PDA

View Full Version : Darkly dreaming Dexter

chrismart83
02-09-2008, 03:05 PM

CPU
02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I haven't read any of the books, but the TV series on Showtime is great! I believe they are going to start showing it on CBS soon, but with all the editing they'l' do it'll probably suck :lol:

Erin
02-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Oooh I didn't know they had any Dexter books. I've never seen the TV show, but I plan on renting the DVD's soon. I've loved Michael C. Hall ever since I first watched Six Feet Under, so I'm really interested in Dexter. Let me know how the books are!

lobstrositysoup
02-09-2008, 06:08 PM
I really enjoyed Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Very dark humor, but excellent stuff. Sooner or later I'll pick up the next two. I'm also waiting for the reruns to air on CBS so I can finally watch the show.

CyberGhostface
02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
The books are pretty different. The first book is the closest to the show although there are a couple of drastic changes. The second season is only marginally similar to the second book in that they both have Doakes becoming a pain in Dexter's behind, and is later 'taken care of' by another killer. Although Doakes survives in the books. Speaking of which, I wasn't too crazy with how the second season ended with Doakes being killed off and Dexter blaming him for his crimes. I was under the impression that they were 'softening' Dexter from the books to make him more sympathetic to TV audiences but that made him a lot worse than the novel's incarnation, IMO. I'm very curious to see what route they're taking with the next season and if it follows the third book.

fernandito
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Is this the show about that serial killer that catches other serial killers?

CyberGhostface
02-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Yep.

Erin
02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I just finished the first season of the TV show yesterday! Wow, what a great show. I can't wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD.

I will be reading these books very soon. :nana:

Mattrick
02-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Darkly, Dreaming Dexter is a good read. I read it before the show started. Both are great at telling a story two different ways. The show only bought rights to the first book and changed thereafter. I picked up Dearly, Devoted Dexter but haven't read it yet.

Erin
02-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I've heard super good stuff about it. :thumbsup:

Ruki
02-15-2008, 06:42 AM
dexter is so cool. the books are a lot better but i love the way the show deviated from them, it's worth watching, but after you read the books. you have to read all of them because dexter in the dark was this great little surprise. you pick it up expecting it's probably an alright book, and out of nowhere it's just the perfect book to be reading.

Hannah
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
I watched season 1 before I picked up the book ... and I wasn't too thrilled with it. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it was the fact that I was reading the book whilst in the hospital, but it didn't seem to have the same umph that the show has.

I'm excited for season two though, I've heard it was pretty damn good.

Erin
02-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I've been watching season 2 online and absolutely love it. :rock:

Mattrick
02-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I watched season 1 before I picked up the book ... and I wasn't too thrilled with it. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it was the fact that I was reading the book whilst in the hospital, but it didn't seem to have the same umph that the show has.

I'm excited for season two though, I've heard it was pretty damn good.

That's because many plotlines were added in respect to the medium change. The whole Rudy getting involved with Deborah, LaGuerta dying were added for television. I thought the book was amazing when I first read it. The prose, getting inside Dexter's head is what makes the book so great.

cru
02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
ive read the first book and watched the first season on dvd.
i prefer the show, but the book was a fast and easy, enjoyable read. id recommend it for a road trip or something. a lot of alliteration goes on in that guys head.

blackrose22
02-28-2008, 03:41 AM
Just saw the first episode last on TV and it looks promising. Must get the books to see what they are like.

Erin
02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I've now watched both seasons of the TV show. I freaking loved it. I think it's so great that they actually have Dexter becoming more human in how he relates to others and experiences emotions. That growth is what makes the show stand out from others. They could have easily gone the formulaic route, but instead made it more in depth.

I went to the library the other day to get the first book, but it was checked out. I'm on a small waiting list for it.

Heather19
02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I've been watching the episodes now that they're airing on CBS, and I'm really enjoying it. But can someone tell me how the first episode ended. I ended up falling asleep and missed about the last 20min of it, and I was a bit confused when the second episode started. Was the killer from the first episode caught, or is he still on the loose (the one who kills without leaving any blood behind), and then something with finding a refridgerated vehicle, was that the killers, and then it also showed something about Dexter receiving a doll in the previews from the previous episode.

Erin
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I can't remember exactly how the first episode ended, but I can tell you for sure that the killer who doesn't leave any blood behind did not get caught. You get to deal with him for the rest of the season. :lol:

The refridgerated vehicle is what he uses to transport his victims in (hense his name the Ice Truck Killer). He puts in Dexter's freezer a Barbie doll cut into segments like he cuts his victims, as a way to show Dexter...I know who you are.

Heather19
02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Thank you so much, now it makes more sense.

