PDA

View Full Version : King's most underrated books?

CyberGhostface
11-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Just curious as to which books of his don't get the attention they deserve.

For me, I think it's 'Roadwork'. The other Bachman books seem to be fairly high regarded (or infamous in the case of 'Rage') among King's canon but this one fell through the cracks. I think it's a solid and engrossing character study.

After that maybe 'Rose Madder'. According to King it's his least read book and his DT avatar calls it a misfire but I think it's one his best female lead books. I actually gave it to my mom a while ago who's never read any of SK's stuff and she liked it a lot.

mae
11-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Definitely Rose Madder for me, and Insomnia. I do not understand the dislike for these two.

webstar1000
11-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Insomnia for me too. 100%. I LOVED that book.. the ending was like the ending of the 6th Sense for me... had no idea. It also made me VERY aware of age... and I have been since then. That is def my choice.

St. Troy
11-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Roadwork says some interesting things about marriage and the simple need to be supported by someone.

Danse Macabre is more fun and interesting than people seem to realize.

It's been a long time since I've read Insomnia and I forget more than I'd care to admit, but I recall going from "wow, this is taking a loooong time to get going, even for King" to "this has changed my life" by the end of it.

I don't know if I can call Salem's Lot underrated as it's well liked, but when I think about it, I think (in a way) it is the perfect horror novel.

dnemec
11-13-2017, 07:38 AM
For me, it's Lisey's Story. I think it's an interesting commentary on long-term relationships and how different we are with the people we love as opposed to the outside world. I have read it 3 times and liked it more with each read.

St. Troy
11-13-2017, 07:38 AM
+1

Lisey's Story was damn good.

zelig
11-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Roadwork for me. Blaze as well. And I also very much enjoyed Lisey’s.

Zidan
11-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Insomnia is that book for me. Several people told me not to bother with it and I'm glad I ignored them. The prologue is brilliant, bested only by the epilogue. A wonderful tale about life, death, and old age. I've come to view Insomnia as both the follow-up to IT, as well as an essential Dark Tower book. Beyond that, however, it is also a beautiful stand-alone novel.

amd013
11-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Its funny, for me Roadwork is the only novel of his that I have read that I have no recollection of whatsoever. (granted its been 30 years, but even 15 years ago I had no recollection). Liseys story and rose Madder are in my bottom 5. Insomnia is somewhere in the middle, I too thought it took a very long time to get going, but enjoyed it once it did. (took two attempts to get through it).

Its hard to say which of his underrated books I like, because I am not sure all of which books are considered underrated, but I would probably include Doctor Sleep and Revival in the list. While I don't list these in my top 10 SK books, I think they are better then people give them credit for.

Sai Sheb
11-14-2017, 03:48 AM
I have never read a SK book I didn't like. From a buick 8 seems to get ignored a lot but I loved it... a portal into the darkness out side our realms!!! Rose madder was great I have two copies... insomnia blew my mind! All good, all of them...

Girlystevedave
11-14-2017, 06:51 AM
I agree with Rose Madder. I thought it was a great, solid story.

I think Desperation is underrated.

biomieg
11-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Insomnia, Rose Madder, Desperation, Lisey's Story - all +1! I liked Danse Macabre as well. I haven't read Roadwork, I believe....

Heather19
11-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Not sure if The Long Walk is considered underrated, but you don't hear too much talk about it. It's easily one of my top books of all-time, such a great story.

Another favorite of mine is Duma Key. Beautiful story, and I absolutely love all the vivid images it creates in your mind as you read it. I really want a real life version of one of the Girl and Ship paintings. Although I know it'll probably pale in comparison to what I imagined in my mind.

jsmcmullen92
11-17-2017, 06:45 AM
Desperation for sure. Most people blow it off for an AA meeting but I loved it. It introduced me to King and forever made me mistrust cops and lonely desert towns.

dnemec
11-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Not sure if The Long Walk is considered underrated, but you don't hear too much talk about it. It's easily one of my top books of all-time, such a great story.

Another favorite of mine is Duma Key. Beautiful story, and I absolutely love all the vivid images it creates in your mind as you read it. I really want a real life version of one of the Girl and Ship paintings. Although I know it'll probably pale in comparison to what I imagined in my mind.

+1 for Duma Key. I read the book and I was just so invested in it, that I cried when Edgar's art show went so well. I was just so happy for him. I even cried on the re-read of the audiobook. I too would love a Girl and Ship painting!

stroppygoblin
11-17-2017, 08:47 AM
+ 1 on The Long Walk, certainly not underrated, but possibly under read.

My vote would be Wizard and Glass. The problem is it sits right in between the best (IMHO) part of the books where Blaine is riddling the Ka-tet. I remember FINALLY the book being published after 6 YEARS!! and suddenly the story goes off on a complete tangent. I was so pissed! for the next few subsequent re-reads of the entire set, I used to skip the Magis story and just read the start and end of the book as if it wasn't there :shoot:

These days, It's one of my absolute favourites, some of King's best writing and real expansion of the world and its characters. I would love to read more about that part of Roland's life.

Heather19
11-17-2017, 08:55 AM

+1 for Duma Key. I read the book and I was just so invested in it, that I cried when Edgar's art show went so well. I was just so happy for him. I even cried on the re-read of the audiobook. I too would love a Girl and Ship painting!

I listened to the audiobook when I reread it a few months ago. The narrator was absolutely fantastic.

fernandito
11-17-2017, 09:50 AM
I think Desperation is underrated.
For fucking sure.

InsufficientData
11-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Personally, I've never heard anyone highly regard The Eyes of the Dragon, which is one of his best - in my opinion. So I think that, Black House and Insomnia. I also like Dreamcatcher, but most of the criticisms for that book are rightly deserved.

InsufficientData
11-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Personally, I've never heard anyone highly praise The Eyes Of The Dragon, which (in my opinion) is one of his best works. Along with that, I'd say Black House and Insomnia. I also like Dreamcatcher, though I do think that it deserves the majority of the critisim it recieves, so I wouldn't say it's underrated, exactly.

webstar1000
11-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Personally, I've never heard anyone highly regard The Eyes of the Dragon, which is one of his best - in my opinion. So I think that, Black House and Insomnia. I also like Dreamcatcher, but most of the criticisms for that book are rightly deserved.

You know I really liked Dreamcatcher too...

Jean
11-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Another favorite of mine is Duma Key. Beautiful story, and I absolutely love all the vivid images it creates in your mind as you read it. yes, love! :rose: :rose: :rose:

I think Desperation is underrated.How can it be? It's in my top five!
***alarmed bear***

From a buick 8 seems to get ignored a lot but I loved it... so did bears!

Roadwork for me. a big THANK YOU for having said this. One of my favorite novels by King, and one of the saddest, most disturbing stories I know; hits me on some deep personal level.

Jean
11-23-2017, 11:27 AM
You know I really liked Dreamcatcher too...Same here. Or rather, I never understood many people's disliking it. I mean, what's to dislike? It's a decent story, reasonably scary, reasonably crazy, very moving at times, somewhat slow, but, hell, all best King's novels are; most often it's the slower the better - who wouldn't wish The Stand or It lasted forever?
Yes, I remember that one of my beloved ladies here wouldn't. But nevertheless.