PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Authors That Aren't Stephen King

Girlystevedave
01-19-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on authors to explore.
I became obsessed with King's works at a young age, so I spent most of my life consuming everything written by him, which kept me from venturing off into other authors' works. Now that I'm pretty much caught up on King's works, I'm constantly looking for that "new" author whose writing and storytelling completely sucks me in. I've come across a few over the past few years, such as Gareth Powell, Maggie O'Farrell, Blake Crouch (although I've yet to read anything other than the Pines series by him), and Piers Anthony.
There are plenty of collection and/or discussion threads on the sites devoted to specific authors, but I don't know where to start.

So, give me suggestions! Tell me what authors you love an what kind of stories they tell. :)

Tommy
01-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Joyce Carol Oates disturbs the hell out of me. She has a ton of books and from what I've read so far, none of it has been supernatural in nature. Her book Zombie is loosely based on Jeffrey Dahmer and is very short. I'm slowly chugging through her work as the library gets more and more large prints from her. I just love her!

Anne Rice is another author I just started reading a few years back. I wound up reading seventeen of her novels in a row. She's a history and art buff that immerses herself in research for the time period she is writing about. Not only are her books very entertaining, disturbing (she goes to some places King has not dared with violence and sexuality) but they are also informative.

Kealan Patrick Burke is another writer I would suggest if you like King. He has some very wicked/disturbing books.

Robert McCammon is just great if you haven't gotten around to him yet.

Theli
01-19-2017, 12:27 PM
I'll rattle off my favourite authors, though I won't say they are specifically recommendations.

Robert E. Howard: Creator of Conan and more or less the entirety of the Sword & Sorcery genre. His style is quite dark and fantastic, violent, filled with striking imagery and not bound by modern rules of fantasy.

Michael Moorcock: Creator of Elric and the Eternal Champion cycle. He was one of the first authors to utilize the idea of a multiverse, and I guarantee you King, whether he has admitted it or not, was heavily influenced by Moorcock, especially when regarding his Dark Tower series. The stories he is most famous for are generally regarded as Sword & Sorcery, and the writing style could be likened to my description of Howard's work. That said he tended go against the grain with characters and outcomes. Also his works have delved in several other genres, sci-fi, steampunk etc.

Jim Thompson: Famous for The Killer Inside Me, The Grifters etc. etc. He's not a series writer, but an excellent novelist. He's like Steinbeck if Steinbeck hated everyone and held no hope for America. His novels tend to be very violent crime dramas. They are often from the point of the criminal or at least with a sympathetic eye to it.

James Ellroy: Famous for Black Dahlia, L.A. Confidential etc. Ellroy writes twisting, dark crime mysteries, rife with tough talkin' guys and sultry femme fatales. His style is gut wrenching with staccato sentences that pack a real punch. One can trace his influences to the aforementioned Thompson as well as detective fiction masters like Raymond Chandler.

Also worth mentioning is Mary Shelley, Frankenstein is a masterwork, and J.R.R. Tolkien.

becca69
01-19-2017, 12:37 PM
I guess it would depend on what you like - if you want to look outside of the horror genre, here is a start:

Some great fantasy authors - Mark Lawrence (dark & humorous), Sebastien De Castell, Patrick Rothfuss (amazing story of Kvothe, told over a period of 3 days, where each book is one day of the telling - Book 3 not finished), Joe Abercrombie

Sci Fi/Dystopian - Pierce Brown, Hugh Howey

Supernatural Humor - Christopher Moore

Fiction - Jeff Lindsay (Dexter series), Diana Gabaldon (historical adventure, time travel romance)

What Tommy said - Anne Rice

Straight up popcorn read - JR Ward (vampire romance/urban fantasy), Karen Marie Moning (Dark Faery urban fantasy), Darynda Jones (Grim Reaper romance/mystery), Patricia Briggs (skin walker/werewolf urban fantasy)

Girlystevedave
01-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Woah, you guys have come back with a lot for me! :lol:
So much that I'll have to take some time to use Goodreads to cross-reference the names you've tossed out there.
Thanks, guys.

Becca: I am always up for any genre at all. I have to say that, while King is my favorite author, his stories never felt like complete horror to me, so I think I may be a bit of a wuss when it comes to other writers' versions of horror. :lol:

I really do like to test out all types of genres, whether it be sci-fi, suspense, adventure, romance, etc. If it's written well and sucks me in, I don't care what category it's in. :)

Tommy
01-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Oh yeah I love those Dexter books! I still need to read the last two. The first two are classics in my opinion. They are much darker than the Showtime show.

Another one I love but doesn't write nearly enough these days is Bret Easton Ellis.

