PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies

Pages : [1] 2

fernandito
02-03-2008, 12:51 AM
From IGN.com:

-----
Del Toro Signed for The Hobbit
Official announcement made at Orphanage premiere.
by IGN Staff

February 1, 2008 - It was reported earlier this week that Mexican filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro had been in negotiations to direct both The Hobbit and another film based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien for New Line Cinema and MGM. Del Toro has now been announced as having officially signed on to direct the two films.

According to the British newspaper The Guardian, the announcement was made at the French premiere of the del Toro-produced thriller The Orphanage. "Today is a big day because we are announcing what everyone wanted to hear, which is that he will be directing The Hobbit," the host reportedly told the audience as he introduced del Toro.

Oscar winner Peter Jackson, who directed the Lord of the Rings trilogy, will executive produce The Hobbit. The screenplay cannot be worked on, however, until after the writers' strike ends.

New Line and MGM have tentatively penciled in principal photography for the two films -- which will be shot back-to-back -- for 2009, with a budget of $150 million per film. The first is slated for release in 2010, with the second the following year.

The Hobbit, written by Tolkien in 1937, takes place many years before The Lord of the Rings and centers on young Bilbo Baggins, who, along with a group of dwarves and Gandalf the wizard, embark on a quest to steal the treasure of Smaug the dragon. The first movie will reportedly tell this story, while the second will show events immediately preceding the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

ATG
02-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Awesome!

I can't wait.

fernandito
02-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Cast speculation? :)

jayson
02-03-2008, 05:16 AM
oh how i wish PJ wasn't gonna be involved in the script-writing, but a different director is intriguing. i'm sure i will see it.

William50
02-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I am a huge LOTR fan, and I am going to see it the day it comes out.

MonteGss
02-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I am pretty excited but am up in the air on the two movies. At first I thought they were spitting up the story into two chapters but now I am reading different...
I love LotR but I don't know it front to back (like the DT perhaps) so I can't recall if there is enough material to do a "prequel" type second movie. Can anyone answer this...perhaps Brian :)?

As far as cast goes, Gandalf stays the same or plain and simple I won't watch them. I would like to see the same Bilbo but perhaps he is too old to play a younger Bilbo?
Director choice is a good one, I think.

Aesculapius
02-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Del Toro??.........Sweet!!!

I'm not a huge LOTR fan, but, G. Del Toro is awesome.

William50
02-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree about Gandalf. He has to be the same.

Wuducynn
02-03-2008, 09:08 AM
As far as cast goes, Gandalf stays the same or plain and simple I won't watch them.

You're full of shit. You know you would.

MonteGss
02-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Wrong.

Wuducynn
02-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Right.

Mattrick
02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I liked LOTR but I'm not the least bit interested in The Hobbit.

jayson
02-03-2008, 09:57 AM
one is inseperable from the other for me. of course either can stand on it's own as a complete story, but i prefer to look at the entirety of tolkien's middle world writings as one very very long story from Silmarillion through the Hobbit through LotR. It's all inter-related.

Wuducynn
02-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I for one can't wait. I'm kind of surprised about Petey boy not directing but as long as he is heavily involved in it thats the important thing.

jayson
02-03-2008, 10:03 AM
if he is heavily involved in the look of it, it will look right, but i still am cautious about his script involvement. either way i will see it, but if he makes up more material like he did with LotR in expense of real material from the book, it will piss me off again. the hobbit is not hard to do right. it's more straightforward than LotR and you stick with Bilbo pretty much all the way through. i do agree that McKellan should play Gandalf again if for nothing more than consistencies sake.

Wuducynn
02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
if he is heavily involved in the look of it, it will look right, but i still am cautious about his script involvement. either way i will see it, but if he makes up more material like he did with LotR in expense of real material from the book, it will piss me off again. the hobbit is not hard to do right. it's more straightforward than LotR and you stick with Bilbo pretty much all the way through. i do agree that McKellan should play Gandalf again if for nothing more than consistencies sake.

Ah, you're a LOTR/Hobbit purist I see. Understandable. I've never been a big Tolkien fan, so I'm not, while I do love his books. I agree McKellan and whats-his-name who played Bilbo should all be in it but I'm not going to not go see the movies if they're not. Like certain little whiney nancy boys I won't mention the name of...

MONTEGSS

okay so I lied.

jayson
02-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree McKellan and whats-his-name who played Bilbo should all be in it but I'm not going to not go see the movies if they're not.

Ian Holm is prob too old to play Bilbo as young as he was in the Hobbit. That could be recast I think without too many people crying foul. He was a great older Bilbo, but few would buy him in all the action he'd need to be able to do for the Hobbit [think barrel-riding out of Elven custody for example]. I'm a Tolkien geek, I'll see the movies regardless.

Wuducynn
02-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't know...they really can do magic. We'll just have to see.

MonteGss
02-03-2008, 10:15 AM
:rofl:
I stand by what I say. :shoot:

Philzilla
02-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I for one can't wait. I'm kind of surprised about Petey boy not directing but as long as he is heavily involved in it thats the important thing.

Yeah, as long as PJ is at the helm guiding Del Toro it should turn out fine. Del Toro is a great choice however, visually he is ready for the opportunity, he's fat like PJ was, and Pan's Labyrinth is a fantastic film.

The only question I have is the second of these films. What book did Tolkien write that covers this? Oh that's right he didn't.

ManOfWesternesse
02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
First (& middle & last) I'm just over the moon that this project is now real at last. Great that PJ is involved - dunno this del Toro at all, but I'll take your words on him above.

Agree Sir Ian has to do Gandalf again.
No way Ian Holm can do Bilbo however - and I agree that should not be a problem.

Material for the 2nd film eh?
I think they can come up with plenty. Maybe they finish th Hobbit after the Battle of 5 armies & put the homecoming in the 2nd (or not?). Then there's Gollum's wanderings after he comes out from under the mountains.... all the way to Morder & capture & torture & escape/release. Aragorn & Gandalf's hiunt for him - eventual capture. Escape again etc...
Then the White Council stuff. Gandalf's invasion of Dol Guldor. Sauron's fleeing from same & return to Mordor & beginning to build those armies. Sauruman's first footsteps on the road to treachery?
It's gonna be interesting.

ZoNeSeeK
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah, Mackellan NEEDS to reprise Gandalf in this one ;)

sarah
02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I have to say that I'm pretty excited to see a new director. I think it will still have the Peter Jackson feel as he is producing but a new director sounds good. I didn't think New Line wound ultimately let anyone else direct but I guess maybe Peter was willing to let new blood in.

I think Peter Jackson is fantastic but I think The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Ring and King Kong was just a little much. Kind of like his ego got in the way. All the slow mo close ups and character goodbyes got to be a bit annoying. New Blood = Good to me :)

Aesculapius
02-07-2008, 09:08 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/Obelison/two/eltoroyelfauno.jpg
:thumbsup:

Mike Beck
02-08-2008, 06:15 AM
Del Toro is a fantastic choice for this! I think he'll really make these films amazing.

Firstly, I am really excited that they're doing this. I loved the hobbit. It's not as gritty as LotR, but it's got some very memorable scenes in it, and how can you not like Bilbo Baggins?

I also thought that they were breaking it into two films at first. It seems weird that they would do one other film that precedes Fellowship? They're going to have to take all that storyline from things hinted at in the books, right?

I was always intrigued by Gandalf and Aragorn and the whole thing with the Necromancer. And wanted to know more about what went down.

Things I'm looking forward to: The Three Trolls, Beorn, Elves of Mirkwood, Spiders, Smaug, Bard, Laketown, and the Battle of the Five Armies (<-- this should be quite amazing).

I know they could never adapt it to the big screen, but some of the events in the Silmarillion would be awesome to see. If anyone likes lord of the rings and hasn't read this book, you really should. It's like the bible of middle earth, and will make a huge dork of you. :P

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 06:18 AM
So Mike when are you going to head out to California to try out for the role of Bilbo Baggins?

Mike Beck
02-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Well, I already sent my head shots. *crosses fingers*

They only thing they're concerned with is that I might not be tall enough for the role.

but here's to hoping. :D

jayson
02-08-2008, 06:27 AM
I also thought that they were breaking it into two films at first. It seems weird that they would do one other film that precedes Fellowship? They're going to have to take all that storyline from things hinted at in the books, right?

