PDA

View Full Version : June Nocturnal Reader's Box

jsteltor
04-30-2017, 09:07 PM
You can now subscribe to get the June version of the Nocturnal Reader's Box which will contain Gwendy's Button Box. I reserved my copy.

becca69
04-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Got it! Going to try for 3 months and see how it is.

jsteltor
04-30-2017, 09:11 PM
i signed up for the month-to-month.

wolfehr
05-01-2017, 02:46 AM
I signed up for the month to month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelinJack
05-01-2017, 03:23 AM
Going to give it a shot as well. Month to month.

webstar1000
05-01-2017, 03:25 AM
PASS.

Cwalker
05-01-2017, 04:00 AM
Went with the month to month with the bonus addes feature of not realizing it was 12:01 CENTRAL time and I' m in Eastern. Oh well, whats one more hour in the life of a King fan. Admit it, most of us have done weirder shit in the pursuit of our habits. Er, I mean hobbies.

dnemec
05-01-2017, 04:29 AM
I don't know which subscriptions it works for, but I did a month-to-month and used code IMPRESSION15 for 15% off. Always look for the coupon! :)

Ben Staad
05-01-2017, 04:46 AM
Looks pretty cool. I'm passing on this but only because I'm not spending right now.

Tommy
05-01-2017, 04:49 AM
I don't know which subscriptions it works for, but I did a month-to-month and used code IMPRESSION15 for 15% off. Always look for the coupon! :)

Damn!, Missed that :doh:

jsmcmullen92
05-01-2017, 05:35 AM
SO it I read it correctly for Month to Month I need to cancel after this one or it will auto bill anyway?

Lookwhoitis
05-01-2017, 06:04 AM
of course they tack the $8 shipping on after the fact. Grrrr

Lookwhoitis
05-01-2017, 06:10 AM
Is this a hardcover edition?

becca69
05-01-2017, 06:11 AM

I think on the website it states that each box has a flat $8 shipping rate. Not bad considering books can be all over the place for weight and each box contains 2 books. I'm excited for this, plus might get me interested in other authors I might not currently read or know about.

cit74
Decided to give it a try from month to month

TravelinJack

I was a little bit peeved by that as well. Of course, I understand shipping costs and am ready to compensate for that. However, when you are selling a 'subscription' I feel that you should market an all in subscription cost. Else, it feels a little tricky.

becca69
05-01-2017, 06:13 AM

I was a little bit peeved by that as well. Of course, I understand shipping costs and am ready to compensate for that. However, when you are selling a 'subscription' I feel that you should market an all in subscription cost. Else, it feels a little tricky.

I've never bought a subscription box that didn't have extra shipping.

TravelinJack
05-01-2017, 06:21 AM

I tried looking through the site and didn't see where it mentioned the flat rate shipping. I could have missed it entirely. I have never done a reader subscription before and is perhaps why I was caught a little off guard. I still think this is a neat idea and went forward with it and paid. However, with any subscription I have signed up for, that carried a monthly subscription cost, I don't think I've not seen an 'all-in' rate. So, It's more of a monthly subscription of 43 versus 35. I just think if this was clearer that last tack on for shipping won't be a surprise.

Either way, I think it's a neat concept and am looking forward to receiving the first box!

Lookwhoitis
05-01-2017, 06:22 AM

Yeah... I mean I understand the shipping costs. It just got my goat because I thought i was getting it for the sweet deal of under 30 bucks (after coupon, thanks for that!)

I just hate it when shipping is tacked on after the fact in the paypal transaction :drool:

Lookwhoitis
05-01-2017, 06:25 AM
what is the over/under on whether I will forget to turn this subscription off before the may 15th deadline? ROFL :scared:

Lookwhoitis
05-01-2017, 06:28 AM
SO it I read it correctly for Month to Month I need to cancel after this one or it will auto bill anyway?

I think you need to cancel it (by the 15th of the month). I paid with paypal and it created a subscription payment...

I wonder why they dont allow a chance to see if you like the box and want to continue. Paying for a mystery gwendy's button box nocturnal box on the 1st of may but it doesn't ship until the 1st of june which is AFTER you would have to pay for the July box.

Lookwhoitis
05-01-2017, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the coupon! :rose:

Cwalker
05-01-2017, 06:33 AM

IF i understood it correctly, yes it will be a 1/1 Gwendy's with a CD and King approved alternative cover. There will also be a second softcover book of indeterminate printing history and some kind of graphic artwork. All-in-all in seems a good deal.

jsmcmullen92
05-01-2017, 06:35 AM
what is the over/under on whether I will forget to turn this subscription off before the may 15th deadline? ROFL :scared:

Me too... can we cancel today and still receive the June Box?

dnemec
05-01-2017, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the coupon! :rose:

Anytime!!!

