PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day...

Mattrick
02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Is either the one of the best days in the world or the most dreaded day. Discuss.

fernandito
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Brice already started a Valentine's Day thread.

Daghain
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
His was a Happy Valentine's day thread, though. :)

Mattrick
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I fail to see what is so happy about valentines.

You're either:

a) single and miserable

or

b) in a relationship which requires you to spend unnecessary money just because.

Daghain
02-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Not necessarily. DBF and I have been together 7 years, and we don't celebrate Valentine's Day. It's a "Hallmark Holiday" anyway, designed by retailers to make a buck. We're going to the bar to watch the Avs play. :lol:

fernandito
02-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Or maybe you guys are just cheap :P

Matt
02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
During our staff meeting, they gave the history of Valentines Day.

When they were about to execute St. Valentine because he would not convert religion, he sent a message to a woman he had cured of blindness through a miracle.

He signed the card "your Valentine"

We celebrate it and I love having a day where Dora and I can sit for a minute and appreciate our love for each other. :wub:

Jean
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I love St.Valentine because I love all our Catholic Saints

and, of course, I love any pretext for celebrating and giving little presents and all that stuff that is fun to do! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gif

One could say "it could be done on any other day, why follow that commercial trend" etc, etc, but why should anyone treat it so seriously? It's a game, like many other things in life, and it's only up to ourselves to make it a game that is fun to play.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

sai blaine
02-14-2008, 12:36 PM

You're either:

a) single and miserable

or

b) in a relationship which requires you to spend unnecessary money just because.
QFT!

Erin
02-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I agree with Jean. I like Valentine's Day and have ever since I was a little kid. It was so exciting to go to school, having made out your little cards to each person in the class and walk around handing them out. It made everyone so happy.

Darrin and I didn't do anything special this year, we just went out to eat a few days ago to celebrate.

Mattrick
02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I agree with Jean. I like Valentine's Day and have ever since I was a little kid. It was so exciting to go to school, having made out your little cards to each person in the class and walk around handing them out. It made everyone so happy.

Well, ignorance is bliss.

Erin
02-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm not ignorant. I went to a very small private elementary school where everyone was friends with everyone else, inside and outside of school. So yes, everyone was happy on Valentine's Day, at least in my case.

ZoNeSeeK
02-14-2008, 05:25 PM
We normally just have a romantic dinner at home with a bottle of wine (or 3 - motherfucker of a headache today) or go to a restaurant in one of the cafe-bar-restaurant nightlife areas in the city.

No offense to anyone who regularly buys / receives bunches of flowers on Valentines, but I tend to believe that paying double the usual price on a day where you're prompted by Advertising debases the meaning of the gesture. If you're going to buy flowers, make it a complete surprise.

Randall Flagg
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I like Valentine's as it's the one day a year I can wear my red tuxedo shirt out to dinner.

ZoNeSeeK
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Well, ignorance is bliss.

... and being pessimistic and bitter can get old real quick.

:)

Aesculapius
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/Obelison/two/v.jpg

Bethany
02-14-2008, 06:41 PM
:wub:
emmy understood the stupid puns on her valentines today and cackled with glee reading them to me. her laughter was precious.

that being said, my only valentine was from a complete stranger on facebook. :(

John Blaze
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Not necessarily. DBF and I have been together 7 years, and we don't celebrate Valentine's Day. It's a "Hallmark Holiday" anyway, designed by retailers to make a buck. We're going to the bar to watch the Avs play. :lol:

I agree with daggers here. I try to treat my love with tender kindness every single day. Not a day goes by that she doesn't hear me tell her I love her, and more than once. Every now and again I buy her gifts "just because" and celebrate with her our "dating" anniversary as well as our marriage anniversary.

I don't need Wal-Mart to tell me when to celebrate our love.

Mattrick
02-14-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not ignorant. I went to a very small private elementary school where everyone was friends with everyone else, inside and outside of school. So yes, everyone was happy on Valentine's Day, at least in my case.

You misread me. Kids don't understand love, it's just a morale to a story. That is why I said ignorance is bliss, I wasn't calling you ignorant.

Well, when you've been alone as long as I have, it's part of the job description.

Odetta
02-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Hubby and I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day... I called him a bunch of times and always said Happy Valentine's Day which was me just being goofy.
I gave our girls some candy hearts, but that's about it.

I DO agree about flowers on V-Day, ZoNe... especially roses. Really expensive and overrated. I would much prefer getting flowers "just because" rather than on a specific day from my man.