Scott Sigler is a lot of fun as well. Sci-fi/Horror that has a definite King feel.

mae
01-19-2017, 03:15 PM
I'll second Joyce Carol Oates and add Patricia Highsmith, similar vibes. Other favorites authors include Michael Crichton, Philip Roth, Kurt Vonnegut, John Updike, Haruki Mirakami, Chuck Palahniuk...

Heather19
01-19-2017, 03:45 PM
My favorite authors would be:

Chuck Palahniuk - Most especially his earlier books. I've had a hard time getting into some of his more recent ones. But Fight Club, Lullaby, Survivor, Invisible Monsters, Choke, Diary are all excellent. And he is still one of those authors that I'll buy every book he releases.
Blake Crouch - My new favorite. I need say no more.
Dan Simmons - He has written some of my all-time favorite stories. The Terror (which is historical fiction), and Summer of Night (which is horror and very reminiscent of It).
Joe Hill
Jane Austen

And then I just have a bunch of favorite books, but I haven't necessarily read a lot of the authors remaining work, or they haven't released a lot of books.

fernandito
01-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Ricky, if you want hard, hard sci fi, Dan Simmons' Hyperion novels are absolutely out of this world. No pun intended.

Heather19
01-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Ricky, if you want hard, hard sci fi, Dan Simmons' Hyperion novels are absolutely out of this world. No pun intended.

Did you just confuse Amanda with Ricky? I've been doing that too since she changed her av :rofl:

FennyBate
01-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Some names, off the top of my head-
Shirley Jackson
Ramsey Campbell - especially his short fiction
Charles L. Grant
Laird Barron
Robert Bloch

If you like 'small town' stories, like King does so well, definitely check out Charles Grant's 'Oxrun Station' stories.

Jackson is more psychological thriller/drama than horror, but really gets under your skin.

Laird Barron is a contemporary Lovecraftian author, who has created his own mythos. Not worth reading an
individual random story IMO, better to start at the start.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Tastes are surely different. I agree wholeheartedly about Bloch and Vonnegut. I find Joyce Carol Oates totally unreadable, as well as Ramsey Campbell.

I am more old school I guess. I would recommend TO YOUR SCATTERED BODIES GO by Philip Jose Farmer, THE LAST CASTLE and the LYONESSE trilogy by Jack Vance, NIGHT OF THE RIPPER by Bloch, BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS by Vonnegut, almost any Mike Resnick book, and I also like Ben Bova who I think is a highly underrated author. Also I AM LEGEND or THE SHRINKING MAN by Richard Matheson. Ok, I'll stop now.

I am adding Thomas Harris after reading DoctorZaius's post below. I could not put down RED DRAGON, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS or HANNIBAL RISING (might have had something to do with the fact I was playing with Crazy Glue at the time though).

DoctorZaius
01-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Thomas Harris
Clive Barker
Dan Simmons
Dennis Lehane (early novels)
Steig Larsson
Brian Lumley (love the Necroscope series)
Joe Hill
Lee Child (love Jack Reacher - no, not the Tom Cruise version)
Dean R Koontz (back when he used the "R" as the middle initial he was great)
Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, Sirens of Titan)
Kafka (for when I am really depressed)

Tommy
01-19-2017, 07:31 PM
I'll second Thomas Harris, Clive Barker and Philip Roth and I'll third Palahniuk. I haven't read much of Simmons but what I have read I've liked a lot.

Jack Ketchum is another writer I really dig but his work can be quite extreme. I also really like Edward Lee but he is definitely not for everyone.

Theli
01-19-2017, 07:49 PM
I'll second Joyce Carol Oates and add Patricia Highsmith, similar vibes. Other favorites authors include Michael Crichton, Philip Roth, Kurt Vonnegut, John Updike, Haruki Mirakami, Chuck Palahniuk...

I'm going to second Patricia Highsmith. I read The Talented Mr. Ripley last year and loved it. The other short works of hers that I had read I'd enjoyed greatly too.

Lumley, Harris and Barker are great too.

needfulthings
01-19-2017, 08:03 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/2361/crXOrY.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/2418/GcFFMS.jpg

biomieg
01-20-2017, 06:28 AM
Many of my favorites were mentioned already. Also worth checking out IMO: Cody McFadyen (he wrote a couple of great serial killer novels and then simply disappeared), Daniel Hecht (for some great 'neuropsychological noir' novels). Hugh Howey (Wool trilogy). Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy).

