PDA

View Full Version : Gauntlet Press - The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile scripts

somekindofstranger
02-13-2017, 11:13 AM
From today's email newsetter:

PUBLISHERS MESSAGE

We are pleased to announce we will be publishing Frank Darabont’s scripts for the The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile in a single volume in 2018. These two films are considered among the finest adaptions of Stephen King’s work. Darabont will be signing all copies and we have loads of bonus material for each film.

We are looking for someone to edit the book for us. We have most of the material we need (Darabont has an artist he wants to do the cover art, so that’s covered, as well). What we need is someone to contact and conduct short interviews with actors who participated in the films and those who were influenced by the films (those interviewed would also sign the tipsheets for the lettered edition). We’re talking about some big names: Morgan Freeman, Tim Robbins, Tom Hanks, William Sadler (who was in both films), Paula Malcolmson and Gary Sinise to name just a few.

Please don’t apply for this position unless you are confident you can get in touch with the actors mentioned above, as well as others who appeared in or were influenced by the films. You will also be in contact with Frank Darabont to gather material.

Interested? Send in your best pitch why you are best suited for the job of editor of this book to info@gauntletpress.com by February 20th and in the subject mention “Editor for Shawshank Redemption & Green Mile."

Besides having your name on the book as editor we will pay in a combination of cash, Gauntlet Press books and copies of this book. Feel free to contact us for additional information.

Until next time,

Barry Hoffman
Publisher, Gauntlet Press

webstar1000
02-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Do you all take this as Barry has no way to contact the actors? And is hopeful someone out there can? This sounds like a wish....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

somekindofstranger
02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Not sure. There was a similar email last year about the Neil Gaiman Dr Who novella. Maybe he just doesn't have time to work on each project himself.

Theli
02-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Well for what it's worth he did a pretty good job getting everyone together for the Taxi manuscript, including getting Scorsese's and DeNiro's signature for the lettered edition. I trust Barry on this, I really do.

dnemec
02-13-2017, 11:54 AM
I think he's just busy. I did some legwork for him last year making phone calls and sending emails to authors and agents.

Bev Vincent
02-13-2017, 11:57 AM
I passed this on to someone who has most of the contacts already and would probably do a good job with this project.

Theli
02-13-2017, 12:05 PM
^ A promising lead already!

Aronstg
02-13-2017, 12:12 PM
I would love to see this come together. I would be very interested in this.

peripheral
02-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes, I opted in for the Taxi Driver lettered because of the already obtained signatures of Scorsese and DeNiro. He's got a great editor on that who's also confident of getting Keitel and Foster (currently in discussion). I messaged Barry a few hours ago re this project and asked him if King's signature is planned... We'll see.

Theli
02-13-2017, 01:02 PM
I really wish I could have afforded the Taxi Driver screenplay but alas, at the asking price, it was not in the cards for me .

Randall Flagg
02-13-2017, 01:12 PM
I know someone who could...should do it.

Beverly Marsh
02-15-2017, 06:57 AM
Excited for this one. Darabont did a great job with these adaptations(wish they had thrown The Mist in as well)and I hope this comes to fruition!

Randall Flagg
02-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Per Barry Hoffman at Gauntlet Press:

"...but I've found my editor. He's Tyson Blue who worked on The Green Mile, has a good deal of bonus material for the book and has worked directly with Darabont. Seems a perfect choice for what I need."

Thoughts?

T-Dogz_AK47
02-20-2017, 02:05 PM

...but I've found my editor. He's Tyson Blue who worked on The Green Mile, has a good deal of bonus material for the book and has worked directly with Darabont. Seems a perfect choice for what I need."

Thoughts?

I personally don't know why the gig was open to the collecting public in the first place. It was obvious from the off, that this job required someone deeply connected to the movie industry. Not only a professional journalist, but someone experienced in dealing with A-list movie stars, their agents and respective press officers.

Appointing an industry insider to the role is not surprising, but considering the open invitation for us "mortals" to apply for the position - it feels somewhat of a let down.

Bev Vincent
02-20-2017, 02:17 PM

"...but I've found my editor. He's Tyson Blue who worked on The Green Mile, has a good deal of bonus material for the book and has worked directly with Darabont. Seems a perfect choice for what I need."

Thoughts?

That's the guy I recommended for the gig. I knew he'd spent a lot of time on the GM set and had tons of material that has never seen the light of day.

webstar1000
02-20-2017, 02:36 PM
I really could care less about this to be honest.....

Randall Flagg
02-20-2017, 03:02 PM

That was insightful (although I did ask for thoughts).

webstar1000
02-20-2017, 03:04 PM

That was insightful (although I did ask for thoughts).

Sorry just doesn't interest me.... and I bet king will not sign so meh.

Tommy
02-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Has King ever signed a Limited Edition script?

