Good luck everyone.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/gwendy-drawing-entry.html

George at C-Springs
03-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Good luck everyone.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/gwendy-drawing-entry.html

George at C-Springs
03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Sorry for duplicate thread, RF hopefully deleting this one here in a little bit.

Roseannebarr
03-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Sorry for duplicate thread, RF hopefully deleting this one here in a little bit.

saw your thread first. maybe that one should be deleted! Thanks for the information.

herbertwest
03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
I "cant" afford it, and therefore decided to pass. Although I'll admit that I considered trying and flipping it...

cit74
03-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Good luck all

Randall Flagg
03-06-2017, 04:36 PM
I "cant" afford it, and therefore decided to pass. Although I'll admit that I considered trying and flipping it...
Weird. The lottery is free...thus if you won you could "flip it" (after paying for it).
Maybe something was lost in the translation, but I'm confused.

To buy something, then promptly sell at a higher price. Typically used in the book, art, and automobile collecting circles.

herbertwest
03-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Weird. The lottery is free...thus if you won you could "flip it" (after paying for it).

To buy something, then promptly sell at a higher price. Typically used in the book, art, and automobile collecting circles.

Yeah I thought about it but don't really know. Still would have to pay upfront about 420€ (free shipping?), and would people buy it for more than this if they didnt get the lottery? Not sure.
Also, how would it work with CD : just changing the delivery address? But then if there is any issue....?

I probably am overthinking it and would be able to flip it for an extra 200e and therefore would be stupid not to do it.
I do have the money, but I just have a lot of travel expenses with the recent passing of my dad and the uncertainty of my wife's income as she's in the process of geting some of laid off work.

Any additional thoughts?

Randall Flagg
03-06-2017, 04:56 PM

Yeah I thought about it but don't really know. Still would have to pay upfront about 420€ (free shipping?), and would people buy it for more than this if they didnt get the lottery? Not sure.
Also, how would it work with CD : just changing the delivery address? But then if there is any issue....?

I probably am overthinking it and would be able to flip it for an extra 200e and therefore would be stupid not to do it.
The "spirit" of the lottery is a winner will be an overjoyed person who will keep the book (after paying for it). The facts are that people buy and sell everything.

CD is cool for doing this. There is no perfect solution-other than pricing the book so high that it would sell out, but have a reduced likelyhood of being "flipped".

Not speaking for CD, but if the S/L was $1.5K, and the lettered was $3.5K, then they would post a buying link...then wait for the "slings and arrows" of people complaining.

sharki69
03-06-2017, 05:21 PM
So the winner will win limited OR lettered ?

wolfehr
03-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Since the edition wasn't mentioned I assumed it's for the limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webstar1000
03-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Prob and S/l.... I assume they are sold.

Merlin1958
03-06-2017, 05:33 PM
IDK, CD is usually pretty good about doing the ringht thing for their loyal customers. Keep the faith I say.

Randall Flagg
03-06-2017, 05:38 PM
<--------------------Glad he's southern white trash and can have 5 grandmothers (no grandfathers, they all died), 19 aunts, 0 uncles (they all died). One sibling (how the hell is he still alive?) 126 cousins (all female-the boys/men all died), and a gardener (poor bastard doesn't know he's cursed...)

~151 entries...not counting my step-mother's side :)

Just kidding. about the entries, but WTf is up with all the males being dead?

Merlin1958
03-06-2017, 05:58 PM
<--------------------Glad he's southern white trash and can have 5 grandmothers (no grandfathers, they all died), 19 aunts, 0 uncles (they all died). One sibling (how the hell is he still alive?) 126 cousins (all female-the boys/men all died), and a gardener (poor bastard doesn't know he's cursed...)

~151 entries...not counting my step-mother's side :)

Just kidding. about the entries, but WTf is up with all the males being dead?

Substitute "He".................................. LOL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXiuiU1DH2Q

becca69
03-06-2017, 06:02 PM
So what happens if there are less lottery entries than books ... I know it's a long shot, just asking :unsure:

Randall Flagg
03-06-2017, 06:11 PM
So what happens if there are less lottery entries than books ... I know it's a long shot, just asking :unsure:
Then each winner would be (once again not speaking for CD, so don't quote me) be afforded the opportunity to buy additional copies.

