PDA

View Full Version : Great Music - Playoffs Round 2: 1950-1954 (Bracket 8 of 8)

mae
09-22-2016, 01:41 PM
For this playoffs poll, please choose one track to move on to the Quarterfinals.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do listen to each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a track well, it's still worth giving it a listen for a refresher.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCwTwilmhyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAVm3Yq5c4

Jon
09-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Hank just has the better tune here.

mae
09-23-2016, 07:32 AM
Really? "Singin'" is just so epic and iconic.

Jon
09-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Yes. It is likely the winner here...I just don't think it to be the best. Without the dance it seems to fall Flat.

divemaster
09-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Really? "Singin'" is just so epic and iconic.

The movie scene is. But the song by itself? Nah. I mean, it's a nice song, but had to go with Hank Williams - Hey, Good Lookin' (1951) for the vote here.

St. Troy
09-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Singin' In The Rain

...which is a nice song. A bit chilling when I recall the scene from A Clockwork Orange, though.

Jean
09-28-2016, 09:19 AM
sometimes it is impossible to determine what you're really voting for

the movie - the emotions it brought when you watched it for the first time - how young you were then - what the world was like - your own nostalgia -

as a piece of music, I like Hank's song way better

and I've consistently tried to vote for music, music, not the external considerations, throughout the tournament

but this time it feels like the irrelevant part is somehow... more relevant

mae
09-28-2016, 09:27 AM
That's all I vote on, the music.

Jean
09-28-2016, 09:28 AM
I too think I vote solely on music... but I've just started wondering

Iwritecode
09-29-2016, 07:00 AM
I'm just the opposite. I know almost nothing about music. I don't know how to create it, read it, write it, compose it, play it, etc...

Although I've heard the words, I know almost nothing about rhythm or melody or tempo. I only know that I enjoy listening to music. But I'm about the farthest thing from a music critic that you can get. I have no idea what makes a good song "good" and what makes a bad song "bad".

So my votes are based mostly on emotion. Sometimes my vote can change based on what mood I'm in. But that's what makes these tournaments fun. Everyone has their own definition of good, better and best. :coo3l:

mae
09-29-2016, 01:47 PM
The poll has closed. "Singin' in the Rain" will face Muddy Waters - Rollin' Stone (1950) in the Quarterfinals.

Jon
09-29-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm just the opposite. I know almost nothing about music. I don't know how to create it, read it, write it, compose it, play it, etc...

Although I've heard the words, I know almost nothing about rhythm or melody or tempo. I only know that I enjoy listening to music. But I'm about the farthest thing from a music critic that you can get. I have no idea what makes a good song "good" and what makes a bad song "bad".

So my votes are based mostly on emotion. Sometimes my vote can change based on what mood I'm in. But that's what makes these tournaments fun. Everyone has their own definition of good, better and best. :coo3l:

I feel that it is precisely this that makes you a perfect "critic" at least as it pertains to this tournament as the tournament is about the "end product."

Jon
09-29-2016, 06:35 PM

the movie - the emotions it brought when you watched it for the first time - how young you were then - what the world was like - your own nostalgia -

and I've consistently tried to vote for music, music, not the external considerations, throughout the tournament

Yes. And as this tournament began I had a knee jerk reaction to the posting of videos as opposed to a pure MP3 file. You so eloquently put my reasons for the reaction into words.

I DO understand, however, the difficulty in posting MP3 files as opposed to the videos. We did the best we could with available materials. But Jean, as usual, makes a valid point and I have often wondered what exactly was driving MY votes.

Brice
09-29-2016, 08:36 PM

I open the videos in another window, don't watch, vote, then go back and watch some of them.