John Blaze
02-14-2008, 07:55 PM
i guess I'm alright then.

while we have a busy thread, anyone want to play hold em, i'll be in the game.

Odetta
02-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm there

John Blaze
02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
we're playing people, but it'd be funner with more joining us!

Odetta
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
more!

OchrisO
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I tend to dislike Valentine's Day on the grounds that I don't think people should need a day to make some grand gesture of love when they should be doing that on a day to day basis, and on the grounds taht it is horribly commercialized, but if I am completely honest with myself, I tend to not mind that stuff as much when I have a girlfriend. I guess I am just a bitter single person, at least to some degree. I had quite a good time V-Day before last, which was the last one that I was actually dating someone(Erin, actually. haha.)

Brice
02-15-2008, 02:53 AM

You're either:

a) single and miserable

or

or

c) single and happy as a fuckin' lark that way, like myself.

I fail to see why being single would be equated automatically with misery.

Kids don't understand love

Why not? I actually think they might understand it better than adults.

Well, when you've been alone as long as I have, it's part of the job description.

I beg to differ. I've been alone for years. I am neither. If you are pessimistic and bitter it's only because you choose to be.

Anyhow, when I was young I didn't like Valentine's Day so much. Now, while I'd agree that there shouldn't be just one day set aside to tell/show your love (you should every opportunity you get) my thinking is similar to Jean's (minus the religious part).

Mattrick
02-15-2008, 03:19 AM

There is a difference between single by choice and single by circumstance. I'd say 90% of the people sinlgle by choice are players.

I think kids understand unconditional love better but I attribute it to naivety. While they may know various kinds of love, the kind of love Valentine's Day is all about they can't possibly understand, at least in-depth.

I beg to differ. I've been alone for years. I am neither. If you are pessimistic and bitter it's only because you choose to be.

I've been alone my entire life. As the saying goes, 'better to have loved and lost then never loved at all'. Valentine's is just another event that makes me feel more alienated from love and really, the rest of the world.

Brice
02-15-2008, 03:41 AM

There is a difference between single by choice and single by circumstance. I'd say 90% of the people sinlgle by choice are players.

...and maybe you're right about that. Even if that's the case though single does not equal miserable.

I think kids understand unconditional love better but I attribute it to naivety. While they may know various kinds of love, the kind of love Valentine's Day is all about they can't possibly understand, at least in-depth.

To me all love is unconditional. I think children understand the love of Valentine's as well as any other love, but then I think love is just love. There is nothing to really understand about it.

I've been alone my entire life. As the saying goes, 'better to have loved and lost then never loved at all'. Valentine's is just another event that makes me feel more alienated from love and really, the rest of the world.

I've also been alone pretty much my whole life. I think the only real difference is how we feel about it. I'm honestly not looking for anyone. I take an attitude of what will be, will be. It's not the rest of the world's fault if you haven't found someone right for you.

Matt
02-15-2008, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure where the idea came up that Valentines would be the only flower day. Dora gets roses that day...but also stuff all year long.

And they don't up the price here just for that, I've never heard of that.

We love huge all year long, this is a reason to really do it up. Why not? Its my favorite passtime, loving Dora

Brice
02-15-2008, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure where the idea came up that Valentines would be the only flower day. Dora gets roses that day...but also stuff all year long.

And they don't up the price here just for that, I've never heard of that.

We love huge all year long, this is a reason to really do it up. Why not? Its my favorite passtime, loving Dora

That's how it should be Matt.

Just about everywhere I've been they jack up the prices of flowers at Valentine's day though.

jayson
02-15-2008, 06:29 AM

That's very sweet and just the way it should be Matt!

For Melissa and I, Feb 14 is just the sound-check or batting practice if you will. Our anniversary is Feb 28, so that is the big celebration day. throughout the rest of the year we try to find ways to show each other how we feel. random gifts, cards, surprises throughout the year make for good times.

Rjeso
02-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Yes, Valentines Day is a pretty marketed enterprise. That being said, we didn't do cards or flowers or candy - y'know, all the typical stuff that's pushed on everybody by the retail beings. We did go out to dinner, however, which was nice. A lot of the places around here do fun stuff on Valentines Day, from special menu items to balloons EVERYWHERE like where we went yesterday. No roses on the tables or anything overly sappy or commercial - just time enjoyed together in a fun atmosphere and really good food. Best Valentines Day ever.

Mattrick
02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
To me all love is unconditional. I think children understand the love of Valentine's as well as any other love, but then I think love is just love. There is nothing to really understand about it.

