to ask.

Father Cody
03-23-2018, 04:48 AM
Been wanting to try this out. Seems like something fun to look forward to each month.

Tommy
03-23-2018, 04:48 AM
I think it says there won't be enough for all the current subscribers if all the subscribers want it but if you subscribe now you will get the link.

Beverly Marsh
03-23-2018, 04:56 AM
Yes, from what I understand any susbscriber, new or not, will get the link as long as you subscribe to the April box. In April the link for May should be received.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-23-2018, 05:12 AM
E-Mail to CD or LRB, or either one? No mention of the NRB is on either site.

Cwalker
03-23-2018, 05:14 AM

http://www.thenocturnalreadersbox.com/
The nocturnal readers box

cit74
03-23-2018, 05:24 AM

I reactivated my subscription too - will see what comes

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-23-2018, 05:27 AM
How much is it a month? I went to the checkout and then I chickened out because I already owe too many people too much money. Maybe it's better to wait for the secondary market because the only thing I'm interested in is the King item(s). I feel like the wind keeps blowing me one way and then the other over this, and I'm getting dizzy.

cit74
03-23-2018, 05:49 AM
How much is it a month? I went to the checkout and then I chickened out because I already owe too many people too much money. Maybe it's better to wait for the secondary market because the only thing I'm interested in is the King item(s). I feel like the wind keeps blowing me one way and then the other over this, and I'm getting dizzy.

just $35 plus shipping - plus you can get 10% off coupon - came out to about $38 for me

saginaw
03-24-2018, 03:56 AM
Ordered a three month NRB subscription. Hopefully will be interesting.

dnemec
03-24-2018, 04:03 AM

I reactivated my subscription too - will see what comes

They kinda made it hard not to reactivate it, didn't they?!

Brian861
03-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Looking on their site, it shows a King book for April vs. May :confused:

Beverly Marsh
03-27-2018, 07:52 AM

I think April will contain a King item but is not the limited box. That's supposedly coming in May because they said early notifications will be sent out in April.
The contents of the April box lists other authors.

Brian861
03-29-2018, 06:53 AM

I think April will contain a King item but is not the limited box. That's supposedly coming in May because they said early notifications will be sent out in April.

Gotcha.

April:

Featuring Authors:

John W. Campbell

Stephen King

John Ajvide Lindqvist

Brian Keene

and Neil Gaiman

DONT MISS OUT!

Is where I got confused.

I might sign up if any are still available then cancel. I'm not into all the trinkets.

Beverly Marsh
03-30-2018, 01:47 PM

Gotcha.

April:

Featuring Authors:

John W. Campbell

Stephen King

John Ajvide Lindqvist

Brian Keene

and Neil Gaiman

DONT MISS OUT!

Is where I got confused.

I might sign up if any are still available then cancel. I'm not into all the trinkets.

Same Brian. I wanted to stay with it and support them longer but I just couldn't justify $50 a month on stuff I don't need and books I'll never read. They have had some nice things in some of the boxes though. Some of my friends still get them. I might try it for three months or so this time but definitely through April and May ;) Maybe June.

Br!an
04-01-2018, 05:28 AM
If you missed out on any of the boxes, check out their store (http://www.thenocturnalreadersbox.com/shop/all/1). They have December, January and February boxes available and quite a few individual items from past boxes.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cratejoy_vendor_images/910232e39b7e40d598eebeab6afabca0.jpeg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cratejoy_vendor_images/1305d7e7efb74bdda9a7178372bb1c8e.png

Father Cody
04-01-2018, 05:58 AM
Thanks, Brian! Didn’t know I could still order that Long Walk shirt.

burial
04-01-2018, 11:08 AM
i wonder what this will be... waiting...

Randall Flagg
04-01-2018, 11:27 AM
I ordered The Long Walk t-shirt, and paid by Paypal. I understand they need your email address, but having to create an account (and another password) sucks. Since I had already paid with PP I wasn't sure if I could abort the process when directed back to the site to create a password.

Father Cody
04-01-2018, 11:32 AM
I ordered The Long Walk t-shirt, and paid by Paypal. I understand they need your email address, but having to create an account (and another password) sucks. Since I had already paid with PP I wasn't sure if I could abort the process when directed back to the site to create a password.

Are you saying you bypassed creating an account or ended up with an account? I paid with PP too but it still required me to enter email and password for a new account.

Randall Flagg
04-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Are you saying you bypassed creating an account or ended up with an account? I paid with PP too but it still required me to enter email and password for a new account.
That's what it did to me 9I ended up with an account). After paying with PP, I was required to enter an email and a password to create an account with NR. Had I known that in advance, I never would have ordered the shirt, but once I authorized PP to send the funds, it seemed like I had no choice.

dnemec
04-01-2018, 11:58 AM
I only bought the December box (so far), but I rather liked the mug and Christmasland shirt. However the one book I read sucked. Still need to read Vermilion though.

becca69
04-04-2018, 07:51 AM
NRB really jumped the gun - no signed copies now. Bad business decision to announce that and get subscribers before they had a deal.

dnemec
04-04-2018, 07:56 AM
NRB really jumped the gun - no signed copies now. Bad business decision to announce that and get subscribers before they had a deal.

Where did you see that?? I haven't gotten an email...

becca69
04-04-2018, 07:58 AM
FB pm

Lookwhoitis
04-04-2018, 08:01 AM
this whole nocturnal readers box mega announcement has been so confusing that i forgot to resubscribe.

It is difficult to beat down the completist tendency in my collecting habit, but somewhat rewarding when something like this happens.

becca69
04-04-2018, 08:02 AM
And this post: If I listen to The Listener on Audible, does that make me the listener? 🤔 Seriously though, such a great book, you guys should check it out if you haven't already!
About the King box; we are saddened to tell you all that Stephen King will be going on tour for The Outsiders and will not be available to sign any of Salem's Lot for us. We were just as bummed to hear this news as, I'm sure, many of you will be. So, that means all the boxes will be the same price, $75 USD +shipping. Boxes go on sale in just a couple of hours for current subscribers (12p CST). Get ready and Good Luck!

stroppygoblin
04-04-2018, 08:03 AM

Where did you see that?? I haven't gotten an email...

They just posted the announcement on FB

dnemec
04-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Didn't get a PM, but saw the post. What a big mess. I wonder how many people will just say screw it to the whole thing...?

stroppygoblin
04-04-2018, 08:08 AM
I subscribed today - purely for the chance of getting the S/L. I have zero interest in the previous boxes and have requested a cancellation.

Lookwhoitis
04-04-2018, 08:18 AM
whoa

becca69
04-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Simon, you had to subscribe to the April box which was cut off a few days ago in order to get this one anyway. Possible some will be left for public purchase in a few days. It is still technically a limited edition.

Father Cody
04-04-2018, 08:22 AM
And this post: If I listen to The Listener on Audible, does that make me the listener? [emoji848] Seriously though, such a great book, you guys should check it out if you haven't already!
About the King box; we are saddened to tell you all that Stephen King will be going on tour for The Outsiders and will not be available to sign any of Salem's Lot for us. We were just as bummed to hear this news as, I'm sure, many of you will be. So, that means all the boxes will be the same price, $75 USD +shipping. Boxes go on sale in just a couple of hours for current subscribers (12p CST). Get ready and Good Luck!

Is it me or is it ridiculous how they literally hid the bad news with the “.” filler lines? Kind of like, “check this out and oh, by the way, you’re screwed.”

dnemec
04-04-2018, 08:26 AM
And this post: If I listen to The Listener on Audible, does that make me the listener? [emoji848] Seriously though, such a great book, you guys should check it out if you haven't already!

Is it me or is it ridiculous how they literally hid the bad news with the “.” filler lines? Kind of like, “check this out and oh, by the way, you’re screwed.”

That's why I disregarded the post originally. I read the first part and ignored the rest.

Father Cody
04-04-2018, 08:29 AM

That's why I disregarded the post originally. I read the first part and ignored the rest.

Hmmm. And too late for an April Fools gag. Well, I’m glad I got that Long Walk t-shirt at least, but sounds like it might be best to pass on their subscription service.

stroppygoblin
04-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Simon, you had to subscribe to the April box which was cut off a few days ago in order to get this one anyway. Possible some will be left for public purchase in a few days. It is still technically a limited edition.

before the announcement of no signature, I IM'd them and asked if I would be getting the offer even though I only signed up today. I was told yes...

sentinel
04-04-2018, 08:35 AM
And this post: If I listen to The Listener on Audible, does that make me the listener? 🤔 Seriously though, such a great book, you guys should check it out if you haven't already!

Hmmm...I thought I read that the moderator on King's site said there would be no signing dates for The Outsiders?

sentinel
04-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Hmmm...I thought I read that the moderator on King's site said there would be no signing dates for The Outsiders?

Correction -The Outsider

stroppygoblin
04-04-2018, 08:41 AM
anyone have this link that is being talked about on FB? I assume it will be in the mail @12:00 CST but it looks like some people have it already?

dnemec
04-04-2018, 09:09 AM
anyone have this link that is being talked about on FB? I assume it will be in the mail @12:00 CST but it looks like some people have it already?

No, and I subscribed to the damn April box just for this. Anyone else get it yet?

Frondz
04-04-2018, 09:11 AM

No, and I subscribed to the damn April box just for this. Anyone else get it yet?

....not yet

Tommy
04-04-2018, 09:11 AM
nope

ICry4Oy
04-04-2018, 09:16 AM

Same here. Shouldn't have trusted any "business" that uses a gmail address.

C1TIZEN_X
04-04-2018, 09:25 AM
I got the email a couple hours ago.

Tommy
04-04-2018, 09:34 AM
:wtf:

Tommy
04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
So those that have ordered, when you got the link, did it say one box per household?

Roseannebarr
04-04-2018, 10:10 AM
So those that have ordered, when you got the link, did it say one box per household?

They sent me a link to order a copy of Salems LOT They said each copy will be a subscription. i ordered two 1 for me and 1 for Lot Guy.

$30 subscription $80 for book. Just have to remember to cancel a subscription. Sure glad there was no signed copies. Many of their emails are being rejected.

Frondz
04-04-2018, 10:10 AM

The email they sent earlier this week said limit 1, but the product description says no limited amount per person.

MLG
04-04-2018, 10:11 AM

No they said 'DO NOT SHARE! BECAUSE THERE IS NO SIGNED QTY THERE IS NO LONGER A LIMIT PER PERSON, THOUGH WE ASK THAT YOU BE REASONABLE PER PURCHASE. THIS WILL STILL BE A VERY RARE 1ST SPECIAL EDITION.'