Randall Flagg
02-20-2017, 03:42 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Riding+The+Bullet+-+Lettered

needfulthings
02-20-2017, 03:42 PM

The closest to a published signed script is the lettered Riding the Bullet 1/52 copies (King signed on the short story side & Garris on the script side.Garris also signed 500 numbered copies.)
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/333/bR6jcf.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3278/wSxOEk.jpg

Now if you want a TRULY limited signed King script 1/1....
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3785/VEKJ28.jpg

Tommy
02-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Thank you RF and Bruce. Seems unlikely King would sign this but he has surprised me before so here's hoping!

needfulthings
02-20-2017, 04:28 PM
As Darabont wrote both screenplays I see no reason for King to sign unless he will do the introduction. In either case King will still have never signed a S/L King script.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7167/gjbStj.jpg

Randall Flagg
02-20-2017, 06:18 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+Kings+Battleground&redirect=no

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1334012254-Battleground%28large%29.jpg

needfulthings
02-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Here again the script is by Richard Christian Matherson based on a story by King so not a signed Stephen King script.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6851/bRFEkq.jpg

Un-filmed Stephen King "CUJO" (un-dated assume 1982) screenplay.http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9493/CvOhVg.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2609/V7iqX5.jpg

somekindofstranger
02-22-2017, 11:11 AM
An update:

Last week we sent out a special newsletter announcing that in 2018 we will be publishing Frank Darabont’s scripts from THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE GREEN MILE. We wanted to ensure this will be a typical Gauntlet production with loads of bonus material and, hopefully, some big names providing tributes and signing the lettered edition.

We asked for an editor for the book and the response was excellent. From a number of wonderful applicants we’ve chosen Tyson Blue to edit the book. He worked on THE GREEN MILE, has a good deal of material himself that will go into the book, and has worked closely with Frank Darabont.

While this isn’t going to be released until 2018 (and we won’t be taking orders until January 1, 2018) we will update you on the progress we are making throughout the year.

Randall Flagg
12-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Not sure if everyone received this release, but it's impressive not only for the content of two of Stephen King's most beloved film adaptations, but also for the unique idea of seeking feedback as to what the books should be priced at.

FYI, although King wrote two introductions, unfortunately he will NOT be signing either editions.

Release:

Three years in the making, we have an announcement of what will be our highest profile book of 2020.

In commemohttps://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2Fb38 a80d43882047836250136c%2Fimages%2Fbaffa9df-ded9-42bb-bd88-72f0cb359754.jpg&t=1575503649&ymreqid=c9b46828-404a-3743-2f2e-d6001c010000&sig=pcoRFVKq53tde77s5q1vBw--~Cration of the 25th Anniversary of Frank Darabont’s classic film, “The Shawshank Redemption”, as well as the 20th Anniversary of Darabont’s next film, “The Green Mile,” Gauntlet Press is proud to announce the publication of Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” Two Screenplays by Frank Darabont. The book is edited by noted Stephen King authority Tyson Blue.

Available in both signed limited and traycased lettered editions, Hope and Miracles will include:

— Frank Darabont’s screenplays for both films
— A new Introduction by Richard Christian Matheson
— Introductions to each film by Darabont and Stephen King
— Behind-the-scenes photographs and storyboards
— Cast and Crew listings for both films
— A profile of the late Michael Clarke Duncan
— Essays on both films by Darabont and Tyson Blue
— Reflective essays and interviews by noted directors Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero and James Cole

Added to this, Frank Darabont has gone through his personal archives, allowing us to include photographs never before released.

All editions are signed by Frank Darabont and Tyson Blue. The traycased lettered edition is signed by Frank Darabont, Tyson Blue, Richard Christian Matheson, Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero, and James Cole.

We’re going to continue working on the book into 2020 with the hope of releasing the book in the summer. We’ll update you on additions as we learn about them. We’re going to consult with our traycase maker to come up with something truly unique (the book will be in an 8 x 10 format).

So, what will you have to shell out for each edition? I’ve consulted with a number of people have received such a wide variety of answers that I thought I'd turn to you, my customers.

What sounds to you like a fair price to charge for the signed numbered edition? How about for the signed traycased lettered edition?

Contact me at gauntlet66@aol.com and in the subject mention “Suggested Price of Shawshank Redemption/Long Green Mile.”

We’ll make a decision and announce it in our last newsletter of the year (two weeks from now). We’ll begin taking orders January 1, 2020.

Until next time,

Barry Hoffman

webstar1000
12-04-2019, 04:01 PM
I seen the release and well I am
Passing. There is just to much to collect and if not signed by King.... I have to move on. Shelf space is as valuable as real estate in downtown NYC now for Me.

wizardsrainbow
12-04-2019, 04:05 PM
cannot order until Jan 1 anyway....Barry only looking for pricing suggestions now

Randall Flagg
12-04-2019, 04:10 PM
cannot order until Jan 1 anyway....Barry only looking for pricing suggestions now
Suggestions are non-binding, but how often does a publisher release info and seek public input about pricing? Of course, depending on pricing, it seems to be a book that any lover of the two films will want.

Randall Flagg
12-04-2019, 04:11 PM
AND, being civil, members can publicly discuss pricing right here!

