PDA

View Full Version : Reading the series in an altered state of consciousness

Wuducynn
02-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Have any of you folk on here done this? If so, what were your experiences, if you had any.

Brice
02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
...and how did this topic come up. :lol:

I've read the whole series (or most of it) while high on just weed and while drinking. I've also read the first three books on lower doses (less than ten hits) of acid. While doing this I just kinda' felt like I was watching everything happen in th books. It's really far better reading it during the afterglow though. Your mind tends to wander less and your generally less distracted by outside stimulus (i.e.: everything else :lol: ) I tried and somewhat succeeded reading DotT while peaking on about 120 hits of extremely good liquid, but could see little more most of the time than swirling colors and lights on the blank white page. I could even see lights of all colors within the black (ink/typing) while trying. Of course I could see the same in everything else too. This was a rather extreme trip though. It kinda' surpasses any explanations. On smaller dosages, it was just like I was an observer within Roland's world. Nothing really a good imagination can't give you.

Ryan
02-05-2008, 07:32 AM
I have much to my own pleasure. Most of the experiences I've had is like reading liquid poetry. Reading SK altered, for me, is like listening to the Greatful Dead, the music is music until they start to tie it in and it becomes full and transparent at the same time. Full of light and floating. The words of his work seem to flow off the page into my head creating images and narrating these in it's own rhythum. And I float on it like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream (John Candy P.T.A.). One very strong memory is in the second book where RD has drawn ED and DW through the doors. ED is humping DW up the beach in the chair. The lonely undending strand, the sea, the sand, the emptyness. I can't remember exactly the words but the feeling I got when I read it has never left me.

Brice
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I have much to my own pleasure. Most of the experiences I've had is like reading liquid poetry. Reading SK altered, for me, is like listening to the Greatful Dead, the music is music until they start to tie it in and it becomes full and transparent at the same time. Full of light and floating. The words of his work seem to flow off the page into my head creating images and narrating these in it's own rhythum. And I float on it like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream (John Candy P.T.A.). One very strong memory is in the second book where RD has drawn ED and DW through the doors. ED is humping DW up the beach in the chair. The lonely undending strand, the sea, the sand, the emptyness. I can't remember exactly the words but the feeling I got when I read it has never left me.

Awesome! Another deadhead? :dance:

jayson
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
physically reading tripping is beyond my powers. audiobook reading on the other hand... i did W&G once on shrooms. still the book i can visualize the most. i felt like one of roland's tet being told the story of mejis and "seeing" it as they did. it's as close to todash as i've gone i suspect.

MonteGss
02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I've not been able to read much of anything in an altered state. I've tried but it never works. Listening to the audios would be cool though, I don't rule that out. :)

Ryan
02-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Agreed...if you're trippin' balls anything but thought is hard. but with a little grass to keep me topped up I'm good to go.:nana:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-05-2008, 07:47 AM
ED is humping DW up the beach

In an altered state, this conjours up something different. :excited:

Brice
02-05-2008, 07:48 AM
:lol: That is just wrong.

Ryan
02-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Agreed.... Not where my head (ehem) was at at all

jayson
02-05-2008, 07:59 AM
ED is humping DW up the beach

In an altered state, this conjours up something different. :excited:

dude find the "unfortunate quotes" thread and add that one. that's awesome!!!!

Ryan
02-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Nice...:cry: They don't make a bandaid for feelings you know *sniff*

Wuducynn
02-05-2008, 08:22 AM
I consider listening to the audio books reading.

Ryan
02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
I just got all 7 on one dvd and will listen to them as the year draws nigh, Christmas time is when I usually pick them up and read into the new year.

sarah
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I admit to nothing. http://forums.apple-group.com/images/smilies/ShiftyEye_15.gif

:cool:

Ryan
02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Admit to what..... what's everyone talking about.... I don't know anything.... who am I, where are we.....

Brice
02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
I admit to nothing. http://forums.apple-group.com/images/smilies/ShiftyEye_15.gif

:cool:

That is enough of a confession in itself Sarah. :rofl:

Wuducynn
02-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Its an interesting idea, tripping while listening to the Dark Tower series. Which drug would you folk recommend? Shrooms, acid or something else?

sarah
02-05-2008, 09:00 AM
wha? hmmm Brice, what are you saying?

*coughnoproofcoughdenycough*

Wuducynn
02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Its an interesting idea, tripping while listening to the Dark Tower series. Which drug would you folk recommend? Shrooms, acid or something else?

