PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #8: The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

mae
02-08-2018, 01:25 PM
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, 1997
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/W_G_trade_face.jpg

Please vote for The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_IV:_Wizard_and_Glass) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

Ben Staad
02-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Close to my least favorite of the series.

becca69
02-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Funny because it's my favorite of the series.

frik
02-08-2018, 10:30 PM
Best of the series! One of King's top-5 novels.

sk

Heather19
02-09-2018, 06:20 AM
I was generous and gave it a 1. I really wanted to give it a zero, but thought that would be too harsh :lol: But this is easily my least favorite King. I will never read it again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone.

Iwritecode
02-09-2018, 06:29 AM
I was generous and gave it a 1. I really wanted to give it a zero, but thought that would be too harsh :lol: But this is easily my least favorite King. I will never read it again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone.

What about the beginning part with Blaine? I think a lot of people (myself including) forgot that the entire riddling contest takes place at the start of this book.

I liked the main story well enough to give it a 4. I really hope they go ahead with the TV version of this. It might be the only way I can get my wife into this series. She's all about sappy love stories and that's a big part of this book.

jsmcmullen92
02-09-2018, 06:53 AM

What about the beginning part with Blaine? I think a lot of people (myself including) forgot that the entire riddling contest takes place at the start of this book.

I liked the main story well enough to give it a 4. I really hope they go ahead with the TV version of this. It might be the only way I can get my wife into this series. She's all about sappy love stories and that's a big part of this book.

Funny enough I gave it a 4.5 because of the beginning and end. I could care less about the Blaine trip and the Kansas emerald city. I was so enthralled in the back story that the overarching story paled in comparison. If it was a pure backstory I would have given it a 5

Tommy
02-09-2018, 07:08 AM
Might this be King's most contentious work? I gave it a 2.5 but it's still better than SOS as far as the series goes.

Heather19
02-09-2018, 07:14 AM

Even that tiny section can't make up for the bulk of the story. It just isn't my cup of tea.

amd013
02-09-2018, 09:38 AM
I had a hard time getting through the flashback parts. I think I ended up pausing it for a year or so. Between this and Insomnia I fell way behind in my King reading, and am just now almost caught up.

Having said that, I seemed to love the flashback parts when I read them in the Marvel Graphic comics. Maybe I would enjoy a 2nd read better.

stroppygoblin
02-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Even that tiny section can't make up for the bulk of the story. It just isn't my cup of tea.

I take it from the initial comment , you only read this once? Did you read it as soon as you finished The Wastelands as part of reading the whole cycle? If so, I HIGHLY recommend you read it again without the impetus of wanting to further the main story arc along. It adds so much colour to the character of Roland and his early life. I love this book and wish I could give it 10 to overcome some of the lower votes here. :cry:

Heather19
02-09-2018, 12:18 PM
I did, I went through and read them all in a row. Considering The Wastelands was my favorite of the series, this was a rough one to get through. But I'm not a fan of The Dark Tower series, it's just not for me. And my least favorite parts were the flashbacks to Roland's life, even back in The Gunslinger.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-14-2018, 05:32 AM
5. My favorite of the series. I’ve read it many times. In fact I’ve read the 1st 4 many times waiting endlessly for the next installment, but I’ve read this one more than the others. In fact, I’m listening to the audiobook for the first time now. It’s very well narrated. Frank Muller is very talented.

mae
02-15-2018, 01:37 PM
The poll has closed. The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.900000000 or 78.00%. It received a rating of 5 with 11 votes.