Beverly Marsh
12-06-2019, 04:51 AM
I like this project and will be getting one. I also like that he's asking for input although I don't have enough expertise to even begin to suggest pricing. I just know what I would LIKE to pay. Lol

somekindofstranger
12-10-2019, 06:13 AM
I havent seen this posted here yet (but sorry if I missed it!) but this was the latest news email from Gauntlet Press:

Three years in the making, we have an announcement of what will be our highest profile book of 2020.

In commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of Frank Darabont’s classic film, “The Shawshank Redemption”, as well as the 20th Anniversary of Darabont’s next film, “The Green Mile,” Gauntlet Press is proud to announce the publication of Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” Two Screenplays by Frank Darabont. The book is edited by noted Stephen King authority Tyson Blue.

Available in both signed limited and traycased lettered editions, Hope and Miracles will include:

— Frank Darabont’s screenplays for both films
— A new Introduction by Richard Christian Matheson
— Introductions to each film by Darabont and Stephen King
— Behind-the-scenes photographs and storyboards
— Cast and Crew listings for both films
— A profile of the late Michael Clarke Duncan
— Essays on both films by Darabont and Tyson Blue
— Reflective essays and interviews by noted directors Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero and James Cole

Added to this, Frank Darabont has gone through his personal archives, allowing us to include photographs never before released.

All editions are signed by Frank Darabont and Tyson Blue. The traycased lettered edition is signed by Frank Darabont, Tyson Blue, Richard Christian Matheson, Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero, and James Cole.

We’re going to continue working on the book into 2020 with the hope of releasing the book in the summer. We’ll update you on additions as we learn about them. We’re going to consult with our traycase maker to come up with something truly unique (the book will be in an 8 x 10 format).

So, what will you have to shell out for each edition? I’ve consulted with a number of people have received such a wide variety of answers that I thought I'd turn to you, my customers.

What sounds to you like a fair price to charge for the signed numbered edition? How about for the signed traycased lettered edition?

Contact me at gauntlet66@aol.com and in the subject mention “Suggested Price of Shawshank Redemption/Long Green Mile.”

We’ll make a decision and announce it in our last newsletter of the year (two weeks from now). We’ll begin taking orders January 1, 2020.

Until next time,

Barry Hoffman

webstar1000
12-10-2019, 06:41 AM
RF posted it a week ago.....

somekindofstranger
12-10-2019, 06:47 AM
RF posted it a week ago.....

i somehow missed that!
Sorry. Just ignore me!

jeffingoff
12-10-2019, 07:00 AM
I love that he's getting a conversation going with his customer base, but it seems crazy to ask the customers what we'd be willing to pay. Most of us have no idea what sorts of materials will be used and how much it cost hime to secure the rights and what the printer is charging and what Barry's electric bill is. If he's asking how much people would be willing to pay for these screenplays--no matter what materials are used--then I guess it could be somewhat useful. But he'd have to assume customers would low-ball him. And as a customer, if I told him that the most I'd be willing to shell out is $200 and that set the ceiling for the book, then he'd be trying to make a book with a dollar amount in mind and not the quality of the book. So would he limit the design, the materials, the bells and whistles to limbo in under a budget?

I much prefer the way Paul does it. Plan around the book. Get creative. Source materials that fit the concept of the design. Go big. Figure out the cost and then price the book accordingly. It's a bigger risk for sure! Say Barry goes this route and pulls out all the stops and then lands on a book he needs to sell at $800 but the market squeals because the book isn't signed by King and no one wants these screenplays that sorely. Now he has a warehouse loaded with beautiful dead trees. But it's a model that goes beyond collecting and fosters cherishing.

All this said, and what the hell do I know? Easy to judge this business without any skin in the game.

webstar1000
12-10-2019, 07:07 AM
I love that he's getting a conversation going with his customer base, but it seems crazy to ask the customers what we'd be willing to pay. Most of us have no idea what sorts of materials will be used and how much it cost hime to secure the rights and what the printer is charging and what Barry's electric bill is. If he's asking how much people would be willing to pay for these screenplays--no matter what materials are used--then I guess it could be somewhat useful. But he'd have to assume customers would low-ball him. And as a customer, if I told him that the most I'd be willing to shell out is $200 and that set the ceiling for the book, then he'd be trying to make a book with a dollar amount in mind and not the quality of the book. So would he limit the design, the materials, the bells and whistles to limbo in under a budget?

I much prefer the way Paul does it. Plan around the book. Get creative. Source materials that fit the concept of the design. Go big. Figure out the cost and then price the book accordingly. It's a bigger risk for sure! Say Barry goes this route and pulls out all the stops and then lands on a book he needs to sell at $800 but the market squeals because the book isn't signed by King and no one wants these screenplays that sorely. Now he has a warehouse loaded with beautiful dead trees. But it's a model that goes beyond collecting and fosters cherishing.

All this said, and what the hell do I know? Easy to judge this business without any skin in the game.

This is a HARD pass book for me. I have zero interest in it.

somekindofstranger
12-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Also, what do people think of the usual quality of their books?

