PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower Comics Series - General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Daghain
09-19-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm not overly impressed with anything Robin is adding to the end of the comics. Frankly, I think I've only skimmed the last ones. If I weren't such a completist I'd just go with the hardcover at this point. :ninja:

CyberGhostface
09-19-2009, 10:22 AM
There was a fairly interesting Arthur Eld backstory in the second arc and one in the first arc that dealt with the origins of the Crimson King. Besides that a lot of it's yawn-inducing stuff about Gilead from what I can remember.

And Furth gave the worst possible origin for Jonas--it boggles my mind to imagine what she was smoking when she thought that was a good idea.

Daghain
09-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Whatever it was, I want some. :lol:

Ari_Racing
09-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the info, Pam!

Any news about Stephen King's "N"?

Brainslinger
09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
And Furth gave the worst possible origin for Jonas--it boggles my mind to imagine what she was smoking when she thought that was a good idea.

Yeah. I reason that away by putting it down to be one of those tall tales like those from Delain that grew in the telling.

I don't mind the idea that Jonas might have started off noble as a boy then became bitter, possibly partly due to an injury (albeit I'm sure that limp was from Fardo breaking his leg rather than a piece of poison glass but anyway). It certainly gives more dimension* to the character.Then there's the legend of Maerlyn's mirror, and one tale teller puts the two together, etc, etc.

*But that's just it... if we make the glass responsible, it kind of takes that extra dimension away...

CyberGhostface
09-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I'd like to believe that myself, but she wrote it off as fact in the DT Guidebook. Nothing like "Legend has it..." etc.

Also, what do people think about her essentially ripping off "The Snow Queen" for her whole "evil mirror" story? I mean, I'm all for being inspired by and making allusions to previous literary works, but she essentially just took what Hans Christian Andersen wrote and replaced the characters with DT ones without adding anything new.

For example, when Stephen King did his take on the "Seven Samurai", he just took the basic concept of the warriors defending the town against harriers trying to steal the crops and made it his own; I.E. having the 'harriers' steal children and returning them later Roont and so forth.

turtlex
09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Nothing new on "N" at all, Ari. It's still listed at Amazon, but I haven't seen a thing over at Marvel's site.

Daggers - Actually, the last little essay that Furth did, the one about Aileen and the origin of female gunslingers ( or something to that effect ) was actually pretty good. The others, well, meh. :D

Daghain
09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I started reading that one and quit about 1/4 of the way in. I'm still not impressed. :nope:

CyberGhostface
09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
http://i.newsarama.com/marvelnew/dec09/29_dark_tower__the_battle_of_jericho_hill_2.jpg

The first Beam has been broken! The Crimson King has created a prison for powerful psychics who use their powers to erode the very Beams that support the Dark Tower which is the fulcrum of reality! Gilead is in ruins, Mid-World is dying, and all that stands between the Crimson King and the utter dissolution of existence is a haggard Roland Deschain and his ka-tet. But first they must destroy the awful machines of war being erected by the Good Man, John Farson. Don’t miss this second issue in the greatest Dark Tower arc of all!

Daghain
09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Ooh, cool cover!

Merlin1958
09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
WOW!! Great Cover!!!!!!!!!

Wuducynn
09-22-2009, 02:30 PM
It's a great cover, but I'm hoping they make up for this past arc and actually have some mind-blowing content behind the great cover.

Daghain
09-22-2009, 03:25 PM
You said it!

Brainslinger
09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
That IS good. Bit of a samurai thing going on with the helmet there.

Wuducynn
09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Is that supposed to the CK himself do you think?

Brainslinger
09-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Is that supposed to the CK himself do you think?

With the glowing red eyes I wondered that.

I think it might just be a stylized picture of Farson though.

Wuducynn
09-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Makes me wonder. Because it doesn't look like either. Maybe it's a new player?

Sai Farson
09-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Grissom?

CyberGhostface
09-24-2009, 05:08 AM
Having the Crimson King fight at Jericho Hill (IF that's the CK, it probably isn't) reminds me of how Peter Jackson almost had Sauron and Aragorn in a swordfight at the end of Lord of the Rings. (It ultimately wasn't used.)

Brainslinger
09-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Having the Crimson King fight at Jericho Hill (IF that's the CK, it probably isn't) reminds me of how Peter Jackson almost had Sauron and Aragorn in a swordfight at the end of Lord of the Rings. (It ultimately wasn't used.)

Yes, I saw the deleted scene of that.

Lord of the Rings book and films Spoilers:
I'm glad that wasn't included as it wasn't true to the book... but I kind of wish some sort of face-to-face encounter with Sauron had happened in the book. While I love LotR I was a bit disappointed Frodo never actually faced Sauron. Having Aragorn face Sauron and Frodo/Gollum destroying the ring just in time before Aragorn's defeat would have been preferred in hindsight though, albeit that would be rather clichéd.

On the other hand, that's probably the boy in me crying out, the part of me that likes battle scenes, that likes discussing 'who would win in a fight between' on that thread, and watching 'Deadliest Warrior' on Bravo. I can see why Tolkien took the choice he did though.

Daghain
09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I think it's Farson myself. But you never know.

Wuducynn
09-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I wish they would have put Jae Lee on the last two of this arc. Whomever has been doing the "artwork" for The Fall of Gilead is a big part of the reason I can barely read it. It's so bad it hurts my eyes.

Daghain
09-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I believe that's Isanove. And yeah, it's disappointing.

CyberGhostface
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Isanove's doing this arc because of time constraints. Jae Lee's apparently doing a lot of work for the "Jericho Hill" arc, and there's no way he could do both that and "Fall of Gilead" in the time that Marvel wanted it released.

Daghain
09-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, but that doesn't mean I can't pout about it. :lol:

turtlex
09-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Gosh I've missed Jae Lee !!!

turtlex
09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I guess what I actually liked about that particular essay was that she tied her storyline back to Sai King's and explained how she came up with it - ie. Susannah and Aileen.

Lily-sai
09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Pre-ordered! :wub:

Everything DT related makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :)

turtlex
09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
that's what she said

:couple:

Lily-sai
09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
:innocent:

RUBE
09-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I see in the preview for the second issue of The Battle of Jericho Hill that it mentions a beam breaking. I guess that means my prediction must have been right. Also, the next arc looks pretty damn good.

Wuducynn
09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I see in the preview for the second issue of The Battle of Jericho Hill that it mentions a beam breaking. I guess that means my prediction must have been right. Also, the next arc looks pretty damn good.

Agreed. I'm hoping to get back to really enjoying the series again, which I was before The Fall of Gilead, with a few exceptions.

Ari_Racing
09-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks Pam for the info! :)

DanishCollector
09-26-2009, 04:09 PM
*SPOILERS AHEAD*

In the revised Gunslinger, it's mentioned Roland had to leave a girl in Kingstown (sp?) and nothing more is mentioned. Also, that he once saw a not-man (invisible man) being hanged. Maybe these two aren't important, but I was disappointed that King never told us more in the last three novels.

Glass
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm fairly sure Jae Lee hasn't been spending a ton of time on Jericho, although I bet they might already have an issue or two finished. I'll have to ask Robin about that.

If you are a comic book fan, you know Jae spent a great deal of time doing the art for a great many covers for Marvel's recent Dark Avengers storyline.

http://a9.idata.over-blog.com/0/28/72/04/XMen/darkxmen3.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/39_DARK_X_MEN__THE_BEGINNIN.jpg

Etc.

I too missed Jae on Gilead. But I'm happy he's back for -- what is to me -- the most important arc they all are doing. :)

Wuducynn
09-29-2009, 07:01 PM
He's just not big on smiles is he?

Daghain
09-29-2009, 09:33 PM
No, he's really not. I think I read somewhere about that, but damned if I can remember where.

He's a really cool guy though. We got to meet him in Vegas and he showed us a bunch of stuff in the works for the comics. It was awesome. :thumbsup:

CyberGhostface
09-30-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm fairly sure Jae Lee hasn't been spending a ton of time on Jericho, although I bet they might already have an issue or two finished. I'll have to ask Robin about that.

From Richard Isanove:

When we started on Dark Tower, the plan was to have a few months break between each story arc that would allow us to get a head start on the next one and spend about 5 to 6 weeks per issue. We were losing readers during those breaks so we lost our buffer.

The 5th story arc, the one after the current "Fall Of Gilead" is the "Battle of Jericho Hill". It's the Epic battle, the climax of the whole series and a key event in the Gunslinger's mythology. Armies facing each other in total mayhem along the lines of "Lawrence of Arabia", "Ran" or "Braveheart" but with cowboys in a medieval setting. The only way for Jae to be able to put into it the work that it deserves was to get a head start. So, while i'll be doing double duties on "Fall of Gilead" and try to keep the look of the series as consistent as possible, he will be pencilling the "Battle of Jericho Hill".

IWeJl
10-02-2009, 10:08 AM
*Spoiler Ahead*

Let's not forget that everyone has to die except Roland. We will see Alain accidentally cut down by Roland and Cuthbert....pretty tragic.

Then Cuthbert will die laughing alongside Roland, probably in the last episode right before Roland escapes death by hiding amongst the dead bodies.

I'm curious if they will have Roland take the Horn of Eld with him or not. Remember this is a nod to the circular nature of Roland's quest for the Tower.

