PDA

View Full Version : The Arrowhead Project ***The Mist Spoilers***

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Just curious as to what you guys believe was the true nature of this government project. I've heard people say the government bred the creatures, but most people such as I believe it caused a dimensional rift.

What say you? Is it possible the old lady was correct in the nature of their experiments?

Aesculapius
02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I believe what happened with the Arrowhead Project was the destruction of a valve, mentioned in more detail in another King book.

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm guessing that it was secret government program involved with finding if other dimensions existed. I'd say some kind of rift or fluxuation was discovered up on the mountain and they decided to research it. After years of research and experiments, they finally ripped open whatever it was they found. I think The Mist was a veil, the visual sign of two dimensions coming together. I don't think that the monsters (as we know, some are huge...how big the rift would have been for them to fit out) all came out of the rift but as the mist spread it just revealed more of the other world.

In the movie we see the mist fading. What was the cause of this? I think the government managed to repair the rift and the mist all just kind of faded. Unless, of course, David Drayton was simply driving just in front of the clearing mist and it hadn't caught up with him until he stopped. The monsters also seemed to die when the mist disappeared. Perhaps that mist was similar to our oxygen?

Jean
02-07-2008, 01:11 AM
To be on the safe side, I made it a spoiler thread

Woofer
02-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Just curious as to what you guys believe was the true nature of this government project. I've heard people say the government bred the creatures, but most people such as I believe it caused a dimensional rift.

I believe it was either that or

I believe what happened with the Arrowhead Project was the destruction of a valve, mentioned in more detail in another King book.

this.

Grillslinger
02-07-2008, 05:59 AM
In one of of the DT comics....King describes an incident where men try to destroy the tower. There is a great earthquake. The ground opens up, and out comes a thick mist.

I think they made a portal...and the portal didn't go to other worlds...just inbetween.

Storyslinger
02-07-2008, 06:03 AM
I agree with your idea JohnBlaze.

Wuducynn
02-07-2008, 06:57 AM
a dimensional rift.

This.

Míchéal
02-07-2008, 09:42 AM
a dimensional rift.

This.

i feel the same

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
In one of of the DT comics....King describes an incident where men try to destroy the tower. There is a great earthquake. The ground opens up, and out comes a thick mist.

Well, The Dark Tower is in Maine, of course.

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Can you give us the reference point?

I forgot to mention I haven't seen the movie yet. Does anyone know if it's out on DVD yet?

Míchéal
02-07-2008, 11:09 AM
its not even in cinemas over here yet...scandal!!!!!!!

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Move to the US. :D

Aesculapius
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM

From a Buick 8.

And, Song of Susannah.

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
where in SOS?

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 03:50 PM

I forgot to mention I haven't seen the movie yet. Does anyone know if it's out on DVD yet?

March 25th.

Aesculapius
02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
where in SOS?

Song of Susannah SPOILER:

Stephen King is a valve, which is why saving him was a good thing. It flows.

Walk over to a valve that controls the flow of water and take a sledgehammer to it and see what happens. :D

My general point is that the folks at Arrowhead must have come across one of these "valves" and somehow destroyed it. This could explain the flashes of light seen coming from where the Arrowhead Project was located.

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
ok, i can read that, but i don't see what that has to do with The Mist?

Woofer
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Have you ever read From a Buick 8?

The "Buick" was a believed to be a valve to another dimension. Occassionally, there were light shows in the garage where the troopers had parked it. Even more occassionally things came over from the other side (or disappeared from our side) via the trunk. A glimpse in the trunk by one of the characters (I forget which, say sorry) reveals a world that looks like it might be ripe for creatures similar to those in The Mist. They speculate that destroying the car would would blow open the door between the two worlds.

I tend to err on the side of caution regarding spoilers, and that just seemed too spoilerish, say sorry.

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I actually have From a Buick 8, but have never finished it. Maybe I should read it before I go on.

Aesculapius
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I tend to err on the side of caution regarding spoilers, and that just seemed too spoilerish, say sorry.

Exactly. It's hard to get across this particular idea without bringing up instances in other books to use as good examples. I can think of another one in 'Desperation'.

Also, I agree with what you said about 'From A Buick 8'.

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM
where in SOS?

Song of Susannah SPOILER:

Stephen King is a valve, which is why saving him was a good thing. It flows.