I only have one - the lettered edition of Neil Gaimans' Novella 'nothing o'clock', which was a bit of a novelty as it came in a TARDIS shaped traycase!

jeffingoff
12-10-2019, 07:17 AM
This is a HARD pass book for me. I have zero interest in it.

For me as well.

I only have one - the lettered edition of Neil Gaimans' Novella 'nothing o'clock', which was a bit of a novelty as it came in a TARDIS shaped traycase!

I only have the lettered edition of Rusty Puppy and I wasn't impressed. To be fair it was the cheapest lettered edition I've ever purchased. But at the very least I thought the paper should have been higher quality.

Kingfan24
12-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Their “quality” is crap. They drive their sales off signatures.

webstar1000
12-10-2019, 07:46 AM
There is a couple lettereds that are ok.... I mean one of the ones I need for my collection and CANNOT GET is one of thiers... lol

herbertwest
12-10-2019, 08:09 AM
I personnally do not collect limited editions and i already have the two books that contains the screenplay and the introductions by King & Darabont.... so not particularly interested, but intrigued nonetheless

Hunchback Jack
12-11-2019, 02:13 AM

Couldn't have said it better, Jeff. If I was more familiar with the cost/quality of their existing books, I might be able to give an answer as to what I would pay. And I think you're right in that he will choose the materials and design based on what people say they are willing to pay for a limited edition of the contents.

I'm also not particularly interested in it.

I have some Gauntlet Press books, and haven't had any complaints about their quality. I would put them at about the same quality as PS Publishing, I guess (but not the same design).

HBJ

kingfan2323
12-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Probably did it to simply get people talking.

I was not overly impressed with their Taxi Driver publication. Probably the project most similar to this one.

looking 4: The Road #208, anything DT#246, Dead Zone 1st/1st

peripheral
12-13-2019, 03:43 AM
I bought the Lettered Taxi Driver - It's a Scorcese and Deniro signature, but the faulty was very much lacking. (And it's now 20% cheaper - unfortunate for the early buyers like me).

Kingfan24
12-13-2019, 12:56 PM
I bought the Lettered Taxi Driver - It's a Scorcese and Deniro signature, but the faulty was very much lacking. (And it's now 20% cheaper - unfortunate for the early buyers like me).

Do you mean quality when you said faulty?

JohnSmith
01-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Orders are now being taken for Hope and Miracles. Price is $199 for numbered and $999 for lettered. Not signed by Stephen King.

Ari_Racing
01-03-2020, 06:32 AM
Wow!

Link:
https://www.gauntletpress.com/product/hope-and-miracles-the-shawshank-redemption-and-the-green-mile-two-screenplays-by-frank-darabont/

webstar1000
01-03-2020, 07:17 AM
Wow!

Link:
https://www.gauntletpress.com/product/hope-and-miracles-the-shawshank-redemption-and-the-green-mile-two-screenplays-by-frank-darabont/

This is a wow for you bro? A “meh” for me. I would only buy if King signed and even then wouldn’t be wow.

sentinel
01-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Wow!

Link:

This is a wow for you bro? A “meh” for me. I would only buy if King signed and even then wouldn’t be wow.

Yea, I am not feeling the lettered at all. Sounds like the same book with a few extra sigs on the tip-in page for 5x the cost.
I really hate it when the publishers put little or no effort into the lettered edition and it's just a money grab.

Ari_Racing
01-03-2020, 08:19 AM
Wow is for the price...

JohnSmith
07-08-2020, 08:37 AM
Gauntlet has added a Platinum Edition, signed by Stephen King and Tom Hanks, for $3,000.

webstar1000
07-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Gauntlet has added a Platinum Edition, signed by Stephen King and Tom Hanks, for $3,000.

YOU CANNOT BUY IT. He refunded my payment (was an ass about it to). He says it will be lottery.....

Randall Flagg
07-08-2020, 08:59 AM
I think somehow the word got out before the official announcement.

webstar1000
07-08-2020, 09:00 AM
I think somehow the word got out before the official announcement.

ITs EVERYWHERE now... and he was not very nice about the cancelling process and causing grief. Lol

Curly
07-08-2020, 09:23 AM
i'm so glad I got a King signed one.

webstar1000
07-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Barry reached back out. He is hooking me up!!!

superpm
07-08-2020, 12:46 PM

Glad to hear Kris! I didn't have any issues with Barry accepting my order.

webstar1000
07-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Glad to hear Kris! I didn't have any issues with Barry accepting my order.

We had some back and forth. I don’t think he knew I was a subscriber.... oh well. Wasn’t meant to be. Glad you got one man!

SystemCrashOverRide
07-08-2020, 02:19 PM
I'm confused. This went from "meh" to a completely desirable instant buy (to the tune of 3k)simply because of a King signature? Since when has his signature ever been worth that much?

I guess in the pokemon sense (gotta catch em' all), I get it? But... this seems nutty.

