PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Haven Fundraiser Auction #17-Desperation-Signed by Stephen King & Don Maitz

Randall Flagg
04-17-2017, 12:24 PM
http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif
AUCTION LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201895316441?)

Up for auction is a US trade 1st edition, 1st printing of Stephen King's "Desperation". This book has original signed art by renowned artist Don Maitz. To top it off, Stephen King signed and dated the book!

Maitz creatively "distressed" the book.

Per Don Maitz:

Artist Note:
I did water based interior art as usual, then tried something unusual, which was painting on the page edges of the book opposite the spine then gold leafing over the page edges. This was a process done in Victorian times and I thought it would be cool to have a hidden image revealed as the pages were bent and teased. I have done gold leafing on picture frames and thought the same materials would work on a book as well. It appears not., as it looks like the gold leafing was left in a desert too long during a wind storm…appropriate to the content of the book, but not pretty.

The gold leafing application also caused some of the pages to stick together on the edges, They come apart ok with pateince, but reading this copy of the page turning King story adds a degree of “Desperation”.

While the results are not what I expected … they are results. The painting of Collie on the spine is eerie as he appears ghostlike and then he appears to grow as the pages are bent. As this is a horror novel and nasty things happened in the story, I hope the nasty things that happened in my attempts would still be acceptable. I added two painted bullet holes to disguise clamp marks and I created a bleeding wound in acrylic paint to restore a torn page. It all looks sort of on purpose, so perhaps it is ok.

The Dust Jacket did not receive my attentions.

mikeC
04-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Really really cool.

jsmcmullen92
04-17-2017, 02:15 PM
And up to 450 already! I'm holding it for now

Merlin1958
04-17-2017, 02:57 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

wolfehr
04-17-2017, 03:08 PM
Wow. Accolades to everyone involved in creating this. Truly an outstanding work of art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randall Flagg
04-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Wow. Accolades to everyone involved in creating this. Truly an outstanding work of art.

Thanks. I worked really hard on this one.

Ok, laugh, Maitz did the heavy lifting, King kicked in the signature....Jerome just sits back and the magic happens...

wolfehr
04-17-2017, 05:09 PM

Thanks. I worked really hard on this one.

Ok, laugh, Maitz did the heavy lifting, King kicked in the signature....Jerome just sits back and the magic happens...

Haha, behind the scenes work counts too :)

peripheral
04-18-2017, 02:44 AM
This is a great auction item... Nice work

webstar1000
04-18-2017, 03:09 AM
I bid up to $560... and wasn't going to at all but as soon as I seen that King wrote "TAK"... for some reason I want it. lol I just think that is bad ass. Like "number one fan" with Misery or when he drew the odd balloon on a copy of IT.

peripheral
04-18-2017, 03:11 AM
I bid up to $560... and wasn't going to at all but as soon as I seen that King wrote "TAK"... for some reason I want it. lol I just think that is bad ass. Like "number one fan" with Misery or when he drew the odd balloon on a copy of IT.

Yep. That extra touch turns it up...

webstar1000
04-18-2017, 03:24 AM
I went to 610... some one wants This. Auto shut down. Lol

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Man, this is cool!

Merlin1958
04-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Doing fairly well so far, but I think this should go for a bit more in the end. A lot of effort went into this production, FWIW. JMHO is all.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2017, 05:23 AM
I think $760 is very impressive!

webstar1000
04-21-2017, 05:25 AM
I think this book is pretty cool. I usually am not into this sort of thing.. but I am saying this will fetch more than a Grand now... and King writing TAK... will push it over. That is so damm cool!

EXPLORER
04-21-2017, 08:41 AM
I think $760 is very impressive!

I think this book is pretty cool. I usually am not into this sort of thing.. but I am saying this will fetch more than a Grand now... and King writing TAK... will push it over. That is so damm cool!

THERE ARE AT LEAST 12 UNIQUE BIDDERS CURRENTLY and NO TELLING how many WATCHERS waiting to jump in or SNIPE.....
THIS REMARKABLE SIGNED BOOK .. Is sure to bring more significant bids from those who wait in DESPERATION to add this to their collection.

herbertwest
04-21-2017, 10:41 AM
RF probably knows how many people have it in their watching list, but obviously not in their sniping tool.

Randall Flagg
04-24-2017, 12:04 PM
~15 minutes left.
540 views, 29 watchers.
$920

Merlin1958
04-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Over $1K. Not bad at all!!!!! Congrats to the winner!!!!