DoctorZaius
01-20-2017, 10:57 AM
I have seen good and bad comments regarding Joyce Carol Oates, and I thought I would share at least one plug. I remember reading through her sliver of a book called Black Water. The narrative is suffocating - pun intended. The novel (novella?) unfolds as a young woman is drowning in a car after it plunges off an old bridge and into murky water. The driver? A man referred to as The Senator. Ringing any bells? Let's just say that it is probably not a Kennedy family favorite. The novel moves back and forth, between the young woman hoping The Senator will come back to save her as she drowns, and the flash backs we see that lead to her tragic death. Well worth a few hours time. Very affecting.

Tommy
01-20-2017, 11:08 AM
I've noticed that JCO often likes to work from real life stories. Her book The Sacrifice is based off of the infamous Tawana Brawley case. She is fearless in her choices of subject matter. Black Water is a really good read. I haven't read anything by her I haven't either really liked or loved yet.

mae
01-20-2017, 11:20 AM
She's got tons of books, probably more than King.

dnemec
01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
I have seen good and bad comments regarding Joyce Carol Oates, and I thought I would share at least one plug. I remember reading through her sliver of a book called Black Water. The narrative is suffocating - pun intended. The novel (novella?) unfolds as a young woman is drowning in a car after it plunges off an old bridge and into murky water. The driver? A man referred to as The Senator. Ringing any bells? Let's just say that it is probably not a Kennedy family favorite. The novel moves back and forth, between the young woman hoping The Senator will come back to save her as she drowns, and the flash backs we see that lead to her tragic death. Well worth a few hours time. Very affecting.

Oooo...this sounds good. Just ordered it on Paperback Swap. Thanks!

DoctorZaius
01-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Oooo...this sounds good. Just ordered it on Paperback Swap. Thanks!

Hope it moves you. Thanks for the rep!

wolfehr
01-20-2017, 11:24 PM
John R Little is one of my favorite authors and I don't see him mentioned often. He mostly writes short stories and novellas in the horror and dark fantasy genre.

If you're looking for short stories I recommend Little Things. Most of the stories in it are amazing, but Cruel Eyes and Placeholders were my favorites.

If you're looking for a novella I recommend The Memory Tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Girlystevedave
01-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Joyce Carol Oates disturbs the hell out of me. She has a ton of books and from what I've read so far, none of it has been supernatural in nature. Her book Zombie is loosely based on Jeffrey Dahmer and is very short. I'm slowly chugging through her work as the library gets more and more large prints from her. I just love her!

Anne Rice is another author I just started reading a few years back. I wound up reading seventeen of her novels in a row. She's a history and art buff that immerses herself in research for the time period she is writing about. Not only are her books very entertaining, disturbing (she goes to some places King has not dared with violence and sexuality) but they are also informative.

Kealan Patrick Burke is another writer I would suggest if you like King. He has some very wicked/disturbing books.

Robert McCammon is just great if you haven't gotten around to him yet.

Robert McCammon is one that I am pretty interested in checking out. Actually seeing the collection thread on him is what prompted me to start this thread. The Wolf's Hour and Boy's Life are the ones I'm curious about. Or, is there a better book to start with?
Anne Rice: I read a few of the Vampire Chronicles books when I was a teenager. I do remember enjoying them, but didn't get much further than #2 in the series (I think). I seem to remember her going on and on at times during her stories, but maybe I should give another one of her books a shot.
Kealan Patrick Burke: Reading the premise for Kin just pretty much told me to stay as far from his stories as possible. :lol:
Joyce Carol Oates: Would you say most of her stories are pretty disturbing? I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I am a wuss when it comes to "real-life" disturbing.

It's funny when you grow up reading King and people expect that you must love anything scary and disturbing, but I guess King's stories just always felt more about the characters than the horror. :orely:

Girlystevedave
01-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Ah! Thanks for reminding me of Hyperion. I enjoyed Dan Simmons' writing with Summer of Night and meant to check out Hyperion since you raved about it. [added to list!]

Did you just confuse Amanda with Ricky? I've been doing that too since she changed her av :rofl:

Hahaha! I changed my av so the confusion would cease. :lol:

Girlystevedave
01-21-2017, 08:41 AM
If you like 'small town' stories, like King does so well, definitely check out Charles Grant's 'Oxrun Station' stories.

I've been slowly making my way through each post and looking up authors' books on Goodreads to get a feel for the stories they write and, I have to say, Charles Grant's books really piqued my interest. I added The Pet and The Hour of the Oxrun Dead to my list.

Girlystevedave
01-21-2017, 08:43 AM
I think I've asked this on the boards before, but is Dean Koontz any good? If so, what are some of his best books?

Ricky
01-21-2017, 09:00 AM
I've read a few Koontz, but I'm not a super-fan. They all kind of seem the same to me, so it's good when I want to read one of his, I know what to expect. Out of the ones I've read (Phantoms, Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Darkfall), Phantoms is my favorite. Good mystery and a good page-turner. I think you might like Lightning, though.