Oh yeah, and Farson's gotta die. I hope Roland cuts his head off.

Hmmmmmmmm.................

Dean
10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I would of preferred to wait a few months for Jae Lee to finish The Fall of Gilead himself. I don't complain often, but that was honestly a real dissapointment for them to switch artists in the middle of the project. How King actually approved that I will never know. It kinda put a damper on the whole series for me.

It's kinda like someone saying "Hey listen to this Beatles album, it's their best ever..., but the four songs in the middle are by the Backstreet Boys, I hope you don't mind"

I'm new here so I'm sure people have mentioned their dissapointment in this, I just had to do the same. I was looking at the first arc the other day and it was even more breathtaking after seeing this last arc by Isanove. That thing is pure genius, it's Epic.

On another note, Richard Isanove is amazing too! If he had done the whole thing from start to finish I would of been more than pleased.

Daghain
10-11-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty much with you there, Dean, except I prefer Jae Lee to Isanove overall. But your Beatles analogy was spot on.

turtlex
10-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Dean - Welcome to the site!

Love that Backstreet/Beatles analogy.

I'm a Jae Lee fan, big time, and prefer his stuff to Isanove's. I can't wait for the issues to hit the stands.

Issue 5 of Fall of Gilead had some sneak preview Jae Lee pages in it and all I could think was .... Ah... he's coming back home! :D

Wuducynn
10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm a fan of Lee too and agree that they should have just stuck with him. Only thing is, Lee bless his heart really needs to try "smiles". My only complaint.

Daghain
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Ditto to that, Pam! The previews were a welcome surprise.

Brainslinger
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm a fan of Lee too and agree that they should have just stuck with him. Only thing is, Lee bless his heart really needs to try "smiles". My only complaint.

I agree. That was one thing I found a breath of fresh air in The Sorceror. Despite the change in artist.

CyberGhostface
10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I would of preferred to wait a few months for Jae Lee to finish The Fall of Gilead himself. I don't complain often, but that was honestly a real dissapointment for them to switch artists in the middle of the project.

Waiting a couple of months would have made the decline in sales even greater. And in the end, that's what Marvel cares about the most.

How King actually approved that I will never know.

Given some of the series' changes and additions to King's mythology, at this point I think King's actual involvement on the series is little more than going "Yep. Yep. Yep." to each script while rolling around in piles of cash. I really think he could care less what Marvel does at this point.

turtlex
10-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Marvel has announced that The Gunslinger is to be made into a comic, starting in 2010.

Text from Marvel (http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.9828.Diamond_Summit_~apos~09~colon~_D ark_Tower#)

Marvel, in collaboration with Stephen King, is proud to announce a new chapter in the Dark Tower graphic fiction adaptation - DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER. Beginning in 2010, The New York Times Best-Selling creative team of Peter David, Robin Furth and Richard Isanove return for a new arc exploring the life of Roland Deschain, revealing how and why he began his pursuit of the man in black across Mid-World's Mohaine Desert! Beginning another epic tale, told over multiple limited series, DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER marks another milestone for the graphic fiction sensation that's captivated fans worldwide. The Dark Tower collaboration between Marvel and Stephen King has drawn accolades from all corners, revolutionizing the comic book industry with previously unprecedented mainstream media coverage and the first worldwide midnight openings for a graphic fiction series.

"We are extremely excited to continue our epic journey into the DARK TOWER universe with THE GUNSLINGER," says Ruwan Jayatilleke, Senior Vice President, Strategic Development-Acquisitions & Licensing. "And we are equally ecstatic to continue our collaboration with Stephen King as well as keeping comic book fans on their toes!"

Following the climactic Battle of Jericho Hill, Roland Deschain now begins the most important journey of his young life in DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER.

turtlex
10-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Bev Vincent ( thank you Bev!! ) posted this preview page (http://www.stephenking.com/promo/gunslinger_gn/) link from Sai King's site.

Guess that's Isanove's version of a Slow Mutant?!?

( sorta bummed it's not a Jae Lee book )

Also... Sai King's site indicates a 30 issue arc !!!

CyberGhostface
10-13-2009, 07:44 AM
So is this an adaptation of The Gunslinger or another prequel?

And seriously...another thirty issues? Anyone else feel this is a bit overkill? I'm actually surprised that they're making more considering how the comics have really declined in sales. Especially since Jae Lee is no longer on apparently...

I know I've said this a lot now, but c'mon Marvel--you have Stephen King at your disposal. Do something with him. Have him write an original story, or maybe have him do something with Spider-Man. Enough with having other writers do what is essentially glorified fan fiction with his characters.

turtlex
10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
CG - I read it as an adaption of The Gunslinger... but that's a good question.

The release says " revealing how and why he began his pursuit of the man in black across Mid-World's Mohaine Desert " ... sounds like an adaption.

Thing is, I don't know how much Stephen King himself is at Marvel's disposal, so much as his published work has been liscensed to them. Sai King has put Furth in the drivers seat, so I'm guessing he wants to let this pony ride on without him. :cowboy:

Wuducynn
10-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm glad they're doing this but I hate, hate, hate Isanove's work. *sigh*

Wuducynn
10-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes, I'm wondering if this is going to be a combination of a prequel to Little Sisters of Eluria, up through LSOE and The Gunslinger?

pixiedark76
10-13-2009, 07:53 AM
YAY! More comics to spend my money on! My husband will be extremely thrilled to hear about another Dark Tower Comic!

turtlex
10-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Pixie - I know where you're coming from. I'm fairly sure my CGC-guy is putting his children through college on my Dark Tower CGC graded purchases. :lol:

I'm pretty happy about this, though ... any Dark Tower comic is cool with me. And Matthew - while I don't hate Isanove's work - I'd prefer a Jae Lee drawn book, but Marvel really doesn't listen to me about these things. :D

Thing is - Marvel has a huge list of very qualified artists, some young guns as they call them, and I'd love for them to give an arc to someone new. Calero has done some of the essay illustrations and those have been pretty cool... I'd love for them to give him a five/six issue arc and see where he would go with it.

CyberGhostface
10-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Thing is, I don't know how much Stephen King himself is at Marvel's disposal, so much as his published work has been liscensed to them. Sai King has put Furth in the drivers seat, so I'm guessing he wants to let this pony ride on without him. :cowboy:

He did mention in the afterword of the first issue how he would like to write for Marvel and that he had some ideas for some comics. One of them was Spider-Man having an nervous breakdown (or something) and another was a bunch of women who are soccer moms by day and witches battling each other at night. The latter could definitely be a fun, quirky read.

turtlex
10-13-2009, 08:01 AM

He did mention in the afterword of the first issue how he would like to write for Marvel and that he had some ideas for some comics. One of them was Spider-Man having an nervous breakdown (or something) and another was a bunch of women who are soccer moms by day and witches battling each other at night. The latter could definitely be a fun, quirky read.

I would love to see him take on Spidey... but I think I'm going to pass on any Soccer Mom/Witches thing. :lol:

I would bet the the month to month deadline has something to do with Sai King committing to writing a title... especially something like Spidey where there is an established history/bible that he'd have to follow.

Wuducynn
10-13-2009, 08:03 AM
I posted a question to Ms. Mod if my idea is true. Waiting on the (possible) reply.

turtlex
10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I posted a question to Ms. Mod if my idea is true. Waiting on the (possible) reply.

We await your scoopage !!

CyberGhostface
10-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I wonder if it'll ever get to the point where the entire series is in comic form.

Daghain
10-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, I'm wondering if this is going to be a combination of a prequel to Little Sisters of Eluria, up through LSOE and The Gunslinger?

THIS. That would be pretty cool.

Totally bummed Jae Lee's not in on it, though. Isanove's okay but I got spoiled by Jae Lee's interpretations and Isanove just isn't as good, IMHO.

wizardsrainbow
10-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Bev Vincent ( thank you Bev!! ) posted this preview page (http://www.stephenking.com/promo/gunslinger_gn/) link from Sai King's site.

Hmmm. I prefer Michael Whelan's version of Slow Mutants (although Michael would never agree to do a comic as far as I know).

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Whelan_Muties1.JPG

And I, too, am greatly disappointed that Jae will not be on board. My initial hit is that I will buy the trade editions to be sure but will give a pass to the variants this time around. Once Jerricho Hill is finished, I will have a complete set of all issues and all arcs. That will be good enough for me.

ola
10-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Enough with having other writers do what is essentially glorified fan fiction with his characters.

I think this is what I was trying to say in another post. I could explain away weird character backstories in my head as creative interpretations...but this is starting to get a little silly.

CyberGhostface
10-13-2009, 08:47 AM

Hmmm. I prefer Michael Whelan's version of Slow Mutants (although Michael would never agree to do a comic as far as I know).

And I, too, am greatly disappointed that Jae will not be on board. My initial hit is that I will buy the trade editions to be sure but will give a pass to the variants this time around. Once Jerricho Hill is finished, I will have a complete set of all issues and all arcs. That will be good enough for me.

Did he draw those mutants for you?

turtlex
10-13-2009, 08:47 AM
OMG !! Imagine if Michael Whelan took an arc of the DT comics?!? Wow! Talk about a dream come true. That would be awesome.

