PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Hunchback Jack
01-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Numbered are all gone. AGE's are still available.

The remaining Lettered editions are being made available for purchase by lottery. That's a neat idea, I think.

Congratulations on another sold out edition, Paul and co!

HBJ

sullichin
01-18-2020, 09:32 AM
Got the numbered right before it sold out! On one hand I'm pretty mad at myself for spending the money at this time, on the other I'm ecstatic I was able to get in. I love Red Dragon and this edition looks amazing. My numbered Brother is like #372 so I couldn't get the same number. Oh well.

NiceM
01-18-2020, 09:36 AM
Congrats Paul. What a stunner.

RichardX
01-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Those are stunning. I must have got one of the last numbered as it disappeared right after I purchased. Hopefully no overselling situation.

swintek
01-18-2020, 09:41 AM
I didn't miss out after all! A friend agreed to get one for me and allow me to make payments. I am utterly thrilled at the moment. This is one of my favorite books, it looks beautiful and is SIGNED. You know who you are and I cannot say thank you enough! YES!!!!! :nana:

That's really wonderful. Congrats!

jeffingoff
01-18-2020, 09:44 AM
Congrats Paul! Those AGEs shouldn’t last that long either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firemonkey66
01-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Maybe a dumb question, but for the lettered lottery, if you submit that form 100 times, does that get you 100 entries? Or would it only get you one entry? Just curious:)

biomieg
01-18-2020, 09:54 AM
I am very happy that Paul decided to produce an AGE for this book. Suntup’s AGE’s are the only books I still collect (other than medical textbooks). Great choice of book and I love the DJ!

ICry4Oy
01-18-2020, 09:54 AM
Maybe a dumb question, but for the lettered lottery, if you submit that form 100 times, does that get you 100 entries? Or would it only get you one entry? Just curious:)

If you submit more than one entry, all entries are invalidated.

j/k

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-18-2020, 10:04 AM
What is 'Sanday'? Sounds like something Harlan Ellison would make up.

WeDealInLead
01-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Yeah, it's the day after Shatterday, dont you know anything yeesh.

MikeDuke
01-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Wow. Pretty impressive sell out. I agree they all look great and I am happy I got the numbered. And congrats to those who were able to get one today one way or another.
I don't know about the lottery but it's still beyond me anyway so good luck to all that enter.

sullichin
01-18-2020, 10:28 AM
What's the music used in the teaser video?

shaq
01-18-2020, 11:03 AM
Wow, I am in. Numbered bought. Very happy chappy. I like my Barnes and noble signed Cari Mora, but this is immense. Fab.

The artist edition looks pretty awesome too.

Brian861
01-18-2020, 11:07 AM
Amazing! What's the official sellout time? Like 27 minutes or less? Glad I was already on board for this one.

Br!an
01-18-2020, 12:45 PM
I missed the lottery info. Is there a link?

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson would be a good one, Paul.

zelig
01-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Thank you all!

One entry per person.

What is 'Sanday'? Sounds like something Harlan Ellison would make up.

Don't you know, it's a new day of the week I just invented! Thanks for spotting it, I fixed it.

What's the music used in the teaser video?

It's a track I purchased from a music/sound effects website. Not sure on who/what, etc.

Amazing! What's the official sellout time? Like 27 minutes or less? Glad I was already on board for this one.

28 minutes. This was the fastest sell out since Misery. It's been a fire hose day. Youch...

I missed the lottery info. Is there a link?

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson would be a good one, Paul.

https://suntup.press/rd-lettered-lottery-form/ (https://suntup.press/rd-lettered-lottery-form/)

CyberGhostface
01-18-2020, 01:39 PM
I appreciate the monthly installment option. I wish other publishers would follow suit, I can’t afford to pay $500 at once.

herbertwest
01-18-2020, 02:26 PM
Looks stunning !

Tommy
01-18-2020, 04:14 PM
I didn't miss out after all! A friend agreed to get one for me and allow me to make payments. I am utterly thrilled at the moment. This is one of my favorite books, it looks beautiful and is SIGNED. You know who you are and I cannot say thank you enough! YES!!!!! :nana:

That's really wonderful. Congrats!

I know! Mr. X is awesome!! :clap:
Be looking for an upcoming book sale from me, ha!

Brian861
01-18-2020, 05:00 PM
I appreciate the monthly installment option. I wish other publishers would follow suit, I can’t afford to pay $500 at once.

Yes. These would be beyond my reach without it it as well. I'm currently juggling three of 'em.

CyberGhostface
01-18-2020, 05:28 PM
I am curious if the show influenced the art at all. Both Hannibal and Will sort of look like Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy (at least closer to them than any of the film versions). And while the "chair of antlers" is a reference to a line in the book those who watch the show know that antlers are very prominent so it's an interesting visual to pick.

George at C-Springs
01-18-2020, 08:01 PM
Brother Paul, it's another fantastic design, production, and obvious labor of love … congrats. I was on when the site went live, added it to my cart … then threw my phone across the room and ran into the shower so I wouldn't succumb. I'm one payment away from an awesome SK find with another member here (shout out Greg!), his payment is pretty much the same as this payment, and my budget screamed NO!!!!!!!!!!!! to Red Dragon but damn that's a pretty book, even if I've never read it or even heard of it before yesterday.

I'm sitting here gently caressing my copy of The Road to sooth my nerves. Oh, and there's liquor involved. Even 11 hours later.

zelig
01-18-2020, 08:04 PM
Brother Paul, it's another fantastic design, production, and obvious labor of love … congrats. I was on when the site went live, added it to my cart … then threw my phone across the room and ran into the shower so I wouldn't succumb. I'm one payment away from an awesome SK find with another member here (shout out Greg!), his payment is pretty much the same as this payment, and my budget screams NO!!!!!!!!!!!! to Red Dragon but damn that's a pretty book, even if I've never read it or even heard of it before yesterday.

I'm sitting here gently caressing my copy of The Road to sooth my nerves. Oh, and there's liquor involved. Even 11 hours later.

Coming from me it might sound strange, but you made the right decision. If you didn't feel right about spending the money then it's probably best you didn't. Bottoms up!

George at C-Springs
01-18-2020, 08:16 PM
Coming from me it might sound strange, but you made the right decision. If you didn't feel right about spending the money then it's probably best you didn't. Bottoms up!

Yeah, well I caved to the Drawing of the Three print a couple of days ago so don't go patting me on the back too hard. :shrug: And cheers!!!

Garrell
01-18-2020, 08:22 PM
Lol

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-18-2020, 08:38 PM
I'd enter the lottery for the lettered DRAGON, but with my bad luck I'd probably win it and then where would I get the money?
But I really want it! It's one of the best books I've ever read, and I did NOT want it to end.

zelig
01-18-2020, 09:14 PM
A perfect example of when you might NOT want to win the lottery.

jeffingoff
01-18-2020, 09:28 PM
It’s amazing what you’ve done, Paul. It really is.

Fsmdr
01-18-2020, 09:47 PM

Where did the other 25 copies go? I didn't get home until 6pm today. Was it all 25 copies sold today? It says only one is available.

MikeDuke
01-18-2020, 10:13 PM
No lottery for me either. I already have something else I am working on and there is no way I could do both. But I think it's an awesome idea.
Like all your ideas are Paul.

zelig
01-18-2020, 10:14 PM
It’s amazing what you’ve done, Paul. It really is.

:blush: And now for my next trick...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/IMG_9828.GIF

Where did the other 25 copies go? I didn't get home until 6pm today. Was it all 25 copies sold today? It says only one is available.

Yes, 1 copy was available for the public pre-order but opening up with a single copy is a recipe for disaster. The chance of it overselling is high, with multiple people frantically placing the order at the same time, so the fairest way was to offer it through a lottery draw.

Noxus35
01-19-2020, 04:26 AM
I discovered Jeff's youtube channel yesterday, really enjoyed his unboxing videos. ☺️

Also bought my first ever Suntup AGE of Red Dragon yesterday. It looks absolutely gorgeous Paul. 😎

jeffingoff
01-19-2020, 07:34 AM
I discovered Jeff's youtube channel yesterday, really enjoyed his unboxing videos. [emoji3526]

Also bought my first ever Suntup AGE of Red Dragon yesterday. It looks absolutely gorgeous Paul. [emoji41]

Well thanks for watching! And if you want a more immediate Suntup fix you could always buy Brother. Or get the I Am Legend AGE and enjoy that in a couple months while you wait for Red Dragon. Or you can buy the numbered I Am Legend and get super high in March when that baby shows up.

jeffingoff
01-19-2020, 08:49 AM
Hey Paul, I got a few stupid questions (these are the only questions I ever have).