Seems pretty far fetched that that they won't sell out...in fact...absurd.

wolfehr
03-06-2017, 06:14 PM

I can't imagine it'd happen, but if it did I think they'd let all the entrants have an opportunity to buy and then put it up for public sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beverly Marsh
03-07-2017, 05:12 AM
I wonder how many of the S/L's are available for the lottery? (I believe the lettered did indeed sell out) I KNOW that people who bought the last LRB title which are the Blatty Scripts were offered first chance at this. If 390 Blatty's were sold and it stands to chance that many of those people purchased one of these 350 S/L's then how many are leftover?
Just curious as I'm not worried ;)

webstar1000
03-07-2017, 05:27 AM
I bet there is less than 50 up for lottery... maybe even less than 25. Entries??? I imagine over a 1000!

Dan
03-07-2017, 11:54 AM
I wonder how many of the S/L's are available for the lottery? (I believe the lettered did indeed sell out) I KNOW that people who bought the last LRB title which are the Blatty Scripts were offered first chance at this. If 390 Blatty's were sold and it stands to chance that many of those people purchased one of these 350 S/L's then how many are leftover?

Not only those that purchased Blatty. Any purchase from Lonely Road. I purchased The Fall from them.

Beverly Marsh
03-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Not only those that purchased Blatty. Any purchase from Lonely Road. I purchased The Fall from them.

Ah, that's good! I believe they first mentioned buyers of the previous release (blatty)but then amended it to previous LRB customers in general.
I had forgotten that I ordered the Blatty Scripts so I was able to snag one of these!

Ivo
03-07-2017, 04:46 PM

I hope that is true. I purchased the Fall also, but I have not seen anything about any purchase from LRB that, makes you eligible. Only if you bought the last S/L they made.

Ben Staad
03-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Looks like tomorrow they will start notifying winners. I added my name to the draw but I am probably in the same position as Jeremy.

_PCC_
03-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Has anyone won this lottery? Me and everyone who entered on my behalf didn't win. One friend of mine who entered has not been notified either way.

Brian861
03-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Has anyone won this lottery? Me and everyone who entered on my behalf didn't win. One friend of mine who entered has not been notified either way.

Although I did not win, I received an email stating that all winners have be notified and all copies have been claimed. I believe 51 or 52 copies were available in the lottery.

wizardsrainbow
03-11-2017, 12:03 PM
I just have to point this out....maybe I am wrong (I hope so)....but it seems some people got an opportunity to buy this book ahead of time and were told NOT to divulge that fact, yet several people claim to have reserved a copy....Seriously, you ANNOUNCE that to the world? Well the world (CD/Lonely Road impt people in particular) is on this site and those people who announced they "got" the book....well you just may NOT ever get preferential treatment again because you broke the rules by announcing you got one. I would think the higher-ups at CD/Lonely would take notice of that fact.

Sorry, grousing a bit here...not my norm!

Brian861
03-11-2017, 12:20 PM
I agree, David as that was certainly stated in a certain correspondence. Hopefully the few in that particular case didn't spoil it for the many in the future. I think the opportunity made available having been a prior customer of LRB wasn't a secret though. CD did also provide a nice offer to those who didn't win via the lottery. Good on them I say!

T-Dogz_AK47
03-11-2017, 12:22 PM
The first rule of Fight Club.....

Brian861
03-11-2017, 12:25 PM
The first rule of Fight Club.....

Yep.

AKC
03-11-2017, 01:20 PM
I just have to point this out....maybe I am wrong (I hope so)....but it seems some people got an opportunity to buy this book ahead of time and were told NOT to divulge that fact, yet several people claim to have reserved a copy....Seriously, you ANNOUNCE that to the world? Well the world (CD/Lonely Road impt people in particular) is on this site and those people who announced they "got" the book....well you just may NOT ever get preferential treatment again because you broke the rules by announcing you got one. I would think the higher-ups at CD/Lonely would take notice of that fact.

Yeah, what he said.

ELazansky
03-11-2017, 01:24 PM

Yeah, what he said.

So first LRB customers who bought the last LRB book had a chance to buy the book. Then some other select individuals were offered the chance to buy the book before the others were offered to the general public via lottery? That's disappointing to hear.

AstroDad
03-11-2017, 01:29 PM
I didn't see anyone say they were given a chance to buy until after the lottery winners had started being notified or people who stated they had bought the other LRB book. My assumption was (and still is) that those that said they had secured one fell into one of those categories.

Either way, unless someone outright says they were offered something and didn't fall into one of those categories it seems to me this is only going to get people riled up over unfounded rumor, something I don't think CD deserves.