Girlystevedave
01-21-2017, 09:36 AM
I've read a few Koontz, but I'm not a super-fan. They all kind of seem the same to me, so it's good when I want to read one of his, I know what to expect. Out of the ones I've read (Phantoms, Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Darkfall), Phantoms is my favorite. Good mystery and a good page-turner. I think you might like Lightning, though.

I looked them up and they do sound pretty intriguing. I added Phantoms and Lightning to my "remember this later when you want something to read" list. :)

RC65
01-21-2017, 10:19 AM
I really do like to test out all types of genres, whether it be sci-fi, suspense, adventure, romance, etc. If it's written well and sucks me in, I don't care what category it's in. :)

Then you explore Joe Lansdale's body of work...it's unconstrained by label or genre, but is uniformly excellent.

becca69
01-21-2017, 10:47 AM
I think I've asked this on the boards before, but is Dean Koontz any good? If so, what are some of his best books?

You could try his Odd Thomas series. I also think you should give Christopher Moore a try - Lamb is a popular one to start with or maybe The Stupidest Angel, Fool or A Dirty Job.

DoctorZaius
01-21-2017, 11:03 AM
I like early/mid Koontz: Strangers, Phantoms, Watchers, Lightning, Midnight, Twilight Eyes, and the Odd series.

mae
01-21-2017, 11:50 AM
I see Koontz being mentioned but no one brought up Robin Cook yet. Some good stuff from him, like Coma.

dnemec
01-21-2017, 01:41 PM
I see Koontz being mentioned but no one brought up Robin Cook yet. Some good stuff from him, like Coma.

Oooo...Cook is a good one. I read Shock in law school and it totally freaked me out. Although as a woman, it might have hit me harder than it would a man. (It's about 2 women that donate eggs to an infertility clinic...maybe.) Foreign Body was good too.

needfulthings
01-21-2017, 02:35 PM
I believe this is what is referred to as a double-header?
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4503/pfmI4Y.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/42/7BTsBG.jpg

zelig
01-21-2017, 02:52 PM
That cover brings back many memories for me. It was a big book back in the day and that UK paperback was everywhere.

jsweet
01-22-2017, 01:15 AM
Definitely a change up from King, but Max Allan Collins is probably my favorite author. If you like private detective books based around real events, check out his Nate Heller series. Over the years he's been involved with Frank Nitti, Huey Long, Marilyn Monroe, the Kennedys, etc. He does a really good job of weaving real-life figures into his fiction.

Cook
01-22-2017, 10:25 AM

I looked them up and they do sound pretty intriguing. I added Phantoms and Lightning to my "remember this later when you want something to read" list. :)

If you like Fantasy, try The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass (just the 1st three)
Also I recommend all three novels by Gillian Flynn. (Not fantasy)
Donna Tartt only has three as well.. great storyteller.
Speaking of authors of three(s) try all three of Khaled Hosseini.

mae
01-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Some classics also should be mentioned: Theodore Dreiser, Sinclair Lewis, Booth Tarkington, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Steinbeck, William Faulkner, Vladimir Nabokov.

WeDealInLead
01-22-2017, 11:20 AM
John R Little is one of my favorite authors and I don't see him mentioned often. He mostly writes short stories and novellas in the horror and dark fantasy genre.

If you're looking for short stories I recommend Little Things. Most of the stories in it are amazing, but Cruel Eyes and Placeholders were my favorites.

If you're looking for a novella I recommend The Memory Tree.

Little By Little was so damned good that I had to start a book review blog to write about it. I've shut it down a long ago because people kept asking me to review their self-published wet dream attempts at writing but that's a different story.

Any of his books are a good start, really. He was nice enough to inscribe and mail me most of his in-print books.

Another former Bad Moon Books writer I like a lot is Gene O'Neill. Like Little, he's not hyped and there's not much talk about him but his output is consistent in both quality and quantity.

Now that I think of it, most of the Bad Moon Books roster is solid.

Ben Mears
01-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Then you explore Joe Lansdale's body of work...it's unconstrained by label or genre, but is uniformly excellent.

+1. Lansdale is versatile and entertaining.
Dan Simmons is very good and makes you work for it.
Carl Hiaasen and Tim Dorsey are purveyors of humorous thrillers.
For my money John Sandford (Lucas Davenport "Prey" series and Virgil Flowers novels) is the most consistent and enjoyable author I read.

