PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bev Vincent
08-22-2016, 06:22 AM
Downtown Bangor shop to feature rare items from famous writers, including Stephen King (http://bangordailynews.com/2016/08/22/business/downtown-bangor-shop-to-feature-rare-items-from-famous-writers-including-stephen-king/)

Five incredibly cool things I saw at Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor (http://cultureshock.bangordailynews.com/2016/08/22/rockin-out/five-incredibly-cool-things-i-saw-at-gerald-winters-and-son-the-new-bookstore-in-bangor/)

webstar1000
08-22-2016, 06:25 AM
I will be visiting next time I am in the area!

Randall Flagg
08-22-2016, 07:42 AM
That's great news. I wish him well, and when in Bangor again, I'll be visiting the store.

surly
08-22-2016, 07:48 AM
That's stellar news! Wow, guess I know what im doing for my next trip.

Roseannebarr
08-22-2016, 08:12 AM
If you google Gerald Winters other articles point out that it will be a MUSEUM and Store.

I would like to point out that i reached out to BOB about a year ago and told him to watch the movie the LONGEST RIDE. I was hoping to do the exact same thing with Bob's collection! I was preparing him to "WILL" his entire collection to me so i could open the Stephen KING/Cardosweiller Museum.

It would be awesome.

Cwalker
08-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Gotta play my "still a newbie" card and ask... Gerald, AKA Neo-Trinity, right?

Either way, will be heading up as soon as it opens!

Pasiuk57
08-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Gerald-nice move.
If I'm near there, I will be stopping by...

webstar1000
08-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Gotta play my "still a newbie" card and ask... Gerald, AKA Neo-Trinity, right?

Either way, will be heading up as soon as it opens!

Sure is yes:)

Merlin1958
08-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Wonderful news indeed!!! Best of luck to you, Gerald!!!

zelig
08-22-2016, 10:59 AM
All the best with it Gerald! Looks and sounds wonderful. I will have to make a trip there at some point.

Thanks for posting Bev.

carlosdetweiller
08-22-2016, 01:37 PM
I am really, really interested to see what Gerald does with this. I wish him lots and lots of luck and good times running a store like that.

surly
08-22-2016, 01:42 PM
ditto.
has anyone actually been in contact with him to find out what his plans are and get the details of the Grand Opening?

Pasiuk57
08-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Gerald
What are your plans and details on a grand opening?
Maybe he will respond!

sharki69
08-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Good luck Gerald !!

Theli
08-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Very cool! I hope I get a chance to visit it one day.

Congrats Gerald!

Dano
08-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Fantastic news! Hope to visit one day!

Dan

Alec
08-22-2016, 11:46 PM
This is such good news.
Gerald's reputation I am sure precedes him. The breadth of knowledge and advice will be helpful to everyone.
Above all a good old fashioned bookstore, somewhere to browse and actually view prior to purchase. All things move forward, however this return to good old fashioned marketing is very refreshing, especially with an expert on hand to assist.
If we get lucky perhaps a bookstore in the UK when you expand?
Kindest regards
Alec.

Beverly Marsh
08-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Wow. I live there and had no idea this was happening! Will be there opening day! If only to glance at that asbestos Firestarter in person :coo3l: Am looking forward to seeing what he has available. Although David will remain my #1 source it will be neat to walk into a brick and mortar store and look around like the good 'ole days.

bdwyer19
08-24-2016, 02:53 AM
Congrats Gerald! Now I found another reason to try and visit Bangor one day!

neo_trinity
08-25-2016, 05:24 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. Like any new venture in life, there is always unknowns that cause delays, and the last few weeks had a few with family and other events. Please God they are sorted out now and I can move ahead with finishing off the remaining details and open in a few weeks. I will post more details as I get closer.

I am new to Twitter but you can see some interesting pieces that I will be making available by following me at @GWandSonBooks. The same goes for Facebook. As I unpack and sort through the collection, I will try to post new items that I haven't shown before. There will be very little that you all haven't seen here, as most things are known in this field, but hopefully new collectors and fans can have a chance to view unique items in person, that most of us take for granted everyday. To a new collector, a Limited copy of The Stand is probably one of the most beautiful examples of literature they will ever experience. Seeing photos on eBay never does it justice. To feel the weight of it, to smell the leather, running your fingers over the raised features on the spine, and the wooden coffin case, is a feeling that cannot be described in words. Its beauty is definitely in the beholding.

What I witnessed after buying a house in Bangor, and walking past Steve's each day, was the sheer volume of fans that visit religiously. License plates from all 50 states, and international visitors courtesy of Stu Tinker of SK Tours, is a testament to his following and people that love his books. For most, a simple paperback copy would get a lot of abuse from the constant readings, but it doesn't mean that the odd fan wouldn't like to see a bit more. Maybe they will be a customer, and maybe not, but just meeting fans and sharing stories of our favorite novels will be a treat in and of itself. Most places I have lived around the world, English is not the native language, so the chances of meeting book lovers there was slim. This is an opportunity of meeting like-minded individuals that love to talk about their favorite author.

Thank you all.
Gerald

Merlin1958
08-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Only the very best of wishes and luck to you, Gerald!! As well as to your devoted student, your son!!! Good Luck and come this way west sometime!!! lol

Beverly Marsh
08-26-2016, 04:19 AM
Congratulations Gerald and please keep us posted on when you might be opening. Really looking forward to stopping in!

biomieg
08-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Gerald has been posting some nice items on his FB page...

Ari_Racing
08-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Congratulations and good luck! Will surely visit you next time I go to Bangor!

EXPLORER
08-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Wow... Really need to drop by tdt.org more often than have lately.... Miss out on great, interesting things like this. Best to you with this venture Neo-T.

Will be watching for opening date and coordinating a special vacation to take advantage of direct flights to Bangor I keep have tempting me in email spam.

divemaster
08-29-2016, 08:39 PM
I too, just saw this thread. How exciting! Neo-Trinity doesn't know me from Adam, but I've always enjoyed reading his posts and appreciating his collecting knowledge. Good luck Gerald!

ICry4Oy
09-03-2016, 09:06 AM
This is FANTASTIC! My only regret is that I am sure I'll never go to Maine. I bought the Centipede Press 'Salem's Lot' from him a couple of years ago and he was an absolute wonderful person to do business with. Wishing him and his son the BEST of luck!!!!!

dnemec
09-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Just liked the Facebook page and WOW! Maine is definitely on my list of places to visit, and now I have another bookstore to see as well! Best of luck!!

Merlin1958
09-03-2016, 04:29 PM
This is FANTASTIC! My only regret is that I am sure I'll never go to Maine. I bought the Centipede Press 'Salem's Lot' from him a couple of years ago and he was an absolute wonderful person to do business with. Wishing him and his son the BEST of luck!!!!!

I'm sure he intends on some sort of online presence.

T-Dogz_AK47
09-04-2016, 01:03 AM
This thread is truly awesome, what great news! Best of luck Gerald!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Alec
09-25-2016, 08:27 AM
Just visited Gerald's website. I think we can look forward to some rare items and amazing quality.
Take the time to look at his copy of The Hobbit, I do not think I have seen a better first edition of this book.
Alec.

Randall Flagg
09-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Just visited Gerald's website. I think we can look forward to some rare items and amazing quality.
Take the time to look at his copy of The Hobbit, I do not think I have seen a better first edition of this book.
Alec.
Did you visit the website, or his Facebook page?

Br!an
09-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Must be Facebook. The web site is still under construction.

herbertwest
09-26-2016, 12:13 AM
Alec.

Didn't he sell it, and the sale was a record auction?
>>> http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1183-most-expensive-hobbit-book-sold-on-auction.php

Beverly Marsh
09-29-2016, 05:37 AM
Did anyone here get the signed Carrie?
Looking forward to seeing what else that lady has to offer.....

Bev Vincent
10-18-2016, 01:06 PM
A new article, with photo: Gerald Winters and Son, new Stephen King-centric bookstore, opens in Bangor (http://cultureshock.bangordailynews.com/2016/10/18/out-and-about/gerald-winters-and-son-new-stephen-king-centric-bookstore-opens-in-bangor/)

webstar1000
10-19-2016, 04:00 AM
Bet King will stop in here a time or two:) I hope to visit and also hope that there is some affordable items. I feel there will not be but one can wish right?

Cwalker
10-19-2016, 04:28 AM
Many of the things that I saw with a price tag on them were very reasonable. *****THIS NEXT PART IS ONLY MY OPINION....PURE SPECULATION BASED ON WHAT I SAW**** I am speculating that most of his prices will be more in the "Betts Books" ballpark and not the "Veryfine Books" end of things. I could be wrong, and he is in business to make money, but that is the impression I got.

webstar1000
10-19-2016, 04:49 AM
Many of the things that I saw with a price tag on them were very reasonable. *****THIS NEXT PART IS ONLY MY OPINION....PURE SPECULATION BASED ON WHAT I SAW**** I am speculating that most of his prices will be more in the "Betts Books" ballpark and not the "Veryfine Books" end of things. I could be wrong, and he is in business to make money, but that is the impression I got.

That is really exciting news. I love how he outsourced a man hole cover from the city of Bangor for his shop to replicate the one from IT. This is so cool. I hope he makes a go of it and it is a staple spot to visit for all King collectors for a long time to come!