Since you did a lettered-only edition, have you ever considered doing a numbered-only or an AGE-only?

Also (and this is stupidest of them all) have you ever considered doing a paperback edition?

zelig
01-19-2020, 09:05 AM
Hey Paul, I got a few stupid questions (these are the only questions I ever have).

Since you did a lettered-only edition, have you ever considered doing a numbered-only or an AGE-only?

Also (and this is stupidest of them all) have you ever considered doing a paperback edition?

No on the Numbered and AGE-only question, but YES on the paperback edition. I think some of you know of my affinity to paperback books, so that’s something I have considered and has been rattling around in my head for some time. I would love to do something like that but currently have no plans for it. I think it might just appear when it’s ready. Who knows.

shaq
01-19-2020, 11:25 AM

No on the Numbered and AGE-only question, but YES on the paperback edition. I think some of you know of my affinity to paperback books, so that’s something I have considered and has been rattling around in my head for some time. I would love to do something like that but currently have no plans for it. I think it might just appear when it’s ready. Who knows.

Bachman books seem quite fitting for a Suntup paperback release!! Oh yes!!

WeDealInLead
01-19-2020, 11:34 AM
That would be an incomplete set though.

Gene Wolfe set of New Sun books in paperback would be great.

Raenas
01-19-2020, 12:31 PM
That would be an incomplete set though.

Gene Wolfe set of New Sun books in paperback would be great.

Whenever those books come up in discussion, I shed an inner tear that I did not purchase the Folio Society SL set. Signed by author, artist and introducer (Neil Gaiman), just before Gene Wolf passed away last year. The whole set was £395 from the publisher, and I had a chance to buy it and passed it up... so stupid of me.

https://www.foliosociety.com/media/catalog/product/cache/c687aa7517cf01e65c009f6943c2b1e9/n/s/ns4_book.png

jeffingoff
01-19-2020, 01:22 PM

That’s wild!! I’d love to see a Suntup paperback.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-19-2020, 04:32 PM
Just finished reading BROTHER.
Gee wilikers, Mister Suntup, you sure know how to pick 'em! I practically devoured the last 50 pages!

Aremag
01-19-2020, 05:27 PM
Just finished reading BROTHER.
Gee wilikers, Mister Suntup, you sure know how to pick 'em! I practically devoured the last 50 pages!

Looks like you fall on the side of people who liked/loved the book.

Garrell
01-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Great book

Brian861
01-20-2020, 07:09 AM

Yeah, well I caved to the Drawing of the Three print a couple of days ago so don't go patting me on the back too hard. :shrug: And cheers!!!

I don't normally do prints but I'm seriously considering this one. It's one of my favorites in the series.

Roseannebarr
01-20-2020, 07:15 AM

Bachman books seem quite fitting for a Suntup paperback release!! Oh yes!!

I don’t think I would want an incomplete set. Rage would probably not be allowed to be reprinted

Brian861
01-20-2020, 07:21 AM
I'm not a huge fan of paperbacks but if something was offered without having to retain rights, no skin off my nose.

RichardX
01-20-2020, 07:38 AM
The numbered Red Dragon looks slightly different in the two photos. Is that a product of the lighting or is there some other explanation?

Roseannebarr
01-20-2020, 07:42 AM
I'm not a huge fan of paperbacks but if something was offered without having to retain rights, no skin off my nose.

Can’t see a lot of $$ to be made in a paperback set.

NiceM
01-20-2020, 07:49 AM

I think it's about books for Paul, and not dollars. Sure, dollars keep the boat afloat and facilitate stuff, but I think we can agree regarding Suntup Editions it feels it is about books and collecting first, money second.

MikeDuke
01-20-2020, 07:56 AM
The numbered Red Dragon looks slightly different in the two photos. Is that a product of the lighting or is there some other explanation?
I asked the same thing. It's the lighting.

webstar1000
01-20-2020, 08:00 AM

I think it's about books for Paul, and not dollars. Sure, dollars keep the boat afloat and facilitate stuff, but I think we can agree regarding Suntup Editions it feels it is about books and collecting first, money second.

Agreed. It has nothing to do with $... It's about leaving his mark on the world of collectable books and making fans happy. The $ is a necessary evil to make this all happen. He has to eat... but he clearly does this for passion. Just my thoughts of course.

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 08:11 AM
Shit! Decimal has found us!! Shoot to kill!

NiceM
01-20-2020, 10:14 AM

Enlighten an oblivious Dutchman

zelig
01-20-2020, 10:25 AM

Agreed. It has nothing to do with $... It's about leaving his mark on the world of collectable books and making fans happy. The $ is a necessary evil to make this all happen. He has to eat... but he clearly does this for passion. Just my thoughts of course.

Yes, I could expand on this but don't have the free time right now. Maybe some day.

In other news, the 'winning' entry for the Red Dragon Lettered lottery was selected at random and the person has been informed. I'm not going to post the person's name to protect their privacy, but I just wanted to update you that the last copy has now sold.

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 10:26 AM

Enlighten an oblivious Dutchman

I was responding to spam. But the comment has since been removed. Going forward I won’t try to be cheeky and just report the damn spam with the appropriate button at the bottom.

MikeDuke
01-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Congrats to the people who won the lottery.

webstar1000
01-20-2020, 11:03 AM

Just one no? He is on the FB Fan group and over the moon:)

MikeDuke
01-20-2020, 11:11 AM

Just one no? He is on the FB Fan group and over the moon:)
Oh I don't know Kris. You are probably right. Well, then congrats to him.

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Congratulations to the winner, if they are here and read this.

And thanks to Paul for giving someone a chance to pick up a lettered Edition and board that train.

HBJ

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 12:22 PM

And thanks to Paul for giving someone a chance to pick up a lettered Edition and board that train.

HBJ

And I hope you’re able to track one down and add it to your collection.

Munnecom
01-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Out of the twenty-five editions Suntup has published/announced thus far, which is your personal favourite?

For me, it’s a tie between the numbered Misery and Horns, though if the numbered Red Dragon is as soft and sexy as it looks, that might be a serious contender as well.

I’d love to hear what the rest of you (including Paul himself) think...

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 12:39 PM
Out of the twenty-five editions Suntup has published/announced thus far, which is your personal favourite?

For me, it’s a tie between the numbered Misery and Horns, though if the numbered Red Dragon is as soft and sexy as it looks, that might be a serious contender as well.

My votes in order of top favorites:
Rosemary’s Baby numbered
The Road numbered
Horns numbered
Brother numbered

I don’t own the Misery numbered editions.

MikeDuke
01-20-2020, 12:53 PM
My order is probably like yours Jeff. But of course that could all change when IAL The Time Machine and Red Dragon are released. But for now, I agree with your ordering.
P.S I forgot about HHH. On a design specturm, that would be near the top.
They are each unique in their own way so now that I think about it, it would be hard to put one above another.

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Yeah I’m only going on what I have in hand. I’m thinking I Am Legend and Red Dragon are going to upend a bit of the list!

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 01:21 PM

HBJ

Thanks, Jeff; I hope I can, too. I think it's going to be tough though, even though I'm not looking for rights, I just hope to own that one edition.

As for favourite designs, I would rank the numbered editions:
* Misery
* Brother
* The Road
* Rosemary's Baby, Horns and HHH in no particular order

It's hard to rank them because they are all so different from each other.

I can't wait for I am Legend. I just finished reading it for the first time yesterday, and I can see why it is so highly regarded. Ahead of its time, in many ways, and I was surprised how much of an SF book it is, as opposed to horror. Already knowing the premise, I was expecting it to be one thing, and it was something different, and better.

HBJ

webstar1000
01-20-2020, 01:54 PM
Here is a question for you guys. How much $ do you think having your original shipping box (inner black one and outer brown shipping box) would add to a lettered Misery? It’s an odd question but I cannot peg a value. Would you save yours? I did.... and been asked to buy it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-20-2020, 01:59 PM
"Come out, Neville! I want you to meet my friend, Paul!"