Walk over to a valve that controls the flow of water and take a sledgehammer to it and see what happens. :D

My general point is that the folks at Arrowhead must have come across one of these "valves" and somehow destroyed it. This could explain the flashes of light seen coming from where the Arrowhead Project was located.

Maybe the State Troopers turned it over to the Feds and it ended up at The Arrowhead Project facility, where some stupid scientists blew it up?

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Exactly. It's hard to get across this particular idea without bringing up instances in other books to use as good examples. I can think of another one in 'Desperation'.

The funny thing is I've read most of these books, with an exception of From a Buick 8, and I don't remember these references. What was the one from Dreamcatcher?

Some memory you got.

Aesculapius
02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
'Dreamcatcher' is one of the few books by King that I have not finished, so, I couldn't say for sure what the "valve" is in that particular book.

Mattrick
02-09-2008, 02:03 PM
when was dreamcatcher mentioned?

John Blaze
02-09-2008, 06:40 PM

here

John Blaze
02-17-2008, 10:46 AM
'Suppose,' says the man twirling his Stetson between his hands, 'that the 8 is a kind of valve. Like the one in a scuba diver's regulator. Sometimes it breathes in and sometimes it breathes out, giving or receiving according to the will of the user. But what it does is always limited by the valve.'
'Yes, but ― '
'Or think of it. another way. Suppose it breathes like a man lying on the bottom of a swamp and using a hollow reed to sip air with so he won't be seen.'

i see what you mean now about the arrowhead project.

I don't recall anything in SOS, though.

Woofer
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Some consider Stephen King to be a valve because of his role in controlling or regulating the flow of Gan's song in the keystone world. In this case, killing King would pinch the valve at the stem and end Gan's song and, consequently, Roland's (and the Tower's story) in the keystone world. The ultimate effect of this, of course, would be devastating to all worlds.

Jack Lee
03-27-2008, 02:59 PM
DARK TOWER VII SPOILERS

I see something here.

In 1977, in the Key world, Eddie and Roland are in Maine, and they're witnessing a great electrical storm. Out of the storm comes the "walk in's" and this is the breach that the two heroes run into. Supposedly this is caused by a beamquake. This beamquake leaves ripples throughout every reality in the multiverse.
Now imagine that it's just about the same time in the Mist-reality, July 19th actually. In this reality not only is there a beamquake being felt, but there is also a series of tests and expirements going on that are acting like an enormous etheral drill, blasting a hole into a wall that is already missing a few studs.
Basically what I'm saying is that a beamquake shares some of the responsibility for releasing todash monsters in The Mist.

Childe 007
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM

I think they made a portal...and the portal didn't go to other worlds...just inbetween.

I wasn't reading the comic "backstories" all that closely until this last cycle - and now i've gone back and began reading them all - but when I read the quoted refernce above - The Mist came immediately to mind. I think that things like project arrowhead are what created Thinny's. Technology mucking with magic to create anomolies...

Aesculapius
03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
YouTube - The Dark Tower (from the mist)

suppose we're all gifted, suppose that the mist is a metaphor for change, suppose the veil will be lifted

John Blaze
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
hey, I wonder if there's a way to find that painting.

thanks Aescaulipus!

Brice
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
According to the artist (via an email conversation I had wondering the same thing) there are not any prints or reproductions at all.

John Blaze
04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
you know the artist? :O

tell me everything

Brice
04-02-2008, 03:06 AM
No, I just emailed him to inquire about it myself.

John Blaze
04-02-2008, 03:20 AM
you emailed who?

Brice
04-02-2008, 03:23 AM
Drew Struzan

alinda
04-02-2008, 03:28 AM
I have read the story, and last night I rented
the dvd and I am just about to go watch it!
Then I maybe able to add to this discussion.:thumbsup:

John Blaze
04-04-2008, 11:41 PM
took me a while to find it, but I did.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/BrunoBaca/mist.jpg

Wuducynn
04-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...one thing though...all that white light hurts my eyes.

John Blaze
04-05-2008, 12:01 AM
i posted in the other The Mist thread what I find wrong with it, but you're right, it's pretty sweet.

alinda
04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Ok, so I dont have much to offer as it wasnt expounded on.
So they (AP) opened todash space while doing whatever it
is they were doing ( splitting atoms...whatever) and the
creatures came out from between the worlds. Creatures like
the lot in Dreamcatcher, Buick, etc... all cousins I understand
from outside Cleavland originally. :cyclops:

Aesculapius
04-06-2008, 02:31 PM
tentacles!

