PDA

View Full Version : Best War Movies of All Time!

DoctorZaius
11-19-2016, 10:43 AM
I was reading through reactions to the most recent war movie, Hacksaw Ridge, and it got me wondering about the best War Movies of All Time! Never started a thread before, so I'm not even sure I am doing this right, or if there will be any interest. Maybe it will eventually be turned into a poll? To start things off, here are five of my favorites in no particular order:

The Great Escape (OK, so maybe this is my favorite) - the all star cast is amazing!
Full Metal Jacket - one of Kubrik's best; Vincent D'Onofrio is amazing, as is R. Lee Ermey
Battle of the Bulge - the first time I noticed Robert Shaw
Das Boot - saw this in the movie theater; so claustrophobic
Platoon - perhaps the only good movie that Charlie Sheen every made

Tommy
11-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Love me some war flicks, will continue to add to this post when I think of more favorites

Paths of Glory
Apocalypse Now
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia
All Quiet on the Western Front (both versions)
Grand Illusion
Dr. Strangelove
Blackhawk Down
The Longest Day
Das Boot
The Deer Hunter
The Great Escape
American Sniper
The Hurt Locker
The Dirty Dozen
The Pianist
Downfall
Jarhead
MASH
Stalag 17
Cross of Iron
From Here to Eternity
Gone with the Wind
Platoon
Dr. Zhivago
The Great Dictator
Duck Soup
The Battle of Algiers
The Best Years of Our Lives
Johnny Got His Gun
Mister Roberts
Ran
Casablanca
Inglourious Basterds
The Grey Zone
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Three Kings
They Were Expendable
Back to Bataan
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Stop Loss
The Flags of Our Fathers
The Imitation Game
30 Seconds Over Tokyo
Battleground
Story of G.I. Joe
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
49th Parallel
Gallipoli

Merlin1958
11-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Saving Private Ryan!!!!!

needfulthings
11-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Mister Roberts
The Bridge (Die Brucke) 1959
Johnny Got His Gun.
Paths Of Glory
Fail-Safe
Dr. Strangelove
The Best Years of Our Lives
For Whom the Bells Tolls

Stockerlone
11-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Braveheart
Ran
Bronenosets Potemkin / Броненосец Потёмкин
Stalingrad
Hamburger Hill

Still Servant
11-19-2016, 07:29 PM
It's funny you should create this thread, I actually just put together a list of my favorite war films last night.

If you guys aren't familiar with Letterboxd, you should check it out. It's a great site for keeping track of the movies you watch, as well as making lists.

Also, you should know that I'm really picky about my movie genres. I like to break them down to sub genres. For example, Three Kings isn't a war movie to me. It's a heist film. The same goes for The Great Escape and Bridge Over the River Kwai, I consider them prison films. Weird, I know. Just how I roll, so don't be shocked when you don't see them on my list.

The order is not official. I quickly threw this together.

My Favorite War Movies.
(http://letterboxd.com/moviemike80/list/my-favorite-war-films/)

Lurker
11-19-2016, 11:24 PM
Not weird. I always thought Gone With The Wind was a love story. And Dr. Zhivago.

Tommy
11-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Depends on what you mean when you say War Film. I believe any film that demonstrates the impact of war on society or deals with moral issues that people face because of war, even if there are no battles, can be considered a war film. I know most people will disagree with some on my list but I can only see things how I see them. And of course Dr. Zhivago and Gone with the Wind are romances but as we've seen in some of our movie tournaments, films can be more than one genre at a time.

To say it another way, would the film exist if not for war? If it would not, then I consider it a war film.

skyofcrack
11-20-2016, 07:30 AM
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
49th Parallel

needfulthings
11-20-2016, 10:58 AM
I assume that this 100 year old film should be added to the list?
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6154/Iq4j6N.jpg
and of course this must be added to My best war films list...
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2133/P59cHp.jpg
also managed to pick up this Blu-Ray set on my RENO/LAS VEGAS shopping trip.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1723/mjrDNQ.jpg

HELLO!
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/707/aduOqa.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
11-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Casablanca a war film? LOL! :rolleyes:

needfulthings
11-20-2016, 02:17 PM
YES! Not all wars are fought on the battlefield.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3379/6s7gKO.jpg
Being from the U.K. you should know this better then anyone....
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4770/k2qCrt.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img923/4297/4PxnIK.jpg

needfulthings
11-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Take your pick.....
149 min,239min or 293min.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7536/R5IrO2.jpg

DoctorZaius
11-20-2016, 02:53 PM
A Midnight Clear is a brilliantly executed war film that has some incredible silent moments.