Not entirely. In essays and other writings of Tolkien's [much published in "Unfinished Tales" and the rest of Christopher Tolkien's "History of Middle Earth" series. Much of the groundwork for these stories of the time between the Hobbit and Fellowship is covered. There doesn't seem to be many periods of time that Tolkien didn't address about Middle Earth from the creation of Arda to well into the time past Aragorn's reign. The stuff about the White Council or how Aragorn and Gandalf found Gollum are a little more detailed than say Aragorn's time with the the Rohirrim and in Minas Tirith, but it's all there.

I know they could never adapt it to the big screen, but some of the events in the Silmarillion would be awesome to see. If anyone likes lord of the rings and hasn't read this book, you really should. It's like the bible of middle earth, and will make a huge dork of you. :P

As folken know from the LotR thread, I am a huge dork already. :lol:
I agree totally Mike that the Silmarillion stories would make for great film fare. I re-read that at least annually.

Once you become obsessed with the Silmarillion there is still Chris Tolkien's multi-volume History of Middle Earth series. Parts of it read like parts of the Silmarillion, long story passages. Parts of it are as detailed a look at his dad's writing process as you will find, comparing drafts to the published versions, and exploring Tolkien's outlines and correspondences with friends/publishers about Middle-Earth. All of it makes for great reading for Tolkien dorks.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 06:31 AM

They only thing they're concerned with is that I might not be tall enough for the role.

Didn't they digitally shrink all the actors that played the hobbits?

jayson
02-08-2008, 06:32 AM

Didn't they digitally shrink all the actors that played the hobbits?

PJ used a combination of digital techniques and camera angles to force perspective to make the hobbits appear adequately small.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 06:36 AM
There you go Mike. You're all set!

jayson
02-08-2008, 06:40 AM
i am looking foward to seeing the Lonely Mountain on the screen. I know what it's looked like in my head since I was a kid, but seeing it on screen will be sweet. I definitely want to see all the scenes Mike mentioned previously, but the one I always enjoy is the arrivals of Bilbo's dwarf guests and Bilbo's reaction to the progression. It was nice to see Bag-End in LotR, but it is in the Hobbit where we really get to see it in action with Bilbo's food prep and the dwarves' little song about it.

Mike Beck
02-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Ah, All Hail!! You bring hope back to my heart. :lol:

R of G. I still have to read the Unfinished Tales/Lost Tales stuff. and I have some of the Christopher Tolkien books, but haven't really got into them yet.

Oh, I forgot about the Lonely Mountain and the Eagles and the Wolves! Ah, there's so much goodness in that book. :excited:

jayson
02-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Mike, if/when you get into them, the last third or so of Unfinished Tales is where you'll find all the post-Silmarillion/pre-Hobbit stuff, as well as the stuff between Hobbit and LotR. Here you will find such goodies as how/why Gandalf got involved with Thorin, how Gandalf attempted to thwart Saruman's search for the One Ring, the coming of the Eorlingas to Rohan and the allegiance between Rohan and Gondor, etc... etc... you know, all the stuff hinted at in LotR.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Ah, All Hail!! You bring hope back to my heart. :lol:

This is a common result of my very presence.

Matt
02-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Hmmmm...its always despair for me. :(

Mikes "not tall enough to play a hobbit" comment made me...:rofl:

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Hmmmm...its always despair for me. :(

That too of course.

fernandito
02-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't want this movie to have PJ's "feel", I want it to be all Del Toro, however unlikely that may be.

RUBE
02-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Sad News for this Movie. I just read that the Tolkien "estate" is filing a suit against New Line because they did not get their proper cut of the original trilogy. (See "'Lord' These Lawsuits Are Becoming a Hobbit" in the Feb 22 Entertainment Weekly) They want to get $150 million AND stop The Hobbit from being made by New Line! WTF.

blake316
02-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Del Toro! Awesome!
Hugh Laurie for Gandalf!

jayson
02-21-2008, 04:11 AM
Sad News for this Movie. I just read that the Tolkien "estate" is filing a suit against New Line because they did not get their proper cut of the original trilogy. (See "'Lord' These Lawsuits Are Becoming a Hobbit" in the Feb 22 Entertainment Weekly) They want to get $150 million AND stop The Hobbit from being made by New Line! WTF.

i can't say i'm saddened by this. Tolkien's family should have control. It's his work, and they know it far better than the folks at New Line do. After reading the History of Middle Earth series I'm almost as big a fan of Christopher Tolkien as I am his father.

blake316
02-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Why the hell didnt they just pay it in the first place. Greedy and stupid I suppose. They have no-one to blame but themselves

ManOfWesternesse
02-21-2008, 05:47 AM

i can't say i'm saddened by this. Tolkien's family should have control. It's his work, and they know it far better than the folks at New Line do. After reading the History of Middle Earth series I'm almost as big a fan of Christopher Tolkien as I am his father.

I'm inclined to agree.
Pure greed on the part of new Line etc...
In LotR they were getting some of the best Movie-material ever written. They should have had more respect for that.
Hopefully they will settle properly with the Tolkien Estate & then get on with making these movies.

Brice
02-21-2008, 06:10 AM
I love the title of the Entertainment Weekly article. :lol:

Philzilla
02-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Then the good Professor shouldn't have sold the film rights in the 60s to pay off his taxes.

fernandito
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Del Toro to give a definite answer within the next 4 to 5 days on whether or not he will direct The Hobbit.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/868/868003p1.html

fernandito
04-24-2008, 08:04 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL! DEL TORO WILL HELM BOTH HOBBIT MOVIES! :excited:

April 24, 2008 - Director Guillermo del Toro is a man of his word. Just this past weekend, he told IGN during an exclusive interview at New York Comic-Con that within five days there would be an official announcement — one way or another — as to his involvement with the feature film adaptation of The Hobbit. And that time has come.

Variety is reporting that the director has now been signed to helm both The Hobbit and it's sequel — a film meant to seamlessly bridge the 60-year gap between the aforementioned movie and The Fellowship of the Ring. Upon completion of his current project — Hellboy II: The Golden Army — del Toro will be moving to New Zealand for four years, where he will oversee production of the two films with Executive Producer Peter Jackson, as well as creature and effects house WETA Workshop. He will follow Jackson's filmmaking model and shoot both movies back-to-back.

John_and_Yoko
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
From Yahoo:

Please note that this version DELETES INCORRECT reference to second movie spanning time between "Hobbit" and "Rings"; New Line now says movies are based on book only.

ManOfWesternesse
04-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Hmmmmmm.
Dunno which I'd like more.
Hobbit split into 2 movies -or- Hobbit + sequel/LotR prequel.

jayson
04-25-2008, 05:09 AM
New Line now says movies are based on book only.

so does that eliminate PJ from being involved in any way since he likes to add in his own material? :lol:

John_and_Yoko
04-25-2008, 11:46 AM
New Line now says movies are based on book only.

so does that eliminate PJ from being involved in any way since he likes to add in his own material? :lol:

Very funny. :P

Of course, Peter Jackson's staying on as executive producer, he just won't be directing.

Anyway, what I'd like to see is the first movie being an adaptation of the book, and the second being sort of a "mid-quel," taking place at the same time as the book, but showing Gandalf and other characters, and being more relevant to The Lord of the Rings.

fernandito
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
As long as Ian McKellen reprises his role as Gandalf , I'll be happy.

John_and_Yoko
04-25-2008, 01:06 PM
As long as Ian McKellen reprises his role as Gandalf , I'll be happy.

Me too--and he should. Peter Jackson said he HAD to play Gandalf, whether PJ directed or not.

jayson
04-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Anyway, what I'd like to see is the first movie being an adaptation of the book, and the second being sort of a "mid-quel," taking place at the same time as the book, but showing Gandalf and other characters, and being more relevant to The Lord of the Rings.

there is plenty of written material by Tolkien about the time in between the Hobbit and LotR, so it could be done correctly. What I would most like to see is the time Aragorn spent in Minas Tirith and with the Rohirrim prior to the time of LotR and the hunt for Gollum.

cozener
04-29-2008, 01:28 AM
This is great. Del Toro can give the Hobbit that childlike element that it needs.

MonteGss
04-29-2008, 07:31 AM

there is plenty of written material by Tolkien about the time in between the Hobbit and LotR, so it could be done correctly. What I would most like to see is the time Aragorn spent in Minas Tirith and with the Rohirrim prior to the time of LotR and the hunt for Gollum.