John Blaze
04-06-2008, 04:29 PM
i liked the From a Buick 8 descriptions on the outerwordly creatures, they helped visualize more than the DT series did. But I don't think they were from Todash space, just a different world/universe.

Aesculapius
04-07-2008, 06:52 PM
It's just too bad the lot of us do not gnow how to use the Mist to our favor. Much better you than I, mayhap.

:pullhair:

YouTube - Tool - Vicarious

Aesculapius
04-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Sorry...I'll attempt to explain myself further as to not be so cryptic (which is my nature).

At some point we are going to reach critical mass...it's inevitable. We do not strive to make smaller cellphones, smaller laptops, faster processors, blue ray lasers to replace red lasers (black is what we desire; "we produce black pearls"-King), etc. for NO reason. At some point we could find the answer to how something can be taken from "nothing". I'm sure the "knowledge" exists now, but, we as a collective may never possess It because "wisdom" is hard to find. We would bastardize it quick. It's also difficult to profit from quantum mechanics.

In the movie (I don't remember if this part was in the short story), there is a woman who refuses to remain there in the store while her child is at home with a younger sibling because as she explains, the child is only eight or nine and that the child sometimes forgets to check in on the sibling. They try to talk her out of leaving the store, but, she has no fear of the Mist. If you've seen the end, you know where this is going.

I believe that if the Mist is a metaphor for change, then we must not fear it as we have done for years and years and years. (see another King quote below) I desire change that doesn't remain the same. And, a good way for that to happen is to merge red with blue and become aware of the depth that exists...right in front of us.

Also, I found it quite interesting how difficult it was for some to convince others that there were things in the Mist. Anyways, back to the lab. :lol:

ladysai
04-09-2008, 06:19 AM
In the movie (I don't remember if this part was in the short story), there is a woman who refuses to remain there in the store while her child is at home with a younger sibling because as she explains, the child is only eight or nine and that the child sometimes forgets to check in on the sibling. They try to talk her out of leaving the store, but, she has no fear of the Mist. If you've seen the end, you know where this is going.

I had the chance to watch The Mist this weekend, and it was pretty good, especially the ending.
That was a King-kicks-you-in-the-ass classic ending.

I wish there had been more about the Arrowhead Project in the movie...I dont remember the novella well, so I dont know if the movie differed a lot.

Storyslinger
04-09-2008, 06:20 AM
No, the movie was almost dead on with the novella. All but the ending, which was never really written.

ladysai
04-09-2008, 06:32 AM
No, the movie was almost dead on with the novella. All but the ending, which was never really written.

So, there wasnt any more info on the Project in the novella, eh?
Well, we can always speculate. ;)
Thanks for the info, Storyslinger.

Storyslinger
04-09-2008, 06:35 AM

So, there wasnt any more info on the Project in the novella, eh?
Well, we can always speculate. ;)
Thanks for the info, Storyslinger.

To bad, huh? Speculation is always fun though. Maybe, it will show up as a short story.

Aesculapius
04-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I think this is why we have 'From A Buick 8'.

ladysai
04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Do you think From A Buick 8 explains about the Arrowhead Project?

John Blaze
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
actually, i think that buick 8 is an alternate world than the mist. Maybe, in an alternate world, the Troop turned the car over the the authorities, they locked it up in some area 51 type place called The Arrowhead Project, and did experiments on it until they accidentally blew it up and caused the Mist.

Storyslinger
04-10-2008, 05:28 AM
actually, i think that buick 8 is an alternate world than the mist. Maybe, in an alternate world, the Troop turned the car over the the authorities, they locked it up in some area 51 type place called The Arrowhead Project, and did experiments on it until they accidentally blew it up and caused the Mist.

:beat:...............That makes a lot of sense. That seems almost entirely possible. I really like this theory, if more comment on this, this would almost be thread worthy.

Aesculapius
04-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Exactly how I feel.
Thank you.