*bump*

Brice
02-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Low dosage LSD if you can get it. Wait till you start to come down. Shrooms might be nice too though. It's all what your preference is really.

wha? hmmm Brice, what are you saying?

*coughnoproofcoughdenycough*

Yes, I am certain you are innocent. :lol:

Brice
02-05-2008, 09:04 AM

*bump*

Impatient fucker, aintcha' :lol:
I was answering you already.

Ryan
**begin code___
I enjoy reading a 'good' (they're all good) SK novel while Mary Jane reads over my shoulder
___end code**

sarah
Yes, I am certain you are innocent. :lol:

:innocent:

Wuducynn
02-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Low dosage LSD if you can get it. Wait till you start to come down. Shrooms might be nice too though. It's all what your preference is really.

Have you done both while reading the DT series?

Brice
02-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Have you done both while reading the DT series?

No, only varying quantities of acid. I am just saying whichever you'd "normally" prefer would probably be the best choice for you. They all lead down the same paths anyhow eventually. I suspect there wouldn't be a drastic difference unless you were to use some of the more extreme hallucnogens/deliriants. If you've done both whichever you like best is what I'd go with. :)

jayson
02-05-2008, 09:29 AM

i'd always rec shrooms in the case of something mellow like a listening experience [particularly a book]. acid can tend to be a bit speedy, while shrooms typically are not. the mental aspect is more or less the same as far as being able to zone into the book. as far as visuals go, i usually find shrooms better there as well though not to say acid isn't good for that. for me, there are two words... mushroom chocolate. give it half an hour and press play and i'll see you on the other side of topeka.

fernandito
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I can play soccer while I'm stoned, I can drive a car while I'm stoned, but I can't fucking read a book while stoned. :cry: I can't seem to concentrate, my mind just keeps wandering off.

Darkthoughts
02-06-2008, 02:45 AM
I can't read when drunk, mostly because I can't focus :D

Haven't read DT in any altered states, but I read LOTR when stoned and it was amazing. I was between jobs and had 2 weeks off, I was living on my own in a big house (I was looking after it for a friend who was away for the summer).
I bought loads of munchies and some good hash and holed myself up in the top bedroom which had these awesome wall to ceiling windows...and just read and smoked, smoked and read.

I'd read the books before, but never all the way through...I'd skimmed alot...and I've reread LoTR many times since, but its never been so intense as that stoned reading sesh :thumbsup:

jayson
02-06-2008, 04:26 AM
if we're counting stoned, i've read the series [and almost every other book on my shelves] in that state.

Wuducynn
02-06-2008, 06:21 AM
I bought loads of munchies and some good hash and holed myself up in the top bedroom which had these awesome wall to ceiling windows...and just read and smoked, smoked and read.

I'd read the books before, but never all the way through...I'd skimmed alot...and I've reread LoTR many times since, but its never been so intense as that stoned reading sesh :thumbsup:

Imagine if that had been the Dark Tower series! :harrier:

fernandito
02-06-2008, 06:24 AM

:clap:

I think I'll probably give it another try when I pick up Duma Key. Only this time I'll try it with bud-cookies!:excited:

Darkthoughts
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM

Imagine if that had been the Dark Tower series! :harrier:

I plan on it when the kids leave home and I'm guaranteed more than 10 minutes of uninterrupted reading time :D

cozener
02-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Considering that much of the series was written under the influence I felt that I pretty much had to read at least some of it that way too. The only effect was that I had reread some paragraphs here and there :)

Wuducynn
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Considering that much of the series was written under the influence I felt that I pretty much had to read at least some of it that way too. The only effect was that I had reread some paragraphs here and there :)

What drug were you under the influence of?

I plan on it when the kids leave home and I'm guaranteed more than 10 minutes of uninterrupted reading time :D

Very cool, I wish I could join you. Maybe get baked and listen to the series. :harrier:

jayson
02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Very cool, I wish I could join you. Maybe get baked and listen to the series. :harrier:

i am passed my psyechedelic dayss, but i find good weed and the audiobooks are a fine combo.

ATG
02-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Stoned or half drunk when I'm not asleep so I'd have to say, AYE!

cozener
02-06-2008, 07:20 PM

What drug were you under the influence of?
Marijuana...pretty much the only intoxicant I do nowadays.

Darkthoughts
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't believe they'll be leaving for at least 15 years, so we've got plenty of time. Maybe we should book a cruise :D