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 02:03 PM
Here is a question for you guys. How much $ do you think having your original shipping box (inner black one and outer brown shipping box) would add to a lettered Misery? It’s an odd question but I cannot peg a value. Would you save yours? I did.... and been asked to buy it.

Nothing. If I were buying a lettered misery, having it shipped in the original packaging would give me some peace of mind. But given what the book and case would cost, I wouldn’t pay any extra for the original packaging.

HBJ

webstar1000
01-20-2020, 02:03 PM

Nothing. If I were buying a lettered misery, having it shipped in the original packaging would give me some peace of mind. But given what the book and case would cost, I wouldn’t pay any extra for the original packaging.

HBJ

You would not pay more for it should those two boxes be present?

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 02:16 PM

HBJ

As a collectible? No.

I greatly appreciate the effort that Paul goes to in his packaging. It is unequaled. But the value of the packaging is in protecting the book. So I would expect any additional cost in using that packaging to be an incremental shipping cost, if anything. I don’t care about the condition of the packaging. I don’t care if that book was originally shipped in that packaging. I don’t see the packaging as part of the collectible. If it can protect the book a second time, it has some value, but I expect the seller to do whatever they can to pack well. I don’t expect them to charge extra just because the packaging is original.

I suppose I might consider the innermost box to be of collectible value, but for what I would be paying for the book itself, I would expect the seller to include it if they had it.

if there were two sellers, and one had the innermost box, and one did not, then I would prefer the one that had it, of course. But how much extra would I pay to get that in the box? Not very much. Probably nothing.

webstar1000
01-20-2020, 02:19 PM

HBJ

As a collectible? No.

I greatly appreciate the effort that Paul goes to in his packaging. It is unequaled. But the value of the packaging is in protecting the book. So I would expect any additional cost in using that packaging to be an incremental shipping cost, if anything. I don’t care about the condition of the packaging. I don’t care if that book was originally shipped in that packaging. I don’t see the packaging as part of the collectible. If it can protect the book a second time, it has some value, but I expect the seller to do whatever they can to pack well. I don’t expect them to charge extra just because the packaging is original.

Ok thanks. I know some pay more on the secondary market for original boxes and what not. Not sure if I should keep mine or not.

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 02:22 PM

HBJ

As a collectible? No.

Ok thanks. I know some pay more on the secondary market for original boxes and what not. Not sure if I should keep mine or not.

It could give you an edge over someone selling the same book but without any “extras.” I can see some being excited about getting the original Suntup experience with packaging and all. But I get where Peter is coming from. Paying extra for those things could be a deterrent for those who are breaking the bank to just get the book.

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 02:24 PM
I have kept all my original packaging for all the books I have bought from Paul, but not because I think I will get a better price if I sell the book. I do it so that I can make a buyer feel more confident that the book will arrive at their residence without damage, because the packaging is so awesome. I hope that confidence is real, but I don’t expect it to translate into dollars.

(I also keep the packaging because the packaging is so cool. :). )

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 02:49 PM

HBJ

Thanks, Jeff; I hope I can, too. I think it's going to be tough though, even though I'm not looking for rights, I just hope to own that one edition.

As for favourite designs, I would rank the numbered editions:
* Misery
* Brother
* The Road
* Rosemary's Baby, Horns and HHH in no particular order

It's hard to rank them because they are all so different from each other.

I can't wait for I am Legend. I just finished reading it for the first time yesterday, and I can see why it is so highly regarded. Ahead of its time, in many ways, and I was surprised how much of an SF book it is, as opposed to horror. Already knowing the premise, I was expecting it to be one thing, and it was something different, and better.

HBJ

I considered putting Brother even higher on my list. It’s gorgeous and unique.

Brian861
01-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Agreed as well considering the price points for the latest release. I was expecting it to be way higher when I clicked the link. That was an awesome surprise and for the AGE as well. RD will probably go into my DNT pile based on the photos alone. And when Paul adds real dragon skin right before shipping, mind blown.

Tommy
01-20-2020, 04:11 PM

It does add extra value to me but I love boxes. :) And Paul has special tape for some releases that I consider part of the packaged deal. I actually open my Suntups and Rebounds from the bottom so the top seal has never been broken on several of them. I don't know why but it works for me!

OldCrow88
01-20-2020, 04:27 PM
Random philosophical question: should I place Red Dragon on the Suntup shelf or paired with the SubPress Silence of the Lambs?

Random side-note: about 3 years ago SubPress ran a quick 50% off in-stock sale, and lo-&-behold some Lettereds were available. Garnered Silence of the Lambs, Drawing of the Dark, and a China Mieville all at half price. I'll probably never see that luck repeated.

PS: I've never been so happy to be on the Suntup (non-King) Lettered train! Of course, I say that at each new book announcement...

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 04:30 PM
[I considered putting Brother even higher on my list. It’s gorgeous and unique.

It really is. I love it. I don’t think I have seen a book made that way before. It has so much character.

I have to say though, misery is just a little better. The design of the tray case and every aspect of the book itself, including all the little details that only a fan of the book would think of or appreciate, put it in the first place for me.

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Random philosophical question: should I place Red Dragon on the Suntup shelf or paired with the SubPress Silence of the Lambs?

Random side-note: about 3 years ago SubPress ran a quick 50% off in-stock sale, and lo-&-behold some Lettereds were available. Garnered Silence of the Lambs, Drawing of the Dark, and a China Mieville all at half price. I'll probably never see that luck repeated.

PS: I've never been so happy to be on the Suntup (non-King) Lettered train! Of course, I say that at each new book announcement...

Personally, I would put the two Thomas Harris lettered Editions together. Their designs look like they would complement each other perfectly.

In fact, a key reason that I am so keen to get a red dragon lettered copy is to have a companion for my silence of the lambs lettered. I dream of being in your shoes one day. Congratulations!

kingfan2323
01-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Mines a double X so I cannot possibly match but how badass would a Silence and Dragon matching lettered be!!!

seeking: anything DT#246

Brian861
01-20-2020, 04:47 PM

For me; It's Horns numbered (I have 3 copies thus far :)), RB numbered, probably place RD here, and Misery AGE (don't own the numbered). All the other AGE's deserve just as much love as the numbered and lettereds.

webstar1000
01-20-2020, 04:49 PM

Personally, I would put the two Thomas Harris lettered Editions together. Their designs look like they would complement each other perfectly.

In fact, a key reason that I am so keen to get a red dragon lettered copy is to have a companion for my silence of the lambs lettered. I dream of being in your shoes one day. Congratulations!

What if we get all four Hannibal books from Suntup though? :) that be so amazing!

kingfan2323
01-20-2020, 05:08 PM

What if we get all four Hannibal books from Suntup though? :) that be so amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy pea brain did not even think of that, Kris! Love it.

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 05:40 PM

In that case, I would change my answer.:)

kingfan2323
01-20-2020, 05:44 PM
SOLD SOLD-
Since Thomas Harris is on our minds let me know if anyones interested in my spare copy-
In Other Collectible Author CLASSIFIEDs. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/65c2c34fe29e68c1310b785add2f9798.jpg

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 07:17 PM

For me; It's Horns numbered (I have 3 copies thus far :)), RB numbered, probably place RD here, and Misery AGE (don't own the numbered). All the other AGE's deserve just as much love as the numbered and lettereds.

The best AGE is Rosemary’s Baby. Then Misery. Or they’re tied for first.

jeffingoff
01-20-2020, 07:19 PM

Of course Horns is also spectacular. They’re all tied for first.

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2020, 08:16 PM

Agreed. The rosemary’s baby AGE is pretty extraordinary. If you have a copy, and haven’t already, remove the dustjacket and look at those amazing textured black boards. A nice touch, and a complete surprise.

jeffingoff
01-21-2020, 05:15 AM
With the echoes of another smash success ringing in our ears that saw the sell out of Red Dragon lettered and numbered and more than half the AGEs, I was thinking about why it's so easy to cheer Suntup on. If a publisher came along and did some research and learned what people wanted and crunched the numbers and ended up publishing the exact same books at the same quality and sold them for the exact same price, those books would probably still sell out, but I wouldn't be nearly as loyal or as loud in my support. There would be no cheering section. We'd buy and scuttle and wait. But with Paul, the passion is obvious and familiar. It's not a matter of spreadsheets and checked boxes and money in and out. It's not just tweaking a formula to produce a viable product. It's elevating the art and honoring the artists and authors. It's championing the collectors. It's sharing the thrill.

