PDA

View Full Version : "Donate a riddle please"

Jon
02-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Please consider this post.

As some of you may know, I am a counselor for juvenile delinquents ranging ages from 13 to 20 years of age. (Yes 20 years of age…Indiana has some funny laws) I work midnights in order counsel those who have foolishly dropped out of school or have a GED and have taken a job that requires them to work into the small hours of the morn or to awaken in these small hours and go to work. These young folks need counsel as much as those going to school and sleep “normal” hours.

I wish to begin a program to elicit team work and/or “thinking outside of the box.”

This is where you come in, fellow riddles and poets.

I wish to present these young folks with riddles and/or poem challenges (the poem challenges I envision to be much like the François Villon Contest as well as the three word contest and the poem subject contest) I intend to give certain rewards to the more difficult challenges.

What I would like from you, my beloved friends, are riddles you are willing to “donate” as well as poem subjects, words and opening lines. I assure you, I intent to steal and copy write none of these ideas. I just have several young folks interested in writing poetry and hope to lead them into working as a group (many do not get along) on some of the more difficult riddles.

***Note; none of these young folks are mentally challenged but many suffer from ADHD and ADD. In addition, those of totally sound mind have yet to be pushed by parents and teachers, many have attended school little, please keep this in mind.
I point this out to you so that you understand that a riddle on the subject of…say… the Children’s crusades of 1212 A.D. may be a bit “over their heads” by the same token a mother goose riddle would be a bit too childish. As to appropriateness, I reckon I can be the judge of that and not expose them to a poem or riddle that the facility may deem appropriate. Please do not worry about being appropriate, I will be your filter on this issue as well as the mental acumen issue. If one you ( my friends), write a poem of romance and one of the young folks feels inspired to write a poem that is not appropriate…That is his or her fault. I will deal with her/or him in kind. This will not come back to haunt my fellow writers and riddles…after all…I am the filter. If a “Three word” poem game is submitted and contains the word “stick” and a young one makes something inappropriate of it…I will deal with the young person rather than you, my writing and riddling friends.

After all this…It would likely be best for Admin. here if you all PM you submissions to me rather than start a new thread. Admin. may consider closing this thread if they wish, and let PMs be the vehicle. You may even consider am already written riddle or riddle game to “donate.”
:clap:

ZoNeSeeK
02-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Jon, by all means keep this thread open and use it for people to submit or suggest riddles / poetry. I'd also suggest you contact Jean (manager of Keystone Rose) due to the Poetry Circle section he has going on as there could be people willing to help out with the writing poetry side of things.

I can e-mail you a large chunk of my riddles archives if you like, with answers and working out, and you can determine if any are suitable for you to use.

Whats your email?

Jon
02-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Thank you Zone...

Jonbug@gmail.com

if you recycle any of the ones you have sent to me and post them here...warn me. I don't even want the appearance of impropriety.

Thank you.

19thNrvsbrkdwn
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
This is a wonderful idea Jon! I'm no poet and a poor riddle composer, but if I see any elsewhere I'll surely send them to you!

ZoNeSeeK
02-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok I've emailed 5 through to you that hopefully will be usable (the more traditional riddle types, not the cryptic poem types).

Jon
02-13-2008, 06:52 AM
I got them Zone...thank you!

And 19thNrvsbrkdw (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/member.php?u=250)

You might consider historical or sports trivia.