I think there are many different kinds of love, just as there is any other kind of emotion. There is love derived from an experience, love for a pet, for a sibling or parent or for a friend and while they are all similar are very different at the same time. I think as one ages, their views on love often become jaded if they've had bad experiences. What I meant about understanding love is that children often don't understand the pain and spitfires of love. You can understand how pain works through the nervous system but without ever feeling pain, you can't understand it.

I've also been alone pretty much my whole life. I think the only real difference is how we feel about it. I'm honestly not looking for anyone. I take an attitude of what will be, will be. It's not the rest of the world's fault if you haven't found someone right for you.

Yeah, that's the difference. I've been looking for about ten years now. I've been messed with and teased by girls before, which really doesn't help my situation. I guess it's when I look at the big picture and drug dealers and addicts and thieves and abusers and murderers have someone and I don't...I wish I could say I'm comfortable with being single but I'm just not and doubt I ever will be.

Daghain
02-15-2008, 12:04 PM
I guess it's when I look at the big picture and drug dealers and addicts and thieves and abusers and murderers have someone and I don't...I wish I could say I'm comfortable with being single but I'm just not and doubt I ever will be.

Do you seriously think you'd want the type of woman who would date those losers?

And, until you're happy with yourself, you WILL be alone. Women worth having can smell desperate and negative a mile away. You just have to find things you like to do and learn to enjoy what you have now, and you'll be surprised what will happen. Just sayin'.

Hannah
02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Daggers has a good point. Women like men with confidence, and a sense of humor. Looks, money, career, car, etc. can all be overlooked if the man is funny and confident. It’s true.

Matt
02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Its true, I'd be a lonely bastard if confidence and funny didn't get you somewhere. :lol:

Hannah
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
:lol: From the way I heard it, Dora picked you out from the beginning and marked you as hers.

Matt
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
:rofl:

Yes, I was separated from the herd for sure. I may have been limping or something.

Daghain
02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
:rofl:

Mattrick
02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I guess it's when I look at the big picture and drug dealers and addicts and thieves and abusers and murderers have someone and I don't...I wish I could say I'm comfortable with being single but I'm just not and doubt I ever will be.

Do you seriously think you'd want the type of woman who would date those losers?

And, until you're happy with yourself, you WILL be alone. Women worth having can smell desperate and negative a mile away. You just have to find things you like to do and learn to enjoy what you have now, and you'll be surprised what will happen. Just sayin'.

You'd be surprised the amount of good people that can be with dispicable people. It's more the principle of the thing. All I've ever tried in life is to be kind and helpful to others, a good person and it's really gotten me no where.

A question I have is 'what is confidence?' Is it simply being content? Boastful? Outgoing? All women look for different types of confidence being displayed in different fashions. Some women see confidence in a well dressed man, others see it in good humour and others need to know you for it, others seeing brash as confidence. Confidence isn't so much my problem as communication. I've no idea the proper processes nor am I really able to detect if a girl is attracted to me or how to send out signs that i'm attracted to them. I can't just walk up to a girl and I don't know and start talking to them, wtf do I say? Girls will look at me and see that i've got no car, no money currently and no job and am lower on the rung of looks than most guys so why would they choose me? I guess you could call me pessimistic but I like to look at myself as more of a realist - I call the world as I see it.

Matt
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I think women see it when its real confidence and that shows no matter how you are dressed or what you are doing.

Jean
02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Girls will look at me and see that i've got no car, no money currently and no job and am lower on the rung of looks than most guys so why would they choose me?

I have no car, no money (currently I have to choose between buying new winter boots, since I've been wearing my old pair for ten years - the anniversary was celebrated last November, and they're literally falling apart, - and keeping my internet connection. I will certainly choose the latter, but can't really understand now where it will get me next winter), a job that pays $300 a month, no place to live, no savings anywhere, not even a bank account, and no prospects in life whatsoever.

But, miraculously, the best woman in the world chose me... and she loves me... and we've been together for 17 years...

Matt
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
That's amazing Jean. I believe a lot of true love comes from adversity. Its easy when life is easy. You found out how a person is when the shit hits the fan.

Find out if this person knows how to "Stand"

I am so happy for you, to me, what you have is infinitely more important than the things you don't. I am sure you know that though.

Jean
02-15-2008, 02:04 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif
(of course, my situation is typical for 90% of the population of my country.... and still she chose me, not any other of those 90% - and not even any one of the prosperous 10!)