Father Cody
04-04-2018, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Tommy;1102798]$30 subscription $80 for book. Just have to remember to cancel a subscription. Sure glad there was no signed copies. Many of their emails are being rejected.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where do you see which books you’ll be getting? I see past boxes but that’s it. Just curious what the $80 book is.

C1TIZEN_X
04-04-2018, 10:37 AM

The original email was a limit of one, but that was when NRB assumed there were going to be signed copies available. Then, it was if you buy a signed copy you could buy a regular copy as well. Today, after NRB stated there would be no signed copies, they said the limit was lifted.

Beverly Marsh
04-04-2018, 10:42 AM
As mentioned earlier this whole thing was utterly confusing as evidenced by this threads title, lol. I never did get an email(still haven't) but one of my friends did at 11:00 EST(link wasn't live until 1) and she bought two. Then she bought one for me because I hadn't received the email. I did message them on Instagram and they did send me the purchase link through there.
I agree they jumped the gun on announcing a possible signed one. Should have had their ducks in a row a little better before saying that however I don't hold any ill will about it. I would have signed up anyway to get the King box with or without a signed edition. They haven't released many details yet...such as artist, shirt and pin design, etc. At least now I cancel sooner rather than later.

SIDE NOTE: According to Marsha there are NO book tours at all this year just publicity events immediately before/after the books release. Kinda sad since there's more than one book release this year.

Beverly Marsh
04-04-2018, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Tommy;1102798]$30 subscription $80 for book. Just have to remember to cancel a subscription. Sure glad there was no signed copies. Many of their emails are being rejected.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where do you see which books you’ll be getting? I see past boxes but that’s it. Just curious what the $80 book is.

The $80 book is their edition of Salem's Lot. I think that's what he's referring to.

Br!an
04-04-2018, 10:44 AM
I've been a subscriber for a year. I never got the email. I don't have the link. Somebody help!

Tommy
04-04-2018, 10:45 AM

not sure how my name got associated with that quote...

Beverly Marsh
04-04-2018, 10:47 AM

not sure how my name got associated with that quote...

Uh oh, we're blowing up the DT site again!

Tommy
04-04-2018, 10:48 AM
:panic:

Beverly Marsh
04-04-2018, 10:51 AM
I've been a subscriber for a year. I never got the email. I don't have the link. Somebody help!

Any luck Brian? I think I still have it in my Instagram. I'll try to copy and paste it if you haven't gotten one yet....

Tommy
04-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Beverly Marsh' first word for this thread is "Sigh..."" :lol:

Br!an
04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Got it thrice! Thanks everyone!

Br!an
04-04-2018, 10:54 AM
What's the tote option?

Tommy
04-04-2018, 10:55 AM
What's the tote option?

Don't know but took a chance!

dnemec
04-04-2018, 10:56 AM
I didn't get an email (STILL haven't received one!), but Vincent sent me the link via FB PM. Therefore, I did not get any information regarding limits or sharing. So I may have spread the love... :innocent:

Br!an
04-04-2018, 10:58 AM
What's the tote option?

I think I will too.

Lurker
04-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Never got an e-mail - sent them one just now and a couple of minutes later they got back saying "A bunch of emails were kicked back". Just e-mail them for the link.

Br!an
04-04-2018, 10:59 AM
What's with the disclaimer?

"IF A DISPUTE IS FILED FOR THIS TRANSACTION YOU ARE HEREBY AUTHORIZING "NRB" AND THEREFORE YOUR CARD PROCESSOR/ "PAYPAL INC."TO FURTHER CHARGE YOU AN ADDITIONAL $16 FOR A FRAUDULENT DISPUTE FEE."

So you can't buy the item unless you waive your rights? I doubt that will stand up in court. :nope:

Beverly Marsh
04-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Beverly Marsh' first word for this thread is "Sigh..."" :lol:

:lol: appropriate ay?

Beverly Marsh
04-04-2018, 11:14 AM
What's with the disclaimer?

"IF A DISPUTE IS FILED FOR THIS TRANSACTION YOU ARE HEREBY AUTHORIZING "NRB" AND THEREFORE YOUR CARD PROCESSOR/ "PAYPAL INC."TO FURTHER CHARGE YOU AN ADDITIONAL $16 FOR A FRAUDULENT DISPUTE FEE."

So you can't buy the item unless you waive your rights? I doubt that will stand up in court. :nope:
My guess is that they're referring to it being a separate box from the subscription so people will still get charged the sub fee on top of this fee.

becca69
04-04-2018, 11:49 AM
What's the tote option?

I have this selected on al my boxes. It’s the t-shirt art but printed on a tote bag.

MLG
04-04-2018, 12:12 PM

You should reach out to them, here is their post from Twitter:

Nocturnal Reader's Box @nocturnalreads

Hey guys, there was a glitch and many emails were kicked back with no explanation. So, if you are a current subscriber and have not received the link to buy, please send us a DM so we can remedy the situation. Sorry for the inconvenience!

burial
04-04-2018, 01:08 PM
I'm still waiting for the link :/

can't wait... it's almost midnight... no response from them ;(

saginaw
04-04-2018, 01:33 PM
I haven't gotten it either.

Ari_Racing
04-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Got the email. Bought one that I'll probably resell later on.

cit74
04-04-2018, 02:22 PM
I ended up corresponding via facebook messenger with them today - big problem getting the email/link - I never got one either via email. I guess they learned a bit from this slight hiccup...

Roseannebarr
04-04-2018, 02:37 PM
There will be plenty of books for everyone.

Br!an
04-04-2018, 02:44 PM
There will be plenty of books for everyone.
Seems so.

They claim a 2000 limitation. They will have them available for the public since King didn't sign any.

It's a little strange that we have no idea of the book quality, art or extras.

Jimimck
04-04-2018, 05:32 PM
A subscriber of theirs joked about buying multiple copies for other non-subscribers. She had her two orders cancelled, subscription cancelled, and blocked from their Facebook group.

Don't incur the wrath of NRB I guess.

billstand
04-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Long time lurker, limited poster unfortunately but love the site, community and info shared. I'd like to be more active here.

Re NRB, caveat emptor...

I love the concept and IMO the content has been real nice in their monthly boxes, but their business sense seems lacking. I cancelled my subscription earlier this year (just too much to read and swag so I needed a breather) yet they still kept sending boxes and telling me 'oops, last one promise' and then sending another, no refunds on my credit card.

So I checked out the BBB and saw they have a D- rating.
https://www.bbb.org/nashville/business-reviews/encyclopedia/the-nocturnal-readers-box-in-clarksville-tn-37169601

Sorry it's not a positive post but although you guys don't know me, I feel like I know you and wanted to share with the group.

billstand
04-04-2018, 05:43 PM
BTW, CD Pubs has an A+ rating
https://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/publishers-book/cemetery-dance-publications-in-forest-hill-md-23011435

Tommy
04-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Joe Lansdale, Anne Rice, Robert McCammon and Richard Laymon listed for next box. Love all those writers!

burial
04-04-2018, 09:53 PM
thank you all for help

Roseannebarr
04-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Long time lurker, limited poster unfortunately but love the site, community and info shared. I'd like to be more active here.

Re NRB, caveat emptor...

I love the concept and IMO the content has been real nice in their monthly boxes, but their business sense seems lacking. I cancelled my subscription earlier this year (just too much to read and swag so I needed a breather) yet they still kept sending boxes and telling me 'oops, last one promise' and then sending another, no refunds on my credit card.

https://www.bbb.org/nashville/business-reviews/encyclopedia/the-nocturnal-readers-box-in-clarksville-tn-37169601

Sorry it's not a positive post but although you guys don't know me, I feel like I know you and wanted to share with the group.

Thanks for the feedback. Latest from the owners. Copies for sale today!! Its after 12 here.

The emails said don't share the link, but offering to buy them for someone else is the exact same thing. Even if you joke about it, still not cool. Many will disagree, but we are not here to kiss up to the collectors. We are here to help add amazing books to your collections. In the last two updates we asked people not to share the link with anyone and what the result would be, so there should be no surprise when people are blocked.

We do this for YOU! Because we love our community, and have fun coming up with stuff and trying to get some amazing, exclusive stuff for YOU!

We started this so that we could send out great reads. The ability to get this books published how we want is just icing on the cake for us, but sadly, with how its going, it might be our last. Shame we had another title as well and have a new foreword being written for it :/

We will open up Salem's Lot tomorrow for anyone else who wants to buy.

Have a great rest of the day, and if there are any subscribers who still don't have a link to purchase a box, let me know and we will provide one.

somekindofstranger
04-05-2018, 07:25 AM
Joe Lansdale, Anne Rice, Robert McCammon and Richard Laymon listed for next box. Love all those writers!

the 'items inspired by' is an interesting caveat though!

amd013
04-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Ok, just ordered one, but the order process was extreamly painful, and it seemed as if my order didn't go through so I kept trying, but it "appears" it went through since I got an order confirmation.

However, I am not sure I understand exactly what I ordered. It says a "special" edition. I guess I am trying to figure out if that falls in my zone of collecting or not. It sounds like there is no limitation right? So its not a limited edition, just a "special" edition, which in my mind maybe isn't that much better then a 2nd edition, which I generally don't collect.

Br!an
04-05-2018, 09:47 AM
They stated the limitation was 2000.

sentinel
04-05-2018, 09:52 AM

Re NRB, caveat emptor...

Thanks for sharing! I ran into the same excuses when I cancelled after the Gwendy's Button Box edition last year. They are obviously young and
not very business savvy and their customer service is lacking.

Patrick
04-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Re NRB, caveat emptor...

billstand, glad to hear from a long time member. Please continue to post!

Roseannebarr
04-05-2018, 12:42 PM

Re NRB, caveat emptor...

Thanks for sharing! I ran into the same excuses when I cancelled after the Gwendy's Button Box edition last year. They are obviously young and

They are pretty saavy in making money. I will give you a chance to buy a signed Stephen King book for $150 if you buy 3 months worth of book boxes from me only $90. If you dispute the charges you will by $17 for the dispute charges and i will never cancel your subscriptions anyway. So sign up now and dont miss out. Nevermind that i do not have an agreement from Stephen King to sign the books. and Br!an was being picky too, what materials are being used in the book? who cares. Its going to be great. Please stop looking behind the curtain. quit looking behind the curtain. UUGH.

PS if you criticize me, i am cutting off your box supply and your order. (you might get a refund). quit asking questions. ARGGG.

Patrick
04-05-2018, 12:52 PM
^ Nailed it.

Jimimck
04-05-2018, 02:45 PM

Re NRB, caveat emptor...