I like the Whelan muties best, as well. That Isanove preview mutie looks kind of like John Lone in Iceman. ( insert obtuse movie reference here )

I'm bummed about Jae Lee not taking the lead with this new series, for sure... but I do hold out hope... because you never know what Marvel will do and if there are problems, etc, then Marvel may reach out to other artists.

David - I'm going back and forth about the variants myself. It's pricey, and the Isanove variants... I just don't like them as much as the Jae Lee pieces. Of course, it would be great if they gave the variant's to Jae Lee! That would rock. Who knows - maybe they won't do the three covers per issue with this new set. I know, according to the sales and from talking to several comic show - the variants aren't exactly encouraging them to buy more copies. That's why the variants are so hard to find.

wizardsrainbow
10-13-2009, 09:00 AM

Did he draw those mutants for you?

He sure did! And here are 4 other sketches he did for me last month:

The Man in Black:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/DW_REMK_4.jpg

Roland rescuing Jake from the Temple of the Oracle:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Whelan_Temple.JPG

The Man in Black and Roland in the golgotha at the end of the book:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Whelan_Golgotha1.JPG

And finally (not from The Gunslinger), meet the new Father Callahan (me):

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Whelan_Callahan.JPG

turtlex
10-13-2009, 09:01 AM
David is the superhero of Michael Whelan remarques!

wizardsrainbow
10-13-2009, 09:05 AM
It will be interesting to see how sales go for the new series. One may argue that The Gunslinger has the broadest appeal (as far as collectibility of the books versus the other 6), but we shall see how the "back story" develops once the comic arc gets beyond what is already known from the book.

turtlex
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
It will be interesting to see how sales go for the new series. One may argue that The Gunslinger has the broadest appeal (as far as collectibility of the books versus the other 6), but we shall see how the "back story" develops once the comic arc gets beyond what is already known from the book.

This is an excellent point.

I suspect book title / name recognition was a prevailing concern when they decided on a new title - ie. The Gunslinger.

Now, we just have to figure out if it's a pre-Gunslinger / LSoE as Matthew suggested or if it's an actual adaption of The Gunslinger.

pathoftheturtle
10-13-2009, 09:15 AM

He did mention in the afterword of the first issue how he would like to write for Marvel and that he had some ideas for some comics. One of them was Spider-Man having an nervous breakdown (or something) and another was a bunch of women who are soccer moms by day and witches battling each other at night. The latter could definitely be a fun, quirky read.Yeah, that'd be beyond groovy.

You know, tho; King says stuff he doesn't really mean sometimes... like when he announced his retirement.
He'll probably just churn out more novels. (Which is quite fine to me.)

Still, we can hope! If you wanna start a petition, man, be sure let me know. :)

CyberGhostface
10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd be surprised if the sales were consistently better this time around. Obviously if Marvel does a lot of hype again it'll probably get a bump early on but it'll decline like it did last time, barring any major creative changes of course.

Also, those are some really cool drawings that Michael did. :)

turtlex
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
If they ( Marvel ) do another midnight launch with Sai King... you can bet the media will cover it all over the place. That was a huge boost for Gunslinger Born.

CyberGhostface
10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
I know--I just don't see the sales staying that high for long, even if King personally promotes it. At best I can see the first arc or two selling high and once the buzz wears off it'll sink. Jae Lee's absence probably won't help much, either.

wizardsrainbow
10-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I know--I just don't see the sales staying that high for long, even if King personally promotes it. At best I can see the first arc or two selling high and once the buzz wears off it'll sink. Jae Lee's absence probably won't help much, either.

I totally agree!

gsvec
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm sure I'll get the regular issues, but unless something phenominal happens with the variants, I don't think I'll bite on them. Now . . . if the 2 variants were Jae Lee and Michael Whelan? You betcha!!! :excited:

We're all entitled to dream right?

Daghain
10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Oh, that would be the one time I DID buy the variants!

Brainslinger
10-13-2009, 06:10 PM
If it's just an adaptation of The Gunslinger, I probably won't buy them (although I am curious about any off-stage stuff that might be included, like Walter and CK's shenanigans in The Gunslinger Born.) If it's a fill in story though... ho yes, I think I'd get them. The blurb did give me that impression, since there actually isn't a whole lot in the book describing how Roland came to be following Walter.

We know he sees him as the way to the Tower... which is probably reason in itself, but the specifics of how, i.e. when he caught the trail after the events of Little Sisters, etc, could be an interesting story.

Then again, if it's a prequel story, why call it The Gunslinger? Unless they're starting in prequel territory then adapting the book as well.

Daghain
10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I think it's going to be a graphic novel of The Gunslinger. I got the SK Newsletter today and that's what it said. (And stupidly I didn't c&p it over here). :doh:

Mark
10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
I'll have to wait ¬__¬ Britain never gets comics, only the collaboration about 2 months late.

Wuducynn
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
MsMod isn't replying to my question like I was guessing she wouldn't. So no answer from that end.

RIsanove
10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi

The piece attached to the article has nothing to do with me. It's was drawn a little while back by Jae Lee and colored by June Chung, so it's OK to like it. :)

Cheers,
Richard "Backstreet Boy" Isanove

RUBE
10-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Wow, y'all bashed him so much he decided to join just so he could defend himself.

wizardsrainbow
10-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Holy Moly! Hi Richard and welcome to the boards! I'm the guy that sent you the Long Road Home book to sign (and thanks for the bonus sketch) for the Haven Fundraiser.

GREAT to see you here!!!!

Matt
10-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi

The piece attached to the article has nothing to do with me. It's was drawn a little while back by Jae Lee and colored by June Chung, so it's OK to like it. :)

Cheers,

:lol:

Great response Richard, thanks for signing up to the board.

ola
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Now we need Robin Furth to join the forum! So I can whine directly at her...then get embarrassed...then go sulk in a corner.

turtlex
10-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Hi

Cheers,

Wow, this is quite the honor. Welcome to the site. I can't believe our luck, having a DT comic artist post. This is a thrill for me.

( yeah, regardless though, still not thrilled with that mutie ... don't care who drew it :D )

Now... let's get down to the details - we all want the scoop on the new Gunslinger title !!

Wow, y'all bashed him so much he decided to join just so he could defend himself.

Um, no one ever "bashed" him. Some of us just expressed our preference for the Jae Lee take on the DT comics. That's kind of like saying you like Picasso better than Rembrandt. It doesn't mean you don't appreciate and admire the Rembrandt, too.

CyberGhostface
10-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Now we need Robin Furth to join the forum! So I can whine directly at her...then get embarrassed...then go sulk in a corner.

Heh. I wouldn't know where to begin. :evil:

turtlex
10-15-2009, 07:30 AM
CG - I think it's safe to say, we'd all pull up a chair and watch that particular conversation!! :lol:

Wuducynn
10-15-2009, 08:52 AM

:rofl: That's awesome.

Wuducynn
10-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Um, no one ever "bashed" him. Some of us just expressed our preference for the Jae Lee take on the DT comics. That's kind of like saying you like Picasso better than Rembrandt. It doesn't mean you don't appreciate and admire the Rembrandt, too.

Exactly.

I do appreciate his hard work on the arc, I just do not like his style. Nothing personal. Thanks for joining DT.Com Richard, it's great having you.

Daghain
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM

THIS. I got used to Jae Lee doing the artwork - it wouldn't have mattered who took over for him, I probably would have been bummed out.

Welcome to the site, Richard. (backstreet boy - LOL).

turtlex
10-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey Good Citizens - Please join us all HERE (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9427) for a Q & A opportunity with Richard Isanove !!

Wuducynn
10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey Good Citizens - Please join us all HERE (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9427) for a Q & A opportunity with Richard Isanove !!

No.

Patrick
10-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Smiles and eyeballs. I like that we see them both in Isanove's work.

Ooooh, so this is where the "Backstreet Boys" reference came from in other threads. Ouch.

My guess is that King does care. I doubt that anything is about the money anymore at this point in his career. He simply doesn't need it.

Matt
10-19-2009, 04:09 AM
I agree with that completely, there is really no reason for King to base decisions on money anymore.

Brice
10-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Yeah, he can afford to literally burn more money than I make in a year EVERY day for the rest of his life. :lol:

:cry:

Anyhow, it's so very much not a factor for him.

Patrick
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I think King revels in the creativity of others, even when those others are playing with ideas/concepts/characters that were originally his. I believe he credits that to the fact that even his ideas often are inspired by someone else (the Browning poem that originally inspired the DT saga, for example).

Personally I give him a lot of respect for having such an open, giving attitude. So many more of us would be much more guarded about our creations.

turtlex
10-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Patrick - That's an excellent point.

I don't think I'd be as open if the DT characters and Universe was of my own making.

pathoftheturtle
10-20-2009, 06:35 AM
I think it's going to be a graphic novel of The Gunslinger. I got the SK Newsletter today and that's what it said. (And stupidly I didn't c&p it over here). :doh:
<_<
<-- was hoping for new story

That's cool too, though. For one thing, it should finally explain what it's all been about to those people who have all of the comics but cannot read. :P

CyberGhostface
10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
I wasn't completely serious with my "money" comment (obviously King is at a point where if money was all he cared about he could retire to the bahamas), but I still think that King could care less about the comics.