TravelinJack
05-01-2017, 07:04 AM

IF i understood it correctly, yes it will be a 1/1 Gwendy's with a CD and King approved alternative cover. There will also be a second softcover book of indeterminate printing history and some kind of graphic artwork. All-in-all in seems a good deal.

Sounds like a cool set, I look forward to it.

becca69
05-01-2017, 07:40 AM

I think you need to cancel it (by the 15th of the month). I paid with paypal and it created a subscription payment...

I wonder why they dont allow a chance to see if you like the box and want to continue. Paying for a mystery gwendy's button box nocturnal box on the 1st of may but it doesn't ship until the 1st of june which is AFTER you would have to pay for the July box.

I read you can skip any month. So you could skip July and see if you like June. The last few boxes I've seen have looked cool and someone said they do include signed books sometimes.

Beverly Marsh
05-02-2017, 04:35 AM
Month to month here as well. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Not sure how long I'll stick with it but it will be fun to try. I wonder if you cancel if you can come back later, like say if they do a Hill box or another King?

bdwyer19
05-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Their Facebook page released the alternate dust jacket design. Still undecided if I'm going to order it.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/bdwyer19/AC360E30-85A8-405E-AD37-23EAB39A9F2E_zpsmclj6bfe.jpg

sentinel
05-02-2017, 10:40 AM
It is "approved" by CD so it is a legitimate dust jacket varient. It's not like the Overlook jackets that are made up and copied as some kind of limited collectible.
It's like the different Insomnia or Under the Dome color variations, only this varient is a whole lot less quantity. And, since they should be on first printings, that will
be even more collectible. Look at how collectibe the Holdorf covers are and they are on 25th printings or higher.

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 12:56 PM
I dig it. In fact I'm even more intrigued about the novella now. Can't wait to read it. I realize I should probably read some Chizmar first to get a feel for how he writes.

Tommy
05-02-2017, 01:03 PM
I like how it kinda looks like there is a skull sitting on top of the Castle Rock sign. Anyone else see it?

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 01:08 PM
I like how it kinda looks like there is a skull sitting on top of the Castle Rock sign. Anyone else see it?

Nice catch! I see it. Subtle. It may not have been intentional. It's like a Freudian art slip.

Ari_Racing
05-02-2017, 02:47 PM
I can't place an order. It delivers an error. :(

TCCBodhi
05-02-2017, 07:12 PM
I had a few questions come to mind today. Is the copy of Gwendy's that will be in the Nocturnal Reader's box with the variant DJ also going to include the original DJ as well and is it the same physical edition as the 'normal' first printings; ie Is it going to fit in the slipcover that CD will be making? If it DOESN'T include the normal DJ, is the normal DJ available for order?

Br!an
05-03-2017, 07:07 AM
I had a few questions come to mind today. Is the copy of Gwendy's that will be in the Nocturnal Reader's box with the variant DJ also going to include the original DJ as well and is it the same physical edition as the 'normal' first printings; ie Is it going to fit in the slipcover that CD will be making? If it DOESN'T include the normal DJ, is the normal DJ available for order?

I doubt it will come with two dustjackets. It should be the normal first printing and should fit in the slipcase. CD should have extra dustjackets for sale once they are done shipping the books.

Ari_Racing
05-03-2017, 07:28 AM
I contacted the tech support because I'm still unable to purchase it. If it ends up with no contact, can anyone buy an extra for me? I can pay via Paypal.

Thanks!

Br!an
05-03-2017, 07:35 AM
I contacted the tech support because I'm still unable to purchase it. If it ends up with no contact, can anyone buy an extra for me? I can pay via Paypal.

Thanks!

I'll help.

Beverly Marsh
05-03-2017, 08:51 AM
I dig it. In fact I'm even more intrigued about the novella now. Can't wait to read it. I realize I should probably read some Chizmar first to get a feel for how he writes.
Long December is an excellent read. A behemoth book. Start there.

Beverly Marsh
05-03-2017, 08:55 AM
I really dig the variant cover art and I missed the skull completely! Nice find Tommy.
Also never even thought to get a slipcase for this. Another good catch! Are they selling separate slipcases for Gwendy's? I haven't seen them available yet other than with the book purchase....
I'll be interested to see what else comes in this box, from looking at past ones they send some pretty cool stuff.

Brian James Freeman
05-03-2017, 10:34 AM
I really dig the variant cover art and I missed the skull completely! Nice find Tommy.
Also never even thought to get a slipcase for this. Another good catch! Are they selling separate slipcases for Gwendy's? I haven't seen them available yet other than with the book purchase....
I'll be interested to see what else comes in this box, from looking at past ones they send some pretty cool stuff.