I just finished the audios of Hobbit/LoTR so I am even more excited now about these movies than I was before. :D
I'd love to see these Aragorn years as well...maybe a bit of his time with Elrond too.

Do you suppose del Toro will try to bring some of the Fellowship actors back? I read that only Gandalf and Gollum would be the same.

jayson
04-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Do you suppose del Toro will try to bring some of the Fellowship actors back? I read that only Gandalf and Gollum would be the same.

Other than Bilbo, who would need to be much younger than he was in LotR, the Elrond is the only LotR character that would necessarily need to be re-used in a Hobbit movie.

Depending on what they are going to to do for the second movie, there may be more repeated roles [Saruman and Galadriel for example if they wanted to do anything with the White Council].

MonteGss
04-29-2008, 07:38 AM

Other than Bilbo, who would need to be much younger than he was in LotR, the Elrond is the only LotR character that would necessarily need to be re-used in a Hobbit movie.

Depending on what they are going to to do for the second movie, there may be more repeated roles [Saruman and Galadriel for example if they wanted to do anything with the White Council].

Yes, of course. We do need Elrond.
I was speculating on who they might need or want for that second movie. Will del Toro choose to focus on Gollum, Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo...all of them? Hmmm. :)

John_and_Yoko
04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Well, Frodo wasn't born yet, so obviously not him.

But perhaps Arwen, Galadriel, Legolas, Gimli, etc....

jayson
04-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Well, Frodo wasn't born yet, so obviously not him.

But perhaps Arwen, Galadriel, Legolas, Gimli, etc....

Arwen was not involved in the Hobbit at all [in the books she was barely involved in LotR]. Gimli wasn't born yet, or if he was he was too young to be involved in Hobbit. Legolas is not mentioned though his father is the Elf-King [Thranduil] who imprisons the dwarves in the Hobbit. Galadriel is only necessary if they show the White Council. My point is, it can easily and faithfully be done without these characters who were not in the book anyway.

John_and_Yoko
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Obviously, but I think they wanted to bring back as many characters as they could--at least for the non-book parts.

fernandito
04-29-2008, 05:09 PM
What about Andy Serkis? Do you guys think he'll reprise his role as Gollum, Gollum, Gollum!! (?)

:orely:

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I sure as hell hope so!

fernandito
04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Oh, wait, nevermind :lol:

First Hobbit Casting
McKellen, Serkis expected to return.
by Stax
April 28, 2008 - With Guillermo del Toro now officially confirmed as directing The Hobbit and a second film inspired by the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, industry attention is beginning to focus on who else will be involved with the long-awaited prequels to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. According to del Toro himself, two of the stars of Peter Jackson's Oscar-winning series will reprise their roles for his films.

In an interview with The One Ring, del Toro said that "in the last few weeks I've been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I'm meeting Alan Lee. I'm doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films."

He added, "I had the most charming meeting with Sir Ian, and all bureaucracy pending, he's on board, as is Andy Serkis. We will continue giving you progress reports as they occur. It is our intention that we will not lose any of the key elements."

McKellen portrayed the wizard Gandalf, while Serkis played the monstrous Gollum. Both characters were first introduced in The Hobbit.

Del Toro adds that pre-production on The Hobbit will begin this summer and that he will have to move to New Zealand for four years to make the movies.

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Yay! Gandalf's back too - excellent!
I'm also very glad they're going back to New Zealand :D

fernandito
04-30-2008, 05:05 PM
What's that you say? You want confirmation from Mckellen/Gandalf himself? Where here it is :D :

April 30, 2008 - Director Guillermo del Toro recently revealed that Lord of the Rings star Sir Ian McKellen might return for The Hobbit, and now the actor himself has confirmed that he'll reprise his role as the wizard Gandalf for the prequel.

"Yes, it's true," McKellen informed Empire Online. "I spoke to Guillermo in the very room that [Lord of the Rings director] Peter Jackson offered me the part and he confirmed that I would be reprising the role. Obviously, it's not a part that you turn down. I loved playing Gandalf."

The Oscar nominee also spoke about del Toro's plans to shoot not only The Hobbit, but also a second film inspired by the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. "Well I've read The Hobbit so I've got a good idea of what the story would be," the actor said.

McKellen continued, "But as to how it's going to work over two films and what's going to happen on screen, well Guillermo has not got down to working out the major details yet – I can tell you it's going to be amazing though."

Unfound One
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Yay!
Gooooood news!

ManOfWesternesse
05-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, great to hear both McKellen & Serkis are aboard.
He really needs Elrond - so I assume he'll go after Hugo Weaving again for continuity?
This 'second film' may provide a platform for a good few others to return though, depending on the direction of it. I can see scope for Sauruman, Galadriel, Aragorn, maybe Arwen?, Denethor?, Theoden? (though he'd be a lot younger when Aragorn rode with the host? (too young I think?)).

jayson
05-01-2008, 04:52 AM
...Theoden? (though he'd be a lot younger when Aragorn rode with the host? (too young I think?)).

i think he would have to be recast as it was a much younger Aragorn who rode with the Rohirrim so Richard Harris might be too old to be the younger more vibrant Theoden. Denethor could prob return as Denethor as his age is a little more indeterminate, but more of his story might balance out the atrocity of his characterization in the LotR movies.

ManOfWesternesse
05-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Denethor could prob return as Denethor as his age is a little more indeterminate, but more of his story might balance out the atrocity of his characterization in the LotR movies.

Yes, Denethor was considered long-lived by the standards of Gondor so it could work.
And yes, I was always a bit saddened at the very shallow treatment of his character in the Movies. With a little more investment in time & effort he could have been done more justice.

jayson
05-01-2008, 05:34 AM
And yes, I was always a bit saddened at the very shallow treatment of his character in the Movies. With a little more investment in time & effort he could have been done more justice.

exactly. denethor was stubborn and willful, but they portrayed him as one dimensional and boorish/crude which he certainly was not. they never bothered to show that he was made mad by what he saw in the palantir not bc he was just some psycho who wanted his son to die and was afraid to fight himself. he should have been given a much better portrayal.

fernandito
05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Del Toro and Jackson invite you to An Unexpected Party

http://movies.ign.com/articles/874/874267p1.html

jayson
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Del Toro and Jackson invite you to An Unexpected Party

http://movies.ign.com/articles/874/874267p1.html

PJ's asking for questions from fans huh? My only question is "This time do you plan on sticking to the story as Tolkien wrote it or do you plan on inserting your own made up shit at the expense of Tolkien's material like you did with LotR"

Thanks for posting Fev, now I have a question to go submit... :evil:

Unfound One
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I really like that they're doing this... Now if they just listen to what the fans have to say, The Hobbit could be great. :thumbsup:

jayson
05-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I really like that they're doing this... Now if they just listen to what the fans have to say, The Hobbit could be great. :thumbsup:

all they have to do is follow the book and it will be just fine.

Unfound One
05-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Heh, that too.

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Yeah, all they have to do is listen to what the fans have to say....

...and ignore it. ;)

ManOfWesternesse
05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Thankee kindly for that link.
Registers quick & all - asked my burning question!

fernandito
05-22-2008, 04:48 PM
More May Return for Hobbit
Rings stars in talks to rejoin Tolkien universe.
by Brian Linder

May 21, 2008 - Guillermo del Toro, director of both Hellboy films, is about to move on to another genre franchise, New Line's two-movie adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. Actors Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, and Andy Serkis (Gollum), have already been in contact with the production about reprising their roles. And now there's word of another Rings star coming into the mix.

According to Variety, Viggo Mortensen has been approached about returning to Middle-earth as Aragorn. Tolkien fans will know that Aragorn isn't introduced until Fellowship of the Ring, but the second film in the Hobbit series will be a bridge to the Rings trilogy based on a variety of Tolkien source material.

The inclusion of Aragorn runs counter to what we previously heard from actress Liv Tyler who told us recently, "As far as I know, Arwen and Aragorn are not in The Hobbit, or definitely aren't in it. But I don't know yet."

Pre-production is about to begin on the project which Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens will write with Peter Jackson and del Toro overseeing.

"We will all be involved in the script in some fashion but the exact definition is about a week away, " del Toro told Variety. "I am all for keeping the actors who originated the parts, as much as availability and their willingness will allow."