Dolan
07-08-2020, 02:22 PM
I'm confused. This went from "meh" to a completely desirable instant buy (to the tune of 3k)simply because of a King signature? Since when has his signature ever been worth that much?

I guess in the pokemon sense (gotta catch em' all), I get it? But... this seems nutty.

Wholly agree.

Reminds me of when the S/L of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon pop-up came out.

webstar1000
07-08-2020, 02:46 PM

There is more being done to make it the Ultimate edition than just King and Hanks signature and even still.... It’s an official limited now so of course people will want it. That’s what the majority of the pack
Do here... we are collectors.

Scoogs
07-08-2020, 02:47 PM
Is this going to replace the original $1,000 lettered edition?

webstar1000
07-08-2020, 02:48 PM

That I don’t know. It’s says sold out but is it? I wish we knew more...

Kingfan24
07-08-2020, 02:57 PM

+1. Gauntlet has never really blown me away with anything they’ve produced either.

Hunchback Jack
07-08-2020, 03:16 PM

There is more being done to make it the Ultimate edition than just King and Hanks signature and even still.... It’s an official limited now so of course people will want it. That’s what the majority of the pack

It's an official limited, but given that it has nothing written by King except the introduction, it falls into the "works introduced and signed by King" camp, rather than the "King S/L edition" camp, wouldn't you say?

webstar1000
07-08-2020, 03:30 PM

It's an official limited, but given that it has nothing written by King except the introduction, it falls into the "works introduced and signed by King" camp, rather than the "King S/L edition" camp, wouldn't you say?
Oh yeah. It be better If the books were printed in this edition as well. Be a lot larger but even Shawshank would make it much more amazing.... and that’s not that many pages. Just to show the difference between it and the script kind of thing.

Ari_Racing
07-08-2020, 04:21 PM
Despite the news about the signed edition (congrats to those who got one!) this was a book I was interested but lost it immediately when I saw the price of the cheapest edition.

MLG
07-08-2020, 04:27 PM

It appears there are now three editions being made:

Signed Numbered $199
Signed Traycased Lettered $999
Signed Traycased PLATINUM Lettered $3,000

Based on that I am assuming there will be two different lettered editions. No indications were made regarding what the PLATINUM lettered has in addition to the added signatures. Glad I only ordered the numbered edition.

Randall Flagg
07-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Stop with the ridiculous comments. Buy it or don't. Feel free to comment positive or negative, but the U235 comment isn't very funny, and definitely doesn't help the thread.

MLG
07-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Stop with the ridiculous comments. Buy it or don't. Feel free to comment positive or negative, but the U235 comment isn't very funny, and definitely doesn't help the thread.

May I ask what a U235 comment is?

Brian861
07-08-2020, 06:43 PM

Jerome was referring to a comment that Steve made which since has been deleted.

MLG
07-08-2020, 07:37 PM

Thank you.

Brian861
07-08-2020, 07:43 PM

Thank you.

Most welcome.

GenericEric
07-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Duh, of course that's what happened. I was confused for a little bit too. :confused1: Sometimes I'll forget and think "what is this person talking about, I don't see anything wrong with what anyone said"

I'll then spend 5 minutes looking for a post not realizing it was deleted. Don't worry, I'll catch on eventually

Curly
07-08-2020, 10:57 PM

It appears there are now three editions being made:

Signed Numbered $199
Signed Traycased Lettered $999
Signed Traycased PLATINUM Lettered $3,000

Based on that I am assuming there will be two different lettered editions. No indications were made regarding what the PLATINUM lettered has in addition to the added signatures. Glad I only ordered the numbered edition.

Official:

PLATINUM lettered edition signed by all INCLUDING King and Hanks.

Lettered edition signed by all EXCEPT King and Hanks. Lettered “OA”, “OB”, “OC”, etc. The “O” standing for “original version”.

webstar1000
07-09-2020, 02:38 AM
There is only one lettered now. I read it on Facebook.... he must have changed gears and did away with the other one.

Curly
07-09-2020, 05:04 AM
There is only one lettered now. I read it on Facebook.... he must have changed gears and did away with the other one.

The website still says 3 editions. The $999 lettered is sold out, but the King signed $3000 lettered is still available.

webstar1000
07-09-2020, 05:07 AM

The website still says 3 editions. The $999 lettered is sold out, but the King signed $3000 lettered is still available.

I know but the one says sold out cause it isn’t being done.

Curly
07-09-2020, 05:29 AM

I know but the one says sold out cause it isn’t being done.

Got it now.

amd013
07-09-2020, 06:30 AM
So for those who bought the $999 book are they just being refunded? Being chagred $2001 to upgrade? Or getting it for the original $999 price?

webstar1000
07-09-2020, 06:32 AM
So for those who bought the $999 book are they just being refunded? Being chagred $2001 to upgrade? Or getting it for the original $999 price?

Offered to upgrade for a “special” price extra. Not my place to say how much but it’s a good deal in comparison

herbertwest
07-09-2020, 07:03 AM
But at the end of the day, there is no 52 lettered at 999 and 52 lettered at 3k?