We haven't listed the GWENDY slipcase separately on the site yet, but I'll bump up the order here real quick before the slipcase maker gets rolling because I didn't even think about folks wanting cases for the variant DJ, which is a great point.

The books are exactly the same, only the DJ is different (and the DJ was printed by the same plant on the same stock, etc), so the slipcase should fit exactly the same. :)

Brian

Beverly Marsh
05-03-2017, 11:48 AM

We haven't listed the GWENDY slipcase separately on the site yet, but I'll bump up the order here real quick before the slipcase maker gets rolling because I didn't even think about folks wanting cases for the variant DJ, which is a great point.

The books are exactly the same, only the DJ is different (and the DJ was printed by the same plant on the same stock, etc), so the slipcase should fit exactly the same. :)

Brian

Yay! Thanks for the reply Brian! I think most of us will be getting an extra slipcase :biggrin:

TravelinJack
05-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Long December is an excellent read. A behemoth book. Start there.

Will do. I look forward to it.

Ari_Racing
05-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Thanks!

I'll help.

THANK YOU!!! I was finally able to place an order with another browser. :)

THANK YOU!

Robert Fulman
05-12-2017, 09:28 AM
So, this might be a silly question, but when I signed up for the Nocturnal Reader's box (via the page with the gigantic picture of Stephen King on it), I assumed I was signing up for the June Box (i.e., the one with Gwendy's Button Box in it). I've now started receiving emails from them about the May box, but they have not responded to my questions. Am I the one who assumed that if I signed up for the "month-to-month" plan that I would be starting with the SK box? Given that they sent out an email about how they are having a hard time handling the May shipments, I imagine that they were bombarded with orders that they were ill-equipped to handle.

racerx45
05-12-2017, 10:03 AM
So, this might be a silly question, but when I signed up for the Nocturnal Reader's box (via the page with the gigantic picture of Stephen King on it), I assumed I was signing up for the June Box (i.e., the one with Gwendy's Button Box in it). I've now started receiving emails from them about the May box, but they have not responded to my questions. Am I the one who assumed that if I signed up for the "month-to-month" plan that I would be starting with the SK box? Given that they sent out an email about how they are having a hard time handling the May shipments, I imagine that they were bombarded with orders that they were ill-equipped to handle.

Looking at my account it shows that I signed up on May 1st and my renewal is June 15th. So I read that as I am getting June and not May. The email talked about renewals coming up on the 15th and 20th and I would guess those are for people that received May and are now paying for their June Subscription. I am not 100% my assumptions are correct, hopefully they are.

becca69
05-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Looking at my account it shows that I signed up on May 1st and my renewal is June 15th. So I read that as I am getting June and not May. The email talked about renewals coming up on the 15th and 20th and I would guess those are for people that received May and are now paying for their June Subscription. I am not 100% my assumptions are correct, hopefully they are.

May's box/subsciptions were sold out so when you signed up it was for the June box. Since you are now a subscriber, you are receiving their email alerts. And looks like most of their troubles were from the freight/sorting facility.

jsmcmullen92
05-19-2017, 05:02 AM
So has anyone cancelled their membership yet/been charged for another month yet? I am still really confused by their schedule.

Ari_Racing
05-19-2017, 05:04 AM
I didn't cancel it but suspended it for one month. I'll wait until the news on the next box and if I like it I'll reactivate it.

jsmcmullen92
05-19-2017, 05:06 AM
I didn't cancel it but suspended it for one month. I'll wait until the news on the next box and if I like it I'll reactivate it.

Ah good call. I'll do that now

Beverly Marsh
05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, you might double check to make sure you didn't accidentally suspend June. They don't bill until the 15th of the month so the next payment should be June 15th and that will be for the July box. June was paid in May. I'd be leery of cancelling anything until AFTER June boxes ship or wait until June 14th. They did an instagram post the other day that a few people had cancelled or suspended the June box thus making them available.(and those were immediately gone) I'm not sure how all of this works yet either and you guys might be perfectly safe but I would err on the side of caution since we don't know for sure.

Ari_Racing
05-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks! I actually emailed them before suspending mentioning I wanted to suspend for July's box.

TCCBodhi
05-19-2017, 10:41 AM
I just sent a clarifying email as well. I love the idea of the boxes and the subscription, but rather uneasy that we don't even know the theme of the next box when renewal billing hits.

Though it will surely be amazing when it is revealed and I'll just re-up my subscription.

herbertwest
05-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Did any pictures surfaced yet?

Roseannebarr
06-04-2017, 12:06 AM
My June Nocturnal Box arrived on Saturday.

