PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

MikeDuke
09-30-2018, 03:06 PM
was HHH before or after Misery ?
I believe it was after

Father Cody
09-30-2018, 03:07 PM
was HHH before or after Misery ?

Ah that’s probably the kicker. And I keep forgetting that. Hill House came after Misery but Horns is the first release since people saw an SE book with their own eyes.

MikeDuke
09-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Well, thank you everyone! We appreciate your support of the press! Pretty fast sell out for sure.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xIsloV7zOmt81G/giphy.gif
Your welcome Paul and crew. Glad this was so successful for you.

Priest
09-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Well, thank you everyone! We appreciate your support of the press! Pretty fast sell out for sure.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xIsloV7zOmt81G/giphy.gif
Your welcome Paul and crew. Glad this was so successful for you.

soo ... lets talk frankly ... "Summer 2019" - that is going to be a loooong winter!
Paul, we need something in between to cover the cold months!

;D

Brian861
09-30-2018, 03:17 PM
I severely underestimated the market for a Hill limited. Either that or I overestimated the market for Hill House. Or perhaps no one’s taking any chances anymore with SE books.

I figured it would sell out today and I believe folks going back for second copies that couldn't do it during the pre-order help facilitate that; hoping to flip the second copy and make a nice little profit. I don't see that working out so well as the price was pretty high right out of the gate. Not a complaint, just a fact. And on a Sunday when most folks are off, 6 hours was plenty of time to score a copy at cost. However, it will still be interesting to see what the first documented aftermarket sell goes for.

I agree no one wants to take a chance missing out on what's next, be it the King or non-King track, which helped facilitate the quick sellout as well.

Brian861
09-30-2018, 03:21 PM
soo ... lets talk frankly ... "Summer 2019" - that is going to be a loooong winter! Paul, we need something in between to cover the cold months! ;D

Um, no. Let me get this one paid off first.

Paul? Are you able to tell us how many of both the numbered and lettered made it to public sales?

Hunchback Jack
09-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Congratulations, Paul! Another successful announcement!

Brian861
09-30-2018, 03:47 PM
Congratulations, Paul! Another successful announcement!

Ditto Paul and team!

wizardsrainbow
09-30-2018, 05:12 PM
I severely underestimated the market for a Hill limited. Either that or I overestimated the market for Hill House. Or perhaps no one’s taking any chances anymore with SE books.

I figured it would sell out today and I believe folks going back for second copies that couldn't do it during the pre-order help facilitate that; hoping to flip the second copy and make a nice little profit. I don't see that working out so well as the price was pretty high right out of the gate. Not a complaint, just a fact. And on a Sunday when most folks are off, 6 hours was plenty of time to score a copy at cost. However, it will still be interesting to see what the first documented aftermarket sell goes for.

I agree no one wants to take a chance missing out on what's next, be it the King or non-King track, which helped facilitate the quick sellout as well.

I collect both Steve and Joe (and Owen and Tabitha too for that matter). MY opinion, is Joe Hill far less collectible than his dad....so I expect only a little upside in aftermarket...not like Misery where the S/L went from ~$500 at issue in February to close to ~$4,000 today...If the Joe Hill book S/L surpasses $1200 I'd be very surprised....again MY opinion only and I've been dead wrong before.

jeffingoff
09-30-2018, 05:25 PM
CONGRATS PAUL! Another well-deserved success.

Fsmdr
09-30-2018, 06:59 PM
I don't even collect Joe Hill! But needless to say, due to FOMO got a copy of the limited just in case. At least I know it would be a top notch production for sure. Sigh..... Paul, you're cleaning us all out!

MikeDuke
09-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Well, again, I am on the non-King track and I am fine with that. Like I said, at least I have 2 books and I am happy. Can't wait to see what's next.

Joe315
09-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Dumb question and I think I know the answer (no) but was hill house published yet?

And I may be interested in a copy of the numbered. I’ll have to call Zurich and move some things around first though.

Roseannebarr
09-30-2018, 08:23 PM
I don't even collect Joe Hill! But needless to say, due to FOMO got a copy of the limited just in case. At least I know it would be a top notch production for sure. Sigh..... Paul, you're cleaning us all out!

Too funny. I kept telling everyone and myself that I was going to save $675, I had to look it up but I think FOMO is a disease and I got it bad.

Brian861
09-30-2018, 11:26 PM

I collect both Steve and Joe (and Owen and Tabitha too for that matter). MY opinion, is Joe Hill far less collectible than his dad....so I expect only a little upside in aftermarket...not like Misery where the S/L went from ~$500 at issue in February to close to ~$4,000 today...If the Joe Hill book S/L surpasses $1200 I'd be very surprised....again MY opinion only and I've been dead wrong before.

I agree with ya, David. Hence why I stated, IMO, it wouldn't be a great idea to try and flip a copy. Unless, before it's published (Horns), Paul's next announcement is a must have for folks and the FOMO bug strikes.

Best to follow the condom rule when it comes to SE :)

Father Cody
09-30-2018, 11:28 PM
Best to follow the condom rule when it comes to SE :)

:wtf: yes!

zelig
10-01-2018, 02:43 AM
Well there’s no need to call me a MOFO just because you all don’t have the will power to resist my books. So rude. :p

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 03:39 AM

I would tend to agree with this but the thing that bugs my brain is this... As Paul grows and continues to publish books the desire for new collectors to get his old stuff will grow. Much like SubPress or CP collectors became collectors of their productions more than the book content. The values of some old books have shot through the roof as people desire to acquire them being collectors of the publisher. Do I think Horns will have 8X multiplier like Misery? No. I do think it will have a 2X or 3X though. AND down the road... more even. The numbers are limited and Joe Hill is a young writer. Suntup is here to stay and when we get this book in hand (Like Misery did) it will go up in value at that time.. I doubt much before though... but excited to watch either way.

jeffingoff
10-01-2018, 04:38 AM

I would tend to agree with this but the thing that bugs my brain is this... As Paul grows and continues to publish books the desire for new collectors to get his old stuff will grow. Much like SubPress or CP collectors became collectors of their productions more than the book content. The values of some old books have shot through the roof as people desire to acquire them being collectors of the publisher. Do I think Horns will have 8X multiplier like Misery? No. I do think it will have a 2X or 3X though. AND down the road... more even. The numbers are limited and Joe Hill is a young writer. Suntup is here to stay and when we get this book in hand (Like Misery did) it will go up in value at that time.. I doubt much before though... but excited to watch either way.

Yep. There are Hill collectors and now there are Suntup collectors. It'll forever chap my ass that I don't have a Misery numbered and essentially, we're at book three (not counting the EOTD Portfolio). That regret will only multiply for those who missed any editions of these first three.

WeDealInLead
10-01-2018, 04:55 AM
Keep in mind that Hill is notorious for double dipping when it comes to limited editions ie there's always some sort of an anniversary edition just around the corner. I don't know if there's a clause in the Hill/Suntup contract but keep in mind the two NOS4A2 limiteds. Those were only years apart.

This is, of course, just speculation on the book's value long term.

jeffingoff
10-01-2018, 05:47 AM
Keep in mind that Hill is notorious for double dipping when it comes to limited editions ie there's always some sort of an anniversary edition just around the corner. I don't know if there's a clause in the Hill/Suntup contract but keep in mind the two NOS4A2 limiteds. Those were only years apart.

This is, of course, just speculation on the book's value long term.

Yeah I agree, but I also think some of the rules have changed. While Paul will play nice with other publishers and he will probably avoid producing books with "limited edition fatigue" (a condition I just made up regarding books that have received more than their fair share of attention from small press publishers), I do think that there's an understanding now that Paul will produce something different. His editions will be a departure from the standard lettered and limited variety. These are Suntup editions and they're nearly in a class all their own. Operating at a different stratosphere allows Paul more freedom to perhaps reinterpret previous special editions. Of course, I could just be high after securing 2 editions of HORNS, but that's how I see it. Again, I doubt Paul would want to take on PET SEMATARY and force collectors to own the PS edition the forthcoming CD edition as well as his. But if he did, I'd buy it. I'm reorganizing my shelves and instead of "by author" it'll be "by Suntup."

MikeDuke
10-01-2018, 05:54 AM
Who ever gave me the tip and rep. OK, point taken.

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Haha after seeing these comments you guys are drinking the Kool-aid on this one.

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Haha after seeing these comments you guys are drinking the Kool-aid on this one.

How so? Who is drinking koolaid? Interested to hear your thoughts....

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 06:31 AM

Sure

1. There are people spending $675 on a book they have never touched just to say they own a Suntup book. Some are even entering a payment plan.
2. There are people that think this book will reach 2x, 3x retail when it sat for six hours on a Sunday. I am with David/Brian on this. I'd be shock to see it enter the four digit range being that Hill has more limiteds than novels. Also if the casual Hill fan wants a limited of Horns they'd go after PS'. This will be worth most with rights to the next book, which means you'd have to sell yours before you ever saw it as I am sure then next one will be announced before summer 2019.
3. "Different Stratosphere"...
The numbered book style has been done on better books (Centipede's Ender's Game)
Wooden cases have been done as well and isn't very book shelf friendly (Best example of one that is is American Gods lettered)
4. You are paying high prices for snake skin spines and 14kt gold... ON. A. BOOK.

A vast majority of you are drinking the Kool-aid - Part of a delusional cult that will buy into whatever your leader puts out. I commend Paul for being so successful on reaching his crowd and the books are pretty, but come on you guys need to relax.

zelig
10-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Yeah man, we're all drinking the Kool-Aid and it tastes goooooooooood! Oh Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjEViOF4JE

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 06:40 AM

Sure

1. There are people spending $675 on a book they have never touched just to say they own a Suntup book. Some are even entering a payment plan.
2. There are people that think this book will reach 2x, 3x retail when it sat for six hours on a Sunday. I am with David/Brian on this. I'd be shock to see it enter the four digit range being that Hill has more limiteds than novels. Also if the casual Hill fan wants a limited of Horns they'd go after PS'. This will be worth most with rights to the next book, which means you'd have to sell yours before you ever saw it as I am sure then next one will be announced before summer 2019.
The numbered book style has been done on better books (Centipede's Ender's Game)
Wooden cases have been done as well and isn't very book shelf friendly (Best example of one that is is American Gods lettered)
4. You are paying high prices for snake skin spines and 14kt gold... ON. A. BOOK.

A vast majority of you are drinking the Kool-aid - Part of a delusional cult that will buy into whatever your leader puts out. I commend Paul for being so successful on reaching his crowd and the books are pretty, but come on you guys need to relax.

Well aren't you just a big "negative nancy" today Austin!! I am proudly one of those drinkers you so eloquently made fun of:) So... I guess you will have to pardon me as I am on my way to have another little drink of that Kool-aid now:)

PS: If anyone here is a fan of Paul and his work.. Good for you. Keep supporting him with your positive comments and buying his work. As he grows, more and more authors will want that "Suntup (Koolaid)" treatment done to their works. A lot of people can be critical but forget... Suntup just started! AND for a company that just started to land a huge King novel and with more to come... well I will GLADLY drink that tasty Kool-aid any day!

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 06:44 AM
Well aren't you just a big "negative nancy" today Austin!! I am proudly one of those drinkers you so eloquently made fun of:) So... I guess you will have to pardon me as I am on my way to have another little drink of that Kool-aid now:)

PS: If anyone here is a fan of Paul and his work.. Good for you. Keep supporting him with your positive comments and buying his work. As he grows, more and more authors will want that "Suntup (Koolaid)" treatment done to their works. A lot of people can be critical but forget... Suntup just started! AND for a company that just started to land a huge King novel and with more to come... well I will GLADLY drink that tasty Kool-aid any day!