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 04:32 AM
I've read all the books.. and I LOVE the show.. I bought the first season on DVD even tho, I'd already watched it. Now I don't have Showtime so I've missed the whole second season except for the first episode I think.

The Dexter from the books was a little different at first, but I read that the author changed the Dexter in the books to be a little more like the Dexter on the show. I think they're both great. I really wish they'd have done the serial killer from the second novel... that was the crazy doctor guy right? or was that the third one? I always get sequels messed up.

blackrose22
06-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Cant wait for the next season to see what changes they've made. The first two books I've read are good but think the changes they in the show are better. Must get the next book before the new season starts.

The Lady of Shadows
06-19-2008, 04:54 PM
how in the hell did i miss this thread???? :doh:

i love dexter to pieces. absolutely love him. i read the first book. then got it as an audiobook (and the guy reading it is amazing!). now i have all three on audio.

i rented season one from blockbuster after reading the first book and really liked it. i haven't seen season two yet (so i skipped the spoilers - and say thankya for using them!) and am debating whether or not to just pay for it from itunes or wait for the dvds and rent them.

in the meantime, i anxiously await the next novel. it's such a twisted concept and so fascinating. he knows who and what he is and just goes through life doing what he does. and, you know, if a couple of serial killers get killed in the process, hey whatever. that's just part of the code of harry. and i love the idea of a serial killer who can't stand the sight of blood. that just cracks me up. :lol:

i can't wait for the next book!

:)

Bev Vincent
06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
There were some changes between the first book and the first season, but it's fairly consistent. The whole Paul (Rita's ex) storyline doesn't exist in the novel, and the resolution of the ice truck killer is a touch different, as is Deb's knowledge of Dexter's nature after that event.

The second season is vastly different than the second novel. There are only occasional instances where they touch -- the remote cabin, for example, and Deb getting involved with a Fed, though the Fed character is much better drawn and far different on the TV series. Doakes' fate is quite different between the two as well.

Jimmy Smits will join the cast of Dexter in Season 3 as a Miami DA who teams with Dex to track a killer who affects both their lives directly. I hear that the third novel gets supernatural. I wasn't fond of what the novels do with Rita's kids, either. All in all, I prefer the TV series, which is a don't-miss.

Bev Vincent
07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Here's a trailer for Season 3 (http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/comic_con.do?source=m_dexter3_fb_0725_chatpage)

Erin
07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
wow! thanks Bev!

Season 3 looks awesome!

theBeamisHome
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
i actually liked what the novels did to Rita's kids. I think they should add it. It makes sense with the ex husband deal anyway.

razz
08-03-2008, 04:16 AM
the library doesn't have the first book, but i have the second. i'm gonna read it when i finsish insomnia. but i've sat here for the last 2 days watching Dexter on Demand to catch up. only the second season tho. they don't have the first :cry: i'm at where
he kills his mother's murderer with a chainsaw

and the pening credits cracked me up when i first saw them. how they kept making it look like he's killing someone, chopping hthem up, chocking them. making cutting an orange look sinister. :lol:

theBeamisHome
08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
yes. the opening sequence is genius.

Erin
08-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Oh yea! I love the blood dropping into the sink while he is shaving.

I have to admit, I was highly disappointed with Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Watching the show first ruined it for me a bit. The show is just sheer brilliance. I can't wait for Season 3.

Hannah
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah I thought the first book (the only one I've read) was nowhere near as good as season 1 of Dexter.

I can't wait for season 2 to come out on dvd. Screw waiting for network tv to air it!

Erin
08-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I watched Season 2 illegally online. :ninja:

Hannah
08-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I may have to do that too, if they wait any longer to release season 2.

Erin
08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
For some of the episodes, the only version I could find was from a Japanese website that was dubbed over in Japanese with English subtitles and there was a little purple kitten that would randomly appear and dance across the the screen during the episode.

razz
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM
:rofl:

theBeamisHome
08-05-2008, 10:37 AM
I may have to do that too, if they wait any longer to release season 2.

me too :ninja:

razz
08-05-2008, 12:17 PM
i'm set. i got on demand. tho i will probably have to go online for the first season.

Hannah
08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
i'm set. i got on demand. tho i will probably have to go online for the first season.

The first season was released on DVD, so you can just rent/buy it. Better than having Japanese dubbed w/ purple kittens dancing across the screen.

razz
08-06-2008, 06:18 AM
but i like dancing purple kitties. they're so kee-yute!

Hannah
08-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I bet you do. :)

razz
08-06-2008, 07:38 AM
:P

Hannah
08-06-2008, 07:45 AM
I mean, who wouldn't like dancing purple kittens?

razz
08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Erin?