That's how it's come to be that Paul's victories are victories for all of us. For every person who ever loved a book.

Brian861
01-21-2020, 06:07 AM
With the echoes of another smash success ringing in our ears that saw the sell out of Red Dragon lettered and numbered and more than half the AGEs, I was thinking about why it's so easy to cheer Suntup on. If a publisher came along and did some research and learned what people wanted and crunched the numbers and ended up publishing the exact same books at the same quality and sold them for the exact same price, those books would probably still sell out, but I wouldn't be nearly as loyal or as loud in my support. There would be no cheering section. We'd buy and scuttle and wait. But with Paul, the passion is obvious and familiar. It's not a matter of spreadsheets and checked boxes and money in and out. It's not just tweaking a formula to produce a viable product. It's elevating the art and honoring the artists and authors. It's championing the collectors. It's sharing the thrill.

That's how it's come to be that Paul's victories are victories for all of us. For every person who ever loved a book.

Here, here, my friend! Very well stated. +1

shaq
01-21-2020, 06:29 AM
Well said. I enjoy my books and this level of service feels special.

Big fan.

MikeDuke
01-21-2020, 07:14 AM
I think it's as simple as Paul is the man. Simple as that :).

Raenas
01-21-2020, 08:18 AM

Here, here, my friend! Very well stated. +1

Could not have said it better either. It feels special to be a customer to... no, a member, of this project. Paul exactly nails down my taste both in the choice of source material and design, and the passion is so evident. There is no other fine press publisher that would consistently produce books I like or would want to read, or would shell this much for in the first place. It is very unique what we have here and I wish Paul finds all his enjoyment in this work, so it can continue for a long long time.

St. Troy
01-22-2020, 07:25 AM

I agree; if the right idea for the right paperback hits Paul, I suspect he'll do it even if profit is near zero (unfortunately, I think profit is near zero for many conventional (meaning hardcover) special editions in this industry; I'm certainly not speaking for Paul and have no inside info, but I think it's generally been hard for many publishers, when they set a price, then costs begin to climb etc.).

I have a hard time picturing a special edition paperback that would get me excited, but Paul is the man and would likely find a way.

St. Troy
01-22-2020, 07:31 AM
...For every person who ever loved a book.

It comes down to this.

St. Troy
01-22-2020, 07:35 AM
There isn't much I can add to the accolades being showered on the Red Dragon designs; Paul finds it easier to produce these things than I do to produce new ways to say "wow, what a great-looking book." Excellent, beautiful, inspired, me-wants-to-touch-the-precious...it all applies again.

I've never read Red Dragon, but am intrigued (by the novel itself), and the $65 price point for the AGE...I might have trouble staying away from this one.

St. Troy
01-22-2020, 07:35 AM
Is the Facebook video available elsewhere? I'm not on Facebook, and while I think that doesn't prevent me from watching, I can't remember if I had problems doing that before, so I thought I'd ask.

RichardX
01-22-2020, 07:46 AM
There isn't much I can add to the accolades being showered on the Red Dragon designs; Paul finds it easier to produce these things than I do to produce new ways to say "wow, what a great-looking book." Excellent, beautiful, inspired, me-wants-to-touch-the-precious...it all applies again.

I've never read Red Dragon, but am intrigued (by the novel itself), and the $65 price point for the AGE...I might have trouble staying away from this one.

In my opinion, Red Dragon is far and away the best of Harris' books. It was overshadowed by "Silence of the Lambs" due to the wild success of the movie but RD is a fantastic novel. A very realistic depiction of a serial killer. So many great scenes. It's a great book.

CyberGhostface
01-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Yeah as much as I love Hannibal as a character and he doesn't have much to do here I think Red Dragon has some of the best writing in the series.

Hunchback Jack
01-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Red Dragon is really solid, and was very original at the time. It’s my favorite of the series as well, although Lambs is also very good.

MLG
01-22-2020, 09:48 AM
Is the Facebook video available elsewhere? I'm not on Facebook, and while I think that doesn't prevent me from watching, I can't remember if I had problems doing that before, so I thought I'd ask.

It is available on Vimeo. You may need to create an account but that is painless. https://vimeo.com/suntupeditions

tippy4
01-23-2020, 08:09 AM
Not sure if this was previously mentioned....but the 1st film adaptation to Red Dragon was Manhunter (1986) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091474/).

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-23-2020, 09:00 AM
The precursor to CSI, as everyone knows.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-23-2020, 09:11 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread Paul, but I took a picture. I'll delete it at the slightest objection!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/RedDragon.JPG

zelig
01-23-2020, 09:36 AM
I object! Why only one copy?! Like where’s the variants? Oh wait they didn’t do that back then did they...

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-23-2020, 09:43 AM
I knew it!

I also forgot to put a comma after the word 'thread'.

I am so ashamed.

kingfan2323
01-23-2020, 09:47 AM
Hard to object when your newest announcement creates more excitement surrounding an author. Whether Red Dragon or Cari Mora NO ONE writes like this guy. Exciting.

Noxus35
01-23-2020, 10:22 AM
I actually would like to see Suntup publish Psycho by Robert Bloch, i'm a big fan of Hitchcock's film but i have never ever read the novel but i would absolutely buy it.

On terms of a living author ; Clive Barker maybe? 🤔

jeffingoff
01-23-2020, 10:25 AM
I actually would like to see Suntup publish Psycho by Robert Bloch, i'm a big fan of Hitchcock's film but i have never ever read the novel but i would absolutely buy it.

On terms of a living author ; Clive Barker maybe? [emoji848]

I’d love to see either Imajica or Cabal. Or the as yet unreleased Deep Hill.

MikeDuke
01-23-2020, 11:21 AM
I think, Imajica (which I have yet to read) or Weaveworld would be awesome. I hope Clive is feeling better so he can finish that book. I know he has been ill
for a while. I think Paul has a lot of great stuff in the pipeline that we don't even know about yet.

amd013
01-23-2020, 12:43 PM
I've read Weaveworld and The great and secret show. Liked them both. Bought the squeal to the great and secret show, but never picked it up, and now I have forgotten 99% of tgass, so it sits there unread.

Beverly Marsh
01-23-2020, 12:55 PM
I just have to jump in here and say that I just finished Brother and WOW. What a ride. I had never heard of it until the limited was announced and everyone here started going crazy so figured I better get in the loop. Really enjoyed it and it took me on twists and turns I wasn't expecting! Just when I thought I had it figured out, I didn't.
Any recommendations on what I should read next by her?
While I don't have the limited, I'm only on the King Suntup train, it was great to be introduced to a new(to me!) author.

Noxus35
01-23-2020, 02:21 PM

On terms of a living author ; Clive Barker maybe? [emoji848]

I’d love to see either Imajica or Cabal. Or the as yet unreleased Deep Hill.

For me i'd love to see either The Hellbound Heart or Imajica, it would be great to see that happen. 😎

kingfan2323
01-23-2020, 05:04 PM
I just have to jump in here and say that I just finished Brother and WOW. What a ride. I had never heard of it until the limited was announced and everyone here started going crazy so figured I better get in the loop. Really enjoyed it and it took me on twists and turns I wasn't expecting! Just when I thought I had it figured out, I didn't.
While I don't have the limited, I'm only on the King Suntup train, it was great to be introduced to a new(to me!) author.Exciting to discover something totally new because of this board and Suntup right! Loved it too.

Hunchback Jack
01-23-2020, 05:11 PM
While I don't have the limited, I'm only on the King Suntup train, it was great to be introduced to a new(to me!) author.

I'm reading Seed by her now, and it's pretty solid. Perhaps not as good as Brother, but great - and realistic - character interactions.

HBJ

Brian861
01-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Nothing :lol:

Let's not muddy the Suntup waters with Barker either. Thank you and out.

Garrell
01-23-2020, 05:49 PM
Seed got better as it went along. Creepy but enjoyed it. Brother was amazing but Seed is worth the time.

jeffingoff
01-24-2020, 06:35 AM

Getting back to the paperback idea--what if the AGE of a particular release was issued as a paperback? or What if a book complemented a release but was a different book entirely (for example, if Paul published a Lovecraft book as a numbered edition and a paperback copy of The Necronomicon to go along with it).