Haha you didn't even combat any of my points... keep drinking buddy.

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanks, I so do enjoy it :smile_002:

Roseannebarr
10-01-2018, 06:56 AM
People can have different opinions. He is making some great points about a joe hill book that sold out at $698 with shipping. Not even a fan favorite on a king centric site. I am extremely happy for Paul, but he is a grown man and I know he can handle other peoples opinions. I don’t see it as a personal attack on Paul. I hope he is not taking it personal!

cit74
10-01-2018, 07:01 AM

Sure

I will only mirror the comment on the wooden case theme - especially since I own a rebound IT (and lettered suntup books) - I think it might be worth looking at other ways to "encase" the books in the lettered states - instead of a flat/laydown method - that does cause a lot of difficulty in terms of presentation and shelf space going forward. I do not own American Gods lettered - but I agree that is a beautiful way to house a lettered edition - and much more shelf/display friendly - with future books down the road. I am sure that working with other artisans and Dolso - there might be great standup ways to house these books.

I am happy to own CP's Anubis Gates and Enders Game - and those were both awesome productions...but the prices for suntup go above these productions - simply because of many things beyond the spine/cross

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 07:10 AM
People can have different opinions. He is making some great points about a joe hill book that sold out at $698 with shipping. Not even a fan favorite on a king centric site. I am extremely happy for Paul, but he is a grown man and I know he can handle other peoples opinions. I don’t see it as a personal attack on Paul. I hope he is not taking it personal!

How could you not take that personal? It was an ignorant comment to anyone that is a fan of Paul's work... thus inherently attacking Paul's work that IS his passion... The Kool-aid comment was rude. Ill have some fun with it... but come on. There was other ways to say that without being a dick.

Roseannebarr
10-01-2018, 07:20 AM
I re read his comments. All laid out very well. Penny wise was your statements a personal attack on Paul? I don’t see it.

The larger the books and the more creative they get the harder they are to display. No body accused anyone of raping anyone yet. My pretty pony is impossible to display.

Looks like Paul is having fun with it! But he is showing his age with the kook aid man.

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 07:23 AM
I re read his comments. All laid out very well. Penny wise was your statements a personal attack on Paul? I don’t see it.

The larger the books and the more creative they get the harder they are to display. No body accused anyone of raping anyone yet. My pretty pony is impossible to display.

No. I like Paul's work, I just want people to think about what they are buying. Enjoy the text itself. If youre buying it to simply sell then be careful as when you hit this price point you can lose alot. Just want people to keep a clear mind and not get wrapped up in the hype and make brash decisions.

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 07:25 AM

No. I like Paul's work, I just want people to think about what they are buying. Enjoy the text itself. If youre buying it to simply sell then be careful as when you hit this price point you can lose alot. Just want people to keep a clear mind and not get wrapped up in the hype and make brash decisions.

Then perhaps learn some decorum. What you said there was polite and nice dude... insulting people is a poor way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 07:26 AM

Then perhaps learn some decorum. What you said there was polite and nice dude... insulting people is a poor way to do it.

Haha insult? Where? If you are referencing Kool-Aid, it is a pretty valid analogy. If the analogy fits that's not my fault.

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 07:27 AM

Haha insult? Where?

Sigh.

Anubis2347
10-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Out of curiousity and chance of an Artwork Portfolio to go with Horns?

I am really loving the artwork for this book.

zelig
10-01-2018, 07:41 AM

How could you not take that personal? It was an ignorant comment to anyone that is a fan of Paul's work... thus inherently attacking Paul's work that IS his passion... The Kool-aid comment was rude. Ill have some fun with it... but come on. There was other ways to say that without being a dick.

Glen, see my comment #3776. I don't take it personally. Like I've said before, to each their own. I am always open to valid points, although in Austin's case, there are many holes in his logic. Be that as it may, the inherent nature of the internet, social media, forums, etc. is that it runs the risk of compromising our humanity. How often we forget, or don't even realize that there is a human being with a soul on the other end of that screen name. I can't tell you how many times someone has lashed out at me privately for no valid reason whatsoever, only to find out that they were going through some sort of personal hell at the time. Then all it took was a little compassion, and it all comes tumbling out.

I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it. Constructive criticism is fine, and even healthy. I always take suggestions, and oftentimes have made changes as a result. But I do believe there is a more graceful way to go about it. Being mean spirited isn't it. I have no control over that, and people are people. They have their reasons for being the way they are. I don't judge them. And I also don't let it get to me. To Kris's point, sometimes that's not so easy when someone talks sh*t on something you have poured your life into. But I've learned to take that all with a grain of salt. I have other things to put my energy into.

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Glen, see my comment #3776. I don't take it personally. Like I've said before, to each their own. I am always open to valid points, although in Austin's case, there are many holes in his logic. Be that as it may, the inherent nature of the internet, social media, forums, etc. is that it runs the risk of compromising our humanity. How often we forget, or don't even realize that there is a human being with a soul on the other end of that screen name. I can't tell you how many times someone has lashed out at me privately for no valid reason whatsoever, only to find out that they were going through some sort of personal hell at the time. Then all it took was a little compassion, and it all comes tumbling out.

I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it. Constructive criticism is fine, and even healthy. I always take suggestions, and oftentimes have made changes as a result. But I do believe there is a more graceful way to go about it. Being mean spirited isn't it. I have no control over that, and people are people. They have their reasons for being the way they are. I don't judge them. And I also don't let it get to me. To Kris's point, sometimes that's not so easy when someone talks sh*t on something you have poured your life into. But I've learned to take that all with a grain of salt. I have other things to put my energy into.

I just want to point out I am not going through personal hell in my life. I just see problems with peoples inability to avoid the hype surrounding some products. I laid out my reasons and dont see holes.

Roseannebarr
10-01-2018, 07:54 AM

Classy and exactly what I expected. Keep up the good work!

ELazansky
10-01-2018, 08:51 AM
I was back and forth on deciding whether to purchased the S/L or not. For the past few weeks, I had been considering selling my Joe Hill books. I loved 20th Century Ghosts, liked Heart Shaped Box and Horns, thought NOS4A2 was OK, and hated The Fireman. I just didn't think I would continue reading his novels. When I initially saw the retail price for Horns, I thought it might bit a little high for me, but after taking the time and reading through the prospectus, I could see the amount of work being put into the production. My father used to be a bookbinder in the 1950's, and whenever he comes to visit, he looks through my collection to see the quality in the books. Although I may not buy as many Hill books in the future, I went ahead and ordered a copy.

I don't worry too much about future value. I'm not buying my books hoping that it will fund my retirement. If someone wants to buy an extra copy to try and flip it for a quick profit, that is certainly their right to do so. It does pain me a little to see how many folks bought Misery and now are selling it. It is great they are making a hefty profit, but it saddens me that some folks who really wanted a copy for their collection couldn't get one and now have to pay through the teeth to try and get one. Not complaining about resellers, as I have done the same in the past. Just a little heartbroken.

Paul is n just making books - he's making works of art. I would much rather have one of his editions on my shelf than some S/L editions from other publishers.

amd013
10-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Personally I ddin't see any thing insulting or offensive about the kool-aid comment. I for one drank some, but I stopped at one cup. I have never read any Joe Hill book, (I did read 60 pages of the Fireman, but had to return it to the library as I was going on long vacation). Generally I don't want to collect beyond SK, I just have to draw the lines somewhere. Yet, I still bought the S/L and the Gift, and had an oppurunity to buy the lettered and another copy of the Limited, but I decided that my motives for doing so weren't consistent with my collecting priorities. I pretty much bought them due to FOMO (a term I didn't know until I googled it today, thanks to this thread) and/or tulpenmanie (another word I learned from RF earlier this year).

jeffingoff
10-01-2018, 09:38 AM
Personally, I don't get the negativity. Unless Paul is stealing your business or sending you books that you feel are poor quality, then what do you care about how excited others are for his work. I don't think it's hype if Paul can back it up. In my opinion, Paul has an excellent eye for detail and an obvious love of the art form. He pursues perfection and offered upgrades and additional artwork and an additional signature when he had no financial incentive to do so. If it was hype, then after Misery, collectors would have shut their wallets and rolled their eyes. Instead we raved. So I don't get why you have to piss in our Kool Aid. Paul's stuff brings obvious joy and I get how annoying it can be to read all this giddiness from grown adults--but come on. This is some awesome shit.

Brian861
10-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Well there’s no need to call me a MOFO just because you all don’t have the will power to resist my books. So rude. :p

Honky FOMO we should have stated :)

Good point, Kris as far as down the road value for new/future collectors. A desire to own a matching set could be pricy on the aftermarket. Maybe even more so for the lower numbers vs. the 85 that was added to Horns.

Yeah man, we're all drinking the Kool-Aid and it tastes goooooooooood! Oh Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjEViOF4JE

Wow, Paul! Thanks for the 80's flashback! And don't even think about doing a SE Limited Kool-Aid mix or asking us to join you in some South American country for a release party. :scared:

I have other things to put my energy into.

Like getting Brian's request for Rosemary's Baby up and running :)

And Austin, stop throwing turds into the punchbowl. I'd prefer that you just spike it :)

Shannon
10-01-2018, 09:48 AM
PennyUnwise, I don't think I like you.

LetoAtreides
10-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Haha insult? Where? If you are referencing Kool-Aid, it is a pretty valid analogy. If the analogy fits that's not my fault.

If you were wondering, yes, this is insulting:

Part of a delusional cult that will buy into whatever your leader puts out.

I'm sure some people are buying Horns hoping to flip it Misery style. You're probably right that people expecting to make as much money with Horns are barking up the wrong tree. This isn't the way to go about expressing that opinion.

Most people aren't flipping these books. As far as I've heard, pretty much everyone was thrilled with what they received when Misery shipped. Anyone purchasing Horns for their collection has already made the calculus that it's worth it to them. Anyone buying books to flip already knows they are gambling.

ICry4Oy
10-01-2018, 10:14 AM
I'm ignoring all the drama above and just keep laughing at that cat jerking off gif.

Brian861
10-01-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm ignoring all the drama above and just keep laughing at that cat jerking off gif.

:doh:

zelig
10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Well, I was about to start work on that Horns artwork portfolio someone mentioned previously (yes, there will be one), but I will respond because someone gave me neg rep: "You didn't even combat his points. Maybe there isn't holes." So here are my comments on that.

Part of the reason I didn't announce Horns until Misery was published and out the door was because it didn't feel right taking money on another book without delivering on my first. People are more comfortable now because they have seen Misery, and have satisfied themselves that I can deliver. So yes, people are spending money on a book they never touched (happens all the time in the small press world.)

As to the part about just to own a Suntup book, sure maybe there is some MOFO or FOMO or whatever in there. I'll be the first to tell you that if you can't afford it, or it will put you under any sort of financial pressure, then don't buy it (say's he who once spent $10K on proofs because he simply had to have them. Lessons learned.)

I don't see a point with regard to the payment plan comment.

Okay, I'm making books not selling stocks, so I don't have much to say about the investment side of things. I've never bought a book with the though of whether it will appreciate or not. But if your point is that people should be careful if the only reason they're buying this is to make some money in the hopes it will appreciate, sure I agree.