Lurker
01-22-2017, 06:21 PM
And no one mentioned George RR Martin? Hmm. I'll throw in Neal Stephenson and Ken Liu. I like his Dandelion Dynasty series so far.

jsmcmullen92
01-23-2017, 05:45 AM
And no one mentioned George RR Martin? Hmm. I'll throw in Neal Stephenson and Ken Liu. I like his Dandelion Dynasty series so far.

Is Stephenson actually any good? I was at the store the other day and his books were every where. They even had lettered editions of his books there but i've never heard anything on him.

webstar1000
01-23-2017, 05:49 AM
I grew up loving Frank W Dixon... wonder if anyone here knows right off who that even is. haha Anyways, now a days, I read so many different authors. Dan Simonds is for sure one of my new favs. Thanks to the guys n gals here I have really opened up my eyes to so many other good authors!

Ben Mears
01-23-2017, 08:41 AM
I grew up loving Frank W Dixon... wonder if anyone here knows right off who that even is.

I have about 40 Franklin W. Dixon Hardy Boys books and loved reading them as a kid. Most of the stories I read in the late 60s/early 70s were revised versions done by Harriet Adams working off of originals written by Leslie McFarlane.

Jean
01-25-2017, 07:38 AM
Amanda, how about Shirley Jackson? In these two years I've read her two big novels - twice each - and her two collections - twice each. She is incredible. I can't imagine a finer writing; subtle, witty, refined and disturbing on some level few writers can reach.

Theli
01-25-2017, 07:43 AM
Amanda, how about Shirley Jackson? In these two years I've read her two big novels - twice each - and her two collections - twice each. She is incredible. I can't imagine a finer writing; subtle, witty, refined and disturbing on some level few writers can reach.

I'll second that! Loved The Haunting of Hill House and the shorts I'd ready by her.

Tommy
01-25-2017, 07:51 AM
The Haunting of Hill House is a legitimately disturbing book. I had heard much praise for it but I had seen the movie (original and remake). I like the movie (original) but was not blown away by it. It's good but not great in my opinion. I gave the book a try and it deserves it's reputation. A deeply unsettling and upsetting masterpiece. I'm always reminding myself to read more of her.

Girlystevedave
01-25-2017, 08:18 AM

I've had her on my "authors to check out" list for a while, but haven't gotten around to her yet. :)

Theli
01-25-2017, 08:21 AM
The Haunting of Hill House is a legitimately disturbing book. I had heard much praise for it but I had seen the movie (original and remake). I like the movie (original) but was not blown away by it. It's good but not great in my opinion. I gave the book a try and it deserves it's reputation. A deeply unsettling and upsetting masterpiece. I'm always reminding myself to read more of her.

I loved the The Haunting from 1963. One of my favourite book to film adaptations. I haven't seen the 1999 since it came out, at the time I don't remember enjoying it, but I was pretty young then.

Also worth a read, and viewing, is Richard Matheson's Hell House. Kind of a re-imagining of Jackson's story. Both film and book are great.

Girlystevedave
01-25-2017, 08:28 AM

You could try his Odd Thomas series. I also think you should give Christopher Moore a try - Lamb is a popular one to start with or maybe The Stupidest Angel, Fool or A Dirty Job.

I just looked those up. They sound like pretty fun books, especially A Dirty Job.

Ben Mears
01-25-2017, 02:32 PM

I just looked those up. They sound like pretty fun books, especially A Dirty Job.

Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck and Bite Me are an amusing vampire series set in San Francisco and Sacre Bleu is a mystery surrounding the death of Vincent van Gogh. All witty and entertaining.

Lurker
01-25-2017, 10:54 PM
Is Stephenson actually any good? I was at the store the other day and his books were every where. They even had lettered editions of his books there but i've never heard anything on him.

I like him - he's kind of like Simmons in that his books are all different and some you like and some you don't. I would recommend early stuff like Snow Crash or Zodiac. He gets more dense and really detailed with Cryptonomicon. I really enjoyed the Baroque Cycle - it's a lot of history of science. His other work is I guess science fiction, but I really was kinda on the fence about his last one Seveneves.

Merlin1958
01-26-2017, 03:14 PM
William Peter Blatty

DoctorZaius
01-26-2017, 07:07 PM
For those looking for quirky fun I suggest:
Mark Leyner - My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist and Et tu Babe
Nicholson Baker - Vox and The Fermata (both are a bit of erotica)

dnemec
01-27-2017, 08:29 AM
I also wanted to mention Jeff Strand. He's usually billed as horror/humor, although he writes YA too. He's a friend of a friend, which is how I found him. The first book I read of his was Pressure and I couldn't put it down. He is also part of the the new Cemetery Dance Select series. As I was able to review those books already, I can definitely recommend that one. There is a story in there called “Mr. Sensitive” that will make you laugh, want to throw up, and cause you immense vicarious pain all at the same time. :lol:

mae
01-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Jeff Vandermeer is a really cool author.

becca69
01-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Also, I currently started Senlin Ascends and it's wonderful so far!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17554595-senlin-ascends

asted2113
04-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Michael Crichton is up there with Stephen King for me. He makes difficult subjects easy to understand.