Just some thoughts on how it could work.

Hunchback Jack
01-26-2020, 02:17 PM
If anyone has ordered the lettered edition of Red Dragon, and would be interested in selling, please PM me.

You can retain rights to future lettered Suntup releases; I’m interested in this title only.

programmer
01-26-2020, 03:03 PM
If anyone is interested in selling a Red Dragon numbered edition, please PM me.

Thank you very much!

Cook
01-29-2020, 05:42 AM
I wish Paul would ship something new today..... I need a Suntup fix 8)
Oh Wait.. is he shipping something today ??

Garrell
01-29-2020, 06:10 AM
Oh yeah!

MikeDuke
01-29-2020, 06:11 AM
Just noticed that. Pretty cool and I can't wait to check it out.

jeffingoff
01-29-2020, 08:06 AM
anxiously biting my fingers waiting for the Suntup email--just like 33% of my year.

zelig
01-29-2020, 08:29 AM
The Road Broadside has started shipping. Please note that for prints shipped within the USA, there will be no email notification or tracking #. This is a flat rigid mailer being shipped presorted standard mail without tracking. Doing it any other way would be too cost prohibitive on 500+ mailers. I would say you can expect to start receiving these next week. International shipments are the only ones that will get a tracking #. And I think you're really going to love this print. I'll post a video of the printing of it once they have started to arrive. Over and out.

MikeDuke
01-29-2020, 08:38 AM
Sounds good to me. I can't wait to see what this looks like in person.

webstar1000
01-29-2020, 08:45 AM
It feels SO far away for the best book announcement too.... :nana:

jeffingoff
01-29-2020, 08:49 AM

Are you referring to March 13th?
Are you saying you know what the book will be?
Because I have two guesses and I cannot be wrong. It's impossible.

MikeDuke
01-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Me too. And Paul did say it was real classic.

Brian861
01-29-2020, 10:10 AM

Only a few months out from receiving another fix :)

Br!an
01-29-2020, 11:08 AM
What are the dimensions of the mailer? The broadside being 8" x 10", I'd guess just slightly larger than that?

Cook
01-29-2020, 12:34 PM

Only a few months out from receiving another fix :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MLG
01-29-2020, 02:06 PM

If you have two guesses you have to be wrong. At best only one guess would be right so the other has to be wrong.

jeffingoff
01-29-2020, 02:16 PM

If you have two guesses you have to be wrong. At best only one guess would be right so the other has to be wrong.

True! But one is so right it erases all the wrong of the other one!

webstar1000
01-29-2020, 02:19 PM

I do not know. No. I’m simple
Excited hence my dancing emoji. Lol

Hunchback Jack
01-29-2020, 03:41 PM

I wish my wife thought like that. :)

HBJ

zelig
01-29-2020, 03:44 PM
What are the dimensions of the mailer? The broadside being 8" x 10", I'd guess just slightly larger than that?

Final size of the broadside ended up at 7" x 9 7/8". Mailer is 9" x 11.5".

I do not know. No. I’m simple
Excited hence my dancing emoji. Lol

I have an idea on what it might be.

jeffingoff
01-29-2020, 04:19 PM

I wish my wife thought like that. :)

HBJ

HA! Same here! If my kids ever ask me "Dad, how can I tell if someone is the one I should marry?"
I'll say: "Well, crack a really funny joke in a room full of people. the one person who doesn't laugh and just rolls their eyes is the one you should marry, apparently. Cause that’s how it turned out for me.”

shaq
01-30-2020, 05:21 AM

So cruel...

Let me continue the euphoria of buying a red dragon limited for a little while longer before turning my head to another book.

Oh and please don't make me beg for the Red Dragon paperweight!!

jeffingoff
01-30-2020, 05:35 AM

So cruel...

Let me continue the euphoria of buying a red dragon limited for a little while longer before turning my head to another book.

Oh and please don't make me beg for the Red Dragon paperweight!!

Oh yeah enjoy the elation. With the way collectors reacted to Red Dragon I’d say it‘a another huge score for Paul and Suntup owners. As big as Misery. 2020 is off to a roaring start.

I’m elated with every Suntup release so this is business as usual for me. :D

And I also appreciate the break between announcements. Just to get my pennies collected.

MikeDuke
01-30-2020, 06:04 AM
Agree Jeff. 2020 is starting off in fantastic form with what's already been announced. I can't wait to see what the rest of the year will look like.

St. Troy
01-30-2020, 06:23 AM

No one said there would be math...

shaq
01-30-2020, 06:55 AM
This is incredibly premature but already getting nervous about securing War of the Worlds (my big want/need!) based on some already being sold in the bundle, and potentially only a limited amount available.

I am asking myself, do I buy all books released from this point to at least keep me in the game, and see how Paul deals with the amount of books available for those that bought the previously book.

Not a hard decision based on the quality of of every single book released by Paul, but having cherry picked my books up to now, may have to change my purchasing habits to get ensure I get one at issue price.

jeffingoff
01-30-2020, 07:12 AM
This is incredibly premature but already getting nervous about securing War of the Worlds (my big want/need!) based on some already being sold in the bundle, and potentially only a limited amount available.

I am asking myself, do I buy all books released from this point to at least keep me in the game, and see how Paul deals with the amount of books available for those that bought the previously book.

Not a hard decision based on the quality of of every single book released by Paul, but having cherry picked my books up to now, may have to change my purchasing habits to get ensure I get one at issue price.

Here's the one major thing you got going for you--so far Suntup books have been incredibly strong on the aftermarket. So if it's a financial crunch initially, you can definitely recoup those funds by selling the books you don't want. Essentially you can cherry-pick and maintain your number as long as you sell the fruit you don't want. This plan wouldn't work for me because all Paul produces are cherries. I wouldn't want to sell any of them.

Brian861
01-30-2020, 07:20 AM

Here's the one major thing you got going for you--so far Suntup books have been incredibly strong on the aftermarket. So if it's a financial crunch initially, you can definitely recoup those funds by selling the books you don't want. Essentially you can cherry-pick and maintain your number as long as you sell the fruit you don't want. This plan wouldn't work for me because all Paul produces are cherries. I wouldn't want to sell any of them.

That's the way I play it. So far the keepers for me are Horns (3 copies to date), RB, and most likely RD. I've already traded away IAL upon its release.

Come see me, Shaq if you're unable to secure a copy of WOTW.

webstar1000
01-30-2020, 07:29 AM

That's the way I play it. So far the keepers for me are Horns (3 copies to date), RB, and most likely RD. I've already traded away IAL upon its release.

Thats very cool of you:)

PS: I know you kept Brother though. :dance:

zelig
01-30-2020, 07:38 AM
It’s no secret. Brian looooves Brother! I bet he has a stash of them he’s been secretly squirreling away. :-p

shaq
01-30-2020, 07:46 AM

Very cool, thank you.

Regarding all other comments, they are really appreciated, and make so much sense, and the internal debate (struggle is the wrong word) I have been having and to be honest, is just that, it's a no brainer really, and not that difficult a debate, it's a fantastic place to be, having the options at last!

The difficult debate will be with my partner!!!! Lol!!

Oh and love this phrase....... 'all Paul produces are cherries'

Thank you.

Brian861
01-30-2020, 11:24 PM
It’s no secret. Brian looooves Brother! I bet he has a stash of them he’s been secretly squirreling away. :-p

Haha. You guys are a riot! My order history begs to differ with you there, buddy. I'll take a red Horns though :)

Actually, Kris, I believe you're right!

Brian861
01-30-2020, 11:39 PM

Very cool, thank you.

Regarding all other comments, they are really appreciated, and make so much sense, and the internal debate (struggle is the wrong word) I have been having and to be honest, is just that, it's a no brainer really, and not that difficult a debate, it's a fantastic place to be, having the options at last!

The difficult debate will be with my partner!!!! Lol!!

Oh and love this phrase....... 'all Paul produces are cherries'

Thank you.

You're most welcome. I had an internal debate awhile back about staying on the non-King track with the books I wasn't into. I know Paul doesn't take it personally, but I wanted to continue to support him, keep my number for the books that I do keep, stay on the pre-order list, and these books make for great trade pieces. I don't regret not having the full library of Suntup books. The ones I do have are extremely precious to me and the ones I don't have gone to folks who really love them. For my situation, it's win-win.