They are pretty saavy in making money. I will give you a chance to buy a signed Stephen King book for $150 if you buy 3 months worth of book boxes from me only $90. If you dispute the charges you will by $17 for the dispute charges and i will never cancel your subscriptions anyway. So sign up now and dont miss out. Nevermind that i do not have an agreement from Stephen King to sign the books. and Br!an was being picky too, what materials are being used in the book? who cares. Its going to be great. Please stop looking behind the curtain. quit looking behind the curtain. UUGH.

PS if you criticize me, i am cutting off your box supply and your order. (you might get a refund). quit asking questions. ARGGG.

So funny. And so true.

sentinel
04-05-2018, 04:30 PM

Re NRB, caveat emptor...

:emot-roflolmao:

Randall Flagg
04-05-2018, 04:33 PM
These guys/gals are the biggest liars out there.
The whole weirdly worded secret announcement on 4/2/2018 came across as a lame April Fools joke ...that was late.
I hope they ban me for a negative comment about them.
King was never going to sign for them.
Their lies are so transparent.
Taking a crazy, unwinnable position that any dispute results in a $17 charge is funny.
I'm disputing my charge.
I have a feeling I'll prevail. Now they can ban my IP....love to see that.

jhanic
04-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Has anyone invited them to post in this forum to explain themselves?

John

Father Cody
04-05-2018, 04:46 PM
”Shame we had another title as well and have a new foreword being written for it :/ “

Had to laugh at that part.

Jimimck
04-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Has anyone invited them to post in this forum to explain themselves?

John

I know they were invited on collecting Facebook groups and chose not to.

Jimimck
04-05-2018, 04:58 PM
This is a snippet of my conversation with the owner. It wasn't a friendly chat and I won't bore you all with the long story, but I thought you may appreciate these few comments:

Me: Anyway, you want to block people who piss you off, go right ahead. Its not just me that thinks you have fucked up your reputation today, it is MANY collectors.

Him: When the collectors come out with a book that I want, then it'll be a problem. The customer is not aleays right, that's PC sensitive whiny bullshit.

Me: Hahhahahaha You mean like the awesome Suntup Misery edition put together by a collector? The edition that was good enough to actually secure Kings signature?

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-05-2018, 05:14 PM
This is a snippet of my conversation with the owner. It wasn't a friendly chat and I won't bore you all with the long story, but I thought you may appreciate these few comments:

Me: Anyway, you want to block people who piss you off, go right ahead. Its not just me that thinks you have fucked up your reputation today, it is MANY collectors.

Him: When the collectors come out with a book that I want, then it'll be a problem. The customer is not aleays right, that's PC sensitive whiny bullshit.

Me: Hahhahahaha You mean like the awesome Suntup Misery edition put together by a collector? The edition that was good enough to actually secure Kings signature?

NRB can take a flyin' fuck at a rollin' donut

Father Cody
04-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Is that a wrestling move Chad? :D :lol:

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-05-2018, 05:37 PM

Setup to the finisher :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Father Cody
04-05-2018, 05:39 PM

Setup to the finisher :rofl:

Hahah I can see it now

TravelinJack
04-05-2018, 05:56 PM
What a cluster this is. Their marketing was very misleading. Sorry to those impacted by this. This will no doubt hurt their business. Karma.

herbertwest
04-07-2018, 01:18 AM
I mentionned it on twitter, here is the discussion
> https://twitter.com/ClubSTEPHENKING/status/982256613410070528

Br!an
04-07-2018, 03:54 AM
That Tony guy is defending them like he's one of them. :orely: His lack of reason fits well with their rationale too. Almost nothing he says is accurate, and he says it so condescendingly. :doh:

*APRIL/MAY/King*

We are still working out the contract, but there is likely going to be a small quantity signed.

With the signed books, there will be a separate link to purchase a guaranteed signed copy (50% of the total signed), with the rest being randomized in the total run.

*King Box Ordering Info*

From what we are being told as of today we are currently at 1 in 10 that will be signed...not by the cover artist but by Stephen King himself.

Guaranteed Signed: What we know so far is that Steve is going to do his best to get some signed. It looks like we will have a guaranteed quantity, but as of right this second, we don't have a firm yes. I will have a call tomorrow with Steve and his agent and hopefully we can get a thumbs up or down then.

If we get a yes, then here is how it will work: ONLY those who checkout with a signed book can ALSO checkout with a regular special edition.

Signed books will be $150 per box and are also limited to ONE per person.

*LINK TO PURCHASE*

We were just told that there is NO signed quantity for this special edition because Steve will be going on tour with the Outsider soon.

TravelinJack
04-07-2018, 04:17 AM
I think what hurts them the most is they used the term "Guaranteed" too loosely and too much. You can't/shouldn't put 'guaranteed' on anything when it isn't truly guaranteed unless you are trying to incorrectly market or false market. No other way around it.

I had no issues with NRB previous to this. I tried their boxes a while back, they were fun, just not for me so I cancelled. I was not trying to purchase this particular item, so my opinions on the matter are on the business/marketing practice utilized for this upcoming box.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-07-2018, 06:06 AM
I'm part of another discussion group (30-40 members) and everyone has cancelled (or didn't order) their box (according to comments). Most, if not all, feel these people are no different than someone trying to be deceitful with forged signatures. Bad business all the way around and they just lost customers.

Mulleins

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-07-2018, 06:16 AM
So if I bought every single box, and destroyed all the books except one, would it be worth a million dollars?

Randall Flagg
04-07-2018, 06:46 AM
So if I bought every single box, and destroyed all the books except one, would it be worth a million dollars?
No.

dnemec
04-07-2018, 07:34 AM
I'm really surprised how many people are defending them - and vehemently. People are saying that we aren't out any money and we don't have to buy it, but I did order the April box so that I would be in the loop for this. So I am out that money, as I wasn't planning on ordering it before all this King excitement started. Then in the email that they sent with the Update/Cover Sneak Peek after all the brouhaha, they said: "Many will disagree, but we are not here to kiss up to the collectors." But aren't they? Who do they think is going to buy a special Stephen King NRB box for $75? Isn't it us crazy King collectors?! I think I'm going to take my King box (and my April box, since it's already coming) and say goodbye permanently. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-07-2018, 07:36 AM

If you do this, you may want to change your screen name from ur2ndbiggestfan to NRBbiggestfan.

herbertwest
04-07-2018, 08:16 AM
All that bollocks aside (also it's funny that the reason of the decline is that King will be busy touring for THE OUTSIDER while there is no touring planned, as far as i know), what cover variants did they do so far?

Room 217 Caretaker
04-07-2018, 09:13 AM
All that bollocks aside (also it's funny that the reason of the decline is that King will be busy touring for THE OUTSIDER while there is no touring planned, as far as i know), what cover variants did they do so far?

Not sure of other authors, but they did Gwendy's Button Box variant.

Mulleins

Beverly Marsh
04-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I'm really surprised how many people are defending them - and vehemently. People are saying that we aren't out any money and we don't have to buy it, but I did order the April box so that I would be in the loop for this. So I am out that money, as I wasn't planning on ordering it before all this King excitement started. Then in the email that they sent with the Update/Cover Sneak Peek after all the brouhaha, they said: "Many will disagree, but we are not here to kiss up to the collectors." But aren't they? Who do they think is going to buy a special Stephen King NRB box for $75? Isn't it us crazy King collectors?! I think I'm going to take my King box (and my April box, since it's already coming) and say goodbye permanently. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

This. I cancelled this morning.

peripheral
04-07-2018, 02:49 PM
They fukt this opportunity, big time. They never sent me (or hundreds of others, apparently) the pre-order email link after I subscribed (which is not biggie because I was only interested in a signed Salems and King didn't sign), after I messaged them to confirm my subscription would make me eligible.

So, I emailed them and queried what was the advantage of my subscription, if not for the early pre-order email? They responded sarcastically and dismissively. Not the way to keep a customer base. It's rarely the problem, but the way one manages the problem, that matters.

Anyway, personally, I never liked their show bags of trinkets before... And now, well. See ya later.

TravelinJack
04-07-2018, 03:02 PM
The other thing to note is if CD, SubPress, PS, you name it, did this we’d be just as put off and vocal. This isn’t a brash attack against NRB for NRBs sake, it was a bad move any way you slice it. And like Antoni said, it’s all about the professionalism of damage control that can rectify things. This they failed miserably.

It’s a shame as I root for small businesses, and they may have been onto something neat. However, you lose the trust of your customer-base, and mock them no less, it will be tough to recover. I wasn’t even tracking this and trying to get one and I feel put off by the tactics and antics.

Everything comes down to effective communication.

peripheral
04-07-2018, 03:16 PM
The other thing to note is if CD, SubPress, PS, you name it, did this we’d be just as put off and vocal. This isn’t a brash attack against NRB for NRBs sake, it was a bad move any way you slice it. And like Antoni said, it’s all about the professionalism of damage control that can rectify things. This they failed miserably.

It’s a shame as I root for small businesses, and they may have been onto something neat. However, you lose the trust of your customer-base, and mock them no less, it will be tough to recover. I wasn’t even tracking this and trying to get one and I feel put off by the tactics and antics.

Exactly. I've had problems with orders from PS, Cemetery Dance, and others in the past, and it was always handled professionally and with excellent customer service. That’s the thing that matters.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-07-2018, 03:49 PM
I received an E-mail saying they'd send me an E-mail after the initial boxes were offered to the subscribers, but I never did get a second announcement. Oh well.

Br!an
04-07-2018, 04:55 PM
They might not be smart, but they are smart enough to not join this site to comment.

Father Cody
04-07-2018, 05:58 PM
They might not be smart, but they are smart enough to not join this site to comment.

I think they don’t care enough about us. Which is odd considering how many of us there are and how many of us who are active on Facebook and Twitter. All I can say for sure though is I won’t be subscribing. All the commentary aside, they didn’t deliver on their word. Plenty of other reputable places to spend my book money at.

herbertwest
04-08-2018, 02:40 AM
They fukt this opportunity, big time. They never sent me (or hundreds of others, apparently) the pre-order email link after I subscribed (which is not biggie because I was only interested in a signed Salems and King didn't sign), after I messaged them to confirm my subscription would make me eligible.

So, I emailed them and queried what was the advantage of my subscription, if not for the early pre-order email? They responded sarcastically and dismissively. Not the way to keep a customer base. It's rarely the problem, but the way one manages the problem, that matters.

Anyway, personally, I never liked their show bags of trinkets before... And now, well. See ya later.

I've read on twitter that they did share a mockup cover for SALEM'S LOT.
Would it be possible to see it somehow? And what was their plan : to do cover variant for all books?

herbertwest
04-08-2018, 02:43 AM

I would disagree. "Major" king collectors are on this forum, and those hardcover collectors are part of their target.
So, they may be clever not to come here for not being complained out, but as it's been said, it would be a perfect place to try to fix it out.