Mary Kubica is an awesome author, definitely worth a read.

Also The Kellermans. Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman and Jesse Kellerman.

TravelinJack
04-18-2017, 07:16 PM
I'm a Robert McCammon fan. I have been pleased with all I've read of his. I feel that he is underrated.

Girlystevedave
05-08-2017, 10:34 AM
To everyone in here who mentioned Robert McCammon's name: Thank you! I am a little over halfway through Boy's Life and loving every single bit of it. I don't want this book to end. :)

TravelinJack
05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
To everyone in here who mentioned Robert McCammon's name: Thank you! I am a little over halfway through Boy's Life and loving every single bit of it. I don't want this book to end. :)

Awesome that you're still enjoying Boy's Life!

Girlystevedave
05-19-2017, 05:32 AM
I don't know if he's been mentioned in here already, and I'm too lazy to search the entire thread ( :lol: ), but...

Does anyone recommend Arthur C. Clarke? I picked up Childhood's End at the bookstore yesterday out of intrigue, but put it back because I didn't know if I wanted to give it the time. I know 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those classic sci-fi pieces that people recommend, but does anyone know if it's really good or just an overrated piece of fiction?

mae
05-19-2017, 05:33 AM
If anyone's up for historical fiction, Gore Vidal.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-19-2017, 11:14 AM
The Clarke books I liked the best are 2001, 2061 ODYSSEY THREE, THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE, 3001 THE FINAL ODYSSEY, and RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA. I've read CHILDHOOD'S END and his early novels and recall that I liked them, but it's been so long that's about all I can remember. For some reason I disliked 2010 ODYSSEY TWO though.

frik
05-19-2017, 12:38 PM
I don't know if he's been mentioned in here already, and I'm too lazy to search the entire thread ( :lol: ), but...

Does anyone recommend Arthur C. Clarke? I picked up Childhood's End at the bookstore yesterday out of intrigue, but put it back because I didn't know if I wanted to give it the time. I know 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those classic sci-fi pieces that people recommend, but does anyone know if it's really good or just an overrated piece of fiction?

Clarke was an amazing author. He has always been my #1 (science fiction) and never failed to inspire awe.
Childhood's End is one of my favorites, along with the Odyssey books and the Rama series.
2001: A Space Odyssey absolutely is worth you time.

sk

Girlystevedave
05-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Cool. Thanks for the tips, guys.

WeDealInLead
05-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Cool. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Here's an another: track down the short story The Sentinel by ACC. It's a prequel to 2001. He has a ton of collections and The Sentinel gets reprinted a few times. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Rendezvous with Rama is another great novel.

Girlystevedave
05-20-2017, 08:48 AM
If I read The Sentinel first will it do anything to spoil or take away from 2001 if I decide to read it later?

frik
05-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Well....The Sentinel was used as a starting point for 2001: A Space Odyssey (didn't see the movie yet???) but it was not a straight adaptation.

Clarke:"I am continually annoyed by careless references to 'The Sentinel' as 'the story on which 2001 is based'; it bears about as much relation to the movie as an acorn to the resultant full-grown oak.

So no, I don't think reading the short story first will spoil reading the novel. But what do you mean......if I decide to read it later? It's a fantastic novel, and a great, great movie.
Read the novel. see the movie!

sk

Girlystevedave
05-20-2017, 09:08 AM
So no, I don't think reading the short story first will spoil reading the novel. But what do you mean......if I decide to read it later? It's a fantastic novel, and a great, great movie.
Read the novel. see the movie!

sk

:lol:
Noted.

Ricky
05-20-2017, 11:11 AM
I read Childhood's End a year or two ago because they were doing a mini-series adaptation. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it seemed very dense to me. For such a short book I had a lot of times where I could only take 20 pages at a time before I had to set it aside until the next time. Lots of good and interesting ideas about people, creation, and our place in the world, but the character work wasn't the best.

If you're into more dense sci-fi, I'd say give it a shot. I'd be curious to see how you like it.

biomieg
05-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Many of my favorites were mentioned already. Also worth checking out IMO: Cody McFadyen (he wrote a couple of great serial killer novels and then simply disappeared), Daniel Hecht (for some great 'neuropsychological noir' novels). Hugh Howey (Wool trilogy). Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy).