NiceM
01-31-2020, 09:52 AM

I'm on lettered and just can't fathom selling any of them. Still need to read Brother and see how the book resonates with me. I know I know kris, I will love it.
I'll see how 2020 goes to see if I can keep them all (which I want to). I just need to stay away from the Numerals. Paul please don't make a Tolkien numeral... I couldn't resist that. Then again, please do :)

webstar1000
01-31-2020, 10:12 AM

I'm on lettered and just can't fathom selling any of them. Still need to read Brother and see how the book resonates with me. I know I know kris, I will love it.
I'll see how 2020 goes to see if I can keep them all (which I want to). I just need to stay away from the Numerals. Paul please don't make a Tolkien numeral... I couldn't resist that. Then again, please do :)

LOL I won't say a word man! As for values... I have sold A LOT of Paul's work on the secondary market. Some do sell faster than others for sure. I mean Haunting numbered was fetching $900!!!! And don't get me started on Misery! You would be shocked to know some prices I have seen lately change hands. Some, like Brother, that do not have the appeal as the audience is small... fetch below cover (still can buy new though). BUT... fast forward 15-20 years. Brother will be known as she grows as an author... there will probably be a movie of this... and (just look at old Subpress, Centipede titles) prices will soar. Many of Pauls books will fetch such high numbers down the road. It would shock us if we could see now. I mean... I bet you we would all lose our minds. People like luxury... and these books are it. And with 200-250 print runs? They won't be easy to find for the next gen collector.

MikeDuke
01-31-2020, 10:36 AM
I love Paul's work. And I can't ever see myself selling these books. I will buy all the numbered ones I can and have a complete non-King line set. I will never sell any of these books. It's as simple as that.

Hunchback Jack
01-31-2020, 10:59 AM
Personally, I don’t expect the numbered books to appreciate much in value over time. I think they will stay at some increment over list price and maybe even a decrease in value to around list price over time. Prices will only increase if there is increasing interest in the author, and those readers are interested in, and able to, pay ever-higher prices for collectible books. For most of these titles, I don’t think that will be the case.

Misery will be the exception of course, Particularly as long as it holds rights.

That’s not to say I’m not absolutely thrilled to be on the number to track. I love these books as objects of art and craft. And I love discovering new authors from being a customer of the press. I just don’t necessarily see them as a financial investment.

Munnecom
01-31-2020, 12:08 PM
I check eBay for recent Suntup sales from time to time. What surprises me most are the prices that THoHH and The Road fetch. I expect Red Dragon to soar as well, at least at first.

jeffingoff
01-31-2020, 12:15 PM
I check eBay for recent Suntup sales from time to time. What surprises me most are the prices that THoHH and The Road fetch. I expect Red Dragon to soar as well, at least at first.

Yeah I think that's because they had more room to increase. RB and Horns started high (for a lot of collectors) so those prices haven't had the room that the $350 and $400 editions had. If you look at the AGEs it's the same thing--percentage-wise they've increased as much as Hill House and The Road.

Also, there are very few copies of The Road floating around.

Brian861
01-31-2020, 12:23 PM
I sold one of my copies of The Road for $700 to purchase Horns for $700. I could have gotten $800 for The Road but only wanted what I needed to cover my purchase of Horns. Those were private sales though. I can foresee RD doubling in price aftermarket if not more. Especially considering it sold out in less than half an hour.

jeffingoff
01-31-2020, 12:34 PM
I sold one of my copies of The Road for $700 to purchase Horns for $700. I could have gotten $800 for The Road but only wanted what I needed to cover my purchase of Horns. Those were private sales though. I can foresee RD doubling in price aftermarket if not more. Especially considering it sold out in less than half an hour.

I fully expect RD to go bonkers on the secondary. It's got both the room to go up and the insane demand. i've seen a lot of people disappointed that they missed out. I considered buying a second copy during the public presale, but I'd rather let someone else get the chance to buy one direct from Paul and get on the numbered track if they choose.

MikeDuke
01-31-2020, 12:53 PM

I fully expect RD to go bonkers on the secondary. It's got both the room to go up and the insane demand. i've seen a lot of people disappointed that they missed out. I considered buying a second copy during the public presale, but I'd rather let someone else get the chance to buy one direct from Paul and get on the numbered track if they choose.
That's why I don't buy the GE if there is one. If someone can't afford the numbered, at least they have an chance at the GE. And me not buying one, is one for someone to buy it from Paul.
It will be interesting to see how RD acts in the secondary market. I also find the prices of The Road THoHH go for impressive. They are listing and selling quite high. Even higher than Horns. The prices for RB are all over the place so I can't figure that one out. Anyway, I am not a book flipper so I am not looking to buy and sell and make a profit. I just want well crafted classic and newer books that I can enjoy looking at on my shelf, and then read.

Hunchback Jack
01-31-2020, 01:14 PM

I agree - Red Dragon could well fetch higher prices on the secondary market than the other titles. And good of you to hold back on a second RD numbered to allow another collector to get it at list price.

HBJ

jeffingoff
01-31-2020, 01:20 PM

I agree - Red Dragon could well fetch higher prices on the secondary market than the other titles. And good of you to hold back on a second RD numbered to allow another collector to get it at list price.

HBJ

ALSO never mind the fact that I didn't really have the money to buy two. And never mind the fact that had I the money to buy two I probably wouldn't have been able to sell the extra copy anyway because I only unbox Suntups--never rebox them.

zelig
01-31-2020, 01:58 PM
You want to play a part in deciding whether the signature sheet for Red Dragon goes in the front or back? Cast your vote! You get to decide. I don't feel strongly either way, so I figured why not let the majority decide, and we go whichever way you'd like. I think I know where it will end up. Nothing official, if you have an opinion on it, just post what that is.

Edit: I should clarify, this would be for the Lettered and Numbered. The AGE will be in the back.

jeffingoff
01-31-2020, 02:27 PM
You want to play a part in deciding whether the signature sheet for Red Dragon goes in the front or back? Cast your vote! You get to decide. I don't feel strongly either way, so I figured why not let the majority decide, and we go whichever way you'd like. I think I know where it will end up. Nothing official, if you have an opinion on it, just post what that is.

Edit: I should clarify, this would be for the Lettered and Numbered. The AGE will be in the back.

I don't really have a strong preference, but I'd say put it in the front.

I liked your initial thinking on the placement of the sig sheets and I'm happy to have Brother be the exception.

Hunchback Jack
01-31-2020, 02:31 PM

I don't really have a strong preference, but I'd say put it in the front.

I liked your initial thinking on the placement of the sig sheets and I'm happy to have Brother be the exception.

I agree with Jeff.

HBJ

Kongo
01-31-2020, 03:28 PM
My vote is for right smack in the middle

lotuz
01-31-2020, 03:40 PM
I've always been partial to having them in the back. Maybe it's because Centipede Press was the first small press I started collecting and theirs have always been in the back...

For some books I find that placement in the front "interrupts" the flow when I first open it, but that's highly design dependent and if you're ambivalent my guess is that's not the case here.

Cook
01-31-2020, 03:52 PM

I vote for back, sort of like signing your name at the end of a letter or end of an email. (somebody might want to post up a vote thread)

zelig
01-31-2020, 03:58 PM

It’s funny. I was going to post this suggestion.

I vote for back, sort of like signing your name at the end of a letter or end of an email. (somebody might want to post up a vote thread)

We don’t need a separate thread for this. Just some comments here are good.

Joe315
01-31-2020, 04:39 PM
I like the whole living author in the front deceased in the back. But either way works for me.

cit74
01-31-2020, 04:45 PM
I vote for the back - I like that in my CP and Charnel house books too

firemonkey66
01-31-2020, 04:53 PM
I vote for up front. I like being able to peak at the sig page without actually lifting the book out of a traycase. I suppose that’s irrelevant for slipcased books, though.

Randall Flagg
01-31-2020, 04:58 PM
I think we should skip the signature page (front, back, middle), and have a personal note from the author.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-31-2020, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Kongo;1181813]My vote is for right smack in the middle

Which I (modestly clears throat) made back in post #8174.

Dr. Dawg
01-31-2020, 07:14 PM
I'll throw in for the signature in the front. I do like the uniqueness of the signature page in the back, but I like the idea of living authors in the front and deceased authors in the back more. I agree with letting Brother be the exception- it's already a little different with the higher print run.

