PDA

View Full Version : Recommended King audiobooks?

CyberGhostface
03-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Have some free Audible credit. One of the books I'm planning on getting is IT, was curious if there are any other recommended King audios in terms of performance from the reader. I'm not doing the DT series fwiw.

If anyone's listened to Weber's IT, that's probably the standard I'm looking for. Not crazy about readers who go too far in their dialogue and making silly voices but also not for ones who just read the whole thing in monotone.

ladysai
03-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Frank Muller was an excellent audio performer and he did the first 4 DT books, The Green Mile, Different Seasons, and Black House. (Perhaps others as well..)
I highly recommend all his work.

CyberGhostface
03-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Thanks, ended up picking Black House.

fernandito
03-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Has anyone ever done the audibook for Desperation? It's my favorite non-DT SK book and I've always wondered how it is.

CyberGhostface
03-31-2017, 08:35 AM
Yep, SK read it himself.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Desperation-Audiobook/B01AVG9FQM

There's also an abridged version by Kathy Bates but IDK if that's out of print.

Bev Vincent
03-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Bag of Bones is terrific in audio -- read by King and in first person, so it really makes the story seem intimate.

Ben Mears
03-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Ron McLarty does a nice job with 'Salem's Lot. I will be checking out James Franco reading The Dead Zone when it becomes available in late April.

mikeC
04-03-2017, 12:10 PM
It would be easier to list the not-so great King narrators then the good ones since they usually pick such great ones.

Holter Grahmn, McClarty, Mueller and Lindsay Crouse are amazing.

Some famous folks were good too. Frances Sterhagen, William Hurt, Bronson Pinchot.

Some weren't: Anne Hache, Willem Dafoe, I thought Sissy Spacek was recorded too low.

Steve and Mare Winningham are my favorites though.

CyberGhostface
04-18-2017, 06:35 AM
There's a 50% off sale at Audible for those interested.

mikeC
04-18-2017, 08:41 AM
I'm not seeing it. I am trying to GoT cheap for my old lady but prices look the same.

TravelinJack
04-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Bag of Bones is terrific in audio -- read by King and in first person, so it really makes the story seem intimate.

I second this. Not only a great story but King does narrate it really well. I also really recommend King's On Writing. Also self narrated, talk about intimate since it's him sharing his past. Lots of fun too!

CyberGhostface
04-24-2017, 07:04 AM
I'm not seeing it. I am trying to GoT cheap for my old lady but prices look the same.

You have to be a member. Today's the last day though.

mtdman
08-29-2017, 07:16 PM
King narrated Needful Things and it was fantastic. Most of King's narration is great. Except Wind Through the Keyhole. He sounded really tired on that one. And disinterested.

Duma Key is fantastic, imo. Salem's Lot is also very good. Will Patten narrates 3 or 4 King books and they are all horribly done. Not sure how he got to ruin so many books but he did. I think he did all 3 Mr Mercedes and Dr Sleep, which somewhat explains my dislike for those books.

Heather19
08-30-2017, 08:23 AM
I didn't mind him for the Mr. Mercedes books, but he was a horrible choice for Dr. Sleep. He has that hard boiled detective voice which I thought worked for those books, but they really should have chosen someone with a softer kinder voice for Danny Torence. I was pretty indifferent about Dr. Sleep the first time I read it. I hated it as a sequel to The Shining, but as a standalone book I didn't think it was horrible. Well when I did a re-read and listened to the audio book, it really made me dislike the book as a whole. I'm not sure if it was the horrible narration, or that the story was just bad :lol:

Zidan
10-04-2017, 10:01 AM
I picked up the audiobook for Everything's Eventual recently and listened to the title story as I was working my way through the Dark Tower series. The first person narration for Dinky was phenomenal and really got me into the short story. I believe it was Justin Long who did the narration.

Others I enjoyed include: Eli Wallach's narration for Insomnia (his voice worked well for Ralph & the little bald doctors) and everything Frank Muller touched.