It's just 52 lettered in total, a mixup of platinum and not platinum?

webstar1000
07-09-2020, 07:18 AM
But at the end of the day, there is no 52 lettered at 999 and 52 lettered at 3k?

JUST platinum 52 now

MLG
07-09-2020, 08:13 AM
As long as he takes care of those who preordered the lettered, and it sounds like he is, this is the proper path in my view.

herbertwest
07-09-2020, 09:06 AM

JUST platinum 52 now

So, for the sake of the argument : if someone had ordered the 999 edition, but couldnt afford 3k, that person just wouldnt the book he ordered and thought he'd get?

Randall Flagg
07-09-2020, 10:03 AM

JUST platinum 52 now

So, for the sake of the argument : if someone had ordered the 999 edition, but couldnt afford 3k, that person just wouldnt the book he ordered and thought he'd get?

Sounds correct.

webstar1000
07-09-2020, 10:06 AM

JUST platinum 52 now

Sounds correct.

Yea... BUT a VERY nice offer was made to those people and I would be shocked if any passed...

Randall Flagg
07-09-2020, 10:44 AM
FYI, Gauntlet is now officially taking orders from people who did not receive yesterdays email.

playdohman
07-09-2020, 12:27 PM
Maybe I missed this part, but what is the difference between the original lettered version and the new Platinum lettered version, other than King & Hanks signatures?

Curly
07-09-2020, 12:48 PM
Maybe I missed this part, but what is the difference between the original lettered version and the new Platinum lettered version, other than King & Hanks signatures?

Desirability and collectability.

herbertwest
07-09-2020, 01:49 PM

Plus was told above that the non-platinum lettered doesnt really exist anymore?

Kingfan24
07-09-2020, 02:02 PM

That’s debatable. Several top tier collectors passed on this edition.

webstar1000
07-09-2020, 02:57 PM

According to Barry, they are not sure of all the changes. I was talking to one guy that says there could be some very cool interesting items included with this when the final book is shown to all. Lots that can be done here so let’s see what transpires before we are negative about it. Well “some members” are negative about everything from books to the weather but I digress.. let’s see what shakes out. Could be a home run if what I’m hearing goes down.

playdohman
07-09-2020, 04:38 PM

According to Barry, they are not sure of all the changes. I was talking to one guy that says there could be some very cool interesting items included with this when the final book is shown to all. Lots that can be done here so let’s see what transpires before we are negative about it. Well “some members” are negative about everything from books to the weather but I digress.. let’s see what shakes out. Could be a home run if what I’m hearing goes down.

No negativity here, just not a lot of information to support a $2k increase in the price. Adding King and Hanks signatures makes it more desirable and collectible but that is a huge leap in price when the details of what that increase is for is not known yet. Usually books are designed and built up and then a price set . It is just odd to get a price without much details on the product.

herbertwest
07-10-2020, 12:51 AM

No negativity here, just not a lot of information to support a $2k increase in the price. Adding King and Hanks signatures makes it more desirable and collectible but that is a huge leap in price when the details of what that increase is for is not known yet. Usually books are designed and built up and then a price set . It is just odd to get a price without much details on the product.

Agreed. At the moment, beside the list of content there are not any details about what the book will actually look like. Just that cover. Usually publishers share mockup pictures at least.

The way it is currently advertised makes it sounds like it's the 999 dollar books + 2 signatures.

Randall Flagg
07-10-2020, 09:26 AM
Here is a picture of the traycase:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1594401536-Hope%20and%20Miracles%20Traycase.jpg

herbertwest
07-10-2020, 09:38 AM
Can I say that it looks cheapish?

Yes, I know it's probably a mockup.
But that definitely doesnt want me to spend 3 grands !

Ari_Racing
07-10-2020, 09:42 AM
It looks nice but the fact that it's still available show how desirable is for collectors.

Someone pointed out when this thread started that they drive their sales by the signatures. Everyone voiced their lack of interest until the signature by King appeared.

Beverly Marsh
07-10-2020, 11:37 AM
Even though I didn't order any version of this when it was first announced I liked the concept of the book. I love reading about my favorite movies and how they came to fruition and I really like Darabont. If I had three grand sitting around I would get this but A) I don't, lol and B) I made a vow to myself that unless it's another Suntup King I won't be spending over a grand on one book anymore.
Personally I find this pretty unique but I can understand why some folks might not want it being that it isn't a King novel.

shaq
07-11-2020, 12:00 AM
Francois Vaillencourt posted on Facebook he is creating 52 Remarque that is being tipped into this edition.

Not much more detail as yet

webstar1000
07-11-2020, 03:56 AM
Francois Vaillencourt posted on Facebook he is creating 52 Remarque that is being tipped into this edition.

He does the nicest remarques I’ve ever seen.

