PDA

View Full Version : Westworld on HBO *Spoilers!*

Pages : [1] 2

fernandito
09-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Gotta feeling we're going to be talking about this show a lot. It's certainly my most anticipated new show.

IGN already reviewed the Pilot episode and it is glowing. Click here (http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/15/westworld-the-original-review).

Based on the 1973 film written and directed by Michael Crichton, Westworld focuses on what was clearly a favorite topic of the Jurassic Park author – a high concept theme park. In the park that gives the show its name, the Wild West has been painstakingly recreated. But this goes beyond the buildings to those who inhabit Westworld – human-looking robots/androids who have been “Built to gratify the desires of the people who come to visit” as one character puts it. Want to find a local to give you a tour of the area? There’s a robot for that. Want to shoot a bad guy? There’s a robot for that. Want to have sex with a prostitute? There’s a robot for that. And so on…

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTEyODk5NTc2MjNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDQ5NTgwOTkx._ V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Merlin1958
09-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I'm down for this show. It's in my que. Looking forward to it.

Still Servant
09-15-2016, 05:41 PM
I hope so. I was just in NYC and every freaking bus has a Westworld ad on it.

mattgreenbean
09-15-2016, 06:54 PM
This was always a favorite movie of mine, but it turns out most people my wife and I know had never heard of it. Maybe the show will lead some to the original. Also, there already was a tv show of this, I never saw it, but it did exist.

zelig
09-15-2016, 09:04 PM
I remember being dazzled by the movie as a child. Looking forward to the show.

Still Servant
09-18-2016, 03:49 PM
This was always a favorite movie of mine, but it turns out most people my wife and I know had never heard of it. Maybe the show will lead some to the original. Also, there already was a tv show of this, I never saw it, but it did exist.

The movie is fantastic, but you're right, most people have never heard of it. That being said, don't expect it to be like the film, I heard it's going to be vastly different.

I have no idea what the format of the show is, but in theory, there are endless possibilities for seasons. Think about it, you can show things hitting the fan from the perspective of the Western themed park like they did in the movie (they showed bits of the other parks, but the film mainly took place in the Western themed park). Then the next season we can see how things hit the fan in another one of the themed parks. The options are endless.

fernandito
09-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Don't forget guys, Pilot is airing this Sunday, October 2.

webstar1000
09-28-2016, 10:00 AM
I. CANNOT. WAIT.

zelig
09-28-2016, 10:02 AM
I don't have HBO. :-(

needfulthings
09-28-2016, 10:51 AM
1st EDITION MARCH 1974.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7150/7mYXHY.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8652/HjryKq.jpg

SPECIAL BOOK CLUB EDITION MARCH 1974.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/8656/26eU4M.jpg

Still Servant
09-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Don't forget guys, Pilot is airing this Sunday, October 2.

That would be impossible for me to forget. It's all I think about, which has me worried. I think it could become my newest TV obsession, but I worried I'm overhyping it. We shall see. I think it's going to be big though.

Side note: I've touted it before, but the app Twee is great for this time of year. It helps me keep track of which episodes I've watched. Also, there's a widget that shows you which shows are airing on that particular day. Great little helper.

BrandoRex
09-28-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. I had hoped for a remake or something similar but HBO doing this is going to be awesome. Just curious is to how long the series would last. After the robots go "haywire" an end has to be coming soon unless it's like Jurassic Park and they go forward into another season with another park.

Still Servant
09-30-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. I had hoped for a remake or something similar but HBO doing this is going to be awesome. Just curious is to how long the series would last. After the robots go "haywire" an end has to be coming soon unless it's like Jurassic Park and they go forward into another season with another park.

Actually, I think it's the opposite. Of course, I don't know the format of the show, but I think it lends itself to endless possibilities. In the film, we see there are numerous worlds - one that is Western themed, one that is Roman themed and one that is Medieval themed. It's safe to say that all hell breaks loose at the same time. I'm assuming we see the shit hit the fan in Westworld, much like the film. Season 2 can start from scratch and show us shit hitting the fan in Medieval World so on, and so on.

They could also go ahead and create numerous other worlds to inhabit. Space World, Pirate World, etc. The possibilities are vast.

needfulthings
09-30-2016, 08:20 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/9537/6rYlEt.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1284/x1KcU8.jpg

webstar1000
10-03-2016, 05:11 AM
I am watching tonight... can't wait. Anyone see it? What do you think?

BrandoRex
10-03-2016, 07:56 AM
I thought it was really good. The Man in Black was a surprising start to the series - a good one. Looks like having watched the movie, they are taking you off in a different realm than before. A little sad to not see any Roman or Mideval world but it's got my thumbs up!

fernandito
10-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Incredible premiere. I can't stop thinking about it.

One of the most intriguing hooks for me was the morally dubious sandbox this array of characters would get to play in. A theme park where people are given carte blanche to indulge their darkest impulses is sure to be host to a slew of deplorable, violent acts and Westworld wisely gleefully places these front and center.

Then of course, there's the Turing-esque aspect and the eternal question of what consciousness really means. Considering that this is just the first episode and these heavy questions are already being asked, I'm hopeful for the future of this show.

Also, I knew that as soon as Bernie said "they wouldn't have a fly" around the halfway mark, that the episode would in with a character smashing a fly. :lol:

fernandito
10-03-2016, 09:05 AM
The Man in Black was a surprising start to the series - a good one.

Yeah, the MiB seems to be an unknown quantity at this point. It seems that none of the creators are aware of his sinister actions. Or maybe they are but are letting them play out anyway..

BrandoRex
10-03-2016, 12:12 PM
The Man in Black was a surprising start to the series - a good one.

Yeah, the MiB seems to be an unknown quantity at this point. It seems that none of the creators are aware of his sinister actions. Or maybe they are but are letting them play out anyway..

At the end of the episode, he's been there for at least 3 cycles? So yeah, apparently they don't know he's there. I have to wonder if there is some kind of rogue element that wants their technology to use for nefarious purposes and he's their agent.

The talk with the creative director(?) and the company woman seems to allude that there is some kind of military/espionage capability that they are refining or going to have to use for.

I've got to say, it's way better than I thought it would be.

Still Servant
10-03-2016, 04:12 PM

One of the most intriguing hooks for me was the morally dubious sandbox this array of characters would get to play in. A theme park where people are given carte blanche to indulge their darkest impulses is sure to be host to a slew of deplorable, violent acts and Westworld wisely gleefully places these front and center.

Then of course, there's the Turing-esque aspect and the eternal question of what consciousness really means. Considering that this is just the first episode and these heavy questions are already being asked, I'm hopeful for the future of this show.

Also, I knew that as soon as Bernie said "they wouldn't have a fly" around the halfway mark, that the episode would in with a character smashing a fly. :lol:

I've been thinking about it all day too. In fact, despite having to be up at 6 a.m., I started watching it in bed while "trying" to fall asleep. That didn't happen. As you mentioned, there are so many layers to what's going on in this world. It's fascinating really.

It really begs the question, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then isn't it a duck? Also, if you fuck that duck just because you can with no repercussions because, after all, it's not really a duck. Doesn't that still make you a sick duck fucker?

I guess what I'm trying to say in my own weird way is that, shouldn't a person still be held responsible for their immoral actions whether or not they are being committed in a make believe world to non-human beings? Also, before anybody says it, it's NOT the same as playing a video game.

Anyway, I can't wait to visit this world again.

Merlin1958
10-03-2016, 08:04 PM

I've been thinking about it all day too. In fact, despite having to be up at 6 a.m., I started watching it in bed while "trying" to fall asleep. That didn't happen. As you mentioned, there are so many layers to what's going on in this world. It's fascinating really.

It really begs the question, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then isn't it a duck? Also, if you fuck that duck just because you can with no repercussions because, after all, it's not really a duck. Doesn't that still make you a sick duck fucker?

I guess what I'm trying to say in my own weird way is that, shouldn't a person still be held responsible for their immoral actions whether or not they are being committed in a make believe world to non-human beings? Also, before anybody says it, it's NOT the same as playing a video game.

Anyway, I can't wait to visit this world again.

Though it may be depraved (I agree) isn't that expressly what they are selling. A forum to commit acts folks normally would reserve themselves from in the real world.

Randall Flagg
10-04-2016, 06:31 AM
I viewed it last night and really enjoyed it.

fernandito
10-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Though it may be depraved (I agree) isn't that expressly what they are selling. A forum to commit acts folks normally would reserve themselves from in the real world.

Precisely.

The concept of the Westworld theme park is just a blank canvas for humans to project their darkest desires onto.

Westworld and Jurassic Park share many similarities, chief of which is the crystallization of mankind's inherent desire to play God.

Ben Staad
10-04-2016, 11:46 AM
I watched 30 minutes and played God by turning it off. Maybe I made a mistake?

fernandito
10-04-2016, 02:48 PM

I don't know...

Do you like good Television?

Ben Staad
10-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Let me know when this show is good and I will watch it. I enjoy a few shows like Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones but I didn't care much for this. I will stay out of this thread. Granted I didn't stick with it very long but I didn't enjoy any of the characters I had been introduced to. They all seemed to be bad guys or they weren't real people.

I don't know...

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Let me know when this show is good and I will watch it. I enjoy a few shows like Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones but I didn't care much for this. I will stay out of this thread. Granted I didn't stick with it very long but I didn't enjoy any of the characters I had been introduced to. They all seemed to be bad guys or they weren't real people.

I don't know...

I think this one has teeth, Tim. I'll keep you informed!!

Ben Staad
10-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Bill. I may give this another chance later on.

I think this one has teeth, Tim. I'll keep you informed!!

allasorte
10-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Absolutely loved the premiere. I look forward to seeing what possibilities this show will have. Never knew there was a movie, so I will be looking into that as well.
The MIB......I am assuming people are referring this character is Ed Harris?

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Absolutely loved the premiere. I look forward to seeing what possibilities this show will have. Never knew there was a movie, so I will be looking into that as well.

Yes, they are. It's interesting because he seems to be a "guest", but in the film he was a robot gone bad. That is if my memory serves.

Still Servant
10-04-2016, 06:33 PM

I don't know...

No. No he doesn't.

Still Servant
10-04-2016, 06:39 PM

AH, HAH! See, that's exactly part of what the show is going to explore. You wrote them off because they weren't "real" people. What defines a real person? Also, just because they are robots doesn't make them any less human than you or I. I'm telling you, there's a lot going on here.

Yes, they are. It's interesting because he seems to be a "guest", but in the film he was a robot gone bad. That is if my memory serves.

Unlike the film, the Man in Black, or Gunslinger as he was called in the film as played by Yul Brynner, is actually human. At least that's my understanding.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 07:02 PM
My memory sucks, but I could a swore he was a robot. Getting old sucks!!! lol

zelig
10-04-2016, 07:14 PM
I think he was a robot too. But can't remember for sure. No I think he was human.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 07:20 PM
From "Wiki".........................

Westworld is a 1973 science fiction Western thriller film written and directed by novelist Michael Crichton and produced by Paul Lazarus III about amusement park robots that malfunction and begin killing visitors. It stars Yul Brynner as an android in a futuristic Western-themed amusement park, and Richard Benjamin and James Brolin as guests of the park.

Every once in a while the old brain actually works!!! lol lol

Still Servant
10-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The character Ed Harris is playing in the TV show is essentially the same character that Brynner played in the film. As I stated above, UNLIKE the film, the character Harris is playing is NOT an android. He is indeed human, at least that is what we are led to believe at the moment.