Contained:

Ranked 1* to 4*

Gwendys Button Box -with variant cover (****) love it
Custom dark tower inspired bandana (****) cool
Limited edition coin (****) cool. face of coin not what I was expecting I hope CD does their coin right!!
jordy verrill patch from creepshow ** cheap looking, but fun
two stickers - Carrie and Pennywise * cheap cheap
Derry Maine magnet *** neat IT reference. well done.
SK bookmark I like it. Molly is on it.
Long Walk Art print Interesting..... * wont do anything with it. leave it in the box
Constant reader enamel pin Love it.

And a very weird item FIRESTARTER TEA. Took it out of the box. Kind of reminds me of the blue traycase from the Shining S/l it is going to infect my other treasures. removed for safety of all other items

AND DRUMROLL PLEASE--- WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS IN THEIR COLLECTION..... Br!an --- you can have my copy, because I think you only own about 20

look at spoiler at your own risk The most amazing book ever! WHY? WHY? WHY? I will be having nightmares about this book it ships with everything.... they must have 10 million copies at CD. Did anyone really buy this???

First Edition First Printing PORK PIE HAT

Beverly Marsh
06-04-2017, 03:22 AM
I haven't gotten mine yet and want to keep the element of surprise so I'll have to come back later and read your ratings Glenn. However, from what I did see, it sounds pretty fun!

Br!an
06-04-2017, 07:25 AM

Contained:

Ranked 1* to 4*

Limited edition coin (****) cool. face of coin not what I was expecting I hope CD does their coin right!!
Long Walk Art print Interesting..... * wont do anything with it. leave it in the box

And a very weird item FIRESTARTER TEA. Took it out of the box. Kind of reminds me of the blue traycase from the Shining S/l it is going to infect my other treasures. removed for safety of all other items

AND DRUMROLL PLEASE--- WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS IN THEIR COLLECTION..... Br!an --- you can have my copy, because I think you only own about 20

look at spoiler at your own risk The most amazing book ever! WHY? WHY? WHY? I will be having nightmares about this book it ships with everything.... they must have 10 million copies at CD. Did anyone really buy this???

Nice! I like it. Mine isn't even on route yet.

I was able to guess the spoiler! :lol:

Tommy
06-04-2017, 07:29 AM
The spoiler gave me a chuckle.

ICry4Oy
06-04-2017, 08:21 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! I gave somewhere around 8 copies of that to Half Priced Books.

dnemec
06-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Contained:

Ranked 1* to 4*

Nice! I like it. Mine isn't even on route yet.

I was able to guess the spoiler! :lol:

Mine isn't enroute either. Glad it's not just me!

I guessed the spoiler too.

ZarkSeven
06-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Oddly enough my box arrived yesterday, and then today I got an email noticed that it shipped. I'd pretty much agree with the assessment of the contents above.

herbertwest
06-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Any chance to see a good quality picture of the cover?
I've only seen a few small pictures or sets

herbertwest
06-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Btw, here is the cover

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18835759_1534368543248569_8717312235399515980_n.jp g?oh=9ab6ac86d4d80cea4288bd37ebdcabf3&oe=59A320D3

And pictures of a box
> https://www.facebook.com/Skeletoncrew19/posts/1534339409918149

CyberGhostface
06-05-2017, 07:03 AM
A little relieved I wasn't able to get it, the box sounds kind of underwhelming to be honest.

wolfehr
06-05-2017, 07:09 AM
A little relieved I wasn't able to get it, the box sounds kind of underwhelming to be honest.

It's pretty much on par with what I was expecting for $35.

Br!an
06-05-2017, 02:20 PM

It's pretty much on par with what I was expecting for $35.

I'm happy with it. I think it's well worth the money.

becca69
06-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Yep, it's cool. I like it.

Tommy
06-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Same here. I was getting low on copies of PPH so one more can't hurt! I have a question about the tea. Firestarter is one of the few King novels I haven't read. It's also been ages since I've seen the movie. Does the tea have anything to do with the plot in anyway?

becca69
06-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Same here. I was getting low on copies of PPH so one more can't hurt! I have a question about the tea. Firestarter is one of the few King novels I haven't read. It's also been ages since I've seen the movie. Does the tea have anything to do with the plot in anyway?

It looks spicy :onfire:

Tommy
06-05-2017, 03:12 PM

It looks spicy :onfire:

Of course! How silly of me :lol:

Randall Flagg
06-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Firestarter is one of the few King novels I haven't read. It's also been ages since I've seen the movie. Does the tea have anything to do with the plot in anyway?
No.

Tommy
06-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Firestarter is one of the few King novels I haven't read. It's also been ages since I've seen the movie. Does the tea have anything to do with the plot in anyway?
No.

I didn't think so but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

wolfehr
06-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Mine arrived tonight. I'm happy with it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170606/2f689893fc90aa4af60b3ddaf174c33c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170606/b1ae5cb333b7ba0ff04d837d8b889570.jpg

Randall Flagg
06-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Donate the book. Keep the dog.

wolfehr
06-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Haha, that's basically my plan. My building has a library made up of resident donations that I plan to drop it off at.

Roseannebarr
06-05-2017, 06:10 PM

Haha, that's basically my plan. My building has a library made up of resident donations that I plan to drop it off at.

I plan on keeping the pork pie book with the box contents. It is now infamously a collectable if you want the complete box. I removed the tea and plan to put it in 2 or 3 ziplocked bags and then back in the box.

Br!an
06-05-2017, 07:00 PM

I plan on keeping the pork pie book with the box contents. It is now infamously a collectable if you want the complete box. I removed the tea and plan to put it in 2 or 3 ziplocked bags and then back in the box.

I think I'll use my Foodsaver and seal up the tea, just in case...

Lookwhoitis
06-05-2017, 08:37 PM
omg that dog is awesome :heart:, what kind of breed is he?

wolfehr
06-06-2017, 03:20 AM
omg that dog is awesome :heart:, what kind of breed is he?

We agree :) She's a rescue so a mix of a lot of things. We did one of those DNA test things because we were curious and this is what it came back with. I've heard these are only somewhat accurate so take it was a grain of salt. The rescue said her mom was a corgi. We're skeptical :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170606/baa4bf07f72bbf81eb7d9a524f98b921.png

jsmcmullen92
06-06-2017, 04:55 AM
Looks like your dog and my new one would get a long just fine without they like to chew on corners of furniture.

dnemec
06-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Am I the only one that hasn't received theirs yet? Mine has been sitting in TN for 6 days awaiting USPS. Smartpost, my ass!

webstar1000
06-06-2017, 06:43 AM
So glad I passed on this... not my thing. Happy for those of you that like it though.

CyberGhostface
06-06-2017, 07:50 AM
So what's the deal with Pork Pie Hat? Do they have a lot of extra inventory?

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2017, 08:13 AM
So what's the deal with Pork Pie Hat? Do they have a lot of extra inventory?

Um, used to, not anymore. ;) A chain bookstore ordered a bunch of copies of the trade hardcover when the book was announced and then returned many of them, unfortunately. Such is life when it comes to returnable inventory.

Brian

Lookwhoitis
06-06-2017, 08:14 AM
I remember for years that I mistakenly thought a porkpie hat was a newsboy cap.

I guess that is what you get being from a generation that grew up without pork pies or newsboys.

Now i just call it a Heisenberg hat! :cool2:

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2017, 08:16 AM
We agree :) She's a rescue so a mix of a lot of things. We did one of those DNA test things because we were curious and this is what it came back with. I've heard these are only somewhat accurate so take it was a grain of salt. The rescue said her mom was a corgi. We're skeptical :)

I was certain there would be some German Shorthaired Pointer within a generation or two based on the markings on the legs. Of course, that DNA could be in some of those mixed breeds on the chart. :)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Anyone have a photo of the coin? I'm really curious about what they came up with. (The one I came up with will be done at the mint in July. There's no rush since the book cannot go to the printer until the sig sheets are done.)

Brian

racerx45
06-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Am I the only one that hasn't received theirs yet? Mine has been sitting in TN for 6 days awaiting USPS. Smartpost, my ass!

My tracking showed that is shipped June 1st and nothing else as of yesterday. I just checked again and it show it is out for delivery. So hopefully yours will be there soon.

becca69
06-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Anyone have a photo of the coin? I'm really curious about what they came up with. (The one I came up with will be done at the mint in July. There's no rush since the book cannot go to the printer until the sig sheets are done.)

Brian

Here ya go:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/Stephen%20King%20Collection/26C58099-43D8-43F4-BE47-1AF9B1924D00.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/becca3969/media/Stephen%20King%20Collection/26C58099-43D8-43F4-BE47-1AF9B1924D00.jpg.html)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/Stephen%20King%20Collection/64258352-360C-42DA-83E8-C8E3FE29CE21.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/becca3969/media/Stephen%20King%20Collection/64258352-360C-42DA-83E8-C8E3FE29CE21.jpg.html)

Maybe yours should come with tiny chocolates too!

Lookwhoitis
06-06-2017, 09:10 AM
got my box!

So i don't understand... if you are subscribed you automatically get the next box? I went to the website to check out news for the July box to see if the theme had been announced and it was listed as SOLD OUT (for July im thinking) If so adding all us King fans last month surely gave them an uptick in their business!

The theme is "The Feast" and it says there will be a Silence of the Lambs item in there. Im guessing it's Cannibalism! lol

Beverly Marsh
06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Can't decide whether or not to cancel before or after this "Feast" theme......while I enjoyed the King box and agree with pretty much everyone else on it's contents I just don't need more STUFF from more subscription boxes. I did really like The Long Walk print though.
Brian, feel free to share pics of CD's coin so we can compare....:cool: ;)

Heath, gorgeous dog!

I've never read, nor had planned to read Pork Pie Hat. I guess I better now!

Tommy
06-06-2017, 09:17 AM
I just noticed the email about July. Says that King fans might want to stick around. Of course I've already cancelled my subscription. :arg:

Beverly Marsh
06-06-2017, 09:18 AM
I just noticed the email about July. Says that King fans might want to stick around. Of course I've already cancelled my subscription. :arg:

Crud, I guess that answers my question then. I better stick around for July :lol1:

Tommy
06-06-2017, 09:20 AM
"Hey Nocturnal Readers!!

To those who have already received their King boxes, please let us know what you think of it, and its collectibility. To those who have not, you will get it soon! Its been a hell of a month (May) and now that we are here, we can all say that we have created an amazing follow up for the King box! If you were a one time customer, a collector of King, perhaps you'll stick around a bit longer. "

Well now that I read it again, it could be taken another way so I'm not so sure.

Beverly Marsh
06-06-2017, 09:23 AM
"Hey Nocturnal Readers!!

To those who have already received their King boxes, please let us know what you think of it, and its collectibility. To those who have not, you will get it soon! Its been a hell of a month (May) and now that we are here, we can all say that we have created an amazing follow up for the King box! If you were a one time customer, a collector of King, perhaps you'll stick around a bit longer. "

Well now that I read it again, it could be taken another way so I'm not so sure.
Oh yes, I did see that. I took it as people only signed up for the King box and are now cancelling the rest of their subscription and they're asking folks to perhaps give July a shot as well.

becca69
06-06-2017, 09:27 AM
They also said the July box has a 1 in 4 signed quantity.

Tommy
06-06-2017, 09:27 AM
"Hey Nocturnal Readers!!

Oh yes, I did see that. I took it as people only signed up for the King box and are now cancelling the rest of their subscription and they're asking folks to perhaps give July a shot as well.

Sorry for the misinfo. I believe your assessment is correct. Still, I want the Silence of the Lambs item whatever it is! :panic:

Br!an
06-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Hey Nocturnal Readers!!

To those who have already received their King boxes, please let us know what you think of it, and its collectibility. To those who have not, you will get it soon! Its been a hell of a month (May) and now that we are here, we can all say that we have created an amazing follow up for the King box! If you were a one time customer, a collector of King, perhaps you'll stick around a bit longer.

We need talk about The Feast. We have officially received everything for July's box and it is incredible! There's flesh eating creatures, cannibalism, sharks, vampires, and creepy kids...what else does a horror box need?

We also have items that we have never used before! One of which is a very usable and beautiful Silence of the Lambs item that you CANNOT miss!

Thank you all for another great month!

Vincent & Jessica
The Nocturnal Reader's Box

sentinel
06-06-2017, 09:56 AM
I wrote them and asked them how many they sold for the King box and he told me they sold 1500.
Which means we now have a 1500 copy varient dust jacket for Gwendy's which could become very scarce.
I also like the Long Walk print and the Costant Reader pin.

TCCBodhi
06-06-2017, 03:23 PM
So glad that I am now the owner of a copy of Pork Pie Hat. I've somehow missed getting it. Is it really SK related though, other than being written by his sometimes writing partner?

I really like the Long Walk print (it's my favorite short-ish story) and the DT bandana thingy. All in all a fun package.

jsteltor
06-06-2017, 05:00 PM
What are your thoughts of taking the Nocturnal DJ and putting it on a Chizmar signed copy?

Br!an
06-06-2017, 05:14 PM
What are your thoughts of taking the Nocturnal DJ and putting it on a Chizmar signed copy?

Sure. Why not?

jsteltor
06-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Not part of the "original" Nocturnal release. That sort of thing.

racerx45
06-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Not part of the "original" Nocturnal release. That sort of thing.

I don’t see it as an issue either, both are 1st/1st so go for it.

jsteltor
06-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Thanks. I was just thinking from a collector and purist pov.

TravelinJack
06-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Received mine today. It was a fun experience seeing all the goodies. Well done nocturnal.

darkseer
06-07-2017, 12:43 AM
There's one of the books and coins from the reader's box up for bid on ebay it's up to $25

Tommy
06-07-2017, 12:51 AM
There's one of the books and coins from the reader's box up for bid on ebay it's up to $25

Gwendy's Button Box Variant Cover by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar & Coin RARE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gwendys-Button-Box-Variant-Cover-by-Stephen-King-Richard-Chizmar-Coin-RARE-/152576136495?hash=item23863f152f:g:H7QAAOSws5pZNzN 6)

DanHocker
06-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Thanks. I was just thinking from a collector and purist pov.

I would think of it as not being any different than taking your nocturnal readers copy to a signing and getting it signed.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Somehow I missed this entire thread. What is the price for a month's subscription?

Tommy
06-07-2017, 06:39 PM
~$40 with shipping though many had a 10% coupon I missed.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-08-2017, 04:46 AM
Thanks. I wish I had known about it.

dnemec
06-08-2017, 04:47 AM
FINALLY got mine! It's pretty cool. I'm thinking about reading that damn Pork Pie Hat since it's soooo popular!

DanHocker
06-08-2017, 05:57 AM
FINALLY got mine! It's pretty cool. I'm thinking about reading that damn Pork Pie Hat since it's soooo popular!

I had said on the CD forums that I would've warned you guys about Pork Pie Hat, but I didn't want to spoil the box, plus I wasn't entirely sure he was using it in this month box or in a future box. We kinda figured the CD customer base and the Nocturnal Readers Box customer base had very little overlap so most of the box subscribers probably had never seen Pork Pie Hat before.

racerx45
06-08-2017, 07:28 AM
@ Dan – I don’t think it is possible that anyone has not seen this book before. Just the other day I witnessed a child birth and the kid popped out with a copy in their hand! :doh:

Roseannebarr
06-08-2017, 12:48 PM

I had said on the CD forums that I would've warned you guys about Pork Pie Hat, but I didn't want to spoil the box, plus I wasn't entirely sure he was using it in this month box or in a future box. We kinda figured the CD customer base and the Nocturnal Readers Box customer base had very little overlap so most of the box subscribers probably had never seen Pork Pie Hat before.

I dont think anyone is complaining! it was quite amusing. 1500 Nocturnal Boxes. You have to be low on copies by now!

Brian James Freeman
06-08-2017, 12:54 PM

I dont think anyone is complaining! it was quite amusing. 1500 Nocturnal Boxes. You have to be low on copies by now!

http://www.cemeterydance.com/pork-pie-hat.html

Brian

MLG
06-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Brian

Your warehouse must feel naked without it's trusty Pork Pie Hat!

dnemec
06-08-2017, 01:43 PM

I wasn't complaining - I was serious. Think I might read this when I am done re-reading BOBD. I've had other copies, seen dozens, heard tons about the book, so might as well. And good for you guys to finally get it OOP!

Br!an
06-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Nocturnal said, "We'd like to purchase 1500 Gwendy's Button Box books and put a variant dustjacket on them.

CD said, "No problem. Just purchase 1500 Pork Pie Hats and it's a deal." :wtf:

Randall Flagg
06-08-2017, 02:24 PM
At least they don't have a remainder mark on the bottom...

burial
06-09-2017, 12:06 AM

Brian

Don't worry...
Finally i got my FIRST copy of MOST POPULAR "Pork Pie Hat" ;)

DanHocker
06-09-2017, 05:59 AM
@ Dan – I don’t think it is possible that anyone has not seen this book before. Just the other day I witnessed a child birth and the kid popped out with a copy in their hand! :doh:

You'd be surprised. I probably got maybe 3 or 4 orders a year for them via direct sales, which means we had customers who didn't have it. Plus it never really made it into mass market hands. I can't really remember why we had so many extra copies of it, something to do with missing a distributor deadline or just a dumb amount of returns from a distributor.

DanHocker
06-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Nocturnal said, "We'd like to purchase 1500 Gwendy's Button Box books and put a variant dustjacket on them.

CD said, "No problem. Just purchase 1500 Pork Pie Hats and it's a deal." :wtf:

Not quite. I had originally given them 2 other options for the 2nd book, but when they bumped the quantity to 1500 that eliminated those other options. Oddly enough I only just barely had enough Pork Pie Hat's to give them. I think there might be maybe half a case left.

Brian James Freeman
06-09-2017, 06:09 AM

You'd be surprised. I probably got maybe 3 or 4 orders a year for them via direct sales, which means we had customers who didn't have it. Plus it never really made it into mass market hands. I can't really remember why we had so many extra copies of it, something to do with missing a distributor deadline or just a dumb amount of returns from a distributor.

TONS of returns from Barnes & Nobles. They were supposed to promote it and they didn't, so they sent most of their order back.

Brian

racerx45
06-09-2017, 07:21 AM

TONS of returns from Barnes & Nobles. They were supposed to promote it and they didn't, so they sent most of their order back.

Brian

For me the funny parts is that I have never ordered a copy and I now have three copies. It almost like https://startrekreview.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/tribbles.jpg?w=384&h=288

bdwyer19
06-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Darn, I didn't order the Nocturnal box. I may never get an opportunity to read Pork Pie Hat! :emot-roflolmao:

DanHocker
06-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Brian

Oh yea I remember now. I think we shipped Pork Pie Hat within the first like 4 months of me working here.

DanHocker
06-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Darn, I didn't order the Nocturnal box. I may never get an opportunity to read Pork Pie Hat! :emot-roflolmao:

I still have some. I could send you a handful if you want... :p

ICry4Oy
06-09-2017, 09:55 AM
PPH was the reason I quit ordering grab bags. Had like 8 copies of that damned book. :onfire:

jsmcmullen92
06-09-2017, 11:17 AM
PPH was the reason I quit ordering grab bags. Had like 8 copies of that damned book. :onfire:

Yup me too!

Tommy
06-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Gwendy's Button Box Variant Cover by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar & Coin RARE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gwendys-Button-Box-Variant-Cover-by-Stephen-King-Richard-Chizmar-Coin-RARE-/152576136495?hash=item23863f152f:g:H7QAAOSws5pZNzN 6)

Sold for $91, not bad!

dnemec
11-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Hey all - Did anyone continue getting these boxes? Just wondering what your thoughts are...

wolfehr
11-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Hey all - Did anyone continue getting these boxes? Just wondering what your thoughts are...

I got the next couple and generally liked them. I just don’t have enough room for all throes books until I move so cancelled.

jsteltor
11-07-2017, 03:38 PM

I'm still getting them but I will probably stop after Dec. No offense to anyone, but I'm not a fan of the self-published books that have been included. The 1 in 4 getting signed books hasn't worked in my favor either.

Cwalker
11-07-2017, 03:53 PM

I'm still getting them but I will probably stop after Dec. No offense to anyone, but I'm not a fan of the self-published books that have been included. The 1 in 4 getting signed books hasn't worked in my favor either.

The will be my last month for a while also. I enjoyed what each box contained, and will look into them again, but for now it was strictly a cost saving measure. Until we discover if we can get another client, which in turn will help us buy the house, money is just too tight.

Br!an
11-07-2017, 04:13 PM
I kept getting them until this month. I skipped November.

They are interesting. I haven't received any signed books either.

I might let December's billing go through since they're saying there is King and Joe Hill stuff.

I doubt I'll continue much longer than that though.

sentinel
11-07-2017, 05:19 PM

I kept going for a few months and just stopped. I don't care for their selection of books and most of the little "trinkets" are a waste.
I never got a signed book either.

Beverly Marsh
11-08-2017, 08:08 AM
I cancelled after the July box, like others stated I just wasn't interested in the books or most of the other odds and ends. However, I really would like to get my hands on the Long Walk shirt. Hoping it goes up in their store eventually like the Captain Trips hat did!

dnemec
11-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys! I had received just June's, but with Hill and Blatty and King being in December's box, I was thinking about taking another crack at it!

Br!an
01-16-2018, 03:19 PM
I forgot to cancel, so the newest box has shipped.

I should cancel right now, but I have to see what's in the box first. :doh:

dnemec
01-16-2018, 05:20 PM
It's a vicious cycle!!!

Heather19
01-16-2018, 07:18 PM
I just found out about this a few months ago, so last month was my first box. Loved it. Can't wait for this new one because I love Poe. Really wish the shipping was faster though. I didn't get my last one until right before Christmas and my subscription has just renewed for next month, but I haven't even received my box for this month yet. Is this typical, or is it just the holidays and weather screwing it up?

Br!an
01-17-2018, 02:44 AM
I just found out about this a few months ago, so last month was my first box. Loved it. Can't wait for this new one because I love Poe. Really wish the shipping was faster though. I didn't get my last one until right before Christmas and my subscription has just renewed for next month, but I haven't even received my box for this month yet. Is this typical, or is it just the holidays and weather screwing it up?

They normally bill on the ~15th and ship just after the 1st. You should usually get your box before the next billing.

Heather19
01-17-2018, 05:54 AM
So maybe it's just been the weather then. Hopefully this box will arrive more timely than my last one.

Br!an
01-17-2018, 07:16 AM
It's probably both the holidays and the weather.

Roseannebarr
01-18-2018, 10:14 AM
It's probably both the holidays and the weather.

I got an apology email from them. Bad shipping labels. Weather. And holidays all conspired against them.

Heather19
01-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Yes, I just got that email too. Hopefully next month shipping will be more prompt. Glad to hear it's not a common occurrence with them.