As to the book sitting for 6 hours on a Sunday, I don't know what this has to do with anything. Does the fact that it took 6 hours to sell out have some sort of impact on resale pricing? If so, I'd imagine it would have a positive effect. That's a fast sell out for a book of this price point. Obviously there is a high level of desirability around it. I do agree though that it won't see the sort of resale values that Misery did.

"The numbered book style" isn't making sense to me so I can't comment on it. As for wooden boxes, this is a debate about art. I could put the lettered editions in a clamshell box, but I don't want to. The book demands a box of me, so I make the box. I have seen some amazing displays with these, and other releases from other publishers, and they look great. A lot of collectors like to display their books this way.

Yes, ON. A. BOOK. Isn't it wonderful. I guess you don't think so. They just aren't for you then, which is fine. But this is another one of your incorrect assumptions. The snakeskin spine on the Numbered edition represents a small part of the total production cost. The bulk of the cost is attributed to the letterpress printing. The 14-karat gold cross, while not cheap, is still a small part of what makes up the entire production. Does it impact price, sure, but to single out these two elements in the context of paying higher prices is not accurate. There are many other factors such as paper, printing, page count, cover materials, leather, endsheets, bookbinding and so on. And I'm not including my time I put into this, which is basically from when I wake up in the morning, until I fall into bed at night. I do stop for lunch, dinner, etc. See family too. Everything else is this.

As to the price being high, it isn't. It's actually low. For me to make a decent profit margin on either the lettered or the numbered, I would have had to retail them for more than what I did. Sure, I'm in business and I need to make a living, but I also want to make beautiful books, and sometimes you have to compromise.

I've already spent too much time on this, but after being challenged on the neg rep I received, well you know me and challenges...

Peace

firemonkey66
10-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Well, I was about to start work on that Horns artwork portfolio someone mentioned previously (yes, there will be one), but I will respond because someone gave me neg rep: "You didn't even combat his points. Maybe there isn't holes." So here are my comments on that.

Part of the reason I didn't announce Horns until Misery was published and out the door was because it didn't feel right taking money on another book without delivering on my first. People are more comfortable now because they have seen Misery, and have satisfied themselves that I can deliver. So yes, people are spending money on a book they never touched (happens all the time in the small press world.)

As to the part about just to own a Suntup book, sure maybe there is some MOFO or FOMO or whatever in there. I'll be the first to tell you that if you can't afford it, or it will put you under any sort of financial pressure, then don't buy it (say's he who once spent $10K on proofs because he simply had to have them. Lessons learned.)

I don't see a point with regard to the payment plan comment.

Okay, I'm making books not selling stocks, so I don't have much to say about the investment side of things. I've never bought a book with the though of whether it will appreciate or not. But if your point is that people should be careful if the only reason they're buying this is to make some money in the hopes it will appreciate, sure I agree.

As to the book sitting for 6 hours on a Sunday, I don't know what this has to do with anything. Does the fact that it took 6 hours to sell out have some sort of impact on resale pricing? If so, I'd imagine it would have a positive effect. That's a fast sell out for a book of this price point. Obviously there is a high level of desirability around it. I do agree though that it won't see the sort of resale values that Misery did.

"The numbered book style" isn't making sense to me so I can't comment on it. As for wooden boxes, this is a debate about art. I could put the lettered editions in a clamshell box, but I don't want to. The book demands a box of me, so I make the box. I have seen some amazing displays with these, and other releases from other publishers, and they look great. A lot of collectors like to display their books this way.

Yes, ON. A. BOOK. Isn't it wonderful. I guess you don't think so. They just aren't for you then, which is fine. But this is another one of your incorrect assumptions. The snakeskin spine on the Numbered edition represents a small part of the total production cost. The bulk of the cost is attributed to the letterpress printing. The 14-karat gold cross, while not cheap, is still a small part of what makes up the entire production. Does it impact price, sure, but to single out these two elements in the context of paying higher prices is not accurate. There are many other factors such as paper, printing, page count, cover materials, leather, endsheets, bookbinding and so on. And I'm not including my time I put into this, which is basically from when I wake up in the morning, until I fall into bed at night. I do stop for lunch, dinner, etc. See family too. Everything else is this.

As to the price being high, it isn't. It's actually low. For me to make a decent profit margin on either the lettered or the numbered, I would have had to retail them for more than what I did. Sure, I'm in business and I need to make a living, but I also want to make beautiful books, and sometimes you have to compromise.

I've already spent too much time on this, but after being challenged on the neg rep I received, well you know me and challenges...

Peace

Amen, Paul. And I think he meant the ‘numbered style’ as in the style of the 2 piece slipcase enclosure on the numbered edition of Horns, as that is how the CP Ender’s game is encased. Of course, it isn’t just the same as Ender’s Game with the die cut and all, but that’s beside the point apparently.

St. Troy
10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Who the hell gives negative rep to a publisher? (Unless the publisher screwed someone, committed fraud etc., which has not even been suggested here).

I've seen some stupid shit in my time, and boy, this one makes the podium.

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Who the hell gives negative rep to a publisher? (Unless the publisher screwed someone, committed fraud etc., which has not even been suggested here).

A negative reputation mark on a book forum which no one sees and is simply a comment of a comment is the most stupid thing you have ever seen? What world do you live in? It literally told him to actually address points...

The Library Policeman
10-01-2018, 11:27 AM
I’m Scottish. We don’t have Kool-Aid we have Irn Bru. I bought the numbered Horns as Misery was beautiful and Horns looks beautiful and I collect Joe Hill and Paul Suntup is a cool mofo.

Beverly Marsh
10-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Back to the book! Horns is one of my personal favorite Hill novels and Congratulations to everyone who scored a lettered/numbered. I decided to bow out in hopes of a future King S/L and limiting my Hill collection a bit. However, if this hadn't already had an S/L in existence I would have been all over it. I'm going to head over to Camelot and see if there are any GE's left and save my wallet for a little bit right after a vacation :) (thanks for the tip Brian!)

amd013
10-01-2018, 12:05 PM

A negative reputation mark on a book forum which no one sees and is simply a comment of a comment is the most stupid thing you have ever seen? What world do you live in? It literally told him to actually address points...

ok, I was with you on the cool aid part, as that is a comment on the customers not the publisher (or at least that's how I interpreted it), but I can't agree with you on this or whoever gave the neg rep. I was shaking my head on that one.

There is ABSOLUTLY no reason Paul needs to address those corncerns/comments, he is making a product and it is up to the customers to decide if they want to buy it or not. I don't think he needs to justify if its "unique" enough.

MikeDuke
10-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Some one gave me a positive rep, and I thank you. But they also brought up how kept on saying that I only got two and missed out on Misery. For all those who thought I was complaining or whining, I want to issue a public apology. It was not my intent and I won't do it again.
That's it. I hope my apology is accepted. Now back to our regular scheduled programming.

biomieg
10-01-2018, 12:22 PM
There’s no need for an apology, Mike. No worries.

St. Troy
10-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Some one gave me a positive rep, and I thank you. But they also brought up how kept on saying that I only got two and missed out on Misery.

FWIW, I didn't take it as whining etc.; it's only logical: in a Suntup-centered conversation on a King-centered forum, why wouldn't any of us feel like we missed out if Misery (the lone Suntup King production) was the one that got away? I sympathize with this and other collector "dang it!" moments.

Keep sharing, MikeDuke.

Father Cody
10-01-2018, 12:25 PM
There’s no need for an apology, Mike. No worries.

Agreed.

Cook
10-01-2018, 12:25 PM
We'll at least you got one thing right... The last part of your name.
seriously, you are sort of a tool.

BTW, feel free to leave me a neg rep as well because I don't really care.

Tool: (noun)

1.) A guy with a hugely over-inflated ego, who in an attempt to get un-due attention for himself, will act like a jackass, because, in his deluded state, he will think it's going to make him look cool, or make others want to be like him. The person may even insincerely apologize later on, but only in an attempt to get more attention, or to excuse his blatantly intentional, and unrepentantly tool-ish behavior.

2.) Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

3.) Someone who others normally refer to as a prick, dick, or schmuck.

4.) Someone who acts like a dick, because...well...he's compensating.

St. Troy
10-01-2018, 12:32 PM

I wish I knew who this was aimed at!

Father Cody
10-01-2018, 12:39 PM
I guess I’m one of the Kool-aid drinkers, so I’ll throw my hat into the ring. The way I see it is those of us who are excited and joining in on the conversation are doing nothing different than a bunch of guys and gals watching the Super Bowl together, rooting for their team. It’s a form of partying. Nothing wrong with that IMO. That said, and as Paul said himself, there’s nothing wrong with criticizing SE products, as long as it’s done respectfully. The only thing I hope is that Paul doesn’t pay anymore attention to this than he has to. He’s essentially the quarterback of the SE team and no good can come from the opposition getting inside his head.

RichardX
10-01-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm a huge fan of all Paul's work but Horns itself doesn't do it for me. I couldn't justify $700 on that one even as fantastic as it looks. Maybe I will kick myself down the road but that is just a bridge too far at those prices.

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 12:41 PM

I wish I knew who this was aimed at!

Gonna guess “unwise” Is that part Cook is referring to. Lol

MikeDuke
10-01-2018, 01:25 PM
P.S Thanks for the support guys. It is appreciated :thumbsup:.

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 01:46 PM

1.) A guy with a hugely over-inflated ego, who in an attempt to get un-due attention for himself, will act like a jackass, because, in his deluded state, he will think it's going to make him look cool, or make others want to be like him. The person may even insincerely apologize later on, but only in an attempt to get more attention, or to excuse his blatantly intentional, and unrepentantly tool-ish behavior.

2.) Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

Haha okay but aren't you a tool by your own definition:

1. You are trying to make others like you by responding negatively to me.

2. You don't know my talents or intelligence. I don't know yours either so that was an odd attack. If I even said what I do you would then take that as an inflated ego. So I won't attack you back the same way.

3. Everyone is a prick, dick, or schmuck at some point.

4. Compensating for what? My dick? What does this even imply haha?

You copy and pasted this from Urban dictionary, so I will add in 5 that you forgot.

5. I am Kanye West.

Roseannebarr
10-01-2018, 02:03 PM

2. You don't know my talents or intelligence. I don't know yours either so that was an odd attack. If I even said what I do you would then take that as an inflated ego. So I won't attack you back the same way.

You copy and pasted this from Urban dictionary, so I will add in 5 that you forgot.

5. I am Kanye West.

I think you just insulted yourself (or complemented yourself) according to the Urban Dictionary. :drool:

Top definition for Kanye West

Word: Kanye West

Definition: Kim Kardashian's other ass.

Kanye West needs to chill out at the Grammys. Beyonce doesn't need help from Kanye, or anyone else, for that matter.

#kanye#the grammys#kim kardashian#ass#grammys crasher

by D.S. Credito March 19, 2015

PennyUnwise
10-01-2018, 02:10 PM

5. I am Kanye West.

I think you just insulted yourself (or complemented yourself) according to the Urban Dictionary. :drool:

Top definition for Kanye West

Word: Kanye West

Definition: Kim Kardashian's other ass.

Kanye West needs to chill out at the Grammys. Beyonce doesn't need help from Kanye, or anyone else, for that matter.

#kanye#the grammys#kim kardashian#ass#grammys crasher

by D.S. Credito March 19, 2015

I know it was sarcasm. I don't think Kanye is highly regarded my the masses. I'd probably the definition if it was literal though.

Br!an
10-01-2018, 02:11 PM

Sure

"Drank the Kool-aid" is derogatory. Delusional is hyperbolic as well as derogatory. No one is committing suicide or murder to be a Suntup customer.