Merlin1958
10-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Great Press, good luck and Godspeed to you, my friend!!!

herbertwest
10-24-2016, 06:39 AM
I appreciate the posts on his facebook page!
>>> https://www.facebook.com/GWandSonBooks/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Beverly Marsh
10-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Stopped in today and I must say that it was pretty exciting to walk into a brick and mortar King centric book store. He has some great stuff already and not everything is even out for display yet! Not to mention he is a very nice guy with great collecting knowledge. We had a good chat. Even though it is sold he showed me the asbestos Firestarter, a beauty! Oh yeah and I picked up not one but three books I've been looking for. This place is going to be dangerous. Lol.

Cwalker
10-24-2016, 08:34 AM
It is surely a dangerous place. Luckly for me I live just far enough away (2 to 2 1/2 hours) that I can't just make a spur-of-the-moment decision to go visit. That should protect my wallet a little bit.
At least until tomorrow, when I take my wife up to see the shop and meet Gerald. :)

Beverly Marsh
10-24-2016, 08:37 AM
It is surely a dangerous place. Luckly for me I live just far enough away (2 to 2 1/2 hours) that I can't just make a spur-of-the-moment decision to go visit. That should protect my wallet a little bit.
At least until tomorrow, when I take my wife up to see the shop and meet Gerald. :)
You're lucky! Lol, I live about two minutes away. Not gonna be good! He asked if you and I knew each other and I said that we did indeed. Enjoy your visit tomorrow! Don't buy anything I might want. I got enough today ;)

Theli
10-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Stopped in today and I must say that it was pretty exciting to walk into a brick and mortar King centric book store. He has some great stuff already and not everything is even out for display yet! Not to mention he is a very nice guy with great collecting knowledge. We had a good chat. Even though it is sold he showed me the asbestos Firestarter, a beauty! Oh yeah and I picked up not one but three books I've been looking for. This place is going to be dangerous. Lol.

Sounds dangerous indeed!

Merlin1958
10-24-2016, 05:14 PM
I gotta try and make a trip there!!!!

Merlin1958
10-24-2016, 06:39 PM
JMHO, but this guy is taking his shot at being THE Stephen King & Collectible store in, Maine. I really respect that. Doesn't mean I won't visit, Betts it just means I will visit BOTH to search for the books I crave!!!

I do have a "soft spot" for, David but would he really condemn me? LOL I applaud, Geralds' sense of STYLE!!! Competition is great for commerce!!!

wizardsrainbow
10-25-2016, 03:12 AM
I wish Gerald ALL SUCCESS in his venture in Bangor....I have no issues with his being in competition with me...the important thing for me ALWAYS is that certain books find new homes to those that want and appreciate them...if I can fascilitate that process, GREAT, if Gerald does it, that is GREAT too!

Patrick
10-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Congrats on the new venture, Gerald. I look forward to checking it out (online from the west coast, that is).

Beverly Marsh
11-01-2016, 05:14 AM
Had some out of town friends visiting for BanGOREfest this past weekend and of course I told them to check out the store. And of course I went with them and bought three more books.
12 step program STAT! :panic:
He has some amazing stuff. A few display only items including a Napkins 1st and 2nd draft along with original pencil sketches for the S/L. I personally don't collect proofs but he has a ton, many signed.
After going back I would have to say that price wise he is a bit on the higher side. David has spoiled us I think! However, he seems willing to negotiate. The first time I went in and bought three pricier items I asked if he would knock a little off due to buying all three and he did. I'm in the middle of another possible purchase now.....
With that being said, I will ALWAYS continue to see what David gets in because they both have different and sought after items.

stroppygoblin
11-01-2016, 06:29 AM
Had some out of town friends visiting for BanGOREfest this past weekend and of course I told them to check out the store. And of course I went with them and bought three more books.
He has some amazing stuff. A few display only items including a Napkins 1st and 2nd draft along with original pencil sketches for the S/L. I personally don't collect proofs but he has a ton, many signed.
After going back I would have to say that price wise he is a bit on the higher side. David has spoiled us I think! However, he seems willing to negotiate. The first time I went in and bought three pricier items I asked if he would knock a little off due to buying all three and he did. I'm in the middle of another possible purchase now.....
With that being said, I will ALWAYS continue to see what David gets in because they both have different and sought after items.

Bricks and Mortar stores will always need to charge a little more in order to cover costs.

Merlin1958
11-04-2016, 07:18 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roseannebarr
11-08-2016, 01:54 PM
It was great to see a stephen king store, great proprietor, very knowledgable. And patient. Made my list of needful things when I win the lottery. Bought a UK blockade Billy and shining keychain. Everything else on hold until lottery. Win

webstar1000
11-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Nice Glenn, I'm really pumped to go to the store. Heading there next May!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beverly Marsh
11-10-2016, 04:39 AM

Bricks and Mortar stores will always need to charge a little more in order to cover costs.
Oh yes, I absolutely agree Simon and even with the upcharges for brick and mortar his prices mostly range in the fair market value. Trust me, I've bought 7 books there. So far :rolleyes2:

Lot guy
11-10-2016, 04:58 PM
I was able to stop by Gerald's shop a couple times while in town, it was an amazing place with a great presentation!! Gerald was very welcoming and happy to answer any questions you have, I look forward to visiting again, the vibe was professional, pleasant and accommodating!! I suggest ANYONE who is in the area to stop by and check it out!!!!
Thank You again for your hospitality and it was great to meet you!! What a thrill to walk into a store based on Stephen King Collectables!!!!

Pasiuk57
11-21-2016, 11:54 AM
I flew to Bangor last night and met Gerald at his store this morning. I had a great time! He took the time to show me everything he has so far. He will have more iinventory in the months ahead. We had a long conversation about all things King (and I learned a ton) and he drove me for photos of King's house and the cemetery where Pet Cemetery was filmed. I only had a very short time but really enjoyed the time I had with him. I picked up a few items during my visit and just truly wished I lived closer...I wholeheartedly recommend his place to everyone. You will not be disappointed!! His stories of how he acquired certain rarities is, for me, always fun to know. I wish him many more years in Maine! We even ran into Stu Tinker at King's House giving a tour. Over the years, I've bought thousands from him and now met him. Quickly but...

webstar1000
11-21-2016, 11:58 AM
I flew to Bangor last night and met Gerald at his store this morning. I had a great time! He took the time to show me everything he has so far. He will have more iinventory in the months ahead. We had a long conversation about all things King (and I learned a ton) and he drove me for photos of King's house and the cemetery where Pet Cemetery was filmed. I only had a very short time but really enjoyed the time I had with him. I picked up a few items during my visit and just truly wished I lived closer...I wholeheartedly recommend his place to everyone. You will not be disappointed!! His stories of how he acquired certain rarities is, for me, always fun to know. I wish him many more years in Maine!

SWEET! I cannot wait to meet him and see the store. I am booked May 12th to head there for that weekend and plan to bother him lots during a visit!!!!

Pasiuk57
11-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Should be a great time!

jreitan47
11-21-2016, 01:29 PM
I flew to Bangor last night and met Gerald at his store this morning. I had a great time! He took the time to show me everything he has so far. He will have more iinventory in the months ahead. We had a long conversation about all things King (and I learned a ton) and he drove me for photos of King's house and the cemetery where Pet Cemetery was filmed. I only had a very short time but really enjoyed the time I had with him. I picked up a few items during my visit and just truly wished I lived closer...I wholeheartedly recommend his place to everyone. You will not be disappointed!! His stories of how he acquired certain rarities is, for me, always fun to know. I wish him many more years in Maine!

Very cool! What did you get?

Bev Vincent
11-23-2016, 04:58 AM
Rare book store owner in Bangor features Stephen King, J.R.R Tolkien (http://www.wcsh6.com/life/rare-book-store-owner-in-bangor-features-stephen-king-jrr-tolkien/355038964) (with video profile)

Merlin1958
11-23-2016, 06:48 AM
Whoa, a TV star in our midst!!!! lol Great P.R.!!!

wolfehr
11-23-2016, 08:40 PM
The name is this article sounds familiar ;)

http://www.wlbz2.com/mb/life/rare-book-store-owner-in-bangor-features-stephen-king-jrr-tolkien/355168087

herbertwest
11-24-2016, 05:32 AM
Just wondering : so is Gerald done with collecting King for himself?

Dumb other question : "the family has bought some books from me in the past..."
Does he mean the KING family?

stroppygoblin
11-24-2016, 06:34 AM
No he means the family that has asked Gerald to sell the Darwin book on their behalf.

I believe Gerald is still very much a King collector, a lot (if not most) of his shop display are books from his own collection and are not for sale, he is just giving the collector public an opportunity to see some of the the rarer books that they would otherwise never have the chance to see "in the flesh" so to speak. If they happen to purchase something else that IS for sale in the shop, then so much the better!

webstar1000
11-24-2016, 06:44 AM
No he means the family that has asked Gerald to sell the Darwin book on their behalf.

I believe Gerald is still very much a King collector, a lot (if not most) of his shop display are books from his own collection and are not for sale, he is just giving the collector public an opportunity to see some of the the rarer books that they would otherwise never have the chance to see "in the flesh" so to speak. If they happen to purchase something else that IS for sale in the shop, then so much the better!

Simon is right... I contacted him on two books and they are not for sale:) I noticed them in the media and Facebook posts. Hey..... some day but not now.

biomieg
11-24-2016, 06:46 AM
Yeah. I also think this is more of a hobby (selling books, I mean) than something that he has to do to make a living. I for one am glad that he decided to share some of his wonderful books with the world in this way. The chances that I'll end up in Bangor one day are very small so I'm happy to see whatever he posts online.

herbertwest
11-24-2016, 08:28 AM
OK so it's more some sort of small musem than actually a shop then?
I guess that he may sell more common items, such as first editions and some signed copies, but the rare items he keeps them for himself?

tippy4
11-24-2016, 08:48 AM
There are some rare items for sale.