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Awesome!

ManOfWesternesse
05-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Yes, if they include Aragorn in the script then definitely Viggo is needed. And if they do (incl. Aragorn) then they may well include Arwen, even briefly, too?

jayson
05-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes, if they include Aragorn in the script then definitely Viggo is needed. And if they do (incl. Aragorn) then they may well include Arwen, even briefly, too?

I could easily see where they would need Aragorn but not need Arwen as anything other than a reference point. There is plenty of Aragorn material that needn't involve her in any way.

fernandito
05-25-2008, 11:04 AM
The updates just keep on comin'! :cyclops:
---

Hobbit Filming in 2010
GDT and Jackson dish deets on the LOTR prequels
by Stax

May 24, 2008 - The live chat "An Unexpected Party" was held today at Weta's website between fans and Guillermo del Toro, director of The Hobbit and its untitled sequel, and executive producer Peter Jackson. Del Toro and Jackson fielded fans' inquiries about the two projects, revealing a good deal about their plans for them.

"At this point in time the plan is to write [the screenplays] for the rest of this year and start early conceptual designs. 2009 will be dedicated to pre-production on both movies and 2010 will be the year we shoot both films back to back," Jackson told fans. "Post production follows one film at a time with The Hobbit being released December 2011, and (Film Two) release Dec 2012. That is the schedule in about as much detail as we have ourselves at the moment." Del Toro said the ratings for the two Hobbit movies would be the same as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, "an intense PG-13."

Casting buzz claims that LOTR veterans Ian McKellen (Gandalf), Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), and Andy Serkis (Gollum) have all been approached to reprise their respective roles for the films. Del Toro clarified the matter by saying, "No casting has started yet ... but some people have thrown their helmet into the ring."

Jackson went further. "No casting has commenced and won't until the scripts are written. We have had chats with one or two of the LOTR actors however but the casting will be driven largely by the writing and it is impossible to cast 13 dwarves without knowing their personality and characters. We anticipate we won't be in serious casting mode for these movies until well into next year."

The Oscar-winning LOTR filmmaker later wrote that, "apart from extreme circumstances, we would never recast a character who appeared in the LOTR trilogy. You can read The Hobbit and pretty much see which characters play a part. The unknown factor is Film Two, which we are still developing. If we wished to write one of the LOTR characters into the narrative of Film Two, we would only do that with that actors blessing, and willingness to take part. Otherwise we'd take the writing in another direction."

Del Toro and Jackson's attention is now dedicated to adapting The Hobbit for the screen and developing a second film from scratch along with LOTR co-screenwriters Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. Jackson said that "the second movie doesn't have a title yet and probably won't until we write the script. As you will see we have the incredibly boring name Film Two which I assure you will not last for very long. Bear with us."

When asked if del Toro's Hobbit, which is based on a children's book, would depart tonally from the dark LOTR trilogy, Jackson replied, "I personally feel The Hobbit can and should have a different tone. The 'tone' of these stories shouldn't be defined by the pressure our characters were under in LOTR. The world is a different place at the time of The Hobbit. The shadow is not so dark. However, what should stay the same is the reality of Middle-earth, and the integrity we bring to it as film makers."

Del Toro advised fans that, unlike in the LOTR movies, animal characters in his Hobbit will speak (as they do in the book). "I think it should be done exactly as in the book -- the 'talking beast' motif has to exist already to allow for that great character that is Smaug. It is far more jarring to have a linear movie and then -- out of the blue -- a talking Dragon."

Of Smaug, del Toro wrote that he "should not be 'the dragon in the Hobbit movie' as if it was just another creature in the bestiary. Smaug should be 'The DRAGON' for all movies past and present. The shadow he cast and the greed he comes to embody -- the 'need to own' casts its long shadow and creates a dramatic/thematic contunity of sorts that articulates the story throughout."

ManOfWesternesse
05-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey, my question got asked in the top 20 questions!:onfire:
I submitted it a week ago or so, but then couldn't make it online for the actual chat time.

Peter Jackson Now for Q13

WetaHost 13 - Hi. Do you intend to play this one by the Book (The Hobbit that is) and make it a very light childrens tale on film, or do you plan to stick with the much darker treatment- in keeping with the LotR films - particularly the latter ones. My personal preference would be for the latter - cannot see how eg. the Rivendell Elves could regress from their nobility in LotR to those "...Tra-la-la-la...." singing versions which were in the Hobbit Book. Thank you.

Guillermo del Toro We’ll see about the “Tra-la-la-“ later- but the book, I believe, in echoing the “loss of innocence” England experienced after WWI, is a passage form innocence to a darker, more somber state- The visual / thematic progression should reflect that in the camera style, color palette, textural choices, etc.

Peter Jackson As I said earlier, I personally feel that The Hobbit can, and should have a different tone. The "tone" of these stories shouldn't be defined by the pressure our characters were under in LOTR. The world is a different place at the time of the Hobbit. The shadow is not so dark. However, what should stay the same is the reality of Middle-earth, and the integrity we bring to it as film makers.

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 06:13 AM
Cool Brian!!! I read those yesterday!

What do you feel about their response?

*edit*

One thing that I got from all of the Q&A is that it is pretty clear that the first of the two movies will be the entire Hobbit book...they will wrap it up within the first film. The second film will be and arch and will cover those "behind the scenes" things that were referenced in the book but we did not really read about.

Empath of the White
05-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Given Del Toro's visual style, I'm really looking forward to Mirkwood, as well as "Riddles in the Dark."

fernandito
05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
I wonder if both Del Toro and Jackson are going to write the script for the 2nd movie...or will it be all Jackson? Or all Del Toro?

ManOfWesternesse
05-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Cool Brian!!! I read those yesterday!

What do you feel about their response?

*edit*

One thing that I got from all of the Q&A is that it is pretty clear that the first of the two movies will be the entire Hobbit book...they will wrap it up within the first film. The second film will be and arch and will cover those "behind the scenes" things that were referenced in the book but we did not really read about.
Happy enough generally, though I'm not entirely certain of this "... those were happier/lighter times...." stuff. I mean, yes they were, but th eoverall tone still needs to be more LotR than 'Book-Hobbit' I think. From del Toro's answer I think we will (thankfully) NOT have a scene of Rivendell Elves singing "Tra-la-la-lally, down here in the valley...." :lol:

I wonder if both Del Toro and Jackson are going to write the script for the 2nd movie...or will it be all Jackson? Or all Del Toro?

I think I read that Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens will be involved in writing the second film along with Del Toro and Jackson. I wonder if Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens will be involved in writing the first film as well.
Yes, I'd say a lot of the actual writing by Walsh/Boyens, with a lot of influence exerted by the other 2.

fernandito
05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Hobbit Star Wanted
Mr. Tumnus may play Bilbo Baggins.
by Jim Vejvoda

May 30, 2008 - Although director Guillermo del Toro and producer Peter Jackson recently said that casting on The Hobbit won't start in earnest until next year, the rumor mill is suggesting that the filmmakers already have the actor in mind for the lead role of Bilbo Baggins.

According to The One Ring and MSN, via British tabloid Daily Express, Scottish actor James McAvoy (soon to be seen in Wanted) is the frontrunner to play Bilbo. McAvoy is no stranger to fantasy films, having previously played "Mr. Tumnus" in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

"A number of names have been doing the rounds, including Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black, but James (McAvoy) is the one the film's bosses really want," the Daily Mail's alleged insider told the paper. "They're expected to have talks soon so hopefully it could be confirmed in the not too distant future."

James McAvoy's credits include Atonement, Becoming Jane, Penelope, and The Last

John_and_Yoko
05-30-2008, 08:25 PM
From imdb.com:

Tolkien's Son Tries To Block Hobbit Movie
From wenn.com | See recent WENN news
28 May 2008 9:11 AM, PDT

Lord Of The Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien's son is desperately trying to stop a new movie version of his father's novel The Hobbit.

Christopher Tolkien wants the two-film adaptation blocked until his family are paid the $200 million (GBP100 million) he claims they are owed by New Line Cinema bosses from the big-screen adaptations of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

He will appear before a judge in California on 6 June in a bid to have The Hobbit movie "terminated", reports Britain's Sunday Times newspaper.

Guillermo del Toro will direct the new franchise, and Sir Ian McKellen will reprise his role as Gandalf. Shooting is due to begin in New Zealand later this year.