A few other great books I read not too long ago (based on recommendations here):

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)
- Wayward Pines (Blake Crouch)
- Dark Matter (Blake Crouch)

dnemec
05-20-2017, 02:48 PM

A few other great books I read not too long ago (based on recommendations here):

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)

I've been wanting to read more Blake Crouch. I loved the Wayward Pines trilogy. So Dark Matter was good then?

needfulthings
05-20-2017, 04:45 PM
If I read The Sentinel first will it do anything to spoil or take away from 2001 if I decide to read it later?
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3056/E7sd5v.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img924/1649/OlLCIp.jpg

RC65
05-21-2017, 08:03 AM

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)

Another vote for all three of these. REPLAY, in particular, is an all-time favorite of mine.

zelig
05-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Yep, there has been some discussion before about Replay. It's a stand out and one of my favorite books.

If there are any Follett fans out there, the third book in the Kingsbridge series is coming out in September. Proof copies are showing up on eBay.

Heather19
05-25-2017, 07:58 AM

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)

I've been wanting to read more Blake Crouch. I loved the Wayward Pines trilogy. So Dark Matter was good then?

I am a huge Blake Crouch fan. I picked up Pines a few years ago and then proceeded to read almost everything by him. I highly recommend Run, Dark Matter, and his collection of short stories. Abandon and Snowbound were good as well, but I'd say start with the others first.

RC65
05-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Heather has it right...I also got on the Crouch bandwagon a year or two ago, and read most of his stuff in a burst...he has a very compelling way of telling a story. My favorites were, as Heather echoes, the PINES trilogy, DARK MATTER, and RUN (and in that order).

dnemec
05-27-2017, 02:02 PM

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)

I am a huge Blake Crouch fan. I picked up Pines a few years ago and then proceeded to read almost everything by him. I highly recommend Run, Dark Matter, and his collection of short stories. Abandon and Snowbound were good as well, but I'd say start with the others first.

Well, Heather, you are the reason I read the Pines triliogy, so I should probably listen to you. :D Thanks!

Heather19
05-28-2017, 07:27 AM
:thumbsup: I really do hope you enjoy his other books. Please let us know what you think once you read them. I love his fast paced way of storytelling.

kingfan2323
07-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Any Harris experts have an opinion on this sig? Thxhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190704/e80fdffc5cf6f41a33f52146bd91c167.jpg

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L

jsmcmullen92
07-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Any Harris experts have an opinion on this sig? Thxhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190704/e80fdffc5cf6f41a33f52146bd91c167.jpg

Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/LAs stated in the other thread. I don't like it. looking at my Cari Mora it's no bueno. I wouldn't buy it if I were you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kingfan2323
07-03-2019, 08:44 PM

Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/LAs stated in the other thread. I don't like it. looking at my Cari Mora it's no bueno. I wouldn't buy it if I were you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkI agree. Thanks a lot for input.

Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L

WeDealInLead
09-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Cixin Liu is a fairly recent favourite.

Edited for a few more additions:

Gene Wolfe, Harlan Ellison, Tim Powers, Ray Bradbury.

Two Canadian science fiction writers worth checking out are Peter Watts and Brent Hayward.

kingfan2323
09-17-2019, 11:48 AM
I struck out on here seeking our official Easton Press expert. Do we have a Thomas Harris expert in residency? Need help from both.

Thx

Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

Lurker
09-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Easton Press did Silence of the Lambs a couple of years ago. I think I have it somewhere if there is something you want to know.

kingfan2323
09-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Easton Press did Silence of the Lambs a couple of years ago. I think I have it somewhere if there is something you want to know.Thanks Lurk. Was just looking for a person to ask general Easton Press questions and a person to ask general Harris Questions to.

Lurker
09-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Oh. Well, I have a lot of Easton Press. Been collecting them since the 80's. Probably know quite a bit about the Masterpieces of Science Fiction and Signed Science Fiction series, but I would not say I'm an expert.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Do you by any chance have a complete list of Ben Bova and Mike Resnick Easton Press books? I was never sure I had or was looking for the ones I am missing.

Lurker
09-17-2019, 02:41 PM
I have a spreadsheet of all that somewhere - I will look!

fernandito
09-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Two Canadian science fiction writers worth checking out are Peter Watts and Brent Hayward.

Can you recommend a great series by either author?

kingfan2323
09-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Oh. Well, I have a lot of Easton Press. Been collecting them since the 80's. Probably know quite a bit about the Masterpieces of Science Fiction and Signed Science Fiction series, but I would not say I'm an expert.Well you are my go to Easton Press person now. Like it or not. Ha! I know they are definitely part of collecting but how important do you view the blank book name plates? Collecting the Hemingway set (the multicolored version) and wondering how much they effect value in your opinion?