I hope I've made myself more clear. I realize the whole thing is tricky.

zelig
10-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Uh okay, understood.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Yeah, okay. Yul Brynner = Robot in the original film. Ed Harris (MIB) = human (so far) in the series. Yes?

needfulthings
10-04-2016, 09:12 PM

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CLUE?:lol:
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7150/7mYXHY.jpg

webstar1000
10-05-2016, 03:19 AM
MAN I LOVED IT. I cannot wait to see where this goes!!!!

allasorte
10-05-2016, 03:36 AM

I watched the movie last night. Not to spoil it. but the cowboy in black was definitely a robot. He took fire and acid and kept on coming. One tough hombre!

fernandito
10-05-2016, 08:02 AM
Are we sure Harris is a human on this show?

allasorte
10-05-2016, 08:20 AM

That would be my guess as he did mention "robots" not remembering him when he was here before. I'm guessing human, but sneaking in somehow. My guess.

Heather19
10-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Finally got to watch it last night. Really enjoyed it. And now I have to search out the movie since I've never seen it either.

webstar1000
10-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Should I watch the movie guys?

fernandito
10-05-2016, 10:02 AM

You don't need to have seen the movie to enjoy the show, but it's a very entertaining cult classic so seek if out if you're curious.

allasorte
10-05-2016, 03:23 PM

I liked it and glad I saw it. I'll do searches for new horror movies, top 20's of something, and so forth. Westworld never popped up in any lists. Not sure why.

zelig
10-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Yes, the movie had such a big impact on me when I saw it as a child. Scenes stayed with me through all the years. Haven't watched it in forever. Might be a little dated by today's standards.

Still Servant
10-05-2016, 03:27 PM

I liked it and glad I saw it. I'll do searches for new horror movies, top 20's of something, and so forth. Westworld never popped up in any lists. Not sure why.

I consider it more Sci-fi. It should pop up on any Sci-fi movie list.

I have this really good book called 101 Sci-Fi Movies You Must See Before You Die and it's in there.

https://www.amazon.com/101-Sci-Fi-Movies-Must-Before/dp/1845436555/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475710030&sr=8-1&keywords=101+sci+fi+movies

Still Servant
10-05-2016, 06:39 PM

No we are not. :ninja:

However, at this point, that's what we are led to believe.

Randall Flagg
10-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Viewed episode #2. I'm hooked (for now).

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Viewed episode #2. I'm hooked (for now).

Yeah, myself included. I believe it may be the best series on TV right now. At least in this genre. I'd also like to add, and maybe I am still in awe of my new 70" HD TV, but the cinematography is stunning and awe inspiring!

fernandito
10-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Saw ep. 2 last night, loved it.

Will post more thoughts soon..

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 01:24 PM
I'm beginning to think there is a more "human" element to the "Hosts" than we may have initially thought. The "fly" problem and the MRSA are none too subtle hints.

Still Servant
10-11-2016, 05:35 PM
My main problem with the show is that if there isn't a place like Westworld in my lifetime, I'm going to be pissed.

Also, when and where do you think the show takes place? I think we are fairly far in the future. I also think we are on another planet, like Mars or something. That might just be because I'm reading Red Rising at the moment.

Randall Flagg
10-11-2016, 06:17 PM
My early theory is that not revealing it this early...sorry.

Just as there appears to be multiple levels to the game, there are multiple levels to not only the hosts, but the guests.
Anthony Hopkins (Dr. Ford), seemed to step out and interact with himself as a young boy while designing a new concept.

Still Servant
10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Just as there appears to be multiple levels to the game, there are multiple levels to not only the hosts, but the guests. Anthony Hopkins (Dr. Ford), seemed to step out and interact with himself as a young boy while designing a new concept.

In regards to your second spoiler, thank god, I was hoping I wasn't the only person that thought that. Really mind-bending stuff here.

Bev Vincent
10-13-2016, 04:44 AM
I liked the second episode even better than the first. I was a little on the fence in the beginning, but I'm on board now.

webstar1000
10-13-2016, 05:08 AM
This show could be up there with my all time favs... I feel like I am starting a new "LOST"... and that to me is very exciting. I also read that because of the delays that they incurred... they had time to REALLY develop the story line and they know RIGHT where it is going... I love hearing that.

mattgreenbean
10-13-2016, 07:42 AM
I'm enjoying it a lot. Happy that it's not a straight redo of the movie. It's got enough mystery to have me wondering what's going to happen next. Acting is great and dialogue isn't crappy dribble. That's really all I ask for.

I did think it was funny that in this futuristic setting, Theresa is smoking a real cigarette and puts it out on that nice white walkway.

fernandito
10-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Just as there appears to be multiple levels to the game, there are multiple levels to not only the hosts, but the guests. Anthony Hopkins (Dr. Ford), seemed to step out and interact with himself as a young boy while designing a new concept.

In regards to your second spoiler, thank god, I was hoping I wasn't the only person that thought that. Really mind-bending stuff here.

I thought that there was something a little.. off about that android boy, but I never considered the spoiler'd theory. Cool stuff.

One scene that gave me chills and was probably a foreshadowing was when the maintenance guys said "can you imagine what would happen if these guys ever remembered what the guests do to them?"

Merlin1958
10-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Another great episode this evening!!!!!

fernandito
10-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Need to catch up on this last episode.. hopefully tonight!

Still Servant
10-17-2016, 03:53 PM

Indeed. Honestly, this show is operating on such a high level right now. I think it's amazing how it literally feels like you're watching two shows. Sometimes it feels like a Western and then it turns into a completely different show about the people running the park. Not to mention all the themes they are throwing at us. I'm not sure I've ever seen a show unroll a format like that.

Merlin1958
10-17-2016, 04:00 PM

Indeed. Honestly, this show is operating on such a high level right now. I think it's amazing how it literally feels like you're watching two shows. Sometimes it feels like a Western and then it turns into a completely different show about the people running the park. Not to mention all the themes they are throwing at us. I'm not sure I've ever seen a show unroll a format like that.

Oh, I agree!!! It reminds me of "Lost" in it's quality, but I am comfortable that they have a distinct plan in mind for the show. Frankly, I think it may be HBOs' finest work to date!!

Bev Vincent
10-18-2016, 03:43 AM
They still have me wondering who is real and who is a "robot" -- even among the staff.

fernandito
10-18-2016, 08:45 AM
I've added a spoiler tag to the title so you can now fire them off at will.

fernandito
10-18-2016, 08:48 AM
So I got caught up with last night's episode. Surprise surprise, another good one.

I love that each episode gives us answers even as it presents further mysteries. Just as there are multiple layers to the theme park, there are multiple layers to the characters and their motivations.

Let's compile a list of theories, shall we? The last two are my own.

Theories
1. The young android is Dr. Ford as a young boy
2. Bernard is an android
3. The Man in Black is Arnold.

Randall Flagg
10-18-2016, 02:20 PM
They still have me wondering who is real and who is a "robot" -- even among the staff.
Any and ALL of the characters are hosts, and or guests...Twinners if you will. There may come a time when a "human" meets themselves...and the host kills the human twinner.

Still Servant
10-18-2016, 04:15 PM
WestworldTheories

2. Bernard is an android
4. The park is located far in the future on a terraformed planet.
5. The flies transmit the "virus" between the hosts.

Bernard being an android crossed my mind. I think that's a distinct possibility. As for The Man in Black being Arnold, that's a good theory. I could see that happening. Good catch.

They also answered a question I had and that's how much it costs to visit the park. $40,000 a day. Holy shit! Worth every penny though.

Merlin1958
10-18-2016, 05:42 PM
IDK. Arnold as the MIB doesn't feel right. He helped create the park. Why would he be looking for its secrets? There's a "WTF" involving Ed Harris down the road, but I don't think that is it.

fernandito
10-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Interesting... what would be the reason behind the park though?

Bernard being an android crossed my mind. I think that's a distinct possibility. As for The Man in Black being Arnold, that's a good theory. I could see that happening. Good catch.

I just think they're being very ostentatious in showing Bernard's human side; the grief over the death of his son, Ford telling him "remember, they're not real", his fascination with Dolores. I just have this gut feeling that we're getting a reveal regarding Bernard very soon.

IDK. Arnold as the MIB doesn't feel right. He helped create the park. Why would he be looking for its secrets? There's a "WTF" involving Ed Harris down the road, but I don't think that is it.
I need to go back and rewatch that scene, but doesn't Ford answer Bernard's question about Arnold's current whereabouts very coyly?

What if Ford found a way to banish Arnold from the project and the latter has somehow been stuck on the park all these years, trying to find a way back to power?

fernandito
10-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Also, what was up with that android bashing his own brains in with the rock?

Still Servant
10-19-2016, 03:52 PM

What if he's not looking for secrets. What if he's looking for a way to destroy it?

Interesting... what would be the reason behind the park though?

The reason for the park doesn't change from what we know of it now, it's just the setting and location. I just think it's way too large of an environment to be in downtown LA. Think about it, it looks like it's even larger than the set that was built for The Truman Show (which could be seen from space if I'm not mistaken). I also get the vibe there are no boundaries. We won't be see a character walking into a massive painted wall anytime soon.

As far as taking place in the future, that's a no-brainer I suppose. The technology we see on the show just doesn't fit with what we are capable of at the moment.

No clue. That was fucked up though. Maybe it's some kind of automated self destruct system that was set off by somebody/something else. He walks all the way out there just to bash his head in, doesn't seem right.

allasorte
10-19-2016, 04:28 PM

Maybe that is where he was killed once or several times previously? He now remembered and he broke? We will see.

Merlin1958
10-20-2016, 09:15 AM
I need to go back and rewatch that scene, but doesn't Ford answer Bernard's question about Arnold's current whereabouts very coyly?

What if Ford found a way to banish Arnold from the project and the latter has somehow been stuck on the park all these years, trying to find a way back to power?[/QUOTE]

Possible, but I don't think so. I think, Arnold may just be wayward programming come back to haunt them.

[QUOTE=Still Servant;1028071]

What if he's not looking for secrets. What if he's looking for a way to destroy it?

[QUOTE=fernandito;1027961][QUOTE=Still Servant;1027831]

Do you really think that's it? Beside's Cole (I think says) "That man gets anything he wants" referring to the MIB. So, clearly they are aware of him at corporate.

MIB has only exhibited desires to play the game at another, deeper level. He also seems to be very familiar with all the hosts so far validating that he has been coming for years. Only thing I can really divine about him so far is that he LOVES the place, has a serious "mean streak and is rich beyond rich. He also does not plan to leave this time.

I am still intrigued by how the guests are protected from the hosts. There is something there as guns and knives are everywhere, but the Hosts still cannot harm the guests. Now some can be explained by programming, but the physical guns are a little weird. A guest can tear a hole in a host not vice versa. What if the guns got mixed up in a fight? Or stabbing weapons? The hosts think they are real after all. Can't put my finger on how that would work, practically.

fernandito
10-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Perhaps the guns are programmed in such a way that they will only fire if there is a 100% chance of hitting something within a designated 'heat map', i.e the hosts artificial bodies.

Bev Vincent
10-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Perhaps the guns are programmed in such a way that they will only fire if there is a 100% chance of hitting something within a designated 'heat map', i.e the hosts artificial bodies.

A real person got hit by a bullet in the most recent episode -- he ended up with a bruise on his shoulder.

Merlin1958
10-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Good thought. The guns always "fire" though. They can tear huge holes in one another and Guest guns do the same. However, only a pellet or something discharges when shooting at a guest. They haven't shown a guest shooting another guest yet, which must happen occasionally. Maybe I'm getting old, but it just doesn't jive in my head.

What would be the deal when they get to indians with primarily arrows, axes and knives?

fernandito
10-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Shit... that's true.

What if that scene is actually taking place in the past/the early days of the park somehow? Before the guns were revamped?

Merlin1958
10-20-2016, 09:49 AM
Shit... that's true.

What if that scene is actually taking place in the past/the early days of the park somehow? Before the guns were revamped?

???? There have been several scenes where a host takes a shot at a guest. Yet, the same gun fires and mortally wounds a host. Almost seems as if the tech was centered on the host bodies. Blood bags like in the movies. Yet, "Teddy" for example had multiple wounds. Also seems time consuming to repair and return them to the park after some of the slaughters.

Edit: Seems significant to me that they haven't bothered to explain the "tech" behind this.

Merlin1958
10-20-2016, 11:15 AM
By the way, there is some really cool behind the scenes stuff on the HBO website for this show. Real interactive and fun as well as full of inside info.

allasorte
10-20-2016, 05:04 PM
In the movie, the guns had sensors to not fire at a person with body heat. But, like we saw, someone got hit and only got a bruise. Interesting

Randall Flagg
10-20-2016, 05:27 PM
The flies transmit the "virus" between the hosts.
The site is likely on Earth given several references to star constellations (Orion, perhaps Ursa major-the bear.)
Several attackers seemed to be ninjas. and one looked like leatherface from Texas Chainsaw. A bit like a game that has wildcard characters.

Heather19
10-20-2016, 06:11 PM

I just think they're being very ostentatious in showing Bernard's human side; the grief over the death of his son, Ford telling him "remember, they're not real", his fascination with Dolores. I just have this gut feeling that we're getting a reveal regarding Bernard very soon.

This thought never crossed my mind, but it makes sense. That would be very interesting.

I was also thinking that the man in black was Arnold as well.

And about the guns, my guess is that there's no real bullets (well maybe a small pellet or something since the guest got bruised) but when fired at a host, the computer in the hosts gets triggered and sets off a gunshot wound wherever the gun was aimed at.

Merlin1958
10-21-2016, 06:56 AM
The site is likely on Earth given several references to star constellations (Orion, perhaps Ursa major-the bear.)
Several attackers seemed to be ninjas. and one looked like leatherface from Texas Chainsaw. A bit like a game that has wildcard characters.

This thought never crossed my mind, but it makes sense. That would be very interesting.

I was also thinking that the man in black was Arnold as well.

And about the guns, my guess is that there's no real bullets (well maybe a small pellet or something since the guest got bruised) but when fired at a host, the computer in the hosts gets triggered and sets off a gunshot wound wherever the gun was aimed at.

All good thoughts.

Re" "The Flys" The hosts have human flesh. At least partially, the flys are attracted to rotting flesh and the "Madam" had MRSR, which is bad ass Staph.

The pellet/PC theory is a good one but what about stabbing/cutting instruments?

Also, the "Hosts" bleed like crazy. Remember MIB bled 3 liters out of "Kissy". The Madam stepped in a pool of blood in the repair shop. Something fucked up is definitely going on!! LOL I think the "Hosts" maybe recycled humans, indigants or lower class in the future society?

FWIW, I really don't see the MIB as Arnold. To me "Arnold" seems more like a ghost in the machine.

Anyway, can't wait to see what narrative, Ford has cooked up!!!

RUBE
10-21-2016, 07:35 AM
I read an interview with the producers and they said that the guns have sensors to tell them who (or what) they are aimed at. They fire real bullets at hosts or anything else but non-lethal rounds at humans, sort of like a paint ball that doesn't break. It hurts but won't kill you. It is also why the hosts can't aim at the guests' heads (as seen in the first episode when MIB aims Teddy's gun at his head). It might not kill them but would hurt them real bad. MIB has been shot so many times he just shrugs them off but as we have seen it stuns newcomers.

As for other weapons, they showed last week many of the hosts are programmed to not even touch them or especially use them. That's why no one was chopping wood when the host that was suppose to left. (This applies to guns too since Delores couldn't target practice with Teddy's gun.) The producers also said that the hosts are programmed to help prevent guests from getting injured with other weapons. For example, if a guest tries to stab another guest (a host couldn't do this) then a host will go out of its way to prevent it (even though consciously it doesn't realize it) by stepping between them and taking the hit instead. I would have to assume a host will always miss a guest with a thrown weapon or bow. Obviously the programming is going bad though so these safety measures are going to stop working.

Merlin1958
10-21-2016, 07:41 AM
I read an interview with the producers and they said that the guns have sensors to tell them who (or what) they are aimed at. They fire real bullets at hosts or anything else but non-lethal rounds at humans, sort of like a paint ball that doesn't break. It hurts but won't kill you. It is also why the hosts can't aim at the guests' heads (as seen in the first episode when MIB aims Teddy's gun at his head). It might not kill them but would hurt them real bad. MIB has been shot so many times he just shrugs them off but as we have seen it stuns newcomers.

As for other weapons, they showed last week many of the hosts are programmed to not even touch them or especially use them. That's why no one was chopping wood when the host that was suppose to left. (This applies to guns too since Delores couldn't target practice with Teddy's gun.) The producers also said that the hosts are programmed to help prevent guests from getting injured with other weapons. For example, if a guest tries to stab another guest (a host couldn't do this) then a host will go out of its way to prevent it (even though consciously it doesn't realize it) by stepping between them and taking the hit instead. I would have to assume a host will always miss a guest with a thrown weapon or bow. Obviously the programming is going bad though so these safety measures are going to stop working.

Okay, I guess that makes sense. Though as you said the programming is "going bad" or there is a "ghost in the machine", which would also be in line with the original film. Though clearly there is more going on than the originals premise.

RUBE
10-21-2016, 07:46 AM

My theory on this is that someone messed with his programming on purpose. He couldn't kill the humans because that part of his programming was still intact so the only option it had to protect its secret was to destroy it's own processor (which we know is in the head because that is all the security guy wanted.)

Merlin1958
10-21-2016, 07:54 AM

My theory on this is that someone messed with his programming on purpose. He couldn't kill the humans because that part of his programming was still intact so the only option it had to protect its secret was to destroy it's own processor (which we know is in the head because that is all the security guy wanted.)

He may have been trying to meet his maker up in the stars/heavens.

There's a map here, but I think you have to register to view it.......................

https://www.discoverwestworld.com/#explore

If you register you're assigned a host to answer questions as well.

Randall Flagg
10-21-2016, 04:29 PM
It wouldn't ask some inquiries, but when asked "What would you like to do in Westworld?", I responded "get laid".

The response from the "bot" was:

AEDEN

What would you like to do in Westworld?
file:///C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.pngfile:///C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.png

YOU

Get laid

AEDEN

At Westworld, we guarantee to satiate your every wish. No sexual desire is too sinful or twisted, and we offer complete discretion.

AEDEN

Our hosts don’t kiss and tell, but you can. Want to know more?

Still Servant
10-21-2016, 04:48 PM

I like that. That would be cool. I'm adding that to the list of theories.

Very possible. What if it does take place on Earth, but on an Earth that has been turned into a wasteland. I still just think the environment is way too large. Something must be up with it.

Still Servant
10-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Westworld Theories

2. Bernard is an android
6. The show is messing with the timeline of events shown.

allasorte
10-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Westworld Theories

2. Bernard is an android

What if Jimmi Simpson, William, is the past Ed Harris? We do know from past shows, like Lost, the creator liked to jump around in time without telling the viewer. Maybe this is another one of those times.....
We have also seen the logo change of Westworld. Maybe this means something about time jumping without telling the viewer?

Merlin1958
10-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Westworld Theories

2. Bernard is an android

It's not a "virus", per se. They have gone to great extent to show it's more of a "ghost in the machine" programming glitch. The flys are due to the flesh/MRSA. Good thought, but I don't think you have it there.

Merlin1958
10-21-2016, 06:29 PM
It wouldn't ask some inquiries, but when asked "What would you like to do in Westworld?", I responded "get laid".

The response from the "bot" was:

AEDEN

What would you like to do in Westworld?
file:///C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.pngfile:///C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.png

YOU

Get laid

AEDEN

At Westworld, we guarantee to satiate your every wish. No sexual desire is too sinful or twisted, and we offer complete discretion.

AEDEN

Our hosts don’t kiss and tell, but you can. Want to know more?

Pervert!!! LOL

Still Servant
10-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Westworld Theories

2. Bernard is an android

It's not a "virus", per se. They have gone to great extent to show it's more of a "ghost in the machine" programming glitch. The flys are due to the flesh/MRSA. Good thought, but I don't think you have it there.

These aren't just my theories. It's a compilation of all our theories. That way we can go back and see if we were right or not.

T-Dogz_AK47
10-23-2016, 09:14 PM
I think that William and the Man in Black are the same person, thirty years apart.

Merlin1958
10-24-2016, 09:29 AM
Westworld Theories

2. Bernard is an android

These aren't just my theories. It's a compilation of all our theories. That way we can go back and see if we were right or not.

Just throwing it out there. No offense intended.

Still Servant
10-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Westworld Theories

2. Bernard is an android

And none taken.

I thought the line by the Man in Black was very telling last night. One of the guests clearly recognized him, but the Man in Black shut the guy down really quickly. Obviously, the Man in Black is well known out in the real world and he's filthy rich (he'd have to be to spend so much time in Westworld). Also, it seems as though he made his money in medicine.

Merlin1958
10-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Westworld Theories

2. Bernard is an android

And none taken.

I thought the line by the Man in Black was very telling last night. One of the guests clearly recognized him, but the Man in Black shut the guy down really quickly. Obviously, the Man in Black is well known out in the real world and he's filthy rich (he'd have to be to spend so much time in Westworld). Also, it seems as though he made his money in medicine.

Why medicine? I didn't catch that or your reference. I did get a whiff that he may have done business with Ford/Arnold as perhaps an investor/supplier/contractor. Nothing solid on my hunch just intuition.

Still Servant
10-24-2016, 07:08 PM
The guy says something along the lines of, " Sorry, sir. I don't want to intrude, but I'm such a fan of yours. Your foundation literally saved my sister's life." To which the Man in Black replies, "One more word and I'll cut your throat. This is my fucking vacation."

It's an interesting scene for a variety of reasons. One reason is something I hadn't really thought of prior to that scene and I don't think we've talked about it yet. We know the hosts can't kill the guests and that the guests can pretty much do whatever they want to the hosts, but there's literally no way of stopping a guest from murdering another guest. In fact, you might not even know who a guest is and who a host is. If you grab a blunt object, you can pretty much kill anything - host or guest alike.

Merlin1958
10-24-2016, 07:14 PM
The guy says something along the lines of, " Sorry, sir. I don't want to intrude, but I'm such a fan of yours. Your foundation literally saved my sister's life." To which the Man in Black replies, "One more word and I'll cut your throat. This is my fucking vacation."

It's an interesting scene for a variety of reasons. One reason is something I hadn't really thought of prior to that scene and I don't think we've talked about it yet. We know the hosts can't kill the guests and that the guests can pretty much do whatever they want to the hosts, but there's literally no way of stopping a guest from murdering another guest. In fact, you might not even know who a guest is and who a host is. If you grab a blunt object, you can pretty much kill anything - host or guest alike.

I think you should see the weapons explanations given above.

Randall Flagg
10-25-2016, 04:28 AM

It's an interesting scene for a variety of reasons. One reason is something I hadn't really thought of prior to that scene and I don't think we've talked about it yet.

I agree. I caught it right away.

fernandito
10-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Yes, MIB telling that guy to shut up before he revealed his identity has HUGE implications. Who could he be? Arnold? A rival hoping to gain Ford's fountain of knowledge? Interesting..

Merlin1958
10-25-2016, 12:51 PM

I caught that but didn't associate it with medicine, just that he was rich. Good point though.

Yes, guests could kill other guests I would think.

T-Dogz_AK47
10-26-2016, 06:06 AM
Check this out! There are some interesting terms and conditions listed, when you book your vacation on the Westworld website... :cowboy:

Statistically speaking, you are more likely to die from lightning strike than to die while in a Delos park. However, the following causes of accidental death have occurred within the Delos Destinations compound: buffalo stampede, self-cannibalism, accidental hanging, drowning, 3rd-degree burns, autoerotic asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, allergic reaction to non-native plant life, falling from great heights, spousal jealousy, common manslaughter, tumbleweeds. You absolve Delos, Inc. of any wrongdoing if you or anyone in your party suffers bodily harm while using The Service, and you agree to not sue or prosecute Delos, Inc. or any of the smaller entities falling under the Delos Corporation.

By entering the Delos Destinations Port of Entry, you acknowledge that Delos, Inc. controls the rights to and remains the sole owner of, in perpetuity: all skin cells, bodily fluids, secretions, excretions, hair samples, saliva, sweat, blood, and any other bodily functions not listed here. Delos, Inc. reserves the right to use this property in any way, shape, or form in which the entity sees fit.

https://discoverwestworld.com (https://discoverwestworld.com)

Randall Flagg
10-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Those are worse terms than I had with my first wife...

Merlin1958
10-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Check this out! There are some interesting terms and conditions listed, when you book your vacation on the Westworld website... :cowboy:

Statistically speaking, you are more likely to die from lightning strike than to die while in a Delos park. However, the following causes of accidental death have occurred within the Delos Destinations compound: buffalo stampede, self-cannibalism, accidental hanging, drowning, 3rd-degree burns, autoerotic asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, allergic reaction to non-native plant life, falling from great heights, spousal jealousy, common manslaughter, tumbleweeds. You absolve Delos, Inc. of any wrongdoing if you or anyone in your party suffers bodily harm while using The Service, and you agree to not sue or prosecute Delos, Inc. or any of the smaller entities falling under the Delos Corporation.

By entering the Delos Destinations Port of Entry, you acknowledge that Delos, Inc. controls the rights to and remains the sole owner of, in perpetuity: all skin cells, bodily fluids, secretions, excretions, hair samples, saliva, sweat, blood, and any other bodily functions not listed here. Delos, Inc. reserves the right to use this property in any way, shape, or form in which the entity sees fit.

Hmmmm, the hosts are clones perhaps?

Geomon
10-30-2016, 08:27 PM

Self-Cannibalism? Geez...

Shannon
10-31-2016, 12:46 AM
Man, and here I thought my theory was going to be original.

William is Ed Harris thirty years prior. That's why Ed Harris has such a connection to Dolores and Laurence, because he had a connection to them as William. Ed Harris also has a connection to his signature clothing style. Who else wears all black in the "flashback timeline? His friend/brother-in-law.

Two more things: One, we never see the head of security/overwatch team watching the William/young cowboys timeline, only the future/Ed Harris timeline. And two, the younger versions work for a big corporation, where William is VP. Ed Harris was later thanked for his life saving work through his corporation.

Sign it, seal it, deliver it.

fernandito
10-31-2016, 08:14 AM
What do we make of that conversation MIB and Robert had yesterday? Also, did anyone notice that Dr. Ford never once refers to Harris by name?

I'm not sold on the William is Harris 30 years prior theory. Something just doesn't add up there..

I think Dolores will be the one to reach the maze and will set off a chain of events that will shape the series going forward.

Merlin1958
10-31-2016, 08:27 AM
MIB is the original financier of Ford's world perhaps?

allasorte
10-31-2016, 01:07 PM
What do we make of that conversation MIB and Robert had yesterday? Also, did anyone notice that Dr. Ford never once refers to Harris by name?

I'm not sold on the William is Harris 30 years prior theory. Something just doesn't add up there..

I think Dolores will be the one to reach the maze and will set off a chain of events that will shape the series going forward.

Shape it into what is my big question. I'm curious if the end of the maze will have a choice. A choice as an AI to not only become self-aware but also to become human. Or being human like, say MIB, and to become an AI. To immortalize ones self. Perhaps that was Arnold's plan? I thought that at first until Dolores mentioned to Hopkins as to what Arnold wanted her to do to the park. I have read that this series was thought and planned for a 5-6 year series if it got wings. I feel, for how amazingly well it is done, it will get there.

Bev Vincent
10-31-2016, 01:19 PM
The little boy acts as if he's a help avatar, appearing when needed to assist.

Merlin1958
10-31-2016, 01:27 PM
The little boy acts as if he's a help avatar, appearing when needed to assist.

Yeah, I get that impression as well. Wild theory here, MIB may be what, Arnold envisioned himself to be in the world. That's to your point, Allasorte. I think maybe the center of the maze leads to the corporate complex? Arnold may well have been making the hosts to literally host his conciousness?

Still Servant
11-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Man, and here I thought my theory was going to be original.

William is Ed Harris thirty years prior. That's why Ed Harris has such a connection to Dolores and Laurence, because he had a connection to them as William. Ed Harris also has a connection to his signature clothing style. Who else wears all black in the "flashback timeline? His friend/brother-in-law.

Two more things: One, we never see the head of security/overwatch team watching the William/young cowboys timeline, only the future/Ed Harris timeline. And two, the younger versions work for a big corporation, where William is VP. Ed Harris was later thanked for his life saving work through his corporation.

Sign it, seal it, deliver it.

I'm starting to think you hit the nail on the head there.

fernandito
11-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Someone else pointed out the significance of William choosing a white hat when he first arrives in West World. In this theory he would presumably don the black garb and hat after witnessing or committing something terribly fucked up.

Ok, this is how I think it will play out; Young William and Dolores will find the center of the maze together. A confrontation occurs and Ford is forced to use violence against both of them (perhaps he has a couple of androids strong arm them). Dolores is gravely 'wounded', shut down, has her memory wiped and Young William is forced to retreat. This would tie in with Ford's comments that he and Dolores "are not friends at all".

Still Servant
11-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Someone else pointed out the significance of William choosing a white hat when he first arrives in West World. In this theory he would presumably don the black garb and hat after witnessing or committing something terribly fucked up.

Ok, this is how I think it will play out; Young William and Dolores will find the center of the maze together. A confrontation occurs and Ford is forced to use violence against both of them (perhaps he has a couple of androids strong arm them). Dolores is gravely 'wounded', shut down, has her memory wiped and Young William is forced to retreat. This would tie in with Ford's comments that he and Dolores "are not friends at all".

I could see that. That would be pretty cool. What is the purpose of The Man in Black in present day then though? Is he trying to get back to the center of the maze?

Merlin1958
11-04-2016, 10:12 AM

I could see that. That would be pretty cool. What is the purpose of The Man in Black in present day then though? Is he trying to get back to the center of the maze?

This may very well become truth, but I'd like to point out something everyone seems to have missed. I don't think the hosts are truly "androids" at all. Something seriously strange is going on with them and may end up being the key to the entire mystery. They have "flesh"!!!! We have yet to see any interior mechanics of any kind except in the flash back scene. In fact, they appear to be surgically "repaired". Also there is the fly's and the MRSR (Medically resistant Staph). Even the opening cradits are misleading as there are no servo's and they appear to be constructed of some new plastic of some kind. Yet, they bleed and are replenished with blood.

I may be dead worng, but it seems to me there is a lot more to them (physically) than we think at this time.

Shannon
11-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Great point, Mr. Bill.

Shannon
11-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Great episode. Thandie was fucking great.

Still Servant
11-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Has anybody been wondering about the "downstairs"? I know we've seen it a few times, but I'm starting to wonder why it looks completely abandoned.

Merlin1958
11-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Has anybody been wondering about the "downstairs"? I know we've seen it a few times, but I'm starting to wonder why it looks completely abandoned.

Yeah. However, other than the "smell" indicating dedaying tissue due to the fridge on the fritz we haven't had much else to go on. Does appear that the park is built much like "Disney World" with underground tunnel access.

Still Servant
11-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Great episode. Thandie was fucking great.

She's been amazing. Very vulnerable, stripped (literally) down performance, yet powerful.

Merlin1958
11-09-2016, 06:36 PM
This show has me up nights wondering. Much as "Lost" did, but I think the creators have an end game in this case and are not making it up as they go as "Lost" did.

allasorte
11-09-2016, 06:44 PM
This show has me up nights wondering. Much as "Lost" did, but I think the creators have an end game in this case and are not making it up as they go as "Lost" did.

Correct. I read they have a 5-6 year plan already created.
This show is a rare one for me. It is on my mind an re-watched like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad and Penny Dreadful. It is on my mind!

Merlin1958
11-09-2016, 06:54 PM

Correct. I read they have a 5-6 year plan already created.
This show is a rare one for me. It is on my mind an re-watched like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad and Penny Dreadful. It is on my mind!

I'm with you on this!!! LOL

Shannon
11-09-2016, 11:07 PM

DON'T YOU TALK BAD ABOUT LOST!

Shannon
11-09-2016, 11:10 PM
But seriously, if this show stays as consistent as it has been, it's easily ending up in my Top 15 TV Show list, maybe even in the Top 5. Right now my Top 5 would have to be Lost, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and Spartacus. This will probably replace Nip/Tuck on my list when it's all said and done.

Randall Flagg
11-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Looks like my prediction that the young boy is DR. Ford as a boy is correct. I believe the slightly older boy is Arnold-Thus Ford and Arnold are brothers.

Bev Vincent
11-14-2016, 11:36 AM
I did not see THAT coming

Randall Flagg
11-14-2016, 01:24 PM
I did not see THAT coming
I didn't see it coming the way it did, but I had guessed that one of the two might have been a host.
I loved the scene where Theresa was summoned to the room of one of the corporate big wigs room.

Bev Vincent
11-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Do we think that Ford is preparing a replacement?

I also loved Maeve's monologue: I've died a million times -- I'm effing great at it.

fernandito
11-14-2016, 01:46 PM

Theories
2. Bernard is an android
Called it! :D

And last night cemented the William=MiB for me.

It wasn't anything overt, but a throwaway line William uttered as he and Dolores were having a conversation in the train, "I can't stay here forever". It's those small, seemingly inconsequential lines that end up having the most significance.

Also, who do we think kidnapped Elise from the ep 2 weeks ago? Definitely male, and definitely someone bigger and stronger than her.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2016, 02:22 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ford was "constructing" Theresa's replacement as she was being sacrificed. It seems too early to drop her from the show.

Bev Vincent
11-14-2016, 02:25 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ford was "constructing" Theresa's replacement as she was being sacrificed. It seems too early to drop her from the show.

I like the actress -- she was in a Danish series called Borgen that I watched a while back, where she played the prime minister. And she was just in the new Tom Hanks movie, Inferno.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2016, 02:52 PM
I loved her acting.
BTW, it wasn't a prediction, just a thought. It probably would be less fun if the audience knew that going forward Theresa and Bernard are both "hosts" at Ford's disposal.

T-Dogz_AK47
11-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Bernard is more than just an android, I think he is also the consciousness of "Arnold".

The Hosts talk to an "Arnold" in their head when they begin to malfunction, just as we hear Bernard's voice in Dolores's head as she goes in and out of active programming.

When the malfunctioning Peter Abernathy expresses his desire to 'meet [his] maker,' Ford turns to Bernard and says "You're in luck." Ford and Arnold are the original makers of the Hosts.

Peter Abernathy also claims that Bernard and Ford are "in a prison of your own sins," which could be a nod to Arnold's consciousness literally being contained in a Host that he created.

The name Bernard Lowe is an anagram of Arnold Weber.