Unfound One
05-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Jack Black

No, please.

AIMB
05-31-2008, 12:10 AM
i like james mcavoy for it

I heard that production is being haulted b/c Tolkien's son says that they haven't gotten all the money from the cartoon they were owed or something crazy like that? Has anyone else heard anything like that?

MonteGss
05-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Jack Black

No, please.

Gross. Jack Black would be horrible!
Though I like Harry Potter, Danny-boy isn't right for the part either.

I could see Mr. Tumnus though.
I can't remember exactly but I though Bilbo was older than Frodo was when he went on his own adventure. So, I think the actor should "look" older than Elijah did.

jayson
05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
I can't remember exactly but I though Bilbo was older than Frodo was when he went on his own adventure. So, I think the actor should "look" older than Elijah did.

It's been awhile since I read the Hobbit last, so I don't remember exactly how old Bilbo was, but as far as casting, I agree Monte, older than Elijah Wood for sure.

Of course, in the books Frodo was 50 when he left on his adventure. PJ seemed to skip over the fact that 17 years pass between the birthday party for Bilbo (111th) and Frodo (33rd) and the beginning of the quest.

Also, if they cast Jack Black, it'd be impossible to take it even remotely seriously.

MonteGss
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM

It's been awhile since I read the Hobbit last, so I don't remember exactly how old Bilbo was, but as far as casting, I agree Monte, older than Elijah Wood for sure.

Of course, in the books Frodo was 50 when he left on his adventure. PJ seemed to skip over the fact that 17 years pass between the birthday party for Bilbo (111th) and Frodo (33rd) and the beginning of the quest.

Also, if they cast Jack Black, it'd be impossible to take it even remotely seriously.

He did indeed skip over those years.
I just finished my reread of LoTR and Hobbit recently (as I've mentioned) and I thought Frodo was a little younger than Bilbo was when they each set off on their respective adventures. Even if I'm wrong though...something tells me that Bilbo should still look older in the Hobbit film.

*edit*

Just like I said before about not casting the same Gandalf....if they cast Jack Black.....I WILL NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.

RUBE
05-31-2008, 12:27 PM
For those of you talking about Tolkien trying to stop this movie this is not exactly a new development. I had mentioned an article I saw about this back in February. See below:

Now, based on all the news surrounding this movie, I think that the studio has enough money and power that they are not seriously concerned about it though.

AIMB
05-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Awesome! I was sad when I thought it wasn't getting made

fernandito
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Exclusive: McAvoy Talks Hobbit
The man who could be Bilbo weighs in on the rumors.
by Jim Vejvoda

June 16, 2008 - IGN Movies caught up with actor James McAvoy yesterday at the Wanted press junket in Los Angeles and got the Scotsman to address the rampant rumors that he is director Guillermo del Toro and producer Peter Jackson's first choice to play the lead role of Bilbo Baggins in the long-awaited film version of The Hobbit.

McAvoy denied the rumors last week, but IGN got him to put his denial into context. The actor -- who is no stranger to fantasy films having previously played "Mr. Tumnus" in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe -- did not dismiss the chance to star in The Hobbit.

Watch his response for yourself in the embedded video clip:

(Heres a link to the original page if you want to see the video : http://movies.ign.com/articles/882/882146p1.html )

Guillermo del Toro has said that a casting announcement for The Hobbit could be made as early as this Christmas.

John_and_Yoko
06-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd be happy with whoever was cast, personally, as long as they could portray the character well, look the part, and give a sense of continuity with The Lord of the Rings. I'm sure many would agree.

But having said that, with Ian Holm out of consideration due to his age, or whatever, I think James McAvoy could do very well in the role. I saw a pic of him online that was in almost the same pose as Bilbo from The Lord of the Rings, and the resemblance was uncanny (just younger). Plus his performance as Tumnus made me think of a younger Bilbo Baggins as Ian Holm portrayed him as well--both the voice and even the way he talked, to a degree.

Doesn't mean I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get cast--I don't know enough actors to have anyone specific in mind yet.

fernandito
07-09-2008, 04:57 PM
An interview with Del Toro -

IGN: Hellboy II could be great training for your next big movie [The Hobbit].

GDT: I think that this is certainly a movie that fully prepared me to face a scope that is getting bigger and bigger it seems. Pan's Labyrinth was a modest $ 19 million, but nevertheless, the ambition technically and narratively was very big. We wanted to make creatures that were unforgettable, or memorable at least. The intention of The Hobbit is bigger than any other movie I've ever faced, and I'm fortunate enough to be coming out of the biggest movie I've made.

IGN: People know your films because of the look of your films. It's a signature look. Are you going to be able to carry your flair to this visually pre-established world?

GDT: I think the whole idea of The Hobbit movie is to almost make it freestanding on its own right. In the second movie, it's to create a look that naturally progresses and changes into the look of the trilogy. The first movie will stand on its own merit. We won't change the characters, we won't change the actors, and we will rigorously respect the guidelines established. I think you will see a lot of stuff you have never seen; not just outside the trilogy, but in the history of cinema.

IGN: What about the second film? What kind of stories will be told in that bridge film?

GDT: That's the film that has to be found and constructed carefully for many, many reasons, not just logistic ones. It has to feel relevant, connective, and seamless. That is the film that most belongs as a joining effort to the trilogy. That is the film we work the hardest on in the next six months. There are many more questions than there are answers. In my heart of hearts, I believe we found a way to do it. I'm not being coy, I'm not faking it. I don't want to spoil it. I really think we found it, but I'm not at liberty or at a place where I feel it should be discussed.

IGN: Are you going to be producing or overseeing any films while you work on The Hobbit?

GDT: I'm putting all that to bed before I move to New Zealand. In my life plans, before I got the call about The Hobbit, there was no room to move for half a decade somewhere else. Then that glorious monkey wrench came and I'm spending the rest of 2008 putting to bed all the other stuff. Hopefully, enough will be accomplished by July 2009 that I can fully dedicate myself to The Hobbit.

fernandito
07-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Ron Pearlman in The Hobbit?

Q: Has he (Del Toro) broached the idea of you being in The Hobbit to you at all? Has he talked about that?

Perlman: Well, no he has not, except to say when I first saw him after it had been announced that he was going to be in New Zealand for four years, I said, "I'm gonna miss you, pal." He goes [mimicking Del Toro's accent], "Oh no, you're not!" That's all I know.

fernandito
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Exclusive: McKellen Talks Hobbit
Actor says Del Toro will take series in a new direction.
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, July 23, 2008 - IGN had some chat with Ian Mckellen at the UK IMAX premiere of The Dark Knight earlier this week, and the venerable actor couldn't help blabbing about the upcoming Hobbit movies.

He revealed that Del Toro has been given licence to take the fantasy in a new direction to Peter Jackson saying: "I'm very intrigued to see the direction he takes the film... I know he's going to bring in a lot of his own stuff and his own ideas."

He continued: "If you're not going to have Peter Jackson then who are you going to have? You don't want someone trying to copy what Peter did. He's a major filmmaker and a big fan of the original trilogy and so I'm very happy about it."

McKellen: "I wouldn’t be too happy to see someone else play Gandalf."
He also revealed that he still hasn't signed on the dotted line to reprise his role as the staff-wielding wizard, but it sounds like a done deal. "Oh yes! There have been discussions. There's nothing signed sealed and delivered but its happening."

A good job too, as Mckellen is certainly his own first choice for the role. "I'm not saying I'm the only person who could play Gandalf, but I wouldn't be too happy to see someone else do it."

jayson
07-24-2008, 05:05 AM
"... I know he's going to bring in a lot of his own stuff and his own ideas."

Exactly, and this is what bothers me about it. There is no need for new stuff from Jackson or Del Toro or anyone else.

fernandito
07-24-2008, 05:27 AM
I think he's means 'new ideas' in terms of directing and visual effects, not in adding stuff to the original story.

jayson
07-24-2008, 05:39 AM
I think he's means 'new ideas' in terms of directing and visual effects, not in adding stuff to the original story.

Even so, some of the visualizations PJ used for the LotR movies go completely against the books. When it comes down to it, I just don't trust them to do it correctly.

fernandito
07-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Even so, some of the visualizations PJ used for the LotR movies go completely against the books.