You know very well that the customer service is very important. Remember how 10 years or so ago, people were PISSED OFF at CD, and that after that all turned out to the better?

I was at a marketing conference those past few years. In one of the conference, it was said that for compensating 1 negative comment on a brand, 12 positive ones are needed

stroppygoblin
04-08-2018, 03:14 AM

I've read on twitter that they did share a mockup cover for SALEM'S LOT.
Would it be possible to see it somehow? And what was their plan : to do cover variant for all books?

Here is a link (https://mailchi.mp/ea9bcdb71399/updatecover-sneak-peek) with their meaningless explanation and :FU: to collectors. It also has an image of their mockup of the book. Not impressed, looks like a paperback. (it will actually be a dustjacket on a hardback, but they weren't able to show that) Just another example of the lack of professionalism exhibited by this company.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ebfd29a71c5b3d4b269123dea/images/d923618a-9fae-47c3-b76d-c5d4c2b549df.jpg

TravelinJack
04-08-2018, 04:24 AM
I just read the blurb from the link. Pretty interesting. If they always sensor and delete negative reviews/comments instead of addressing them, that also is shifty. Own the mistake and apologize for it, don’t ridicule people. I have no doubt they have their loyal base, but anyone that practices business this way will not make it in the long run. You have to have thick skin to be a business owner. In any industry.

There will no doubt be customers that are not being fair in their critisisms, and there will be times when you do something wrong, but trying to hide from it all is not the best solution in today’s world. They can’t delete twitter, facebook, yelp, and google reviews/etc, right?

My guess is those that had their comments removed by them will repost on various mediums, just a matter of time. This will make things 3 times worse for NRB. They should have just owned it, apologized and worked with it. Pretty shocked they went this route.

Lurker
04-08-2018, 04:55 AM
Kinda reminds me of a few months ago when it was, um, Gauntlet Press? that implied SK would be doing a "little" book for Borderlands. Pretty much the same thing eh?

Jimimck
04-08-2018, 09:08 AM
I just read the blurb from the link. Pretty interesting. If they always sensor and delete negative reviews/comments instead of addressing them, that also is shifty. Own the mistake and apologize for it, don’t ridicule people. I have no doubt they have their loyal base, but anyone that practices business this way will not make it in the long run. You have to have thick skin to be a business owner. In any industry.

There will no doubt be customers that are not being fair in their critisisms, and there will be times when you do something wrong, but trying to hide from it all is not the best solution in today’s world. They can’t delete twitter, facebook, yelp, and google reviews/etc, right?

My guess is those that had their comments removed by them will repost on various mediums, just a matter of time. This will make things 3 times worse for NRB. They should have just owned it, apologized and worked with it. Pretty shocked they went this route.

I'm one that had my comments on their page removed. It prompted my argument with Vincent via Messenger, which lead me to block him from a FB fan group and fair to say I haven't been complimentary of them online since.

Br!an
04-08-2018, 10:36 AM

I would disagree. "Major" king collectors are on this forum, and those hardcover collectors are part of their target.
So, they may be clever not to come here for not being complained out, but as it's been said, it would be a perfect place to try to fix it out.

You know very well that the customer service is very important. Remember how 10 years or so ago, people were PISSED OFF at CD, and that after that all turned out to the better?

I was at a marketing conference those past few years. In one of the conference, it was said that for compensating 1 negative comment on a brand, 12 positive ones are needed

They don't seem to want to fix it. They seem to want to bury it.

I agree that the smartest thing they could do is to own up to their mistakes.

They could have said, "We are new to publishing. It turned out to be more difficult and complicated than we expected. We apologize for our mistakes. We have learned from them and will never repeat them."

They might have found that collectors were willing to forgive this incident.

Instead, they basically said get over it, and BTW we don't actually care about you anyway.

Br!an
04-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Exactly. I've had problems with orders from PS, Cemetery Dance, and others in the past, and it was always handled professionally and with excellent customer service. That’s the thing that matters.

Prior to this, my only problem with them was that shipping took too long. I received a previous box with damaged items and they replaced them without complaint.

I think that this endeavor was simply above their pay grade.

They seem to have taken things personally instead of professionally.

dnemec
04-08-2018, 01:27 PM

I think you might have hit the nail on the head.

TravelinJack
04-08-2018, 03:03 PM

I think you might have hit the nail on the head.

I agree

stroppygoblin
04-13-2018, 06:52 AM
Finally got a response from NRB. Are these people like 5 years old? and they have the audacity to call me childish!

I had already apologized to those involved, and the wording was loose because we we're still waiting to hear back. Nothing was trying to deliberately decieve anyone. We were told by his agent that he was pushing for a few hundred, which seemed like a good sign. It didn't happen. I wanted to make sure that collectors DID have a chance to get a signed one if we got them. Had I not said anything, people would have been upset also. Turns out we are getting 38 books signed and the pages are on their way to the binder now, but NONE of you will get one. You and the others that whined about it, should be aware that I was trying to give you a chance to get a rare collectible, but it didnt work out.

Next time you won't get a chance. Because of your childish behavior.

You are not going to insult me or my company and say, now refund me even though I digitally signed a contract. No, not happening. Good luck. I hope you file a dispute so I can get more from you.

And don't try and tell me how to run my business. Where's your book? Where's your special editions you are putting out? How many books have you gotten signed? I didnt think so.

Continue to dwell on the bad instead of what I was trying to do for you. And no, I don't need you. When our lettered and numbered editions are done next year, I guarantee you someone will buy them. I will make sure that you don't get one, serious collector.

Oh and I have 22 lettered editions and 28 numbered, 15 hand signed first. Thats Just from SK. Again, I was trying to help you people out, but you shit on it, so it will be the last time.

EDIT: FYI, this is the part of my email, that might have got up his nose: :emot-butt:
"I’m a serious collector and spend a great deal of money on collectible books. I am, judging by your on-line responses, an individual that your business does not care about, you can apparently “do without me”. If that is the case I suggest you stay away from trying to play in the big leagues and focus on your small collection of sycophantic followers who will purchase your normal throw away items."

Randall Flagg
04-13-2018, 07:10 AM
It's an interesting business model to alienate customers.

WeDealInLead
04-13-2018, 07:14 AM
I'm a firm believer that customer is not always right, but even I think their behaviour is incredibly rude.

Still, I wonder if any of this will stop the collectors from lining up for those signed books.

AKC
04-13-2018, 07:20 AM
I signed up the day before the "announcement" and quickly cancelled once we learned the joke was on us. Didn't even try to get my $43 back.....

Have no interest in trying to discuss a rationale outcome with a company that aspires to be in conversations with the likes of Cemetery Dance, Suntup and others but clearly is not capable of the same success.

In the interim, perhaps they should hire somebody to handle their Public Relations strategy on their behalf. Clearly missing the mark in this regard.

Father Cody
04-13-2018, 07:38 AM
What a cry baby! So, are we disseminating this across the groups where the sycophants hang out with their heads up this guy’s ass?

stroppygoblin
04-13-2018, 08:22 AM
new game! everyone get on FB and add to the discussion on NRB's Facebook page. I just posted what they wrote as a review and they cam back saying i'm not a customer, i'm a troll "wanting to bash his company"

If you received a trash email then please feel free to post it on their reviews page.

herbertwest
04-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Was the preorder payment via paypal?
Couldnt be dispute via paypal?

Father Cody
04-13-2018, 08:41 AM
new game! everyone get on FB and add to the discussion on NRB's Facebook page. I just posted what they wrote as a review and they cam back saying i'm not a customer, i'm a troll "wanting to bash his company"

If you received a trash email then please feel free to post it on their reviews page.

I think you check mated him with that comment about the announcement being before he’d even asked.

stroppygoblin
04-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Was the preorder payment via paypal?
Couldnt be dispute via paypal?

They have this covered in a "Subscription Contract":
If you are not granted a refund and you dispute this with your bank or card,you will lose the dispute and be charged by us an additional $16 for the dispute fee (agreed upon by the card processor).

Another example of how worried they are about people cancelling when they find out "What's in the box..."

herbertwest
04-13-2018, 10:25 AM
This is their NRB claim, but can't someone block that company to charge some more fees? And therefore dispute with paypal?

Ricky
04-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Wow. I have never ordered from NRB before but I never will after seeing how childish their responses are and how poor their customer service is. Prime example of how to run your own business into the ground. People forget about products they order, but not about how they were treated.

Brian861
04-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Finally got a response from NRB. Are these people like 5 years old? and they have the audacity to call me childish!

I had already apologized to those involved, and the wording was loose because we we're still waiting to hear back. Nothing was trying to deliberately decieve anyone. We were told by his agent that he was pushing for a few hundred, which seemed like a good sign. It didn't happen. I wanted to make sure that collectors DID have a chance to get a signed one if we got them. Had I not said anything, people would have been upset also. Turns out we are getting 38 books signed and the pages are on their way to the binder now, but NONE of you will get one. You and the others that whined about it, should be aware that I was trying to give you a chance to get a rare collectible, but it didnt work out.

Next time you won't get a chance. Because of your childish behavior.

You are not going to insult me or my company and say, now refund me even though I digitally signed a contract. No, not happening. Good luck. I hope you file a dispute so I can get more from you.

And don't try and tell me how to run my business. Where's your book? Where's your special editions you are putting out? How many books have you gotten signed? I didnt think so.

Continue to dwell on the bad instead of what I was trying to do for you. And no, I don't need you. When our lettered and numbered editions are done next year, I guarantee you someone will buy them. I will make sure that you don't get one, serious collector.

Oh and I have 22 lettered editions and 28 numbered, 15 hand signed first. Thats Just from SK. Again, I was trying to help you people out, but you shit on it, so it will be the last time.

EDIT: FYI, this is the part of my email, that might have got up his nose: :emot-butt:
"I’m a serious collector and spend a great deal of money on collectible books. I am, judging by your on-line responses, an individual that your business does not care about, you can apparently “do without me”. If that is the case I suggest you stay away from trying to play in the big leagues and focus on your small collection of sycophantic followers who will purchase your normal throw away items."

Thanks for sharing, Simon. I also shared your post with the folks over on the CD forum.

somekindofstranger
04-14-2018, 02:52 AM

So are they deleting the bad reviews now, as can't see them?

stroppygoblin
04-14-2018, 03:14 AM

No still there. I posted it in their reviews section which apparently they can’t delete.

TravelinJack
04-14-2018, 03:23 AM

They have been deleting bad reviews where they are able to. I googled them the other day, they do have pretty high ratings. In the short term they may prevail. However, I’d imagine with the owner’s personality and behavior, it can only last for so long. Karma will bite them at some point.