What's frustrating to me is that all of this stuff that the comics are covering are events that fans have been speculating on for years; Jericho Hill, the death of Roland's friends and family, etc. And when we finally get it, we get it from not King but an amateur writer whose career is pretty much dependent on playing in King's sandbox.

turtlex
10-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Furth may be "playing in King's sandbox" but she's got his approval to be hanging out there. And, frankly, I'm thinking she checks stuff out with him. She's not going to be creating backstories all willy-nilly and left field. Do you think Sai King would allow that?!?

Um, I really cannot consider her an "amateur" writer. You may not agree with her take on things, but she's a professional/published author.

We should probably head over to the Furth/David (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8729&page=2) thread though - if we're going to get into all that. :D

CyberGhostface
10-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Fair enough, I'll respond there.

Wuducynn
10-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I think King revels in the creativity of others, even when those others are playing with ideas/concepts/characters that were originally his. I believe he credits that to the fact that even his ideas often are inspired by someone else (the Browning poem that originally inspired the DT saga, for example).

Personally I give him a lot of respect for having such an open, giving attitude. So many more of us would be much more guarded about our creations.

I agree completely, Patrick. Look how he actually prefers the ending to the movie "The Mist" to his own.

CyberGhostface
10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
http://i.newsarama.com/marvelnew/jan2010/27_dark_tower__the_battle_of_jericho_hill_3.jpg

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
Art & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
Variant Cover by PATRICK ZIRCHER
Gilead is in ruins and Steven Deschain’s Affiliation has been drastically reduced in size, the result of the attack of the Good Man, John Farson. But young Roland and his ka-tet intend to strike a blow for the Affiliation by exploding an ancient oil field the Good Man is using to power his machines of destruction. Roland may never get the chance to strike back because in the midst of Gilead’s survivors there resides—a traitor!

Daghain
10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
LOVE the cover!

Wuducynn
10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I like that cover. I wonder why issue 1's cover has yet to be released? Is it normal for comics to do that?

Brainslinger
10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I just received Fall of Gilead 4 and 5 today. (Late I know.) I've just finished 4, I've yet to start 5. Just thought I'd express some thoughts while it's still quite fresh in my mind.

Oh, yeah, be warned, spoilers ahead. As there's no spoiler warning on this thread title I'll tag the heavier spoilers.

Cover- Great. Very atmospheric. And I like my covers that have something to say about the story inside.

Story- Overall I quite enjoyed it. I like how things are heating up. There were a couple of story points I wasn't too sure of though. For example, the gunslingers falling so quickly for Justus the traitor's plan. Who didn't see that a mile off?

I guess it could be argued that the gunslingers had to follow up any chance but you'd think they'd take better precautions. Like... taking more men with them maybe. Even an army mayhap. (Do they have other army folk outside of the gunslinger ranks? I've never been clear on that.) And why were these scouts who prize alertness surrounded so easily?

I like the enemy from within thread though. And the part where Roland recognizes the sound of the horn from miles away is eerie.

"Will you stop shooting my men!" made me smile though.

The bit with Aileen visiting Roland.... it was okay, but it struck me as a bit reminiscent of a Susan in the sombrero. Not necesarily a bad thing. One person's repeated gag is another's running joke.

Art: I overall liked it, but I've liked most of Isanove's work in the comic from the beginning. (I'm not just saying that because he visits the site now. Honest!) Only a couple of things: some of the folk tend to look a bit samey. That was true for Jae Lee's work too. In the scene where Justus was forced to do a teabag impersonation with extreme prejudice, I was confused for a bit who was doing the shooting. At least one of the gunmen looked a lot like my namesake Burning Chris. (Not the burning bit. Unless I've been sitting in my birthday suit in the sun to long.) Brainslinger isn't my real name by the way. ;)

Also, concerning the two page spread of the enemy camp. It looked lovely, but the text describes "a valley teeming with Farson's men at full strength... and with enough arnament culled from the Old People's weapons to take down a hundred gunslingers...". I would have liked to have seen a shot fitting the description, perhaps an aerial shot of the valley showing all these people and weapons. What we actually got was a closer in shot of a few men and a couple of muties and a tank.

I can't fault the picture itself though. It is beautiful, and I understand what I described might not have been possible due to time limits.

A good magazine overall, apart from how easily the gunslingers were surrounded. Again I suspect that's mainly due to time constraints in condensing the story into the 6 issues.

EDIT- I forgot the back bits! I rather liked Furth's essay concerning various Rolands this week. I miss the legend and history stuff though. And I really liked Lafuente's cover. I'm glad it wasn't chosen for the comic due to having little to do with these issues (I think covers should reflect the contents). Nice grey-scale work, although Aileen looks rather cross and squinty. And is that a robot on the ground?

Brainslinger
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Check out the shading in this issue... I'll be interested in your reaction. :

A lot of heavy shadow certainly, although I've seen that plenty of times before. I think it actually fits the tone of this issue though. The story is getting rather dark.

Brainslinger
10-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Cyber-Roland? (Oh wait, that's probably armour. ;) )

Daghain
10-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I know. My first thought was "Borg!" :lol:

ola
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I want to marry this cover. <3

turtlex
10-21-2009, 03:13 AM
I know. My first thought was "Borg!" :lol:

My first thought was ... did Roland join a football team?!?

CyberGhostface
10-21-2009, 06:56 AM
It's kind've weird that he's going at such lengths to protect his arm when his chest is outright exposed.

turtlex
10-21-2009, 07:01 AM
It's kind've weird that he's going at such lengths to protect his arm when his chest is outright exposed.

An excellent point...
... maybe ... Archery class?

Brainslinger
10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Ok, I've read issue 5 now. I was going to put my thoughts into the 5 thread. Ironically while there are several cover and interior art threads (editable but not postable, huh?) there doesn't appear to be a normal one. I thought of starting one myself... but I get the impression that might not be worth it.

So I'll express my thoughts here, but I'll keep spoilers to a minimum.

Pretty good overall. Really heats up! My only issue is that I think some things have perhaps happened a bit too soon. Maybe that's due to the comic condensing process though but it makes me wonder how much time the lads actually bought the when considering their actions in The Gunslinger Born/Wizard and Glass.

Quite exciting reading though. And Steven Deschain turns out to be a right hard nut doesn't he? Heh. Brilliant scene.

As for the art, it was pretty good as always, but I noticed some very strange things happening to Roland's face this issue. Did this issue need to be knocked out quickly, I wonder? And what's the point of Aileen's change of dress? I thought it was meant to be a disguise, but apparently not... unless Cuthbert just recognised her. Just her effort to fit in then?

I'm looking forward to the next issue... which come to think of it is out soon. (I was so late with the last two issues.)

Myste
10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I like that cover very much!

Blaine Is A Pain
10-22-2009, 05:06 AM
I am actually excited for this even if it's just a straight retelling of "The Gunslinger". I assume they will add something not from the novel itself. The sales must be doing well enough for them to add another 30?

Pretty good time to be a Dark Tower fan really:

Rumored 8th book
Interactive game thing on the SK website
All the newer comics
And a frickin movie series

I will take it!

turtlex
10-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Welcome to the site, BIAP.

Not sure if the plan is to add any content not covered in The Gunslinger novel, but you never know. Still early days.

Sincerely, though, I'm truly looking forward to another DT themed comic series.

Wuducynn
10-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I am actually excited for this even if it's just a straight retelling of "The Gunslinger". I assume they will add something not from the novel itself. The sales must be doing well enough for them to add another 30?

Pretty good time to be a Dark Tower fan really:

Rumored 8th book
Interactive game thing on the SK website
All the newer comics
And a frickin movie series

I will take it!

It's more than a rumor, it's real and I agree completely. I just wish we knew if this new series is supposed to cover the period where Roland left Jericho Hill up through The Gunslinger or whether it's just going to be a graphic novelization The Gunslinger.

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
That's what I want to know, too. It'd be great if they filled in some remaining gaps.
Come to think of it, tho, I'll be satisfied with a "Gunslinger's Guidebook" style issue or five. Maps of the West? :excited:
BIAP: It's always a good time. Since I was ten. :wub:
People who hated on SK during the big DT cliffhanger are just assholes. (I see your point, tho; this does rock! :D )

Here's another thought, since we're speculating on whether this will be "just like" the DT1 Revised novel --
Are we sure yet that the Jericho Hill arc will end without the horn?

ola
10-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Here's another thought, since we're speculating on whether this will be "just like" the DT1 Revised novel --
Are we sure yet that the Jericho Hill arc will end without the horn?

Oh crap, hadn't even thought of that. Revised-revised Gunslinger? :unsure:

RUBE
10-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Ok, I've read issue 5 now. I was going to put my thoughts into the 5 thread. Ironically while there are several cover and interior art threads (editable but not postable, huh?) there doesn't appear to be a normal one. I thought of starting one myself... but I get the impression that might not be worth it.

So I'll express my thoughts here, but I'll keep spoilers to a minimum.

Pretty good overall. Really heats up! My only issue is that I think some things have perhaps happened a bit too soon. Maybe that's due to the comic condensing process though but it makes me wonder how much time the lads actually bought the when considering their actions in The Gunslinger Born/Wizard and Glass.