Examples?

jayson
07-24-2008, 06:41 AM
First example would be the Balrog. Balrogs are not 20 feet tall, or however immense the one in Moria was portrayed as being in PJ's film.

Another example along the same lines was the portrayal of Sauron in the first movies depiction of the Battle of the Last Alliance. How big is the Sauron in that movie? 15-20 feet tall at least. Though I don't have the book in front of me, in the passages from the Silmarillion which describe Sauron's physical form at this time he is described as being taller than a man, but not much. The Sauron in that battle scene is enormous. I know the point of portraying him that large was to give a sense of awe and power, but it comes off looking just silly. While we're on the subject of Sauron, I could go off on a major tangent about how PJ totally goofed on the concept of whether or not Sauron had a physical form during the War of the Ring. Clearly PJ thought he did not, that he was just a big floating eyeball. He even has Saruman say "he cannot yet take shape." This is SO against the things that Tolkien wrote, but that is another argument altogether.

Some other issues off the top of my head... in Return of the King, when the Morannon (the Black Gate) is opened, the Barad Dur (Sauron's tower) is like, right there behind it. Tolkien included maps in his book and it'd have been nice if the film people took a look at them. The Barad Dur was at least 100 miles away and off to the side. It is unlikely that it would even be visible from the Black Gate. Not a major issue obviously, but all these things add up.

The portrayal of the Army of the Dead was ridiculous. Ignoring the fact that they never got off the ships and participated in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, PJ's portrayal of them in battle made them look like a Scrubbing Bubbles commercial. It was just plain silly.

There are plenty more, but these are ones that occur to me off the top of my head.

fernandito
07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I haven't read the trilogy yet, but in PJ's defense - there are some things that just have to change when translating a book into a movie so that they fit within the context...although what he had to change and what he actually just wanted to change we'll never know. I'll definitely keep your arguments in mind once I get around to reading the books, Jayson.

jayson
07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Well said Feev. There's definitely room for debate when it comes to what PJ felt needed to be changed for the films. When it comes down to it, of all the things I listed above, it's really the Sauron-as-Floating-Eye that is the one that I find I can't abide. The other stuff may be minor details that only matter to a Tolkien-dork like me, but that one is a major sticking point for me.

Whenever it comes to this topic and I think some of my criticisms might be a bit nit-picky, the thing I always find myself asking is "how would I feel if a similar change is made in a DT movie?"

I def look forward to hearing your thoughts about the books versus the films when you have finished the books.

Tiffany
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
R_of_G, your "scrubbing bubbles" analogy made me choke on my ginger ale.

jayson
07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Sorry to make you spit-take Tiffany. :)
It's all I could think of when I watched that scene.

Tiffany
07-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry to make you spit-take Tiffany. :)
It's all I could think of when I watched that scene.

No need to apologize. It was pretty damn funny.

Also, I should've said "metaphor" instead of analogy. I guess if you want to get really technical, it's a simile.

ManOfWesternesse
07-25-2008, 03:10 AM
Actually, the Dead army floating off the ships onto the Pelennor was a damn bad PJ choice imho. We had a good raging battle on the Pelennor, fairly accurate to the Book,(Rohirrim part in it was very well filmed) - then all of a sudden your 'scrubbing bubbles' weird green guys just float accross the field and into Minas Tirith and BAM, no more battle.
It would have been easy enough to have the army Aragorn gathered in the lands of the lower Anduin jump off the ships instead and turn the tide of the battle towards the Gondorian forces.

jayson
07-25-2008, 06:36 AM
It would have been easy enough to have the army Aragorn gathered in the lands of the lower Anduin jump off the ships instead and turn the tide of the battle towards the Gondorian forces.

Nah, that'd be too much like the book and PJ couldn't have that. :lol:

fernandito
08-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Guillermo Talks The Hobbit's Effects
Gollum to be CG once more.
by Patrick Kolan, IGN AU

Australia, August 19, 2008 - Any news on The Hobbit is news worth mentioning these days – and here's a juicy bite. Off the back of an interview with Hellboy and The Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro, the esteemed filmmaker dropped a few nuggets of information into IGN's lap - he was offered Watchmen and declined - and he's already starting to plan out how to handle The Hobbit's creature creation and presentation.

Like Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, del Toro has a soft-spot for the traditions of model-making and real-world workshop effects - something that he intends to carry through to The Hobbit.

He explained, "You have to be very careful not to rely on a single tool – and this is another thing that I share a passion for with Peter Jackson. We both are huge fans of 'old-world' techniques like maquettes, models, miniatures, paintings – and in the case of The Hobbit, I do intend to continue this trend and bring much more animatronics into the mix.

"We need to keep that art form alive, because it brings a textural power to the movie that ultimately affects the content. The creatures somehow seem more tactile and more tangible than CG."

It's clear that The Hobbit will continue the artistry of the model-making seen previously in del Toro's previous work – but he's not one to neglect the power of computer animation either. "I think that some creatures are better served by being completely CG and others are better served by being completely animatronic – and others are only possible if you mix the two."

We naturally enquired if he planned on continuing with a CG Gollum: "Absolutely. I think that it worked perfectly on the [Lord of the Rings] trilogy and if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Brainslinger
08-20-2008, 08:40 AM
I accepted the look of 2nd age Sauron and the Balrog as their descriptions in the books are actually very vague. The Balrog, for example, is simply described as a being of shadow and fire. In my mind I always pictured it as rather large too, so PJ's depiction didn't bother me.

As for the giant Sauron, I don't think his appearance at that time was ever described in detail, so there's no reason to think he didn't look like that.

Actually I think they took his appearance in that scene from the description of Morgoth during the Simalirion. Particularly the scene when he came out of his fortress to fight hand-to-hand with one of the great Elf princes of that time. He was a huge figure covered with armor with his mighty war-hammer Grond.

When it comes down to it, of all the things I listed above, it's really the Sauron-as-Floating-Eye that is the one that I find I can't abide. The other stuff may be minor details that only matter to a Tolkien-dork like me, but that one is a major sticking point for me.

I can sort of see your point there. PJ and his team took the description of the 'Eye of Sauron' rather literally. Gollum's brief description to Frodo of his torture suggests that he had taken some kind of physical form at this point. That being said, I thought the Eye was an iconic way to go, and I'm sure he could look that way if he wanted to. He is a spirit after all.

As for the ghosts, yeah, that was a bit of a liberty on PJ's part. I can understand why he took that route though, as their role would have appeared very small if he followed the books story-line. I agree, he probably should have tried to make the book's version work though.

Overall I thought PJ's imagery was pretty much spot-on for the book. And if Del Toro brings his own ideas to the mix, I don't mind, as long as it a) doesn't deviate from the story and b) doesn't contradict what we've seen in the Rings trilogy.

jayson
08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Actually I think they took his appearance in that scene from the description of Morgoth during the Simalirion. Particularly the scene when he came out of his fortress to fight hand-to-hand with one of the great Elf princes of that time. He was a huge figure covered with armor with his mighty war-hammer Grond.

I agree with you there. It looked MUCH more like the depiction of Morgoth come forth from Angband to fight Fingolfin (who was no longer a prince at the time of that fight but High King of the Noldor).

...I don't mind, as long as it a) doesn't deviate from the story and b) doesn't contradict what we've seen in the Rings trilogy.

It can contradict any of the parts that PJ made up out of whole cloth so long as it doesn't contradict what's in the actual books.

fernandito
10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Dragons, Dwarves and Del Toro
GDT on the challenges of making The Hobbit.
by Jim Vejvoda

October 21, 2008 - "I believe that every single second of that movie is a challenge. The biggest of them all, the most obvious of them all would be Smaug - but that is stating the obvious," said director Guillermo del Toro in his latest interview on his forthcoming screen adaptation of The Hobbit.

Del Toro told TheOneRing.net that "Smaug has the great advantage of having been written like - in my memory and in my view of anti-drama - it is the best Dragon ever written, so that's a great foundation already. You know the fact that he is 'The Magnificent'; he is absolutely so well fleshed out. But in terms of the design, because 'form is function' and function and form ultimately dictate conflict (to an audience). When you're watching a Dragon it's not just how cool it looks, which is obviously the first order if you want to reversed, its the way he looks telling you exactly who he is, you know its first impression."