Hannah
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Don't be sassing me. I'm pretty sure that Erin loves them too.

razz
08-06-2008, 08:02 AM
whatever you say :P

i'm gonna watch some more of season 2

Erin
08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Don't be sassing me. I'm pretty sure that Erin loves them too.

Of course I do. Shut up Razz.

:P

and i'm going to take a second here to just point out the fact that Michael C. Hall is freaking gorgeous. Yep.

theBeamisHome
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Michael C. Hall isn't exactly my type but i find myself attracted to Dexter... le sigh

razz
09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Don't forget, ladies and gentlemen, Dexter season three airs This Sunday!

theBeamisHome
09-22-2008, 06:15 PM
what???? I really wish i had Showtime... i still have to buy season 2 :cry:

razz
09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
i wish i could help you. I got season 2 o ndemand, but still have yet to see season one.

theBeamisHome
09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
aww man! and i have season one... just not with me.. its in jersey.. i've seen season one twice... i was supposed to buy season two too..

razz
09-22-2008, 06:33 PM
I've sat and watched the entire second season, then started over again. I've done this on more than one occasion.

theBeamisHome
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Dexter is great.. :wub:
i miss him...

razz
09-23-2008, 04:50 AM
I can send you some spoilers if you'd like. :P

I was talking about Dexter at school last week, talking about my project "The Dexter Experiment", and my teacher must have heard me, because she gave me a bunch of articles of Dexter from some magazine yesterday

theBeamisHome
09-23-2008, 04:59 AM
what's ur experiment?

Bev Vincent
09-23-2008, 05:11 AM
I saw a preview of the first episode of season three -- and it's going to be a good one, with a couple of more new crises for Dexter to deal with. The last line of the episode is a killer!

I just finished the third Lindsay novel. I wasn't terribly impressed with it. If I had been his editor, I would have advocated stripping out all the italicized "IT" sections and gone on from there. The core story was okay, but the supernatural aspects lead me to believe he's jumped the shark.

razz
09-23-2008, 05:14 AM
what's ur experiment?

you'll see when it's done. no promise that it'll be any good though. ^_^

theBeamisHome
09-23-2008, 05:15 AM
i felt basically the same way. i was kinda like "huh? that wasn't necessary." .... actually i hardly even remember what happened.. that's how much i rejected it :lol:

MrQuint
10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Don't forget, ladies and gentlemen, Dexter season three airs This Sunday!

I still can't get David Fisher out of my head when I see Dexter.

theBeamisHome
10-01-2008, 04:20 PM
i really wish i hadn't left the rest of season two at Nigel's.... stupid crazy ass bitch Lila burned down her fucking apartment to get Dexter to come to her. Gan, I hate her! and LaGuerta too! never have i been so blindsided. i really thought she had changed :cry:
anyways that's where i left off.

theBeamisHome
10-06-2008, 06:23 AM
i finished it!! :excited:
you cannot imagine my relief when Dexter finally killed that psycho bitch Lila. Ugh, i hated her from the first moment i saw her.. and Dexter kind of disgusted me while he was with her.
it was a great season... I am also glad to see Doakes gone.. now the only person i need them to get rid of is LaGuerta... Debbie made me like her more so i don't want her dead anymore
i can't wait to see what happens next.

razz
10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
not only was Lila
a psycho bitch. personally, i think she was fuck ugly.
and
Doakes dying kinda mad me sad. he was erratic, spontaneous, a real asshole, but he was cool, a good guy, and a really complex character. shame he had to die
Also
(damn, lots of spoilers)
Rita is Pregnant, so even if Dexter finally dies, they can continue the series. he has a heir :)
which i think would be a fucking awesome idea.
you think he'll ever tell Deb or Rita what/who he is?

theBeamisHome
10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
well in the books Deb knew and it didn't really ruin their relationship.. she can be whiny but i think she would still accept him. especially since she worshiped Harry and Dexter lives by the Code.
and you know what, honestly in the last two episodes or so i did really start to get Doakes.. maybe even sympathize. but then i thought maybe he was just being smart.
i've heard that people thought Lila was fugly and some that say she's beautiful... i hated the pouty lip thing... everytime they had sex i wanted to puke

hmmm... this makes me want to change my sig/av theme...

razz
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
to a "Lila's a Fuck-Ugly Bitch" theme?