After reading how he responded to Simon, I’m in shock that some form of the collecting masses isn’t spiking the negative reviews. If they are, NRB seems to be ahead of it.

I also found the part about them actually getting 38 King signed copies, or whatever it was, bogus. We’ll see, but that’s an odd amount. Regardless, they mention growing in the S/L game. In a way I feel bad for them, they just won’t make it, not with the way they operate. Right now they can make it with the sub boxes, but once they start trying to charge more for S/Ls again, good luck, he just shunned his primary customer base for that. Plus, no one will believe them and preorder. I sure wouldn’t. Last thing I want is that geoup having any of my payment info.

Shame it all went down like that. Again, sorry to all that got burned by NRB.

Father Cody
04-14-2018, 06:09 AM

Last thing I want is that geoup having any of my payment info.

Have to say, I’m a little worried they, or he I should say, has mine. It seems it’s one guy here who’s the problem- the owner. And another thing I noticed. He’s in with some of the admins from that big Stephen King Facebook group. The one where the admins bite their members’ heads and team up calling members cunts for taking any kind of issue with their group. This Tyler guy reminds me an awful lot of those assholes.

Jimimck
04-14-2018, 12:02 PM
What group is that Adam?

Father Cody
04-14-2018, 12:06 PM
What group is that Adam?

Not yours haha. It’s called Stephen King and that’s it.

Randall Flagg
04-14-2018, 12:49 PM
FYI, Nocturnal can almost say what they want in their Terms of Service/Agreement, but Paypal, and all other Credit Card companies have policies that trump what an individual business may say or attempt.

There is no way that NRB can successfully charge $16 for disputing a charge (whether the customer wins or loses the dispute). It's that simple.

surly
04-15-2018, 09:12 AM
This whole situation is unfortunate, but is it wrong i find myself wondering what 28 SLs and 22 lettered he has?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-15-2018, 09:46 AM
This whole situation is unfortunate, but is it wrong i find myself wondering what 28 SLs and 22 lettered he has?

My guess is they are all from the 21st century.

Beverly Marsh
04-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Wow. This whole thing ended up being a giant cluster. Their response to Simon is utterly ridiculous. I don't believe for a second they have signed/lettered anything and if it ends up that they do who gets them?
I'll get the April box and this Salems Lot "special edition" because the hassle 'aint worth it and I am done.

amd013
04-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Wow. This whole thing ended up being a giant cluster. Their response to Simon is utterly ridiculous. I don't believe for a second they have signed/lettered anything and if it ends up that they do who gets them?
I'll get the April box and this Salems Lot "special edition" because the hassle 'aint worth it and I am done.

I think he was boasting he posses Stephen King Signed Limited numbered and lettered editions in his personal collection.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-15-2018, 01:34 PM
I am going to write the letter 'A' in all of my Stephen King books and then I can honestly say I have over 750 lettered King books.

Beverly Marsh
04-17-2018, 09:01 AM

I think he was boasting he posses Stephen King Signed Limited numbered and lettered editions in his personal collection.

Ah! That makes sense. Thank you! A little slow on the uptake sometimes :)

Beverly Marsh
04-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Well I ended up with a signed Unbury Carol so I'm a little appeased. But not enough to un cancel!

Lookwhoitis
04-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Given the way these folks are behaving, I am very glad that i did not order anything from these individuals since the Gwendy's box

Merlin1958
04-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Anyone have a link to this FB page?

Father Cody
04-17-2018, 11:57 AM

You mean his personal page or NRB’s? Here’s NRB’s page:

https://m.facebook.com/TheNocturnalReadersBox/

Should I get some popcorn?

dnemec
04-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Well I ended up with a signed Unbury Carol so I'm a little appeased. But not enough to un cancel!

Lucky you! I'm jealous! I really enjoyed it!

On the other hand, my box still isn't even tracking. *sigh*

stroppygoblin
04-17-2018, 12:49 PM

You mean his personal page or NRB’s? Here’s NRB’s page:

https://m.facebook.com/TheNocturnalReadersBox/

Should I get some popcorn?

Head to the review section Bill - that’s where all the fun starts... :evil:

Patrick
04-17-2018, 01:57 PM
In looking at the Reviews section of the NRB page on FB, I don’t see any reviews referencing these issues. Very few poor reviews that are a few months old. Have reviews been deleted somehow?

Merlin1958
04-17-2018, 01:59 PM
In looking at the Reviews section of the NRB page on FB, I don’t see any reviews referencing these issues. Very few poor reviews that are a few months old. Have reviews been deleted somehow?

As a test, Patrick see how long my neg post lasts.

stroppygoblin
04-17-2018, 02:15 PM

Try this link (https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheNocturnalReadersBox/reviews/)

For me, the reviews are listed in order of "Most Helpful" (comedy gold as mine is first in that list! :P) but you can also order by Most Recent and Star Rating - check how yours is being ordered.

TravelinJack
04-17-2018, 02:23 PM
It appears that they are deleting them. I don’t do facebook so I’m limited to what’s public, but if anyone has been posting much negative feedback, I don’t see it.

amd013
04-17-2018, 02:53 PM
just checked and I see Simon's posts, so don't think they are deleting them. didn't see them until I saw Simon's comment about how they are sorted (don't do facebook, so was unaware of that). For me with the "Most Helpful" sorting, it is fairly buried, maybe for Simon it is near the top, since it is his comments (so more "helpful" to him?).

TravelinJack
04-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Ah - I see. Since I dont have a FB account I can’t see the full review or the comments beneath it.

Jimimck
04-17-2018, 03:10 PM
I don't think they can delete reviews, but they have deleted posts on their page that were not complimentary.

amd013
04-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Ah - I see. Since I dont have a FB account I can’t see the full review or the comments beneath it.

I don't have a FB account either, so I don't think that is the issue.

Patrick
04-17-2018, 04:22 PM
The phone app does not appear to provide an option to re-sort the reviews. Annoying.

Br!an
04-17-2018, 04:26 PM
I don't have a FB account and read the whole thing. I also saw Bill's review.

I almost wish I did have a FB account because I had a few thing I would have said.

He called Simon a troll. :nope:

He said Simon wasn't a customer. :nope:

He posted parts of emails to support his position. :nope:

It appears as if he asked Chuck to have King sign signature pages on April, 3rd. Chuck told him, "Sorry, but no" late on the 4th. I see this as Chuck not giving a fuck about Vincent.

Tyne Hunter replied, an hour before the start of the sale, to an unknown previous email from Vincent asking for King's signature that "Stephen will not sign as a matter of principle, regardless of [your bullshit] the account, money, relationship." That reads to me that Vincent shit the bed.

What I'm not seeing is anything about The Outsiders tour, which was his excuse in the first place.

Jimimck
04-17-2018, 04:43 PM
What I'm not seeing is anything about The Outsiders tour, which was his excuse in the first place.

I read someone had checked with Marsha directly, and she confirmed there was no tour planned. Obviously that is just second hand information, but I believe it. Another NRB lie.

Aronstg
04-17-2018, 05:58 PM
I hope that this causes some publishers to stay clear of them. I mean they must have gotten permission from Lonely Roads to do Gwendy's right? I'm just shocked reading all of this and I didn't even order the book.

Merlin1958
04-17-2018, 06:23 PM
Fuck it!!! I say we flame the shit outta the fuckers!!! Nobody, but nobody does my boyz/girlz like that!!!!!! You'all feel me??? Peace be to ya, but I gotta do ya!!!!! lol

Get in there and "Like" all the comments by our FFF (Fellow Forum Folks) and let 'em have it in the comments section!!!! These guys don't deserve to "make a living" in this racket!!!! So load up those flamethrowers!!!! :emot-flame::emot-flame::emot-flame:

Initiate this campaign and you show your support and appreciation for the guys that do it right like Cemetery Dance, Suntup, and all the honest hardworking folks in the small press business who work so hard to do the RIGHT THING by us, the collectors!!!!

jsmcmullen92
04-18-2018, 06:00 AM
This is a funny read that just screams "shut this business down"
https://www.facebook.com/christine.l.hoffman/posts/10215361912151940:0

Just click where it says 24 comments to read all the back and forth.

Father Cody
04-18-2018, 06:05 AM
This is a funny read that just screams "shut this business down"
https://www.facebook.com/christine.l.hoffman/posts/10215361912151940:0

Just click where it says 24 comments to read all the back and forth.

And it was months ago. Why does this guy think customers have to kiss his ass? I wonder if a comment bumps a review to the top...

WeDealInLead
04-18-2018, 06:24 AM
NRB: How to Run Your Business into the Ground 101.

Brian861
04-18-2018, 08:01 AM

Not a slam against you, Lori but, that's not much of a sig. Looks like a child scribbled in a book.

Beverly Marsh
04-18-2018, 12:53 PM

Not a slam against you, Lori but, that's not much of a sig. Looks like a child scribbled in a book.

Lol, it really does Brian. I asked a friend of mine who has several signed Malerman books and she confirmed that those two squiggly lines are indeed his signature :lol: I loved Bird Box and am excited to read this one(which Dez confirmed is quite good. and thanks Dez!) so I was happy to receive it. However, I did have to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a printing error or something.

Cwalker
04-18-2018, 02:36 PM

Lol, it really does Brian. I asked a friend of mine who has several signed Malerman books and she confirmed that those two squiggly lines are indeed his signature :lol: I loved Bird Box and am excited to read this one(which Dez confirmed is quite good. and thanks Dez!) so I was happy to receive it. However, I did have to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a printing error or something.

Yeah, I gave Malerman a hard time in Haverhill a couple years ago telling him he should take signing lessons from Kat Howard. His is a couple of squiggles and she takes 30seconds on each of hers! Both great folk though... 🙂

Br!an
04-20-2018, 09:47 AM
If you used PayPal to pay, when you cancel be sure to go to the PayPal Manage Preapproved Payments (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_manage-paylist) page and cancel Cratejoy.com.

dnemec
04-21-2018, 11:56 AM
I finally got my April box today (the 21st!), and I am underwhelmed. My Unbury Carol copy isn't signed, and while I know that is not guaranteed, I was hoping for it since it took so long to get here. And my shipping was not expedited as they said it would be. My annoyance level is on the rise. I sure as hell hope this 'Salem's Lot is worth it!

Father Cody
04-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Hope it works out for you, Dez. I ordered a TLW shirt and The Shining themed tape roll before learning about their shady ways. The tape roll was delivered yesterday but no shirt. No idea when or if I’ll receive it.

Merlin1958
They replied to my "review" and I directed them here. Doubt they will show, but the gauntlet has been dropped once again!!!

Father Cody
They replied to my "review" and I directed them here. Doubt they will show, but the gauntlet has been dropped once again!!!

