PDA

View Full Version : King land marks

Matt
05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Where have you been?

I thought of this in another thread. :lol:

I have been through the Eisenhower Tunnel and to the hotel where the Shining was filmed. :pirate:

I'm sheltered.

ZoNeSeeK
05-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I havent been to any :( Im sure everyone will chip in for two return tickets to the USA though :) only about AU$5200!

Rjeso
05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I've been to the Metrodome that is mentioned when Pete busts his knee up in Dreamcatcher....

;)

Jean
05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
I have been to Crouch End.

It was a rather funny and creepy story; I wrote a report but I don't think if I can post it here, it is long.

Ruki
05-15-2007, 06:33 AM
i remember reading thatm, it was weird. till then i hadn't realized crouch end was a real place. now i wanna go there.

Hannah
05-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Where have you been?

I thought of this in another thread. :lol:

I have been through the Eisenhower Tunnel and to the hotel where the Shining was filmed. :pirate:

I'm sheltered.

Same here!

The Shining was actually not filmed in the Stanley Hotel. It was filmed at some hotel in Oregon, they just used the Stanley for outdoor shots. But the miniseries was filmed there. So it's a win/win situation.

Matt
05-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Eeek!!

That makes total sense. The outside is really scary though. :lol:

Hannah
05-15-2007, 07:45 AM
I didn't know that until Aaron told me that. It thoroughly disappointed me. I was like "but the outside, not the inside?" It took a while to sink in.

Spencer
05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I need to go to the Spider Web gate someday.

Ruki
05-17-2007, 05:30 AM
The Shining was actually not filmed in the Stanley Hotel. It was filmed at some hotel in Oregon, they just used the Stanley for outdoor shots. But the miniseries was filmed there. So it's a win/win situation.

the outdoor shots from the kubrick version of the shining were filmed at the timberline lodge in oregon. the stanley hotel was used for the miniseries, and it's much cooler because it's actually the hotel sk was writing about.

Matt
05-17-2007, 05:56 AM
That's what I always loved about it. Aside from the movies, it was the actual hotel from the book. :D

Grillslinger
05-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Here is the SK tour I put together for Google Earth. Makes sure you have your "Best of 3-d Warehouse" layer turned on, because a couple of the landmarks show up as 3-d models that way.

I'll be updating it from time to time, and post on this thread when new locations have been added.

http://thegrillslinger.com/images/misc/StephenKingTour.kmz
Enjoy!

Baradin
05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Ya know, I always wished that Derry actually existed. I would so go there in a heartbeat.

The only story landmark I've been to is from a different author (night breed - I live in Calgary where the story is set :D) so I needsta be travelling more.

ZoNeSeeK
05-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Odetta lives in Calgary too :)

Grillslinger
05-17-2007, 07:53 PM
I've also been to The Stanley. Such a creepy place!

Matt
05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Are you from around here at all grillslinger?

Colorado I mean?

Grillslinger
05-18-2007, 12:04 PM
No...my wife (also a King fan) bought us plane tickets and made reservations at the Stanley. I live near Dallas, TX. I do have an artist frind in the Co. Area who actually sold a painting she did of the Stanley to Stephen King.

Matt
05-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow!!

That is amazing. Its like...1 degree of separation from the man himself.

Odetta
05-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Ya know, I always wished that Derry actually existed. I would so go there in a heartbeat.

The only story landmark I've been to is from a different author (night breed - I live in Calgary where the story is set :D) so I needsta be travelling more.

Odetta lives in Calgary too :)

I just saw this! Which would explain the Calgary Flames jersey in your av...

Grillslinger
05-18-2007, 01:56 PM

Take a look at the Google Earth Tour. Derry is Bangor, Maine.

The Standpipe, The Barrens, The Canal, The Paul Bunyan Statue, Bassey Park...thy're all there...along with King's home of course!

bangoskank1
06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
If so I would like to hear about it..
I have....and heres part one of my story....My name is James and I'm a Teamster in the historic city of Boston, Ma....As I was born and raised here it is not uncommon for us yanks to travel throughout the 6 states that make up New England...one being Maine. As the state itself is only about a 50 minute drive from here I have been there on many occasion in my life. On a few of these occasions I made the 6 hour trip to the city of Bangor to West Broadway to visit...you guessed it...Sai Kings house himself...My first was my most memorable in many ways. You see, I have been a King fan as long as I literally remember...My wife...not so much...so it was after many promises of " I'll stop at any store you want along the way" and "Ya know they have a nice tax free mall along the way" and still " I'll even stop at all the rest areas along the way so you can pee"...I was granted the honor of her company for the long ride up...wow was I ever not thinking clearly on that one...The ride out of Mass. was mostly uneventful save for the guy at the border of New Hampshire who I swear was Trashcan man...It was at this rest stop, or welcoming station if you would, that my troubling chain of events began...At this particular one that crosses into the state of New Hampshire it was I who had to pee..this would be the first of what turned out to be more than a few stops on the way up...I left my wife and daughter in the car and proceeded into the building, listening to the laughter and mockery from my my family of being the only male in history to have to pee before the ladies fade away, as I entered..It was on the way in I passed Trashcan man...I did my duty (no pun here) and walked back outside....to my horror the car was gone...along with my family...along with Trashcan man..Standing in the spot where my car was just 1 minute ago I remembered I left the keys in the car...In this world of looneys and not to mention crazy woodsie people, how could I ever leave my keys in the car for my family to be taken away??Naturally I panicked...I did a complete circle in that one spot scanning the area...nothing but trees...and the building of course...I can feel my hairs on my arms raising now as I write this memory....My god what was I to do...My family was kidnapped by Trashcan man and it was all my fault to boot...I ran back into the building and upon entering and doing a quick scan for the customer service desk so I could run and demand they help me oh please help me... I noticed another set of exit doors directly opposite of me...with my heart beating even more and my brow forming nice beads of sweat I ran to this set of doors and looked out....There was my car....with my family in it...oblivious to my horrific ordeal.....and there beyond all of this was Trashcan man...sitting at a picnic table talking to whoever it was he thought was sitting with him just as innocent as can be..Apparantly the landscape and building itself is exactly yht same on both sides...A little minor detail I learned the hard way. After regaining my composure and trying not to look so frazzled around the few people here picking up thier maps and brochures for Santas Village I exited the building...I walked back to the car just as cool as Roland himself and got back inside...I remember my wife questioning why I was sweating so much (did I mention it was in the middle of a New England winter?)..as I mumbled something about splashing water on my face for the sake of all humanity I started the car and put the shifter in reverse...I never told either my wife or my daughter what I had just been through...I had been laughed at a little too much for even stopping as it was...little did I know....The fun was only beginning.......

to be continued.....

nordh
06-26-2008, 05:34 AM
I think I just got hit by a wall of text. I really can't read that. Would you please use some linebreaks?

ManOfWesternesse
06-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Very good bangoskank, I look forward to further installments!

Nerak
06-26-2008, 06:08 AM
That is TOO funny!!!

That's a nice rest stop too! LOL

bangoskank1
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
stay tuned....

Jon
07-29-2008, 12:18 AM
I drive through the obscure, Daleville, Indiana, from The Stand, every day.