John Blaze
04-10-2008, 09:48 AM
well I had suggested that before, WHERE WERE YOU THEN?!?!?! :P

:lol:

Storyslinger
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
well I had suggested that before, WHERE WERE YOU THEN?!?!?! :P

:lol:

Over there....*points of in a random direction* :lol:

tl1233
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
right first off everyones theories have been on point one more convincing than the next but did king not say somewhere the mist was a thinny:p
also the monsters from the mist put me in mind of the monsters in the wasteland
now the desperation reference made me think cause is tak not in a parallel dimension so is the whole in the china pit a thinny?
seen the film and absolutley loved it from the moment i seen the painitng of roland lookin very clint eastwood
and the woman thats tryin to cause a riot about to be killed by the mosquito thing and she says "my life for you" :p is the mist maybe something to do with flagg as in flagg threw a spanner in the governments project and caused the rift also could it have something to do with a beam breaking cause wasnt there only 2 left when the ka tet got to agul siento (soz cant spell that to save myself)
just like to say great to see this site up and running again since every king book i read i notice some connection or refrence to another book and its always intrestin to see who notices
tony

John Blaze
04-11-2008, 06:03 AM
this site hasn't been down dude...

i have heard that SK said the mist is "like a thinny" but from the descriptions for WAG and from The Mist, they're nothing alike.

Matt
04-11-2008, 02:21 PM
just like to say great to see this site up and running again since every king book i read i notice some connection or refrence to another book and its always intrestin to see who notices
tonyHey Tony--you might be confusing us with thedarktower.net--which was and still is very much down.

razz
04-23-2008, 05:37 AM
So here's what happened. The govt. finds a strange phenomenon. they send scientists to study in. something happens killing those scientists. but the govt. wants to know more about this phen. so they send more scientists, and make a military base there. at one point or another, someone fucks up, causing a rift to open. the govt begins exiramenting with this rift, and extracts some creatures which they probably want to harness for military use. some more tampering, and someone fucks up again, this time causuing a fatal mistake.

razz
04-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Btw, do you think that dimension would more likely be the keystone tower world or one such as it, or the world from which "the buick" origionated?

razz
04-23-2008, 05:40 AM
also the monsters from the mist put me in mind of the monsters in the wasteland
maybe the lobstrocities too?

cozener
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't think the Arrowhead project matters that much...which is to say that we don't really need nor were we ever intended to know more about it than the one or two sentences that are dedicated to it. (which I think are quite clear in that it is a dimensional rift) Its just the plot device that puts the mist and these creatures here to generate the thrills.

That said, a whole series of stories could be launched from the Arrowhead Project...kinda like a horror oriented Stargate.

BTW...great movie and any flick that so effectively uses a Dead Can Dance piece in its soundtrack is getting bonus points from me.

razz
05-09-2008, 05:23 AM
That said, a whole series of stories could be launched from the Arrowhead Project...kinda like a horror (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/nuwiki.php?do=book.view&bookid=15) oriented Stargate

:rofl::rofl:Good Idea, Lord!:rofl::rofl:

nordh
05-09-2008, 05:57 AM
In The Tommyknockers, the Arrowhead installation in Maine is referred to as a powerplant. Here's a small extract from a much bigger discussion.

[p. 99, Signet pocket book] Ted the Power Man said he doubted there was much to worry about. Seabrook had had its vogue, and the Arrowhead installation in Maine - but since the federal judges had started to deal out some stiff sentences for what they saw as merely hell-raising, the protests had slowed down fast.

razz
05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
well, what do YOU think?

sfischer
10-26-2008, 10:12 PM
As far as the creatures go...i thought the ones in Dreamcatcher were just aliens? i dunno its been a while since i have read it or seen it. Loved the mist BTW...HATED the ending...i was so pissed when i left the movie theater. havent seen the DVD version yet...it just screams alternate ending. is there?

Reverend Brimmstone
10-30-2008, 11:06 PM
You Know,I'm just waiting for the big reveal that LOST takes place in one of those "other worlds than these."

Maybe Si,Maybe No.

Brice
10-31-2008, 04:02 AM
As far as the creatures go...i thought the ones in Dreamcatcher were just aliens? i dunno its been a while since i have read it or seen it. Loved the mist BTW...HATED the ending...i was so pissed when i left the movie theater. havent seen the DVD version yet...it just screams alternate ending. is there?

No, it has none. There is a fan made alternate ending somewhere though.

flaggwalkstheline
10-31-2008, 07:01 AM
i think the arrowhead project was done by north central positronics or one of those companies in tandem with the government, they just opened up a door into todash darkness and it backfired horribly