needfulthings
11-20-2016, 10:49 PM
:evil:
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1139/WY5F1J.jpg

webstar1000
11-21-2016, 04:12 AM
I am actually watching Saving Private Ryan again. What great film. I would say it is equal to Hacksaw Ridge for me anyways.... I had a lot of discussion about that on the Rate a Film thread... is there a way to do a poll for best war film? Be interesting to see

Randall Flagg
11-21-2016, 02:00 PM
I am actually watching Saving Private Ryan again. What great film. I would say it is equal to Hacksaw Ridge for me anyways.... I had a lot of discussion about that on the Rate a Film thread... is there a way to do a poll for best war film? Be interesting to see
We would have to do something similar to the music tournament. Lots of work with multiple polls-many of which flood people when they look at new posts.

Merlin1958
11-21-2016, 02:03 PM
We would have to do something similar to the music tournament. Lots of work with multiple polls-many of which flood people when they look at new posts.

Could we just do a "straw poll' in thread to determine the top 5 and then do a formal poll to keep the threads to a minimum? Say, ten days to nominate and second and see what may come of it?

I could utilize my trusty "legal Pad" to tabulate the straw poll, I think.

1. Saving Pvt Ryan
2. The Patriot
3. The Green Berets
4. Platoon
5. Apocalypse Now

Tommy
11-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Paths of Glory
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
All Quiet on the Western Front
Dr. Strangelove

Merlin1958
11-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Paths of Glory
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Dr. Strangelove

See, this could be done with a single additional thread. If, RF would help (I am terrible at "Poll threads") we can tabulate everyone's top five from now until midnight, AZ time, Nov 30th and start the poll thread 12/1. I tabulate by hand so to speak so if some of you are willing to check me I'll keep tabs to see which 5 films are most liked and then do the poll for the winner. I say we stick to US bonafide conflicts like WWI/II Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Greneda and Iraq. Did I miss a conflict with a film? No "Spy", "Sci-Fi" or "Fantasy" films? Sound good? I welcome any thoughts in the next twenty four hours, if we are going to make a go of this.

Tommy
11-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Paths of Glory
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Dr. Strangelove

See, this could be done with a single additional thread. If, RF would help (I am terrible at "Poll threads") we can tabulate everyone's top five from now until midnight, AZ time, Nov 30th and start the poll thread 12/1. I tabulate by hand so to speak so if some of you are willing to check me I'll keep tabs to see which 5 films are most liked and then do the poll for the winner. I say we stick to US bonafide conflicts like WWI/II Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Greneda and Iraq. Did I miss a conflict with a film? No "Spy", "Sci-Fi" or "Fantasy" films? Sound good? I welcome any thoughts in the next twenty four hours, if we are going to make a go of this.

Personally, I don't think any restraints are necessary but I don't mind them either if that is how you would like to do it. What about The Cold War, Civil War and Revolutionary War?

DoctorZaius
11-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Glad to see the enthusiasm in the thread I created. I hoped for more thoughtful discussion about films and less listing. I like the idea of a poll, though I don't have time to put one together.

Another favorite of mine - Gallipoli. An early Mel Gibson. Such a tragic ending - the film, not Mel.

Merlin1958
11-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Paths of Glory
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Dr. Strangelove

Personally, I don't think any restraints are necessary but I don't mind them either if that is how you would like to do it. What about The Cold War, Civil War and Revolutionary War?

Sure. I only listed those conflicts to get the ball rolling. Whatever you guys feel is valid is cool by me. I'm just the accountant I guess!!! lol lol

Tommy
11-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Glad to see the enthusiasm in the thread I created. I hoped for more thoughtful discussion about films and less listing. I like the idea of a poll, though I don't have time to put one together.

Another favorite of mine - Gallipoli. An early Mel Gibson. Such a tragic ending - the film, not Mel.

lol, I just added that one to my list before reading your post. I have a feeling stray war films will be popping into my head for days now that I've got them on my mind thanks to this thread.

Merlin1958
11-21-2016, 02:54 PM

lol, I just added that one to my list before reading your post. I have a feeling stray war films will be popping into my head for days now that I've got them on my mind thanks to this thread.

This is all fine. However, I do want to caution that we will need to define the genre and offer lists of our top five within the suggested time frame in order to have an "official" poll. So let me know the parameters and make your lists folks. More discussion can theoretically occur once the poll thread is started. That make sense to everyone? Remember, I'm just taking a stab at organizing something here. I am by no means the "general" or calling the shots. It's a cooperative thing as long as I feel I can handle it and deliver for you all!! LOL

That all is of course if you want me to do this in the first place. Also, I will need some "checkers" for sure. Like I said this should be a cooperative effort.