Take that shit to the bank! :cowboy:

T-Dogz_AK47
11-14-2016, 04:55 PM
I also think that Ford is a host, and that he is the centre of the maze.

Consider Teddy Flood’s explanation of the Maze:

“The Maze is an old Native myth. The Maze itself is the sum of a man’s life. The choices he makes, the dreams he hangs onto. And there at the centre there’s a legendary man who had been killed over and over again countless times. But always clawed his way back to life. The man returned for a last time to vanquish all his oppressors in a tireless fury. Built a house and around that house he built a maze so complicated only he could navigate through it. I reckon he’s seen enough fighting.”

Ford quite literally has a secret house hidden within the park.

Ford is the "centre" of the Westworld business. It’s possible the centre of the maze and its mystery is a "person" and not a location.

Now consider the following quote from the 1973 movie:

"We aren't dealing with ordinary machines here. These are highly complicated pieces of equipment. Almost as complicated as living organisms. In some cases, they have been designed by other computers. We don't know exactly how they work."

In a nod to this quote, I think the hosts are designed by computers and that Ford, along with his entire engineering crew are all androids.

Lick it and smoke it! :cool:

Randall Flagg
11-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Nope.
The house was built for Ford by Andy.
Andy is Ford's older brother. They created this game/maze together. Somewhere/somehow there was a split between the brothers, and so far it seems only Ford exits.
William IS NOT the MIB.
He wouldn't have been there all these years, and continued to rape Dolores.

Still Servant
11-14-2016, 06:44 PM

Theories
2. Bernard is an android

It wasn't anything overt, but a throwaway line William uttered as he and Dolores were having a conversation in the train, "I can't stay here forever". It's those small, seemingly inconsequential lines that end up having the most significance.

Also, who do we think kidnapped Elise from the ep 2 weeks ago? Definitely male, and definitely someone bigger and stronger than her.

Indeed. Kudos. I thought of you last night while that scene was playing out.

Shannon
11-14-2016, 10:18 PM
What if he wasn't raping Dolores? What if ALL this stuff Ed Harris was doing ... is because he loves Dolores so much and wants to set her "free"? Free as in ... the light at the end of the tunnel/whatever is at the end of the maze/turning hosts real.

Merlin1958
11-15-2016, 05:32 AM

Theories
2. Bernard is an android

Indeed. Kudos. I thought of you last night while that scene was playing out.

Okay, I'll kick one in as well........

The hosts are restricted from leaving the park due to some genetic deficiency (ala the Dino's in Jurrasic Park)

I also agree with RF and T-dogz, I believe we are onto something along those lines. At this stage I think that, Arnold is a "Ghost in the Machine" as in he managed to transfer his conciousness into the system. Thereby achieving a form of immortality. That, and the fact that "replacements" could and would be a very valuable asset to "corporate" are the "much higher interest/end game" in the park. You'd be able to murder anyone and just replace them with no one being the wiser.

Ford may very well have already found/perfected a way to transfer his conscience into a host entity. That is also what MIB is seeking at the center of the maze. MIB, Ford and Arnold were all partners in the beginning of some sort. MIB the money guy, Ford and Arnold the "Tech" duo. They had a sort of falling out, parting of the ways along the way.

One thing I do keep recalling is MIB stating this was his last trip to the park and he wasn't leaving.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/76727

T-Dogz_AK47
11-20-2016, 05:13 AM
I also think that Ford is a host, and that he is the centre of the maze.

Consider Teddy Flood’s explanation of the Maze:

“The Maze is an old Native myth. The Maze itself is the sum of a man’s life. The choices he makes, the dreams he hangs onto. And there at the centre there’s a legendary man who had been killed over and over again countless times. But always clawed his way back to life. The man returned for a last time to vanquish all his oppressors in a tireless fury. Built a house and around that house he built a maze so complicated only he could navigate through it. I reckon he’s seen enough fighting.”

Ford quite literally has a secret house hidden within the park.

Ford is the "centre" of the Westworld business. It’s possible the centre of the maze and its mystery is a "person" and not a location.

Now consider the following quote from the 1973 movie:

"We aren't dealing with ordinary machines here. These are highly complicated pieces of equipment. Almost as complicated as living organisms. In some cases, they have been designed by other computers. We don't know exactly how they work."

In a nod to this quote, I think the hosts are designed by computers and that Ford, along with his entire engineering crew are all androids.

Lick it and smoke it! :cool:

Further to this, I believe that Ford ("by his most mechanical and dirty hand") is murdering guests and replacing them as clones rather like the plot in Futureworld (the sequel to the 1973 original Westworld).

I do not think it a coincidence that a picture of a mechanical hand was seen juxtaposed next to Ford's own hand when he is holding a picture of the maze. It is also not a coincidence that Ford was playing the piano in the scene where he meets the Man in Black, in the same fashion as we see the android playing the piano in the opening credits. Ford is a robot who is playing "God" by creating androids in his own image....

With this in mind, I think that the blueprint and android that Theresa saw being created in Ford's secret underground laboratory before Bernard killed her, was her own clone, which is why she called Ford "a monster" and Ford replied that a "blood sacrifice" was required. I am predicting that Theresa will return in a future episode as a host.

This would explain why ford had previously said that the park allows guests "a glimpse of of who they could become" and also explains why Hector and Logan look so similar. I think that Hector is a clone of Logan.

Remember the terms and conditions from the Delos website I previously posted....

"By entering the Delos Destinations Port of Entry, you acknowledge that Delos, Inc. controls the rights to and remains the sole owner of, in perpetuity: all skin cells, bodily fluids, secretions, excretions, hair samples, saliva, sweat, blood, and any other bodily functions not listed here. Delos, Inc. reserves the right to use this property in any way, shape, or form in which the entity sees fit."

On the subject of Logan, what if his name is a deliberate allusion to another great Sci-fi film: Logan's Run....

In the year 2274, the remnants of human civilization live in a sealed city contained beneath a cluster of geodesic domes, a utopia run by a computer that takes care of all aspects of their life, including reproduction. The citizens live a hedonistic life but, to maintain the city, everyone must undergo the ritual of Carrousel when they reach the age of 30. There, they are vaporized and ostensibly "renewed".

Deeper into the rabbit hole we go.... :ninja:

T-Dogz_AK47
11-21-2016, 11:27 AM
If my theory that William = the Man in Black is correct, then what you have here is Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Unless of course, everything goes to ratshit for them both. In that eventuality, the show will become Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. LOL! LOL! :cowboy:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/7262de12-dcc9-4305-b90a-9711cbb969da_zpsqankbnga.jpg

Merlin1958
11-21-2016, 01:07 PM
That was some episode last night!!!! Series seems to be building nicely to a great season finale. BTW, I took the opportunity to watch the original film the other day. Of course, it's very dated but it was an interesting refresher. Give it a go.

T-Dogz_AK47
11-21-2016, 03:02 PM
That was some episode last night!!!! Series seems to be building nicely to a great season finale. BTW, I took the opportunity to watch the original film the other day. Of course, it's very dated but it was an interesting refresher. Give it a go.

Talking of the original movie version of Westworld, did anybody else spot the Yul Brynner Gunslinger robot, when Bernard is investigating the area "downstairs" during episode six? :ninja:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/e721a5c9-4fea-4d5b-a101-fcac01f74ee5_zpstlhxkige.png

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/Westworld%201973%20Gunslinger_zpsxnhfmxfw.jpeg

Merlin1958
11-21-2016, 03:04 PM
yeah, it's funny but he played "The Gunslinger" just like the "King and I" character", no? lol lol

Still Servant
11-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I caught that. I thought that was pretty cool. Did you know that Yul Brynner wore the same costume from The Magnificent Seven in Westworld? I always thought it was meant to look similar, but I had no idea it was the exact same costume. I always that thought was pretty cool too.

Still Servant
11-22-2016, 06:14 PM
I just wanted to say how awesome it was to get not one but two old timey versions of two of my favorite songs - The Animals "House of the Rising Sun" and Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black".

Good stuff.

Merlin1958
11-23-2016, 07:18 AM
That's the first time the player piano has played a different tune, right?

RUBE
11-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Actually I think it has been a different song each week. The heist music is normally the same but the other times it rotates.

T-Dogz_AK47
11-26-2016, 05:02 PM
I just wanted to say how awesome it was to get not one but two old timey versions of two of my favorite songs - The Animals "House of the Rising Sun" and Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black".

Good stuff.

Both of those songs are extremely apt for the scenes in which they appear....

House of the Rising Son has lyrics about a brothel in New Orleans - Maeve's backstory involves her travelling from the UK to New Orleans only to fall into a life of prostitution.

Amy Winehouse's Back to Black also has lyrics that match Maeve perfectly:

"We only said goodbye with words, I died a hundred times
You go back to her, and I go back to black."

Maeve has literally been killed hundreds of times.

P.S. The quote in your signature "These Violent Delights Have Violent Ends" is originally from William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

These violent delights have violent ends.
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume: the sweetest honey.
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness,
And in the taste confounds the appetite.
- Romeo and Juliet Act 2 Scene 6

It should be noted that William's fiancée outside of Westworld, is named 'Juliet'. :ninja:

Still Servant
11-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Yup, I thought Back to Black was especially perfect for Maeve's story. Good stuff.

allasorte
11-28-2016, 03:13 PM
I see an HBO trend. Game of Thrones episode 9's are usually a "wow" episode where something very dreadful and significant happens. This thus far is the case with Westworld. Great episode but. if what happened has happened, then I'm disappointed with a specific event/character death. Trying not to spoil it.

Still Servant
11-28-2016, 04:41 PM
I see an HBO trend. Game of Thrones episode 9's are usually a "wow" episode where something very dreadful and significant happens. This thus far is the case with Westworld. Great episode but. if what happened has happened, then I'm disappointed with a specific event/character death. Trying not to spoil it.

I think I know who you're talking about and I agree. Mainly since I've loved her since Firefly.

Boy, did they throw a lot at us last night. I may have to watch that episode again. Westworld is a tough show to consume at midnight.

allasorte
11-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Yes her Mike but I'm going to really miss the guy more :(.

T-Dogz_AK47
11-28-2016, 10:39 PM
Bernard is more than just an android, I think he is also the consciousness of "Arnold".

The Hosts talk to an "Arnold" in their head when they begin to malfunction, just as we hear Bernard's voice in Dolores's head as she goes in and out of active programming.

When the malfunctioning Peter Abernathy expresses his desire to 'meet [his] maker,' Ford turns to Bernard and says "You're in luck." Ford and Arnold are the original makers of the Hosts.

Peter Abernathy also claims that Bernard and Ford are "in a prison of your own sins," which could be a nod to Arnold's consciousness literally being contained in a Host that he created.

The name Bernard Lowe is an anagram of Arnold Weber.

Take that shit to the bank! :cowboy:

I hope you guys took that shit to the bank! LOL! :D

Merlin1958
11-29-2016, 08:50 AM
You guys may find this interesting................

https://theringer.com/are-the-twists-on-westworld-still-twists-if-we-saw-them-coming-8606f0535852#.cajgc6urj

Randall Flagg
12-04-2016, 11:10 AM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/76c8c51a0c360ec1e27db07b09d51621/tumblr_ohn1ebbyk91tbpquno1_500.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
12-04-2016, 11:29 AM
It doesn't look like anything to me.... :ninja:

Still Servant
12-04-2016, 12:36 PM

I see what you did there.

:cool:

T-Dogz_AK47
12-04-2016, 10:20 PM

I see what you did there.

:cool:

ANALYSIS

What prompted that response?