There are people who want to jump on the bandwagon. All evidence shows that people who want on this particular bandwagon are not delusional at all. I'm highly rational and a member of the band.

1. I own Suntup books. There is no doubt in my mind they are a value at issue price. Not one of his books is available under issue price on the secondary market.

2. Again. None of Paul's books is worth less than issue. The rebounds are worth three times issue or more as a set. Numbered Misery is worth almost ten times issue. Horns is worth four digits without a doubt especially with the rights. I do agree that there is less of an upside for Horns than Misery.

3. Show me a numbered book that matches Paul's production values. You mentioned Centipede's Ender's Game. It looks like a normal Centipede numbered to me. The Centipede site certainly doesn't make the book appear special in any way. So yes, Paul's production values are apparently superior to other publishers.

4. Don't forget the Japanese silk and letterpress printing. I guess I missed your point here. You are welcome to go purchase the paperback if it is sufficient for your desires.

Saying people "Drank the Kool-Aid" and are delusional are ad hominem personal attacks, and absolutely not a valid analogy.

Joe315
10-01-2018, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1FxfR3lg6Q

Brian861
10-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Back to the book! Horns is one of my personal favorite Hill novels and Congratulations to everyone who scored a lettered/numbered. I decided to bow out in hopes of a future King S/L and limiting my Hill collection a bit. However, if this hadn't already had an S/L in existence I would have been all over it. I'm going to head over to Camelot and see if there are any GE's left and save my wallet for a little bit right after a vacation :) (thanks for the tip Brian!)

You're most welcome, Lori and glad you'll be scoring an AGE! I purchase a lot of books through Kim and it's rare these days that you pay once it's ready to ship.

To address some of Paul's points; I apologize if I personally insinuated the price was too high for the S/L. I don't think it is and it wasn't conceived for the "casual Hill fan". Sorry, folks, but you can't step into a Cadillac at Kia prices.

What I meant by the 6 hours it took to sellout is I hope no one gets hosed by a flipper at a higher price when it was available for hours vs. minutes. Albeit, 6 hours is a still pretty damn impressive time to sellout.

Completely agree with you as well, Mike (amd013) that Paul has already spent way too much time addressing this. The votes have been cast via the wallets and pocketbooks.

I don't know why anyone would have problems with the payment plan that Paul has put into place. Pass me the pitcher so I can take another big ol' swig, but Paul could have said, "Tough. If you can't pay for it right out, not my problem". Instead, he offered even more people, people like me, to have a chance at a shot to own one of these beautiful productions. I understand that some folks still wouldn't be able to afford it. I honestly feel for you as I was there once myself not very long ago at all. The AGE is a steal IMO at $85 bucks so order it through Kim if you can't pay today :) She's great people and it will be well packaged.

cit74
10-01-2018, 09:56 PM
I never thought I’d say this...but after the back n forth I was almost hoping for another NRB post to change the subject...then get back on point...cheers

jeffingoff
10-02-2018, 05:36 AM
I never thought I’d say this...but after the back n forth I was almost hoping for another NRB post to change the subject...then get back on point...cheers

Any discussion that provokes a Simpsons clip is a winner in my book. LEADER!

Brian861
10-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Misery S/L #89 (https://www.veryfinebooks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=76-120)

St. Troy
10-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Misery S/L #89 (https://www.veryfinebooks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=76-120)

That cloth...that cloth.

firemonkey66
10-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Paul, how are the pitchfork bands on the lettered edition created?

zelig
10-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Paul, how are the pitchfork bands on the lettered edition created?

I'll probably do a post on this at some point, but since you asked, the tines of the pitchfork are laser cut into binders board, and the leather is shaped around the tines using a custom die template. At least that's the short version of it. There's more involved in the shaping, etc. The pitchfork handle actually extends across the spine, and around the back of the book.

You will notice if you look at a photo of the book, that the band extends across the outer hinge where the cover board opens. This was tricky because I wanted that continuous unbroken band representing the handle to extend from the back cover, across the spine and over the front cover, as well as both outer hinges. We were able to achieve it.

Some pics of the die template and the laser cut tines.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/tines.jpg

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/tines2.jpg

MikeDuke
10-02-2018, 10:07 AM
That looks really cool. Your entire description sounds so intricate. Really, all the versions look very nice. You really went all out on this Paul.

HONKYTONKSMASH
10-02-2018, 10:09 AM
That is cool as hell :thumbsup:

The Library Policeman
10-02-2018, 10:16 AM
That was what really caught my eye on the lettered. Looks amazing.

Father Cody
10-02-2018, 11:06 AM
That was what really caught my eye on the lettered. Looks amazing.

Same here. Definitely made me wish I’d had the cash to buy one. Or try to buy one at least.

I’d say that and the typewriter keys are two of the coolest things I’ve seen on a book since I started collecting. And I haven’t even had any kool aid today yet.

Anubis2347
10-02-2018, 11:15 AM
What material is being used on the Horns Gift Edition?

jeffingoff
10-02-2018, 12:54 PM
One thing I was wondering about: Will the chain on the cover of the lettered vary from copy to copy? Will it always lay the same way?

wolfehr
10-02-2018, 01:00 PM
One thing I was wondering about: Will the chain on the cover of the lettered vary from copy to copy? Will it always lay the same way?

I didn’t even think about that, and now I’m super curious!

becca69
10-02-2018, 01:23 PM

The chain design is stamped in gold foil and will be consistent across all books.

zelig
10-02-2018, 02:35 PM

"It is a full cloth smyth-sewn binding with two-hits foil stamping..."

So a bookcloth covering with stamping on the spine and cover. The cloth, although not the same brand as what is on the Misery AGE, will be similar to that.

T-Dogz_AK47
10-02-2018, 04:20 PM
I've been away these last few days, but some of the comments posted on this thread lately require my attention. There's some shit I just cannot ignore....

Okay, allow me to "combat" your points. Let's begin with this shit....

There are people spending $675 on a book they have never touched just to say they own a Suntup book.

Yet you are willing to fork out money on a Lettered book you haven't even read let alone touched! :doh:

On a side note I cant believe how cheap Listener lettered is already. I just got one for half retail! Plus it's highly regarded in McCammons library already.

That is a nice deal!

Thanks! I'll be frank, I haven't read it. But the reviews are promising so a deal was too hard to pass on.

No matter what kind of "deal" you landed, spending several hundred dollars on a book you have never read let alone touched, and then criticising fellow collectors for spending $675 to pre order a book is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Following the publication of EOTD and Misery, Suntup Editions have firmly established a brand footprint synonymous with excellence. Given the stellar production values attributed to the aforementioned and the stunning photos shown of all three editions of Horns, it is only natural for people to want a to own a copy, yet you deride them for it.

I wonder what your basis of comparison is? :orely:

Some are even entering a payment plan.

And the problem being what exactly? The very definition of insanity would be to get yourself into financial difficulty on account of a book. If it wasn't for the generosity of publishers like Paul Suntup and book dealers like David at Betts in allowing payment plans, my collection would be practically empty.

Consider this post you made concerning your "holy grail":

Hey everybody, my absolute holy grail of Stephen King books is Subterranean's lettered edition of "The Shining". I am about to start the long grind of saving up. I see one on eBay for over $6,000 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-Shining-Signed-Lettered-2013-SF-Fantasy-Horror-Signed-205112/163049168675?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50963%26meid%3D60a1e8a6c53d44 f3bd664588c60cccf4%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3 D15%26sd%3D163049168459%26itm%3D163049168675&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac73a225e-5894-11e8-a15e-74dbd180f925%7Cparentrq%3A660f3fde1630ac3d10f8f0ab ffffac59%7Ciid%3A1). According to another website, I should be looking for them between 3 and 4 grand. Which valuation is correct?

You were subsequently advised by Randall Flagg, that "4K is closer to market than 6k."

If given the chance to purchase a copy of your "holy grail" for $4,000 USD, would you really turn down the opportunity to do so on a payment plan, considering that you have just started the long grind of saving up? I highly doubt it.

There are people that think this book will reach 2x, 3x retail when it sat for six hours on a Sunday.

And the Lettered edition sold out in under 3 minutes. Again, what's your point? As far as I see it, 250 S/L copies of a non King book completely selling out after only 6 hours is an amazing achievement, and one that Paul should be proud of! Hell, I know several publishers out there that still have copies of KING books available even after publication!

Just to be clear, I will never sell my copy of Horns; so I literally don't give a shit what value it attains - it's the love of the actual book that drives my collection.

Do you mean "better" in the sense that Ender's Game is "better" than Horns from a literary standpoint, or "better" in the sense of their respective production values? If it's the former, your viewpoint is purely subjective and not one that I agree with. If it's the latter, you are quite mad.

You are paying high prices for snake skin spines and 14kt gold... ON. A. BOOK.

....And of course the Letterpress printing on Rives cotton paper, crushed silk boards, Handmade black exotic marbled endpapers from India with metallic gold and silver on a base of 100% cotton rag, the twelve full-color illustrations by Magdalena Kaczan.... I could go on.

You have a very judgmental opinion towards what prices other people are prepared to pay for their books. I wonder if you measure your own collecting habits with the same level of scrutiny? :orely:

Let's see...

Just want to throw it back out there as the deadline is coming up and I would prefer to match the copies. I am looking for Altered Carbon Lettered. Will trade for anything in my signature and add cash up to a total value of $2,500. Or I can do just cash, $2,000.

Thanks for any leads. Same offer goes for Terror Lettered as well!

So to recap on the above, your willing to trade and add cash up to a total value of $2,500 for a copy of a Lettered edition of Altered Carbon, which had an issue price of only $250 or a copy of a Lettered edition of Terror, which had had an issue price of $500? LOL! :rolleyes:

https://subterraneanpress.com/altered-carbon (https://subterraneanpress.com/altered-carbon)
https://subterraneanpress.com/the-terror (https://subterraneanpress.com/the-terror)

But this post regarding your desire for a Lettered copy of The Three-Body Problem (issue price $750 https://subterraneanpress.com/three-body-problem (https://subterraneanpress.com/three-body-problem)) is even better:

No shame in that! I'd gladly give up Misery S/L and a grand myself.

You would gladly trade a S/L copy of Misery AND a $1,000 for a sold out pre order book priced at $750? LMFAO! :lol:

Fuck me, that book must have some pretty stellar production values attached to it... oh wait! :emot-roflolmao:

All of this, yet you seem to think you can pass judgement on what people are prepared to pay for Suntup's edition of Horns.... Interesting. :orely:

But wait there's more.... You're criticising other people for paying "high prices" for a Suntup edition, yet you are quite happy for the same people to pay "high prices" for your own S/L copy of Misery! Double standards for sake of a quick profit.... Nice! :rolleyes:

I will likely be listing mine in the near future for $5K on ebay if not more just to see the offers. Too tantalizing to pass up.

This is my copy of Misery S/L with a Remarque: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263949449710

I would rather sell here F&F for near $4,000 and pull the listing. Send offers in a PM as I will contemplate about anything in the high $3k range. Thanks!

6 bids, $1,803:
Misery by Stephen King Signed Numbered Suntup Editions Press w/ Remarque #172

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Misery-by-Stephen-King-Signed-Numbered-Suntup-Editions-Press-w-Remarque-172/263949449710?hash=item3d749cf9ee:g:eA8AAOSw9LlboBq y)Brand New
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/eA8AAOSw9LlboBqy/s-l225.jpg

This is the copy that he tried to get $6K for. Then $5K... I bet goes for nearish $4k

I am already ecstatic with the price haha. I just listed for $6k and said offer away. I got one offer after I dropped I accepted but he couldn't come up with the money so I just decided to go the bidding route. Thanks though, you offered to buy/trade for it too, dont lie! I never expected above $4,500.

Yeah, real classy! :clap: :flip2:

I just want to point out I am not going through personal hell in my life. I just see problems with peoples inability to avoid the hype surrounding some products.

Hype like this?

Does anyone have any clue as to what this upcoming series could be Subterranean Press is going to publish, which has been requested by "tons"? My dream would be Wheel of Time.

I would give ANYTHING away for a nice set of those!

I bet you would! LOL! :lol:

I laid out my reasons and dont see holes.

Your shit has more holes than swiss cheese. Consider yourself burned. :emot-flame:

Tell me your analogy about Kool-aid again? :lol:

St. Troy
10-02-2018, 04:36 PM

"It is a full cloth smyth-sewn binding with two-hits foil stamping..."

So a bookcloth covering with stamping on the spine and cover. The cloth, although not the same brand as what is on the Misery AGE, will be similar to that.

I'm a cloth fanatic; I'm losing it over here.

Jimimck
10-02-2018, 04:59 PM
BURN 🔥🔥🔥

Hunchback Jack
10-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Paul, thanks for posting the description of the process. Fascinating stuff. I can't wait to hear more.

HBJ

firemonkey66
10-02-2018, 06:09 PM
I've been away these last few days, but some of the comments posted on this thread lately require my attention. There's some shit I just cannot ignore....

Okay, allow me to "combat" your points. Let's begin with this shit....

There are people spending $675 on a book they have never touched just to say they own a Suntup book.

Yet you are willing to fork out money on a Lettered book you haven't even read let alone touched! :doh:

On a side note I cant believe how cheap Listener lettered is already. I just got one for half retail! Plus it's highly regarded in McCammons library already.

That is a nice deal!

Thanks! I'll be frank, I haven't read it. But the reviews are promising so a deal was too hard to pass on.

No matter what kind of "deal" you landed, spending several hundred dollars on a book you have never read let alone touched, and then criticising fellow collectors for spending $675 to pre order a book is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Following the publication of EOTD and Misery, Suntup Editions have firmly established a brand footprint synonymous with excellence. Given the stellar production values attributed to the aforementioned and the stunning photos shown of all three editions of Horns, it is only natural for people to want a to own a copy, yet you deride them for it.

I wonder what your basis of comparison is? :orely:

Some are even entering a payment plan.

And the problem being what exactly? The very definition of insanity would be to get yourself into financial difficulty on account of a book. If it wasn't for the generosity of publishers like Paul Suntup and book dealers like David at Betts in allowing payment plans, my collection would be practically empty.

Consider this post you made concerning your "holy grail":

Hey everybody, my absolute holy grail of Stephen King books is Subterranean's lettered edition of "The Shining". I am about to start the long grind of saving up. I see one on eBay for over $6,000 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-Shining-Signed-Lettered-2013-SF-Fantasy-Horror-Signed-205112/163049168675?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50963%26meid%3D60a1e8a6c53d44 f3bd664588c60cccf4%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3 D15%26sd%3D163049168459%26itm%3D163049168675&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac73a225e-5894-11e8-a15e-74dbd180f925%7Cparentrq%3A660f3fde1630ac3d10f8f0ab ffffac59%7Ciid%3A1). According to another website, I should be looking for them between 3 and 4 grand. Which valuation is correct?

You were subsequently advised by Randall Flagg, that "4K is closer to market than 6k."

If given the chance to purchase a copy of your "holy grail" for $4,000 USD, would you really turn down the opportunity to do so on a payment plan, considering that you have just started the long grind of saving up? I highly doubt it.

There are people that think this book will reach 2x, 3x retail when it sat for six hours on a Sunday.

And the Lettered edition sold out in under 3 minutes. Again, what's your point? As far as I see it, 250 S/L copies of a non King book completely selling out after only 6 hours is an amazing achievement, and one that Paul should be proud of! Hell, I know several publishers out there that still have copies of KING books available even after publication!

Just to be clear, I will never sell my copy of Horns; so I literally don't give a shit what value it attains - it's the love of the actual book that drives my collection.

Do you mean "better" in the sense that Ender's Game is "better" than Horns from a literary standpoint, or "better" in the sense of their respective production values? If it's the former, your viewpoint is purely subjective and not one that I agree with. If it's the latter, you are quite mad.

You are paying high prices for snake skin spines and 14kt gold... ON. A. BOOK.

....And of course the Letterpress printing on Rives cotton paper, crushed silk boards, Handmade black exotic marbled endpapers from India with metallic gold and silver on a base of 100% cotton rag, the twelve full-color illustrations by Magdalena Kaczan.... I could go on.

You have a very judgmental opinion towards what prices other people are prepared to pay for their books. I wonder if you measure your own collecting habits with the same level of scrutiny? :orely:

Let's see...

Just want to throw it back out there as the deadline is coming up and I would prefer to match the copies. I am looking for Altered Carbon Lettered. Will trade for anything in my signature and add cash up to a total value of $2,500. Or I can do just cash, $2,000.

Thanks for any leads. Same offer goes for Terror Lettered as well!

So to recap on the above, your willing to trade and add cash up to a total value of $2,500 for a copy of a Lettered edition of Altered Carbon, which had an issue price of only $250 or a copy of a Lettered edition of Terror, which had had an issue price of $500? LOL! :rolleyes:

https://subterraneanpress.com/altered-carbon (https://subterraneanpress.com/altered-carbon)
https://subterraneanpress.com/the-terror (https://subterraneanpress.com/the-terror)

But this post regarding your desire for a Lettered copy of The Three-Body Problem (issue price $750 https://subterraneanpress.com/three-body-problem (https://subterraneanpress.com/three-body-problem)) is even better:

No shame in that! I'd gladly give up Misery S/L and a grand myself.

You would gladly trade a S/L copy of Misery AND a $1,000 for a sold out pre order book priced at $750? LMFAO! :lol:

Fuck me, that book must have some pretty stellar production values attached to it... oh wait! :emot-roflolmao:

All of this, yet you seem to think you can pass judgement on what people are prepared to pay for Suntup's edition of Horns.... Interesting. :orely:

But wait there's more.... You're criticising other people for paying "high prices" for a Suntup edition, yet you are quite happy for the same people to pay "high prices" for your own S/L copy of Misery! Double standards for sake of a quick profit.... Nice! :rolleyes:

I will likely be listing mine in the near future for $5K on ebay if not more just to see the offers. Too tantalizing to pass up.

This is my copy of Misery S/L with a Remarque: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263949449710

I would rather sell here F&F for near $4,000 and pull the listing. Send offers in a PM as I will contemplate about anything in the high $3k range. Thanks!

6 bids, $1,803:
Misery by Stephen King Signed Numbered Suntup Editions Press w/ Remarque #172

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Misery-by-Stephen-King-Signed-Numbered-Suntup-Editions-Press-w-Remarque-172/263949449710?hash=item3d749cf9ee:g:eA8AAOSw9LlboBq y)Brand New
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/eA8AAOSw9LlboBqy/s-l225.jpg

This is the copy that he tried to get $6K for. Then $5K... I bet goes for nearish $4k

I am already ecstatic with the price haha. I just listed for $6k and said offer away. I got one offer after I dropped I accepted but he couldn't come up with the money so I just decided to go the bidding route. Thanks though, you offered to buy/trade for it too, dont lie! I never expected above $4,500.

Yeah, real classy! :clap: :flip2:

I just want to point out I am not going through personal hell in my life. I just see problems with peoples inability to avoid the hype surrounding some products.

Hype like this?

Does anyone have any clue as to what this upcoming series could be Subterranean Press is going to publish, which has been requested by "tons"? My dream would be Wheel of Time.

I would give ANYTHING away for a nice set of those!

I bet you would! LOL! :lol:

I laid out my reasons and dont see holes.

Your shit has more holes than swiss cheese. Consider yourself burned. :emot-flame:

Tell me your analogy about Kool-aid again? :lol:

This was an interesting read, and a great use of cross-thread quoting. Very thorough:)

sgc1999
10-02-2018, 06:39 PM
does anyone truly believe these books are worth what they are going for?
In the end...the very end. it will be the rare, the very old 1st/1sts in vf/vf, hard to get books and unique items that are actually worth the most money. I believe these pretty, multi duplicates, will find there value diminished. who would not rather have an early signature vs anything in the last 10 years. if you have money to literally burn then i think its a pretty adage to ones collection, otherwise its silly. i say put your money into something with some history. These books wont have history until it doesn't matter anymore.
Just sayin,

Brian861
10-02-2018, 11:34 PM
And I haven’t even had any kool aid today yet.

:wtf:

jeffingoff
10-03-2018, 05:15 AM

The chain design is stamped in gold foil and will be consistent across all books.

Thanks for explaining. I wasn't sure by the description on the site.

stroppygoblin
10-03-2018, 06:39 AM
In the end...the very end. it will be the rare, the very old 1st/1sts in vf/vf, hard to get books and unique items that are actually worth the most money. I believe these pretty, multi duplicates, will find there value diminished. who would not rather have an early signature vs anything in the last 10 years. if you have money to literally burn then i think its a pretty adage to ones collection, otherwise its silly. i say put your money into something with some history. These books wont have history until it doesn't matter anymore.
Just sayin,

With all due respect - Utter nonsense.

I can take my pick of F/F first editions of ANY of the DoubleDay originals for < $1000. With the exception of rarities like The Plant and TNLR, ALL of the early Signed Limited's are freely available on the open market for < $2000. Only Lettered editions go above that as a norm. These prices have been stable for years and only increase with inflation or due to some related event (like the hype around the IT Film).

Ask any serious collector what are the 'special' books, the 'Holy Grails' and the answer will invariably be "The Stand - Coffin Edition, Firestarter - Asbestos cover, Regulators - Bullet Case, 'Salem's Lot - Centipede Press, Skeleton Crew - Leather zip case. What have all these got in common? It's not just because of the small pool of books due to the (mostly) lettered limitation it's the vision of the final book coupled with the craftsmanship and quality of materials used.

Suntup Editions has set the bar very highly, not just on the ultra rare but on the standard Limited and Gift editions as well. These are perfectly capable of holding their own in the above esteemed company. Quality as they say, never goes out of fashion.

webstar1000
10-03-2018, 06:41 AM
Just sayin,

I can take my pick of F/F first editions of ANY of the DoubleDay originals for < $1000. With the exception of rarities like The Plant and TNLR, ALL of the early Signed Limited's are freely available on the open market for < $2000. Only Lettered editions go above that as a norm. These prices have been stable for years and only increase with inflation or due to some related event (like the hype around the IT Film).

Ask any serious collector what are the 'special' books, the 'Holy Grails' and the answer will invariably be "The Stand - Coffin Edition, Firestarter - Asbestos cover, Regulators - Bullet Case, 'Salem's Lot - Centipede Press, Skeleton Crew - Leather zip case. What have all these got in common? It's not just because of the small pool of books due to the (mostly) lettered limitation it's the vision of the final book coupled with the craftsmanship and quality of materials used.

Suntup Editions has set the bar very highly, not just on the ultra rare but on the standard Limited and Gift editions as well. These are perfectly capable of holding their own in the above esteemed company. Quality as they say, never goes out of fashion.

I could not agree more Simon.