On a separate note, I had to scratch my Suntup itch this week and bought a couple of prints with the Folio Box. I could see that developing into a whole separate addiction....

Garrell
01-31-2020, 07:19 PM
Front please kind sir.

lotuz
01-31-2020, 09:32 PM
Just put them all in the middle from now on.

As long as you're doing oracle stuff, I would please like the Powerball numbers and also the name of the next Suntup book, either is fine

Munnecom
02-01-2020, 03:40 AM
Front please kind sir.

That's what she said.

Normally, I'd vote for putting the signature page in the back, but since Suntup is doing this living-dead author thing, that takes precedence, so I vote for the front.

webstar1000
02-01-2020, 03:41 AM
What about hiding it? :)

Black Miau
02-01-2020, 06:48 AM
I vote for up front!

Ari_Racing
02-01-2020, 07:09 AM
Front.

Cook
02-01-2020, 07:42 AM

We don’t need a separate thread for this. Just some comments here are good.

Or Front

Caliban
02-01-2020, 07:56 AM
This text are written by ØYVIND

Greek colophone (signatures at the back) are the authors and illustrators signature to my knowledge the classic way of doing things (it wraps it up). The signature(s) up front are as i see it more of a show off, what i mean it`s there more noticeable within the book, thus with it`s larger presence might hold a more symbolic value for the modern collector.

Modern way. On the front : I`ll put my stamp on it !! BLOCK LETTERS and sCrEaMy .. it`s potentially fast money involved in this .. send me Jack please. Mr. Daniels. : The author are holding your hand more throughout the story.

Classic way on the back : I will discreetly sign my work with my most flowery signature while i sip my wine and have a bite of dark chocolate. My work is what`s most important. : The author are waiting to give you a handshake or be the recipient of a flower bouquet at the end.

Personally i don`t care as much. Do as you please Paul !

This text was written by yours truly Mr. Øyvind,-

jeffingoff
02-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Now I feel shame for wanting it in the front.

jeffingoff
02-01-2020, 07:59 AM
Now I feel shame for wanting it in the front.

Actually, my original thought was to go with Paul’s initial thought and that’s living author in front, otherwise sigs in the back. Like a sig sheet mullet.

Brian861
02-01-2020, 10:23 AM
I'll vote for front as well. But, the signature page should be written backwards so you can see it "becoming" in a mirror.

PennyUnwise
02-01-2020, 12:23 PM
If anyone is looking for a Time Machine numbered let me know. I have one on order and gambled on liking the novel but not really a fan after diving into it. Just looking for around retail plus shipping expenses.

Would contemplate an offer on Red Dragon as well to keep the number going to try and match the Wells books. That would need some talking though as I was really looking forward to that announcement, but I understand someone may want to match.

Thanks!

Update: Time Machine sold

Munnecom
02-03-2020, 02:24 AM
Judging by the pictures and the description, I believe this “demon skin” slipcase is similar to what Paul is going for with the Red Dragon AGE. If so, everyone who bought a copy is in for a treat, because it is exquisite!

https://50sb4q.db.files.1drv.com/y4my2IESSI8Kg9sfrPFwVJrIds3Kz457EEZOB_VwP_J5OriOe8 cKnESu5vmKbUT3vm79KLpeM1ZqrpE0h8WWlprTaPlspyjDyMfg jYMr2rEq2d7BAM6Vd7OGJNKjHJiRGDD4mIP3vbqfC4QFUOLgqt pve1lD122W3EnIk3EYt537vJZ0rw8XXCyTOWbto6E_nahLTiPp YGsLd0UpGbJ38ku6w?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none

Br!an
02-03-2020, 04:46 AM
Judging by the pictures and the description, I believe this “demon skin” slipcase is similar to what Paul is going for with the Red Dragon AGE. If so, everyone who bought a copy is in for a treat, because it is exquisite!

We know what a green dragon looked like.

http://dragonrebound.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/prototype1-673x1024.jpg

The Library Policeman
02-03-2020, 09:28 AM
Got my Road broadside in this morning. Gorgeous. Thanks for the great gift, Paul.

shaq
02-03-2020, 09:36 AM
Mine too. Atill to open, waiting for the 3 year old to go to bed first!!

Thank you.

MikeDuke
02-03-2020, 09:36 AM
Awesome. I can't wait to see it for myself.

Patrick
02-03-2020, 10:30 AM
I vote for upfront, but I’m really ok with either or a mix of both.

amd013
02-03-2020, 12:37 PM
I prefer in the front, but I would also prefer consistency among the various states.

zelig
02-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Now that's a blast from the past. First *anything* I did with making books. That's the miniature prototype for the first rebound. How things have progressed!

We know what a green dragon looked like.

http://dragonrebound.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/prototype1-673x1024.jpg

Got my Road broadside in this morning. Gorgeous. Thanks for the great gift, Paul.

Good to hear! I see they have started to arrive. I'll give it a few more days then post the video for these.

For the Red Dragon signature sheets in the Numbered and Lettered, thanks for all the feedback. It seems the people have spoken and it will be up front in this edition. This is going to be another exception, as my first choice is at the back, but I'm perfectly fine with this up front which is where I felt it would end up anyway. The book is ready to print, which will be happening soon.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-03-2020, 05:04 PM
At least you're up front about it.

St. Troy
02-03-2020, 05:14 PM
At least you're up front about it.

Again, this site's desperate need for a rim shot emoji becomes an issue...

Brian861
02-03-2020, 11:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAKlaK954XQ&feature=em-uploademail

Garrell
02-04-2020, 06:01 AM
LOL:tongue1:

Dr. Dawg
02-04-2020, 09:44 AM
That's awesome, I love those videos!

amd013
02-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Looks like the dog wanted to make the #2 for you :):)

NiceM
02-04-2020, 01:38 PM
LOL, Jeff, I feel a reshipping back to California is in the making!

Aremag
02-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Do a nice re-boxing video.

jeffingoff
02-04-2020, 03:16 PM
LOL, Jeff, I feel a reshipping back to California is in the making!

Do a nice re-boxing video.

Hell no. I'm going to put a 23 in it and probably make another video out of it because that's all that brings me joy anymore. But I will never part with that book. It's in my will.

zelig
02-04-2020, 03:42 PM
I think that video was your best to date. I was going to offer to take it back and do it for you, but just read your post above and will await the follow up video with the numbering by Jeff hisself.

Kongo
02-04-2020, 03:49 PM
Damn Jeff, dem production values are raising. Also I love the idea of you numbering it with your blood. Better yet, PAUL'S BLOOD

Garrell
02-04-2020, 04:05 PM
Should have MJ number it since it is 23

Aremag
02-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Jeff could have Paul number a lick em and stick em bookplate and then he could just slap it in his book.

kingfan2323
02-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Maybe do the 2 and take a long break. Recoup, regain your composure, and rest. Then write the 3.

jeffingoff
02-04-2020, 04:36 PM
Jeff could have Paul number a lick em and stick em bookplate and then he could just slap it in his book.

If Paul did that I'd end up framing it and putting it with the rest of the Suntup Shrine in my basement. And my book would still be unnumbered. No, I just have to do it. Would have been cool to do it yesterday on 2/3. But OH WELL. Now I have to wait until the 23rd.

jeffingoff
02-04-2020, 04:40 PM
Should have MJ number it since it is 23

I have Walter Payton's kids number my PS King editions and my CD Doubleday years set. It's a pain in the ass.

jeffingoff
02-04-2020, 04:56 PM
I think that video was your best to date. I was going to offer to take it back and do it for you, but just read your post above and will await the follow up video with the numbering by Jeff hisself.

Thank you! And thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it, but I'd be sick with worry while the baby traveled the country. Besides, I'm looking forward to the chance to finish the book.

jeffingoff
02-04-2020, 04:56 PM
Damn Jeff, dem production values are raising. Also I love the idea of you numbering it with your blood. Better yet, PAUL'S BLOOD

Hahahaha I think things are officially out of hand.

Hunchback Jack
02-04-2020, 08:45 PM

If Paul did that I'd end up framing it and putting it with the rest of the Suntup Shrine in my basement. And my book would still be unnumbered. No, I just have to do it. Would have been cool to do it yesterday on 2/3. But OH WELL. Now I have to wait until the 23rd.