Shannon
12-04-2016, 11:46 PM
... Firefly?

fernandito
12-05-2016, 09:15 AM
What a mf great finale!

I don't think anyone saw the 'Ford was actually carrying out Arnold's plan all along' twist coming. Glad Nolan was still able to surprise us.

Maeve finally making a decision against her programming was a great moment. Ford set it up for her to deviate from her branch, but the choice still had to be hers.

Old William smiling as the droids descended upon the party was great.

Merlin1958
12-05-2016, 10:19 AM
What a mf great finale!

I don't think anyone saw the 'Ford was actually carrying out Arnold's plan all along' twist coming. Glad Nolan was still able to surprise us.

Maeve finally making a decision against her programming was a great moment. Ford set it up for her to deviate from her branch, but the choice still had to be hers.

I don't think Ford was following Arnold's plan really. He is just setting them free, but I don't believe he is quite done yet. I wager we will see, Ford again in some form. Fucking amazing season finale!!!

fernandito
12-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Let me rephrase; he's carrying out Arnold's plan, but he's using a different methodology.

I think it was his suicide-by-Dolores that convinced him that Arnold was right all along.

Merlin1958
12-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Do you think he intends to replace the BOD with Hosts? I'm very curious to see how this will all play out once the proverbial cat is out of the bag with the real world. BTW there were/are some cool nods to the original movie happening as well. Also, I believe there are at least two other "Worlds" out there. Medeval and Roman, perhaps.

Did anyone notice that the P.A. announcer in the terminal only "welcomed" folks in English and Chinese?

Also, we don't really know if, Maeve is now making decisions on her own now do we. For all we know her getting off the train was, Ford's plan. i think I read somewhere that, Nolan has an arc designed to go 5-6 seasons. So, one would think that the show will slow down again and consolidate especially in order to deal with the outside world. I would think that there has to be a plan to keep the outside world out until they are ready to move out of the park and into the real world so to speak. I mean, they just slaughtered the BOD and presumably the Chairman. Although, given his preference for a deeper game, he may be spared for a bit going forward to help maintain appearances.

fernandito
12-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Do you think he intends to replace the BOD with Hosts? I'm very curious to see how this will all play out once the proverbial cat is out of the bag with the real world...
Good question. I like that his ultimate goal is still shrouded in mystery. One thing is for sure though, he wants the Hosts to rise up and take charge of their destinies.

BTW there were/are some cool nods to the original movie happening as well. Also, I believe there are at least two other "Worlds" out there. Medeval and Roman, perhaps. Don't forger Samurai World!

Also, we don't really know if, Maeve is now making decisions on her own now do we. For all we know her getting off the train was, Ford's plan.
The way I interpreted the scene was: Ford's intention all along was to put Maeve in a position where should we have to 'choose' for herself. His code had her leaving the park altogether, but she chose to stay behind and seek out her daughter, thus finally achieving the independence she so desperately craved.

i think I read somewhere that, Nolan has an arc designed to go 5-6 seasons. So, one would think that the show will slow down again and consolidate especially in order to deal with the outside world. I would think that there has to be a plan to keep the outside world out until they are ready to move out of the park and into the real world so to speak. I mean, they just slaughtered the BOD and presumably the Chairman. Although, given his preference for a deeper game, he may be spared for a bit going forward to help maintain appearances.

That's what's so great about the show, so many different directions they can go in Season 2.

Sucks we'll have to wait one more year tho :(

Still Servant
12-05-2016, 05:10 PM
I honestly can't put into words how amazing that finale was. Unbelievable. This entire season as a whole has worked on so many levels.

That's what's so great about the show, so many different directions they can go in Season 2.

That's where I'd like to start. Before the season started, we were discussing where the show could go potentially. Without knowing the format, it was kind of hard to say. At first I argued that the show had limitless possibilities. If you wanted to completely reboot in season 2 with showing a new park, you could do that.

While I still think we will eventually see other parks, I certainly don't think that's the direction they will go in. A season 2 format like that would be pretty much a carbon copy of season 1, minus the philosophical questions, because we would have already been there done that.

The problem is, that's what set this show apart from just being a normal show for me. The philosophical nature of the show was way more than I was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised to literally start pondering certain aspects of this world throughout the day.

So, at the risk of being a Debbie Downer, I don't see anyway they can possibly top season 1.

I fucking loved that scene. Ed Harris is a legend. The whole cast in general was fantastic.

I'm with Old William. What's the fun in playing the game if it's rigged? I'd want it to be an even playing field too. What a fucking rush that would be.

That said, I'm not sure how that would work in the real world. I'm pretty sure people would frown upon that kind of activity.

Don't forgert Samurai World!

I loved that line:

"What is this."
"It's complicated."

I can't wait to spend time in some of these other worlds.

Randall Flagg
12-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Hated it.

But loved it.

Too many loops that will become tedious.

I wanted to enjoy the pursuit of the maze. I don't have 35+ years to explore/enjoy the HBO story arc.

Still Servant
12-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Hated it.

But loved it.

I wanted to enjoy the pursuit of the maze. I don't have 35+ years to explore/enjoy the HBO story arc.

Do you have 5-6 because the creators already said it's ending after that. Anyway, I made this to cope.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5691/31305070712_42913b7e4f_b.jpg

Shannon
12-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Liked it, didn't love it. Obviously I knew the "reveal" would be coming, as I called it a WHILE ago, so it fell a little flat for me. Didn't figure on Maeve's revolt to be programming, that was nice. The "Wyant" reveal was meh, along with her "talking to myself, woot woot!" scene. And dammit, I was really expecting a massacre at the end. I wanted limbs being pulled off, droids raping the guests, just pure mayhem. But ... that's didn't happen. Oh well, a 3.5 out of 5 for me. Still a great show though.

T-Dogz_AK47
12-06-2016, 01:44 AM
Liked it, didn't love it. Obviously I knew the "reveal" would be coming, as I called it a WHILE ago, so it fell a little flat for me.

If you're referring to the MIB reveal, you "called" it a week after my post.... LOL! :lol: :rolleyes:

I think that William and the Man in Black are the same person, thirty years apart.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20494-WestWorld-on-HBO-*Spoilers!*&p=1028560&viewfull=1#post1028560 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20494-WestWorld-on-HBO-*Spoilers!*&p=1028560&viewfull=1#post1028560)

RUBE
12-06-2016, 05:13 AM
That was a great season finale. I wanted to watch it again almost immediately. I am surprised that no one has brought up how much fun it was to watch Hector and Armistice (I think that's her name) realize they could actually fight back and that there were even better weapons out there.

Still Servant
12-06-2016, 07:02 AM
Liked it, didn't love it. Obviously I knew the "reveal" would be coming, as I called it a WHILE ago, so it fell a little flat for me.

If you're referring to the MIB reveal, you "called" it a week after my post.... LOL! :lol: :rolleyes:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20494-WestWorld-on-HBO-*Spoilers!*&p=1028560&viewfull=1#post1028560 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20494-WestWorld-on-HBO-*Spoilers!*&p=1028560&viewfull=1#post1028560)

To be fair, Allasorte called it 3 days before you did.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20494-WestWorld-on-HBO-*Spoilers!*&p=1028395&viewfull=1#post1028395

That was a great season finale. I wanted to watch it again almost immediately. I am surprised that no one has brought up how much fun it was to watch Hector and Armistice (I think that's her name) realize they could actually fight back and that there were even better weapons out there.

Loved that! I wanted to mention that but forgot. Their childlike wonder as they were blowing people away was pretty funny, but chilling at the same time.

Merlin1958
12-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Word of advice, go back and watch the original film. They are paying homage to that storyline, but taking that to a whole new level. There will definitely be other worlds as the system breaks down. That scene in the control room where the power goes out is just like the one in the film. Now I know the original is dated and cheesy by todays standards, but I think you can get a real idea about where they are going and how they are ramping up the story.

fernandito
12-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Hated it.

But loved it.

They'll probably cap it off at 6 or 7 seasons. Seems to be the sweet spot for shows with legitimate creative ambitions.

Armistice's reaction when she fires that AUG-looking automatic weapon was priceless.

Still Servant
12-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Word of advice, go back and watch the original film. They are paying homage to that storyline, but taking that to a whole new level. There will definitely be other worlds as the system breaks down. That scene in the control room where the power goes out is just like the one in the film. Now I know the original is dated and cheesy by todays standards, but I think you can get a real idea about where they are going and how they are ramping up the story.

I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I remember the original film pretty well. I saw it about 5 years ago. I'm currently trying to get it on DVD or lasersdisc. I've mentioned it here numerous times how we get to see the other parks in the film, but that I didn't expect them to show that in season 1.

Merlin1958
12-06-2016, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I remember the original film pretty well. I saw it about 5 years ago. I'm currently trying to get it on DVD or lasersdisc. I've mentioned it here numerous times how we get to see the other parks in the film, but that I didn't expect them to show that in season 1.

Well, actually there were two references to the other parks in Season 1 IMHO. The party that attacked Teddy and MIB (Wyatt's posse. Actually there was a scene prior to that with just, Teddy) and the "Samurai" hosts, which I think may actually be the Mediveal themed park though slanted for the Oriental. If you noticed the P.A. Announcer at the visitor center only spoke Chinese and English. There had to be a reason for this as one would assume that in our world the park would have global appeal warranting multiple languages rather than just two.

The 'Wyatt Group" that attacked Teddy twice appeared to be "Vikings/Knights" of some sort. He encountered them in a group comprised of the sherriff, a guest or two and some other hosts. The result was he got tied to the tree. And the second time (w/MIB) they really appeared to clearly be "Vikings" of some sort.

Bev Vincent
12-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Armistice's reaction when she fires that AUG-looking automatic weapon was priceless.

I loved that, too!

An interesting bit of trivia -- they used Steadicam throughout whenever the hosts were following instructions, but switched to handheld cameras at they end whenever they were operating on their own initiative.

wolfehr
12-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Saw an article online called The Ultimate Post-Westworld Reading List. The Gunslinger made the list :)

https://www.inverse.com/article/24700-ultimate-westworld-reading-list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heather19
12-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Finally got caught up. I can't believe it's over all ready. Feels like it just started. I really enjoyed the finale. I might go back and rewatch them all now because I feel like there's still stuff I missed.

An interesting bit of trivia -- they used Steadicam throughout whenever the hosts were following instructions, but switched to handheld cameras at they end whenever they were operating on their own initiative.

Oh wow, that's really interesting. I didn't even pick up on that.

Merlin1958
12-06-2016, 07:53 PM
This is JMHO, but I think we are in for a wild ride going forward. They have really taken the original film concept to a whole nother level!!!!

allasorte
12-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Based upon what it would cost to make a new set for other parks, I feel we are going to only deal with Westworld and perhaps the real world only. I have no problem with this. I heard this show costs a lot but unsure on the cost per episode. I know GOT costs from 6-10 million per episode. I'm rooting for 5 solid Westworld seasons. With the creators stating 5-6 year plan, to me that sounds like a 6th season might be too much to prolong the story.

I loved the show and it is/was rare for me to re-watch something. This fits my style of show that makes me think and makes me love. Dark, great characters and character development, thinking plots, what ifs story lines, and endless future possibilities. I'm curious what Ford had in store. I'm also curious if he is fulfilling a Dr. Frankenstein type role or if he is like the Wizard of Oz. I'm hoping for the wizard because I loved his character and all his secrets. He was hard to read and I cannot see Ford not being a part of the ongoing story.

Merlin1958
12-06-2016, 08:40 PM

Based upon what it would cost to make a new set for other parks, I feel we are going to only deal with Westworld and perhaps the real world only. I have no problem with this. I heard this show costs a lot but unsure on the cost per episode. I know GOT costs from 6-10 million per episode. I'm rooting for 5 solid Westworld seasons. With the creators stating 5-6 year plan, to me that sounds like a 6th season might be too much to prolong the story.

