PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Horror-thon 2017

Ricky
09-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Tomorrow is October, which means the official start to the Halloween season! What's everyone planning on watching this month? New releases? Old favorites? Seasonal staples?

New one at the top of my list are: Jackals, Gerald's Game, Jigsaw, and 31

Some others I want to see:

Heathers
Prom Night
Happy Death Day
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Wish Upon
Nosferatu
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Robert
The Fog
Don't Hang Up
Coraline
Curse of Chucky

For re-watches:

Halloween
Beetlejuice
Hocus Pocus
Saw 1-7
Scream 1-4
Frankenweenie

Looks like I won't be working this month. ;)

Heather19
10-02-2017, 09:15 AM
I would highly recommend putting 31, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and Nosferatu at the top of your list. I just watched Gerald's Game this past weekend. It was a pretty well done movie. Also what is Robert? I haven't heard of it before. Is it based on Robert the doll?

Ricky
10-02-2017, 09:26 AM
I set a recording for Dr. Caligari.

And Robert is based on Robert the doll, but I'm expecting it to be very loosely based on true events since it was direct to DVD.

webstar1000
10-02-2017, 09:55 AM
I have tickets and Front of the line passes to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios next week. That is my Horror a Thon this year:) CANNOT WAIT.

Mattrick
10-02-2017, 10:05 AM
I've already begun. I've watched Hush, Gerald's Game, Mother!, and I saw IT for a second time. Not sure what I will watch. I have lots of classic horror films I haven't watched yet like Suspiria, so I'll knock off as many of those as I can, and limit my rewatches.

Ricky
10-02-2017, 02:22 PM
I have tickets and Front of the line passes to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios next week. That is my Horror a Thon this year:) CANNOT WAIT.

That always sounds really fun. Let us know how it is!

I've already begun. I've watched Hush, Gerald's Game, Mother!, and I saw IT for a second time. Not sure what I will watch. I have lots of classic horror films I haven't watched yet like Suspiria, so I'll knock off as many of those as I can, and limit my rewatches.

I loved Hush and am looking forward to Gerald's Game.

Tommy
10-02-2017, 03:17 PM

I saw IT for the second time on Sunday, ha! So good!!

I have seen The Silence of the Lambs, half of The Shining, parts of Dracula's Daughter and Son of Dracula and also Nosferatu on TCM.

Zidan
10-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Trying to consciously watch some Stephen King movies this Halloween. Saw Gerald's Game last weekend and planning on seeing IT this week. From the older films I plan on watching Pet Semetary, Misery, and Salem's Lot (1979).

From the standard Halloween library: Clue (God, I love that silly movie), Interview with a Vampire (amazed how much I enjoyed that movie), and Halloween.

Heather19
10-12-2017, 11:49 AM
So far I have watched Trick r' Treat, this is becoming a staple of mine every Haloween now it seems like. I also watched Monster Squad, The Blob 1988, and The Visit. I forgot how good The Visit actually is, up until the last 15 min. I've seen Gerald's Game and also re-watched the new It. And tomorrow night a local park is going to be showing Friday the 13th outside on a big screen. Can't wait!

becca69
10-12-2017, 01:18 PM
I was told to watch The Final Girls.

Heather19
10-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Yes, I would also recommend that one.

Mattrick
10-12-2017, 02:11 PM
So far I have watched Trick r' Treat, this is becoming a staple of mine every Haloween now it seems like. I also watched Monster Squad, The Blob 1988, and The Visit. I forgot how good The Visit actually is, up until the last 15 min. I've seen Gerald's Game and also re-watched the new It. And tomorrow night a local park is going to be showing Friday the 13th outside on a big screen. Can't wait!

Apparently Shyamalan made 3 different cuts of The Visit: one that is straight up horror, one that is a comedy, and the mix of both which was the theatrical cut. I want to see those other two cuts!