Brian861
10-11-2017, 04:18 AM
Frank Muller was an excellent audio performer and he did the first 4 DT books, The Green Mile, Different Seasons, and Black House. (Perhaps others as well..)
I highly recommend all his work.

He also did The Talisman which I'm currently listening to :)

Brian861
10-11-2017, 04:19 AM
It would be easier to list the not-so great King narrators then the good ones since they usually pick such great ones.

Holter Grahmn, McClarty, Mueller and Lindsay Crouse are amazing.

Some famous folks were good too. Frances Sterhagen, William Hurt, Bronson Pinchot.

Some weren't: Anne Hache, Willem Dafoe, I thought Sissy Spacek was recorded too low.

Steve and Mare Winningham are my favorites though.

I really enjoyed Dafoe's reading.

redman
10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
I listened to most King books, I even listened to him read the 1st 3 Tower books and he is my favorite reader. I enjoyed Drunken Fireworks it was hilarious but I can't remember who read it

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Zidan
10-12-2017, 10:11 AM
I listened to most King books, I even listened to him read the 1st 3 Tower books and he is my favorite reader. I enjoyed Drunken Fireworks it was hilarious but I can't remember who read it

I just finished that one and really enjoyed it. Read by Tim Sample.

redman
10-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Yes that's him

Bev Vincent
01-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Michael C. Hall to narrate first unabridged Pet Sematary audiobook (http://ew.com/books/2018/01/22/stephen-king-michael-c-hall-pet-sematary-audiobook/)

Brian861
01-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Michael C. Hall to narrate first unabridged Pet Sematary audiobook (http://ew.com/books/2018/01/22/stephen-king-michael-c-hall-pet-sematary-audiobook/)

He should do pretty well. I'll be picking it up.

Edit: Also looks a new Mass Market PB cover and Turtleback release on the 31st of this month as well.

amd013
01-31-2018, 01:17 PM
Other then some short stories, (blood and smoke, L.T.'s theory of pets, the stationary bike, a face in the crowd, etc), I have never listened to any full length novels. I always listed to them in the car while commuting to work. Now I have a car that doesn't have a CD player (wasn't even an option). Its got a few USB ports. So for a guy living in the past who loves his CD's, is there an convenient alternative for listing to (SK) books in the car? Are there USB sticks preloaded with SK MP3's available?

Heather19
01-31-2018, 05:43 PM
Do you have a smart phone and a library card? I use the Overdrive app all the time for audiobooks. You just put in your library card info and then you can download the audiobooks straight to your phone for 2 weeks.

firemonkey66
02-01-2018, 03:14 PM
I’m listening to the audible audiobook for the tommyknockers read by Edward herrmann, and it’s really well done. He does a great reading.

amd013
02-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Do you have a smart phone and a library card? I use the Overdrive app all the time for audiobooks. You just put in your library card info and then you can download the audiobooks straight to your phone for 2 weeks.

Do you download it from your local library? Or is it from the Overdrive app, and it accepts any library card?

Don't have card currently, but been meaning to get one, if nothing else then to borrow some of the random S/L limiteds I got from CD.

Heather19
02-06-2018, 01:48 PM
I use the overdrive app, but you need to put in your library card number to access it. I'm not positive, but my library is part of C/W Mars network, so I get access to anything they have available. Other libraries might be different and I have heard that some are not accepted so maybe check with your library first.

Eternal Unity
05-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Pet Sematary by Michael C. Hall
Bag of Bones by The Author

Brian861
05-05-2019, 12:11 AM
Pet Sematary by Michael C. Hall
Bag of Bones by The Author

Hall did and excellent job with Pet Sematary. Especially while reading as Jud.

Heather19
05-07-2019, 05:06 AM
Almost finished with Dolores Claiborne. I've never read the book before but it seems very fitting to the audio format since your basically just sitting there listening to her tell her story.