I believe it will be a combination store and museum......with some items for sale and some items for display.

I stopped in while I was in Bangor earlier this month for the HIS event.

stroppygoblin
11-24-2016, 09:22 AM
OK so it's more some sort of small musem than actually a shop then?
I guess that he may sell more common items, such as first editions and some signed copies, but the rare items he keeps them for himself?

Nope, :nope: It's a shop. It's just that his rare SK items are not for sale, however unlike some of the high end collectors, he has chosen not to lock them away in a basement and is sharing them (at least through glass) with others.

Brian861
11-24-2016, 06:39 PM
And he did break out the asbestos Firestarter for the news guy.

Cwalker
11-25-2016, 08:08 AM

He did the same for my wife and I. It even smelled great! If I understood correctly, that copy has been sold to an asian collector, but the person agreed to let Gerald keep it for a while as a dispaly item. So glad he did.

Brian861
11-25-2016, 09:53 AM

He did the same for my wife and I. It even smelled great! If I understood correctly, that copy has been sold to an asian collector, but the person agreed to let Gerald keep it for a while as a dispaly item. So glad he did.

:cool:

herbertwest
11-27-2016, 10:20 AM
I dont understand why Gerald stop posting on this website knowing that he would be opening a shop.... a good way to promote his sales.
He now has a website
>>> http://geraldwinters.com/

He apparently sells a lettered Christine
>>> http://geraldwinters.com/christine-lettered-edition-stephen-king/

Randall Flagg
11-27-2016, 10:22 AM
His $450 for a signed Hearts in Suspension is a good price. If you buy it, make sure you tell him you found it here.

http://geraldwinters.com/hearts-in-suspension-signed-by-stephen-king/

webstar1000
11-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Yeah that's a sick deal. He has a bunch of them too!

becca69
11-27-2016, 10:50 AM
His $450 for a signed Hearts in Suspension is a good price. If you buy it, make sure you tell him you found it here.

That's what they've been selling for in true auction style listings on Ebay.

east-tennessee
11-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Ordered and mentioned :smile:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-27-2016, 10:49 PM
I dont understand why Gerald stop posting on this website knowing that he would be opening a shop.... a good way to promote his sales.
He apparently sells a lettered Christine
>>> http://geraldwinters.com/christine-lettered-edition-stephen-king/

I will sell you mine for $1,000 less.

Alec
12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
As I have posted in the past it is not uncommon for me to collect two or three copies of some signed first editions, when available and the price is correct.
I have just had the good fortune to purchase two copies of Hearts in Suspension from Gerald Winters and Son.
The price is more than fair and I know the condition will be first class.
I believe, as others do, that this price will rocket. A limited number of signed copies can only produce one outcome.

Many thanks Gerald and all best wishes for the future.

Kindest regards
Alec.

neo_trinity
12-05-2016, 06:23 AM
Thank you East-Tennessee, Alec and a few other members here, who were kind enough to order a signed copy of Hearts in Suspension. I am especially grateful to those that ordered an extra copy, when they didn’t exactly need one, to help out a new business. I do appreciate it.

Yes, Herbestwest, you are correct in your statement that I do not post here often. I used to like it, but when you get a few bad apples that seem to take it upon themselves to leave nasty comments (both public and private), the desire (and free marketing) is just not worth it. I am not the only collector that has chosen to stop posting, or sharing their new additions.

I won’t sink to the levels of some (his post is 2 above me) that seem to think it is appropriate to comment negatively on the prices of another person’s books, because I was raised with the adage that you don’t poke a wicked dog. The best way to control them, is to control their food source (ie: buyers with money).

Alan / Mr. Rabbit Trick / fellow_pian (eBay), although we have never met, and probably never will, you are free to comment anyway you see fit on a public forum. I don’t check this website on a daily basis like some, but occasionally some friends here do tell me when others have posted something either about me, or really negative, and usually it centers around you. While I have never sought out winning a popularity contest, I can safely assume neither have you, and that is fine. Everyone can have an opinion on what a book is worth, what it’s not, and simply brag when the feeling takes hold. That is all very well and good.

However, the day may come, sooner rather than later, that you, or your heirs, may need to sell said books. When that happens, you can either use your go-to-route and try to sell on eBay. I don’t need to tell you that you won’t exactly get your desired figure there. Your other option, or your heirs, will be to contact a book dealer and cross your fingers that they specialize in Stephen King and can price them correctly (ie: Sphere Gunslinger Proof for GBP 1,500). Last option, open up a brick & mortar bookstore in 2017 or later, and try your luck there.

When the day comes that you want to liquidate your $10,000 Lettered Danse Macabre, or any other of your super-rare books, you are going to come to a Stephen King dealer with your hat in hand, and hope they don’t hold a grudge. My business model is very different than most. My customers demand perfection, and I don’t disappoint. They pay cash, they pay instantly, and they pay generously.

By the way, my Lettered Christine sold, and the buyer was not interested in saving $1000. Thank you for the discount though. Have a great day.
Gerald

jhanic
12-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Well said, Gerald! I've noticed that most of the biggest and bitterest disagreements on the site stem from buying and selling (and pricing) items.

John

biomieg
12-05-2016, 07:02 AM
I made my first purchase from Gerald as well. An A+ transaction!

firemonkey66
12-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Congratulations on the sale and on the site, Gerald! I really enjoy perusing your inventory, your vault items, and the site in general. Very interesting all around.

Lurker
12-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Wow. Does anyone know what the lettered Christine went for? That link goes to a blank page...

webstar1000
12-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Wow. Does anyone know what the lettered Christine went for? That link goes to a blank page...

$6000 :)

Lurker
12-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Thanks. I've been thinking about selling mine, so that gives me a ballpark.

Roseannebarr
12-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Thank you East-Tennessee, Alec and a few other members here, who were kind enough to order a signed copy of Hearts in Suspension. I am especially grateful to those that ordered an extra copy, when they didn’t exactly need one, to help out a new business. I do appreciate it.

Yes, Herbestwest, you are correct in your statement that I do not post here often. I used to like it, but when you get a few bad apples that seem to take it upon themselves to leave nasty comments (both public and private), the desire (and free marketing) is just not worth it. I am not the only collector that has chosen to stop posting, or sharing their new additions.

I won’t sink to the levels of some (his post is 2 above me) that seem to think it is appropriate to comment negatively on the prices of another person’s books, because I was raised with the adage that you don’t poke a wicked dog. The best way to control them, is to control their food source (ie: buyers with money).

Alan / Mr. Rabbit Trick / fellow_pian (eBay), although we have never met, and probably never will, you are free to comment anyway you see fit on a public forum. I don’t check this website on a daily basis like some, but occasionally some friends here do tell me when others have posted something either about me, or really negative, and usually it centers around you. While I have never sought out winning a popularity contest, I can safely assume neither have you, and that is fine. Everyone can have an opinion on what a book is worth, what it’s not, and simply brag when the feeling takes hold. That is all very well and good.

However, the day may come, sooner rather than later, that you, or your heirs, may need to sell said books. When that happens, you can either use your go-to-route and try to sell on eBay. I don’t need to tell you that you won’t exactly get your desired figure there. Your other option, or your heirs, will be to contact a book dealer and cross your fingers that they specialize in Stephen King and can price them correctly (ie: Sphere Gunslinger Proof for GBP 1,500). Last option, open up a brick & mortar bookstore in 2017 or later, and try your luck there.

When the day comes that you want to liquidate your $10,000 Lettered Danse Macabre, or any other of your super-rare books, you are going to come to a Stephen King dealer with your hat in hand, and hope they don’t hold a grudge. My business model is very different than most. My customers demand perfection, and I don’t disappoint. They pay cash, they pay instantly, and they pay generously.

By the way, my Lettered Christine sold, and the buyer was not interested in saving $1000. Thank you for the discount though. Have a great day.
Gerald

However, the day may come, sooner rather than later, that you, or your heirs, may need to sell said books

Mr Rabitt Trick are you ill? I am looking for My Pretty Pony Signed Limited. please contact me or have your heir contact me. Sooner rather than later. I will need a very generous payment plan.

Thank YOu!

Bev Vincent
12-07-2016, 10:10 AM
More coverage: King is king at Gerald Winters & Son (http://www.themaineedge.com/biz/king-is-king-at-gerald-winters-son)

Pasiuk57
12-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Great coverage!

ICry4Oy
12-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Saw Gerald's post on Facebook last night and bit the bullet and ordered one today - MANY THANKS GERALD!!! ............always a pleasure to deal with!

Beverly Marsh
12-14-2016, 06:32 AM
I agree with John(and nice to see you sir, hope you're doing okay)and that's why I stay out of all of it.
I stopped by the store this past weekend to show my Mom(and not so subtly hint at xmas gifts)and to have a chat with Gerald. We had a very enlightening conversation about the HIS book launch event and other things. He has also added some of the airplane seats from The Langoliers to the store. I asked him to please keep an eye open for a certain book that I'm after and he's going to have it after the first of the year. Can't argue with that service! While I wish I could buy something every time I go in it's always a pleasure to stop by and say hi. Never fail to have a great talk!

herbertwest
12-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Gerald posted on facebook that he got a dummy prototype gunslinger from the DMG publications and a box of unused DJ & slipcases
>>> https://www.facebook.com/GWandSonBooks/posts/758134154368131

Randall Flagg
12-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Wow. 20 DJ's and 4 slipcases. I dare say the slipcases are worth >$1k each.

webstar1000
12-18-2016, 01:54 PM

10 slipcases

ke7285
12-18-2016, 02:04 PM
I have sent him email already about slipcase. My slipcase is not original, currently housed in a beautiful custom made sliding metal case made by members here.

