PDA

View Full Version : Carnivale

CyberGhostface
02-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Did anyone watch this show when it was on? It was really fantastic, but HBO cancelled after its second season. :doh: If you can get it a good price, I highly reccommend getting the DVDs.

Heather19
02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I love this show. I really wish it lasted longer than it did. Especially because there was so much unanwered at the end.

Ruki
02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
best show ever

childeluke
02-03-2008, 06:39 PM
YES YES YES! I'm a carny. I've made over 30 people watch both seasons. I think i've watched through the series at least 6 times

Mike Beck
02-03-2008, 07:17 PM
one of the best shows ever made ever. hbo effed us good. two seasons? it died the same death as twin peaks!

i still have brother justin nightmares. :(

Darkthoughts
02-04-2008, 06:03 AM
I've seen this boxset for sale in my local supermarket...but won't I be really frustrated if I get into it?

Brice
02-04-2008, 06:07 AM
I've seen this boxset for sale in my local supermarket...but won't I be really frustrated if I get into it?

Yes, you will, but you'll still enjoy the hell out of it. Buy it!

I have season one and was gonna' get season two, but so far I haven't been able to find it at a good price. I saw the first season a couple months back for the first time. I have yet to see the second.

CPU
02-04-2008, 07:23 AM
I've only had the pleasure of seeing a couple of episodes (from the 2nd season I believe). I thought it was awesome.

CyberGhostface
02-04-2008, 07:54 AM
For a short time Amazon was selling both of them fro 20 bucks apiece...they're back to their regular price, but keep an eye out.

Mike Beck
02-04-2008, 11:09 AM
the second season is better than the 1st, but the entire 2 seasons are incredible. The acting, the feel of the times, the buildup of an epic confrontation, and the music. all amazing. :)

darkthoughts, i think this show might be right up your alley.

Hannah
02-04-2008, 04:36 PM
its definitely worth watching. good show.

HBO tends to piss me off when they end shows before they should like Carnivale (total cliffhanger ending) and Deadwood (not so much of a cliffhanger ending, but still...)

Ruki
02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
the cliffhanger was dan knauf's nice little fuck you present to hbo. they told him to wrap the story up in that last episode but he did it his way thinking he'd find a way to continue the series.

OchrisO
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Cancelling Carnivale was almost the worst thing that HBO ever did. The worst thing they ever did was saying in a press release that they thought "The story had been told." I really don't see how they can sling taht big bag of bullshit around given how season 2 ended. :\

I want a Carnivale movie to wrap up the story like Joss Whedon did with Serenity.

Erin
02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Carnivale is awesome! I totally love Sampson, especially in the 2nd season. He's so kick ass.

OchrisO
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
No p. :P

Daghain
02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Argh. I have been trying to avoid this one, because it was canceled, but you are all taunting me with it now. :lol:

OchrisO
02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
It is still very much worth watching.

Darkthoughts
02-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Ok, sold! :D

Brice
02-05-2008, 03:06 AM
Ok, sold! :D

Good! :excited: Now run and get it...NOW. :dance:

Darkthoughts
02-05-2008, 03:23 AM
*runs*

Brice
02-05-2008, 03:39 AM
:huglove: You won't regret it.

Ruki
02-05-2008, 05:32 AM
I want a Carnivale movie to wrap up the story like Joss Whedon did with Serenity.

knauf won't do it, hbo offered him a movie and he said hell no, can't fit the next several seasons worth of story into one little movie.

Mike Beck
02-05-2008, 06:07 AM
yeah, i had also read somewhere that the entirety of the show is supposed to span almost 10 years? 5 or 6 seasons of storyline.

oh and for anyone who's already seen the show...

QUOTE ("Daniel Knauf")
Of course you're owed something, but not a cheap slap in the face like
a quick, bloodless rundown of what happens to the characters through
the end of the story.

Carnivale has never been about the destination. After all, look
around. We're all still here, so we know the devil didn't have his
day and bring on Armegeddon, despite the successful tests at
Alamogordo. The destination is self-evident.

You want to know the end of the story? Look in the mirror.

No, Carnivale is and always has been about the journey. And that is
all in the telling.

In order to protect the telling, I won't ever release a "quick
digest" of future plots. And it would be BS anyway if I did, because
even though I may know the "recipe," the actual "cooking" happens in a
room with other writers, all of whom add their own ingredients. And
then there's the directors, who brings stuff to the party. And the
department heads, of course. And the actors, who have a huge impact
on interpreting the characters' behavior.

So I'll be taking a tip from J.K. Rowling, and the tale will stay
inside my head until the opportunity comes around that will allow me
to finish it and do it justice. Please do not ask me. My least
favorite word in the English language is "no," but I'll use it. Again
and again and again and isn't that boring? My lips are sealed.

All except for this because, damnit, it's just not fair to leave you
hanging:

(SPOILER SPACE)

Neither Ben nor Justin are dead.

Jonesy recovers from the gunshot wound.

D.

i think that's kinda neat.

ZoNeSeeK
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Mike: its 6 seasons, and theyre already written and ready to go. I get itchy thinking about it.

Yeah, there's alot of material out there from HBO regarding Carnivale - HBO execs loved the series aswell - according to their economic policy a 2nd season should never have been made because of the poor ratings of the first but they gave it another chance and tried to get it going but it remained with cult ratings only :( Who knows, the only thing that would ever bring it back was if HBO had success with similarly themed shows in the future, you know, anything for them to go "Carnivale might sell now". Its a crying shame, though :(

I'm going to move this to Fedic as it isn't a horror show.

Heather19
02-05-2008, 03:34 PM
That's just disappointing to hear that they have the whole series planned out, and no one was willing to pick it up. Did they try many other networks after HBO cancelled it?

ZoNeSeeK
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I dont think it was sellable

Mike Beck
02-06-2008, 07:51 AM
ah damn it. i remember daniel knauf saying he had the whole story down, and what would happen, and how the confrontation between justin and ben was just the first skirmish in an ongoing battle (something along those lines, anyway).

it makes me angry and sad. and i wish i had avataric blood. :(

CyberGhostface
02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
HBO won't sell the rights even if someone else wanted to pick it up.

I heard at the Carnycon (which I didn't go to) that they had a lot of problems with HBO, that they were treated like the red-haired stepchild and that they often interferred with the show's plot. (For example, Brother Justin was supposed to be more ambigious in the second season but HBO mandated that they make him evil.)

Mike Beck
02-06-2008, 10:51 AM
interesting. although, i did like that aspect of his character.

i wouldn't even mind the story being finished as a series of novels. or even graphic novels.

childeluke
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Mike: its 6 seasons, and theyre already written and ready to go. I get itchy thinking about it.

Yeah, there's alot of material out there from HBO regarding Carnivale - HBO execs loved the series aswell - according to their economic policy a 2nd season should never have been made because of the poor ratings of the first but they gave it another chance and tried to get it going but it remained with cult ratings only :( Who knows, the only thing that would ever bring it back was if HBO had success with similarly themed shows in the future, you know, anything for them to go "Carnivale might sell now". Its a crying shame, though :(

I'm going to move this to Fedic as it isn't a horror show.

It supposed to span 12 years. The last scene we've already seen: Sophie kissing ben as the bomb goes off. I've read the screenplay for what they were going to do with the third season and it sounded pretty cool. But as far as them having already written all 6 seasons, no. Maybe the outlines and the general ideas of what's going to happen, but no solid episodes. It could still be pulled off if they premiered this year.

What I read for the opening of season 3: A 5 year old kid is supposed to run up to Sophie, Justin, and Iris while Justin is delivering a speech to his flock(unknown as to who's kid it is). Jonesy is playing baseball again, and ben is wandering around with Samson.

Apparently Lodz was supposed to be a much bigger character, but HBO said someone had to go in the first season. So knauf chose lodz.

childeluke
02-06-2008, 11:28 PM
What needs to happen: Marvel and HBO can do a switch. Marvel can make four amazing graphic novels for the 4 remaining seasons, and HBO can do 7 season of Dark Tower. One for each book.

Mike Beck
02-07-2008, 05:33 AM
that would be sick! i'd go for that.

theBeamisHome
07-03-2008, 05:40 AM
omg... i was just about to make a thread for this show but i should have known that someone would have beat me to it since it's such an awesome show. me and my family used to watch the show when it was on the air and we were greatly disappointed by the way it ended. I read that because it cost $4mil an episode to make that it just didn't have enough viewers to keep up. They would've kept it if the producers would have agreed to lower the cost to 2 mil an episode but i guess they coudn't or wouldn't.

I just bought both seasons on dvd from best buy for $20 each. idk if that sale is going on everywhere but if you don't have them you should check. I haven't seen all of either season i don't think and now i'm filling in points in the story that i missed.

i would like to see the rest of the story. i don't care what HBO says, they can afford it. just get rid of stuff like entourage.. :P

Heather19
07-03-2008, 06:10 AM
omg... i was just about to make a thread for this show but i should have known that someone would have beat me to it since it's such an awesome show. me and my family used to watch the show when it was on the air and we were greatly disappointed by the way it ended. I read that because it cost $4mil an episode to make that it just didn't have enough viewers to keep up. They would've kept it if the producers would have agreed to lower the cost to 2 mil an episode but i guess they coudn't or wouldn't.

I just bought both seasons on dvd from best buy for $20 each. idk if that sale is going on everywhere but if you don't have them you should check. I haven't seen all of either season i don't think and now i'm filling in points in the story that i missed.

i would like to see the rest of the story. i don't care what HBO says, they can afford it. just get rid of stuff like entourage.. :P

I saw the ad in the flyer this past week, and ran to get it, but when I got to the store they didn't have any of the first season left in stock, and the second season wasn't on sale. I have might try to get back there by the end of the week and see if they've got more in.