I loved the show and it is/was rare for me to re-watch something. This fits my style of show that makes me think and makes me love. Dark, great characters and character development, thinking plots, what ifs story lines, and endless future possibilities. I'm curious what Ford had in store. I'm also curious if he is fulfilling a Dr. Frankenstein type role or if he is like the Wizard of Oz. I'm hoping for the wizard because I loved his character and all his secrets. He was hard to read and I cannot see Ford not being a part of the ongoing story.

To me, they seem to be earnestly paying homage to the original as they go. As I believe I stated, the scene in the control room was right out of the original film. Having said that the original film had the same "Western" character traversing the other "worlds". It would not be a stretch to do the opposite and refer to the other worlds, but have them intrude upon "Westworld". Something was definitely "up" with "Wyatt's Crew". I re-watched those scenes several times and those were not "Western Characters", IMHO. I think the writers respect the original material more than the average viewer may think, but of course that's just my opinion and view point.

I'm going on record here as saying, Dr.Ford is not "done" in some physical sense. That means that he is either now a host, or a host died in his place. He is after all the "God of Westworld" and won't pass gently into that good night, IMHO. As the Zen master says, "We shall see".

Still Servant
12-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Finally got caught up. I can't believe it's over all ready. Feels like it just started. I really enjoyed the finale. I might go back and rewatch them all now because I feel like there's still stuff I missed.

I felt the same way. I'm not sure why, but Westworld seemed like it flew by more than any other show I can remember.

I would love to go back and watch the whole season again. Not just because I enjoyed it, but so I can catch more stuff. Unfortunately, I'm rarely able to fit it in. I've been meaning to do a Lost rewatch for years, but it never happens.

Maybe when I retire. I know a lot of retired people and they're always like, "I'm so bored. There's nothing to do." I'm like, are you fucking kidding? I could fill every moment of the day with TV, movies, video games and books.

allasorte
12-09-2016, 05:36 PM

I felt the same way. I'm not sure why, but Westworld seemed like it flew by more than any other show I can remember.

I would love to go back and watch the whole season again. Not just because I enjoyed it, but so I can catch more stuff. Unfortunately, I'm rarely able to fit it in. I've been meaning to do a Lost rewatch for years, but it never happens.

Maybe when I retire. I know a lot of retired people and they're always like, "I'm so bored. There's nothing to do." I'm like, are you fucking kidding? I could fill every moment of the day with TV, movies, video games and books.

A lot of people when they retire really have no idea what to do with their time....it is really sad. I'm not saying they should sit around all day and watch or re-watch shows but it stuns me. If I never had to work ever again there is so much I could or would do. If I retired rich, well, I would buy all of King's lettered books and travel. Otherwise, it's re-watching shows I love, reading, collecting, house improvements, etc. Wait?! I do the latter already lol!

mae
07-22-2017, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFM3V_dors

fernandito
07-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Can't believe we have to wait a whole year for this!

Still Servant
07-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Can't believe we have to wait a whole year for this!

Tell me about it. I made this last year and posted it, but it still applies.

mae
02-04-2018, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmfriZoMw0

fernandito
02-05-2018, 10:08 AM
YES YES YES

Merlin1958
02-05-2018, 11:41 AM
:dance::dance::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mae
03-29-2018, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVqDg32_8s

fernandito
03-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Best show on TV (after GoT of course). Freaking stoked.

Merlin1958
03-29-2018, 02:54 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

:excited::excited::excited:

Merlin1958
04-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Are you ready for S2 tonight? :dance::dance::dance:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79806

allasorte
04-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Are you ready for S2 tonight? :dance::dance::dance:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79806

Yes! The Penguins beat Philly today in a hockey grudge match so I am in a good mood for some great TV!!!

Still Servant
04-23-2018, 03:50 PM
Well... that went by shockingly fast.

Merlin1958
04-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Nice job of kicking off the new season IMHO I liked that they pretty much picked right up where they left off and didn't do that "6 months has elaped" stuff these shows sometimes do.

I mean they did, but they didn't if you know what I mean. BTW I called it with my son. Ford isn't exactly gone. There is some "Ghost in the machine" stuff going on!!! I told him that right after the last episode. Ford transferred his conscience into the code or hosts.

TravelinJack
04-25-2018, 07:15 PM
Looking forward to watching the new season.

RUBE
05-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Weird that no one is talking about this show. It's great. I was worried about how it would go once we started wandering beyond the Westworld park but what they have shown us so far of the real world (even though it has mainly been flash backs) has only added to the story and it's mystery.

Merlin1958
05-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Weird that no one is talking about this show. It's great. I was worried about how it would go once we started wandering beyond the Westworld park but what they have shown us so far of the real world (even though it has mainly been flash backs) has only added to the story and it's mystery.

I for one am loving it!!! I just don't have much for discussion........................................ ....................yet. There is much information still to be gathered, IMHO Nevertheless, the best show on television, hands down IMO Still a couple of great nuggets this week. Delos, the bengal lady as TMIB daughter and that mysterious other control module. I called the, Delos thing to a degree last year. I figured immortality to be a goal. I don't think they were really trying all out to save, Delos. I still think Ford and/or Arnold were successful at it but perhaps in a different form. More along the lines of "Ghost in the machine" rather than actual physical form. There is much more to that story to be told. Imagine the power to replace key folks with virtual puppets.

Bev Vincent
05-14-2018, 06:41 AM
I like to pretend that I understand what's going on in this show, but most of the time I'm completely lost. I keep forgetting that Jimmi Simpson and Ed Harris are playing the same character, for example.

Merlin1958
05-14-2018, 12:54 PM
I like to pretend that I understand what's going on in this show, but most of the time I'm completely lost. I keep forgetting that Jimmi Simpson and Ed Harris are playing the same character, for example.

I know what you mean!!!! lol Sometimes I wish I had a scorecard. lol

BTW, anyone else think it a little weird the way, Logan was just dispatched? Could he have some deeper significance to be revealed at a later date?

allasorte
05-14-2018, 12:59 PM
I feel Logan is an after thought and could never be the man William is.
I was curious as to who the mystery woman was......and I guessed right. However, is she really human? I am curious about William's endgame. Perhaps he is the new hybrid and doesn't know? So far I really enjoy this season.

Merlin1958
05-14-2018, 01:05 PM
I feel Logan is an after thought and could never be the man William is.
I was curious as to who the mystery woman was......and I guessed right. However, is she really human? I am curious about William's endgame. Perhaps he is the new hybrid and doesn't know? So far I really enjoy this season.

I think, William is definitely human and his story is his own meaning he is not involved in the secret agenda's and such of the board, etc. His daughter showing up may prove me wrong, but I still feel he has his own plot and demons aside from the other goings on in the park.

allasorte
05-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Thoughts so far? Anyone feel it is a tad hard to follow with the jumping timelines? Any complaints? Last season I enjoyed and rooted for certain characters, now I am not sure where their path is going. Dolores for example, she was such an innocent and now she is on a murderous rampage I feel she will never come back from.

What about Maeve's new voice? I'm at odds with this.

RUBE
05-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Dolores is violating Teddy the same way the humans violated all of them and killed many that didn't meet her standards so she is not nearly the "hero" she once was.

Maeve is a little more sympathetic because she isn't taking control of the others unless they force her to and she is trying to save the innocent ones like her "daughter" and the two geishas. Then again, she left her lover like it was nothing when it helped her escape. Of course she is way over-powered now. They are going to have to do something to level the playing field back in her story at some point.

Merlin1958
05-25-2018, 08:55 PM
Dolores is violating Teddy the same way the humans violated all of them and killed many that didn't meet her standards so she is not nearly the "hero" she once was.

Maeve is a little more sympathetic because she isn't taking control of the others unless they force her to and she is trying to save the innocent ones like her "daughter" and the two geishas. Then again, she left her lover like it was nothing when it helped her escape. Of course she is way over-powered now. They are going to have to do something to level the playing field back in her story at some point.

I may be wrong, but IMHO none of the robots are truly "alive" and acting of their own free will & accord. To me, each has it's own differing level of "freedom" so to speak but are still acting according to an underlaying plan instituted by Ford and/or possibly Arnold. meaning things are still not quite what they seem. Of course, that doesn't mean I think I have any answers yet LOL

Still Servant
05-27-2018, 05:15 PM
You are correct, you're wrong.

Merlin1958
05-27-2018, 07:17 PM
I knew, Ford was/is still pulling strings!!! The hosts are only as "alive" as Ford allows them to be. He still has an agenda and is somehow "alive" himself inside the system. The couple of conversations "Young Ford" and Larry's daughter had with MIB were the telltale leading up to tonight's reveal, IMHO.

Ford, had/has one helluva "God Complex" that's for sure. I think he intends to eliminate mankind and replace it with his new species (so to speak) the hosts in which case he will be the "Man"!!!

Then again, I may be totally full of shit as well!! lol lol lol

RUBE
05-28-2018, 08:42 PM
So Ford used Bernard as a practice run for copying a person (as seen by Dolores testing his "fidelity") like William is trying to do with his father-in-law Delos. Then he uses Bernard to make a copy of himself using the exact same equipment that they are failing to make Delos with and Benard takes that copy and uploads it into the park mainframe or "cradle."

First off, how do none of the people notice a copy of Arnold around? Did they fire everyone and hire a new staff after Arnold died? Second, how are the Delos people so oblivious to what Ford was up to? Last, what is Ford's goal here. He may be able to control everything in the park but where does that lead? Is he going to hitch a ride in the data they are exporting and take over other systems?

Merlin1958
05-28-2018, 09:16 PM
So Ford used Bernard as a practice run for copying a person (as seen by Dolores testing his "fidelity") like William is trying to do with his father-in-law Delos. Then he uses Bernard to make a copy of himself using the exact same equipment that they are failing to make Delos with and Benard takes that copy and uploads it into the park mainframe or "cradle."

First off, how do none of the people notice a copy of Arnold around? Did they fire everyone and hire a new staff after Arnold died? Second, how are the Delos people so oblivious to what Ford was up to? Last, what is Ford's goal here. He may be able to control everything in the park but where does that lead? Is he going to hitch a ride in the data they are exporting and take over other systems?

Okay, here's my lame attempt at this. First off, Ford has kept some key component/code out of Williams hands over the years. I get the sense that, William (and/or the Board) & Ford have been playing a game of cat & mouse for many years regarding the actual tech. Ford, absolutely knew just how to perform the transference, William had been testing on Delos and then gave up. I think, William and the Board were persuing the same goals for a long time until William gave it up and went another route as far as his ultimate goal.

Unless I missed something huge, there is no physical host that truly represents /is Arnold. Ford said he created, Bernard with, Arnold in mind, to be a better partner, I don't recall there being any physical representation of, Arnold. Arnold, was caucasian.

The Delos staff was duped by Ford as to the actual goings on because of the compartmentalization of all the processes. Also, it seems he utilized hosts and drones to perform most of the work and at secret locations throughout the park. I think, Ford perfected the conscience transfer William was after, but took it a step further eliminating the need for a body and transferring himself directly into the system/code. That way when he needed to be a physical body he could just pop up in any host i.e as young Ford and Larry's daughter. In that form he is very "God-Like" and I think he came to the conclusion (perhaps he also went a little nuts) that humanity had run its course and it was time for a new species, the hosts. Once humanity was eliminated or totally dominated and the world populated by hosts (self replicating) he would indeed be "God".

IDK, what do you folks think? I may not have it all nailed, but I feel like I am in the ballpark.