Randall Flagg
12-18-2016, 02:16 PM

10 slipcases

Oops. Still worth over $1K IMO.

webstar1000
12-18-2016, 02:20 PM

10 slipcases

Oops. Still worth over $1K IMO.

I agree

TCCBodhi
12-18-2016, 07:17 PM
I would hope that they might perhaps first be offered to trackable owners of the original 500 S/Ls. If any copies can be made pristine, it should be those.....and no, I don't have one. What an amazing story though!

dnemec
12-19-2016, 07:02 AM
I liked Gerald's story on Facebook yesterday, which I think is totally amazing. A few hours my boyfriend comes in my office and said: "Wow, that story about Gerald is awesome. I'm not even a nerd and I know that!" :P

zelig
12-19-2016, 07:04 AM
It's an amazing story. Makes you wonder what other treasures are out there waiting to be discovered.

Brian861
12-19-2016, 07:06 AM
I liked Gerald's story on Facebook yesterday, which I think is totally amazing. A few hours my boyfriend comes in my office and said: "Wow, that story about Gerald is awesome. I'm not even a nerd and I know that!" :P

:lol:

Ben Mears
12-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Great story. Hope that more encounters like that occur for Gerald.

amd013
12-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Dang I wish this had happened a couple of weeks ago. Could have bought the slipcase for the matching number set I bought off of ebay. But alas due to the poor condition of the slipcase I returned the set.

Roseannebarr
12-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Dang I wish this had happened a couple of weeks ago. Could have bought the slipcase for the matching number set I bought off of ebay. But alas due to the poor condition of the slipcase I returned the set.

What was the number? I plan on buying a set soon. I want to stay away from that set. :) Thanks!

webstar1000
12-19-2016, 03:33 PM

The slipcases are not for sale alas:( I asked.

amd013
12-19-2016, 05:42 PM

What was the number? I plan on buying a set soon. I want to stay away from that set. :) Thanks!

Thanks,
Mike

you ever seen a ghost?
12-21-2016, 09:00 AM

Gerald

just...wow.

i was raised in the mountains of VA, so probably a bit more redneck than a lot of folks here, but two things I learned in my raisin':

1. don't pass up a good deal. someone says they can do something for a full grand less, you'd be a bit "touched" to pass that up
2. don't hold a grudge. especially not one that apparently passes on to future generations if i'm reading this correctly? we can learn a lesson from the Hatfields and McCoys perhaps

firemonkey66
12-27-2016, 06:18 PM
So I had been eyeballing that Bill Hodges Trilogy on Gerald's website and just kind of spontaneously decided to order it and a few other things on the afternoon of the 23rd (Christmas present to myself, I suppose). I fully expected it not to be shipped out until after Christmas, but I was pleasantly surprised to receive an order update e-mail with tracking just a few hours after I completed the transaction. Gerald managed to get it in the mail the same day and it arrived today with an extra little Christmas bonus included. Great items and great service that exceeded my expectations. Thank you, Gerald!

Merlin1958
12-27-2016, 07:24 PM
Gerald aims to please!!!

neo_trinity
12-28-2016, 09:21 AM
So I had been eyeballing that Bill Hodges Trilogy on Gerald's website and just kind of spontaneously decided to order it and a few other things on the afternoon of the 23rd (Christmas present to myself, I suppose). I fully expected it not to be shipped out until after Christmas, but I was pleasantly surprised to receive an order update e-mail with tracking just a few hours after I completed the transaction. Gerald managed to get it in the mail the same day and it arrived today with an extra little Christmas bonus included. Great items and great service that exceeded my expectations. Thank you, Gerald!

Thank you for your kind words Tony. I am glad it got there safely, considering there was a few other people sending parcels across the country. Happy New Year and I hope you enjoy the story.

Gerald

herbertwest
01-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Gerald recieved a box sent 32 years ago, wtf?
>>> https://www.facebook.com/GWandSonBooks/posts/771850779663135

webstar1000
01-12-2017, 07:28 AM
Yeah.. a couple of them it seems. I asked Gerald if he perhaps had bought those books years ago in anticipation of selling them. I got an "odd" reply... kind of making fun of my question maybe? I don't know for sure but I think that he wants to keep the answer to this close to his chest... thats ok though:) I think it is darn cool either way!

Theli
01-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Hahaha, great write up on his part. My guess is that he got them from someone, a printer or seller, who had a box tucked away somewhere, either on purpose or by accident. Great find at any rate.

Randall Flagg
01-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Yeah.. a couple of them it seems. I asked Gerald if he perhaps had bought those books years ago in anticipation of selling them. I got an "odd" reply... kind of making fun of my question maybe? I don't know for sure but I think that he wants to keep the answer to this close to his chest... thats ok though:) I think it is darn cool either way!
The box was sent to a bookstore (now a jewelry store (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.615362,-70.9381839,3a,37.5y,242.6h,80.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7CFTwF7pAG3cFSi6pww47A!3e11!6s %2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fmaps%2Fphotothumb%2Ffd%2Fv1 %3Fbpb%3DChAKDnNlYXJjaC5UQUNUSUxFEkAKEglBcv0UuuPki RHwFIpVkeSMsRIKDbb_zRgVL7O31RoSCdF2vAab4-SJEf3BUOA4koYZKgoNtv_NGBUvs7fVGgUIahCIAw%26gl%3DUS !7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1)) 32 years ago. At that time UPS requested Cash On Delivery. Either Gerald owned the bookstore, or acquired the box from someone who had the box. It could have changed hands numerous times.
The post was a bit tongue in cheek, so not knowing your specific question, or his answer, it all seems in good fun.

webstar1000
01-12-2017, 08:44 AM
The box was sent to a bookstore (now a jewelry store (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.615362,-70.9381839,3a,37.5y,242.6h,80.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7CFTwF7pAG3cFSi6pww47A!3e11!6s %2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fmaps%2Fphotothumb%2Ffd%2Fv1 %3Fbpb%3DChAKDnNlYXJjaC5UQUNUSUxFEkAKEglBcv0UuuPki RHwFIpVkeSMsRIKDbb_zRgVL7O31RoSCdF2vAab4-SJEf3BUOA4koYZKgoNtv_NGBUvs7fVGgUIahCIAw%26gl%3DUS !7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1)) 32 years ago. At that time UPS requested Cash On Delivery. Either Gerald owned the bookstore, or acquired the box from someone who had the box. It could have changed hands numerous times.
The post was a bit tongue in cheek, so not knowing your specific question, or his answer, it all seems in good fun.

Oh I thought so too. haha I just thought he might have bought them in the past which was my question... he does have a vast collection!

Beverly Marsh
01-13-2017, 04:59 AM

LOL, I saw that answer on FB
Gerald is being cheeky! :biggrin1:

Cwalker
01-13-2017, 06:41 AM
All 25 copies of Thinner sold for $425 each in 1 minute 18 seconds to one buyer.....

webstar1000
01-13-2017, 06:46 AM
All 25 copies of Thinner sold for $425 each in 1 minute 18 seconds to one buyer.....

I seen that. For some project being done in Bangor.. BUT not a rebound. Crazyness!

Theli
01-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Interesting...

Beverly Marsh
01-13-2017, 09:57 AM
I didn't realize those sold for that much.

That's awesome. Happy for Gerald and I love these local projects he(or someone)is plotting :)

Beverly Marsh
01-16-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm sure most of you know by now that Gerald bought 60 copies of the UK edition to give out to the children's wing at the big hospital in Bangor. Apparently some people are displeased with this which just kills me. His own money to give what is essentially a children's book out to actual children who are sick with not one string attached. Gee, what an evil thing to do. Good for him and I think it's fantastic. If things come together there may be other charitable happenings in the future again with him taking no profit.
I saw one of those Thinner firsts. I wanted to cry as it was so pristine. Perhaps we'll see them again.........

AKC
01-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Regarding the Thinners, there is a plan and it's a bit optimistic but, hey, good luck to those involved.

Beverly Marsh
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Regarding the Thinners, there is a plan and it's a bit optimistic but, hey, good luck to those involved.

Yes.....that's what I've heard. Not the actual plan or buyer yet but something may be coming. I hope so because I wanted one of those! :lol1:

webstar1000
01-16-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm sure most of you know by now that Gerald bought 60 copies of the UK edition to give out to the children's wing at the big hospital in Bangor. Apparently some people are displeased with this which just kills me. His own money to give what is essentially a children's book out to actual children who are sick with not one string attached. Gee, what an evil thing to do. Good for him and I think it's fantastic. If things come together there may be other charitable happenings in the future again with him taking no profit.
I saw one of those Thinner firsts. I wanted to cry as it was so pristine. Perhaps we'll see them again.........

Where has someone indicated that they were displeased? I read no negative comments here or on FB. I wonder where he came across that? Although it is a cool idea... The 1st,2nd or 3rd trades would have sufficed no? Anyways, I just cannot imagine anyone getting upset about Gerald doing what he wants with his money either way.

AKC
01-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Yes.....that's what I've heard. Not the actual plan or buyer yet but something may be coming. I hope so because I wanted one of those! :lol1:

Prepare to open the checkbook.....

