PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #5: It (1986)

mae
01-30-2018, 06:27 PM
It, 1986
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/It_face.jpg

Please vote for It (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_(novel)) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

webstar1000
01-31-2018, 05:30 AM
Perfection in every way.

Heather19
01-31-2018, 06:05 AM
The best book ever written.

jsmcmullen92
01-31-2018, 06:29 AM
Guess I'll be that weirdo who put a 3... I found it bloated and drawn out, same as The Stand. Story was great but it was hard to keep up with because there was just too much fluff.

Girlystevedave
01-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Guess I'll be that weirdo who put a 3... I found it bloated and drawn out, same as The Stand. Story was great but it was hard to keep up with because there was just too much fluff.

I gave it a 3.5. I liked it, but was not blown away by it like I expected. I also feel like it was pretty drawn out and I remember struggling to finish it.

Edit: I'm wondering now if it was just too hyped up by the time I got around to reading it. :orely:

jsmcmullen92
01-31-2018, 07:02 AM

I gave it a 3.5. I liked it, but was not blown away by it like I expected. I also feel like it was pretty drawn out and I remember struggling to finish it.

Edit: I'm wondering now if it was just too hyped up by the time I got around to reading it. :orely:Yeah probably same here. I was reading it end of 2016 into 2017 with the hype of the movie coming up. As well as I had seen the old movie a million times so I remember a lot of what was going to happen.

amd013
01-31-2018, 08:33 AM
I know it is a lot of peoples favorite, but I could only give it a 4. I loved the first 1000 pages or so, but the ending just made me say "WTF?" It was the first book of his I read that I just didn't like the ending. (it started a trend for a lot of the books that came out after it) (I read it as soon as it came out in PB, and had already read all the other books he had published at the time).

Perhaps now, putting it in perspective of the DT series, I may like the ending better, will probably reread it in a few years.

St. Troy
01-31-2018, 09:20 AM
Best thing he's ever done.

As for the length issue:

I think some readers simply have tastes more matched to limited, compact things such as Salem's Lot and The Shining and therefore perceive a fuller work as having gone beyond what was necessary. I don't think SK "went wrong" in his writing or editing, however - when things like large scopes, large casts, and multiple timelines are involved (as well as the background for all of that), there will be more pages. The Stand and It are novels the reader gets to live in for a while and are the richer for it.

These readers might have preferred a novelized version of the It miniseries (truncated as it was).

frik
01-31-2018, 09:45 AM
4.5: Absolutely hated the spider. The rest of the book: awesome.

sk

biomieg
01-31-2018, 11:53 AM
Best thing he's ever done.

As for the length issue:

I think some readers simply have tastes more matched to limited, compact things such as Salem's Lot and The Shining and therefore perceive a fuller work as having gone beyond what was necessary. I don't think SK "went wrong" in his writing or editing, however - when things like large scopes, large casts, and multiple timelines are involved (as well as the background for all of that), there will be more pages. The Stand and It are novels the reader gets to live in for a while and are the richer for it.

These readers might have preferred a novelized version of the It miniseries (truncated as it was).

Very well put.

Tommy
01-31-2018, 12:14 PM
My favorite King novel.

Sai Sheb
02-07-2018, 03:49 AM
Loved it.. even the ending! I found it made me question a lot of other possible endings of books and how tame they were...

mae
02-07-2018, 02:10 PM
The poll has closed. It has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.666666667 or 93.33%. It received a rating of 5 with 17 votes.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-14-2018, 05:55 AM
5...if I had made the vote. My favorite book, not just from SK, but any author.

Jean
02-21-2018, 11:34 PM
same here

Jon
02-24-2018, 08:39 PM
LOL...lowest score is a 3. In my mind second only to The Stand. (unabridged). I would place IT above the abridged version of The Stand.

Jean
02-25-2018, 03:09 AM
it's very much the same for bears. The two books keep competing in my mind.