Ricky
10-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Watched Gerald's Game and Heathers recently and loved both. Gerald's Game is easily one of my favorite SK adaptations and I liked Heathers way more than I was expecting. Both are two of my favorite movies I've seen this year. Next up I'm thinking either The Fog, Wish Upon, or Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

Trying to consciously watch some Stephen King movies this Halloween. Saw Gerald's Game last weekend and planning on seeing IT this week. From the older films I plan on watching Pet Semetary, Misery, and Salem's Lot (1979).

From the standard Halloween library: Clue (God, I love that silly movie), Interview with a Vampire (amazed how much I enjoyed that movie), and Halloween.

I love the singing telegram scene from Clue. Cracks me up every time. :lol:

Man, you New Englanders get all the cool stuff. Better DD menus AND outdoor horror movies? :(

Yes, I would also recommend that one.

I second that. One of my favorites I saw last year and really clever.

Girlystevedave
10-21-2017, 05:45 AM
I'm always so far behind on movies, but finally got around to watching The Conjuring and Insidious last night. I'm trying to up my Halloween-movie-watching-game. :lol:

I plan on watching my usuals- the original Halloween and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown before the season's up, but I also want to add some in there. I'm thinking that I'm going to get Jacob to watch Beetlejuice for the first time this year. I thought that'd be fun. :)

becca69
10-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Finally rewatched Motel Hell last night. Hadn't seen it since the '80s (on TV). I guess it was edited for content - haha.

Ricky
10-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Last week I watched Halloween: Season of the Witch (which I really don't need to see again) and The Fog (the one with Jamie Lee Curtis; I liked it and thought it holds up pretty well. You can definitely see Carpenter's style carry over from Halloween).

Planning (if I don't fall asleep early like a loser) to do a double feature tonight. Possibly 31 and Wish Upon. Or The Mist. Or Jackals. Or maybe one day I'll stop being so damn indecisive. :lol:

I'm always so far behind on movies, but finally got around to watching The Conjuring and Insidious last night. I'm trying to up my Halloween-movie-watching-game. :lol:

I plan on watching my usuals- the original Halloween and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown before the season's up, but I also want to add some in there. I'm thinking that I'm going to get Jacob to watch Beetlejuice for the first time this year. I thought that'd be fun. :)

I'm proud of you, Amanda. Keep at it! :lol:

And I love Beetlejuice. For some reason, Freeform never includes it in their 13 Days of Halloween line-up. I may have to buy the DVD. It's $4 at Target, so that sweetens it.

Ricky
10-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Guess who fell asleep at 9:30? So the double feature didn't happen. :lol:

needfulthings
10-23-2017, 06:54 PM
GREAT DOUBLE BILL!
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6290/3qYIuk.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img922/7100/8CjkE5.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/4263/jDJunI.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img924/1781/nij2kL.jpg

Girlystevedave
10-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Last week I watched Halloween: Season of the Witch (which I really don't need to see again) and The Fog (the one with Jamie Lee Curtis; I liked it and thought it holds up pretty well. You can definitely see Carpenter's style carry over from Halloween).

Planning (if I don't fall asleep early like a loser) to do a double feature tonight. Possibly 31 and Wish Upon. Or The Mist. Or Jackals. Or maybe one day I'll stop being so damn indecisive. :lol:

I'm proud of you, Amanda. Keep at it! :lol:

And I love Beetlejuice. For some reason, Freeform never includes it in their 13 Days of Halloween line-up. I may have to buy the DVD. It's $4 at Target, so that sweetens it.

Guess who fell asleep at 9:30? So the double feature didn't happen. :lol:

1. Refresh my memory since I've not seen it since I was a kid, but isn't Halloween: Season of the Witch that weird Halloween installment that didn't have anything to do with Michael Myers? If so, I can see why you'd say you never need to see it again. :lol:

2. Freeform should totally have Beetlejuice in their line-up! I'm sure they could NOT play Hocus Pocus at least once and trade it for Beetlejuice. :cyclops:

3. You probably wore yourself out carving 10 new pumpkins that night and couldn't stay awake. :rofl:

Girlystevedave
10-24-2017, 11:19 AM
I watched The Babadook last night and liked it. I think it was a bit more disturbing than it was scary- mainly the aspect of that poor kid watching his mom become a monster like that. Overall, I did enjoy it though.