Beverly Marsh
01-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Where has someone indicated that they were displeased? I read no negative comments here or on FB. I wonder where he came across that? Although it is a cool idea... The 1st,2nd or 3rd trades would have sufficed no? Anyways, I just cannot imagine anyone getting upset about Gerald doing what he wants with his money either way.
Your last sentence says it all. He bought and paid for them like everyone else, he can do whatever he wants with them. We all know they were signed by an employee so who gives a damn?
The whole thing just irks me a little. It's for charity people. Get over it.

Beverly Marsh
01-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Was it you Tim?? Lol.
Ya big tease :tongue1:

AKC
01-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Was it you Tim?? Lol.

Nope....just in-the-loop specific to the intentions. A project I will not be interested in but, some may be.

That's all I got. :)

Beverly Marsh
01-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Was it you Tim?? Lol.

Nope....just in-the-loop specific to the intentions. A project I will not be interested in but, some may be.

Dark and mysterious. I like that in a man. :biggrin:
It will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. Depends on pricing as I really just wanted one of those beautiful books as is.

Theli
01-16-2017, 12:29 PM
I think it's a damn cool thing of Gerald to do! Maybe it will be one of those books that snaps those kids out of a funk. It might even make a lifelong King or book collector out of one those young'uns!

Beverly Marsh
01-16-2017, 12:36 PM
I think it's a damn cool thing of Gerald to do! Maybe it will be one of those books that snaps those kids out of a funk. It might even make a lifelong King or book collector out of one those young'uns!
Amen Dan. +1
(I'm working on spreading it around so I owe you when I can! :rolleyes3: )

zelig
01-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Amen Dan. +1
(I'm working on spreading it around so I owe you when I can! :rolleyes3: )

I agree. I don't know any specifics, but it's preposterous that anyone would have a negative thing to say about Gerald donating copies of the book to the children's hospital. It's a very nice gesture on Gerald's part.

jonp
01-16-2017, 12:51 PM

Was it you Tim?? Lol.

Yes, interesting project. But again not for me. I'm sure all will be revealed soon.

wolfehr
01-16-2017, 12:53 PM
What was the justification for saying negative things? I'm having trouble fathoming why someone would object to donating books to sick children.

Randall Flagg
01-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Not sure if the controversy lies with my statement in another thread responding to an earlier post regarding Gerald apologizing for not being able to help with matching #'s for the books he donated.

Gerald can (and should) do anything he wants with his money (books). I just openly asked:

"What the hell does a sick child want a print for?"

My statement wasn't meant as a criticism, but as a question regarding a sick child enjoying the print, not the book itself. I questioned (and I still do) what if any additional pleasure a sick child would receive by the enclosed print.
It wasn't intended to disparage Gerald.

If you feel differently, feel free to say so. I can and will accept reasonable and even harsh criticism.

If it had nothing to do with my post, then we can move along.

Alec
02-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Received a very rare lettered edition from Gerald on Thursday.

Wonderful condition, very acceptable price and the usual first class attention to all other details.

Thank you Gerald, much appreciated.

Kindest regards
Alec.

Brian861
02-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Wonderful condition, very acceptable price and the usual first class attention to all other details.

Kindest regards
Alec.

Congrats, Alec!

Theli
02-06-2017, 06:45 AM

Kindest regards
Alec.

Can't wait to see what this rare lettered edition is!

wizardsrainbow
02-07-2017, 05:24 AM
Yes Alec...which one?

Beverly Marsh
02-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Wonder if it was the one on Facebook? Letter O perhaps?

webstar1000
02-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Wonder if it was the one on Facebook? Letter O perhaps?

Im a betting man:)

Alec
02-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Sorry I have not been on the site while your questions were being posted.
Gerald supplied me the lettered "Danse Macabre" from his collection. As always the quality was first class, it was a fine copy through all three aspects, book, glassine and slip case.
My sincere thanks to Gerald Winters & Son for obliging me with a particularly difficult book to find.
Alec.

Brian861
02-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Congrats, Alec!

webstar1000
02-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Congrats, Alec!

I shall second that!!!

zelig
02-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Congrats, Alec!

I shall second that!!!

And a third from me. I live vicariously through Alec's collecting adventures.

Theli
02-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Sorry I have not been on the site while your questions were being posted.
Gerald supplied me the lettered "Danse Macabre" from his collection. As always the quality was first class, it was a fine copy through all three aspects, book, glassine and slip case.
My sincere thanks to Gerald Winters & Son for obliging me with a particularly difficult book to find.
Alec.

Fantastic! Big congrats!

Merlin1958
02-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Well, I'm guessing poor old Gerald is buried under a foot of snow right now experiencing his first winter in the Northeast. Hey, G? It's 75 degrees here in chandler, AZ!!! :cool::wtf::coo3l:

Merlin1958
02-16-2017, 05:33 PM
FWIW, I have personally found, Gerald to be a fair minded and generous individual. Something I am sure you will all agree to in the not too distant future. Maybe "Judgement" should be reserved until all the facts are in play and available. FWIW keep a weather eye on this thread for some exciting things in the wings!!!

http://www.geraldwinters.com/about-us/

Randall Flagg
02-16-2017, 06:58 PM
FWIW, I have personally found, Gerald to be a fair minded and generous individual. Something I am sure you will all agree to in the not too distant future. Maybe "Judgement" should be reserved until all the facts are in play and available. FWIW keep a weather eye on this thread for some exciting things in the wings!!!

Bill, I am confused. No one here has disparaged Gerald. Comments and opinions have been posted, but nowhere do I see something saying his "Judgement" day is coming.
Your comment makes it seem like members here have wronged Gerald, and that we will be proven wrong.
I suggest you go have a cup of tea to relax.:grouphug:

Br!an
02-17-2017, 04:43 AM

Bill, I am confused. No one here has disparaged Gerald. Comments and opinions have been posted, but nowhere do I see something saying his "Judgement" day is coming.
Your comment makes it seem like members here have wronged Gerald, and that we will be proven wrong.
I suggest you go have a cup of tea to relax.:grouphug:

It does read that way. That's how I read it the first time through. I don't think that's what Bill meant though. Remove the "Judgement" sentence and it sounds like Gerald probably made a contribution to the Haven fundraiser.

Beverly Marsh
02-17-2017, 06:09 AM
I'm not sure where this came from either?
Stopped by a few weeks ago to visit and as always we had a great chat. And as always I now have something on layaway :biggrin: not to mention planning for the next thing once this is paid off.

Alec
02-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Gerald is fair minded and generous. I do not need to wait "until the not to distant future" to establish that in the present.
Similarly all the "facts are in play" and I can state without hesitation that there is nothing in Gerald's character other than honesty, charity, quality and the time to impart his wealth of knowledge to anyone that seeks it.

AKC
03-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Looks like it's all about the Lettered Regulators this week.

Gerald just posted pics of a copy that is passing through his store on Facebook/Twitter....

Randall Flagg
03-02-2017, 06:23 PM

Gerald just posted pics of a copy that is passing through his store on Facebook/Twitter....
Looks like Pasiuk sold his.

webstar1000
03-03-2017, 04:44 AM

Looks like Pasiuk sold his.

hmmmmm.

biomieg
04-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Lettered EOTD for sale! More info here: http://www.geraldwinters.com/the-eyes-of-the-dragon-lettered-edition-stephen-king/

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-31wr48c6hg/images/stencil/1024x1024/products/812/1200/eotd_lettered_3__48833.1492455603.jpg?c=2

zelig
04-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Beautiful.

bdwyer19
04-18-2017, 11:08 AM
That looks very cool. No price listed though. I wonder what market value is.

biomieg
04-18-2017, 11:13 AM
It will be established soon - bids are possible until next Wednesday...

(although I don't know if the price will be made public)

webstar1000
04-18-2017, 11:28 AM

I guess $3K... anyone else care to?

webstar1000
04-18-2017, 12:24 PM

Actually maybe more... so rare.... so tough.

amd013
04-18-2017, 12:44 PM
I kinda wished he was running the bidding like David did several months ago on several rare items from a seller. Basically didn't charge them the full price of the bid if there was a big delta between the top two bids.

Lot guy
04-18-2017, 12:56 PM
I would guess between 5-10k

Randall Flagg
04-18-2017, 01:33 PM
I would guess between 5-10k
Wide range, but I agree. There were 26 red and 26 black lettered (no black lettered editions confirmed), but King probably has most of them in storage somewhere.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-18-2017, 01:48 PM

One bid only and its Alec from this site... (prediction only)

herbertwest
04-25-2017, 11:22 AM
FINDERS KEEPERS broadside variant !
>>> https://www.facebook.com/GWandSonBooks/posts/838036256377920:0

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Doesn't much interest me.

Br!an
04-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Doesn't much interest me.

Awww, c'mon RF. It has extra advertising!!!

Randall Flagg
04-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Ok. I'll send several broadsides to Kris and have him print Dt.Org advertising on the back. Then they will be worth hundreds of dollars more.

herbertwest
04-26-2017, 12:23 AM
Good point !

webstar1000
04-26-2017, 02:59 AM
Ok. I'll send several broadsides to Kris and have him print Dt.Org advertising on the back. Then they will be worth hundreds of dollars more.

Have to agree. It would be VERY easy to print on the backs on the broadsides AND for relatively little money. Interesting item but anyone could do this very easily.

zelig
04-26-2017, 08:17 AM
With this item though, it isn't about how easy it is to replicate. For me, it's more about the little story behind its production and intended use. Certainly that version of the broadside, to me is desirable for a completist.

