PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #9: On Writing (2000)

mae
02-13-2018, 02:26 PM
On Writing, 2000
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/On_Writing_face.jpg

Please vote for On Writing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Writing) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Heather19
02-13-2018, 03:33 PM
I just finally got around to this one last year. I listened to the audiobook narrated by King himself, and it was so fascinating. I love hearing him talk about his life.

amd013
02-13-2018, 03:49 PM
For non-fiction it was ok, but I found King to be full of himself at times (granted, he's earned the right), and at times very critical of other authors (not ones I have read though). After reading it, didn't feel it really gave enough insight into the process of writing to push someone over the hump, who didn't already have enough talent. Only gave it a 2.5.

Just curious if there is any authors out there that credit this book to (some of) their success.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-14-2018, 05:00 AM
3.5. Enjoyed the autobiographical parts. The instructional parts were ok.

St. Troy
02-14-2018, 06:49 AM
I've been waiting to get around to this but don't know when it will happen (I don't even own a copy yet).

Heather19
02-14-2018, 10:01 AM
It took me forever to get around to it as well. I thought it was strictly a book about writing and tips and such, so I never really had a strong desire to read it since I'm not a writer. But then I came across the audiobook online from the library and decided to give it a listen. The whole first half is an autobiography, which King narrates himself. I'd highly encourage you seek out the audiobook and at least give that portion a listen. The other half, when he goes into the writing process, I found almost as fascinating because he talks about his own personal process. So you get a lot of insight into not only him, but how he writes as well.

TravelinJack
02-14-2018, 11:57 AM
This is one of my favorites from King. And absolutely agree that the audiobook is a lot of fun. It is quite facinating hearing first hand about his background and then his writing process. Also, great tips for writers as well.

I’d even venture to say that if you weren't a big fan during your first read, try the audiobook. I’m hopeful you’d enjoy it.

mae
02-20-2018, 02:40 PM
The poll has closed. On Writing has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.659090909 or 73.18%. It received a rating of 4 with 5 votes.