I know I definitely want to watch The Conjuring pt 2, Insidious pt 2 & 3, Cabin in the Woods, and Lights Out before Halloween is up. If anyone has another recent horror flick to add to my list, I'm open to suggestions. :)

Heather19
10-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Have you seen It Follows or Get Out yet Amanda? If not I'd recommend those two.

Heather19
10-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Cinemark theaters are showing the original Nightmare on Elm St movie tomorrow night. I'm hoping to try to go. If not I'll probably watch it sometime this weekend along with Halloween :D

Girlystevedave
10-24-2017, 11:40 AM

I've seen neither, but will keep them in mind. I heard pretty good things about Get Out.

Cinemark theaters are showing the original Nightmare on Elm St movie tomorrow night. I'm hoping to try to go. If not I'll probably watch it sometime this weekend along with Halloween :D

Oh man. That would be awesome to go see it in the theater. :o

Heather19
10-24-2017, 01:24 PM

I've seen neither, but will keep them in mind. I heard pretty good things about Get Out.

Along with The Babadook, they're easily my favorite horror films released in recent years. Another recent one I watched recently, which I think I mentioned in another thread was I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In the House. Not scary, but a quite atmospheric ghost story.

Ricky
10-24-2017, 01:48 PM
1. Refresh my memory since I've not seen it since I was a kid, but isn't Halloween: Season of the Witch that weird Halloween installment that didn't have anything to do with Michael Myers? If so, I can see why you'd say you never need to see it again. :lol:

2. Freeform should totally have Beetlejuice in their line-up! I'm sure they could NOT play Hocus Pocus at least once and trade it for Beetlejuice. :cyclops:

3. You probably wore yourself out carving 10 new pumpkins that night and couldn't stay awake. :rofl:

1. Yeah. I mean, I knew that going in but it was still pretty lame.

2. As much as I love Hocus Pocus, I think it's literally on every day until Halloween. :lol:

3. :rofl:

I know I definitely want to watch The Conjuring pt 2, Insidious pt 2 & 3, Cabin in the Woods, and Lights Out before Halloween is up.

Cabin in the Woods is more darkly comic than outright horror. I thought it was just okay. In terms of goodness: The Conjuring 2>Insidious 3>Insidious 2>Lights Out>Cabin in the Woods.

Tommy
10-24-2017, 07:51 PM
I really liked Happy Death Day. Lots of fun.
It's taken me a while to get into the spirit considering how the world is now but I'm starting to get it back. I plan on watching À l'intérieur (AKA Inside) again soon. I know it's my favorite Christmas movie but it goes quite well with Halloween as well. :evil: It doesn't seem like anywhere has seen it but Bruce. You guys have to watch that one! Soooo good!

Girlystevedave
10-25-2017, 05:00 AM
2. As much as I love Hocus Pocus, I think it's literally on every day until Halloween. :lol:

Cabin in the Woods is more darkly comic than outright horror. I thought it was just okay. In terms of goodness: The Conjuring 2>Insidious 3>Insidious 2>Lights Out>Cabin in the Woods.

I think they DO play it every day. :lol: I think I saw an advertisement that Freeform is going to play Hocus Pocus for 24 hours on Halloween. I'm thinking they could have picked a better movie for a marathon, but then again, I guess it's "safe" for a channel like Freeform. It's not like they could play Halloween all day or something.

And I think Conjuring 2 HAS to be my next watch because I keep hearing how creepy it is from everyone.

Heather19
10-25-2017, 05:01 AM
It's taken me a while to get into the spirit considering how the world is now but I'm starting to get it back. I plan on watching À l'intérieur (AKA Inside) again soon. I know it's my favorite Christmas movie but it goes quite well with Halloween as well. :evil: It doesn't seem like anywhere has seen it but Bruce. You guys have to watch that one! Soooo good!