AKC
04-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Lettered EOTD for sale! More info here: http://www.geraldwinters.com/the-eyes-of-the-dragon-lettered-edition-stephen-king/

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-31wr48c6hg/images/stencil/1024x1024/products/812/1200/eotd_lettered_3__48833.1492455603.jpg?c=2

OFFER WINDOW CLOSED.....

St. Troy
04-26-2017, 08:52 AM
There were 26 red and 26 black lettered (no black lettered editions confirmed), but King probably has most of them in storage somewhere.

Are you saying the black lettered PP EOTDs may not even exist (or, if they do, SK might just have held on to them)? Sounds like there's an interesting story there - do tell.

Randall Flagg
04-26-2017, 08:55 AM
There were 26 red and 26 black lettered (no black lettered editions confirmed), but King probably has most of them in storage somewhere.

Are you saying the black lettered PP EOTDs may not even exist (or, if they do, SK might just have held on to them)? Sounds like there's an interesting story there - do tell.
There's not much to tell. It's believed, but not confirmed that there were 26 black lettered copies. We have seen a red lettered copy, but I have never seen a black one. If someone has proof either way, it would be a great help.

Aronstg
04-26-2017, 09:02 AM

There's not much to tell. It's believed, but not confirmed that there were 26 black lettered copies. We have seen a red lettered copy, but I have never seen a black one. If someone has proof either way, it would be a great help.

RF... I know you haven't personally seen this copy but if we can take Gerald as a reputable source, he did post this on his site shortly after offering the red lettered EOTD for sale:

"I have just learned today, since posting the Lettered Eyes of the Dragon, that Black Lettered copies do in fact exist.
A book collector provided me proof of the existence of both colors in their collection, so I have corrected my listing to highlight that Red Letters were reserved for family and Black Letters were reserved for close friends and associates in the publishing industry. Both are equally rare.
I am happy to learn something new everyday. I now know where one copy is located, but that leaves 25 more waiting to be discovered. Let the games begin..."

St. Troy
04-26-2017, 09:04 AM
Cool.

AKC
04-26-2017, 02:46 PM
I can confirm that a Black Lettered Edition does exist....

Randall Flagg
04-26-2017, 05:21 PM
No pic=hearsay.

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 03:01 AM
No pic=hearsay.

Nope. He is right. Black exists...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2017, 04:07 AM
No pic=hearsay.

We don't believe ANYONE on here. As RF said: No pic=hearsay :)

Johnny007
04-27-2017, 07:25 AM
No pic=hearsay.

We don't believe ANYONE on here. As RF said: No pic=hearsay :)

I will try to post a pic of a black lettered EOTD later today/tonight. They exist...

AKC
04-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Of course it does but hey, what do I know. :)

Thanks John and glad you are on the mend.

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 07:34 AM

So we know of more than 2 now....

Randall Flagg
04-27-2017, 07:58 AM

So we know of more than 2 now....

Presuming they exist, there are 26, and we know of at least two people who have one.

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Well looks like we are not going to be privy to the amount but...

"I just wanted to let any interested parties know that the Eyes of the Dragon Red Lettered Copy has sold for what I believe is the world's highest price attained for a Limited Edition book by Stephen King.

This is not taking into consideration manuscripts, typescripts, holographic notebooks with unpublished stories, proofs or trade editions with or without familial inscriptions, collections of letters, or ephemeral items that sell privately. I am referring to Limited Edition books that were published since Phantasia Press started with "Firestater" in 1980.

Both buyer and seller were very pleased with the outcome, and all going well, there will be further rare pieces to advertise in the future, when the seller is comfortable letting them go.

Thank you all.
Gerald"

Ari_Racing
04-27-2017, 10:31 AM
I LOVE collecting SK stuff and I enjoy learning new things everyday. But when I read things like this...well, I stop thinking I'm a serious collector! :D LOL

jcmanske
04-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Geez, when you think of the prices folks have paid for the Lettered Asbestos Firestarter edition and hear that it is north of what those bad boys go far, you are talking about very serious dollars. Impressive! Happy for all parties involved.

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Geez, when you think of the prices folks have paid for the Lettered Asbestos Firestarter edition and hear that it is north of what those bad boys go far, you are talking about very serious dollars. Impressive! Happy for all parties involved.

That shocks me greatly that someone would pay more for this than a lettered Firestarter! I wish we were privy to more info...

AKC
04-27-2017, 12:48 PM
I spoke with Gerald and can absolutely respect the requested discretion by both Buyer and Seller. The rare nature of this edition and the surrounding mystique specific to the limited, personal distribution by King certainly warrant the price.

Congratulations to both the Buyer and Seller for a win-win transaction. Doubt we will see another Red Lettered Edition exchange hands for quite some time.

Good stuff.

amd013
04-27-2017, 01:01 PM
I hope he/she didn't pay significantly more then the 2nd highest bidder. I don't think those types of auctions are fair. Just because you are willing to pay a lot more, doesn't mean you should have to.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-27-2017, 01:05 PM
I hope he/she didn't pay significantly more then the 2nd highest bidder. I don't think those types of auctions are fair. Just because you are willing to pay a lot more, doesn't mean you should have to.

Some people however, clearly have more money than sense.

herbertwest
04-27-2017, 01:31 PM
I remember a few years back (10? fuck time flies) speaking with the french bibliographer of King, and he told me that before ebay was popular, there was an auction website where you HAD to pay your highest auction and not just 50p more.
I guess that this + marketing was the way eBay managed to grab popularity.

Randall Flagg
04-27-2017, 02:27 PM

People can and will pay what they want (I think that is great). This was a fait accompli from the beginning. Gerald used the whole ruse about bids as a promotion. There is no doubt in my mind that the buyer was all along going to "win". Good for the buyer, and good for Gerald, but if they really want things to have "discretion", Gerald wouldn't be trumpeting the "highest price" aspect of it.

Randall Flagg
04-27-2017, 02:29 PM

Sadly I am not wealthy in either regard...

AKC
04-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Given that both the Buyer and Seller requested discretion specific to the exact selling price, Gerald chose to communicate the outcome of the process in a manner that, at a minimum, gave all interested non-participants an idea as to how it ended up.

We now have a general idea of the value of this item and those fortunate enough to have one in his/her collection should feel really good about the outcome....

Congrats again to Buyer, Seller and Gerald....

sentinel
04-27-2017, 04:33 PM
I totally agree with you, if he really wanted discretion we wouldn't be talking about the price at all.

Merlin1958
04-27-2017, 04:41 PM
I totally agree with you, if he really wanted discretion we wouldn't be talking about the price at all.

Just a thought, but maybe he is just trying to garner attention for the shop. Gotta be hard to make a go of it with a brick & mortar shop in, Maine. Maybe he just needs the publicity?

AKC
04-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Perhaps Gerald was simply attempting to convey to the collecting community, and specifically those that own a copy, a general idea of the current market value without revealing the actual sales price.

From my perspective, likely exercising the agreed upon discretion and I am sure the Buyer remains appreciative.

Merlin1958
04-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Perhaps Gerald was simply attempting to convey to the collecting community, and specifically those that own a copy, a general idea of the current market value without revealing the actual sales price.

From my perspective, likely exercising the agreed upon discretion and I am sure the Buyer remains appreciative.

Yeah, maybe. However, I bet he could use all the support he can get up there and we should try and provide it as his fellow members and friends, no?

AKC
04-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Absolutely.

As my prior posts indicate, I am extremely appreciative that Gerald shared the general details of the final results and respect that he continues to exercise discretion specific to his sales when asked to do so by the seller.

If he didn't say anything, all those interested would be complaining that no results were shared....

A final congrats to the Buyer and Seller and a thank you to Gerald for bringing this piece to the collecting community.

Randall Flagg
04-27-2017, 05:27 PM

Just a thought, but maybe he is just trying to garner attention for the shop. Gotta be hard to make a go of it with a brick & mortar shop in, Maine. Maybe he just needs the publicity?
Gerald doesn't impress me as an unintelligent or foolish person. Please don't ask me to feel sorry or exude sympathy for his decision to open a B&M in Bangor Maine.

Cook
04-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Oh please, really?
This is total bullshit, Total magical crap.
Why does everyone pander to this?

T-Dogz_AK47
04-27-2017, 09:06 PM

Exactly! Loudly announcing the sale of an extremely rare King book, is hardly being discrete. :nope:

As my prior posts indicate, I am extremely appreciative that Gerald shared the general details of the final results and respect that he continues to exercise discretion specific to his sales when asked to do so by the seller.

Of course you are appreciative. You probably own a copy, so profit from knowing about its general sale value... :orely:

We now have a general idea of the value of this item and those fortunate enough to have one in his/her collection should feel really good about the outcome....

Yeah, I'm sure you feel really good about the outcome. :rolleyes:

If he didn't say anything, all those interested would be complaining that no results were shared....

If he didn't say anything, then nobody would know about it to complain. :doh:

Oh please, really?
This is total bullshit, Total magical crap.
Why does everyone pander to this?

+ 1 on this. :thumbsup:

wizardsrainbow
04-29-2017, 07:01 AM
Here is a picture of a BLACK Lettered Eyes of the Dragon, and NO I do not own this book....I wish.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/eyesdragonblackletter.jpg

wizardsrainbow
04-29-2017, 07:05 AM
And a red Lettered EOTD...again, not mine

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/eyesdragonredletter.jpg

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Here is a picture of a BLACK Lettered Eyes of the Dragon, and NO I do not own this book....I wish.