MikeDuke
10-03-2018, 06:49 AM
I agree with you Simon %100. Unfortunately the ones you listed as Holy Grail items as lettered, I have as numbered (except Salems Lot). I don't have that. But again, I do agree that the Suntup and other S\L books are special in their own way. Just because of the reasons you listed above.

jeffingoff
10-03-2018, 06:58 AM
This sniping about the value of Suntup books is ridiculous and a waste of time. If you're a collector, the book is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. It's a subjective, personal decision. If you're an investor, the book is worth whatever the market is telling you it's worth (and the market is based on the aggregate of the countless subjective, personal purchasing decisions that collectors have made). So why get bent out of shape about it? Either buy or don't buy.

MikeDuke
10-03-2018, 07:05 AM
This sniping about the value of Suntup books is ridiculous and a waste of time. If you're a collector, the book is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. It's a subjective, personal decision. If you're an investor, the book is worth whatever the market is telling you it's worth (and the market is based on the aggregate of the countless subjective, personal purchasing decisions that collectors have made). So why get bent out of shape about it? Either buy or don't buy.
+1

Anubis2347
10-03-2018, 07:15 AM
AGREED!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

Jason Sechrest
10-03-2018, 07:18 AM
I'mma just leave this right here.

https://images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/384/1200/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_235752.jpg
How To Make a Kool-Aid Martini
https://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/k/kool-aid-11576.html

St. Troy
10-03-2018, 07:32 AM
...to which we must always reply:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1VI9s89xgQ

frik
10-03-2018, 07:47 AM

+1

+1

sk

Brian861
10-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Just sayin,

:thumbsup:

+4

I'mma just leave this right here.

https://images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/384/1200/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_235752.jpg
How To Make a Kool-Aid Martini
https://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/k/kool-aid-11576.html

The bar is open! Oh Yeah!!

webstar1000
10-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Anyone wanna sell an s/l of Misery? I can put you in touch with a chap that is so hoping to find one!

Father Cody
10-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Anyone wanna sell an s/l of Misery? I can put you in touch with a chap that is so hoping to find one!

I’ll sell mine for $8,000.

I’m only half kidding.

webstar1000
10-03-2018, 09:03 AM

I’m only half kidding.

LOL I will let him know BUT he may take up VFB's offer of $4200 first mate. lol

jeffingoff
10-03-2018, 09:03 AM

I’m only half kidding.

Does it come with Kool-Aid?

Father Cody
10-03-2018, 09:04 AM

I’m only half kidding.

Hahaha. It comes with ALL the Kool-Aid!

Father Cody
10-03-2018, 09:07 AM

I’m only half kidding.

If you could just leave that part about VFB out when you’re telling him, that would be great.

MLG
10-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Very Fine books has another one for $4,200 https://www.veryfinebooks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=76-120

MLG
10-03-2018, 09:21 AM

I’m only half kidding.

Sorry, saw this after I sent the link.

webstar1000
10-03-2018, 09:23 AM

I’m only half kidding.

If you could just leave that part about VFB out when you’re telling him, that would be great.

Right of course! I will def do that. lol

Brian861
10-03-2018, 11:00 AM

I’m only half kidding.

:rofl: That's always going to be a thing now, uh? I'm really hoping Paul finds a way to have a blast with it.

Father Cody
10-03-2018, 11:05 AM

I’m only half kidding.

:rofl: That's always going to be a thing now, uh? I'm really hoping Paul finds a way to have a blast with it.

I’m seeing an official Suntup Editions Kool-Aid mug in the future.

jeffingoff
10-03-2018, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=Brian861;1125499]

YES PLEASE! I will put that sumbitch right on my Suntup shelf and toast every time I add to my complete set of AGE's and non-King numbereds.

jeffingoff
10-03-2018, 12:19 PM

I’m only half kidding.

Enjoy a cool drink of Suntup's No. 19 Kool Aid! Keeps you wantin' more!

Br!an
10-03-2018, 12:50 PM

I’m only half kidding.

Enjoy a cool drink of Suntup's No. 19 Kool Aid! Keeps you wantin' more!

Since I'm number 19, that would be really f'n cool!

Ricky
10-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Paul, if I ordered Horns, could I have spoons embedded into the spine instead of pitchforks? Just asking for a friend.

Randall Flagg
10-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Paul, if I ordered Horns, could I have spoons embedded into the spine instead of pitchforks? Just asking for a friend.
No spoons, but I believe a salad fork is an option.

Ricky
10-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Shh...you weren't supposed to say anything about the salad fork variant. Now pre-orders are gonna be a pain!

St. Troy
10-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Shh...you weren't supposed to say anything about the salad fork variant. Now pre-orders are gonna be a pain!

Nah; I'm sure Paul does this kind of thing all the tine.

Father Cody
10-03-2018, 04:37 PM

After all, so many of us are willing to fork over anything for a Suntup book.

webstar1000
10-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Lololololol

Ricky
10-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Just hope that Paul doesn't get confused and fork the whole thing up!

Brian861
10-04-2018, 12:12 AM

Boo! lol.

Br!an
10-04-2018, 03:41 AM

It would be easier to measure out the Kool-Aid with a spoon.

sgc1999
10-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Just sayin,

I agree with most of that. That said all the books you listed were the 1st thus special editions. Not 2nd or 3rd version "limited editions" of the same title. There are some that are the 1st signed limited but titles like Horns have already had several "special editions". And i do enjoy quality, In fact i wish Suntup had done the 1st limiteds. My point is if you have the money they are great quality books. But for that kind of money, i appreciate something of vintage with value. And for the average, and maybe slightly above average collector, i feel there is a better bang for your buck, thats all.

sgc1999
10-05-2018, 04:45 PM
AGREED!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

agreed.

sgc1999
10-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Just sayin,

I could not agree more Simon.

If stroppygoblins name is Simon that would be ironic as my name is Simon as well. I hope we can all at least get a laugh at that if thats the case. If you were siding we me thats cool too. :) we are all friends here.

Joe315
10-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Stroppy is a Simon.

Joe315
10-05-2018, 05:46 PM
All these views aside in the end a book is only worth what people are willing to pay.

MikeDuke
10-09-2018, 08:25 AM
I wish I had a crystal ball because even though we are two months away from Hill House (which looks awesome by the way, to me), I can't wait to see what's next after Horns. I just can't
help myself. And I really don't care if everything doesn't shoot up like a rocket ship. You buy these books because you want to support a small publishing company. It doesn't matter if there
were more than one done of Horns. I didn't buy those because I was not aware of them. I bought this one. And as far as the price goes, yes it is more money. But it's also longer than Misery
which means more material, and more time on that letter press machine, which as I understand it, is not cheap to do. I for one can't wait.

St. Troy
10-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Any guesses on the timeline for the next Suntup announcement?

MikeDuke
10-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Any guesses on the timeline for the next Suntup announcement?
My guess is when HHH starts to ship.

Jason Sechrest
10-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Bill Thompson, the editor from Doubleday who discovered Stephen King, agreed back in July to give me what is truly the "definitive" interview with him. It was my honor to speak with Bill for several hours over many months as he told me of how he first came to receive King's earliest manuscripts (which would eventually become The Bachman Books), how he fought tooth and nail to get his first book published, and what those early drafts of novels like CARRIE, 'SALEM'S LOT, and THE SHINING looked like before they became the versions we all know and love. Some of these stories he has never told before. Of course, Thompson did not just discover Stephen King. He discovered John Grisham as well, and a handful of other beloved authors.

I cannot emphasize enough that this man is a legend in the world of publishing. The decisions he made during his time at Doubleday changed the course of literary history, and as a result, American culture as we know it. This is Part 1 of my interview with Bill Thompson, the latest installment in my "Keys to the Kingdom" column for Suntup Editions. I hope you enjoy it.

https://suntup.press/keys-to-the-kingdom/bill-thompson-part-one

Randall Flagg
10-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Received this a bit back. More pics in my collection thread.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1539104407-Suntup%20Hill%20House%20arc%20front.JPG

herbertwest
10-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Bill Thompson, the editor from Doubleday who discovered Stephen King, agreed back in July to give me what is truly the "definitive" interview with him. It was my honor to speak with Bill for several hours over many months as he told me of how he first came to receive King's earliest manuscripts (which would eventually become The Bachman Books), how he fought tooth and nail to get his first book published, and what those early drafts of novels like CARRIE, 'SALEM'S LOT, and THE SHINING looked like before they became the versions we all know and love. Some of these stories he has never told before. Of course, Thompson did not just discover Stephen King. He discovered John Grisham as well, and a handful of other beloved authors.

I cannot emphasize enough that this man is a legend in the world of publishing. The decisions he made during his time at Doubleday changed the course of literary history, and as a result, American culture as we know it. This is Part 1 of my interview with Bill Thompson, the latest installment in my "Keys to the Kingdom" column for Suntup Editions. I hope you enjoy it.

Wow, you definitely intrigued me! I wrote down to check out that interview within the next few days !

Jason Sechrest
10-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Wow, you definitely intrigued me! I wrote down to check out that interview within the next few days !

Awesome! Hope you enjoy it! :redface:

Ben Mears
10-09-2018, 02:22 PM

Well done Jason. Interesting and insightful.

Roseannebarr
10-09-2018, 07:49 PM

Ugggh. I hate cliff hangers. Great start!! Really fun read. I always thought the $400k was for the movie rights. But are you stating is for UK paperback rights or just paperback rights in general? I am NO expert. Just curious!

Brian861
10-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Great read!

Br!an
10-10-2018, 03:11 AM
Ugggh. I hate cliff hangers. Great start!! Really fun read. I always thought the $400k was for the movie rights. But are you stating is for UK paperback rights or just paperback rights in general? I am NO expert. Just curious!

That was confusing. The article states that a UK publisher offered $400,000, then it says that the $400k was from New American Library. :orely:

Good read though. :thumbsup:

Jason Sechrest
10-10-2018, 08:34 AM

That's a great question! I'm on it. Have already put an inquiry in to Bill. Will keep you posted!

And thank you all for the kind words! Glad you are enjoying the read. I found speaking with Bill just fascinating.

Br!an
10-10-2018, 09:11 AM
George Beahm says in The Stephen King Companion that the paperback rights were sold to NAL. King received $200,000 and Doubleday got the other $200,000 because their contract with King included subsidiary rights.

NAL and NEL were both owned by Time Mirror at the time. It's possible that a NEL representative went to Doubleday but NAL ultimately purchased the rights.

Jason Sechrest
10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Spoke with Bill Thompson this morning. He says that the original offer for $400,000 was an offer that came from NAL-UK. Where the check came from, he is not sure of. But he is quite sure that the original offer came from the UK, though he assumes they had discussed it with US and had to get approval from corporate with an offer of that size.

Jason Sechrest
10-10-2018, 10:12 AM
George Beahm says in The Stephen King Companion that the paperback rights were sold to NAL. King received $200,000 and Doubleday got the other $200,000 because their contract with King included subsidiary rights.

NAL and NEL were both owned by Time Mirror at the time. It's possible that a NEL representative went to Doubleday but NAL ultimately purchased the rights.

I think this is probably spot on! I think the UK rep made the offer, and that it may have come from NEL. But ultimately, it included but US and English rights... the check possibly coming from corporate NAL or Time Mirror.