RUBE
05-29-2018, 04:12 AM
Everything you said there seems plausible except that Arnold looked exactly like Bernard. The scene we saw earlier this season with them about to pitch the idea to Logan Delos had Arnold showing Delores his home not Bernard. Also when Bernard originally looks at the picture of Ford he doesn't see Arnold because of his programming. There is a weird blank space at the end of the picture then. But after he starts realizing what he is he sees Arnold in the picture. The third person in the middle of the picture is a "host" made to look like Ford's father.

Still Servant
05-29-2018, 03:54 PM

To the coward who would rather send a reputation point instead of commenting, yes, it was necessary.

I know it wasn't Merlin because he has me blocked.

allasorte
05-29-2018, 05:41 PM

To the coward who would rather send a reputation point instead of commenting, yes, it was necessary.

I know it wasn't Merlin because he has me blocked.

Negative feedback for what? You stating wrong or right? My thought was simply Bill was perhaps wrong and or perhaps right. We don't know for sure until we go further down the rabbit hole. I enjoy all the confusion and hidden meanings of this show; love it actually.

Merlin1958
05-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Everything you said there seems plausible except that Arnold looked exactly like Bernard. The scene we saw earlier this season with them about to pitch the idea to Logan Delos had Arnold showing Delores his home not Bernard. Also when Bernard originally looks at the picture of Ford he doesn't see Arnold because of his programming. There is a weird blank space at the end of the picture then. But after he starts realizing what he is he sees Arnold in the picture. The third person in the middle of the picture is a "host" made to look like Ford's father.

But wasn't there a picture shown, by Ford to Bernard in S1, that showed Ford, Bernard and Arnold? And wasn't Arnold a caucasian? Plus didn't Ford say that he built Bernard to replace Arnold and to be a better partner? I don't recall the Host as Ford's Father being mentioned in the picture, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. My memory ain't what it used to be.

RUBE
05-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Google "picture of Ford and Arnold Westworld." The first two pictures are one with only two dudes and one with all three that Bernard can see later on.

I will admit I didn't remember the "father" thing until I looked it up. There was an episode last year where Bernard went to where there were some unregistered hosts (or something like that) and it turned out to be Ford's secret base which included a host version of his father that Arnold made him. That host looks exactly like the man in the picture. Bernard even says "Arnold?" because he could only see him and Ford in the picture the first time. Soon after, Bernard finds out he is a host and he can see Arnold in the picture then because he no longer needs to be shielded from the truth (or at least that part of it.)

Ford still thinks he made a "better" Arnold but the two still look the same and are played by the same actor.

allasorte
05-30-2018, 02:48 AM

But wasn't there a picture shown, by Ford to Bernard in S1, that showed Ford, Bernard and Arnold? And wasn't Arnold a caucasian? Plus didn't Ford say that he built Bernard to replace Arnold and to be a better partner? I don't recall the Host as Ford's Father being mentioned in the picture, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. My memory ain't what it used to be.

The picture initially was of Ford and a white guy. I believe Rube is right, the white guy is Ford's father. When the picture is shown again, Arnold is also in it when shown to Bernard so Bernard can really "see." Arnold Weber is an anagram for Bernard Lowe. Really smart play.

RUBE
06-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Appears Merlin is right about the Ford God complex stuff and I was right about Arnold/Bernard, and we were both wrong about Ford being able to copy himself successfully. Ford said in this episode that his copy only works "in here" which I take to mean in the background hiding in the programming. He went on to say he would degrade and go crazy like Delos' copy if he was out there. He is just hitching a ride in Bernard's programming not fully operating his body (except for brief moments when he is forced to.) He also said Bernard works because he is not an exact copy of Arnold's mind.

Merlin1958
06-03-2018, 07:47 PM
Appears Merlin is right about the Ford God complex stuff and I was right about Arnold/Bernard, and we were both wrong about Ford being able to copy himself successfully. Ford said in this episode that his copy only works "in here" which I take to mean in the background hiding in the programming. He went on to say he would degrade and go crazy like Delos' copy if he was out there. He is just hitching a ride in Bernard's programming not fully operating his body (except for brief moments when he is forced to.) He also said Bernard works because he is not an exact copy of Arnold's mind.

God, I do LOVE this show!!!! Gonna take a flyer here, but I think the reason they degrade (Delos, etc) is due to them being severed from the system. Delos', transferred mind was done in the system and once severed began to degrade. Ford, was not really alive in the physical sense when talking to Bernard he was a "ghost in the machine" so to speak. Dolores & Bernard can operate outside the system (Ithink a few others are capable as well Maeve for instance) so Bernard is Ford's ticket to immortality because he can hitch a ride with Bernard. So actually, Ford was successful in copying himself into the system. He doesn't really want a physical presence in the traditional sense I think.

Got to go back and watch again cause I missed a good portion of the conversation Ford had in Arnold's house.

Merlin1958
06-12-2018, 11:11 AM
No thoughts this week?

Bev Vincent
06-12-2018, 12:41 PM
No thoughts this week?

Zahn McClarnon was awesome.

allasorte
06-12-2018, 03:29 PM
No thoughts this week?

I am at an impasse with this season. Overall I enjoy it, but it jumps around so much. Last episode I felt was too long for a flashback. It was almost the whole episode. Are we going to get flashbacks of all the AIs becoming self-aware now? What is the purpose of this character's elongated flashback? Does it hold a key to something more? I also feel the AIs are too smart. They have been outsmarting and killing all the special ops groups at a record pace. I don't know, it feels too unrealistic to me. Then again, perhaps this was Ford's whole hidden plan and this is working out exactly how Ford wanted. I re-watched and beyond anticipated every episode of season 1. Season 2, I have not done this with many of the episodes.

Merlin1958
06-12-2018, 04:06 PM
No thoughts this week?

I am at an impasse with this season. Overall I enjoy it, but it jumps around so much. Last episode I felt was too long for a flashback. It was almost the whole episode. Are we going to get flashbacks of all the AIs becoming self-aware now? What is the purpose of this character's elongated flashback? Does it hold a key to something more? I also feel the AIs are too smart. They have been outsmarting and killing all the special ops groups at a record pace. I don't know, it feels too unrealistic to me. Then again, perhaps this was Ford's whole hidden plan and this is working out exactly how Ford wanted. I re-watched and beyond anticipated every episode of season 1. Season 2, I have not done this with many of the episodes.

Well, Ford is alive in the system and now Bernard. To meit stands to reason that everything he know's/his memories are accessible to all the hosts able to access the system. Therefore they would be a step ahead of the Ops guys.He knew the protocols in place plus he also knew what, Hale & the Board were up to. The FB was a little much in some ways I agree, but it did fill a couple holes I thought.

Bev Vincent
06-13-2018, 02:41 AM
No thoughts this week?

Purpose: the first self-aware host transmitted his findings to Maeve via the hive net through her daughter. Maeve is now fully armed with information about the "door" and its location and significance.

Merlin1958
06-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Another great episode!!! Does anyone know if there is a pre=determined story/series plan in place for this show? Like 5-6 season's and the series finale? or are they just writing to the ratings, so to speak? Just curious. It would seem to me that the show should have a thought out story and conclusion in place. JMHO

I LOVE this show!!!!

allasorte
06-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Another great episode!!! Does anyone know if there is a pre=determined story/series plan in place for this show? Like 5-6 season's and the series finale? or are they just writing to the ratings, so to speak? Just curious. It would seem to me that the show should have a thought out story and conclusion in place. JMHO

I LOVE this show!!!!

That episode was an amazing tragedy. Loved it
As for your question, I remember reading that the creators had a predetermined idea and story line of like 5-6 seasons and that was it. I am hoping that holds true. So many great shows ended poorly and lost "special treatment" when they have continued to spew out season after season diluting the quality for money and ratings.

Merlin1958
06-18-2018, 03:56 PM

I LOVE this show!!!!

That episode was an amazing tragedy. Loved it
As for your question, I remember reading that the creators had a predetermined idea and story line of like 5-6 seasons and that was it. I am hoping that holds true. So many great shows ended poorly and lost "special treatment" when they have continued to spew out season after season diluting the quality for money and ratings.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

allasorte
06-18-2018, 04:39 PM
I found this Bill:
It wasn't about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be. We wanted everything in line so that when the very last episode airs and we have our show finale, five or seven years down the line, we knew how it was going to end the first season -- that's the way Jonah and J.J. Abrams operate. They're making sure all the ducks are in the row.

Merlin1958
06-18-2018, 04:45 PM
I found this Bill:
It wasn't about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be. We wanted everything in line so that when the very last episode airs and we have our show finale, five or seven years down the line, we knew how it was going to end the first season -- that's the way Jonah and J.J. Abrams operate. They're making sure all the ducks are in the row.

Thanks for that my friend. That is very good news indeed. Like you said so many shows amble on as a slave to the ratings and we suffer. I wish more shows adopted this strategy and more networks gave them the chance to see it through. I have to admit, it made me smile with that, Abrams quote. lol How soon he put "Lost" behind him, huh? Though that is a good example of what I am talking about. lol

mae
05-19-2019, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSUQ7mZfWk

Shannon
05-19-2019, 10:18 PM
When the trailer came on after GOT, I was like, "This show looks great, what is it!?" and then boom, Evan Rachel Wood and the Westworld logo. Well played, HBO.

Still Servant
05-20-2019, 03:22 PM
When the trailer came on after GOT, I was like, "This show looks great, what is it!?" and then boom, Evan Rachel Wood and the Westworld logo. Well played, HBO.

:lol:

I did the exact same fucking thing! I was like, "I don't know what this show is, but I can't wait." I'm ready for the soft reboot. Season 2 was kind of a disappointment for me.

Merlin1958
05-25-2019, 01:37 PM

Yes!!! And now the newly self-realized robots move into the real world!!! Cry Havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!!!!! lol

mae
07-20-2019, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CYajemh6E

WeDealInLead
08-22-2019, 04:54 AM
Finally finished season 2. I'm very impressed. Maybe I wouldn't dig the flashbacks had I been watching this weekly, but they weren't a big deal to me. I think they were supposed to show us that's what it's like to be a host, "Is this a dream?", you know?

fernandito
08-22-2019, 08:07 AM
I hate this 2 year waiting period shit. I've noticed starting to become a trend with certain shows.

mae
01-13-2020, 01:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEn609nkRs

Merlin1958
01-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Looking Good!!!!!!

VERY interesting trailer, no?

mae
02-20-2020, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJbFA32_QY

fernandito
02-20-2020, 03:06 PM
My body is ready. Also dat Aaron Paul :wub:

Merlin1958
02-23-2020, 01:08 AM
Oh, Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it. That was the only thing this show was missing. A little Guns & Roses, man!!!! G&R!!! :panic::panic::panic:

fernandito
02-24-2020, 11:53 AM
So close.. yet so far...

Merlin1958
02-25-2020, 11:45 AM
So close.. yet so far...

Yes, seems like forever!!!!

Hunchback Jack
02-25-2020, 02:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing Aaron Paul in this. I haven't really seen him in anything but Breaking Bad, and am interested to see him in another role with some meat to it.

(I just recently saw him in El Camino and think he did a fine job)

Merlin1958
02-27-2020, 09:47 AM
Looking forward to seeing Aaron Paul in this. I haven't really seen him in anything but Breaking Bad, and am interested to see him in another role with some meat to it.

(I just recently saw him in El Camino and think he did a fine job)

Yes, he was good in El Camino and looks promising from what can be seen in the new trailers. 3/15 is not too far away!!!!! In fact, "The Outsider" should have just wound up when WW will just start up!!! Nice HBO!!!!!!