Lurker
09-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Do you by any chance have a complete list of Ben Bova and Mike Resnick Easton Press books? I was never sure I had or was looking for the ones I am missing.

This what I have in my list.

Mike Resink

Second Contact 1990 Signed
Purgatory 1993 Signed
The Outpost 2001 Signed
Return of Santiago 2003 Signed FESF

Starship Mutiny 2005 signed numbered
Starship Pirate 2006 signed numbered
Starship Mercenary 2007 signed numbered
Starship Rebel 2008 signed numbered
Starship Flagship 2009 signed numbered

Ben Bova

Kingsman Saga 1989
Voyagers III 1990 signed FESF
Trikon Deception 1992 signed
Brothers 1996 signed numbered
Moonrise 1996 signed numbered
Moonwar 1998 signed numbered
Return to Mars 1999 signed numbered
Venus 2000 signed numbered
Jupiter 2001 signed numbered
Saturn 2003 signed numbered
Mercury 2005 signed numbered
Immortality Factor 2009 signed numbered

Lurker
09-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Oh. Well, I have a lot of Easton Press. Been collecting them since the 80's. Probably know quite a bit about the Masterpieces of Science Fiction and Signed Science Fiction series, but I would not say I'm an expert.Well you are my go to Easton Press person now. Like it or not. Ha! I know they are definitely part of collecting but how important do you view the blank book name plates? Collecting the Hemingway set (the multicolored version) and wondering how much they effect value in your opinion?

I place no value on them. Honestly, I throw them away. No one should be tempted to deface a book. :nope:

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-17-2019, 03:55 PM

This what I have in my list.

Mike Resink

Second Contact 1990 Signed
Purgatory 1993 Signed
The Outpost 2001 Signed
Return of Santiago 2003 Signed FESF

Starship Mutiny 2005 signed numbered
Starship Pirate 2006 signed numbered
Starship Mercenary 2007 signed numbered
Starship Rebel 2008 signed numbered
Starship Flagship 2009 signed numbered

Ben Bova

Kingsman Saga 1989
Voyagers III 1990 signed FESF
Trikon Deception 1992 signed
Brothers 1996 signed numbered
Moonrise 1996 signed numbered
Moonwar 1998 signed numbered
Return to Mars 1999 signed numbered
Venus 2000 signed numbered
Jupiter 2001 signed numbered
Saturn 2003 signed numbered
Mercury 2005 signed numbered
Immortality Factor 2009 signed numbered

I knew about all the Resnick's. The ones I still don't have are STARSHIP MERCENARY and REBEL.

On Bova, it seems I need MOONWAR and MERCURY.

That's nowhere near as many as I thought I was missing! Thanks!

WeDealInLead
09-17-2019, 04:12 PM

Can you recommend a great series by either author?

Hayward doesnt have any series. Actually, he has only three novels and a short story collection. I like to think of him as a cold hearted China Mieville. Filaria, A Head Full of Mountains, Fecund's Melancholy Daughter, Broken Stars Broken Moon. Try a few stories from Broken Stars to get used to his style or dive right into Filaria. If you thought Wool was too vanilla, you'll like it.

I've read only three books by Watts: Blindsight and its sequel Echopraxia and the novella he published last year that's independent of all of his books. I'll have to look the name up. Blindsight was incredible. It's like if vastness of Hyperion, ideas of Arthur C. Clarke and Larry Niven's more Military sf had a really gnarly threesome. Echopraxia was too damned science/hard SF and even Watts said it was a "self-pwn."

Edit: the novella is The Freeze-Frame Revolution and it's a lot of fun.

kingfan2323
09-17-2019, 06:58 PM

I place no value on them. Honestly, I throw them away. No one should be tempted to deface a book. :nope:That is actually great news. I think they are useless too. Just figured collectors would view them as "incomplete". Thx

kingfan2323
09-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Can anyone help me with First Edition Identification Points for the UK Red Dragon? Maybe even book size measurements?

Much appreciated!

Picklemaniac
11-27-2019, 04:21 AM
either chuck palahniuk or cormac mccarthy

ladysai
02-02-2020, 07:05 AM
Here's an interesting read for Asimov or sci-fi fans:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/01/isaac-asimovs-throwback-literary-legacy/605815/

(apologies if this is in the wrong thread...)

St. Troy
02-24-2020, 10:33 AM
I'd like to try some Ramsey Campbell; any suggestions on a good place to start? I'm thinking novel over short stories, unless the difference is truly compelling.