PDA

View Full Version : What if King wrote The Dark Tower VIII *end of series spoilers*

cozener
01-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Even with my lukewarm opinion of the last three books I would still buy an 8th book in the series. I think most of us would. But would you hesitate? Would you get a general consensus from critics, communities like this one, or from a friend before making the decision to buy that next book?

Still Servant
01-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Are you talking about an 8th book of the Dark Tower series?

Hell yeah we would buy it. I'd hate to speak for everybody here, but I'm pretty sure we would be all over an 8th book despite what some may think about the last 3 (which were fine in my opinion).

This is Dt.com, would expect anything less?

cozener
01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
The poll has no choices for not buying it at all. I'd buy it too. But I had to think about it. Its not whether or not you would buy it that I'm really questioning. I just want to know if you'd get other opinions first.

OchrisO
01-18-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd probably read it out of curiosity, but I'd be disappointe dif he wrote another one.

Still Servant
01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
The poll has no choices for not buying it at all. I'd buy it too. But I had to think about it. Its not whether or not you would buy it that I'm really questioning. I just want to know if you'd get other opinions first. :)

Oh, I see.

That being said, the only options I see would be if I should run or sprint to my nearest book store.

I suppose I could think about inventing some kind of teleportation device, but by the time I researched, bought the equipment and developed the skill to pull off such an endeavor, I could have just driven my car.

:orely:

TerribleT
01-18-2008, 10:46 PM
That being said, the only options I see would be if I should run or sprint to my nearest book store. :orely:

Well put!!!!!:clap:

Wuducynn
01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
There already is an 8th book...its called The Little Sisters of Eluria.

Letti
01-19-2008, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't like to see a 8th book at all but if it existed I couldn't help.. I would buy it immediately.

jayson
01-19-2008, 04:47 AM
There already is an 8th book...its called The Little Sisters of Eluria.

Good answer Matt.

I also agree with what Letti said. I don't think there needs to be another book, but if there were one I would obviously feel compelled to read it.

Brice
01-19-2008, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't want him to do another book, but if he published the DT XXXVII I'd be at the book store a week early waiting on it. :lol:

Letti
01-19-2008, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't want him to do another book, but if he published the DT XXXVII I'd be at the book store a week early waiting on it. :lol:

:couple:

Brice
01-19-2008, 06:25 AM
:huglove:

TerribleT
01-19-2008, 06:51 AM
I'd love to see more of the tangents filled in and expanded on. I'd love to know more about what happened to Roland leading up to Tull etc...

sarah
01-19-2008, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't like to see a 8th book at all but if it existed I couldn't help.. I would buy it immediately.

same here, Letti.

I want see more comics not an 8th book.

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 09:39 AM
There ALREADY IS an 8th book! LIKE I SAID!

Brice
01-19-2008, 09:44 AM
A short story is not a book.

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Novella...short story...etc. Still its an eighth chapter (albeit small) in the Dark Tower saga.

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Would I buy an eighth full DT novel? Hell yeah! Do I think it will ever happen or is really needed? Hell no! Like Maerlyn said above we've got the great new Dark Tower stuff coming in the comics. Man, March can't get here fast enough.

cozener
01-19-2008, 10:58 AM
There ALREADY IS an 8th book! LIKE I SAID!Ok then, you picky fucker. Lets just say its a book that comes after the last book and it starts with "The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts..."

jayson
01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
There ALREADY IS an 8th book! LIKE I SAID!Ok then, you picky fucker. Lets just say its a book that comes after the last book and it starts with "The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts..."

I think it's pretty clear from the poll results that all of us would feel the compulsion to read anything else SK published about the DT/Roland, be it a short story, a 10,000 page novel or a trading card. The real question is, do we need another novel? I agree with Letti & Maerlyn that the answer is no.

alinda
01-19-2008, 11:02 AM
:clap: me too!

TerribleT
01-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I need another. I wanna know a lot more about a whole lot of things

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Ok then, you picky fucker. Lets just say its a book that comes after the last book and it starts with "The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts..."

I'm not picky, but I'm definitely a fucker.

sarah
01-19-2008, 07:56 PM
hmmm, i might just need to quote you, All_Hail... :lol:

ATG
01-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I would, and it seems like that window is open.

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM
hmmm, i might just need to quote you, All_Hail... :lol:

:harrier:

sarah
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
you know if you don't win the necklace, i might just buy another one for you, all fo special like

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I would, no doubt

Daghain
01-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Would I buy an eighth full DT novel? Hell yeah! Do I think it will ever happen or is really needed? Hell no! Like Maerlyn said above we've got the great new Dark Tower stuff coming in the comics. Man, March can't get here fast enough.

Absolutely.

Wuducynn
01-29-2008, 04:49 PM
you know if you don't win the necklace, i might just buy another one for you, all fo special like

Oh thats sweet of you, but theres really no need for that. :harrier: Hey, I noticed my quote is gone...have I fallen out favor?

MonteGss
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Without hesitation.

However, we don't need another book though. Comics and a potential follow up to Black House is all I need. :)

fernandito
02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
How would you feel if a hypothetical situation gave itself out, and Stephen King went ahead and wrote The Dark Tower VIII? Would you pick it up? Would you cry out in frustration because VII is the only ending?

Well, let's hear it!

Madagascar
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Wait, VIII is 8 right? I suck at Roman Numerals.

Kind of on the fence, though. He made a big deal about he was a close to a happy ending as he could get, to leave the series with that one thought in your head...it seemed very final. I'd read it, but I'm afraid it'd spoil the ending of DT7, I love how open SK left it. Time will tell, I guess.

EDIT: Any source?

fernandito
02-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, VIII is 8 :lol:

Great answer. Me, personally, I'm a sucker for closed, "happy" endings, so I'd pick this up and devour it with rabid euphoria.

Thanks for responding!

Aaron
02-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Is this meant to be humorous, or are you basing this on something?

I only ask because I fear that without any basis for conversation it might be deceiving to less-informed members.

fernandito
02-08-2008, 03:07 PM
No, Aaron , it is not meant to be humorous. I'm just asking how people would react to a hypothetical (albeit extremely unlikely) releasing of a 'final' installment in the DT series.

*edit*

I apologize for the confusion. I'll rewrite my initial post and ask a mod to revise the title of the thread so as to avoid further turmoil.

fernandito
02-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Alright, I edited my first post.

Whichever mod has power in this forum : Can you please change the title of the thread to "What if King wrote The Dark Tower VIII"?

Thanks! :D

John Blaze
02-08-2008, 09:00 PM
i don't see why it needed to be changed....

anyways, If King did write it, I'd read it happily, yet lie and say I didn't, and then rabidly argue with anyone who said they did.

"VII IS the end, dumbass!"

childeluke
02-08-2008, 09:23 PM

anyways, If King did write it, I'd read it happily, yet lie and say I didn't, and then rabidly argue with anyone who said they did.

Agreed...however I wouldn't mind seeing some more books set in mid-world or offshoots there of.

John Blaze
02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
yeah we talked about that in a different thread

ATG
02-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Wishes this was a poll.

Fooin' ay I'd be into it.

Ruthful
02-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes to both.

fernandito
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes to both.

Would you mind elaborating a little, Ruth? I like hearing what you gotz to say :pirate:

Ruthful
02-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks.

Sorry for the brevity.

I'm probably going to embroider that observation, but right now I'm in a bit of a mental fugue so I think I'll just take some OTC decongestants and call it a night.

jayson
02-09-2008, 02:48 AM

and i'm sure DT-8 would come with a 25 page foreword warning us "don't read this, i had to write it but don't read it, please don't read it, seriously, you don't want to read it, but it is there, you can read it, just don't read it."

Letti
02-09-2008, 02:49 AM

and i'm sure DT-8 would come with a 25 page foreword warning us "don't read this, i had to write it but don't read it, please don't read it, seriously, you don't want to read it, but it is there, you can read it, just don't read it."

:rolleyes:

:lol:

John Blaze
02-09-2008, 04:31 AM
:rofl:

Storyslinger
02-09-2008, 06:30 AM
I'd buy it without question. I'm a junkie.

fernandito
06-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Since we're on a DT-thread Bump-A-Thon...

*bump*

sarah
06-22-2008, 07:12 AM
great thread, Feevie. I edited the title a bit as some of the earlier posts discuss the ending of DT VII.

as for an eighth and final final book...I don't think king could do it in one book. I think the do over would include an introduction of many new characters and would need another three to four books at least to go through the next full loop.

fernandito
06-22-2008, 07:17 AM
And what you be inclined to pick it up? Or is Book VII the end of your journey to the Tower?

MonteGss
06-22-2008, 07:19 AM
I personally would probably pick it up but I wouldn't like it. Even before buying it I wouldn't like it because DT7 is the end.

I'm a sucker though.

fernandito
06-22-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm a sucker though.

And that's the name of the game, isn't it? :lol:

Just the way we couldn't heed King's warning and stop at the coda, we probably won't be able to resist picking up Vol. 8 - even if we didn't want to.

sarah
06-22-2008, 07:31 AM
hell yeah, I would pick it up. I would lock myself away and read every last word before I emerged from my corner and then I would feel all dirty about it. But I would still buy it and read it in a snap.

Hi. I'm sarah and I'm a junkie. :D

MonteGss
06-22-2008, 07:33 AM
I'd still not like it though. :)

fernandito
06-22-2008, 07:33 AM
I would lock myself away and read every last word before I emerged from my corner and then I would feel all dirty about it.

:rofl:

Hi. I'm sarah and I'm a junkie. :D

*shakes hand*

hi there! Can i buy you a cosmo? or perhaps an IHOP coffee? :evil:

sarah
06-22-2008, 07:35 AM
yes to both. meet me in vegas?

:wub:

fernandito
06-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I'll see you there!

*Thank you for choosing Southwest Airlines*

sarah
06-22-2008, 07:39 AM
:lol:

The Lady of Shadows
06-22-2008, 01:10 PM
oh yeah. i'd buy, i'd read it (and everything that followed it). but first i'd have to do yet another reread so it might take me as long as, say, a week to get to it.

and i'd come here and make a thread to bitch and moan about this and that. and did you guys think that was right or wrong. and what does it all mean anyway?

and then i'd sit down and read it again. and again. and again. until i had it memorized. just like with these. because let's face it. he wouldn't right it if the turtle weren't singing it or the bear weren't screaming it.

right?

Ves'Ka Gan
06-22-2008, 09:51 PM
If it happened,I'd throw a hissy fit...tell anyone who would listen that 7 *ended it g'dammit!* and so on...and then I'd go buy it. I'd buy it hardback even (I rarely buy hardback...I like getting the most book for my buck) and read it as fast as possible.

If I loved the hell out of it, I'd say it was good. If it was good I would say it was ok, and if it sucked I'd tell every one with all the self-righteousness I could muster that it sucked, and I was right and King was jsut trying too damn hard.

BUT--Like Turtle said...I have a relative amount of faith that King wouldn't be the type to write soemthing for the sales, or even because people "wanted it".

John_and_Yoko
06-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I think there already IS a Dark Tower VIII, but it's not called that....

ZGDK
06-23-2008, 03:30 AM

Which one? Insomnia?

Girlystevedave
06-23-2008, 04:42 AM
First I would complain that SK had lost his damn mind, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Then I'd sit and admire the pretty cover and smell the pages before diving right into it.
Just like finishing VII, I'd be excited and terrified.....although I'm sure this would leave more disappointment at the end. Then, I'm sure I would feel cheated and wished I'd never picked it up.

ManOfWesternesse
06-23-2008, 05:03 AM

Which one? Insomnia?

Revised Gunslinger - I should imagine?

Wuducynn
06-23-2008, 06:45 AM
How would you feel if a hypothetical situation gave itself out, and Stephen King went ahead and wrote The Dark Tower VIII? Would you pick it up? Would you cry out in frustration because VII is the only ending?

Well, let's hear it!

I'd definitely read it, because for him to do something like that would make it a really big deal to me.

Matt
06-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Matthew!! Nice to see you man. :couple:

Tvmorbid
06-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty happy with the ending we'ew got already, but I'm a sucker for continuing series' so I would buy it if it ever came to be :D

Brice
06-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I'd bitch and complain, but I'd also be first in line for it. :lol:

...And it's good to see you again, dude. :D

John_and_Yoko
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Which one? Insomnia?

Revised Gunslinger - I should imagine?

Bingo. I had to go back and look at it after I finished the series.

LadyHitchhiker
06-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I would TOTALLY read it.

LadyHitchhiker
06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
First I would complain that SK had lost his damn mind, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Then I'd sit and admire the pretty cover and smell the pages before diving right into it.
Just like finishing VII, I'd be excited and terrified.....although I'm sure this would leave more disappointment at the end. Then, I'm sure I would feel cheated and wished I'd never picked it up.

That's exactly how I felt at the end of 7... I would think 8 would make me feel a little bit better though and that's why I would read 8...

Girlystevedave
06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
See, I have a feeling that whatever was done with VIII would leave me feeling disappointment. Someone else said it right, when they said the entire loop would have to be redone, a new journey if you will. I think that is the only way I would be satisfied. Even then, I would probably feel angry over it. The same way a movie remake/sequel with different actors would piss me off. :lol:

Wuducynn
06-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Matthew!! Nice to see you man. :couple:

...And it's good to see you again, dude. :D

:harrier:

MonteGss
06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Saw this...thought I'd link it.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1860

I look through Gilead a lot. :)

BillyxRansom
06-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I personally would probably pick it up but I wouldn't like it. Even before buying it I wouldn't like it because DT7 is the end.

I'm a sucker though.

lol'd.