I can’t find your review. Gotta link?

Merlin1958
04-21-2018, 12:23 PM

I can’t find your review. Gotta link?

https://www.facebook.com/william.benderjr/activity/2030973933597354?comment_id=2034556719905742&notif_id=1524297090603763&notif_t=open_graph_action_comment&ref=notif

Brian861
04-21-2018, 12:26 PM
I finally got my April box today (the 21st!), and I am underwhelmed. My Unbury Carol copy isn't signed, and while I know that is not guaranteed, I was hoping for it since it took so long to get here. And my shipping was not expedited as they said it would be. My annoyance level is on the rise. I sure as hell hope this 'Salem's Lot is worth it!

Just send your book to me, Dez. I'll scribble in it for ya :)

Merlin1958
04-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Well, NRB responded to me saying he applied for a user name and pass, but heard nothing. As it happens I was talking to, Jerome at the time so I responded requesting his proposed username and RF said he will immediately forward a temporary password. Let's see what happens, eh? lol

Br!an
04-21-2018, 01:12 PM

I'm still waiting. The box arrived at my Post Office this afternoon, so I'll get it Monday.

Merlin1958
04-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Worked it out with, RF and if he has the chutzpah you will see him as "Samsteele" on these boards. We shall see!!!

Randall Flagg
04-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Let's give him a chance to voice his thoughts. I'm looking forward to hearing from him.

Merlin1958
04-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Let's give him a chance to voice his thoughts. I'm looking forward to hearing from him.

Absolutely. I just did the leg work, you did the admin and I'll let the members do their thing. You're right though. He should be afforded an opportunity to state his case.

Samsteele
04-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks for getting the registration done for me Mr. Bender Jr.! So I meant to get this out to you much sooner, but rightly so I've been blocked from like 90% of the FB groups, and I tried a couple times to register on here, but to no avail. So I just wanted to start out with an apology. I read through the thread and see the intense hate that my actions have warranted and wanted to say that I understand. I don't want to make any excuses (but I will really quick because there is a reason for my actions). So right before we launched Salem's Lot, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, three days after we launched my daughter was born. This, plus the book release and the unfortunate news we received minutes before caused a shitload of stress...thats mounted on Major depression and ptsd from my time in the Marines. Again, I see your point of view and agree wholeheartedly. I was shitty, immature, and was incredibly unprofessional. I honestly just wanted to do something cool for you guys, and it didn't work out. I never meant to swindle anyone...I don't care about money that much.

I want to hear all your feedback! No one is blocked from our FB page anymore, and hasn't been since a few days after. Feel free to drop any criticism you see fit, and we will do what we can to hopefully mend the issue. I want to say that I really do love the collector community, and being a collector myself I feel more shitty than you know. I am not asking for your forgiveness, or try to lure you back, or anything, I just wanted to say that I am sorry for how I acted and no matter what, I will be SO FUCKING NICE, you might kick me out, but I would be ok with that.

peripheral
04-21-2018, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z49xZ7VcfqE

jhanic
04-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Welcome, Sam!! I hope you stick around and join the conversations! You'll find that we are very ardent collectors here.

John

Merlin1958
04-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Glad you finally made it here!!

Jimimck
04-21-2018, 03:32 PM
One of the collectors here was even successful in securing Kings signature for an amazing upcoming publication...

stroppygoblin
04-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks for getting the registration done for me Mr. Bender Jr.! So I meant to get this out to you much sooner, but rightly so I've been blocked from like 90% of the FB groups, and I tried a couple times to register on here, but to no avail. So I just wanted to start out with an apology. I read through the thread and see the intense hate that my actions have warranted and wanted to say that I understand. I don't want to make any excuses (but I will really quick because there is a reason for my actions). So right before we launched Salem's Lot, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, three days after we launched my daughter was born. This, plus the book release and the unfortunate news we received minutes before caused a shitload of stress...thats mounted on Major depression and ptsd from my time in the Marines. Again, I see your point of view and agree wholeheartedly. I was shitty, immature, and was incredibly unprofessional. I honestly just wanted to do something cool for you guys, and it didn't work out. I never meant to swindle anyone...I don't care about money that much.

I want to hear all your feedback! No one is blocked from our FB page anymore, and hasn't been since a few days after. Feel free to drop any criticism you see fit, and we will do what we can to hopefully mend the issue. I want to say that I really do love the collector community, and being a collector myself I feel more shitty than you know. I am not asking for your forgiveness, or try to lure you back, or anything, I just wanted to say that I am sorry for how I acted and no matter what, I will be SO FUCKING NICE, you might kick me out, but I would be ok with that.

Firstly, let me thank you for making the effort to join the site, it does show a certain willingness to make things right.
In case you don’t associate my name here with my Facebook login, I’m Simon Mason whom you sent the email to that initiated much of the feedback. It serves no purpose to resurrect its contents, but the original message is still pertanant- it’s not the mistakes you make, but how you deal with them that’s important. Customers will not always be happy, sometimes this will be out of your hands, however when it is in your control, you should do everything you can to make it right.

Announcing a signed limited book before it was confirmed was at best naive and your handling of the fall out was clumsy. Many collectors signed up for the monthly box JUST to get this book and when it didn’t appear were justifiably annoyed. As these extra subscriptions would never have happened without the option of the S/L, what you should have done would have been to apologise for the last minute let down and IMMEDIATELY offer a refund to anyone who wanted it. You wouldn’t be out of pocket as you had not yet had to order additional items for that next box and you might have kept a number of those new customers as well. Those that only wanted the opportunity of getting the S/L would also not have been out of pocket and would most probably have commended you for your honest business practices- a win/win rather than the massive backlash that you got just to keep a few extra $$ from new subscriptions (all of which I am sure cancelled immediately)

I thank you for your general apology and truly hope that the experience has enlightened you.

Merlin1958
04-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Well said, Simon!!!!

Room 217 Caretaker
04-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Well said, Simon!!!!

+1

Father Cody
04-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Well said, Simon!!!!

+1

+1

webstar1000
04-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Perfect Simon. 100% agree!

Jimimck
04-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Isn't it interesting everyone agrees with Simon (me included), yet NRB didn't think that way to begin with. Shame it took such an outcry from the customer base for such a period of time before the obvious became aware to them.

Randall Flagg
04-22-2018, 02:59 PM
It took a fair amount of guts for Simonsteele to actually show up here and post a compelling apology.

It was more important to hear a cogent account of the "customer" experience from stroppygoblin "Simon Mason".

What happens now is in the hands of the folks at NRB.

There was a time ~11 years ago where Cemetery Dance was questioned here regarding their customer service (or lack of service).

On 9/1/2010, Brian James Freeman from Cemetery Dance posted (Thread here post #2024 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5552-Cemetery-Dance-discussion-thread&p=540545#post540545)) and helped begin the public resurrection of CD's reputation.

Cemetery Dance didn't need our site, but they (IMO) saw an opportunity to directly respond to their customers (sometimes referred to as "collectors"), and resolve issues to a large community-often in one post rather than sending 100's of emails to answer a similar question.

The world is greatly different today than it was was 8+ years ago, but most businesses that provide outstanding customer service in their market niche do well.

TravelinJack
04-22-2018, 04:07 PM
I feel that I should make a response as well, since I was active in this conversation. There is a good discussion going on here. I too, want to commend Sam for coming onto the site and making a statement as well as apologizing to this community. As Jerome said, it does take guts. I also agree with Simon and many other comments made.

Sam - I want to break a couple things down from a fellow business owner to another; as well as a fellow Marine to another (Semper Fi). Now, I understand how difficult it can be to start a business, let alone push through the ups and, especially, downs to see it gain some legs and hopefully go forth into longevity. This is a challenging experience you are going through, with a tremendous amount of negative feedback (trust me no one ever wants to have to deal with a situation like this) alas it is still upon you.

One thing that I think is vital is, to be able to separate personal life with business. Especially from a forward (customer) facing perspective. Now of course we are all human, things happen. Much of which is unfortunately out of our control. I caution you though, with an outpouring of personal ailments to your customer base especially with a base that doesn't 'know' you very well - yet. It tends to borderline a quick rectification by way of guilt. A way to stifle feedback. It is very difficult for someone to speak their frustration with NRB, the recent situation with Salem’s, when you drop personal news on that level and can muddy the actual apology. It sucks when your world is spinning, I know it. But bottom line is you do have a business, and that business has customers. Customers that are paying you money to run that business to the level of expectation you have set, not them.

As a Marine, it is instilled upon us to do the best that we can at any task that is thrown at us with as much integrity as possible. To understand that things may not go as planned, all hell could break loose, but we must do our best to persevere no matter how much it hurts, physically or emotionally. A lot of this bleeds into the professional realm. As a business leader, or business owner (large or small) it is critical to tackle these things and do so in a way that you would want your employees to emulate. A way that you would want your customers to respect. Things happen, we get that. But an apology will always be more sincere if it is direct, without strings, no matter how many things are at play. People will respect that, will be inspired by it, and will be more likely to give you another shot.

I know I know, who am I to even lecture you, or anyone for that matter. I write this, because I do care. I care about the collecting community, and you better believe I care about my brother and sister Marines, all of my extended family in arms.

I know this situation isnt' easy, and I hope that you take this as a learning experience and apply it. This Dark Tower Forum is a solid group. Many mature ones in the bunch. A lot of smart folks (some ‘wise’ guys and gals too, but it wouldn't be fun without them).

I leave you with this. If we aren't able to empty our cups from time to time, it would constantly overflow.

Hope that makes sense.

I wish you the best.

:thumbsup:

PS - I am terribly sorry about your Mother’s diagnosis. I also want to congratulate you on your new born. You are taking on a lot, hang in there.

Samsteele
04-23-2018, 05:18 AM

Firstly, let me thank you for making the effort to join the site, it does show a certain willingness to make things right.
In case you don’t associate my name here with my Facebook login, I’m Simon Mason whom you sent the email to that initiated much of the feedback. It serves no purpose to resurrect its contents, but the original message is still pertanant- it’s not the mistakes you make, but how you deal with them that’s important. Customers will not always be happy, sometimes this will be out of your hands, however when it is in your control, you should do everything you can to make it right.

Announcing a signed limited book before it was confirmed was at best naive and your handling of the fall out was clumsy. Many collectors signed up for the monthly box JUST to get this book and when it didn’t appear were justifiably annoyed. As these extra subscriptions would never have happened without the option of the S/L, what you should have done would have been to apologise for the last minute let down and IMMEDIATELY offer a refund to anyone who wanted it. You wouldn’t be out of pocket as you had not yet had to order additional items for that next box and you might have kept a number of those new customers as well. Those that only wanted the opportunity of getting the S/L would also not have been out of pocket and would most probably have commended you for your honest business practices- a win/win rather than the massive backlash that you got just to keep a few extra $$ from new subscriptions (all of which I am sure cancelled immediately)

I thank you for your general apology and truly hope that the experience has enlightened you.