The filmmaker also spoke about the challenges of realizing The Hobbit's other characters. "The book demands that you make them believable, and that you make at least the name of the thirteen dwarves, the one's that will have fully speaking parts as memorable, but officially you have a story of all of them, and not treat them as secondary characters. ... So you have to strike a real balance so that when that group comes in those are the Seven Samurai and you know by the way they interact with each other that he was chosen because he keeps vigil, he's in command, this one is loyal, these two are fighting all the time but they're willing to die for each other, blah, blah, blah - you have to make all that all on the run. Everything is a challenge. This is the hardest movie I'll probably ever do."

Hannah
10-29-2008, 11:53 AM
At least he's taking the demands of the book to heart when making the movie. I'm so jazzed for it!

I realize I just said "jazzed" and I don't care if it's nerdy.

fernandito
04-17-2009, 11:44 PM
The Hobbit x 2
No bridge film, say del Toro and Jackson.
by Scott Collura

April 17, 2009 - The plan for Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit has long been to make that Lord of the Rings prequel as one film and to then make a "bridge" film which would connect it to the trilogy. That plan, it seems, has changed.

Speaking to Empire, the filmmakers have revealed that The Hobbit will instead be split up over the planned two films.

"We've decided to have The Hobbit span the two movies, including the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur," says del Toro, who will direct the films.

Jackson, director of the LOTR trilogy and producer of The Hobbit, adds that the filmmakers believed it would be "a mistake" to attempt to do the book as one film.

"The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [LOTR] trilogy," he explains.

The films are due in December 2011 and 2012, according to Empire. And now the question is, will there be a third film that will serve as the bridge?

jayson
04-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Translation - Peter Jackson, with his Sauron-sized ego, has more of his own original material to force fit into the story. I suspect that even with two movies, PJ will STILL throw some of Tolkien's material by the wayside and insert some of his own.

I am perplexed as to what kind of "bridge" is necessary between The Hobbit and LotR. The One Ring coming to the Shire with Bilbo is the connection. What the hell else is necessary?

Brice
04-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Translation - Peter Jackson, with his Sauron-sized ego, has more of his own original material to force fit into the story. I suspect that even with two movies, PJ will STILL throw some of Tolkien's material by the wayside and insert some of his own into the movie.

I am perplexed as to what kind of "bridge" is necessary between The Hobbit and LotR. The One Ring coming to the Shire with Bilbo is the connection. What the hell else is necessary?

QFMFT! ;)

Gris
04-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Off topic slightly...

I just looked up Guillermo Del Toro at IMDB to see what else he did besides Hell Boy II and Pan's Labyrinth.

Anyone notice that at the top of his "upcoming movies List" is Bad of Bones?

I didn;t realize it was being made into a movie.

fernandito
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Hobbit Update
Del Toro discusses Gollum and Hobbit horror.
by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, June 8, 2009 - Guillermo del Toro was in London this past weekend promoting new novel The Strain, but while here, he also spilled the beans on his forthcoming adaptation of The Hobbit.

Speaking to the BBC, del Toro said that his Gollum will be similar to the Gollum from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films. "From a design standpoint it will be the same creature, just a few years younger, but I think that there is never a scene quite like the 'riddles in the dark' in the trilogy. As an introduction to Gollum and a flashpoint to the origin on the character, it is so powerful and primal that it would be different in that way. We are presenting a side of the character that is very strong and beautiful and iconic."

Del Toro, whose previous credits include modern horror classics The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, added that his Hobbit is set to scare.

"The intensity of the scenes of The Hobbit will have the intensity that they had in the book when I was a kid reading them. The spiders of Mirkwood are a pretty harrowing experience and facing the great goblin in the caves is quite a thrilling moment. The Battle of the Five Armies, the first encounter with Gollum -- there are scary moments."

However, the director pointed out that the scares arise naturally from the text. "They are already there," he explained. "We are not inventing or trying to do horror for horror's sake. We are trying to imbue those moments of intensity in the book into the film."

The Hobbit is currently in pre-production, with part one of the two-film feature set to be released in December 2011

Empath of the White
06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Sounds awesome; can't wait to see those scenes on the big screen.:dance:

fernandito
06-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Weaving Back for Elrond
Del Toro confirms Hobbit casting rumours.

UK, June 12, 2009 - In a move that will surprise absolutely no-one, Guillermo del Toro has confirmed that Hugo Weaving will return to the Hobbit films, we assume to reprise his role as pointy-eared ring-bearer Elrond.

The helmer spilled the beans whilst being interviewed on BBC radio, with a sharp-eared reader on TheOneNet.Net posting the news.

Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen are also set to return as Gollum and Gandalf respectively.

The Hobbit -- to be split over two movies but now without a bridge film -- will be released in December 2011 and 2012.

fernandito
08-24-2009, 11:56 AM
McKellen: Bilbo is Cast
Gandalf also says the script has been delivered.
by Jim Vejvoda

August 24, 2009 - Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, reportedly knows who's playing Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit.

According to TheOneRing.net, McKellen appeared at this past weekend's Lord of the Rings All Nighter at the BFI Imax in London where he told the audience that he's currently re-reading The Hobbit and expects to be back in New Zealand this March to start shooting the long-awaited film adaptation.

Furthermore, the site claims McKellen said the screenplay adaptation has been turned into the studio and that the actor who will play Bilbo Baggins is expected to receive it sometime this week. That's right: TOR says McKellen knows who's going to play Bilbo, but won't reveal who it is.

Exec producer Peter Jackson said at July's San Diego Comic-Con that, since The Hobbit hadn't been greenlit yet, no actors had been offered any roles in the film. If the script has indeed been completed, turned into the studio and budgeting is under way, then casting would follow thereafter.

One actor TOR is confident won't be playing Bilbo is the oft-rumored James McAvoy. The Wanted and Atonement actor is set to star in I'm With Cancer, which starts filming in January and would conflict with the Hobbit shoot. He also has Wanted 2 on his slate.

cozener
08-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Wanted 2! Sweet!

Tatts4Life
08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
I can't wait for the Hobbit movie. I'm kind of sad that Peter Jackson isn't doing all the film work like he did with the LOTR movies. I love Tel Toros movies but he has those kind of movies like Hellboy and Pans Labyrinth where you look at those and say " Oh look a Del Toro movie." Hopefully the movie will still have Del Toros signature look while keeping the look of the LOTR movies.

Tatts4Life
08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
The Hobbit -- to be split over two movies but now without a bridge film -- will be released in December 2011 and 2012.

so it's gonna be a Hobbit Part 1 & 2 instead of having the Hobbit as one movie? BOO

Gris
08-25-2009, 05:48 AM

so it's gonna be a Hobbit Part 1 & 2 instead of having the Hobbit as one movie? BOO

Sure, why turn a ~320 page book into a tight, concise movie when you can earn twice the profit by charging everyone for 2 tickets?!

Tatts4Life
08-25-2009, 05:58 AM
it just doesn't seem like a two movie type of book. They were able to make each of the LOTR books a 3+ hour movie so why not this one. I still can't wait for this to come out and will see it opening weekend.

cozener
08-25-2009, 07:11 AM
It could be a good thing that its two movies. Yes, The Hobbit really could be told in one movie but this way they'll have no excuse for leaving things out. I fully expect to see Beorn.

fernandito
09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
The Hobbit is Safe
UPDATED: LOTR court case has been settled.

UK, September 8, 2009 - You may remember that the future of The Hobbit movie was being threatened by a court battle between the Tolkien Estate and New Line Cinema - who produced the Lord of the Rings movies.

The descendents of the author were suing the studio over unpaid profits from the enormously successful LOTR trilogy, and were demanding the rights to veto any future movies based on Tolkien's work.

Now it seems the two sides may have come to an understanding, with a scooper for TheOneRing.net reporting that a "tentative settlement" has been reached in the case, which is taking place at the L.A. Superior Court.

The sure-to-be-incredibly complicated financial package - which will most likely include future earnings from Hobbit films - is awaiting the 'okay' from various parties, but this is understood to be a formality.

The long and short of it is that, in the words of TheOneRing's mole: "In all likelihood, this case is no longer going to provide any obstacle to the Hobbit films." Phew!

UPDATED: It's now official. The Tolkien Trust, New Line Cinema, and HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. have resolved the lawsuit relating to the Lord of the Rings films.