I'm not sure about this. The Letter "N" is larger and in the wrong place, than any other I have seen. I suspect that someone has written the letter in themselves. I have no evidence of any foul play, just a hunch.

webstar1000
04-29-2017, 09:08 AM

I'm not sure about this. The Letter "N" is larger and in the wrong place, than any other I have seen. I suspect that someone has written the letter in themselves. I have no evidence of any foul play, just a hunch.

Omg.. seriously? Please

Randall Flagg
04-29-2017, 10:10 AM
The letter "N" is in an odd place, but without seeing numerous other lettered copies, it's impossible to say for sure.

Johnny007
04-30-2017, 08:18 AM

David,

Thanks for posting the picture of N. I am having a problem with Adobe, Image Shack and the site. My lack IT knowledge strikes again!

For those questioning the legitimacy of letter N, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know at least 2/3 of the provenance and I am 100% certainty that it is legitimate. There were numerous anomalies surrounding the Philtrum EOTDs -- including signatures. I, too, would like to see more lettered EOTDs but I don't think they will come to the market until some of the current owners pass. And I wish nothing like that for anyone!

FWIW, I bid on the lettered E book. I thought I had a very good chance of winning but it was not to be. However, it does not surprise me that someone with very deep pockets overbid me. Not having this book does not diminish my collection and no one else here should feel that way. There are few Charlie Fried, Bob Jackson, Chris Cavalier, Dave Hutcheson, or Gerald Winter-type collections. They were/are great collections but they should not make anyone's collection (or anyone themselves) in any way inferior. Be proud of what you have and don't let anything take away from your collecting efforts! My two cents...

John

webstar1000
05-04-2017, 08:45 AM
WOW... Gerald just posted a local chap brought a box of un-opened 1st IT's into his store... OMG.. Can you imagine??????????? He bought them. I hope they go for sale... I WANT ONE. :rock:

St. Troy
05-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Nah; these "unopened 1st Its" are either A) nonexistent (no photos, after all) or B) have already been sold and he's just teasing us with them in order to drum up attention.

(or so I expect some out there are thinking right now...)

stroppygoblin
05-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Nah; these "unopened 1st Its" are either A) nonexistent (no photos, after all) or B) have already been sold and he's just teasing us with them in order to drum up attention.

There are photos.

St. Troy
05-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Photos are easily faked.

(note in case it's not obvious: I'm not actually skeptical of GW.)

dnemec
05-04-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm sure they are real, but I suspect that if a deal isn't in place, it's in the works.

webstar1000
05-04-2017, 09:31 AM

There is photos everytime he posts. LOTS of them. I am not sure what your referring to....

St. Troy
05-04-2017, 09:36 AM
My sarcastic posts were mocking the undeserved skepticism and shade being tossed Winters' way earlier in this thread.

Roseannebarr
05-04-2017, 10:03 AM
My sarcastic posts were mocking the undeserved skepticism and shade being tossed Winters' way earlier in this thread.

Some of the skepticism is deserved. Please do not attack me for stating a few concerns i have about his business. Rest assured he is very nice guy, but some of his business decisions make me scratch my head... He does have a great future in story telling though...

Three examples come to mind....

He is marketing to a very specific collector - Stephen King collectors....

1. He purchased 3 (maybe more) cases of Charlie the Choo and will be distributing them to sick children in a hospital. I admire him greatly for that, but he posted that collectors might not understand his desire to leave these books unopened for these kids the joy to open them! I do not understand his desire to leave the books sealed. but they are his books and he specifically addressed our concerns, so it is up for debate or palaver. They are kids and we are obsessive collectors, i would open the books, record the numbers, and let collectors trade or buy the books, seal the books and then donate the books to the kids.

2. He purchased a case of books THINNER, posted about them and said they would be up for sale ( i might be wrong about this, but i thought they would be up for sale, could be my fault for assuming), then sold them to 1 collector/dealer. His right to do so, but as a collector, i watched for the sale only to be shut out by one buyer.

3. NLR was listed by him a few years ago, only to be pulled only I assume because of comments on this site. I was anxious at the time to buy this, but pulled for a variety of reasons (before he was a book seller and subject to trying to please a customer base)

If i owned a Stephen King store, i would reach out to a small but loyal base on this website, but maybe he has his reasons. But i am sure David can attest, you must HAVE thick skin when dealing with a passionate and loyal fan base.

If someone is negative or does not like your business practices, you can choose to ignore them or face them head on like CD, PS Publishing and Betts does on a regular basis on this site.

Gerald has been very nice to me in the past, and has responded to all my requests, etc... I do not harbour any grudge or ill feeling toward him or his shop, just wanted to point out a few things that i do not fully understand or need to. It is not my store.

That being said, i would love to be able to purchase a fine copy of IT before a rich benefactor buys them all and makes a neat (profit) project out of these sought after books.

webstar1000
05-04-2017, 10:08 AM

Some of the skepticism is deserved. Please do not attack me for stating a few oddities about his business. Rest assured he is very nice guy, but some of his business decisions make me scratch my head...

Two examples come to mind....

He is marketing to a very specific collector - Stephen King collectors....

1. He purchased 3 (maybe more) cases of Charlie the Choo and will be distributing them to sick children in a hospital. I admire him greatly for that, but he posted that collectors might not understand his desire to leave these books unopened for these kids the joy to open them! I do not understand his desire to leave the books sealed. but they are his books and he specifically addressed our concerns, so it is up for debate or palaver. They are kids and we are obsessive collectors, i would open the books, record the numbers, and let collectors trade or buy the books, seal the books and then donate the books to the kids.

2. He purchased a case of books THINNER, posted about them and said they would be up for sale, then sold them to 1 collector. His right to do so, but as a collector, i watched for the sale only to be shut out by one buyer.

3. If i owned a Stephen King store, i would reach out to a small but loyal base on this website, but maybe he has his reasons. But i am sure David can attest, you must HAVE thick skin when dealing with a passionate and loyal fan base.

If someone is negative or does not like your business practices, you can choose to ignore them or face them head on like CD, PS Publishing and Betts does on a regular basis on this site.

Gerald has been very nice to me in the past, and has responded to all my requests, etc... I do not harbour any grudge or ill feeling toward him or his shop, just wanted to point out a few things that i do not fully understand or need to. It is not my store.

That being said, i would love to be able to purchase a fine copy of IT before a rich benefactor buys them all and makes a neat (profit) project out of these sought after books.

Interesting post. It brings about thoughts on the rare find of the 20 off slinger jackets and 10 (I think) S/L slip cases for said book. I know of a few people that could have benefited (and paid handsomely) from this find but after showing us and the King collecting world... Gerald said none were for sale. I was puzzled no question.... but at the end of the day they are his items and his decision to do with as he pleases, as well as the Thinners. the IT's and his Choo Choo's. All we can do is respect that.... whether he owns a store or not.. they are HIS items, not ours.

webstar1000
05-04-2017, 10:09 AM

Ahhh my bad. Apologies.

Randall Flagg
05-04-2017, 10:15 AM
I agree with Roseannebarre ' s thoughts.

Roseannebarr
05-04-2017, 10:16 AM
[/QUOTE]

Interesting post. It brings about thoughts on the rare find of the 20 off slinger jackets and 10 (I think) S/L slip cases for said book. I know of a few people that could have benefited (and paid handsomely) from this find but after showing us and the King collecting world... Gerald said none were for sale. I was puzzled no question.... but at the end of the day they are his items and his decision to do with as he pleases, as well as the Thinners. the IT's and his Choo Choo's. All we can do is respect that.... whether he owns a store or not.. they are HIS items, not ours.[/QUOTE]

Good job in summarizing my thoughts exactly! and much more succinctly.

peripheral
05-05-2017, 03:07 AM
It does seem to rain boxes of unopened, mint King collectibles in Bangor, Maine...

jsmcmullen92
05-05-2017, 05:26 AM
Complete Speculation Ahead

Could he be getting boxes of unopened books from King himself? It my memory serves me right (I'm sure Br!an or Stroppy will have the post ready if it exists) Gerald was at the NLR party where King distributed the books. That being said it would make either him or someone he knows as close friend or relative of King to be invited to such event. He may have friends in high places where he can source these crazy collectibles.

webstar1000
05-05-2017, 05:47 AM

Could he be getting boxes of unopened books from King himself? It my memory serves me right (I'm sure Br!an or Stroppy will have the post ready if it exists) Gerald was at the NLR party where King distributed the books. That being said it would make either him or someone he knows as close friend or relative of King to be invited to such event. He may have friends in high places where he can source these crazy collectibles.

I am going to say no... and here is why. Gerald REALLY is hoping King visits. He does posts on FB all the time about him stopping in. Neat things he tries (he has a Stephen King chair like a directors chair he puts out front of his shop for instance) to incite him to stop by. I am shocked King has not as of yet but probably because King is in Florida for the most part for the winter. I have spoke to him on King stopping by actually... I think it would be a very very big deal for him (and his shop) for King to make that visit. Just my thoughts.. but very cool idea for sure.

St. Troy
05-05-2017, 06:52 AM
...He may have friends in high places where he can source these crazy collectibles.

Sounds like a characteristic a collector would like to see in a dealer.

Ari_Racing
05-05-2017, 06:59 AM
I think it's more simple: contact retailers, distributors and owners of bookstores from decades ago that you might have contact with, ask for old boxes with stuff not sold or distributed and offer a good deal. Almost ten years ago I visited Grant Books and I saw A LOT of things that weren't for sale. It's not hard to picture that in one box there are The Gunslinger DJs, or slipcases, or whatever. Then you add some sparks around the item and it's done.

By the way, the buyer of the Thinner copies wasn't a collector but Pete from PS Publishing. And these were announced for sale with some variations I can't remember right now.

Roseannebarr
05-05-2017, 07:34 AM
I am reading Song of Susannah (1/2 way through). Calvin Tower is my favorite character. Reminds me of some the booksellers i have encountered. Books too precious to sell, priced to high so they dont sell, etc... Now that i think about it, reminds me of several booksellers in Bridgeton, Sarasota and Bangor! One Bookstore lady in particular thought i was extremely rude to wait outside of a bookstore to ask King for a signature (for one book), when she had him trapped inside signing all of her stock (which she pointed out to me) and said several will be going into her personal collection. Irony much??? We have since became best friends.

Book Collectors and Book Sellers are a strange breed.

webstar1000
05-05-2017, 07:44 AM
I am reading Song of Susannah (1/2 way through). Calvin Tower is my favorite character. Reminds me of some the booksellers i have encountered. Books too precious to sell, priced to high so they dont sell, etc... Now that i think about it, reminds me of several booksellers in Bridgeton, Sarasota and Bangor! One Bookstore lady in particular thought i was extremely rude to wait outside of a bookstore to ask King for a signature (for one book), when she had him trapped inside signing all of her stock (which she pointed out to me) and said several will be going into her personal collection. Irony much??? We have since became best friends.

Book Collectors and Book Sellers are a strange breed.

Man your very lucky... I cannot imagine bumping into King for a sig!! You have like a 100 times!!

herbertwest
05-05-2017, 08:07 AM
I think it's more simple: contact retailers, distributors and owners of bookstores from decades ago that you might have contact with, ask for old boxes with stuff not sold or distributed and offer a good deal. Almost ten years ago I visited Grant Books and I saw A LOT of things that weren't for sale. It's not hard to picture that in one box there are The Gunslinger DJs, or slipcases, or whatever. Then you add some sparks around the item and it's done.

By the way, the buyer of the Thinner copies wasn't a collector but Pete from PS Publishing. And these were announced for sale with some variations I can't remember right now.

I think that the price was an extra 300$ or so from Gerald's price, but PS is providing a slipcase.

Here they are : £325 ($420)
> http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/thinner-1984-first-edition-hardcover-by-richard-bachman-4265-p.asp

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-05-2017, 11:08 PM
I think that the price was an extra 300$ or so from Gerald's price, but PS is providing a slipcase.
> http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/thinner-1984-first-edition-hardcover-by-richard-bachman-4265-p.asp

Bet he still has over 20 left. They don't even have the band which collectors want with this book.

peripheral
05-05-2017, 11:25 PM

Bet he still has over 20 left. They don't even have the band which collectors want with this book.

Just did a check by filling my cart on the PS website. Insofar that process is accurate, 9 are left...

stroppygoblin
05-06-2017, 12:18 AM

Gerald was not much of a King collector at that point. And the person who invited him is no longer with us i'm sorry to say.

Kingfan24
05-06-2017, 05:03 AM
Lol 325 pounds for a slipcase and a note saying what letter this nonspecial first edition is. What a joke.

ke7285
05-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Interesting post. It brings about thoughts on the rare find of the 20 off slinger jackets and 10 (I think) S/L slip cases for said book. I know of a few people that could have benefited (and paid handsomely) from this find but after showing us and the King collecting world... Gerald said none were for sale. I was puzzled no question.... but at the end of the day they are his items and his decision to do with as he pleases, as well as the Thinners. the IT's and his Choo Choo's. All we can do is respect that.... whether he owns a store or not.. they are HIS items, not ours.[/QUOTE]

Good job in summarizing my thoughts exactly! and much more succinctly.[/QUOTE]
I have not been to his store, but I have not seen any of these for sale. I messaged him the first day he posted about the cover's and slipcase's. I own #367 The Gunslinger without the original slipcase, I do own a original unfolded cover though.

Merlin1958
05-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Just an observation, but I thought it worth pointing out just for Info purposes only. First, it is my understanding that, Gerald no longer supports this thread, not posts in it. It is perpetuated by the members, FWIW. Second, whatever your personal thoughts or feelings (which you are entitled to) the man has a wife and child to support and, at least to my knowledge, has done nothing overtly or covertly wrong to any here or his customer base for that matter.

I'm just saying, buy/don't buy, but lets not cast any unfound rumors or speculation that may have an adverse effect upon his ability to support his family. Just a thought, not a rant.

zelig
05-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Well said Bill.

Roseannebarr
05-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Just an observation, but I thought it worth pointing out just for Info purposes only. First, it is my understanding that, Gerald no longer supports this thread, not posts in it. It is perpetuated by the members, FWIW. Second, whatever your personal thoughts or feelings (which you are entitled to) the man has a wife and child to support and, at least to my knowledge, has done nothing overtly or covertly wrong to any here or his customer base for that matter.

I'm just saying, buy/don't buy, but lets not cast any unfound rumors or speculation that may have an adverse effect upon his ability to support his family. Just a thought, not a rant.

I think you were missing my point. I would LOVE for him to support this thread, and this website. I would like to better understand his business practice, model and his marketing methods. I just don't understand them. and it is not my business to understand them. When he post these wonderful STORIES and his wonderful finds, I would like to be able to support his business and buy these marvelous things HENSE my POST. I would love an unopened, untouched copy of IT.

Thus my post and begging for a chance to buy a copy (at a price I could afford). As collectors, we want him to succeed, this is our Hobby, but his business. We enjoy hearing his stories, his finds and his insights. Why post these great items and not sell? More of a curiosity question, definitely not an attack.

I have not seen anyone post on this site about shady business practices, claiming to own items he does not or try to sell items he does not have authority to sell. My guess is that would be documented in sellers/buyers to avoid if he did.

Merlin1958
05-07-2017, 08:36 PM

I think you were missing my point. I would LOVE for him to support this thread, and this website. I would like to better understand his business practice, model and his marketing methods. I just don't understand them. and it is not my business to understand them. When he post these wonderful STORIES and his wonderful finds, I would like to be able to support his business and buy these marvelous things HENSE my POST. I would love an unopened, untouched copy of IT.

Thus my post and begging for a chance to buy a copy (at a price I could afford). As collectors, we want him to succeed, this is our Hobby, but his business. We enjoy hearing his stories, his finds and his insights. Why post these great items and not sell? More of a curiosity question, definitely not an attack.

I have not seen anyone post on this site about shady business practices, claiming to own items he does not or try to sell items he does not have authority to sell. My guess is that would be documented in sellers/buyers to avoid if he did.

Exactly. His business is hid business and he doesn't owe an explanation to anyone other than those that are currently buying if them.. The notion that we should somehow be involved in his business dealings is wrong.

Roseannebarr
05-07-2017, 08:54 PM

Exactly. His business is hid business and he doesn't owe an explanation to anyone other than those that are currently buying if them.. The notion that we should somehow be involved in his business dealings is wrong.

I never get on facebook, my wife showed me how to do it just now. Forget all my posts above. He stated on Facebook that the IT books will not be for sale.

Merlin1958
05-07-2017, 09:03 PM
I don't either. I only generally go on FB to see pictures of my, Grandsons!!! lol lol I have had some dealings with, Gerald and he is quirky, but he seems to have his heart in the right place. He is entitled to run his business as he see's fit, regardless of our opinions or advice which he can either heed or not. His choice. I, for my part, get along with him. Others mat not. No judgement, but no need to speculate on issues that may prove to be detrimental to his ability to support his family, no?

As I understand it, as far as he is concerned if this thread were to be deleted it would not be a bad thing.

Randall Flagg
05-08-2017, 04:46 AM
Perhaps since Gerald doesn't want to promote his site through this thread, then the thread should be archived. If he has something of note, it can be mentioned in the Intriguing Auctions thread.

Alec
05-08-2017, 04:50 AM
If you are going to display items that are not for sale, then surely this belongs in the "My Stephen King Collection".

St. Troy
05-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Perhaps since Gerald doesn't want to promote his site through this thread, then the thread should be archived.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but does this thread exist for him or for us (TDT readers etc.)?

Roseannebarr
05-08-2017, 05:33 AM
I thought this thread was for everyone! A great place for gerald to promote his store and for us to comment on our experience in dealing with and visiting the only king specific store. I like to hear his STORIES and see how others are getting great finds from his store. I like this thread.

Roseannebarr
05-08-2017, 05:38 AM
I have no doubt that King be visiting his store and do asigning if you watch his Facebook and his website he knows how to promote the store and draw attention to his desire for a signing in Bangor bye king I just don't understand his lack of Interest on this site I hope to attend a book signing in Bangor at his store

webstar1000
05-08-2017, 05:45 AM
I thought this thread was for everyone! A great place for gerald to promote his store and for us to comment on our experience in dealing with and visiting the only king specific store. I like to hear his STORIES and see how others are getting great finds from his store. I like this thread.

Why would you archive this thread? Might as well do CD's, Bett's... all of them then. Sorry but that doesn't make sense....

stroppygoblin
05-08-2017, 07:19 AM
As the thread was not started by Gerald (by Bev Vincent actually) I dont see any reason to archive it. It serves as a place to discuss new items that Gerald may or may not have for sale and assists those members who dont have, (or choose not to have) a Facebook or Twitter account.

herbertwest
05-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Perhaps since Gerald doesn't want to promote his site through this thread, then the thread should be archived. If he has something of note, it can be mentioned in the Intriguing Auctions thread.

I don't see any reason why. WE can all talk about him, his shop, anything he sells etc.