Still Servant
11-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Take your pick.....
149 min,239min or 293min.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7536/R5IrO2.jpg

Gah, that reminds me of another favorite sub genre of mine - Submarine films.

I'm not sure we will ever truly agree on what defines a war film, but I've always felt it has to depict modern warfare. For example, I don't consider Braveheart a war film. I can't really explain why, I just don't.

As for the tournament, it's been a while since we had a movie tournament. Pablo has put a lot of effort into the music tournament. I've mentioned a few times about doing smaller genre tournaments, but it's still a lot of work and somebody would need to take the lead.

We could always use something like Survey Monkey too.

Mattrick
11-21-2016, 04:35 PM
I say if we do a tournament, let's just use Brackify. Screw all these polls and 8 month long tournaments and all the bickering that comes with them. Make a list of 64, randomly seed them, and we can have it over and done with in a few weeks.

Still Servant
11-21-2016, 04:49 PM
I created this as an example using Google Forms. This is just an alternative instead of flooding the forum with numerous threads, which I'm fine with as long as everybody else is. I'd be willing to put these together as long as we have a concrete list of films. I wish I had more time to actually run the whole thing, but I don't. Especially this time of year.

Best War Films of All-Time - Group 1 (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSenSkT8MPRuutr6CbqKahEpCGH8vaUX7j7c9sh91Wv8 1Vpg7w/viewform)

Still Servant
11-21-2016, 04:53 PM
I say if we do a tournament, let's just use Brackify. Screw all these polls and 8 month long tournaments and all the bickering that comes with them. Make a list of 64, randomly seed them, and we can have it over and done with in a few weeks.

I'm not familiar with Brackify, but I will check them out. I've always said a March Madness tournament would be really cool for some of our movie tournaments. However, I don't agree with making it random. Some films could really get screwed with a random drawing. It would have to be weighted like the NCAA tournament, which is where it gets difficult.

Mattrick
11-21-2016, 08:35 PM

I'm not familiar with Brackify, but I will check them out. I've always said a March Madness tournament would be really cool for some of our movie tournaments. However, I don't agree with making it random. Some films could really get screwed with a random drawing. It would have to be weighted like the NCAA tournament, which is where it gets difficult.

Random at least then is movie by movie. Some movies will get screwed with seeds too. And we'll just bicker over seeding lol

webstar1000
11-22-2016, 04:28 AM
I created this as an example using Google Forms. This is just an alternative instead of flooding the forum with numerous threads, which I'm fine with as long as everybody else is. I'd be willing to put these together as long as we have a concrete list of films. I wish I had more time to actually run the whole thing, but I don't. Especially this time of year.

Best War Films of All-Time - Group 1 (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSenSkT8MPRuutr6CbqKahEpCGH8vaUX7j7c9sh91Wv8 1Vpg7w/viewform)

WOW... hard first round!!! I went with SPR.

ladysai
11-22-2016, 06:02 AM
Before we decide on the logictics of voting, shouldnt we define "war movie"?

As I am currently out of work, I would be willing to help with the tournament.

webstar1000
11-22-2016, 06:16 AM
Before we decide on the logictics of voting, shouldnt we define "war movie"?

As I am currently out of work, I would be willing to help with the tournament.

I would agree that it should be centric to Wars after the turn of the 20th century. Modern Warfare to be exact... thoughts

DoctorZaius
11-22-2016, 11:56 AM
A good beginning from wikipedia...

"War film is a film genre concerned with warfare, typically about naval, air, or land battles in the twentieth century, with combat scenes central to the drama. The fateful nature of battle scenes means that war films often end with them." This would at least eliminate The Sound of Music and the like :lol1:

Tommy
11-22-2016, 01:00 PM
It also eliminates The Best Years of Our Lives.

needfulthings
11-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Also...."YOU DON'T WANT TO FUCK WITH US!"
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2038/nZczCz.jpg

ladysai
11-22-2016, 05:04 PM
I like the Wiki definition and would accept it as guidance in deciding which films can be in the tournament.

Mattrick
11-22-2016, 05:13 PM
I think War film I think WWI and beyond, though civil war is acceptable to me.

needfulthings
11-23-2016, 11:14 AM
The aerial photography & Jerry Goldsmith's score make THIS movie SOAR.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5070/CFMzgf.jpg[

Merlin1958
11-23-2016, 03:51 PM
I guess I was voted off the island. lol lol

needfulthings
11-23-2016, 05:13 PM

:evil:Looks like that just leaves......
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2830/MSf2D4.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img924/975/eRRv1e.jpg

Still Servant
11-23-2016, 05:24 PM
I found Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman at Goodwill today, but the case was empty. Is it any good?