With the DNA on the lick em and stick em bookplate, you could create a Paul Suntup clone.

Sure, there are ethical implications ... but if the clone can design and publish lettered editions like the original? Totally worth it.

HBJ

Garrell
02-05-2020, 05:24 AM
All I heard was - Paul is publishing Westworld next:smile:

Brian861
02-05-2020, 10:58 AM
All I heard was - Paul is publishing Westworld next:smile:

:nope:

St. Troy
02-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Since Suntup is open to different areas of literature, I may as well float one of my bright ideas that I've been hoping Folio Society would get to, but never has: a set of the works of Frederick Douglass, Ida B. Wells, and Booker T. Washington, all of whom were born into slavery (Wells was born to a slave mother in 1862, in case anyone wants to pick nits) and had important things to say. Maybe the audience for this wouldn't be huge, but it should be.

Noxus35
02-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Couldn't resist it anymore & ordered the I Am Legend AGE. 😎

MikeDuke
02-05-2020, 01:16 PM
And don't you feel better now :clap:.

Noxus35
02-05-2020, 01:23 PM
And don't you feel better now.

Much better, the devil on my right shoulder drop-kicked the angel . 😁

MLG
02-05-2020, 07:08 PM
Since Suntup is open to different areas of literature, I may as well float one of my bright ideas that I've been hoping Folio Society would get to, but never has: a set of the works of Frederick Douglass, Ida B. Wells, and Booker T. Washington, all of whom were born into slavery (Wells was born to a slave mother in 1862, in case anyone wants to pick nits) and had important things to say. Maybe the audience for this wouldn't be huge, but it should be.

I like this idea.

jeffingoff
02-05-2020, 07:11 PM

Great idea and important works.

jeffingoff
02-05-2020, 07:21 PM

With the DNA on the lick em and stick em bookplate, you could create a Paul Suntup clone.

Sure, there are ethical implications ... but if the clone can design and publish lettered editions like the original? Totally worth it.

HBJ

This is intriguing. I'll also need to clone Becca though. And then raise them. This is going to be far more expensive than just buying the books.

stroppygoblin
02-06-2020, 03:47 AM

HBJ

This is intriguing. I'll also need to clone Becca though. And then raise them. This is going to be far more expensive than just buying the books.

Wouldn't clones of Paul and Becca just be second editions and therefore not as collectible?? :confused:

jeffingoff
02-06-2020, 05:33 AM

HBJ

Wouldn't clones of Paul and Becca just be second editions and therefore not as collectible?? :confused:

Well this plan is going down in flames. And it seemed so reasonable at the outset!

Aremag
02-06-2020, 06:54 AM

HBJ

I think they would be more like Paul and Becca Rebound with high collectibility.

Munnecom
02-06-2020, 06:56 AM
Rebound in the skins of the originals? This is getting grim...

Aremag
02-06-2020, 06:58 AM
Rebound in the skins of the originals? This is getting grim...

No no....the dna is the original with the new Paul and Becca being the rebind.

becca69
02-06-2020, 12:35 PM
You guys are insane

What if we are the clones - mind blown

:sharepopcorn:

MikeDuke
02-06-2020, 12:45 PM
You guys are insane

What if we are the clones - mind blown

:sharepopcorn:
I see The Body Snatchers (1955) by Jack Finney in the future... Just sayin :smile_002:.

zelig
02-06-2020, 02:58 PM
I've already been cloned.

This is my clone busy launching a new book...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2.gif

And this is me taking my daily stroll trying to avoid the paparazzi...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/1.gif

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Looks like a Marx Brothers movie to me.

Garrell
02-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Wait! We're cousins?

George at C-Springs
02-06-2020, 05:40 PM
May I recommend a timesaving alternative to cloning?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/unnamed.jpg

Kongo
02-06-2020, 05:58 PM
I've already been cloned.

This is my clone busy launching a new book...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2.gif

And this is me taking my daily stroll trying to avoid the paparazzi...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/1.gif

I'm not going to lie. The first thing I thought of when I looked at the 2nd gif was "I will never be as cool as that monkey" lol.

George at C-Springs
02-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Speaking of …

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/unnamed.jpg

… how absolutely holy freakin' AWESOME would a Suntup Limited of Calvin & Hobbes be??? Somebody contact Bill Watterson ASAP!!!

Aremag
02-07-2020, 08:04 AM
With the friendly reminder that was sent out today a question returned to me. How do the non-King numbers work now? I bought a Red Dragon numbered so do I need to buy both the Wells books to maintain my number going forward or is there something different due to the Wells being originally available as a set? I don't think I'd mind losing my number since my Brother will not likely match any upcoming numbered editions but I'd like that early buying option of being a current numbered holder.

becca69
02-07-2020, 08:12 AM
With the friendly reminder that was sent out today a question returned to me. How do the non-King numbers work now? I bought a Red Dragon numbered so do I need to buy both the Wells books to maintain my number going forward or is there something different due to the Wells being originally available as a set? I don't think I'd mind losing my number since my Brother will not likely match any upcoming numbered editions but I'd like that early buying option of being a current numbered holder.

When the links go live, those details will be available on the announcement pages.

Aremag
02-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Becca.

becca69
02-07-2020, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the reply Becca.

:thumbsup:

Raenas
02-07-2020, 08:45 AM
Just received the email about the links for the last two H.G. Well books coming online next week. Will these first be private pre-order for those who ordered the first book, or is it public from the get-go? I would definitely appreciate a short private pre-order period as a customer of the first book (and Red Dragon). I did not purchase the full set initially because of some looming expenses, and did not anticipate not having a private pre-order in the future for releases of 250 numbereds.

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Just received the email about the links for the last two H.G. Well books coming online next week. Will these first be private pre-order for those who ordered the first book, or is it public from the get-go? I would definitely appreciate a short private pre-order period as a customer of the first book (and Red Dragon). I did not purchase the full set initially because of some looming expenses, and did not anticipate not having a private pre-order in the future for releases of 250 numbereds.

DId you buy the whole set up front? If so.. nothing to worry about!

Raenas
02-07-2020, 08:55 AM

No, I have only bought the first book. I appreciated that I don't have to buy the whole thing at once due too looming expenses (despite throwing away 10%), but did not think this would come with foregoing the pre-order on future books from the set.

NiceM
02-07-2020, 10:40 AM
Soooooo looking forward to War of the worlds. I can hear the Jeff Wayne record in my head. Fond memories of my dad playing that when I was a kid. Need to find out if he still has that original. Those old record albums had awesome art!

Brian861
02-07-2020, 11:02 AM
So both books going up for sale together then?

zelig
02-07-2020, 11:29 AM

No, I have only bought the first book. I appreciated that I don't have to buy the whole thing at once due too looming expenses (despite throwing away 10%), but did not think this would come with foregoing the pre-order on future books from the set.

There will not be a private pre-order for The Invisible Man or The War of the Worlds Numbered editions. If you are ready to place your order when they open up on the 13th you should be fine. It's difficult to anticipate how fast a book will sell, but I don't expect these to blast out the door in minutes. I'd just be ready to place your order when it opens up.

Soooooo looking forward to War of the worlds. I can hear the Jeff Wayne record in my head. Fond memories of my dad playing that when I was a kid. Need to find out if he still has that original. Those old record albums had awesome art!

Great album. We got permission to reprint the art which will be included in a separate bonus book.

So both books going up for sale together then?

Yes both will be up for sale at the same time.

Brian861
02-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Yes both will be up for sale at the same time.

Ouch.

Dr. Dawg
02-07-2020, 02:00 PM
Great album. We got permission to reprint the art which will be included in a separate bonus book.

I can't wait to hear more about this!

zelig
02-07-2020, 02:43 PM

I can't wait to hear more about this!

The contents are posted on The Time Machine page. Here, I'll save you a trip:

Includes 112 Page Bonus Booklet with Letterpress Printed Jacket:

The Crystal Egg – Precursor to The War of the Worlds
The Things That Live on Mars by H.G. Wells – Cosmopolitan Article
Orson Welles 1938 Radio Broadcast Script
Reprint of The Boston Daily Globe’s front page headline
Reproductions of 32 famous Henrique Alvim Corrêa drawings
Art from Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-07-2020, 02:49 PM
What, no Mars bar wrapper?