I've had that one on my to see list since you mentioned it ages ago, but netflix doesn't carry it, not even the dvd :(

Tommy
10-25-2017, 05:49 AM

I've had that one on my to see list since you mentioned it ages ago, but netflix doesn't carry it, not even the dvd :(

It can be rented on Youtube in HD for 3.99. I've never rented anything from Youtube before so I don't know how reliable their rentals are....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJhIuYB1NAw

Heather19
10-25-2017, 05:50 AM
Thanks, nor have I but maybe I'll give it a try.

Mattrick
10-26-2017, 02:16 AM
Watched The Orphanage for the first time in a few years. Simply a stellar film more than just a stellar horror film. Brooding, creepy, and only one true jump scare. There's no bells and whistles or tricks to this film. It's just pitch perfect photography from Oscar Faura with a creeping camera which pulls you along like a kid tugging on your pantleg. Great performances, exquisite production helmed by Guillermo Del Toro, all tied together by one of the best working directors J.A. Bayona (if you haven't watched A Monster Calls, watch it). It's just one of those films that weighs heavy on the soul, so full of grief. And that "twist" is one of the best of all time (it rivals The Sixth Sense for me) and hits you like a total gut punch. What makes The Orphange so special as a horror film is that it's constant waiting...we're so trained by horror films to have things reach out from the edge of the frame to jolt us, that when we expect it and we don't get it, the tension just builds and builds. Thank god for that one good jolt in the middle of the film. The Orphanage is a horror that preys on expectations and it lets us scare ourselves. Granted, there are a few good creepy bits in the film, notably when the medium pays the house a visit, but other than that its just dread and anticipation, and that's what really worms its way inside you and nests by the end of the film. Goddamn it's such a good film. I wish it was more talk about when it came to horror films.

Ricky
10-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Watched 31 today. Much better than Lords of Salem. Probably my second most enjoyed behind The Devil's Rejects. I haven't seen his Halloween re-makes though.

Heather19
10-29-2017, 03:15 PM
So glad you liked it Ricky. I need to pick up the DVD, it has a documentary on it that covers the making of the film that I've been dying to see.

Ricky
10-29-2017, 06:39 PM
I could've sworn you saw the documentary with the movie in the theater? But yeah, it was on the DVD Netflix sent me but I wasn't really interested in watching it.

needfulthings
10-29-2017, 09:27 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6811/PNAgPN.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img923/2649/FU9wSq.jpg

Heather19
10-30-2017, 05:29 AM
I could've sworn you saw the documentary with the movie in the theater? But yeah, it was on the DVD Netflix sent me but I wasn't really interested in watching it.

No, they just showed a sneak peak, maybe 15 min of it. And then some other stuff like an interview with Rob Zombie and a music video.

needfulthings
10-31-2017, 11:54 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/570/UHmSSD.jpg

Tommy
10-31-2017, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpiAbCMxQiU

One of my favorite personifications of Satan

Girlystevedave
10-31-2017, 02:24 PM
So I managed to watch all of the Insidious movies this Halloween. (Fucking incredible series, by the way). I'm gonna wrap up my Halloween by watching The Conjuring pt 2 tonight. :D

Ricky
10-31-2017, 04:44 PM
Yes! The Grand Finale to Halloween! :lol:

I'm gonna watch Halloween (and maybe another movie, if I can stay awake).

webstar1000
11-01-2017, 04:07 AM
I watched SAW... my all time Fav Halloween movie (other than IT now).

Girlystevedave
11-01-2017, 05:00 AM
Yes! The Grand Finale to Halloween! :lol:

I'm gonna watch Halloween (and maybe another movie, if I can stay awake).

Haha. It was the Grand Finale!

And now for the regret over all the movies I didn't watch. haha.

Oh, wait, nevermind. That's what happens at Christmas. :cyclops:

Did you manage to stay awake for any movies other than Halloween?

Ricky
11-01-2017, 02:55 PM
I totally have all-the-movies-I-didn't-watch Halloween regrets, but not as bad at Christmas.

And as you know by now, I was close to not making it through Halloween so I definitely didn't watch anything else. Even as I was watching it I was like, "There's no way I'm staying up until 1am." :lol: