PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower Comics Series - General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Patrick
05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
This thread is for general discussion on the topic of the Dark Tower comic book series.

Please read the SPOILER WARNING thread and follow the guidelines therein.

Thanks!

jhanic
05-13-2007, 07:34 AM
I have to admit that I haven't yet started the series; I'm waiting for all seven issues before I begin. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense to many of us (and to me either, actually, because I read each volume of The Green Mile as it came out) but that's just what I'm doing.

John

Brice
05-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Well, it sorta' makes sense in a way maybe. I just couldn't do it personally.

fernandito
05-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Well, it sorta' makes sense in a way maybe. I just couldn't do it personally.

Yeah, me either; my extremely limited patience won't allow it :borg:

Matt
05-14-2007, 05:43 PM
It would have been easy for me with my limited access to comics but I've been driving miles for them for years already.

MonteGss
05-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I've bought all of mine via eBay. I could drive to a comic book store, but I'm lazy and the one that is near my place doesn't carry it.
I really hope there isn't a long wait between the first arc and the second...

Matt
05-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Me too, I am hoping these come out wham, bam, thank you ma'am. :lol:

I do all mine off of ebay too, unless I can get to Denver and see my buddy Aaron. :D

Squatchie
05-17-2007, 01:04 AM
My favourite part of the comics thus far has been the addendums that Robin Furth's been writing, explaining the geography of Mid-World, and the creation of both Maerlyn's Rainbow and gunslinger's guns.

That's the sort of stuff I've been salivating for since I started reading them oh so many years ago.

MonteGss
05-17-2007, 05:39 PM
My favourite part of the comics thus far has been the addendums that Robin Furth's been writing, explaining the geography of Mid-World, and the creation of both Maerlyn's Rainbow and gunslinger's guns.

That's the sort of stuff I've been salivating for since I started reading them oh so many years ago.

I like the backstories too. I think I enjoy just seeing the characters too! :)

Spencer
05-18-2007, 04:50 AM

I like seeing the ones that were only referred to in the books, like John Farson.

fernandito
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM

I like seeing the ones that were only referred to in the books, like John Farson.

Hell yes! I love the way that Farson is portrayed in the comics, he looks brutal.

sarah
05-18-2007, 02:12 PM

You know, i think this is my favorite as well. I like having this history and part of the story that wasn't told in books 1-7. Rolands memory at times is vague and swiss cheese like. Robin Furth just laid it all out in a short descriptive story.

mmmm swiss cheese.

MonteGss
05-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Whoever reads anything on the second arc (how many will there be anyway?) has to promise to post it here for everyone. :)

Jen
05-20-2007, 04:51 AM
I'm reading the comics as they come out (or a little after they come out, as AJ has to mail them to me from PA). I have to say that I'm enjoying them quite a lot, and they've made me start rereading the series, which I'd been intending to do for some time now. I'm partway through the Gunslinger for the umteenth time, and loving it. :wub:

The style of the artwork took some getting used to, but now I'm really enjoying it. Not being a comic fan, really, I can't comment on how they stack up compared to other comics...but they seem pretty freakin' awesome to me. :D

Yay for new Tower stuff for us old-timers to get excited about again!

Matt
05-20-2007, 09:58 PM
:D

I've been busy

There is also a page for the Gunslinger Born series. I gave heavy credit where it was due for the images. :huglove:

www.thedarktower.org/comictower

Daghain
05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
I get mine from g-mart.com - they're awesome. You can even set up a subscription so they'll automatically ship to you, and they do a great job of wrapping them up so that they don't get folded, stapled or mutilated. :D

VolsToTheWall
05-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Whoever reads anything on the second arc (how many will there be anyway?) has to promise to post it here for everyone. :)

In the Marvel Spotlight issue focusing on The Dark Tower comic, it says that the second arc will be 5 issues in length, and cover the boys return to Gilead. The rest of the arcs are supposed to all be 6 issue arcs, so that would be 3 more 6 issue arcs after the second arc.

MonteGss
05-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks dude! By chance did it say when we could expect the second arc? Or, how long between each one?

VolsToTheWall
05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks dude! By chance did it say when we could expect the second arc? Or, how long between each one?

No, it didn't give any info on how long there will be between each arc. All I've read are the various unconfirmed things I've found on the net, that there will most likely be a few months between arcs, but again that's just speculation. I sure hope we only have to wait a few months between the arcs though. ;)

Matt
05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Me too. I can't imagine having to wait again like we did with the books.

Old Man Splitfoot
05-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Honestly, one of the things I liked the most about the books was the waiting between. Well, I certianly didn'y enjoy it at the time, but now that I look back, it helped the release day seem all the more sweet. So if we have a couple months wait between arcs, I won't mind terribly.

MonteGss
05-24-2007, 04:50 PM
:o

Daghain
05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Anticipation is the best. For any of you who were younger when you started the DT series of books ( I was REALLY young, in my early 20's yet) you can appreciate the anticipation...it's the BEST!!!

Matt
05-25-2007, 04:44 AM
I was fine with the original waits and suffered through them all. Its why I never shop online--to "instant gratification" oriented. :lol:

So it would be nice if it wasn't too long :D

Matt
06-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I did the best I could with what I had but now...we are going totally techno. :nana:

Look for this page on the website to be auto updated from the information here you guys. It'll look a little different but this is pretty much what we are talking about.

www.thedarktower.org/newstest

sarah
06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
wow matt, that's really cool. great job!

Daghain
06-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Awesome! :)

Matt
06-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks you guys :)

BlakeMP
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Totally awesome, dude. Love it.

Matt
06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
This page is pretty much fixed for now. :D

Have a look http://www.thedarktower.org/comictower (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/../comictower)

Matt
06-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I replaced it right as you were saying that Chris, I should test before I post. :D

OchrisO
06-17-2007, 07:02 PM
I replaced it right as you were saying that Chris, I should test before I post. :D

Haha. i noticed the change and deleted my post.

Patrick
06-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Looks great, Matt!

Matt
06-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks Patrick, I am still going to put new stuff on but that is the basic jist :cool:

VolsToTheWall
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Very nice work. :thumbsup:

jhanic
06-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Does anyone have any idea on the size of the print run for Arc #1? I know issue 1 was supposed to be about 200,000, but I have no idea on the following ones. Also, I know there have been some second printings of the first three issues with different covers. I've only been able to locate the first one at my local stores. The owners all have copies of the first printings of the others still on the shelves.

John

Cutter
06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Does anyone have any idea on the size of the print run for Arc #1? I know issue 1 was supposed to be about 200,000, but I have no idea on the following ones. Also, I know there have been some second printings of the first three issues with different covers. I've only been able to locate the first one at my local stores. The owners all have copies of the first printings of the others still on the shelves.

John

I'm pretty sure the second printing of the second issue hasn't been released yet. Although it should be any day.

About the print run, I don't know

Matt
06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Same here, I was pretty sure that only the first one went into a second printing up till now.

Patrick
06-20-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the second printing of the second issue hasn't been released yet. Although it should be any day...

Same here, I was pretty sure that only the first one went into a second printing up till now.

It's been out for over a month. Ahem (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=5675&postcount=6).

Matt
06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Dang, I can't believe I haven't seen every word on this site. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Patrick

VolsToTheWall
06-20-2007, 02:20 PM
The second print run of issue #4 is scheduled to ship along with issue #6. They haven't announced the second print run of #3 yet however. As as far the print run numbers I don't know.

Patrick
06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Dang, I can't believe I haven't seen every word on this site. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Patrick
No worries, Matt, it's a big site. :)

The second print run of issue #4 is scheduled to ship along with issue #6. They haven't announced the second print run of #3 yet however. As as far the print run numbers I don't know.
Thanks, Vols. I do like these second printing variant covers. I hope they do a second on issue #3.

VolsToTheWall
06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Vols. I do like these second printing variant covers. I hope they do a second on issue #3.
Funny that issue #4 sold out before issue #3 did huh? I'm sure we'll eventually get 2nd run variants for all of them. Why wouldn't they do it? Easy money from suckers like me. ;) The last time I was in my local comic shop the guy told me he could still order issues of the first print run of #3, so hopefully it will sell out soon.

Patrick
06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
... I'm sure we'll eventually get 2nd run variants for all of them. Why wouldn't they do it? Easy money from suckers like me. ;) ...
Yep, me too. :lol:

Great Old One
06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Comic tower looks great,Matt Good Job! I especially like the phases of the moon

Matt
06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
:blush:

Thank you so much :D

VolsToTheWall
06-27-2007, 10:44 PM
How about that sweet color variant for issue #6?
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/VolsToTheWall/dt6var.jpg
That's some cool stuff. I love the skulls on the inside of his coat, and just the overall style of this one.

Matt
06-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Wow! That is a great piece of artwork.

Daghain
06-28-2007, 07:44 AM
THAT is very cool. :)

MonteGss
06-28-2007, 06:44 PM
I took it. I think that may be a future av after my current one wears on me. :)

VolsToTheWall
06-28-2007, 07:46 PM

You callin' dibs Monte? ;)

Patrick
06-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Very cool.

MonteGss
06-29-2007, 03:29 AM

You callin' dibs Monte? ;)

No, no dibs. I just think it's obvious that I'm the Roland the Gunslinger lover around here. :D :lol:

Mordred Deschain
07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
I think the comic is awesome, I just hope they do a good job with continuing it, if they do.

Patrick
07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that they are going to continue this thing. :)

Mordred Deschain
07-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Not the best picture but....

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/070707_23331.jpg

natehorning
07-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Are the second arc's release dates available yet? I haven't heard them and am afraid there is going to be a significant break.

Nate

Matt
07-24-2007, 05:50 AM
I haven't heard either Nate but I'm chomping at the bit to find out.

As soon as we hear, I am going to put an announcement on the comic site page.

Wuducynn
07-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Are the second arc's release dates available yet? I haven't heard them and am afraid there is going to be a significant break.

From Shawn aka "Glass" on TheDarkTower.Net

Hi All,

My representative at Diamond just wrote me. He checks up on me every once in a while to make sure the comic books ordered for The Signed Page are up to quality and standards, etc. Super nice guy.

In the email I got from him today, he said the second arc's solicitation will be in October for a December release. I asked him for any titles as well, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

So we'll be getting a Christmas present. Pretty neato.

Shawn

Matt
07-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks for posting that Matthew, I keep hoping we will get Glass here.

I should visit his site and invite him personally.

natehorning
07-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the information. December isn't too far away; I guess I can wait.

Nate

fernandito
07-24-2007, 11:18 AM
They might as well of named this first series Wizard & Glass. <.<

Mordred Deschain
07-24-2007, 02:10 PM
They might as well of named this first series Wizard & Glass. <.<

I agree. My biggest question is, if they continue, and they start doing the books, what are they going to do with Wizard and Glass? I know there's more to it, but 3/4 of the book is what they are showing in the comic.

jhanic
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM
According to everything I've read, the remaining arcs tell stories that are mentioned, but not written about, in The Dark Tower. Finally, for example, we'll find out what really happened at Jericho Hill.

John

Matt
07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
:excited:

That makes me feel good in secret places. No matter how often I hear it.

I'm actually really looking forward to that no only because it will establish a new piece of the story but also because it will be easier to enjoy them from the artist and writer perspective.

With nothing to base a comparison on I mean.

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2007, 05:14 AM
According to everything I've read, the remaining arcs tell stories that are mentioned, but not written about, in The Dark Tower. Finally, for example, we'll find out what really happened at Jericho Hill.

John

Awesome!!!

Wuducynn
07-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Yeah, the mentioned ones like Walking Waters and probably all new stories too.

Patrick
07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
:excited:

That makes me feel good in secret places. No matter how often I hear it.

I'm actually really looking forward to that no only because it will establish a new piece of the story but also because it will be easier to enjoy them from the artist and writer perspective.

With nothing to base a comparison on I mean.
I agree completely, Matt. :rock:

Matt
08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey all,

Now that the last of this series is out, I am hoping someone could create a graphic for me that includes all the issues--plus their runs--plus their varients.

I know we have something close to that in a poll thread right now, which gave me the idea but I didn't see the varients on that.

The reason I want it is because it is going to be the main image on the comics page until the new arc starts up.

Matt
08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I was actually able to solve this with some BBcode.

The idea struck me in the middle of the night. I would still love it if someone had the time to throw them all together but I think this will work for now.

check it out!!

Updated Comics Page to include all known variants--sketch--printings and companions (http://www.thedarktower.org/comictower)

Daghain
08-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Actually, I like that. It looks cool.

Wuducynn
08-05-2007, 03:18 PM
I agree. It looks great!

jhanic
08-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Looking good!!!

John

Matt
08-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Sweet!

I figure it will stay static that way for a while, when the new stuff starts coming up, we'll feature those an issue at a time.

appreciate the feedback. :D

Darkthoughts
08-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I think I'm in love with Jae Lee's image of Cuthbert...he is HOT!! :D

Wuducynn
10-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Found this website and figured folk who haven't ordered the series or part of the series and would prefer a different vendor than Amazon would like it..

http://talesofwonder.com/dark-tower.php

Storyslinger
10-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks CK

Patrick
11-24-2007, 08:06 PM
FYI, I just merged a couple old threads talking about the comictower page into this thread.

Wuducynn
12-26-2007, 06:43 PM
You can now view the first issue of The Gunslinger Born online, if you're one of those who haven't had a chance to buy the series or aren't sure if you want to. Check it out..

http://www.marvel.com/digitalcomics/titles/Dark_Tower~colon~_The_Gunslinger_Born.2007.1?utm_s ource=usatoday&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign=usatoday

MonteGss
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
I got the hardcover of Gunslinger Born today. :)

Wuducynn
12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Awesome. My only complaint is the lack of the end-stories...still not sure what crack they were smoking at Marvel that made them decide to not include them.

MonteGss
12-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Agreed.

Daghain
12-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I was disappointed as well. I hope there's some good stuff in the next arc!

jayson
01-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Same here. I was glad to have the entire arc in one book, but I wish they had included the supplemental material as well. I still have all of my individual issues, but it'd have been nice to have them all in a single volume. If they continue to include stuff like this in the comics, and I hope they do, perhaps they could release all of the "extra" stuff in separate hardcover edition when the whole thing is done. now THAT would be a cool single volume.

Brice
01-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Same here. I was glad to have the entire arc in one book, but I wish they had included the supplemental material as well. I still have all of my individual issues, but it'd have been nice to have them all in a single volume. If they continue to include stuff like this in the comics, and I hope they do, perhaps they could release all of the "extra" stuff in separate hardcover edition when the whole thing is done. now THAT would be a cool single volume.

If I were to bet...this is the only reason I can see why they'd have held back those.

Wuducynn
01-04-2008, 09:21 AM
The Gunslinger's Guidebook has a lot of the supplemental material in it. But they really should have included it. I'm not sure what a supplemental material edition would be called? Dark Tower Mythos?

jayson
01-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm sure they'll come up with some clever Tower-related name for it. It'd be a cool book though.

Matt
01-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I bet that is exactly what they are going to do. :rock:

jayson
01-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I bet that is exactly what they are going to do. :rock:

How much? lol

Matt
01-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Lets see, I'll put 1000 beam bucks on it :lol:

jayson
01-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, I'm not about to bet against something I hope they will do. It was my idea dammit!:shoot:

Wuducynn
01-04-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm sure they'll come up with some clever Tower-related name for it. It'd be a cool book though.

They just better or I might just get put out.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Wait a minute, I've been out of it awhile, are you saying there is more Tower goodness coming to the stands in comic form?

jayson
01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Yes, these first seven, "The Gunslinger Born," were only the first arc of the full series. The second story arc, "The Long Road Home" is due to start its release in March.

mia/susannah
02-12-2008, 01:25 PM
I have recieved The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born Hardcover Comic Book. My question is, are 2-7 going to be in hardback or regular comic book type? and are they going to be a single comic book for each 2-7? :doh:

Matt
02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
The hardcover that is avaiable now should be 1-7 of Gunslinger Born representing the first arc of the series.

The next arc (The Long Road Home) should run close to the same number of issues and I am sure there will be a hard back version of it as well when the print run is done.

Daghain
02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
The hardcover is the whole first set. There will likely be a hardcover edition of the second arc as well. There is a section dedicated to the comics here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=12) if you want more info. :)

Bev Vincent
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
The second arc is 5 issues, and I think there will be a hardcover omnibus edition, especially since the first one sold so well.

Take note, though, that if you only purchased the hardcover collection you are missing out on a lot of material that wasn't included that was in the individual installments. Robin's mythology tales, most notably, which for me were the best part of the series.

Matt
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
^ :thumbsup:

I don't have the hardcover at all yet, the individuals are a must as Bev is saying above, a lot of cool stuff in there.

Wuducynn
02-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Robin's mythology tales, most notably, which for me were the best part of the series.

Same here :thumbsup:

Shouldn't this thread be merged into one of the threads in the Dark Tower Comic forum?

Daghain
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Yes, it should. I have requested the move, but don't have the superpower to do it myself. :)

Wuducynn
02-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Yes, it should. I have requested the move, but don't have the superpower to do it myself. :)

Mmmmmmm but you have your womanly wiles and thats what matters.

Daghain
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Yep, that's how I'm going to get this thread moved. :lol:

Matt
02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Its really working too, I'll move it now. :rock:

Wuducynn
02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
While Matt has his pants, which is where his superpowers come from.

Daghain
02-12-2008, 02:13 PM
:rofl:

Thanks for moving that, Matty! :wub:

aurora
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
First hello, while I have been visiting this forum for months I have not taken anytime to post (I know thats sad especially since I'm a admin and/or mod of several large CG forums). As for my love with The Dark Tower well let me put it this way I had the first edition copies of both 'The Gunslinger' and 'Drawing of the Three' within a week of the original release, soo....

Anyways I finally got the hardback since I never managed to get the comics. So what exactly am I missing by not having the individual copies? Is it really worth trying to find ones someplace?

And I'm assuming thats going to be the same issue with the next arc too, starting in March?

Matt
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey aurora, glad you are posting.

In my personal opinion, the individual comics are totally worth getting. The thing that is missing is these great "origin" type text stories that were at the end of everyone.

Just as a taste, one mentions the "Crimson Queen" :excited:

I suspect it will be the same with the next arc. I also suspect that someday they will publish all of these in one volume but they are a great read and worth the individual comic price alone.

EDIT--I wonder if we can find someone to transcribe those out here for all to read.

Daghain
02-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Two words: copyright infringement. :lol:

They are being used as references in Towerpedia! entries, though.

mia/susannah
02-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the information. I think I would also like to have the individual comics as well. But I have never heard about the Crimson Queen. The only one I heard of or read about was the Crimson King. :nana:

Matt
02-13-2008, 08:20 AM

Yeah, stupid laws. :lol:

sai blaine
02-13-2008, 08:25 AM

Yeah, stupid laws. :lol:
:borg: I am the law *gets to work posting*

jayson
02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the information. I think I would also like to have the individual comics as well. But I have never heard about the Crimson Queen. The only one I heard of or read about was the Crimson King. :nana:

that's precisely what's cool about the individual issues of the comics, you get more detailed information about things like the Crimson King's origin, the metaphysics of the multiverse, the time of Arthur Eld, etc. I def reccommend checking them out.

aurora
02-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the additional info guys. Looks like I'll have to do some web hunting this week then!
Gotta a bunch of DT related artwork I hope to show off to you guys in the near future all CG but in a few different styles including animations. But I'm really wanting to do a bunch of stuff from the Long Ago, mainly in the Days of Arthur Eld so this additional input has been real valuable to me. Thanks again. I may not hesitate to chat here more now :rose:

jayson
02-13-2008, 09:10 AM
looking fwd to seeing your art aurora. good to have you here.

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Yes, the single issues of Gunslinger Born are totally worth buying/reading. The hardcover edition of G.B. not so much as it doesn't have any of the extra stories in it and it's really only worth buying if you are a sucker for all things Dark Tower.....like me! :D

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes, the single issues of Gunslinger Born are totally worth buying/reading. The hardcover edition of G.B. not so much as it doesn't have any of the extra stories in it and it's really only worth buying if you are a sucker for all things Dark Tower.....like me! :D

Strongly seconded. I love the format of the hardcover compilation though. I just wish they had included the end-stories...I think someone at Marvel didn't get laid, so they were in a bad mood and chose to not add them.

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 09:19 AM
That sounds reasonable enough. *shrugs*

Matt
02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the additional info guys. Looks like I'll have to do some web hunting this week then!
Gotta a bunch of DT related artwork I hope to show off to you guys in the near future all CG but in a few different styles including animations. But I'm really wanting to do a bunch of stuff from the Long Ago, mainly in the Days of Arthur Eld so this additional input has been real valuable to me. Thanks again. I may not hesitate to chat here more now :rose:

Can't wait to see it aurora. We are having artwork contests all over the place for our wiki--would love to add some of yours to that.

At any rate--can't wait to see it.

Daghain
02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, since Matt, beat me to it, yeah, check out the art contests for Towerpedia! Two are currently running and more to follow!

mia/susannah
02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
May I ask what you mean by arc?

MonteGss
02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I am sure there is some better way to explain it but:
Think of an arc like a TV season.
The first "season" of The Dark Tower comic was Gunslinger Born. The second "season" is Long Road Home. :)

jhanic
02-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Let me try. An arc is a single series of comics with the same overall title. Each arc stands individually, but is part of a larger "picture". Thus, the first arc of the Dark Tower picture was Gunslinger Born, and the second is Long Walk Home, both of which are part of The Dark Tower series. There are other arcs to come.

John

Daghain
02-16-2008, 10:32 AM
:thumbsup:

What they said. :)

fernandito
02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
I think Monte's explanation was perfect.

Randall Flagg
02-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Both explanations are great, and far better than I could have said.
Thanks to both.

jemaher
02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey does anyone know whats going on with all the sketch variants popping up all the sudden? The dt1 sketch used to routinely fetch $90 plus and I just picked up 8 for $35 a piece. did they release a bunch more?

Ruthful
03-02-2008, 07:24 AM
http://www.midtowncomics.com/custompages/signings_events.asp?crypt=HPcog%3F%28NPcog%3F%28Wu gtKF%3F99822384%3B%28WutPcog%3F%28WutV%7Brg%3F%28W utNgxgn%3F

jemaher
03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
am i the only one who is noticing all the sketch variants on ebay all the sudden?

Daghain
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Someone probably thinks he can make a buck in the hype surrounding the second arc.

jemaher
03-03-2008, 07:57 PM
it is just weird. two months ago you could not find the dt1 sketch for less than 90 and i have picked up 20 copies for $35 or less in the last 2 weeks. I am starting to wonder if they didnt release a bunch more instead of the limited release origionally quoted dealer incentive

Daghain
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Oh, I don't know. That's interesting.

Maybe people who bought them thinking they'd go way up in price are unloading them now.

Mordred Deschain
03-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Bought this today

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/gunslinger.jpg

Wuducynn
03-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I think everyone and their brother and fifth cousin thrice removed knows it by now MD, thanks.

Mordred Deschain
03-06-2008, 08:20 PM
:lol: I try to spread the word.

jemaher
03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh, I don't know. That's interesting.

Maybe people who bought them thinking they'd go way up in price are unloading them now.

I just bought a dealers entire stock of dt1 sketch variants, so i hope they are going to be worth more someday...

TheDTrain989
06-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I gotta say I think the comics are great and I'm already obsessed with them. But is anyone else concerned about these inconsistencies in regards to the novels?
For example, in the first book, during Roland's palaver with the man in the black, Roland questions Walter about the CK like he has never met or seen him before. Walter responds that he has never even seen his master. Well, that's all good, but in the Gunslinger Born arc, Marten speaks with CK and even visits his castle. Then, in the recent Long Road Home comics, Roland's soul travels with Marten to the court of the CK. So, why would Roland be so ignorant of the CK at the end of the Gunslinger?
Also, why is the CK in the comics so much more badass than King's anticlimatic ending (EEEEEEEEEEEE!!)
Jae Lee is great with dramatic stuff and dark action, but not good with happy emotions. I mean, no ever even smiles. Susan just looks seductive all the time, and Marten isn't the evil laughing figure he is portrayed as in the series.

Brainslinger
06-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I gotta say I think the comics are great and I'm already obsessed with them. But is anyone else concerned about these inconsistencies in regards to the novels?

To some extent I agree with you. I still disagree with the way the grapefruit acted at the start of The Long Road Home, and all that business with the ka-tet visiting Susan's corpse. The argument that this arc is whole new stuff doesn't wash either as the start overlaps with the ending of the novel Wizard and Glass. The story should have started with Roland being comatose after seeing Susan's fate in the glass, and the ka-tet leaving rather that that stuff.

For example, in the first book, during Roland's palaver with the man in the black, Roland questions Walter about the CK like he has never met or seen him before. Walter responds that he has never even seen his master.

I don't actually see that as an inconsistency. It's pretty certain that Walter would have communicated with the Crimson King, and doing it via Black 13 is as good a way as any. That doesn't mean he has actually met him in the flesh, which is what he is referring to in The Gunslinger, I believe.

...in the Gunslinger Born arc, Marten speaks with CK and even visits his castle. Then, in the recent Long Road Home comics, Roland's soul travels with Marten to the court of the CK. So, why would Roland be so ignorant of the CK at the end of the Gunslinger?

That rings a bell, although I know they didn't actually show that scene, so I think it was likely something Walter said, i.e. something that happened off-stage (or should I say off-page?) as it were. We don't know he actually physically saw him.

As for the Long Road Home, I've yet to read the latest issue. However, Roland and Walter were both travelling todash at the time, so again, I'm not sure that's an inconsistency (although if anything I'd imagine the Crimson King would be more real there, more fearsome todash than in the flesh, as he is partly of the todash between place... but anyhow.)

Also bear in mind Walter isn't the most truthful of chaps. He could have lied about having never seen the Crimson King (although I don't see his motivation for doing that except to make Los appear more fearsome in Roland's eyes) and it still wouldn't be an inconsistency. Strictly speaking.

Also, why is the CK in the comics so much more badass than King's anticlimatic ending (EEEEEEEEEEEE!!)

To be fair, I think the CK had fallen a long way from the time period of the comics to his appearance in DT7. Come to think of it, I think he may have fallen a long way from the time period of The Gunslinger, to the last book.

Jae Lee is great with dramatic stuff and dark action, but not good with happy emotions. I mean, no ever even smiles. Susan just looks seductive all the time, and Marten isn't the evil laughing figure he is portrayed as in the series.

I agree with this. Having the horse drovers daughter in long flowing robes much of the time wasn't really true to character. As for Marten, actually, if you read the Gunslinger, he wasn't the 'evil laughing figure'. The personas of Walter and Flagg did a lot of tittering (and yes I know they are the same being.) but not Marten. Of course, even when Walter makes his small appearance in The Gunslinger Born, he's pretty serious, but the situation kind of fit.

I do agree with you though. Cuthbert always looks serious in the comics too. Even though he is described as quick to smile, (or words to that effect) in the comics themselves.

Jae Lee for all his talent doesn't do the smiley faces much... which is a shame. We'll just have to imagine they're grinning between the panels I guess. :cowboy:

CyberGhostface
06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, about Roland not remembering CK, that's pretty easy. I think its been established that Roland's not going to remember his encounters in the Glass.

As for how the Crimson King turned from a hulking badass whose mere voice causes crib death into an old man in depends throwing Harry Potter bombs...I'm hoping that this will be explained at the end of the series or at least hinted at. Keep in mind we still have a loooong way to go for Roland to get to the Dark Tower.

Walter not meeting the CK...well, he did say that the CK often visited him in dreams, while not the same thing, there is a bit of wiggle room.

Of course, being sloppy with continuity is nothing new for King...:P

Brainslinger
06-08-2008, 08:15 PM
>Of course, being sloppy with continuity is nothing new for King...

And possibly other writers in this case. (Depending on how it pans out.)

Off-topic, but that's a brilliant freaky pic of Flagg on your banner Cyber. At least the Stand artist has gotten him with his trademark grin!

CyberGhostface
06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
It's probably the other writers' faults in this case (although King is going over each script) but there was a fair amount of sloppiness in the DT series. King even tried to rectify this with the Revised, and ended up making the series more sloppy...

Although to be fair, a number of the pre-revised errors are hardly noticeable until someone points them out.

Míchéal
07-11-2008, 08:23 AM
So the Gunslinger Guidebook, I didn't even know Gunslinger Born happened until it was over so I missed the Guidebook too. Anyone know if it's on sale anywhere?

fernandito
07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Check out Amazon.com dude, I'm %100 sure you'll find it there.

Míchéal
07-11-2008, 12:43 PM
cheers. :)

Mordred Deschain
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/thestandcomic1-1.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/thestandcomic1-2-1.jpg

Bluenose
08-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Just finished Gunslinger Born...cant wait for Long Road Home. The Stand comic looks pretty cool as well. Must get round to rereading that again...so many books, so little time!

kirin
08-18-2008, 08:01 AM
so just as a starter i have purchased the gunslinger born all seven chapters in one graphic novel which one am i looking for after that?

Daghain
08-18-2008, 08:33 AM
You're looking for The Long Road Home. The omnibus isn't out yet, I don't think.

fernandito
08-18-2008, 08:35 AM
When is Treachery set to release? :orely:

Daghain
08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
I think there's a thread in here somewhere that has the date. Hmm....

fernandito
08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Really? Let me use my bat-sonar to find it.

:cyclops:

jhanic
08-18-2008, 10:11 AM
The first issue of Treachery is due September 10, as is the first issue of The Stand. The hardcover of The Long Road Home is due in October, according to the promotional card issued for Treachery.

John

kirin
08-18-2008, 10:11 AM
You're looking for The Long Road Home. The omnibus isn't out yet, I don't think.

thanks was in forbidden planet in leeds city centre today got the gunslinger born asked about graphic novel of the long road home as they only had last two volume in the smaller comic book form they said it wasnt out yet anyone know when i can get hold of it in england ?

jhanic
08-18-2008, 10:14 AM
From Amazon.co.uk:

Long Road Home HC

This has an issue date of 7 October 2008

John

kirin
08-18-2008, 10:16 AM
not that that should matter too much this ones an import i just noticed

thanks for the link :)

Bluenose
08-24-2008, 03:25 AM
forbidden planet should have them in, anyway, if the one in Belfast is anything to go by!

fernandito
09-06-2008, 12:07 AM
This. Looks. Amazing.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/treachery1.jpg

Daghain
09-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Oh wow! I like it! I'm saving that for a future sig/av. :)

jayson
09-06-2008, 10:54 AM
This. Looks. Amazing.

Overall I like it, but it kinda looks like he's wearing leather pants. Is it Roland or Jim Morrison? :lol:

Daghain
09-06-2008, 11:29 AM
LOL!

jayson
09-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Still it is a freakin' cool illustration! The smoke is my favorite part. Smoke is hard to draw/paint, but that looks so realistic and yet illustrated at the same time.

what
09-09-2008, 04:21 AM
Overall I like it, but it kinda looks like he's wearing leather pants. Is it Roland or Jim Morrison? :lol:

I think they are just really really dirty! You know the ones that stand up when you take them off?

lipgloss_and_revolver
09-09-2008, 05:01 AM
WOW that indeed, is one cool art! :excited:

Mordred Deschain
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
This. Looks. Amazing.

Jim would have a bottle of whisky in his hand instead of a gun. :)

Arthur Heath
09-12-2008, 08:58 AM
I havent bought an individual comic in years. So already, waiting for Gunslinger: The Long Road Home to come out in HC, I'm now a complete story arc behind...
:angry:

jayson
09-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I havent bought an individual comic in years. So already, waiting for Gunslinger: The Long Road Home to come out in HC, I'm now a complete story arc behind...

So are you also behind on the supplementary material (the "end-stories") which are in the individual issues but not published in the HC? I have suggested that they may eventually all be published in an HC of their own, but that's pure speculation on my part. It's the advantage in getting the individual issues (not that I didn't buy the HC of Gunslinger Born as well).

Arthur Heath
09-12-2008, 01:54 PM

So are you also behind on the supplementary material (the "end-stories") which are in the individual issues but not published in the HC? I have suggested that they may eventually all be published in an HC of their own, but that's pure speculation on my part. It's the advantage in getting the individual issues (not that I didn't buy the HC of Gunslinger Born as well).

Empath of the White
09-13-2008, 08:31 AM
For those that collected the individual issues of The Gunslinger Born, were the maps from the hardcover graphic novel included in the back with Furth's prose pieces? I'd personally like to see more such maps. Also, I hope she does a piece detailing the wasteland mutants.

Brainslinger
09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
There were maps in one or two of the comics yes. The way I understand it I think everything from the GN is in the comics, but not vice versa. With the possible exception of variant covers (I think they might have had those in the novel, but having not seen in it can't say for sure.)

Sai Farson
11-17-2008, 09:51 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/612/medium/GuideToGilead.jpg

DARK TOWER: GUIDE TO GILEAD

In Stores April, 2009

Written by ANTHONY FLAMINI & ROBIN FURTH

Illustrated by DAVID YARDIN and JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Since the Golden Age of Eld — when Gilead was first named the capital of the fledgling Kingdom of All-World — the city has served as Mid-World's most influential urban center. In the latest DARK TOWER handbook, explore Gilead's seedy Lower Town and its affluent West End corridor! Learn about the religions of Buffalo Star and the Queen o' Green Days! Marvel at the legend of Lord Perth! Beware the threats posed by the Blue-Faced Barbarians and Kuvian Night Soldiers! The GUIDE TO GILEAD is the only way to navigate the past, present and future of this magnificent metropolis!

32 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99
©2008 Stephen King. All rights reserved.

Daghain
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh, SWEET!

Steve
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
AW HELL YEAH!!!!

Darkthoughts
11-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Maps?! I hope so!!

turtlex
11-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Sa-weet... Just emailed my comic guy to request a CGC copy.

gsvec
11-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I just called my comic guy, too. :lol:

jhanic
11-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't have to call my guy--he save three copies for me automatically.

John

gsvec
11-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Mine saves copies for me, too, but sometimes he forgets the ones not actually IN the arcs!

jhanic
11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
If it says Stephen King on it, my guy saves it for me. I get the posters, bookmarks, promos, etc.

John

turtlex
11-18-2008, 03:49 AM
I have this guy that goes out hunting for 9.8 cgc's and submits them for me. The price is okay, but best of all - I'm pretty much gauranteed a 9.8 cgc of all the DT comics. It's rare that he can't find one in 9.8 condition. My collection of DT cgc's continues to grow!

MonteGss
11-18-2008, 07:55 AM
I just started having my comic shop save me Joe Hill and King comics. I went in last week to pick up my helds (first time) and they had forgotten. :(
I still got them but hopefully they get it figured out for next month and for this handbook. :)

turtlex
11-18-2008, 08:36 AM
MonteGss - there are a ton of Joe Hill available at eBay, all CGC'd. Actually, Joe Hill has more 10 and 9.9 graded CGC's than any comic I've ever seen.

Just as an FYI : grading wise - I'd say about 90% of comics that sell at stores would grade at a 9.2, at best. So finding one that grades at a 9.8 takes a real eye for details.

I get my "reading" comics from a subscription service. So I can get multiple copies - for me, my girl and a friend of mine at work.

Sai Farson
11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
OK, I recognize all of the other references, but who are the "Kuvian Night Soldiers?" Which book were they mentioned in? :orely:

Brainslinger
11-18-2008, 11:14 AM
OK, I recognize all of the other references, but who are the "Kuvian Night Soldiers?" Which book were they mentioned in? :orely:

I don't know, but for some reason 'Kuvian Night Soldiers' is familiar.

Daghain
11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I'll try and remember to check the Concordance tonight when I get home. Maybe there's something in there.

Silvermoth
11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I wonder if all of these guides will eventually be made into a trade paperback. If so, I want it badly!

Bev Vincent
11-18-2008, 04:33 PM
The Kuvian night-soldier was a brief mention in the original version of The Gunslinger, but deleted in the revised version.

"I’m going to tell your future, Roland. Seven cards must be turned, one at a time, and placed in conjunction with the others. I’ve not done this for over three hundred years. And I suspect I’ve never read one quite like yours." The mocking note was creeping in again, like a Kuvian night-soldier with a killing knife gripped in one hand.

Daghain
11-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Bev!

MonteGss
11-18-2008, 11:59 PM
MonteGss - there are a ton of Joe Hill available at eBay, all CGC'd. Actually, Joe Hill has more 10 and 9.9 graded CGC's than any comic I've ever seen.

Just as an FYI : grading wise - I'd say about 90% of comics that sell at stores would grade at a 9.2, at best. So finding one that grades at a 9.8 takes a real eye for details.

I get my "reading" comics from a subscription service. So I can get multiple copies - for me, my girl and a friend of mine at work.

Thanks, but I have all of Joe Hill's comics already. I was referring to his future issues. :)

jhanic
11-19-2008, 06:33 AM
According to Bev Vincent, the Guide to Gilead is due out February, 2009.

John

Sai Farson
11-19-2008, 07:35 AM
According to Bev Vincent, the Guide to Gilead is due out February, 2009.

John

The Marvel Comics site now says February 11, 2009.

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=11058

Bluenose
11-21-2008, 02:29 PM
There were variant covers included with both Gunslinger Born and The Long Road Home, but wether it was ALL of them, I dont know. Also some really cool pencil sketch to final picture stuff. Just finished The Long Road Home a few days ago, cant wait for Treachery!

Matt
11-21-2008, 02:41 PM
It was very cool to see all those in one place though. I would still like the back stories.

Bluenose
11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
It was! Both Gunslinger Born and The Long Road Home, two beautifully put togehter books.

Brainslinger
11-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Just finished The Long Road Home a few days ago, cant wait for Treachery!

Treachery is shaping up to be a good un so far!

Empath of the White
11-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Indeed it is. I'm glad to see we're getting away from the Crimson King for a while at least. Didn't care for him in The Long Road Home. When I think of the King, I prefer to think of Whelan's artwork in DT7, not a bloated gray guy with manboobs.

For those that have the HC graphic novel of The Long Road Home, is any of the supplemental backstory there, or was it ommited again?

sarah
11-24-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm so excited about this.

*puts the date on the calendar*

Wuducynn
11-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm happy with the physical depiction of the CK (yes gut and all). I just think they're not using that much imagination in his portrayal, and have been making him too much of a cliched archvillain. There were a few other things in The Long Road Home in how he was depicted that I didn't like. Also, they needed to combine imagery of him as he was in DT7 too. As in the long hair white hair and crimson eyes.

Wuducynn
11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Dark Tower: Talking with Robin Furth Pt. 1

One of the architects of DARK TOWER: TREACHERY speaks out in the first installment of an in-depth interview

By Neil Kleid

Robin Furth has seen the world end.

Desperately riding from a murderous posse, numb from a senseless death and headed towards treacherous waters, Robin bears an advantage her fellowship lacks: she knows how it all turns out. She has to—her first job before taking a single step inside the Dark Tower comic book universe was to co-plot Roland Deschain's early adventures from proud beginning to sorrowful finale at Jericho Hill.

Under the watchful eye of novelist and "Dark Tower" creator Stephen King, Furth has unquestionably become the best source of Dark Tower legend and lore. Now, alongside Peter David, Jae Lee and Richard Isanove, she uses that knowledge to explore and expand Roland's unwritten back-story, bringing to life stories and folklore only hinted at throughout King's best-selling novels.

To celebrate the release of THE DARK TOWER: TREACHERY this week, Robin kindly granted Marvel.com this in-depth interview, answering questions about her time in Mid-World and the long road still to come.

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064439_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064439_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
THE DARK
TOWER: THE
GUNSLINGER
BORN (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064439_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Marvel.com: "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." That opening line—the beginning of Roland's journey—unlocks the door to "The Dark Tower" and a limitless wealth of story. How did Robin Furth's journey to the Dark Tower begin?

Robin Furth: The man in black fled across the desert…what a great line! Anyway, my own journey with Roland across Mid-World's deserts began about eight years ago—back in December of 2000. At the time I was a graduate student in the English Department at the University of Maine. Burt Hatlen, who was one of my advisors, had also been Stephen King's professor while Steve was an undergrad, and the two of them had remained friends. Hence when Steve contacted Burt and told him that he needed a temporary research assistant and wanted to give a helping hand to a graduate student, Burt thought of me. Burt knew that I loved horror and supernatural fiction—in fact, that's what my thesis was about!—and that I was a fan of Steve's. He also knew that I was a published writer, and so—lucky me!—he put my name down for the job.

My first task was to help sort through the thousands of stories that came into the office in response to Steve's "On Writing" contest. That was really interesting, since it meant I had the chance to read lots of great fan writing. But after a couple of months, that job came to a close, and I went to the office to pick up my final paycheck and to chat with Marsha DiFilippo, Steve's personal assistant. For the rest of my life I'll remember that day. It was the winter solstice, Maine had just suffered one of the worst ice storms in its history, and I hadn't had power for a week. I'd had the occasional bath at a friend's house, but really was reduced to washing my face and hands with cold water pulled up in a bucket from my grandparent's hand dug well. Needless to say, I felt both grimy and smelly. But who should be there in the office when I arrived but Steve himself, whom I'd never met in the flesh before! Boy was I embarrassed. But when he asked if I'd like to take on more work—he wanted to finish up the Dark Tower series and needed someone to make lists of characters and places found in the first four books, along with any page references they appeared on so that he could check for continuity—I took the job in a heartbeat.

I started right away and by the end of January I had a fat black-bound book to hand in to Steve. At the front I'd drawn a magical door with a sigul for "The Writer" on it, so Steve could re-enter Mid-World. Then I taped a key to the front so that he could open the door. I think the book was a lot bigger and a lot more detailed than Steve expected, and I guess he liked it a lot. Anyway, he asked me if I wanted to stay on. He would hand me the manuscripts of the next three books in installments and I would continue keeping track of all characters, places, languages, etc. Quite amazing, when you think about it!

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064653_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/4862264256_full1064666.jpg','_blank','scrollbars=y es,resizable=yes'))
THE DARK
TOWER: THE
LONG ROAD
HOME (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/4862264256_full1064666.jpg','_blank','scrollbars=y es,resizable=yes'))
[B]Marvel.com: Ka, or destiny, guides Roland along his life's path—do you feel ka guided you to yours? Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Robin Furth: Yes on both accounts! Weird as it may sound, I do believe that ka--or fate/karma/destiny as it is known in our world—has an effect upon all of our lives. I think that we still have free will and can decide how to react to the events that take place in our lives, but some of those events seem to be just waiting for us, like signposts in the middle of the road.

For several months before Steve asked me to work on the Dark Tower project, I kept having these really weird dreams about Towers and red, demon-faced moons. Though I was a fan of Steve's other work I hadn't read the Dark Tower novels yet so I began to wonder whether I was going crackers! I had this one dream which was especially vivid. I was climbing up the stairwell of this haunted, soot-colored Tower which was full of doors that would open and close by themselves, though I could never see inside any of them. But then all of a sudden I was crouched on the top of the tower, and its insides had disappeared. All I could see was this swirling, hungry vortex. The winds whipped around me and storm clouds flew over my head, and I was certain I was going to fall into that vortex and be swallowed by it! It was both a terrifying and an awe-inspiring sight, like the vortex of eternity! No wonder it was so scary…

The other uncanny event was that I started to have, well, a ghostly visitor. My husband and I were living in a trailer at the time. You know the kind—a kitchen, a living room, and two bedrooms, one at either end of the house, though Mark and I had transformed the second bedroom into a writing room.

Anyway, I started to sense someone pacing at the writing room door. Whenever I sat in the living room reading, with the door to my right, out of the corner of my eye I saw this tall, thin, shadow-man pacing back and forth, as if he really wanted to break through into our world but for some reason couldn't. I could even feel his impatience. I sensed he was a character, not a ghost, but I also knew he was not my character! Then one day the door—or should I say the portal that shared space with my writing room door—opened. I felt the character give a great sigh of relief and step through into our world. Not long after that, I started working for Steve. To this day, I swear that visitor was Roland.

And in answer to the second part of the question—yes, I've always wanted to be a writer! By the time I met Steve I'd already published quite a bit of poetry in U.S. journals. However, ["The Dark Tower: A Complete Concordance"] was my first published prose.

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064477_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064477_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
THE DARK
TOWER:
TREACHERY #1
cover by Jae Lee
& Richard
Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064477_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Marvel.com: Which bring us to your first Dark Tower work, the Concordance, which compiles all things Dark Tower into a reference guide and no doubt, an adapter's dream. What were the triumphs and challenges you faced while assembling it?

Robin Furth: I suppose the greatest triumph was actually having the opportunity to write the book, and to have Steve's support for the project. Besides being a writer, my other ambition has always been to become a folklorist. Hence, having the chance to become Mid-World's folklorist was like a dream come true.

The challenges were many! As you know, the Dark Tower novels—taken together—are vast. In order to write the Concordance I had to go through the novels page by page, often many times, documenting each time a character was mentioned, a place was mentioned, or when a new Mid-World term appeared. I created a giant index for Steve, and then had to redo the index when the book was accepted by Scribner. Most of my page references actually referred to Steve's manuscripts, which wouldn't have done readers any good! Then, when the book was accepted by Hodder in the [United Kingdom], I re-indexed the whole thing again! As you can imagine, I started to have nightmares about page references and would wake up in the night crying out things like, "Page 347!"

My biggest fear was accuracy. Dark Tower fans really know their stuff, so I didn't want to disappoint anybody, especially Steve! Because of this, I checked and rechecked all of my entries and facts. By the end of it all, the Dark Tower novels really lived inside of my brain, which isn't surprising! When I'm looking for a quote, I can usually still find the page without checking the Concordance. Strange, huh?

Marvel.com: Strange indeed! Now, as a writer who has adapted literature, I know what it's like to handle an author's precious work with kid gloves. Are there rules for working on "The Dark Tower," or any other King novel and have they changed over the years?

Robin Furth: I guess the most important thing is to show respect for the author and his work, and to try to remain true to the original story and vision. While writing THE GUNSLINGER BORN, which was an adaptation of "Wizard and Glass," this was my top priority. It was also the top priority of everybody working on the project.

Transforming a story from words to images is never easy. Hence, there were times when I had to take scenes from other Dark Tower novels and place them in the "Wizard and Glass" storyline in order to maintain the continuity of the tale. But whenever I did this I made sure that the addition would help new readers really grasp the Dark Tower universe. In this way I tried to fill in a lot of the background info that readers of the novels get while reading the larger text.

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064500_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064500_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
THE DARK
TOWER:
TREACHERY #2
cover by Jae Lee
& Richard
Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064500_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
When it was time to move from "Wizard and Glass" into the less charted regions of LONG ROAD HOME, I was really determined to remain true to Steve's world and characters. However, I also had to fall back upon my own imagination in order to flesh out the tales. Steve provided all the story-seeds in his novel, but I had to really let my mind dwell on these seeds in order to let them sprout. That's been both a challenge and a pleasure!

Marvel.com: Do you find yourself falling into the unique language and vocabulary of the series throughout the day? You must have had to adopt an entirely new dictionary.

Robin Furth: I do when I'm talking to Dark Tower fans or when I'm working on the Dark Tower project. Peter and I do a lot of writing back and forth in Mid-World speak, which isn't surprising! I also fall into it if I send an e-mail to Steve about the project. It's kind of catchy!

Marvel.com: "The Dark Tower" and Marvel Comics. Honestly—before the big meeting, before Joe Quesada and the amazing sample pages—what was your first reaction? Were you a Marvel fan before this?

Robin Furth: I read a lot of comics when I was younger—like most girls I had a big crush on Spider-Man—but by the time I was in high school and college I felt a tremendous pressure to leave all that behind me. But the love of illustration and illustrated stories never died. In fact, to this day I consider the Russian illustrator Ivan Bilibin to be one of my most important creative influences.

Though I tried to keep my Spider-Man crush a secret—me and spiders…go figure!—when I reached college my roommate really liked the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. My husband—who I met the year after I graduated—also loved Fat Freddy's Cat as well as Robert Crumb and Steve Bell's work, so I spent a lot of time enjoying those. My brother-in-law collected the early Viz, which I also loved. Yes, I have to admit it. I think the old Topless Skateboard Nun is a hoot. I've also always loved fantasy and sci-fi art of all kinds, and there's a big crossover between that kind of illustration and comic book art. In my 20s I discovered anime and became a big fan of Vampire Hunter D, and started to collect some vampire-related comics. Can't help it, I have a thing about blood-suckers…

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064512_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064512_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
THE DARK
TOWER:
TREACHERY #3
cover by Jae Lee
& Richard
Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/4862new_storyimage1064512_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
So anyway, when I found out that Dark Tower was going to move into comics, I thought it was pretty spectacular, but I was also really scared about doing a good-enough job. I'll tell you it's been quite a learning curve—at times like climbing up a skyscraper—but I've loved it. I've been incredibly lucky that the editors at Marvel have been so helpful and supportive. It has been great! The hard work has been worth it, and I keep realizing how much there is still to learn! But I guess that's the way of it, isn't it?

Wuducynn
11-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Dark Tower: Talking with Robin Furth Pt. 2

The TREACHERY scribe continues to educate us on the Dark Tower and bringing Stephen King's masterpiece to comics

Before taking a single step inside Marvel Comics' Dark Tower comic book universe, Robin Furth had to document Roland Deschain's early journey from its proud beginning to its eventual, sorrowful finale at Jericho Hill.

Under the watchful eye of novelist and creator Stephen King, Robin Furth has become a walking encyclopedia of Dark Tower legend and lore, and alongside Peter David, Jae Lee and Richard Isanove, she uses that knowledge to present Roland's unwritten back story in Marvel's DARK TOWER series, bringing to life stories and folklore only hinted at throughout King's best-selling novels.

In the second of our three-part, in-depth interview celebrating DARK TOWER: TREACHERY, the third limited series from Marvel series—the first part (http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4862.Dark_Tower~colon~_Talking_with_R obin_Furth_Pt~dot~_1) of which is still available—Robin discusses the creative process, triumphs and tribulations and how to condense 700 pages into seven 22-page issues.
http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1671911_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1671911_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
DARK TOWER:
TREACHERY #2
cover by Jae Lee
& Richard
Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1671911_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Marvel.com: Once the hands were shaken and the contracts signed, how did the process of creating the DARK TOWER comics get started? What's the typical writing process and does it change much with each consecutive series?

Robin Furth: We were incredibly lucky in that we had about a year or so between the contracts being signed and the first issue of the first comic book being due for delivery. That was great for me, since it gave me plenty of time to work with the editors on the project—Ralph Macchio, John Barber, and Nicole Boose. They were great! My job was to plot out the tale from the time when Roland left Gilead for Hambry—the events recounted in "Wizard and Glass"—right through to the gunslingers' final stand at Jericho Hill. In other words, I had to cover the ground from Roland, age 14, to Roland, age 22. I also had to describe the huge transformations and upheavals that happen within Mid-World during that time span.

I really worked hard, and with lots of feedback from the editors I created a rough outline that covered the whole period. The plan was for me to create five story arcs of approximately six issues each, but as soon as I looked at the amount of ground we had to cover in order to retell the story of "Wizard and Glass," I knew we were going to have some problems.

As longtime Dark Tower fans know, "Wizard and Glass" is almost 700 pages long and absolutely packed with events. Because of this—and because I wanted to do justice to the novel—my first scene-by-scene outline was eight issues long. I managed to cut it down to seven, but when I tried to cut down to six, so much of the action had been axed that we all decided to go with seven issues for GUNSLINGER BORN and five for LONG ROA HOME. This felt right to me since the time period covered by LONG ROAD HOME was actually much briefer than the time period covered by GUNSLINGER BORN.

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1671984_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1671984_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
DARK TOWER:
TREACHERY #2
variant cover by
Jim Cheung (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1671984_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
After finishing GUNSLINGER BORN, I moved on to expand the outline for LONG ROAD HOME and TREACHERY. I did these in fairly rapid succession since the juices were flowing and I wanted Jae, Richard, and Peter to have the extra info to turn to while they were working. My outlines then went to Jae, who broke my scene-by-scene story into a panel-by-panel, page-by-page comic book. At this point in the project, we started some round table discussions about what would work best on the page. This was great and I learned a lot, since Jae, Peter, and Richard have a tremendous amount of experience and skill. These days discussion about the story and the art is still a big part of the process. We've worked together for such a long time now that we all feel more comfortable. There is also a tremendous amount of mutual respect. I really have to stress how lucky I feel, having the chance to work on DARK TOWER. How many newcomers to comics have a chance to work with such talented and accomplished folks?

Marvel.com: Not many! While the talented and accomplished creative team adapted GUNSLINGER BORN from the fourth novel, "Wizard and Glass" as you mentioned, the rest of the comics venture into new territory with new material. What are the hard and fast rules of crafting never before seen Dark Tower stories?

Robin Furth:</B> I think the most important part is to remain true to the story and to the tale that Stephen King tells in the Dark Tower novels. Throughout the books, Roland Deschain tells us bits and pieces about his personal history and about the trials he faced both after leaving Hambry and during the difficult period that led to the Battle of Jericho Hill. It was these tales that I wove together to create the plots of LONG ROAD HOME and TREACHERY. My aim has always been to flesh out the tales in a way that is true to both the characters and the world they come from. So far Steve King has been pleased, and so as long as he gives his stamp of approval, I'm happy!

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1672018_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1672018_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
DARK TOWER:
TREACHERY #3
cover by Jae Lee
& Richard
Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1672018_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Marvel.com: How much of the story has already been plotted?

Robin Furth: As I said, we have a general outline that goes all the way to the Battle of Jericho Hill, but the more detailed outlines only go up to TREACHERY. I have a lot of exciting work ahead of me!

Marvel.com: Of course the stories you, Stephen and Peter create end up beautifully illustrated by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove. What's the collaborative process like between DARK TOWER writers and artists? Are you big on detailed panel descriptions or do you place faith in Jae and Richard's skill and experience?

Robin Furth: In my outlines, I try to tell the tale with enough visual detail to get Jae and Richard's imaginations going. My aim is really to get across Steve's vision, as well as the world and the characters as they appear in his novels. From there, Jae and Richard create something unique, beautiful, and utterly awe-inspiring. The same goes for Peter's scripts. They bring the tale to life, which is very moving for me, since as I said I've been living in Mid-World for a very long time. All of these separate parts of the process—outlines, art, and script—go through Steve as well, which is as it should be! He has final say on everything.

Marvel.com: What's been the biggest triumph thus far in writing the DARK TOWER comics? Which moment can you point to proudly and say, "that one's mine"?

Robin Furth: To tell the truth, for me the biggest triumph has been the comics themselves! I've never had the chance to take part in this kind of collaboration before, and I think it's amazing to watch this comic book come into being that is so much bigger than any single person. I mean, every one of us has put our whole http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1672048_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1672048_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
DARK TOWER:
TREACHERY #4
cover by Jae Lee
& Richard
Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5003new_storyimage1672048_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
heart into this. I've brought my knowledge of the original tales and of Mid-World and its people. Jae and Richard have fleshed out the landscape and the people with their fantastic art, and they have given the stories an incredible dynamism. Peter has given the characters voices by creating superb dialogue, and has maintained a terrific narrator's voice, which holds the tale together. What a treat! It makes me think that if only we human beings could learn to work together like this in other aspects of life, the world really would become a much better, more peaceful place.

Marvel.com: Besides co-writing the main stories, you're also providing back matter for the books in the form of articles, maps and biographies. How much of the material comes from the "Concordance" and how much is brand new?

Robin Furth: I'm really glad you asked this question because I think it's something that many readers want to know more about. Every article and every biography is based in Mid-World history and Mid-World folklore, but I've also had to do a lot of imagining and expanding. Often I try to bring many different bits of history together, and by so doing give readers a deeper insight into what it means to live in Mid-World. I definitely see these tales and articles as a continuation of the "Concordance," but they are simultaneously something new. Each article or tale is designed to work with the issue in which it appears. For example, in TREACHERY, we meet a new character named Aileen Ritter. She's Cort's niece and she wants more than anything to train as a gunslinger. Problem is, girls aren't allowed to be gunslingers. Hence the article accompanying that particular issue is about a woman's place in Mid-World, and about how girls like Aileen would like to see it change…

Wuducynn
11-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Dark Tower: Talking with Robin Furth Pt. 3

In the final part of our chat with the TREACHERY writer, she discusses her love of maps and the future of the Tower

By Neil Kleid

Roland Deschain falls into the possessive grasp of Maerlyn's Grapefruit as the players of DARK TOWER: TREACHERY—Marvel Comics' third comic book series based on the novels by Stephen King—plot and scheme about him. Above them all, holding the puppet-strings alongside Peter David, Jae Lee and Richard Isanove: Robin Furth. Long before she took Roland's strings in hand, Robin documented his early adventures under the watchful eye of King.

A walking encyclopedia of Dark Tower legend and lore, Robin uses that knowledge to co-create Roland's back-story, bringing to life unwritten tales only hinted at throughout King's best-selling novels.

In the last of a three-part, in-depth interview celebrating TREACHERY—parts one (http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4862.Dark_Tower~colon~_Talking_with_R obin_Furth_Pt~dot~_1) and two (http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.5003.Dark_Tower~colon~_Talking_with_R obin_Furth_Pt~dot~_2) still available—Robin expresses her love for maps and folklore, how her life has been changed by comic books, and the bonds that tie her firmly to Mid-World.

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319561_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319561_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Preview art by
Jae Lee &
Richard Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319561_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Marvel.com: Maps, of course, are fairly important to Roland's quest. I understand you originally sketched many of the maps painstakingly recreated by Jim Calafiore. Is cartography a secret passion?

Robin Furth: Actually, it is! When I was a child, my grandparents had an old map of the Maine coast on the wall. In one of the map's corners there were some drawings of sea monsters, so for years I actually thought that there was a grotto of sea monsters living somewhere off the Maine coast! This thought scared me, but it also set my imagination on fire. When I got a little older, I became fascinated by the maps that appeared in fantasy novels. I would spend hours studying them and dreamt of writing novels that contained maps like those!

Marvel.com: The short folk tales you've written for the comics, fleshing out the lore and myth of the All-World, help establish a rich history that adds to the reader's enjoyment. As a writer, have you always wanted to try your hand at world building?

Robin Furth: Yes, world-building has always been an obsession of mine. Don't worry—I don't have a God complex or anything—I'm just fascinated by folklore! I spent much of my childhood reading fairytales, folktales, and any kind of mythology I could get my hands on. Later, in college, I also gobbled up a lot of anthropology texts as well as any sci-fi, fantasy, or magical realism I could find. Studying the history of English literature was also really helpful, since I realized that the world as we know it—and the cultural practices we take for granted—are far from http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319587_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319587_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Preview art by
Jae Lee &
Richard Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319587_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
assured. Over time, all cultures change. I've always been fascinated by the Arthurian legends and by the troubadours and the courtly love tradition, so I've tried to build some of that into the stories I tell. As readers know, those things play a large part in the Dark Tower novels, so it makes perfect sense.

Marvel.com: If you had your way, which would you choose to write in: script or prose?

Robin Furth: Both! I really do enjoy both and have been lucky enough to do both. I'd also have to throw poetry into the mix, since that feeds a different part of the soul.

Marvel.com: You've been living in Roland's world for almost 10 years now—which of his fellows or foes do you closely identify with?

Robin Furth: Wow—that's a tough one. I definitely feel haunted by Roland. Whenever I'm working really hard on Dark Tower stuff I feel this shadow hovering nearby. Sometimes I even look up, certain someone has walked into the room! I've had some pretty terrifying nightmares about the Crimson King as well, always in his spider form. And I've had some pretty scary run-ins with spiders while working on the comics. Once, while I was lying in bed trying to puzzle out a scene about the nasty red king, I opened my eyes to see this huge spider dangling over my face! Yikes! It was kind of like the Crimson King was having a laugh at my expense).

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319610_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319610_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Preview art by
Jae Lee &
Richard Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319610_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Otherwise, I have to say I have a really strong affection for Cuthbert, Alain, and Susan Delgado. That was why I was so pleased that Marvel wanted to start with "Wizard and Glass"—it meant that I was able to spend time with those particular old friends, who I really felt deserved more attention. When Susan died at the end of GUNSLINGER BORN, I cried, despite the fact that I knew what was coming!

Marvel.com: Aside from the Dark Tower books, you've worked on a LEGION OF MONSTERS comic and are now adapting the "Lords of Avalon" novels. Which other Marvel comics would you like to try your hand on?

Robin Furth: I'd love to do more with Satana and with her brother Daimon Hellstrom. I'd also love to work with Morbius, or with some of the characters who aren't as well-known, like Spellbinder—Erica Fortune. I think everybody dreams of doing things like Spider-Man or the X-Men or Fantastic Four, but there are so many great writers out there who have a lot more experience in those corners of the Marvel Universe so I think I'll continue to be an enthusiastic reader of those series! I'm a big fan of the adaptations of "Anita Blake." Those are a lot of fun! Most of all though, I'd like to be able to adapt fantasy and sci-fi novels to comic book form. I'd especially love to help bring some of the old horror and supernatural classics to life again!

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319642_thumb.jpg (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319642_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Preview art by
Jae Lee &
Richard Isanove (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/5302new_storyimage3319642_full.jpg','_blank','scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes'))
Marvel.com: It's been a long road—paved with interviews, conventions and signings—since Joe Quesada proudly announced the Dark Tower comics. How does it feel, being in the spotlight and signing at conventions?

Robin Furth: By nature I'm a fairly quiet person, so getting up in front of people is always a major event for me! As far as the success of the Dark Tower comics goes, I'm amazed and incredibly grateful that fans have enjoyed it. It's like a dream come true.

Marvel.com: Ka is like a wheel, it always comes around—do you see your life firmly entrenched in Roland's—and, by extension, Stephen's? Though you may move on to other worlds and projects, will the Dark Tower always bring you back?

Robin Furth:</B> Mid-World definitely has a hold on me! Whenever I think that I'm moving out of Roland's domain, something happens and I find myself back in the middle of Mid-World again. I'm in the process of finishing up a novel of my own and hope to work on many more comics, but Mid-World has become one of my homes. If I left for too long, I guess I'd get homesick!

Brainslinger
11-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Interesting stuff about the shadow and the spiders....
;{}

Wuducynn
11-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Kind of reminds me of the part in SOS where King sees the little red spiders the CK sent to turn him into a vampire :harrier:

Brainslinger
11-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Great minds think alike! (Well ok, not so great in my case.)

Targetting the next ves'ka gan in the continuing DT saga! Hee, hee.

Wuducynn
11-28-2008, 10:04 AM

Your self-deprecation will get you no where with me! Since you can sling your brain I'm assuming you can also sling your mind. :harrier: I enjoyed the interview, especially the part about the spider. VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY interesting.

Mordred Deschain
11-28-2008, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't exactly call his mind great either! After all he let himself get erased except his eyes! EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
heh Sorry All Hail!!

Wuducynn
11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Cute, but just so you know that's a big spoiler. ;) And It's not like the CK *let* himself get erased, there was quite a bit more to it than that as YOU VERY WELL KNOW..fucker!

Mordred Deschain
11-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Cute, but just so you know that's a big spoiler. ;) And It's not like the CK *let* himself get erased, there was quite a bit more to it than that as YOU VERY WELL KNOW..fucker!

Ya, except I didn't mention book or chapter! but I'll change it if I can.

hahah...I know I know I just wanted to make a comment

Wuducynn
11-28-2008, 10:26 AM
*Eats MD's soul with some fava beans and nice Chianti*

Sai Farson
12-15-2008, 11:05 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/631/medium/sorcerer.jpg

THE DARK TOWER: SORCERER #1

In Stores April 8th, 2009

Written by ROBIN FURTH

Art & Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE

A very special stand alone issue probing deeply into the incredible life of Marten Broadcloak. We learn his deadly secret agenda and true goal is not to serve the Crimson King, but to climb to the top of the Dark Tower itself and become the overlord of all existence! Written by Robin Furth, the guiding force behind the Dark Tower series and illustrated by Richard Isanove whose stunning coloring on Dark Tower has helped make every issue a work of art. This is an instant collector's item no Stephen King fan can afford to be without!

32 PGS./One-Shot/Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99

turtlex
12-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh no... time to get in touch with my CGC comic guy !

Tatts4Life
12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Sweet I'll have to see if my comic store will be carrying this.

gsvec
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Might be the next arc, no?

jayson
12-15-2008, 11:56 AM
It says in the description that it's a one-off.

"A very special stand alone issue..."

gsvec
12-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Well DUH to me. I even read it and missed it! :lol: Thanks, Jayson.

jhanic
12-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Any idea on a publication date?

John

Matt
12-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Mmmmm...one shot :drool:

Empath of the White
12-15-2008, 01:22 PM
So Satan's Left Nut might not actually be teh ebulz?!

Awesome!:cool: Very cool cover art, too.

pickle
12-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Sweet, is this going to be available in shops or just online?

herbertwest
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
So it's a parallela issue, based on texts by Robin Furth & nothing from King, right? any idea how much episods?

gsvec
12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
According to the Marvel site, this will be released in March 2009.

turtlex
12-16-2008, 04:00 AM
I haven't seen it in any issues of PREVIEWS yet.

CyberGhostface
12-16-2008, 06:14 AM
If done right, this will be exactly what I've been waiting for. :D

Aaron
12-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Listed release date is 03/11/2009.

jhanic
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Aaron!

John

Wuducynn
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
This looks great. My only wondering is since it is a "stand-alone" issue why it would be numbered?

pickle
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Im so jeliouse of you guys who know comic book people. All we have here is 2 large comic shops (Worlds Apart and Forbiden Planet) and being chains they are not very helpful. I would love to know a smaller comic dealer who i could get all my promo off.

RUBE
12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
This looks great. My only wondering is since it is a "stand-alone" issue why it would be numbered?

Maybe if it sells very well they will have more issues just about Marten/RF.

Aaron
12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I just hope that it doesn't conflict with the Walter Padick backstory laid out in DT7, since they are the same person. That will make me :onfire:

astifledchance
12-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Oh my god I cannot wait for this. I love Marten so much. He is my favorite Baddie :)

turtlex
12-28-2008, 12:35 PM
On the bright side, if it is simply a one-shot ( as indicated ) - it should be pretty long, I would think.

Oh, and sometimes Marvel numbers the one-shots with a #1 issue like heading. No clue why.

Matt of Gilead
01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Marvel often numbers one-shots. I would guess for consistency. One-shots can be longer, but not always. The Giant-Size label indicates length.

Wuducynn
01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Anyone know why the distribution date for the comics went from the first week of every month to the last?

turtlex
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Well, we had one that skipped December and is doing two in January. Not sure why.

Wuducynn
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, we had one that skipped December and is doing two in January. Not sure why.

Two DT comics in January? I never heard about that.

turtlex
01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Captain Trips # 4 at the beginning of January and Captain Trips # 5 at the end.

Sorry, not DT.

I just checked Diamond and Marvel and neither explain the change.

Aaron
01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Treachery #4 came out December 24th and #5 comes out 01/28, so it did move to the end of the month. I'm guessing it has more to do with production than anything.

The Stand's dates are: #4 on 01/02 and #5 on 01/28.

The Cosmic Geek
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Oh wow, I didn't know about this, cool! I will most definitely get this.

I do wish that Marvel would release a nice hardcover book just of the DT comic covers. I can't afford to buy all the different covers for each issue, and while they are in the graphic novels, a nice stand alone book, maybe with a page by each artist as to what they were thinking when they illustrated their cover, would be pretty darn sweet.

Wuducynn
01-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh, and sometimes Marvel numbers the one-shots with a #1 issue like heading. No clue why.

Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, but whatever floats their boat.

Daghain
01-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Maybe it's in case they decide to expand on the series?

That's just the accountant in me talking. :D

Wuducynn
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Maybe it's in case they decide to expand on the series?

That's just the accountant in me talking. :D

More like the optimist. That would be wicked cool.

Daghain
01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Well, yeah, that too.

Hmm. I'm not sure accountant and optimist belong in the same sentence. :lol:

Glass
02-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Marvel has posted the cover and the solicitation for Dark Tower: The Fall of Gilead.

But I see something I don't like... a lack of Jae Lee on interior pencils? Anyone else see this?

turtlex
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Looks like another 6 issue arc.

Not sure why they waited so long to announce this one. But I'm relieved to see it scheduled for release May 6, 2009.

No indication of a Midnight Launch... maybe Marvel is lightening up their Dark Tower push?

Glass
02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
My worry is that Marvel has removed their Dark Tower site because of Jae Lee no longer being on the book. The breaking of the creative fellowship, as it were.

I love Richard's work to death but I'm not sure how good his pencils are... and if we've lost Jae... grrr...!!

Perhaps Richard is penciling/painting this storyarc so Jae can get a jump on Jericho?

Shawn

turtlex
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Gosh, I didn't hear that - I so hope they don't pull Jae off ... that would suck, big time.

Brainslinger
02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
The art of the first cover looks pretty good though. Just click on it for a bigger picture.

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0509/DARKTWRV4001COV_col_sm.jpg (http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0509/DARKTWRV4001COV_col.jpg)

Glass
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Of course it looks good. It's Jae. :) And like I said on my Suvudu.com post yesterday, it looks like the left panel of a much larger image...

Brainslinger
02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Point is, this is the comic which Jae Lee isn't credited. (Although it looks like his art to me. Maybe it's a mistake, or he just did the cover.)

turtlex
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm guessing it's Jae and they just haven't listed it right on their website. Marvel's website isn't exactly accurate all the time.... they often list things late.

jhanic
02-19-2009, 10:45 AM
I may make a number of enemies with this, but I don't REALLY care if Jae does the art or not, as long as a decent artist is used. I'm mainly interested in the storyline.

John