AKC
03-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Yeah, what he said.

So first LRB customers who bought the last LRB book had a chance to buy the book. Then some other select individuals were offered the chance to buy the book before the others were offered to the general public via lottery? That's disappointing to hear.

I am not certain that to be the case. Those that secured a copy were simply fortunate in the lottery proceedings.

If so, good to see and happy for those able to add this edition to their respective collections!

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-11-2017, 02:55 PM
I had my usual luck in the lottery - zippo. I think I 'won' a dollar once, but since that was the original price of the ticket, did I really win anything?

needfulthings
03-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Beverly Marsh on the CD tread posted they were able to get a S/L on 3/7/ 2017 at 12:25pm followed by others.... A full day before the lottery closed 3/8/2017.

Joe315
03-11-2017, 04:16 PM
People get excited and post things. These publishers do their best to ensure everything is fair but not everyone will be happy with the circumstances.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2017, 04:30 PM
I seem to recall Brian saying "I have plans for those of you who visit this thread often... good plans for your collection, maybe not so good for your wallet. Stay tuned...

Brian"

Not speaking about this particular book, but I do recall CD/Lonely Roads sending all kinds of special offers and links in the past with a request to keep the info/link a secret; only to have people not listen to their request. Someone always ruins things...

needfulthings
03-11-2017, 04:31 PM
People get excited and post things. These publishers do their best to ensure everything is fair but not everyone will be happy with the circumstances.

I believe the key words here are....
EVERYTHING IS FAIR.
I mean when Dave at Bett's questions the lottery. Sounds to me that over 300 were sold under the table!

Brian James Freeman
03-11-2017, 04:50 PM
I think there's definitely some confusion because I've seen people I know purchased the William Peter Blatty Script Book posting on here and elsewhere about ordering their copy of Gwendy's Button Box before the lottery was over -- and it caused confusion at that time.

LRB customers WERE offered their copies before the lottery was over because that's how I knew how many copies were left for the lottery. :)

After that, certain LRB customers who had purchased *almost* every previous LRB title but not the Blatty set were offered a copy due to their long-time support of the press.

Also, there were copies offered to the members of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club as a perk of their membership before the lottery was over. They pay $99 a year for exclusive special offers, advance notice of special projects, and many exclusive offers that the general public never sees including low run Limited Editions from other publishers that are never even offered for sale on the CD website. This year a special allocation of this Limited Edition happened to be one their perks. Even there, not everyone who wanted one got one, of course.

For those who didn't get selected via the lottery, I did the best I could to make as many copies available as possible. 51 available and 2300 entries is pretty good, I think. If the print run could have been 500 copies, I think everyone who really wanted one could have gotten one, but the print run is not something I control and it certainly wasn't a point I was going to push. I was just thrilled the Limited Edition proposal was even approved given how many proposals I know have NOT been these last few years!

(And I will never discuss proposals I know about, but we work in a very small pond in the grand scheme of the publishing world and other small presses talk to us and get advice about their proposals, so I get to be disappointed all the time about cool ideas that aren't meant to be. You have no idea, ha!)

I hope this information is helpful!

Brian

Br!an
03-11-2017, 05:11 PM
They asked to keep the link a secret. They never asked to keep the info a secret. The fact that people who ordered the Scripts were able to order was never a secret.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2017, 06:57 PM
They asked to keep the link a secret. They never asked to keep the info a secret. The fact that people who ordered the Scripts were able to order was never a secret.
But no harm (in the most mildest sense of the word) would have been done by people who ordered a copy waiting a few days to mention it. Ordering is a bit different than receiving (where it's always cool to be one of the first to post pics having the book in hand).

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-11-2017, 07:45 PM
I know it's a sore point, but the ONLY issue I have on this is a person buying the limited (either state), for the SOLE purpose of selling it at a profit, and have no desire at all to own the book for the love of collecting, or the fact that the authors are among their favorites, and want the book for these 'legitimate' reasons. I always think I might have had a fair shot at purchasing a lettered JOYLAND if by some mind reading technique they were only sold to actual collectors who wanted the books for themselves and not to make money off of. And I've read the 'it's a free country' explanations of this, which I agree with on principle, but not on an ethical level.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2017, 07:51 PM
I know it's a sore point, but the ONLY issue I have on this is a person buying the limited (either state), for the SOLE purpose of selling it at a profit, and have no desire at all to own the book for the love of collecting, or the fact that the authors are among their favorites, and want the book for these 'legitimate' reasons. I always think I might have had a fair shot at purchasing a lettered JOYLAND if by some mind reading technique they were only sold to actual collectors who wanted the books for themselves and not to make money off of. And I've read the 'it's a free country' explanations of this, which I agree with on principle, but not on an ethical level.
There's another thread for the discussion of buying to sell for a profit.

Who would buy a book for the SOLE purpose of losing money-selling it at a loss?

Brian861
03-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Beverly Marsh on the CD tread posted they were able to get a S/L on 3/7/ 2017 at 12:25pm followed by others.... A full day before the lottery closed 3/8/2017.

She, Lori, received hers via the LRB loyalty offer.

Brian861
03-11-2017, 09:40 PM
I think there's definitely some confusion because I've seen people I know purchased the William Peter Blatty Script Book posting on here and elsewhere about ordering their copy of Gwendy's Button Box before the lottery was over -- and it caused confusion at that time.

LRB customers WERE offered their copies before the lottery was over because that's how I knew how many copies were left for the lottery. :)

After that, certain LRB customers who had purchased *almost* every previous LRB title but not the Blatty set were offered a copy due to their long-time support of the press.

Also, there were copies offered to the members of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club as a perk of their membership before the lottery was over. They pay $99 a year for exclusive special offers, advance notice of special projects, and many exclusive offers that the general public never sees including low run Limited Editions from other publishers that are never even offered for sale on the CD website. This year a special allocation of this Limited Edition happened to be one their perks. Even there, not everyone who wanted one got one, of course.

For those who didn't get selected via the lottery, I did the best I could to make as many copies available as possible. 51 available and 2300 entries is pretty good, I think. If the print run could have been 500 copies, I think everyone who really wanted one could have gotten one, but the print run is not something I control and it certainly wasn't a point I was going to push. I was just thrilled the Limited Edition proposal was even approved given how many proposals I know have NOT been these last few years!

(And I will never discuss proposals I know about, but we work in a very small pond in the grand scheme of the publishing world and other small presses talk to us and get advice about their proposals, so I get to be disappointed all the time about cool ideas that aren't meant to be. You have no idea, ha!)

I hope this information is helpful!

Brian

FWIW, Brian, I think you/CD did an excellent job handling this. And as you stated on several occasions I believe, not everyone will be happy. Along the lines of you can make some of the people happy some of the time but never everybody all of the time. Membership and loyalty should be rewarded.

Brian861
03-11-2017, 09:41 PM

Exactly.

Beverly Marsh
03-15-2017, 05:46 AM
In my defense here(If I even need to defend myself) as both Brians said it was clearly stated on the production page that people who purchased the Blatty Scripts were going to be offered first chance at this. That is how I was able to get one and I said as much when I wrote my post about it. I apologize if anyone thinks I jumped the gun but it was not a secret. However, the link I was sent was a secret and that did NOT get shared with anyone.
This was my first direct from publisher S/L purchase and I was excited about finally getting an S/L at issue price. I don't appreciate being called out for it when I don't think I did anything wrong here. If others do then whatever. I'm still excited.

frik
03-15-2017, 06:05 AM
In my defense here(If I even need to defend myself) as both Brians said it was clearly stated on the production page that people who purchased the Blatty Scripts were going to be offered first chance at this. That is how I was able to get one and I said as much when I wrote my post about it. I apologize if anyone thinks I jumped the gun but it was not a secret. However, the link I was sent was a secret and that did NOT get shared with anyone.
This was my first direct from publisher S/L purchase and I was excited about finally getting an S/L at issue price. I don't appreciate being called out for it when I don't think I did anything wrong here. If others do then whatever. I'm still excited.

:thumbsup:

sk

becca69
03-15-2017, 06:28 AM

You definitely should not have to defend yourself and congratulations!

ke7285
03-15-2017, 06:33 AM

This was made very clear from the beginning about LRB, I was given a chance and did purchase a S/L for being a a member of the CDCC as Brian stated above a very small amount of book's was offered for this.

Brian861
03-15-2017, 09:07 AM

As you should be excited, Lori! Good for you and to everyone else who scored a copy!

cryptkeeper
03-15-2017, 04:21 PM

In my opinion, you did nothing wrong and congratulations on getting a copy.

herbertwest
07-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Wasn't GWENDY released as an ebook yet?

MLG
07-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Yes. It is available from Amazon for $6.99.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Yes, and also as an audiobook.