ICry4Oy
07-11-2020, 09:21 AM

He does absolutely beautiful remarques and is one hell of a nice man.....but.....what does he have to do with either of these stories? Imagine all the poo-poo'ing if it were Glenn Chadbourne doing the remarques.
:belial:

webstar1000
07-11-2020, 09:30 AM

He does absolutely beautiful remarques and is one hell of a nice man.....but.....what does he have to do with either of these stories? Imagine all the poo-poo'ing if it were Glenn Chadbourne doing the remarques.

He is an artist. Lol they hired one to do work in the book. What do you even mean? Lol.

ICry4Oy
07-11-2020, 09:36 AM

He is an artist. Lol they hired one to do work in the book. What do you even mean? Lol.

I guess I missed any mention of him doing art other than the remarques.

webstar1000
07-11-2020, 09:41 AM

Even if he didn’t do any artwork, why would he have to be connected to the book to do a remarque? I don’t know.. they hired him to add some value to the project and I think it’s great. I’m sure he is doing other work to in the book but even if not, I’m thrilled to see him on the project in any capacity.

ICry4Oy
07-11-2020, 10:05 AM

Even if he didn’t do any artwork, why would he have to be connected to the book to do a remarque? I don’t know.. they hired him to add some value to the project and I think it’s great. I’m sure he is doing other work to in the book but even if not, I’m thrilled to see him on the project in any capacity.

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?182-Quirky-King-and-Dark-Tower-Items&p=1028580&viewfull=1#post1028580

BTAIM, I won't buy the book and don't care one way or the other. I just find it amusing that pearls are clutched when one artist is used but it's okay for another. It's all good! :grouphug:

webstar1000
07-11-2020, 10:07 AM

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?182-Quirky-King-and-Dark-Tower-Items&p=1028580&viewfull=1#post1028580

BTAIM, I won't buy the book and don't care one way or the other. I just find it amusing that pearls are clutched when one artist is used but it's okay for another. It's all good! :grouphug:

Preference. Some like some artwork and others don’t. I am not a Chadbourne fan and never was. I do really like François’s work though. His airbrushed remarques are amazing!

Randall Flagg
07-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Can someone point to examples of Vaillencourts works?

ICry4Oy
07-11-2020, 10:43 AM
https://www.francois-art.com/

Randall Flagg
07-11-2020, 11:01 AM
Fantastic work.

webstar1000
07-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Fantastic work.

He puts a TON OF TIME into his remarques. And he airbrushes them. Such a unique technique. He has some other big King projects coming to:)

herbertwest
07-13-2020, 01:00 AM
Francois, for instance, worked on the artwork for tbe letterpress edition of "Revival"

Curly
07-29-2020, 10:50 PM
EXCITING ADDITION TO THE LETTERED EDITION OF FRANK DARABONT'S HOPE AND MIRACLES

In a recent newsletter we gave you a look at the lettered edition traycase for HOPE AND MIRACLES. A customer suggested that we add a hammer to the top of the traycase, similar to the one used by Tim Robbins' character "Andy Dufresne" in The Shawshank Redemption. We lucked out and were able to get wood from the tree that was in the film!

The tree fell down several years ago (see photos below) and items were made and sold from the wood of the tree. There is enough wood left for the hammers we wanted (see photo to the left). They will be inserted into the spine of the traycase so no one can accidentally knock it off.

We’ll be adding a carved in letter to each (A-Z, AA-ZZ) so each will be unique. The letters are fire etched into the wood.

This, plus the remarques by Francois Villancourt makes the Platinum edition of the book a one-of-a-kind collectible (signed by among others, Stephen King and Tom Hanks).

https://mcusercontent.com/b38a80d43882047836250136c/images/f67975a0-cba6-40cb-93b6-9135ca6dfd9f.jpg

https://mcusercontent.com/b38a80d43882047836250136c/images/1466a076-81ab-40c9-8396-8d135bc4dff2.jpg

Randall Flagg
07-30-2020, 08:40 AM
That's cool. Whoever thought of the rock hammer is a genius.

webstar1000
07-30-2020, 08:41 AM
That's cool. Whoever thought of the rock hammer is a genius.

It’s amazing I have to say....

Munnecom
07-30-2020, 09:19 AM
You guys know there’s a whole line of merchandise made from the wood of that tree, right?

Joe315
07-30-2020, 09:22 AM
You guys know there’s a whole line of merchandise made from the wood of that tree, right?

It says as much in Curly's post.

Munnecom
07-30-2020, 09:24 AM
:doh:

Redding is hart, you know...

Randall Flagg
07-30-2020, 09:24 AM
I'm aware of that. It's still a great idea to use the mini rock hammer with the letter stamped into the handle. That plus having the Villancourt remarques all make the price a bit more palatable.

webstar1000
07-30-2020, 09:26 AM
I'm aware of that. It's still a great idea to use the mini rock hammer with the letter stamped into the handle. That plus having the Villancourt remarques all make the price a bit more palatable.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/26FLgGTPUDH6UGAbm/giphy.gif

Randall Flagg
08-15-2020, 09:19 AM
New pic of case with hammer:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1597511925-Hope%20and%20Miracles%20Hammer%20view%20756x691.jp g

herbertwest
08-15-2020, 10:15 AM
I am not a customer, so who cares about my opinion. But I don't like the red color.