I do see that. And I totally agree with you. I think I was just angry with the name calling and people saying that I was trying to swindle them, and let my emotions control my response. Obviously that can't happen. I would never try and swindle anyone, that not what we do, or even care to do. We have thousands of subscribers, and the bump from this sale was not what you probably think it was, around 50. So it wouldn't even make sense (of course this is all from my perspective) but I do know what it looks like from the outside now. I am sorry to you especially and to anyone that I reacted to negatively. It means more that a community like this exists and that I try and make this right with them. Simon, if you wouldn't mind, send me an email, so we can talk about making this right, I have a few ideas.

Samsteele
04-23-2018, 05:25 AM
I feel that I should make a response as well, since I was active in this conversation. There is a good discussion going on here. I too, want to commend Sam for coming onto the site and making a statement as well as apologizing to this community. As Jerome said, it does take guts. I also agree with Simon and many other comments made.

Sam - I want to break a couple things down from a fellow business owner to another; as well as a fellow Marine to another (Semper Fi). Now, I understand how difficult it can be to start a business, let alone push through the ups and, especially, downs to see it gain some legs and hopefully go forth into longevity. This is a challenging experience you are going through, with a tremendous amount of negative feedback (trust me no one ever wants to have to deal with a situation like this) alas it is still upon you.

One thing that I think is vital is, to be able to separate personal life with business. Especially from a forward (customer) facing perspective. Now of course we are all human, things happen. Much of which is unfortunately out of our control. I caution you though, with an outpouring of personal ailments to your customer base especially with a base that doesn't 'know' you very well - yet. It tends to borderline a quick rectification by way of guilt. A way to stifle feedback. It is very difficult for someone to speak their frustration with NRB, the recent situation with Salem’s, when you drop personal news on that level and can muddy the actual apology. It sucks when your world is spinning, I know it. But bottom line is you do have a business, and that business has customers. Customers that are paying you money to run that business to the level of expectation you have set, not them.

As a Marine, it is instilled upon us to do the best that we can at any task that is thrown at us with as much integrity as possible. To understand that things may not go as planned, all hell could break loose, but we must do our best to persevere no matter how much it hurts, physically or emotionally. A lot of this bleeds into the professional realm. As a business leader, or business owner (large or small) it is critical to tackle these things and do so in a way that you would want your employees to emulate. A way that you would want your customers to respect. Things happen, we get that. But an apology will always be more sincere if it is direct, without strings, no matter how many things are at play. People will respect that, will be inspired by it, and will be more likely to give you another shot.

I know I know, who am I to even lecture you, or anyone for that matter. I write this, because I do care. I care about the collecting community, and you better believe I care about my brother and sister Marines, all of my extended family in arms.

I know this situation isnt' easy, and I hope that you take this as a learning experience and apply it. This Dark Tower Forum is a solid group. Many mature ones in the bunch. A lot of smart folks (some ‘wise’ guys and gals too, but it wouldn't be fun without them).

I leave you with this. If we aren't able to empty our cups from time to time, it would constantly overflow.

Hope that makes sense.

I wish you the best.

PS - I am terribly sorry about your Mother’s diagnosis. I also want to congratulate you on your new born. You are taking on a lot, hang in there.

Hey Devil Dog, thanks for the advice, I just wanted to say that I mentioned the issues because I wanted people to know what I was dealing with. Not to get pity, or stifle feedback. Thats why after I said what the ailments were, I reenforced that I agreed I was being a dick, wholeheartedly. I hope it doesn't cheapen the apology, because it is sincere. Thanks for the condolences, and the congratulations. I've always told my other daughter that she can't let others dictate her mood, and here I am acting like a dickhead. Thanks for the advice, it will definitely be taken into account!

TravelinJack
04-23-2018, 06:06 AM
:thumbsup: onward and upward brother.

stroppygoblin
04-23-2018, 07:05 AM
Simon, if you wouldn't mind, send me an email, so we can talk about making this right, I have a few ideas. [/SIZE][/FONT]

email sent. :thumbsup:

webstar1000
04-23-2018, 07:14 AM

Hope that makes sense.

I wish you the best.

It's funny, I tried to convey this to Vincent as well when he was sending me ignorant emails and calling me to the lowest when i asked for my refund. I thought I had to buy 3 months so I did. He would not refund me until i threatened him. I am not going to post them as when he finally did relent and refunded me, I gave my word they would never see the light of day. I told him in the last exchange (and I will say it again to him now that he is here and seems to be taking this seriously and without anger now) that King collectors are a passionate breed. Books are a very emotional thing for people. When the masses thought there was a King S/L coming... they got excited. Emotions came into play. I wished him luck with his business and hoped he had taken my words seriously then I seen Simons issue. I will give him credit for trying as it sincerely does seem that he is now. Is the damage already done and it is too late? I am not sure... but I do echo your thoughts on the customers. I run a store and without them... I have no store.

Beverly Marsh
04-23-2018, 07:22 AM
+1 simon and jack. Very thoughtful replies and having Sam show up here deserves some kudos. Attempting to undo some damage while possibly incurring more wrath deserves some respect. I can't say if I will be a return customer in the future myself but it's certainly not a dead issue. You live and learn.
And prior Air Force over here ;)

sentinel
04-23-2018, 01:53 PM
I appreciate Sam addressing Simon's concerns. But, the reality is that May box was very underwhelming. The DT cap was nice but cheaply made.
The books were just average and the rest of the stuff was kind of juvenile, in my opinion. I won't be renewing.

Samsteele
04-23-2018, 01:54 PM
+1 simon and jack. Very thoughtful replies and having Sam show up here deserves some kudos. Attempting to undo some damage while possibly incurring more wrath deserves some respect. I can't say if I will be a return customer in the future myself but it's certainly not a dead issue. You live and learn.

If a bribe would help, I can send you a signed copy of Unbury Carol. Just shoot us an email...just throwing it out there!

Samsteele
04-23-2018, 01:58 PM
I appreciate Sam addressing Simon's concerns. But, the reality is that May box was very underwhelming. The DT cap was nice but cheaply made.
The books were just average and the rest of the stuff was kind of juvenile, in my opinion. I won't be renewing.

Appreciate the feedback!! To each their own. May has a shirt....if you want to see it, let me know (that goes for everyone) Its a Robert McCammon Shirt.

Br!an
04-24-2018, 02:24 AM

That was April.

TravelinJack
04-24-2018, 04:18 AM

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-24-2018, 04:43 AM
You flyboys (and girls) always have your heads in the clouds, if you ask me.

sentinel
04-24-2018, 08:04 AM

That was April.

Yes, Brian is right, the one that was just received, April.

Shannon
04-27-2018, 01:34 AM
Well ... that was an interesting read.

stroppygoblin
04-27-2018, 07:43 AM
I should add an update...

Vincent (Samsteele) has both publicly apologised to the community and also personally to me for his email response. I truly believe he regrets what was said and is doing his hardest to rectify that, including a couple of generous gestures to help with the Fund raiser.

As I said before, people make mistakes in life and it is how we deal with those mistakes that is important. Vincent and his company have learned a good lesson from this and I think it will serve to create a positive experience going forward. As far as I'm concerned, what has happened is in the past and I do not feel the need to dwell on such things. If there is anyone else out there that still has a grievance with TNB then I suggest you contact Vincent directly, I am sure something can be worked out.

I hope Vincent can make time to join in with more of the sites discussions and perhaps even start a collection thread, being a part of this community is a valuable insight to the thoughts, feelings, needs and wants of us 'collector types' :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
04-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Vincent (Samsteele) has both publicly apologised to the community and also personally to me for his email response. I truly believe he regrets what was said and is doing his hardest to rectify that, including a couple of generous gestures to help with the Fund raiser.

As I said before, people make mistakes in life and it is how we deal with those mistakes that is important. Vincent and his company have learned a good lesson from this and I think it will serve to create a positive experience going forward. As far as I'm concerned, what has happened is in the past and I do not feel the need to dwell on such things. If there is anyone else out there that still has a grievance with TNB then I suggest you contact Vincent directly, I am sure something can be worked out.

I hope Vincent can make time to join in with more of the sites discussions and perhaps even start a collection thread, being a part of this community is a valuable insight to the thoughts, feelings, needs and wants of us 'collector types' :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Father Cody
04-27-2018, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the update. I didn’t think he’d publicly apologize. I impressed that he did that. Thanks for being the voice of the collectors on this, Simon.

Thanks for righting things with the community, Vincent.

herbertwest
04-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Glad to hear that things are getting worked on !

Samsteele
04-27-2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks Simon, for being gracious in accepting my apology! And the the community, I hope to add some great stuff for us collectors in the near future. And yes please, if anyone has any concerns, feel free to contact me, or if you are interested in any type of collaborations, or know anyone who is, let me know!

jhanic
04-27-2018, 08:46 AM

Well said.

John

TravelinJack
04-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Great all around. I also saw NRB is donating to DT's fundraiser. Always great when things turn around for the better. Kudos to all involved. :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
04-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Great all around. I also saw NRB is donating to DT's fundraiser. Always great when things turn around for the better. Kudos to all involved. :thumbsup:
Info on NRB's donation to our fundraiser:
https://mailchi.mp/9ef392556f77/salems-lot-infofundraiser?e=69edf8ac1f

burial
04-27-2018, 09:59 AM
it is a good idea...

Merlin1958
04-27-2018, 10:10 AM
:clap::clap::clap:

Br!an
04-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Hey Vincent, it's good to see you here.

I appreciate the public apology and all you are doing to rectify the situation. I also appreciate the donation to the fundraiser as I am sure the libraries do also.

I want to apologize myself. I should not have rhetorically called out your masculinity. I should have said, "stepped up" instead of "manned up."

I canceled my subscription, after a year, a little more than a week ago, about the time Vincent joined the site but before he could post. When canceling the NRB site asks for a reason. I explained myself and Vincent replied...

My comment...

Since you've asked why I'm canceling my subscription, I'm happy to explain.

I'm a King collector. You have abused the King collecting community. There are people who purchased your April box, so they could have a chance to purchase the King box based upon King signed books probably being available. Claiming King would be signing books was an error in judgment. Whether or not you intended to mislead people about King signing by saying things such as "It looks like we will have a guaranteed quantity," the result was that you did so. I'm willing to wager that King declined to sign books for you because you were already promising he would. He declined to sign for you "as a matter of principle" after all.

You were then insulting to several members of the King collecting community, including calling people trolls and claiming that they were not your customers. I feel that you should have manned up and apologized. Instead you chose to argue and delete negative comments where you could.

Your 'Salem's Lot book is now less collectible than it would have been because of this debacle you've created.

Vincent's reply...

Hey Brian, I just read your cancellation notice and agree with what you've said. I shit the bed. I disagree about manning up though. I responded to the first 4 or 5 comments where people started saying that I misled them, but after that it got kind of gross. In an error of judgement I deleted comments and blocked people.

I have reached out to a few members affected and apologized, things were good with them. All others I have attempted to reach out to but I've either been blocked or am being ignored. Except, the person I'm sure you saw the aforementioned comments--Simon.

Not as a huge excuse but my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer two days before, my daughter was born a few days after, and I've been under a huge amount of stress. On top of that, major depression and PTSD. I would love to make a more appropriate apology, to the community but I am blocked from the groups, and I've tried to sign up in the forums and have not gotten any authorization emails. So that leaves me without that option right now.

Regardless of what happened I want you to know that I appreciate that feedback and appreciated your past support. I honestly just wanted to do something cool for everyone and it backfired. Live and learn. Now that my daughter is born, and my mom is operational, things are better and I did see the way I acted was shitty and I get that. From now on...people are going to hate me for how nice I am if thats a thing...kill them with kindness
(thats a saying right)?

I dont expect your forgiveness, just wanted to at least try and let you know that I understand how you think of me and agree.

Vincent

Samsteele
04-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Hey Vincent, it's good to see you here.

I appreciate the public apology and all you are doing to rectify the situation. I also appreciate the donation to the fundraiser as I am sure the libraries do also.

I want to apologize myself. I should not have rhetorically called out your masculinity. I should have said, "stepped up" instead of "manned up."

I canceled my subscription, after a year, a little more than a week ago, about the time Vincent joined the site but before he could post. When canceling the NRB site asks for a reason. I explained myself and Vincent replied...

My comment...

Since you've asked why I'm canceling my subscription, I'm happy to explain.

I'm a King collector. You have abused the King collecting community. There are people who purchased your April box, so they could have a chance to purchase the King box based upon King signed books probably being available. Claiming King would be signing books was an error in judgment. Whether or not you intended to mislead people about King signing by saying things such as "It looks like we will have a guaranteed quantity," the result was that you did so. I'm willing to wager that King declined to sign books for you because you were already promising he would. He declined to sign for you "as a matter of principle" after all.

You were then insulting to several members of the King collecting community, including calling people trolls and claiming that they were not your customers. I feel that you should have manned up and apologized. Instead you chose to argue and delete negative comments where you could.

Your 'Salem's Lot book is now less collectible than it would have been because of this debacle you've created.

Vincent's reply...

Hey Brian, I just read your cancellation notice and agree with what you've said. I shit the bed. I disagree about manning up though. I responded to the first 4 or 5 comments where people started saying that I misled them, but after that it got kind of gross. In an error of judgement I deleted comments and blocked people.

I have reached out to a few members affected and apologized, things were good with them. All others I have attempted to reach out to but I've either been blocked or am being ignored. Except, the person I'm sure you saw the aforementioned comments--Simon.

Not as a huge excuse but my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer two days before, my daughter was born a few days after, and I've been under a huge amount of stress. On top of that, major depression and PTSD. I would love to make a more appropriate apology, to the community but I am blocked from the groups, and I've tried to sign up in the forums and have not gotten any authorization emails. So that leaves me without that option right now.

Regardless of what happened I want you to know that I appreciate that feedback and appreciated your past support. I honestly just wanted to do something cool for everyone and it backfired. Live and learn. Now that my daughter is born, and my mom is operational, things are better and I did see the way I acted was shitty and I get that. From now on...people are going to hate me for how nice I am if thats a thing...kill them with kindness
(thats a saying right)?

I dont expect your forgiveness, just wanted to at least try and let you know that I understand how you think of me and agree.

Vincent

Thanks!! I really appreciate that. I hope I can help out the community, and really hope that I can become one of the regulars here.

Patrick
04-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Hi Vincent, I haven’t been a NRB customer and, based on feedback from people I respect, I had decided I never would be. Until today.

I commend you for joining us here, taking full, public accountability for past mistakes, and working to make things right on an individual basis. It speaks well of your character.

Welcome to TDT.org. Please stick around and continue to interact in the various threads and forums.

Sorry to hear about your mom (mine is there too).
Congrats on the arrival of your newest. Ain’t fatherhood grand?

Samsteele
05-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Hi Vincent, I haven’t been a NRB customer and, based on feedback from people I respect, I had decided I never would be. Until today.

I commend you for joining us here, taking full, public accountability for past mistakes, and working to make things right on an individual basis. It speaks well of your character.

Welcome to TDT.org. Please stick around and continue to interact in the various threads and forums.

Sorry to hear about your mom (mine is there too).
Congrats on the arrival of your newest. Ain’t fatherhood grand?

Thanks for saying so!!! I love this community, and this forum is pretty great, so I think I will stick around! and sorry about your mother as well, hope things look up for her!

Br!an
06-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Most recent email.

Hey, sorry for the lack of responses and updates. Vincent has been away dealing with some serious personal issues concerning his mental health. Everything got pushed back while he is working on coming back the right way. We are very concerned about his well-being and in the meantime are keeping work away from him. He is a veteran and is going through a pretty dark time right now.

June is all packed up and ready to ship, but I don't have that kind of authorization, so to those leaving comments and messages asking why I can't just do it, that is why. Because the manifest for shipping so many boxes cost a lot! To those who cannot wait at a minimum of a few more days (doctor's orders), we will issue refunds when Vincent gets back. July is also all lined up and starts packing next week as well.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you to all those that sent along well wishes. Vincent appreciates it very much. We love you all!

No mention of 'Salem's Lot.

Kingfan24
06-24-2018, 07:21 PM
What a cluster

webstar1000
06-25-2018, 01:54 AM
What a cluster

Kind of my thoughts with this company too. One thing after another.

stroppygoblin
06-25-2018, 02:02 AM
What a cluster

I may be the last person you’d expect to say this, given the history with NRB but let’s give them a break hey?
I’d hope we would be a group that would be more supportive of someone who is suffering from mental issues. It’s not a big company and having their main guy not able to work is a major impact on their business. They are being open and honest (VERY honest IMHO) and should be respected for that.

As collectors we are used to publisher delays and as long as no customer ends up out of pocket, I’m in favour of giving them a little slack.

Lurker
06-25-2018, 04:12 AM
If I could figure out how to give you a +1 ...

Merlin1958
06-25-2018, 06:07 AM
What a cluster

I may be the last person you’d expect to say this, given the history with NRB but let’s give them a break hey?
I’d hope we would be a group that would be more supportive of someone who is suffering from mental issues. It’s not a big company and having their main guy not able to work is a major impact on their business. They are being open and honest (VERY honest IMHO) and should be respected for that.

As collectors we are used to publisher delays and as long as no customer ends up out of pocket, I’m in favour of giving them a little slack.

+1

Brian861
06-25-2018, 06:34 AM
What a cluster

Agreed, Simon! Especially when it takes years at times to finally get a S/L in hand.

Unfortunately, mental health still cares that stigma. Seems folks are a lot more tolerant of physical issues/disabilities. Maybe Vincent could appoint a right hand man/woman to take over the reigns when the dark days are upon him.

darkseer
06-25-2018, 08:28 AM
What a cluster

+1

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-25-2018, 08:50 AM
I also agree with Simon on this (of course I disagree with him on EVERYTHING ELSE). I am willing to wait and see. I have waited years for books I've ordered to arrive, and while a few never did show up and I waved my money goodbye, the vast majority of them always got here.

webstar1000
06-25-2018, 08:56 AM
What a cluster

I wasn't attacking the company or it's owner. Merely pointing out that there seems to be a multitude of issues in such a short time. Hopefully they overcome them and do so favorably for the sake of the customer. Good luck to the whole team at NRB.

jeffingoff
06-25-2018, 10:04 AM
I don't know how many more high profile examples we need to illustrate the point (Williams, Spade, Bourdain) but once your brain has been weaponized against you, there is nowhere left to run. Doesn't matter how successful or tough you are.

I hope Vincent gets the healing he needs. I hope they figure out how to work around his needs going forward. As long as they're being this honest and open with me, I can wait for my boxes.

Ari_Racing
06-25-2018, 10:59 AM
What a cluster

+1

+1

Randall Flagg
06-26-2018, 03:09 PM
I don't know how many more high profile examples we need to illustrate the point (Williams, Spade, Bourdain) but once your brain has been weaponized against you, there is nowhere left to run. Doesn't matter how successful or tough you are.

I hope Vincent gets the healing he needs. I hope they figure out how to work around his needs going forward. As long as they're being this honest and open with me, I can wait for my boxes.
At the risk of sounding stupid, who "weaponized" Brourdain's brain against him? What is the definition of "weaponizing" a brain?

Beverly Marsh
06-27-2018, 06:22 AM
I mostly agree with Simon's statement and trying to be empathetic. On the other hand it is a business, albeit a small family owned one, and perhaps if it can't be handled they ought to take a break. At least give the wife the access to mail stuff? That part confused me a little as she should be able to do it? Maybe I missed something there.
I also think they need to keep the personal details out of it. To me it's a turn off. As a veteran myself who now works for the VA I see a lot of this kind of thing. I don't mean to sound heartless as he very well could be going through some things but so do a lot of people. As a business owner you have to learn how to function and deal with things. I'm glad he's getting help but you still have customers who have paid up.

jeffingoff
06-27-2018, 06:34 AM

At the risk of sounding stupid, who "weaponized" Brourdain's brain against him? What is the definition of "weaponizing" a brain?

Just my way of summing up mental illness. The brain is the one organ that can "talk" to you--it's the point of origin for all your thoughts--and when it's ill or affected it can lead to poison thoughts. It turns on you. It's weaponized. It can whisper awful things that seem reasonable because they're your own thoughts. It can convince you to do self-harm. To me that's terrifying.

sentinel
06-27-2018, 10:41 AM
I mostly agree with Simon's statement and trying to be empathetic. On the other hand it is a business, albeit a small family owned one, and perhaps if it can't be handled they ought to take a break. At least give the wife the access to mail stuff? That part confused me a little as she should be able to do it? Maybe I missed something there.
I also think they need to keep the personal details out of it. To me it's a turn off. As a veteran myself who now works for the VA I see a lot of this kind of thing. I don't mean to sound heartless as he very well could be going through some things but so do a lot of people. As a business owner you have to learn how to function and deal with things. I'm glad he's getting help but you still have customers who have paid up.

Very well said!