Hannah
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM

You'd be surprised the amount of good people that can be with dispicable people. It's more the principle of the thing. All I've ever tried in life is to be kind and helpful to others, a good person and it's really gotten me no where.

A question I have is 'what is confidence?' Is it simply being content? Boastful? Outgoing? All women look for different types of confidence being displayed in different fashions. Some women see confidence in a well dressed man, others see it in good humour and others need to know you for it, others seeing brash as confidence. Confidence isn't so much my problem as communication. I've no idea the proper processes nor am I really able to detect if a girl is attracted to me or how to send out signs that i'm attracted to them. I can't just walk up to a girl and I don't know and start talking to them, wtf do I say? Girls will look at me and see that i've got no car, no money currently and no job and am lower on the rung of looks than most guys so why would they choose me? I guess you could call me pessimistic but I like to look at myself as more of a realist - I call the world as I see it.

Confidence comes from within. One of my best friends is everything that you've described yourself as - no car, no money, no job, and not the best looking guy (at least not since he's gained a lot of weight) - and he dates some beautiful girls - inside and out. He's got a lot of confidence, and it manifests based on the way he talks, he dresses, the way he treats people. Not only that but he is funny. Like, really funny.

My suggestion Mattrick, stop being down on yourself and start looking at what you do have to offer. Play that up - are you smart, funny, got nice teeth, whatever - build that up for yourself so you can be more confident in what you do have. Also, get a job and a car too, that will help. :D

John Blaze
02-15-2008, 07:43 PM
if you stop being such a smartass antisocial a'hole, it might help too.

and I'm saying that in a nice way. You say you don't know how to talk to people. You're a reader right? You've read so much about different people, different characters, and you still don't have a personality? 95% of who I am came from influences absorbed through books I've read. Your life experiences and "absorbed" knowledge from books can help you become who you are.

People say "be yourself" and it's such a cliche', right? WRONG. It works. Stop trying to be whom you think people want you to be and be yourself. It'll work. Eventually you'll find someone who likes the real you. But not if you're a condescending "i'm smarter than you" type of asshole.

take it or leave it, you seemed like you wanted a sincere answer and I gave you one.

Girlystevedave
02-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Valentine's Day is lame. It makes people think I want chocolate only ONE day of the year.

Rjeso
02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Um, way off topic, but I heart your signature, Girlystevedave.

Is it safe? Is it safe?

Also, I'm siding with JB on this one. Attitude is everything, Mattrick. Improve yours, and your chances will improve similarly. Just sayin.'

Girlystevedave
02-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Is it safe? Is it safe?

:thumbsup: I have a bear driving sticker on my car window. Some people think it's winnie the pooh:cry:

John Blaze
02-19-2008, 07:11 PM
don't even look like him

Mattrick
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM

Is it safe? Is it safe?

Also, I'm siding with JB on this one. Attitude is everything, Mattrick. Improve yours, and your chances will improve similarly. Just sayin.'

Not sure how to approach my situation right now. There's this girl I've been attracted to for a couple of years now but I also only see her every other month. She's my friend's cousin and often only see her when bigger things are going down. I'm sure she knows I like her, even though initiating conversation is difficult for me. The other night she started talking to me and when she drove me home from her cousins we talked well. My issue is that I finally want to ask her out but I don't have the conveyance for it. Not going to use facebook or msn and I don't have her phone number. Thinking I should just wait until I see her next. But that might not be until springtime. I've never seen her with another guy since I've known her nor has she mentioned one so I wonder if she'll still be available then.

OchrisO
02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Use facebook or msn to get her number.

Kevin
02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Ask your cousin for her number.

John Blaze
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Ask your cousin for her number.

ditto on this.

Rjeso
02-20-2008, 05:27 AM
:lol: Having jumped to the last post, I hadn't read Mattrick's yet, and it totally looked like you were suggesting that he hook up with his cousin. I was appalled.

In reality, though, the true suggestion is a good one. :D

Brice
02-20-2008, 05:31 AM
:lol: Having jumped to the last post, I hadn't read Mattrick's yet, and it totally looked like you were suggesting that he hook up with his cousin. I was appalled.

:rofl: I briefly thought the same suggestion was being made.

Matt
02-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Yep, I would totally go to the cousin. Good luck Mattrick!

John Blaze
02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
just a quick question, how many of you guys live in Nebraska?

lol

Mattrick
02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
This all got skewed because of Kevin lol She my friend's cousin not my cousin's friend. lol

Daghain
02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
It's always Kevin. Damn that boy. :lol: