PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Haven Fundraiser Auction #18-Custom bound Different Seasons with original art

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 11:33 AM
http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif
AUCTION LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201905520596?)

Up for auction is a custom bound copy of Stephen King's "Different Seasons". This book was created using a US trade 1st edition, 1st printing hardback of "Different Seasons".
Glenn Chadbourne created original art that was used on the covers of each book as well as for the slipcase.
The Slipcase is made from Nubuck, and has title, author, and art, on both faces.

Each book also has one or more pieces of original art bound in.
The books are full bound in leather.
Different color endpapers were used for each book to represent the four seasons that are the Pre-title for each story:

Green-Hope Springs Eternal-Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption-Features original signed art by Alex Mcvey

Yellow-Summer of Corruption-Apt Pupil-Features original signed art by Erin Wells

Auburn-Fall of Innocence-The Body-Features original signed art by Rachel Readman & Darek Kocurek

Black & White-A Winter's Tale-The Breathing Method-Features original signed art by Rachel Readman

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2017, 11:34 AM
And I have kicked this one off

becca69
04-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Very nice.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-25-2017, 11:51 AM
And I have kicked this one off

And I just took the lead! LOL! :excited:

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Not for long :)

T-Dogz_AK47
04-25-2017, 11:57 AM

You were saying....? LOL! :P

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2017, 11:57 AM

You were saying.... LOL! :P
I'll play the long game haha

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 12:02 PM
It needs to sell for a lot. I made the mistake of wanting the art on the case and the book fronts. Had to buy the custom made stamps. They were $470! Merlin and I split the cost of the stamps so that it wouldn't come out of the fundraiser. BTAIM, the remaining cost to bind it, etc was very expensive.

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Over $600. Good thing.

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Look who is in the lead.....................................:belial:

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2017, 04:05 PM
I'll come back in a day or so :evil:

zelig
04-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Josh is gunning for this one.

cit74
04-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Very nice item indeed - someone's having fun with binding

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 04:38 PM
:belial:

peripheral
04-25-2017, 05:11 PM
OK... This item is fucking awesome...

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 05:12 PM
OK... This item is fucking awesome...

Damn!!! Bested again!!!!

Edit:

:belial:

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 05:30 PM
We are past the break even point (since Bill and I covered the $470 for plates).

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 05:32 PM
We are past the break even point (since Bill and I covered the $470 for plates).

Huh? What you talking about, Willis? lol lol

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Just throw a winning bid out there.
$1.5K would win it for sure...

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Someone keeps stealing it as soon as I take it...

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Better go $1,750 just to be sure. lol

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2017, 05:53 PM

I bet it's you Bill I thought those extra cookies would put me on your good side LOL

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 05:57 PM

I bet it's you Bill I thought those extra cookies would put me on your good side LOL

It is me and I can be bought for more linzer tarts, I ain't ashamed to say............... LOL

I mean since I am apparently in it for the art and $235 already I may as well go for the whole tamale, no? lol lol

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Bill,

give others a chance.

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Bill,

give others a chance.
I'm up for competition lol

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Bill,

give others a chance.
I'm up for competition lol

Yeah, you need a time out, El Jefe!!! lol lol j/k lol

EXPLORER
04-25-2017, 06:11 PM
What an interesting item.. Looks great! ............... and who might just sit in waiting ... ????????? then jump..

Merlin1958
04-25-2017, 06:13 PM
What an interesting item.. Looks great! ............... and who might just sit in waiting ... ????????? then jump..

Uh Oh!!!! LOL

T-Dogz_AK47
04-25-2017, 08:56 PM
And I'm back in the lead!!!! :rock:

webstar1000
04-26-2017, 03:04 AM
My goodness Rachel has some talent eh? The best damm piece in that book is hers of the boys around the fire. The perspective with the trees is fantastic. Reminds me a bit of the piece "The Clearing" by Whelan. That is NOT an easy task for any artist. That alone makes me want this...

Randall Flagg
04-26-2017, 04:42 AM
Well, we are over $1K! Can we keep the excitement (bids) going?

mikeC
04-26-2017, 05:40 AM
This is just so awesome. Using Glen as the emboss drawing artist was genius.
Was there a production diary of this?

Randall Flagg
04-26-2017, 05:50 AM
Not really. There are emails between the artists and either Bill, or myself, but no pictures of the production process. Most of the design was what I had envisioned. Communication between the binder was the old fashioned way-by telephone.

mikeC
04-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Not really. There are emails between the artists and either Bill, or myself, but no pictures of the production process. Most of the design was what I had envisioned. Communication between the binder was the old fashioned way-by telephone.

Great work dude, I am really impressed.

amd013
04-26-2017, 02:48 PM
weird, I was the winning bidder for about 40mins yesterday, but never got an email that I was outbid. I thinks its past my limit, but if it was a limited edition I would definitely go for it. Will be fun to watch this one.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-26-2017, 08:34 PM
weird, I was the winning bidder for about 40mins yesterday, but never got an email that I was outbid. I thinks its past my limit, but if it was a limited edition I would definitely go for it. Will be fun to watch this one.

Er.... IT IS a limited edition. Limited to only ONE COPY.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1493144777-Breathing%20Method%20limitation%20page.JPG

TravelinJack
04-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Ok, this is a really creative piece. So awesome. Travelin' Jack is jumpin' in! I brought some gold coin back from the territories and much like my good buddy Speedy would say, "Them pockets are feelin' mighty deep."

amd013
04-27-2017, 07:50 AM

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1493144777-Breathing%20Method%20limitation%20page.JPG

I hope you are saying this tongue in cheek, otherwise I have to respectfully disagree. If you count this as a limited edition, then you have to count that monstrosity someone posted on the eBay thread a few weeks ago (the Richard Bachman omnibus that was made into what looks like a Halloween prop). I would say it needs its own ISBN to be a legit limited edition, and should be made out of new material (by material, I mean paper), not reconstructed out of previously released books.

No offense to this item or other items like this offered on this site. They are beautiful, and I understand why people would want them. But as someone who hopes to be a completist when it comes to limited editions, this just doesn't meet the requirments in my mind. For me buying this would be a slippery slop. The only way to keep my spending under control is to draw a line. This is why I didn't buy Paul's stuff (until he created Suntup Press).

So this being a beautiful (set of) book, is why I wish it fit (at least my) definition of a limited edition.

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 08:41 AM

I hope you are saying this tongue in cheek, otherwise I have to respectfully disagree. If you count this as a limited edition, then you have to count that monstrosity someone posted on the eBay thread a few weeks ago (the Richard Bachman omnibus that was made into what looks like a Halloween prop). I would say it needs its own ISBN to be a legit limited edition, and should be made out of new material (by material, I mean paper), not reconstructed out of previously released books.

No offense to this item or other items like this offered on this site. They are beautiful, and I understand why people would want them. But as someone who hopes to be a completist when it comes to limited editions, this just doesn't meet the requirments in my mind. For me buying this would be a slippery slop. The only way to keep my spending under control is to draw a line. This is why I didn't buy Paul's stuff (until he created Suntup Press).

So this being a beautiful (set of) book, is why I wish it fit (at least my) definition of a limited edition.

Agree with ya... cannot help it. I LOVE it but it is merely a cool one off that I cannot call a limited edition.

Randall Flagg
04-27-2017, 10:17 AM
I never called it a limited edition.
The description doesn't say that.

AKC
04-27-2017, 11:13 AM
It has Jerome's name permanently bound in it. :panic:

That, by default, makes it Limited!

amd013
04-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Yes, I agree you didn't. The comment was directed at T-Dogz.

Randall Flagg
04-27-2017, 01:55 PM

However...
had Mr. King signed it and written "limited edition 1/1"...

I don't recall that "The Plant", The Philtrum's Press edition of "The Eyes of the Dragon", "New Lieutenant's Rap", "Dolan's Cadillac", and "Letters From Hell" to name a few had an ISBN.

Would you say that any/all of the above items are not Limited Editions?

T-Dogz_AK47
04-27-2017, 02:06 PM

However...

I don't recall that "The Plant", The Philtrum's Press edition of "The Eyes of the Dragon", "New Lieutenant's Rap", "Dolan's Cadillac", and "Letters From Hell" to name a few had an ISBN.

Exactly my point. :thumbsup:

This book is a remarkable piece, and a true 1/1. :clap:

Merlin1958
04-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Holy Crap!!!

amd013
04-27-2017, 02:44 PM

However...

Ok, then add the qualifier "or Stephen King was directly involved in the approval process/production/distribution of the book". I believe all those examples were the first time any of stories saw print, and in some cases the only. (if The Plant or NLR have seen print in a non limited edition. let me know, as I would love to read them).

Sure you can say 1/1 is limited, but I think you have to differentiate between unique items and limited items. If you count unique items with the limited editions, then it pretty much a certainty that no one will ever have a complete set of limited editions. So basically I don't count rebound editions as limited editions. If the physical content (pages) came from another publisher, (and it wasn't already a limited edition), then I can't call it a limited edition for the sake of completeness.

I certainly don't see any Overlook Connection editions listed in the catalog. (or did I miss them?)

jsmcmullen92
04-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Just a note. No SubPress books get ISBNs but they are all sold as limited editions

Randall Flagg
04-27-2017, 03:12 PM
I think it would be best for a very feel good auction for a very feel good purpose if we channeled the definition of a King S/L to another thread.
We have several related threads where a spirited discussion can be had.
Feel free to use the search option.

Can't resist the one last thing...

If Mr. King had written in the book (one of the four) "I'm Stephen King and I approved of this Limited edition"....signed...dated by King...

P.S.

Turn to the last page for an excerpt from a new story I wrote.

<-----------------turns to last page

"The..."

Merlin1958
04-27-2017, 03:14 PM

However...

Ok, then add the qualifier "or Stephen King was directly involved in the approval process/production/distribution of the book". I believe all those examples were the first time any of stories saw print, and in some cases the only. (if The Plant or NLR have seen print in a non limited edition. let me know, as I would love to read them).

Sure you can say 1/1 is limited, but I think you have to differentiate between unique items and limited items. If you count unique items with the limited editions, then it pretty much a certainty that no one will ever have a complete set of limited editions. So basically I don't count rebound editions as limited editions. If the physical content (pages) came from another publisher, (and it wasn't already a limited edition), then I can't call it a limited edition for the sake of completeness.

I certainly don't see any Overlook Connection editions listed in the catalog. (or did I miss them?)

Can't we just celebrate the fact that it is a very unique and original collectible item with art never before done and bound in special material and in a different way than ever before seen? Then just leave it at that?

TravelinJack
04-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Can't we just celebrate the fact that it is a very unique and original collectible item with art never before done and bound in special material and in a different way than ever before seen? Then just leave it at that?

Yup, sure can. That's why I'm leading the bid. Mwuahahahaha. Why? Because it's unique, creative, but most importantly, it supports an awesome cause. Whoever wins this is going to be happy, two-fold. Bidderup good people, bidderup!

herbertwest
04-28-2017, 12:21 AM
I wonder the value of this book if Matt was to get it signed...

webstar1000
04-28-2017, 03:45 AM
I think it would be best for a very feel good auction for a very feel good purpose if we channeled the definition of a King S/L to another thread.
We have several related threads where a spirited discussion can be had.
Feel free to use the search option.

Can't resist the one last thing...

If Mr. King had written in the book (one of the four) "I'm Stephen King and I approved of this Limited edition"....signed...dated by King...

P.S.

Turn to the last page for an excerpt from a new story I wrote.

<-----------------turns to last page

"The..."

Can you F'in imagine? ANd he writes that little short story in his own hand?? PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Up to 1525.

Randall Flagg
04-28-2017, 05:17 PM
It is remote...but there is a very slim chance I can get Mr. King to sign this book. I'd say ~15% chance.
Bid accordingly.

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 05:28 PM

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 05:30 PM
It is remote...but there is a very slim chance I can get Mr. King to sign this book. I'd say ~15% chance.
Bid accordingly.

Serious? That's a pretty sweet deal even at 15%. I'd say that's going to raise it up quite a bit.

jsobanski
04-28-2017, 06:09 PM
I'm taking my shot, though the amount of interest in this makes me doubt my top bid will hold out but it's so unique I have to give it a try.

amd013
04-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Great, this surely must be up there in the highest price of a Haven fund auction!

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 06:33 PM
2550. Whew.

Aronstg
04-28-2017, 10:00 PM
This is amazing and wonderful!!!

wizardsrainbow
04-29-2017, 06:32 AM
I'm out. I'd dearly love to own this but WAY WAY too much money now.

Randall Flagg
04-29-2017, 10:08 AM
2550. Whew.
Rarefied air.

This is the highest priced auction we have ever had!

stroppygoblin
04-29-2017, 10:31 AM
You must be over the moon with this RF, certainly makes all the effort from everyone well worth while! Thanks to everyone who has bid on this and good luck to the final bidder!

Merlin1958
04-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Amazing!!!!

peripheral
04-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Unbelievable - what a year for the Haven Fund!!!!

Merlin1958
04-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Unbelievable - what a year for the Haven Fund!!!!

Yeah. While we will most likely not hit the heights we have in the past, this is by far the most we have ever raised for a single item, as RF stated for sure!!! There is still a "goody" in the works and on behalf of all of us here at the "TDT.Org Annual Haven Fund Raiser" many,many, many thanks for your support!!!!! Remember, El Jefe (Randall Flagg) is the heart and soul of this thing every year!!! However, I think I speak for him when I say, "We could not do this without the support and generosity of all the folks on this unique virtual community"!!!!

Thanks and keep it coming!!!! We're not done for this year yet!!!!!

Merlin1958
04-29-2017, 04:32 PM
A note from contributing artist, Glenn Chadbourne........................................ .

"Well that's just mahhhhvelous ( as they'd say up here) hearty congrats, Bill!!
And congrats to my fellow arteesties"!

What a guy, and what an item!!!

jsweet
04-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Very exciting. Way, way, way out of my price range, but great news!

TravelinJack
05-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Not much time left, it will be interesting to see the final bid amount and who the winner will be.

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 09:33 AM
It just bounced up to 2600 in the final stretch here. I was in it for a while but had told myself if anyone bid 2600 or higher I'd have to jump out. For a solid moment there, I thought I was bringing that bad boy home. Best of luck to the winner and big congrats to the Haven Foundation!

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 10:26 AM
60 minutes left folks.

Merlin1958
05-02-2017, 10:29 AM
This has to be the most amazing auction item revenue to date!!!!

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 10:45 AM
I'm so curious if there will be a last minute bidding war. Keeping an eye on it.

T-Dogz_AK47
05-02-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm so curious if there will be a last minute bidding war. Keeping an eye on it.

Ahoy mateys! Aye spy some booty upon yonder, ready to be pillaged by this fearsome buccaneer..... Arrrrrr! http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Halloween/keith.gif

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Ahoy mateys! Aye spy some booty upon yonder, ready to be pillaged by this fearsome buccaneer..... Arrrrrr! http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Halloween/keith.gif

Nice, this will be interesting. Best of luck Captain T-Dogz

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 11:25 AM
1 min 30 seconds

Merlin1958
05-02-2017, 11:27 AM
$2,600.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 11:27 AM
There it goes. Wow, whoever did that one bid at 2600 is the Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Congrats! Now announce yourself. :-)

Shannon
05-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Great job to everyone involved. Beautiful item.

herbertwest
05-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Holy fuck !
2.6K !

T-Dogz_AK47
05-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Holy fuck !
2.6K !

That be some fine loot! Arrrrrrrr! http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/Selina_catz/emoticons/costumes%20and%20animals/pirate.gif

Randall Flagg
05-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Thank you to everyone who looked, appreciated, bid, enjoyed.

This was a lesson learned for myself and the HF crew. The auction sale price is the highest we have ever had an item sell for. The cost to produce the book was also the highest we ever expended.

FWIW, I have book envy. I'm a bit like a surrogate mother who becomes reluctant to give up the baby. It's going to be hard to let this one go; but of course I will.

jsobanski
05-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I am the lucky one who gets to take this one home. This kills buying just about anything else big this year book-wise but it was well worth it for such an awesome book and a great cause. Thankfully my wife was on board with this too, otherwise it never would have happened for me.

It's my hope to eventually get this signed but we'll see. Regardless, I can't wait to see it in person.

TravelinJack
05-02-2017, 03:41 PM
I am the lucky one who gets to take this one home. This kills buying just about anything else big this year book-wise but it was well worth it for such an awesome book and a great cause. Thankfully my wife was on board with this too, otherwise it never would have happened for me.

It's my hope to eventually get this signed but we'll see. Regardless, I can't wait to see it in person.

My hat off to you! A cherished win, no doubt.

zelig
05-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Amazing price and congrats jsobanski. Also nice work on this one Jerome. I can completely understand how it might be tough to let it go.

Now let's try top this with the Firestarter. :smile:

peripheral
05-02-2017, 04:39 PM

Congratulations!!! You've got an incredible piece of artwork there, a really amazing homage to this book and to King. And congratulations on all involved in making that auction happen, Jerome et al.

stroppygoblin
05-03-2017, 12:50 AM
adding my congratulations, for winning such a fantastic item, for helping such a great cause, but mostly for having the greatest Wife in the world! :thumbsup:

Other than mine of course :evil:

St. Troy
05-03-2017, 05:07 AM
...adding my congratulations...mostly for having the greatest Wife in the world!

For allowing/enabling/assisting the purchase of an incredible piece of bookcraft that also happened to be expensive?

Mine hit me with a plastic hanger when I broached the possibility of buying a $9.00 CD from Amazon - does that count? ><

[As for this set - this really is fine - just a really nice piece of work.]

sentinel
05-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Congratulations, a very nice one-of-a-kind item!

Merlin1958
05-03-2017, 09:07 AM

Congratulations, a very nice one-of-a-kind item!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

LokiJake
05-03-2017, 01:14 PM

When I saw the details of this, I was very impressed. I'm glad to see it go to a good home and definitely a one of a kind that will be amazing in your collection. Congratulations!

Randall Flagg
05-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Imagine if you will...
Someone takes a Bill Hodges Trilogy, binds the books in nubuck leather (such that they still fit in the original slipcase ), has red moire endpapers bound in, binds in an original piece of art from a well known artist in each book, and one or more of the books is signed by King. ...

shaq
05-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Imagine if you will...
Someone takes a Bill Hodges Trilogy, binds the books in nubuck leather (such that they still fit in the original slipcase ), has red moire endpapers bound in, binds in an original piece of art from a well known artist in each book, and one or more of the books is signed by King. ...

Ooooh my word!!

TravelinJack
05-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Imagine if you will...

Yes please!

Rachel Readman
05-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Congratulations on winning this auction and thanks for your contribution and support for the Haven Foundation! I hope you enjoy your new books and I'm glad they are going to a good home.

I was so pleased to see this do well and proud to have contributed to such a beautiful production. I'm always happy to help with the Haven Fund each year. Jerome did a fantastic job of the rebinding and case, it turned out to be something special and unique.

A job well done by all!

Merlin1958
05-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Congratulations on winning this auction and thanks for your contribution and support for the Haven Foundation! I hope you enjoy your new books and I'm glad they are going to a good home.

I was so pleased to see this do well and proud to have contributed to such a beautiful production. I'm always happy to help with the Haven Fund each year. Jerome did a fantastic job of the rebinding and case, it turned out to be something special and unique.

A job well done by all!

Of course your art was the secret to its success!!!!

jsobanski
05-04-2017, 02:34 PM

A job well done by all!

Thank you! The pieces that you contributed are amazing and the books will definitely have a place of honor in my collection.

Patrick
05-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Beautiful production and a generous donation for The Haven Foundation. Great job all around!

herbertwest
05-05-2017, 12:25 AM

A job well done by all!

Talking about it, I think that I only saw pictures from 1 member with Rachel' statue.
Did anybody bought one? Would love to see more pictures from those in collections !