DoctorZaius
08-15-2020, 01:19 PM
I am not a customer, so who cares about my opinion. But I don't like the red color.

I quite agree.

I would have pulled the trigger on it if Tim Robbins had also signed. To have King, Hanks, Robbins, and Darabont sign would have made sense to me.

Ari_Racing
08-15-2020, 01:50 PM
I value the fact they're trying to improve the edition.

herbertwest
08-15-2020, 03:18 PM

Well, they definitely have to justify the extra 2k for the first announcements..

Randall Flagg
08-15-2020, 03:18 PM
Agreed.
Pos rep for Ari

Randall Flagg
08-15-2020, 03:24 PM
I just don't get the negativity for Gauntlet.
Is the edition expensive, yes, but people who aren't even buying one are piling on. Christ, King is signing them, I don't care about Tim Robbins not signing it.

Kingfan24
08-15-2020, 04:55 PM

i mean the price literally only increased because King is signing it. you can't tell me the rock hammer added 2k to the price.

Curly
08-15-2020, 11:54 PM
I never paid an extra 2k for my copy. None of the original buyers did.

webstar1000
08-16-2020, 03:49 AM

I agree. King signature, hammer, the newer bindings, and the original artwork all do add for sure: $2k? I will hold judgement till I see it. But like what I’m seeing.

webstar1000
08-16-2020, 03:50 AM
I never paid an extra 2k for my copy. None of the original buyers did.

$1500 though. Still a big jump but again... def more value for you paying that price

sentinel
08-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Why is anyone surprised at the price? PS publishing started this years ago with the anniversary editions. Take the same book you just printed, tip in a signature sheet, put it
in a traycase and add a piece of art and charge 3-4K (depending on exchange rate) just because it has a King signature.
At least the Hope and Miracles has Tom Hanks signature too!
Actually, now that I think about it the worst was TGWLTG, they stuck a signature page in the exact same book and charged $1000!

Brian861
08-16-2020, 06:30 AM
Why is anyone surprised at the price? PS publishing started this years ago with the anniversary editions. Take the same book you just printed, tip in a signature sheet, put it
in a traycase and add a piece of art and charge 3-4K (depending on exchange rate) just because it has a King signature.
Actually, now that I think about it the worst was TGWLTG, they stuck a signature page in the exact same book and charged $1000!

And people paid. They will always pay.

Brian861
08-16-2020, 06:35 AM
Is the edition expensive, yes, but people who aren't even buying one are piling on. Christ, King is signing them, I don't care about Tim Robbins not signing it.

Seems to be the case anytime something expensive is put out. Not in my tax bracket so I couldn't give a rat's ass personally.

Kingfan24
08-16-2020, 06:43 AM

Seems to be the case anytime something expensive is put out. Not in my tax bracket so I couldn't give a rat's ass personally.

That’s definitely not the case. Why aren’t people complaining about Suntup’s lettered editions? Because this edition is a poorly designed cash grab. King isn’t even contributing to the book as of this moment.

Ari_Racing
08-16-2020, 06:48 AM

Actually, it had an extra pop up. 😊

Brian861
08-16-2020, 07:27 AM

That’s definitely not the case. Why aren’t people complaining about Suntup’s lettered editions? Because this edition is a poorly designed cash grab. King isn’t even contributing to the book as of this moment.

I never really heard any rumbles about Suntup's lettereds, but in the beginning, folks sure were complaining about the numbered prices. That has pretty much seemed to have gone by the wayside in Suntup's case at least. But to echo RF again, those folks never intended to purchase them anyway. Some just want something for nothing. Wouldn't you agree, Nick that King's dog could shit in a box and if it's signed, let's just say there's a market :)

Brian861
08-16-2020, 07:29 AM

Actually, it had an extra pop up. 😊

So what you're saying is, it's a $1,000 a pop :)

Ari_Racing
08-16-2020, 07:35 AM
LOL!

Curly
08-16-2020, 07:39 AM

I never really heard any rumbles about Suntup's lettereds, but in the beginning, folks sure were complaining about the numbered prices. That has pretty much seemed to have gone by the wayside in Suntup's case at least. But to echo RF again, those folks never intended to purchase them anyway. Some just want something for nothing. Wouldn't you agree, Nick that King's dog could shit in a box and if it's signed, let's just say there's a market :)

I would buy it if it was signed.

Kingfan24
08-16-2020, 07:51 AM

Well, you know what they say. There’s a sucker born every minute lol.

webstar1000
10-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Wow. Just announced that Morgan Freeman is now singing the book! That’s awesome!!

Randall Flagg
10-15-2020, 02:17 PM
That's great!

The Library Policeman
10-15-2020, 05:57 PM
Morgan Freeman is now singing the book!

On Audible? :evil:

webstar1000
10-16-2020, 03:37 AM
Morgan Freeman is now singing the book!

On Audible? :evil:

SIGNING* (damm Iphone!! lol)