Tommy
11-23-2016, 06:03 PM
I found Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman at Goodwill today, but the case was empty. Is it any good?

I haven't seen that one yet.

needfulthings
11-23-2016, 07:25 PM
WHAT IF WE CALL THIS ONE......
"GAS WARS"?
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/7549/Lc4ogC.jpg

Tommy
11-23-2016, 07:29 PM
"GAS WARS"?

GAS WARS is what will be happening in my house tomorrow after Thanksgiving dinner. :doh:

ladysai
11-24-2016, 05:13 AM

What do you mean? Voted out of a possible tournament?
Seems to me like we are still in the planning stages and need your input and help as we go on.

ladysai
11-24-2016, 05:15 AM
"GAS WARS"?

GAS WARS is what will be happening in my house tomorrow after Thanksgiving dinner. :doh:

LOL! Same here... I will likely have to open a window or light a scented candle after the feast.

needfulthings
11-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't know if it is such a good idea to have an open flame around?:lol:

ladysai
11-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Good point. :lol:

Lookwhoitis
11-25-2016, 06:39 PM
I'd be interested in an off boards bracket on Brackify.

The on boards ones flood the new posts and clutter up the place and are often full of cliques and arguing.

Merlin1958
11-25-2016, 08:51 PM

The on boards ones flood the new posts and clutter up the place and are often full of cliques and arguing.

Speaking solely for myself, I wouldn't say that arguing is involved. More like the occasional isolated rant or complaint, but you are correct a multitude of threads creates clutter on the forums especially since quite a few folks like to comment regarding their vote. I suggested something fairly simple and restricted to one or two threads, but perhaps an "off site" poll is the way to go.

Still Servant
11-26-2016, 06:23 AM

I'm not really sure I'd call them cliques. I'm constantly having disagreements with Feev and Matt on here, and they are two of the people I'm closest with the most on here.

fernandito
11-30-2016, 04:42 PM
War films are some of my favorite films because of the pitch black moral waters they wade in. They're ripe for visceral imagery and seldom is humanity's savage nature so brilliantly captured.

If you put a gun to my head and force me to pick my top 5 war films of all time, it would look something like this.

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Come and See
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. The Thin Red Line

Honorable mention: Platoon.

I know Matt is going to bark my head off for not listing Paths of Glory, but it's been years since I've seen it. Need to rewatch it to see where it lands among my favorites.

Also.. I can't believe we didn't have a thread for this already. Shame on us.

Lookwhoitis
11-30-2016, 04:55 PM

I'm not really sure I'd call them cliques. I'm constantly having disagreements with Feev and Matt on here, and they are two of the people I'm closest with the most on here.

Perhaps it is a harsh word, but I have personally backed out of tourney participation due to getting my feathers ruffled in a previous experience. I feel that way more time is spent on the method than the result or cogent discussion, but of course that could just be me.

In better news, I saw Hacksaw Ridge last night and was blown away. Mel Gibson's directing skills are just my cup of tea. The battle scenes were brutal. Certainly a run for the money in consideration of best Pacific Theater WW2 movie which for me was previously help by Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers / Letters from Iwo Jima

Still Servant
11-30-2016, 05:03 PM
I have personally backed out of tourney participation due to getting my feathers ruffled in a previous experience. I feel that way more time is spent on the method than the result or cogent discussion, but of course that could just be me.

I can see that. There have been some instances where people get passionate, which I think is great as long as it doesn't go too far. I think the idea of a tournament is to elicit conversation. That said, you're right, a byproduct of that is things getting nasty.

In better news, I saw Hacksaw Ridge last night and was blown away. Mel Gibson's directing skills are just my cup of tea. The battle scenes were brutal. Certainly a run for the money in consideration of best Pacific Theater WW2 movie which for me was previously help by Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers / Letters from Iwo Jima

I love Gibson as a director. The man knows how to direct a battle scene. Hacksaw Ridge's battle scenes still don't surpass Braveheart for me, but it's right up there.

I loved Letters from Iwo Jima, but I thought Flags of our Fathers felt rather hollow.

Lookwhoitis
11-30-2016, 05:08 PM
I kind of think of them as one film. Even if they are standalone works. I enjoyed the attempt to tell the story from different perspectives.

webstar1000
12-01-2016, 04:23 AM

Perhaps it is a harsh word, but I have personally backed out of tourney participation due to getting my feathers ruffled in a previous experience. I feel that way more time is spent on the method than the result or cogent discussion, but of course that could just be me.

100% my thoughts too. I thought it sooooooooooo good. I loved every minute of it!