I was laughign me head off when Dexter was imagining how Deb would react if he told her. :rofl:

theBeamisHome
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
:rofl: if only!

no just Dexter in general.

and it would be Fugly Psycho Bitch... can't forget the psycho... it's crucial

razz
10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
true. if i wasn't so fixated on The Doctor, I would change my sig to a Dexter theme.

razz
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
1. necropost :evil:
2. finally catching up on season 1 of the TV series :rock:
3. Been listening to Darkly Dreaming Dexter on audiobook, since the library doesn't have it. Is good, wonderful actually.

educatedlady
06-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I just started reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter and have Dearly Devoted Dexter waiting in the wings. Love the show and love the book so far.

Gris
06-16-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm not someone to tell anyone to not read something...

That being said, avoid the 3rd book like the plague. This is a clear case where the TV show mythos diverged from the book mythos and for good reason.

jayson
06-16-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm not someone to tell anyone to not read something...

That being said, avoid the 3rd book like the plague. This is a clear case where the TV show mythos diverged from the book mythos and for good reason.

I have to agree with Gris.

I had the third book spoiled for me (though spoilers don't really bother me).

I will probably not even wind up reading that one because I really hate that thing to which Gris refers.

Bev Vincent
06-16-2009, 06:48 AM
I started becoming disenchanted with the novels by book two, when he first started down a road with Rita's kids that I didn't care for. One of those rare cases of the TV series far exceeding the books.

Gris
06-16-2009, 07:41 AM
I started becoming disenchanted with the novels by book two, when he first started down a road with Rita's kids that I didn't care for. One of those rare cases of the TV series far exceeding the books.

Agreed.

The TV shows doesn't touch on it AT ALL and it's a good thing.

That is just one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the latter books.

2nd at least had a decent "Dexter" plot. The 3rd book didn't even have that.

Darkthoughts
08-05-2009, 04:55 AM
I disagree entirely. I love the books and feel pretty "meh" about the show.

I like the feel of the show, but it's gone off on so many sentimental tangents from the book. I prefer that in the book Dexter is devoid of emotion, it's much more realistic for a psychopath.

Yes, I wasn't really expecting Dexter In The Dark to take such a supernatural route, but y'know I stuck with Lost and King does it in most of his stories and I thought Lindsay made it work. I've pre-ordered Dexter By Design.

Bear
08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I didn't bother reading this entire thread and just wanted to give my opinion of the series that is Dexter.

I thought the series has amazing potential until the last book. When they brought in the 'Dark Passenger's orgins and all that supernatural cult shit, it kind of jumped the shark.

Anyone else feel the same about this?

Jeff Lindsay said that he is releasing the next book in September which is entitled Dexter by Design. The fifth volume is supposed to be released by 2011.

Darkthoughts
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
On Amazon it looks like Dexter By Design is already out in the US: Dexter by Design: Amazon.co.uk: Jeff Lindsay: Books

I pre-ordered the UK edition and it's due for delivery 24th-26th August :)

As I said in my post above, I didn't expect the last book to take that route, I guess you could say he jumped the shark, but I still enjoyed it enough to keep reading.

Gris
08-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I've said it in the thread begofe, but I agree. I read all of the 3rd book, but really did not think it belonged in the Dexter series.

Bev Vincent
08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
There were things that happened in the second book that I didn't care for (particularly with respect to Rita's kids) and the third book was just beyond the pale. Unless I hear a rave review for the fourth book, I'm done with the book series. Still love the TV show, though, and this year looks good, with Lithgow.

Gris
12-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Just finally got to see the finale tonight. There hasn't been any action in this thread since the season started, but my god the finale really shook us up. Totally did not expect the ending, but then in hind-sight, yeah, I did.

If anyone wants to discuss, I'd be glad to have a more in depth conversation about it.

Bev Vincent
12-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Go back and watch the final scene between Dexter and Trinity again with the knowledge of what has already happened. It makes that scene so much more significant. I agree that it was a truly mind-blowing finale.

Gris
12-17-2009, 07:56 AM
I agree Bev. When Trinity said "The Cycle is complete" I thought he was talking about him and his issues and how Dex was humoring him by following Trinity's ritual with the train and music.

Then he got home and I see what he REALLY meant.

The only thing I'm confused about is the jumper. He took the kid, he used Rita for the bath tub, and Dex was the bludgeoner, but who was the jumper? Was that supposed to be his daughter shooting herself?

Darkthoughts
04-29-2010, 01:30 PM
There were things that happened in the second book that I didn't care for (particularly with respect to Rita's kids)

Actually, that's one of the main reasons I prefer the books over the show. Obviously psychopathic children is taking it a bit far for a mainstream tv show and I appreciate in that respect why they chose to alter the story there, but it is so important to what's happening in the books - to the character of Dexter himself. It does piss me off when a tv show takes a book and completely rewrites everything in it bar the title and the names of the characters...True Blood is another example. If you're going to do that, be original and come up with your own concept from the get go.