I also feel that Robin Furth has condensed the timeline way too much. I know that she only has so many issues to write the fall but she could have included some element to indicate more time going by. As I remember, the fall of Gilead did not happen until two years after Roland and tet came back from Mejis but it seems like two months in the comics. I know this trend will continue because it sounds like Jericho Hill is going to happen immediately after these events but King wrote that Cuthbert died at 25, so that means Jericho Hill happens 10-11 years after Mejis. At least we get to see all of the events that are mentioned in the books even if they are happening way too fast.

turtlex
10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Brandon Peterson variant cover for issue # 1 - I love it.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/672/BJH1_brandon_peterson_v_small.jpg

And the Jae Lee sketch. Dead on awesome.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/672/medium/BJH1_jae_lee_sketch.jpg

Wuducynn
10-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Brandon Peterson variant cover for issue # 1 - I love it.

And the Jae Lee sketch. Dead on awesome.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/672/medium/BJH1_jae_lee_sketch.jpg

LOVE this! :harrier:

wizardsrainbow
10-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Welcome home Jae! With Jae and Richard in this, it will be memorable!

Brainslinger
10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
They're both good in different ways. The hat Roland is wearing reminds me of how I imagined his new hat from the later books. As opposed to the flat rimmed (or topped) one he had as a youngster, which we never see him wearing in the comics. The art is excellent... although I'm not over keen on it. Something about the pose and generic cowboy look maybe.

I agree that Jae Lee sketch looks great. Although I think Roland should look older at this stage in the story but that's a minor quibble.

jayson
10-24-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/672/BJH1_brandon_peterson_v_small.jpg

to me, this looks very computer generated and sterile.

there's just something inauthentic about it.

the lighting on the hands and the hat and the collar in particular just look so, well, fake.

and once more i ask, after king described the tower precisely in dt-7, why do we continue to see depictions of the tower as if it were sauron's barad-dur?

i know, i know, creative license, blah blah blah, but it just seems like every one wants to depict it as some stereotypical fantasy genre battle tower.

Brainslinger
10-24-2009, 06:14 PM
and once more i ask, after king described the tower precisely in dt-7, why do we continue to see depictions of the tower as if it were sauron's barad-dur?

That's a good point. I actually think I prefer the megalithic dark Tower despite that not being what Stephen King described. On saying that, I'm happy to go with Stephen King's description as it differs from what I imagined, and it's good to be surprised. It's not all it appears after all, being much bigger on the inside than the outside. (Apparently it's close to the description in the poem though.)

I don't mind the other kind for pictures though, as it is the imagined Tower, the one that springs to mind when it's nature is described. And since it's about the quest, not the ending (yeah I know that's become a cliché) it somehow fits better in representing that than the actual physical appearance.

jayson
10-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't mind the other kind for pictures though, as it is the imagined Tower, the one that springs to mind when it's nature is described. And since it's about the quest, not the ending (yeah I know that's become a cliché) it somehow fits better in representing that than the actual physical appearance.

that's a reasonable explanation for a tower that differs from king's description. :)

i still have a personal preference for a less tolkien-esque tower, but hey, at least you didn't say...

the tower is different on every loop

if someone did say that, i'd have to :shoot:

Brainslinger
10-25-2009, 09:18 AM
i still have a personal preference for a less tolkien-esque tower, but hey, at least you didn't say...

the tower is different on every loop

Heh. I'm not sure that would be the case anyway. In all the variability of the worlds (and indeed the variability of a specific world due to changes in the timeline, bearing in mind the past and future are all in motion too) it makes sense that the Tower would be the main constant by it's very nature.

Ok, it looks different in different worlds, but I am referring within this specific Tower keystone world of course.

jayson
10-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Heh. I'm not sure that would be the case anyway. In all the variability of the worlds (and indeed the variability of a specific world due to changes in the timeline, bearing in mind the past and future are all in motion too) it makes sense that the Tower would be the main constant by it's very nature.

Ok, it looks different in different worlds, but I am referring within this specific Tower keystone world of course.

oh i agree completely

i just like to make fun of the tendency (not on your part) to wish away anything remotely approaching inconsistency with a wave of one of these two magic wands:

1. it's because the beams are breaking

b. maybe it's a different loop

Glass
10-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Must. Own. That. Artwork! :evil:

Can't wait for this series to start!

Glass
10-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Dark Tower VII
The first thing I thought of when this new adaptation was announced was the fact that Roland could fix what he had erred in doing so long ago --

That would also give us a possible new ending to the series, ya know?

Shawn

Daghain
10-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I like them both. The first one because of its clean lines, and the second because, well, I pretty much like everything Jae Lee does. :D

turtlex
10-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Jae Lee sells his stuff via Albert Moy... and I'm guessing that one is going to be kinda pricey. :D

Glass
10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Yeah, Turtle, that one will be spendy, for sure. I wants it though! Such a great black and white image of Roland with guns drawn.

Dean
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
No Richard Isanove? :(

wha..wha.. WHAT!?!

Are you sure about that?

Glass
10-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Looks like Richard is on the book to me, based on this recent take from the Marvel website. I'm more curious if he and Jae are both penciling on this book? And if so, how much is going to be Jae and how much Richard... hmm.......

I don't like the look of this at all...

COVER BY: Jae Lee
WRITER: Peter David
Robin Furth
PENCILS: Richard Isanove
Jae Lee
LETTERED BY: VC - Chris Eliopoulos

THE STORY:
Beginning a bold new story arc featuring Roland Deschain and his beleaguered ka-tet on the run following the complete destruction of their beloved city of Gilead! And when such as Gilead falls, the pillars of reality itself—the six beams holding all of existence together—begins to crumble. The satanic plan of the Crimson King to return all of existence to the primal state of chaos is nigh. Plus, just in time for the fun, it’s the return of master storyteller Jae Lee to the role of penciler! Don’t miss it. Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99 ©2009 Stephen King. All rights reserved.

PRICE: 3.99
IN STORES: November 25, 2009

FORMAT: Comic

Glass
10-28-2009, 09:00 AM
I want a Jae Lee horn on the cover at some point!

Wuducynn
10-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm still wondering why the cover for the first issue hasn't been released while others of later issues have?

Míchéal
10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
ooooh, I like your thinking :thumbsup:

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 05:19 AM
So a year or two ago (not very good with time) I got a slipcase for the gunslinger born comics here from Matt, just wondering if the slipcases are available to buy for the other arcs? And if so where?

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Ok sorry, looks like I didn't need to start this thread, found them on amazon, prices are a bit ridiculous though, I mean wtf???

Amazon.com: Dark Tower Treachery Comic Slipcase (holds 5 issues) (9781892950185): Stephen King, OverlookConnection.com: Books

Amazon.com: The Dark Tower The Long Road Home Comic Slipcase 1-5 Limited Edition (9781892950956): Stephen King: Books

turtlex
10-29-2009, 06:11 AM
If you subscribe to the Overlook Connection newsletter - they sometimes do percentage off promotions. That's actually your best bet.

The Overlook slipcases are the only one's I've seen. They're nice, but like you said - they're pricey.

( FYI : This thread will likely get merged into the general questions thread soon )

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Cool, thank you :thumbsup:

turtlex
10-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh, and Overlook sometimes does a WISH LIST promotion, where you get money off items that are on your WISH LIST there... so I usually put some stuff on my wish list, just in case.

Good luck.

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah i've joined up and my wish list is done, they're selling long road home slipcases for alomost half price due to a 'small dent' so maybe i'll go for that.

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 06:30 AM
One more question, whats the service like for international orders with Overlook?

lophophoras
10-29-2009, 06:59 AM
One more question, whats the service like for international orders with Overlook?

Domestically they are kinda slow, so I can't imagine what it would be like for international buyers.

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 08:28 AM
I see, ah well i've no choice, i'll give it a go.

turtlex
10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I find Overlook slow for pre-orders and what not, but if it's in stock - they're pretty good.

Míchéal - Can I ask why you're looking for slipcases? ( I assume the slipcases fit bagged/boarded comics? )

lophophoras
10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I find Overlook slow for pre-orders and what not, but if it's in stock - they're pretty good.

Míchéal - Can I ask why you're looking for slipcases? ( I assume the slipcases fit bagged/boarded comics? )

Good point.

I should have mentioned that I was referring to preorders.

Daghain
10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
PAINFULLY slow for preorders. I'm STILL waiting for a Stand slipcases that was supposed to ship months ago. I know it will show up eventually but damn!

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I think the gunslinger born one looks pretty (:lol:) on the bookcase, so I want a nice little theme going on.

Visiting Friend: What are they? They look cool.
Me: (evil grin) Well the dark tower is......

turtlex
10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey Dagg...Doctor House - do the slipcases fit the comics in the bags/boards?!?

lophophoras
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm not Daggs but to answer your question Pam, yes they do.

:)

Daghain
10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm Dags. :lol:

And I didn't know, so I'm glad lophophoras did. :D

I just pop mine in there to store them. (Yeah, I know, I know.)

Brice
10-31-2009, 03:28 AM

oh i agree completely

i just like to make fun of the tendency (not on your part) to wish away anything remotely approaching inconsistency with a wave of one of these two magic wands:

1. it's because the beams are breaking

b. maybe it's a different loop

I'd say it's probably because

The Beams are breaking

...and..
maybe it's a different loop

...and then....

maybe it's just ka. :ninja:

Glass
10-31-2009, 07:37 AM
I like my thinking too! :)

RUBE
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm still wondering why the cover for the first issue hasn't been released while others of later issues have?

Maybe the cover has a spoiler on it

turtlex
11-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Rube - Yup. Could be a spoiler. Or, you know, Marvel could once again just not be on the ball. :rolleyes: They never seem to get things released properly and their website sucks, in general. Yeah. Sorry, folks, you've heard this from me before.

On the other hand... I love this close-up of the Peterson variant.

http://marvel.com/i/content/st/10070header_banner6670342.jpg

Wuducynn
11-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Rube - Yup. Could be a spoiler. Or, you know, Marvel could once again just not be on the ball.

*shocked gasp* NEVER

Brainslinger
11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Hmm. Some interesting art there.

I've been looking for a cover thread for episode 6 to post a couple of covers I've seen.
Rather than create a new one, I've decided to post them here as there isn't a whole lot in this thread. Hope that's ok (Turtlex, feel free to move them if you like.)

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/1/4/5/9/6/webimg/311037741_o.jpg?nc=552

Nice atmospheric image. This is the most common picture I've seen.

http://www.thesecretheadquarters.co.uk/ebay/261109/darktowerfallofgilead6.jpg

This is interesting though. Has a kind of Lord of the Rings vibe to me. I assume the statue is of Arthur Eld. The first and last of the Kings of Eld. Sort of. Is it me, or does the statues face look kind of feline though? Lion-o. I'm sure that's not intentional though.

Brainslinger
11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
http://marvel.com/i/content/54949new_storyimage-28658994%7C526.69220945083x800.jpg

Here's a picture of the main cover from Liljas's site.

Brainslinger
11-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I just found this on Liljas's site (http://www.liljas-library.com/).

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/jerichohill4.jpg

Roland looks a bit older in that shot doesn't he, although I'd imagine that's mainly the shadow. And Cuthbert an undertaker look. Great image.

cuthbert1248
11-28-2009, 07:11 PM
What a great pic! Roland looks amazing! Do you have any more?

Brainslinger
11-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Here it is. (http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.10440.Dark_Tower~colon~_War_Games)

Credit to Lilja as I found the link on his site (http://www.liljas-library.com/).

Wuducynn
11-28-2009, 07:38 PM
:cool:

Brainslinger
11-28-2009, 07:38 PM
What a great pic! Roland looks amazing! Do you have any more?

There is a link on a discussion on this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9737).

There are a few more pictures there. They're mainly pages from issue 1.

Brainslinger
11-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh, yeah, I just found a link to a discussion with Robin Furth on the Marvel site. I've created a thread here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9737) to discuss it since it's not issue specific.

I also found a series of other pictures there for issue 1, so here they are:

http://marvel.com/i/content/10440new_storyimage-39086151%7C526.66227781435x800.jpg

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/resized/8a1a43ec1e50bc9603fb80860e502a8b.jpg

http://marvel.com/i/content/10440new_storyimage-59086155%7C526.66227781435x800.jpg

http://marvel.com/i/content/10440new_storyimage-49086153%7C526.66227781435x800.jpg

Most of the pictures on the site (http://marvel.com/images/611313./from/content.story.10440) are zoomable! (I just realised but I can't be bothered going through and replacing the urls.)

ola
11-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow, these covers are all so good! Thanks for posting.

turtlex
11-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Whoowhoo!

Thankee!

pathoftheturtle
11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Aye! Nice link, many thanks. Interesting. :)

This thread is oddly titled though, isn't it? "Fall of Jericho"... ?

Brainslinger
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Aye! Nice link, many thanks. Interesting. :)

This thread is oddly titled though, isn't it? "Fall of Jericho"... ?

Oops. I think my mind did a bit of unconscious cross-referencing there. The Fall of Gilead and The Battle of Jericho Hill. And of course the Biblical city of Jericho did fall...

Brainslinger
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Okay, the issue came today. I liked it quite a lot.

I find myself thinking about a comment Roland made in the novels though, "We won all the battles but lost the war." We know that Gilead was left a wreck, but... does this comic contradict this? Maybe the fact that it's the beginning of the end should be taken into account though.

A decent action filled chapter though with good art. I liked the design of General Grissom! Kind of a samurai crossed with Cernunnos thing going on there.

turtlex
12-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Moved these posts over to this discussion thread, rather than leave them in the Comic Catalog... more folks are likely to see them here.

Now, with regards to the new issue....

I think this is my favorite Isanove cover.

turtlex
12-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Just a quick FYI : I'll be updating the King Comics Catalog soon... it's currently in "thread" format due to an anticipated board upgrade, but I'll be updating the entries there eventually.

In the meantime, big shout of thanks for Brainslinger... for grabbing these and posting.

mikeC
12-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I thought there would be more excitement about this arc.
I thought the Fall of Gilead was great, much better than the previous arcs.

MonteGss
12-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Finished this last night.

1. I am so glad Jae is back. I didn't like the switch over to Isanove. If the series had started with him, I may feel differently but since Jae Lee started it, his Roland (and other characters) is the only one I want to see.

2. I hope this arc is better than Fall of Gilead. I disagree with some others, I didn't think it was that good. Honestly, considering the story we're about to explore, I sure expect it to be good. Unless Furth adds some more her nonsense to it.

Wuducynn
12-04-2009, 04:28 PM
*agrees with the sack of monkey shit*

MonteGss
12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
:cool:

RUBE
12-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Why was this issue delayed so damn long? It was suppose to come out in mid-November and my comic dealer still does not have it.

RUBE
12-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Finished this last night.

1. I am so glad Jae is back. I didn't like the switch over to Isanove. If the series had started with him, I may feel differently but since Jae Lee started it, his Roland (and other characters) is the only one I want to see.

2. I hope this arc is better than Fall of Gilead. I disagree with some others, I didn't think it was that good. Honestly, considering the story we're about to explore, I sure expect it to be good. Unless Furth adds some more her nonsense to it.

How did you get this already? It is not listed to come out until Wednesday and my comic dealer hasn't even received the last of The Fall of Gilead.

MonteGss
12-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't know what to tell you sir. It's out, I bought it at my comic shop along with the last Gilead. Sorry! :)

turtlex
12-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Yup, released this week.

Don't have mine yet ( bugger !! ) but will get it this weekend, hopefully.

turtlex
12-05-2009, 08:36 AM
RUBE - you need to check with your shop. I got it last week - no problems.

Brainslinger
12-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Yup, released this week.

I didn't know that! I only got the last of Fall of Gilead last week!

As for Mr Insanove's art, I thought he did very well in Fall of Gilead #6. (Not that he didn't in others too, that's just the one most fresh in my mind.) It will be nice to see Jae Lee's pencil-work again though. (Bear in mind both artists are always involved. Those vibrant inks and colours are Isanove's!)

RUBE
12-06-2009, 03:42 PM
RUBE - you need to check with your shop. I got it last week - no problems.

I am not sure what is going on. The lady there keeps feeding me some crap. It is really pissing me off.

turtlex
12-07-2009, 01:31 AM
RUBE - I am 100% on finding a local comic shop and supporting them... however, they should be giving you the best customer service possible, to keep that support ( and your dollars ).

If this kind of thing is happening a lot - you should probably look around for another shop. Sounds like they might be having issues with their distribution account or something - which basically means they won't be around much longer anyways.

Good luck !

flaggwalkstheline
12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
IMO
DTcomics=
YouTube- Very Funny Fail Pictures

JameseyLefebure
12-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey everyone;

I've just joined today and I've been a huge fan of Stephen King since I was around 13 years old (when i first read the gunslinger) and absolutely love the Dark Tower series - the thing is I've never read any of his comics and i'm really curious as to where to start?

My hubby said that he'd get some of the comic's for Xmas but I have no idea which one to ask for first - any suggestions for a newbie?

Cheers

Jamesey
xxx

John_and_Yoko
12-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey everyone;

I've just joined today and I've been a huge fan of Stephen King since I was around 13 years old (when i first read the gunslinger) and absolutely love the Dark Tower series - the thing is I've never read any of his comics and i'm really curious as to where to start?

My hubby said that he'd get some of the comic's for Xmas but I have no idea which one to ask for first - any suggestions for a newbie?

Cheers

Jamesey
xxx

I suppose starting at the beginning would be best--that is, with The Gunslinger Born. That more or less is a pictorial interpretation of the flashbacks in the written series, especially in Volume IV, Wizard and Glass. And then they go in order from there.

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree totally. They should be read in order from the beginning.

JameseyLefebure
12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Cheers guys -

I wasn't sure which was the first in series or if they were just stand alone verions of the series of books - I'll be asking the hubby forThe Gunslinger born for christmas i think :) is there many more after that in case he's in a generous mood :)

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
There are three or four ARCs of comics. Or there are the hardcovers which collect all the individual comics from each arc. The collections do not have all the background stuff though.

John_and_Yoko
12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Cheers guys -

I wasn't sure which was the first in series or if they were just stand alone verions of the series of books - I'll be asking the hubby forThe Gunslinger born for christmas i think :) is there many more after that in case he's in a generous mood :)

There's The Long Road Home, Treachery, and apparently The Fall of Gilead is out now (don't have that one myself).

fernandito
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
If you can find them, try collecting the individual issues - each features a section in the back containing background stories which the HC collections do not have.

turtlex
12-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Welcome to the site, Jamesey.