Patrick
10-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Jason, what an interesting, engaging interview. I look forward to Part II.

webstar1000
10-11-2018, 01:43 AM
Cool interview Jason!! Loved it!

becca69
10-11-2018, 09:46 AM
We can officially confirm that the print run for the Artist Gift Edition of HORNS by Joe Hill will be limited to 1,000 copies. This edition, signed by artist Magdalena Kaczan is currently 80% sold out. If you haven't had a chance to order yet, you can do so here: https://shop.suntup.press/products/horns-by-joe-hill-artist-gift-edition

zelig
10-12-2018, 07:59 AM
There was a brief period of time when I was taking on private commissions for one-off custom bindings of notable 1st Editions. This is one which has been in the works for almost a year, and I had to share it with you. Alec has mentioned this was in the works in his collection thread, and the books just arrived yesterday. Congratulations Alec, it's an absolutely beautiful set.

This is a custom binding of the first five Stephen King novels, originally published by Doubleday. All of these are first US editions and include Stephen King’s signature.

The books are a full leather binding, with gilded board edges and headcaps. All of the gold tooling is done by hand, and the books feature inset silk doublures which showcase the signed bookplate. Endpapers are white silk moiré, and the books are housed in a handmade clamshell box covered in European linen cloth, with a rounded leather spine.

The clamshel boxes with rounded spine, raised bands and hand tooling in gold.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ClamshellCasesWithRoundedSpineGoldTooling.jpg

Side view of the case

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HandmadeClamshellBoxWithRoundedSpineAndGoldTooling .jpg

Side view of the book

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/TheStandCustomBoundBook2.jpg

Close up showing the details

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HandTooling.jpg

Headcap

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HeadcapsSilkHeadbandsEdgeGilding.jpg

Silk doublure with inset signature bookplate

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/SilkDoubluresWithInsetSignedBookplates.jpg

Board edge gilding

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BoardEdgeGilding2.jpg

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BoardEdgeGilding.jpg

The books removed from the boxes, full leather bindings with hand tooling in gold and raised bands.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/TheDoubledyCustomBoundBooks.jpg

webstar1000
10-12-2018, 08:04 AM
OH. MY.

Br!an
10-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Sweetness!

Randall Flagg
10-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Very classy bindings. Congratulations to you and to Alec.

MikeDuke
10-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Wow,
Those look great.

FlyerPhan0826
10-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Incredible work!

firemonkey66
10-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Wow, awesome work, a really nice set!

Father Cody
10-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Just out of sheer curiosity (and an unhealthy sense of materialism), what would something like this set be valued at? I know it’s practically entirely subjective, but ballpark? If this went up for a silent auction, what would you guys start the bidding at?

Beautiful work btw, Paul. And congratulations, Alec.

webstar1000
10-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Just out of sheer curiosity (and an unhealthy sense of materialism), what would something like this set be valued at? I know it’s practically entirely subjective, but ballpark? If this went up for a silent auction, what would you guys start the bidding at?

The workmanship, the old signatures, Suntups name on the work, the fact that they are 1st editions.... My thoughts Adam are well in excess of $10000.

Father Cody
10-12-2018, 09:10 AM

The workmanship, the old signatures, Suntups name on the work, the fact that they are 1st editions.... My thoughts Adam are well in excess of $10000.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was.

Randall Flagg
10-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Is Suntup's name actually on/in the books? Or did Paul facilitate having the books bound.

webstar1000
10-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Is Suntup's name actually on/in the books? Or did Paul facilitate having the books bound.

Paul is Suntup... so I would say either way yes on that question my man.

jeffingoff
10-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Paul is Suntup.

Only when he takes his glasses off. The rest of the time, he's just a mild-mannered Kool Aid salesman.

webstar1000
10-12-2018, 09:20 AM

Paul is Suntup... so I would say either way yes on that question my man.

I would not have valued them as high if ANYONE else had done them. Since the owner of Suntup Editions did... then you have to. Look at his Rebound prices... on Dragon. Now you have the Doubleday 1/1 set. Killer in my eyes value wise. But I am just guessing as there is no way to peg actual value. Ask yourself, if you had the money... what would you spend.. and that is what I would so...

Father Cody
10-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Paul is Suntup.

Only when he takes his glasses off. The rest of the time, he's just a mild-mannered Kool Aid salesman.

:emot-roflolmao: :clap:

zelig
10-12-2018, 09:38 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/zV2dA8yiIu6Va/giphy.gif

jeffingoff
10-12-2018, 09:43 AM
I created a kickass image of Clark Kent tearing open his shirt to reveal the Suntup S but I can't post it here. I must not have permissions to post a photo that's not linked to a URL.

Photo was kick ass!

wizardsrainbow
10-12-2018, 10:03 AM
There was a brief period of time when I was taking on private commissions for one-off custom bindings of notable 1st Editions. This is one which has been in the works for almost a year, and I had to share it with you. Alec has mentioned this was in the works in his collection thread, and the books just arrived yesterday. Congratulations Alec, it's an absolutely beautiful set.

This is a custom binding of the first five Stephen King novels, originally published by Doubleday. All of these are first US editions and include Stephen King’s signature.

The books are a full leather binding, with gilded board edges and headcaps. All of the gold tooling is done by hand, and the books feature inset silk doublures which showcase the signed bookplate. Endpapers are white silk moiré, and the books are housed in a handmade clamshell box covered in European linen cloth, with a rounded leather spine.

The clamshel boxes with rounded spine, raised bands and hand tooling in gold.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ClamshellCasesWithRoundedSpineGoldTooling.jpg

Side view of the case

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HandmadeClamshellBoxWithRoundedSpineAndGoldTooling .jpg

Side view of the book

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/TheStandCustomBoundBook2.jpg

Close up showing the details

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HandTooling.jpg

Headcap

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HeadcapsSilkHeadbandsEdgeGilding.jpg

Silk doublure with inset signature bookplate

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/SilkDoubluresWithInsetSignedBookplates.jpg

Board edge gilding

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BoardEdgeGilding2.jpg

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BoardEdgeGilding.jpg

The books removed from the boxes, full leather bindings with hand tooling in gold and raised bands.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/TheDoubledyCustomBoundBooks.jpg

Absolutely incredibly gorgeous production. Well DONE Alec and Paul. Lovely...There is no adjective that accurately sums up the beauty of these. As a collector, I would be so proud to have these on my shelf, but I will have to ADMIRE them from afar. Simply awesome. Congratulations!!

...and I did Reply with Quote because NOBODY should have to scroll up the page to look at these again...(had to add this)

Brian861
10-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Paul is Suntup.

:rofl: Alec must have gone back for 2nds because that set is righteous!

Congrats, Paul on another great production and to you as the owner Alec!

Brian861
10-12-2018, 10:14 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/zV2dA8yiIu6Va/giphy.gif

:scared:

SystemCrashOverRide
10-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Lovely work! I recognize those book plates! ;)

Truly happy to see them in such special one of a kind editions, absolutely astonishing craftsmanship on that set.

Ari_Racing
10-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Very classy! Congratulations!

jeffingoff
10-12-2018, 11:25 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/6c1fe36531b865399dc3aa0e0c4f9d44.jpg

webstar1000
10-12-2018, 11:57 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/6c1fe36531b865399dc3aa0e0c4f9d44.jpg

Lolololol

Father Cody
10-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Haha! Can I play too?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/4304d518ead54a62417e8fc0315a77a0.jpg

jeffingoff
10-12-2018, 12:27 PM
That's funny. It jogged a memory. Look what I found.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/scan0019.jpg

FANtastic! Why isn't that in your media kit on the Suntup site?

jeffingoff
10-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Haha! Can I play too?

OH YEAH!

Father Cody
10-12-2018, 12:31 PM
That’s gonna be the cover of the Suntup Story S/L coming out when SE hits its 15-year anniversary. You told me that a few months ago, Paul. Remember?

zelig
10-12-2018, 12:40 PM
That’s gonna be the cover of the Suntup Story S/L coming out when SE hits its 15-year anniversary. You told me that a few months ago, Paul. Remember?

Yes yes, I do remember that! :-P

T-Dogz_AK47
10-13-2018, 03:22 PM
A little something for my numbered edition of Misery.... :excited:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/1c32b8d9-ca39-4416-92b8-46318a468a2d_zpsrdkvyyct.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
10-13-2018, 03:25 PM
I chose the pig remarque for my copy of Misery, but completely fell in love with the Royal Typewriter remarque too.

Although both remarques are stunning, I thought the Royal Typewriter was far too iconic to be placed within the pages of the book - so I asked Dave Christensen if he would be willing to undertake a private commission to create a piece of custom artwork, with the view of displaying it inside the traycase like a frontispiece to the book...

Dave agreed to this request and created a Royal typewriter remarque so spectacular, I am literally lost for words!

Not only did Dave painstakingly add each individual letter and symbol to the typewriter keys, he also included "115" down the side of the typewriter, thereby matching the limitation number on my copy of the book!

To cap it all off, the remarque is inscribed: "For my #1 fan, writing does not cause misery, it is born of misery."

Absolutely AMAZING!!!! :rock::clap::clap::clap:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/7719acac-69e8-4800-a2b9-5dd88c869277_zpshuhde827.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/ad8e6c30-2e1f-4108-9afa-d34780a0b0ef_zpsexioeimm.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
10-13-2018, 03:27 PM
The blood in the remarque tones perfectly with the red traycase, so that it pops with dramatic éclat... :cool::thumbsup:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/20181011_151608_zps3qxlrvxk.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
10-13-2018, 03:28 PM
In addition to the awesome "Schwag Kit" I received with my copy of Misery, a very kind member here also sent me a Hagen-Renaker emperor penguin and the ceramic pig that was included with the Lettered edition.... :excited:

They look fantastic together! :clap::clap::clap:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/20181011_140503_zpst3lt193q.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/02ffd58f-7b43-46e0-b209-b8e8adefd184_zpsbvqtz9f0.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
10-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Oink! Oink! Oink! http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr216/pearcenalaska/Grobanoinks%20and%20pigs/pigandsmiley.gif

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/aafd3d05-e01d-409f-a9e3-4cdd45654f48_zps5rihjuud.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
10-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Now to take a swig of that fine Kool-Aid and raise a glass to the sheer awesomeness of Suntup Editions... :cool:

Cheers! :D

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/13575-killer_kool_aid_zpsgq6mkac4.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/s9bPVaK_zpsjdwxryx7.gif

DoctorZaius
10-13-2018, 03:31 PM
T-Dogz - just outstanding stuff. I missed out on the swag - grrrr. Just love it all. Thanks for sharing.

Father Cody
10-13-2018, 03:38 PM
That.. is.. awesome! I thought I saw a packet of Kool-Aid next to the book and your last post confirmed it. Too funny man. Congrats!

jeffingoff
10-13-2018, 06:06 PM
That is beyond perfection! Congrats on a stunning addition! WOW.

ruderabbit
10-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Blown away. Just wow.

MikeDuke
10-13-2018, 08:40 PM
That is simply amazing. I really don't what else to say except congratulation..

firemonkey66
10-14-2018, 05:14 AM
Wow that is a great way to accent the numbered Misery, it looks awesome! Congrats!

Randall Flagg
10-14-2018, 06:21 AM
Pretty fabulous stuff. Congratulations!

ICry4Oy
10-14-2018, 08:53 AM
It had to be done.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/PaulAid.jpg

Brian861
10-14-2018, 11:54 AM
An amazing piece, Tim! Congrats!

Merlin1958
10-15-2018, 03:53 PM
In addition to the awesome "Schwag Kit" I received with my copy of Misery, a very kind member here also sent me a Hagen-Renaker emperor penguin and the ceramic pig that was included with the Lettered edition.... :excited:

They look fantastic together! :clap::clap::clap:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/20181011_140503_zpst3lt193q.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/02ffd58f-7b43-46e0-b209-b8e8adefd184_zpsbvqtz9f0.jpg

Very cool, Timbo!!!! I got a pig and a penguin with my AE of Misery as well!!!! Cute little fuckers!!! lol lol

Word of caution though. The other day I caught the pig trying to mount the penguin when the door to my collection room was closed!!!! Wouldn't want to have any "Piguins" running around!!! lol lol

Or would they be "Pig-pen-guins"? LOL

And would they be able to sue for child support from, Paul do you think? lol Then again, maybe I'm liable for support because I let them copulate on the shelf? lol

I may need therapy........................................... .................. lol

SystemCrashOverRide
10-15-2018, 06:38 PM
I love the quality and presentation of the Suntup books. It's really a shame the shipping to Canada is so high, I was about to pull the trigger on the Artists edition of Horns and the shipping was almost as much as the book, yikes!

Brian861
10-16-2018, 09:30 AM
:lol:@WB.

MikeDuke
10-17-2018, 09:23 AM
T-Dogz,
That is cool that you got both the penguin and the pig. Forgot say congrats on that.

Father Cody
10-17-2018, 09:25 AM
:lol:@WB.

He’s baaaack!

jeffingoff
10-17-2018, 12:39 PM
The blood in the remarque tones perfectly with the red traycase, so that it pops with dramatic éclat... :cool::thumbsup:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/6014ebda-1178-4aea-8606-3dc2f12af1e7_zpsz9twqdtp.jpg

Is it weird that I keep coming back to look at this pic? I mean, it's pretty goddamned awesome. But I'm viewing and reviewing an unsettling amount of times. And I'm making it worse by leaving this comment. And yet, here we are.

Ari_Racing
10-22-2018, 04:24 AM
Very nice everyone! Congrats!

jeffingoff
10-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Curious to know how HILL HOUSE is coming along. Still on track for December?

zelig
10-22-2018, 09:43 AM

Hi Jeff. Yes, still on track for a December release.

jeffingoff
10-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the response, Paul. That's great news. I can't wait.

webstar1000
10-22-2018, 09:49 AM

When will the winner of the lettered find out buddy? I think that is super cool!

zelig
10-22-2018, 10:05 AM

When will the winner of the lettered find out buddy? I think that is super cool!

The winner will find out when they open their box, and discover the key in there. If you got the key, you will be shipped the free lettered. I must have been feeling generous the day I came up with that idea!

webstar1000
10-22-2018, 10:05 AM

The winner will find out when they open their box, and discover the key in there. If you got the key, you will be shipped the free lettered. I must have been feeling generous the day I came up with that idea!

lol I think that will be so cool for someone!

Father Cody
10-22-2018, 10:14 AM
It’s a really fun idea. Looking forward to opening that box.

MikeDuke
10-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Yea. It will be cool to get my first book from Paul. Really looking forward to it.

ICry4Oy
10-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Yea. It will be cool to get my first book from Paul. Really looking forward to it.

It's not just a box with a book, it is an experience!

MikeDuke
10-23-2018, 04:57 AM

It's not just a box with a book, it is an experience!
That's what I am hoping for :lovely:

jeffingoff
10-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Just thought of something: next year is 2019 (I determined that by adding 1 to this year, 2018 ) and we all know that 19 is a very important number for King. And we also all know that Paul Suntup pays attention to little details like numbers that are important to King, therefore, I'm guessing that Suntup's next book will be a King Book to be published in the fall of 2019 and it will be the entire Dark Tower series.

Brian861
10-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Just thought of something: next year is 2019 (I determined that by adding 1 to this year, 2018 ) and we all know that 19 is a very important number for King. And we also all know that Paul Suntup pays attention to little details like numbers that are important to King, therefore, I'm guessing that Suntup's next book will be a King Book to be published in the fall of 2019 and it will be the entire Dark Tower series.

So what you're saying is, I best get down to the bank today and get the second mortgage paperwork started.

And speaking of HHH, check it out on Netflix. It's awesome with an awesome soundtrack!

jeffingoff
10-23-2018, 10:50 AM

So what you're saying is, I best get down to the bank today and get the second mortgage paperwork started.

And speaking of HHH, check it out on Netflix. It's awesome with an awesome soundtrack!

I need to see that. Everyone seems to like it.

racerx45
10-23-2018, 12:34 PM

Can you send all the non-winners a Wonka Bar, to make us all feel like winners?

zelig
10-23-2018, 01:40 PM

Good one Jeff. Although some editions, like movies, don't need a sequel. But it does sound dreamy!

Yes, but then it would melt all over the books. Sigh...

Br!an
10-23-2018, 01:46 PM
I don't think a Wonka bar would be that good with my Kool-Aid. :nope:

jeffingoff
10-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Good one Jeff. Although some editions, like movies, don't need a sequel. But it does sound dreamy!

It would be fantastic.

racerx45
10-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Yes, but then it would melt all over the books. Sigh...

You’re just kidding yourself. The chance to make a self-contained refrigerated shipping box, come on. The Suntup I know and love would simply say – Challenge Accepted!

Hunchback Jack
10-23-2018, 05:32 PM

:D That was really funny.

Fsmdr
10-23-2018, 07:55 PM

I need to see that. Everyone seems to like it.

Am I the only person in the world who likes horror writing but afraid to watch horror movies? Maybe I'll watch it during day time on mute :ninja:

Brian861
10-23-2018, 10:49 PM
Am I the only person in the world who likes horror writing but afraid to watch horror movies? Maybe I'll watch it during day time on mute :ninja:

While there are some jump scares, I considered it mainly to be a haunted love story. The music is way too good to be muted. And I don't mean the scare music stuff. There are some really good songs in this production.

vincent
10-23-2018, 11:32 PM

You're not alone, I've watched two episodes, always around noon. But still, each night when I have to get up for my four-year-old son, it's the bent neck lady that I'm thinking about...

Lookwhoitis
10-24-2018, 02:25 AM

no... it wasnt

Br!an
10-24-2018, 04:47 AM

no... it wasnt

Recovering Kool-Aidaholic?

Fsmdr
10-24-2018, 08:30 AM

While there are some jump scares, I considered it mainly to be a haunted love story. The music is way too good to be muted. And I don't mean the scare music stuff. There are some really good songs in this production.

I'm convinced. Will give you a call when I'm too afraid to sleep at 3am.

Brian861
10-24-2018, 10:17 AM

You're not alone, I've watched two episodes, always around noon. But still, each night when I have to get up for my four-year-old son, it's the bent neck lady that I'm thinking about...

:cry:

I'm convinced. Will give you a call when I'm too afraid to sleep at 3am.

Alrighty :)

zelig
10-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Hi All. If you missed out, one copy of the Horns numbered edition has become available. It can be purchased here (https://shop.suntup.press/products/horns-by-joe-hill-numbered-edition).

MikeDuke
10-24-2018, 11:26 AM
That's too bad if it turned out because of financial reasons.

amd013
10-24-2018, 12:04 PM
So for the Limited Edition Misery Print that was just sent out in an email, should I match the number of my Misery or match the number of my covers edition prints?

Paul did you have a plan for that? I guess it wouldn't be good if some people wanted to match their Misery and some wanted to match their covers prints.

zelig
10-24-2018, 01:04 PM
I will match any number you would like but can’t guarantee. If it’s a match to either your Misery number or your TCC number then it’s more likely to happen. Just put your request in the notes of the order. If you have already ordered and didn’t add to the notes just send an email using the contact form. Thanks!

Br!an
10-24-2018, 01:13 PM
I will match any number you would like but can’t guarantee. If it’s a match to either your Misery number or your TCC number then it’s more likely to happen. Just put your request in the notes of the order. If you have already ordered and didn’t add to the notes just send an email using the contact form. Thanks!

:thumbsup: #19

Father Cody
10-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Is that really your Suntup number??

Br!an
10-24-2018, 01:48 PM

It is. I've been a supporter of Paul's vision since the beginning. (That's a lot of Kool-Aid) I'm letter B for the Dragon Rebounds and #19 for the Suntups. I helped in purchasing the rebound 1st editions. Paul was gracious enough to fulfill my request for #19 when he launched Suntup Editions with The Eyes of the Dragon Portfolio.

Father Cody
10-24-2018, 02:43 PM

It is. I've been a supporter of Paul's vision since the beginning. (That's a lot of Kool-Aid) I'm letter B for the Dragon Rebounds and #19 for the Suntups. I helped in purchasing the rebound 1st editions. Paul was gracious enough to fulfill my request for #19 when he launched Suntup Editions with The Eyes of the Dragon Portfolio.

Wow. I knew you had something to do with DRE, but I didn’t know all the details. That’s really cool man. And cool of Paul to return a favor. Are you getting help for your Kool-Aid addiction? I know a good (19 Step) program when you’re ready.

Tommy
10-24-2018, 04:53 PM
How long do we have to order? I hope at least until after Halloween next week....:panic:

Lookwhoitis
10-24-2018, 05:32 PM

no... it wasnt

Recovering Kool-Aidaholic?

If you wanna see a good Kool Aid joke check out this weeks episode of South Park :D

zelig
10-24-2018, 06:33 PM
How long do we have to order? I hope at least until after Halloween next week....:panic:

There is a max print run of 100. So depends how soon the sales get there. It will go out of print if/when it sells that number or when I cut off ordering, which will be early November. Whichever happens first.

Tommy
10-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Thank you, Paul

MikeDuke
10-25-2018, 05:39 AM
Looks like Horns is sold out again. Congrats to the person who got it.

vincent
10-25-2018, 11:19 AM
I was staring lovingly at my beautiful suntup print of the UK PB cover of IT just now (as you do) and I noticed that artist Paul Bryn Davies drew NEL (for New English Library I would guess) onto the paper boat. See picture. I never noticed that before!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181025/14e77e5b47fb8b15a66190ea348036c1.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Father Cody
10-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Good eye!

Patrick
10-28-2018, 06:19 PM
So for the Limited Edition Misery Print that was just sent out in an email, should I match the number of my Misery or match the number of my covers edition prints?

Paul did you have a plan for that? I guess it wouldn't be good if some people wanted to match their Misery and some wanted to match their covers prints.

I requested my Covers Collection number for this so that my suntup artwork matches.

scarface
11-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Hi all,
Due to an unfortunate turn of events, I am looking to sell my pre-ordered numbered Haunting of Hill House copy from Suntup. This unfortunately does not come with a matching (or otherwise) pre-order of Horns if you are looking for one.
Send me a PM with an offer if you are interested in buying and we can work the details out. PayPal Friends and Family only.
Sorry Paul, I have to wait a bit more to join the Suntup family I am afraid...
-S

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Just a shout out thanking Paul for his generosity in my "lost" VISA case...he has donated to me privately. Paul, THANK YOU

zelig
11-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Just a shout out thanking Paul for his generosity in my "lost" VISA case...he has donated to me privately. Paul, THANK YOU

David, you're welcome man. No problem. Happy to help out in a situation like this.

Beverly Marsh
11-09-2018, 05:29 AM
So the next King book will be announced in time for the holidays correct? I swear I read this somewhere....:orely::smile_002::tongue1:

webstar1000
11-09-2018, 06:03 AM
So the next King book will be announced in time for the holidays correct? I swear I read this somewhere....:orely::smile_002::tongue1:

What an Xmas present that would be eh?

jeffingoff
11-09-2018, 09:47 AM

What an Xmas present that would be eh?

WHOA Hold on there, I need to make my last payment on HORNS before I can get back into making new payments! Though I am thrilled by the possibility of getting on board the train running on the KING TRACK with 65 new passengers.