I see the good citizens of the Comic Tower have given you some great advice here.

You might also want to check out the DT comic checklist HERE (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6563). You can download the pdf and print it out. It shows all the arcs, and the hardcover books ( which gather the storylines of the individual issues in a single hardcover collection ).

Note, though, that Feev has pointed out a very important consideration - the individual comic issues contain information that the collected hardcovers do not. In most cases there are essays and preview artwork, sometimes maps and interviews.

You should also check out the King Comics Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=176) which shows the different issues, examples of the covers, and lists comics contents.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, since we're just starting the fifth arc of the DT comics, and the third of the Stand Comics ... and now Talisman. There's a lot to take in.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I've read it on the way home and I agree with MonteGss : Jae Lee makes it so much better, mainly because i got used to his style over the first series and now it feels right again!

DoctorDodge
12-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I read it on saturday, and while it was ok, there was one tiny thing that kinda bugged me...

Mainly that it's nine years later, yet the kids still look like kids. No, scratch that, even worse is that they look exactly the same. What, none of them have gotten messed up in the slightest? No torn clothes? No messed up hairstyles? OK, it's a petty thing to be annoyed about, but considering they would've found it a little bit difficult to find a barber with Gilead gone, i would've expected Roland's hair to be a little bit longer!

Don't get me wrong, Jae Lee's a fantastic artist, but still...why no change whatsoever?

RUBE
12-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I got it and the first Battle of Jericho Hill this week. She was holding them for me despite me not asking her to do so. I guess based on that I will continue to buy from her but she does need to look into why they were a week behind schedule.

ola
12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I read it on saturday, and while it was ok, there was one tiny thing that kinda bugged me...

Mainly that it's nine years later, yet the kids still look like kids. No, scratch that, even worse is that they look exactly the same. What, none of them have gotten messed up in the slightest? No torn clothes? No messed up hairstyles? OK, it's a petty thing to be annoyed about, but considering they would've found it a little bit difficult to find a barber with Gilead gone, i would've expected Roland's hair to be a little bit longer!

Don't get me wrong, Jae Lee's a fantastic artist, but still...why no change whatsoever?

This is something I get bugged about in general...like in movies where the environment (or time passing) should mean that everyone is nasty and bedraggled, but they're magically well-groomed. This comic is pretty stylized though, so I don't think I expect that sort of realism in this format.

pathoftheturtle
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Forget about how they look, what about how they smell? That is, the narrator states that their nostrils are clogged with the stench of the sewers they escaped through... nine years before ... :beat: Then they start talking and the first thing that Roland says is "What have we escaped to?" Then he goes on to ask "Where can we go now?" Nine years, and they haven't talked about that at all yet? What have they been doing in the meantime? There's not a single hint; for all intents and purposes, they seem to have just been standing perfectly still since the last issue. :wtf: I know that there was a kinda similar effect at the very beginning of Wolves of the Calla, DT5, but this is ridiculous! (And to think that some folken think that Furth is better with continuity than King is. :P )

ola
12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
My local shop was also terrible when it came to ordering comics. They always lost or even forgot to order one issue, my Fall of Gilead #6 mysteriously disappeared too just the other week, and I have yet to receive a replacement...I really wanted to support them, but I think they're more into Warhammer and M:tG then selling comics. :/

Brice
12-11-2009, 04:35 AM
They don't deserve your support if they give bad service.

turtlex
12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
For sure they don't.

Honestly, since I have such a stinky local shop - I get my "necessary" comics from an online subscription service ( mycomicshop.com ).

Oh, now back on topic !! :P

12-11-2009, 04:27 PM

I felt the same until the end of the comics where there's a double-page illustration and you see Roland in front of all the others and I found he looked a lot more like a man than like a teen. At that point, I didn't know it was 9 years later.

RUBE
12-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Everyone, I think the confusion here is that they show Gilead nine years later BUT THEN they go back to immediately after the fall of Gilead. They look the same and smell the same because it has only been hours not years. That is why Marten is still standing where he was when he switched out the Crimson King's flag for Gilead's. That is why there are still plenty of Farson's men there to get crushed to death as Gilead falls in the Beamquake. Notice how different Gilead looks when it says nine years later than when it shows Marten there. I think we will see a flash-back ahead nine years in the next comic with an explanation that they traveled four and a half years the wrong way and then turned around and made their way back. Then they will look older. At least that is the way I interpret it.

RUBE
12-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I am a little disappointed in this issue. I guess I just wanted more out of their last stand. However, I am encouraged by the next arc's first issue. I think we will get to see a little more of the main character's skills rather than a bunch of traps.

Brainslinger
12-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I never thought I'd hear Benny Hill music on an American forum!

turtlex
12-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Well, we don't normally encourage that kind of thing ... but we do favor free speech here at TDT !!

Wuducynn
12-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Well, picked it up today and was thoroughly impressed. Very well done, and bodes well for the arc. Gotta say, I didn't really need Robin "getting me up to speed" ramble at the end. I didn't really see the point in it. I would have loved some more mythology of All-World instead.

turtlex
12-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Robin is all about the essays !!! :lol:

Brainslinger
12-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I would have loved some more mythology of All-World instead.

I don't mind the essays but I'd like to see more mythology stuff too. It's been quite a while since we've see that.

EDIT- Ok, I got this issue yesterday and read it last night. I wasn't overly impressed to be honest, mainly because little happens and it seemed a bit exposition heavy. Rolands speechifying during the quake seemed out of character too, but then it seems a style for inner character thoughts to be spoken out loud.

The stuff concerning the Beam was interesting though although I thought a beam-quake happened when the beam actually broke. Then again if a Beam breaks completely, from what we learned in Song of Susannah, the chasm would have been much larger and there wouldn't even be any Gilead ruins (or them for that matter). The book does say a Beam broke back then, but maybe it happened in increments, if that makes sense.

Something about the story felt disjointed about the plot though, and Walter blasting Sheemie into providing a bit of info... why? I guess it's an example of something good coming out of something bad, the Tower/ka bending negative stuff to provide information. I'm also not sure that Walter can actually shape-shift into a raven either, although Flagg does appear to do that in The Stand. I always figured that was more an illusion than a literal transformation though, but to be fair that's my own interpretation.

Anyway, overall, not great for me but not that bad either. Early days yet. I look forward to catching up with them in the present day (in the comics storyline I mean).

BillyxRansom
12-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I have a problem with #6. They paint (not literally) Roland to be a wuss! When Bert beats on Roland, Roland does not even so much as warn Cuthbert to watch himself, which I distinctly remember happening in W&G.

JameseyLefebure
12-14-2009, 06:16 AM
I never actually realised how big scale the comics would be!! I just thought it was one or two little comics about the Dark Tower...WOW I was wrong!! lol.
I tried to order the comic's individually, but the hubby had already ordered me the first one as a collection (bless him) so he's said that for my birthday he'll get the rest if I haven't gotten round to it by then :)
I'm excited by the idea of a Talisman comic and The Stand :) I think I might just have to start dropping subtle hints now ;)

James
xxxx

turtlex
12-14-2009, 06:20 AM
For sure it's always easiest to get issues when they come out ( monthly ). Right now, the current King comics are : Talisman, Battle/Jericho, and The Stand. All three are monthly at this time. Plus American Vampire starts in the new year.

If you can find a good local comic book shop - they very well might have back issues that you can purchase. I know some of our UK members have said they have trouble finding some comics in their local shops, so the key is to ask, ask and ask. Some shops will also order them special for you, so that's always an option for you and your hubby!!

:couple:

12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
There are three or four ARCs of comics. Or there are the hardcovers which collect all the individual comics from each arc. The collections do not have all the background stuff though.

The French ones do, Brice :evil:

turtlex
12-14-2009, 01:05 PM

The French ones do, Brice :evil:

Actually, I don't think they have all the additional information. I have the French hardcovers ( thank you amazon.fr ) and I'm pretty sure they're missing a couple of things.

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
If you can find them, try collecting the individual issues - each features a section in the back containing background stories which the HC collections do not have.If you decide that you want to do this, don't be too worried about picking up the newer arcs right away. They do NOT have that kind of material. I'm still buying the issues one by one, myself, but someone who has lots of story to catch up on in the meantime, anyway, might as well wait for the hardcovers of the last couple, I'd venture to say.

BillyxRansom
12-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Please explain. I just got The Long Road Home, is there substantial information cut out from the hardcover?

turtlex
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Not sure what you'd consider substantial.

If you check out the King Comic Catalog Starting Here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=176&order=asc&page=7) you can page through each description of the LRH comics and see what each contained.

Then compare it to what you have in your HC edition. There are some differences.

JameseyLefebure
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm just going to go out there and say -

You Guys Rock!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

thanks so much for all this info! Im really looking forward to starting these now!!

Jamesey
xxxxxx

pathoftheturtle
12-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Cool. I noticed you've said elsewhere, Jamesey, that Wizard and Glass is not the part of the series that is most fun for you to read. The first arc of the comics, The Gunslinger Born retells the same story in a different way. I think you might enjoy it more. :)

John_and_Yoko
12-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Cool. I noticed you've said elsewhere, Jamesey, that Wizard and Glass is not the part of the series that is most fun for you to read. The first arc of the comics, The Gunslinger Born retells the same story in a different way. I think you might enjoy it more. :)

Well, it tells the extended flashback story--the "present day" story isn't in there.

Talk about confusing.... :unsure:

JameseyLefebure
12-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Well I've actually just finished the flashback part of W&G on the bus to work this morning - and I don't actually mind the end of the story that much. I just know that I prefer the rest of the series but I think I'll still really enjoy Gunslinger Born and it'll serve as a good introduction to the comic's for me :) Thanks to Turtlex i now have a HUGE list of comic's that i'm inevitably going to get hooked on ;)

jamesey
xxxx

Delacroix
12-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Hello everyone!

I finished Wizard and Glass and I'm currently half way through Wolves of the Calla. I was wondering I there were spoilers for me in comic, like some kind of end of serie spoiler, because I've opened one and saw weird things...

Are thos "things" spoilers for what comes next or details added to Wizrad's and Glass' story?

turtlex
12-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey, welcome to the DT Comic Tower !!!!

Now, let's see... you're in a weird place for the comics and the books, where things intersect, and start to feed back and forth.

If I were you, I'd hold off on anything after Gunslinger Born ... at least for a bit.

( PS - I'll probably merge this into the general questions thread after a bit ).

Wuducynn
12-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Read the books and then read the comics. Safest and smartest. The comics are chock full of spoilers.

Delacroix
12-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Okay, thank you!

Letti
12-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Yes, on the one hand there are the spoilers and on the other hand there are many things that are totally different from the saga in the comics. So it can be really confusing (and sometimes disturbing) I think if you haven't finished the series yet. You may meet some things you like and you want to see in the books and you won't or the opposite.

Patrick
12-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Read the books and then read the comics. Safest and smartest. The comics are chock full of spoilers.
I absolutely agree with this advice.

CyberGhostface
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I would have imagined that Rhea's fate would have been shown in Fall of Gilead. Is she going to pop up in the Battle of Jericho Hill? I would have figured she died earlier than that.

I'm not reading the series anymore, but it would be kind've annoying if they dragged it on to the next "Gunslinger" series or if they just omitted it entirely. Of course, by removing Rhea's role from Gabrielle's death and making Marten's jealous incestuous sister responsible (seriously, Furth, WTF :scared:) perhaps they feel she's no longer a serious issue.

Ruthful
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
At the risk of exposing my ignorance, how many arcs are left in the series?

I thought that the Battle of Jericho Hill was the final sequence-its title would suggest so-but apparently not. Is the subsequent series the final one?

CyberGhostface
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/gunslinger_gn/

They're apparently making several more miniseries. Seems they're going to be milking it for every last drop. I wonder how the sales are going to be with Jae Lee no longer on board.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I hope we see Rhea again in the Wind Through the Keyhole.

Tatts4Life
01-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I've been waiting for this story since the start of the comics series. I all ways wanted to know what happened with Roland after the story in Wizard and Glass up to The Gunslinger. I haven't read this whole thread yet to see what other people think. But I think that this won't be a revised-revised version of The Gunslinger Book.

Brainslinger
01-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Ok, spoilers for comic Tbe Dark Tower: The Sorceror and Wizard and Glass. (I won't tag em, as this whole thread title suggest discussion of this and I'd end up spoilerifying (yes I made up a word there,) most of the post.

I would have imagined that Rhea's fate would have been shown in Fall of Gilead. Is she going to pop up in the Battle of Jericho Hill? I would have figured she died earlier than that.

I know what you mean. I really hope she'll turn up in the next arc. I know Robin Furth has made mention of that belt in the past, so I hope that part of the story is dealt with.

I'm not reading the series anymore, but it would be kind've annoying if they dragged it on to the next "Gunslinger" series or if they just omitted it entirely. Of course, by removing Rhea's role from Gabrielle's death and making Marten's jealous incestuous sister responsible (seriously, Furth, WTF :scared:) perhaps they feel she's no longer a serious issue.

I did like The Sorceror, but I wasn't keen on that change either. I don't see it as necessarily being a complete contradiction though, i.e. the Djinn character might have manipulated the grapefruit into showing Rhea, but that doesn't mean it wasn't actually Rhea at the other end, if that makes sense. I'm aware that's probably just my own reasoning though, but that's how I marry the comic version to the book's. It is stated in the novels that the grapefruit always shows you the truth. The only way it can lie is through misdirection and reflection. That was made clearer in the book where Rhea's image was actually cast onto the mirror from the grapefruit. I.e it's really Rhea he's seeing, she just isn't actually behind him.

I wish Furth had made Rhea's role more implicit though, or that she does when/if Rhea returns later.

Brainslinger
01-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I think that this won't be a revised-revised version of The Gunslinger Book.

I hope it isn't just a retelling, but I think it's misnamed if that's the case.

Well, ok, I don't really mind either way. I just won't buy it if it's a retelling. I know many people are into comics for the art, and that's fair enough. Personally I'm more interested in new material though, told with good art of course!

DoctorDodge
01-02-2010, 05:24 AM
I think that this won't be a revised-revised version of The Gunslinger Book.

I hope it isn't just a retelling, but I think it's misnamed if that's the case.

Well, ok, I don't really mind either way. I just won't buy it if it's a retelling. I know many people are into comics for the art, and that's fair enough. Personally I'm more interested in new material though, told with good art of course!

Exactly why I didn't buy all the Stand comics. After a couple of issues of reading my favourite story page for page (but this time in FULL COLOUR!!!!), I thought, "What's the point?" I might get the trade paperback if it's ever released, but that's about it.

If the Gunslinger though has even a few new pages of brand new story, like The Gunslinger Born, then I'll definitely get every issue I can, even if it is 90% adaptation and 10% new material.

CyberGhostface
01-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Maybe they could have had the succubus/djinn/whatever "team up" with Rhea to kill Gabrielle--I.E. both had their own reasons for wanting her dead, and they both saw their combined resources as a way of getting it done. That wouldn't have contradicted what King wrote but rather expanded upon it.

Brainslinger
01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking really. Especially considering Rhea's movement mirroring Gabrielle's, etc.

I wonder why Furth took that route? Just wanting to make her own stamp on the tale? The idea of the succubus in herself was quite interesting and believable considering the nature of the rainbow as living objects in their own right, but I think I prefer it just as the mysterious mystical object. Mind you the Djinn beats the tentacled eye ball from Long Road Home. I didn't buy that at all.

Ruthful
01-02-2010, 10:13 PM

They're apparently making several more miniseries. Seems they're going to be milking it for every last drop. I wonder how the sales are going to be with Jae Lee no longer on board.

FFS!

I've just about given up on the comics. I tried searching for the first issue of the current arc in two different comic book stores and came up empty. I've accepted the fact that I'll never be a comic person, and this whole experience just reinforced my pre-existing feelings.

herbertwest
01-03-2010, 05:50 AM

Jae Lee wont illustrate on the GUNSLINGER serie and further ones, right?
Who will?

pathoftheturtle
01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Maybe they could have had the succubus/djinn/whatever "team up" with Rhea to kill Gabrielle--I.E. both had their own reasons for wanting her dead, and they both saw their combined resources as a way of getting it done. That wouldn't have contradicted what King wrote but rather expanded upon it.I think it's a pretty uneven relationship, actually. If the grapefruit called Rhea and wanted just about anything, I can hardly imagine her refusing. I'm not a great fan of Furth's interpretation, either, but come to think of it, that much doesn't really contradict King, does it?

Wuducynn
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Mind you the Djinn beats the tentacled eye ball from Long Road Home. I didn't buy that at all.

Same here.

CyberGhostface
01-05-2010, 07:57 PM
'm not a great fan of Furth's interpretation, either, but come to think of it, that much doesn't really contradict King, does it?

At the very least, it contradict's King's original intent--that Rhea manipulated Roland into killing his mother in revenge for him killing her snake. By saying "Roland only thought it was Rhea", that takes away from what King originally written.

Jae Lee wont illustrate on the GUNSLINGER serie and further ones, right?
Who will?

Richard Isanove, who did the Sorcerer one-shot and The Fall of Gilead.

I've just about given up on the comics. I tried searching for the first issue of the current arc in two different comic book stores and came up empty. I've accepted the fact that I'll never be a comic person, and this whole experience just reinforced my pre-existing feelings.

Could you ask your store's owner if he could subscribe for you? My owner always has my issues taken aside for me, so even if it sells out I'll always have a copy.

Ruthful
01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
It's too much of a hassle, and not worth the trouble. If I was anywhere close to being as interested in this comic adaptation as the actual novels I might consider it, but I'm not so I won't. The way I look at it, I already wasted way too much time on these comics. I'm glad I read The Gunslinger Born, but overall I'd describe my experience as disappointing, at best.

steelio2006
01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
i'd be upfor buying the new series. i read the original book and though it was awesome. but was saddened that it was never made into a miniseries yet. cause the gunslinger is very cinematic. so this may be the next thing closest to seeing my favorite entry visualized.

turtlex
01-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Amazon is currently showing this as the cover :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gv7gUYh8L._SS500_.jpg

And the release date is now indicating Feb 2nd, 2010 ( originally said March 9th ).

Daghain
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Got it on preorder!