The claim was filed in February of last year. HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. and the trustees of the JRR Tolkien Estate were co-plaintiffs in the claim, which concerned plaintiffs' participation interest in the Lord of the Rings films released between 2001 and 2003. The precise terms of the settlement are confidential.

Commenting on the settlement, Christopher Tolkien said: "The Trustees regret that legal action was necessary, but are glad that this dispute has been settled on satisfactory terms that will allow the Tolkien Trust properly to pursue its charitable objectives. The Trustees acknowledge that New Line may now proceed with its proposed films of The Hobbit."

Warner Bros.' President & Chief Operating Officer Alan Horn said: "We deeply value the contributions of the Tolkien novels to the success of our films and are pleased to have put this litigation behind us. We all look forward to a mutually productive and beneficial relationship in the future."

The Lord of the Rings films produced by New Line are among the most successful films ever created and were released in 2001, 2002 and 2003 respectively.

JRR Tolkien is the world-renowned author of works including Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The Tolkien Trust is a UK registered charity that has made grants to charitable causes all over the world totaling over $8 million in the last five years alone.

Throughout its history, New Line has created a number of enduring film franchises, including the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Mask, the Austin Powers titles, Blade, Rush Hour, Elf, Sex and the City and Wedding Crashers. New Line became a unit of Warner Bros. Entertainment in March 2008.

cozener
09-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Warner Bros.' President & Chief Operating Officer Alan Horn said: "We deeply value the contributions of the Tolkien novels to the success of our films and are pleased to have put this litigation behind us. We all look forward to a mutually productive and beneficial relationship in the future."
"contributions"?! Uh...asshole...there wouldn't be any Tolkien films without Tolkien's books. Hello! Gee, ya think this doofus might have worded that one a bit better?

ChristineB
10-11-2009, 09:19 AM
I am sad to see it won't be for a couple more years but happy they came to an agreement so we could see this wonderful book in movie form.

Now just to hope PJ has enough input so it comes out as good as LoTR did. :)

fernandito
11-03-2009, 05:49 PM
McKellen Talks Hobbit
Gandalf has read the scripts and weighs in...
by Christopher Monfette

November 3, 2009 - It's no surprise that Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro will journey together into The Shire with The Hobbit, none whatsoever considering that the original Lord of the Rings trilogy made a boatload of money while maintaining first-rate visuals and performance. Key to those films was actor Ian McKellen whose turn as Gandalf lent the world of elves and dwarves and humans and hobbits a massive amount of thespian gravitas.

And now, it seems – at least according to Sci-Fi Wire – McKellen has read the scripts that will eventually constitute the two halves of del Toro's vision of The Hobbit.

"There are a lot of characters in The Hobbit, including, crucially, Bilbo, and they don't know who's going to play Bilbo. So it's extremely attractive that this part has been written for me. The other Gandalf was written for, well, just as Gandalf. There's lots for me to enjoy, in all sorts of ways. And I couldn't be happier. But I'm sworn to secrecy. I'm not to say anything at all about the script."

McKellen also talked to the outlet about the differences (or lack of differences) between Jackson and del Toro.

"They are the same person. They were separated at birth. They're twins. They have the same attitude. Neither likes working in Hollywood. They're both fascinated by fantasy and violence on the screen, and gore, and things that frighten you. They like going into the psyche. They're both brilliant storytellers in very much the same way. And I think the script, because I have read it, plays very much to Guillermo's strengths, as I've seen them."

Check back with IGN Movies for more on The Hobbit as things develop.

fernandito
11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Double Hobbit News
Aragorn on returning and Del Toro playing an orc?

UK, November 10, 2009 - Today sees an exciting double-dose of Hobbit news hit the net.

Firstly, Guillermo Del Toro has told a German TV show that he's planning to play a creature in the prequel, though "not an important one, just a background guy." He went on to tell The One Ring: "I will have a line or two and die quickly."

Meanwhile yet another LOTRs actor has been talking about reprising his role for The Hobbit. Last week Ian McKellen and John Rhys-Davies were at it, and now Viggo Mortensen has expressed an interest in re-entering the Tolkien-verse.

Del Toro is set to play a creature in The Hobbit, but will it be an orc?

Strider himself told Movieweb that he would "love to return for more" and that the filmmakers were looking for as many ways as possible to incorporate Rings alumni into the project, even if - like Aragorn - they don't appear in the original novel.

So lovely readers, a) do you want to see Strider back, and b) what creature could Del Toro play?

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Aragorn was a kid at the time of The Hobbit, wasn't he? Mortensen can't reprise that role without a MAJOR change to Tolkien's canon....

Unless of course we're going with the notion that in the movies the quest to destroy the ring took place soon after Bilbo left the Shire, meaning only 60 years after Bilbo got the ring, in which case I suppose Aragorn would have been 27 in which case Mortensen possibly could reprise the role....

cozener
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Nah he wasn't a kid. I think he was helping Gandalf deal with "the necromancer" aka Sauron during that time. But don't quote me on that.

I bet del Toro could play an orc just fine....or maybe a spider. I can't really think of anything else he might be.

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Nah he wasn't a kid. I think he was helping Gandalf deal with "the necromancer" aka Sauron during that time. But don't quote me on that.

I bet del Toro could play an orc just fine....or maybe a spider. I can't really think of anything else he might be.

He was 87, and in the books the quest to destroy the ring took place 77 or so years after Bilbo's adventure, which would have made him something like ten years old....

cozener
11-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Yep, you're right. I looked. He was exactly ten when Bilbo found the Ring.

So...maybe he's a really mature ten?

turtlex
11-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Or maybe Hobbit years are different than Human years.

jayson
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
or maybe you all missed the most important part of that article...

"...even if ... they don't appear in the original novel."

get used to it, just like aragorn going over the cliff from the wolf attack which never happened in the book, or lorien elves at helm's deep, or faramir bringing frodo to osgiliath, or frodo trying to save smeagol at mount doom or any number of other things, they are going to continue to make up whatever they want as they go along.

why not just bring feanor in to this too and say he never died? surely he'd be a good companion for them. he and the dwarves could fight over the silmarils.

i just don't understand, nor will i ever understand, the need to ADD material for an adaptation.

directors will tell you over and over about how sorry they are to cut out source material because they just don't have time for it, and yet they fill some of that time with stuff that never actually happened in the book.

cozener
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Maybe they can pull a JJ Abrams and do something where some random orc discovers a way to go back in time and...oh...nevermind.

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2009, 02:26 PM
or maybe you all missed the most important part of that article...

"...even if ... they don't appear in the original novel."

get used to it, just like aragorn going over the cliff from the wolf attack which never happened in the book, or lorien elves at helm's deep, or faramir bringing frodo to osgiliath, or frodo trying to save smeagol at mount doom or any number of other things, they are going to continue to make up whatever they want as they go along.

why not just bring feanor in to this too and say he never died? surely he'd be a good companion for them. he and the dwarves could fight over the silmarils.

i just don't understand, nor will i ever understand, the need to ADD material for an adaptation.

directors will tell you over and over about how sorry they are to cut out source material because they just don't have time for it, and yet they fill some of that time with stuff that never actually happened in the book.

It's annoying but it's a reality--however, that much of a change is going to be jarring, and it didn't even occur to me that a grown Aragorn COULD (let alone WOULD) be in this.... I mean, I see how they can justify him not being a kid given the time change in The Lord of the Rings, but again, for what purpose?

Maybe they can pull a JJ Abrams and do something where some random orc discovers a way to go back in time and...oh...nevermind.

:rofl:

THAT was hilarious!

fernandito
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Hobbit Dates Pushed
Filming to start later, release dates may shift.
by Scott Collura

December 1, 2009 - Brace yourselves: The Hobbit films may be coming later than we thought...

While not quite as devastating as, say, Sauron laying his grubby paws on the One Ring, this is nonetheless disappointing for fans hungry for more cinematic adventures in Middle-earth.

Producer Peter Jackson, Variety tells us, "is predicting production of The Hobbit films will start in the middle of next summer, a few months later than expected." The filmmaker, who is promoting his new film The Lovely Bones, made the statement while talking to a German website that the trade paper rather unprofessionally neglects to name. Alas, that's how they do at Variety.

"Jackson explained he's hoping to complete the second Hobbit script -- written with Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and director Guillermo del Toro -- by the beginning of next year, which would trigger calculation of the budget and setting a start for lensing in New Zealand," relays Variety.

It is currently unknown how this will affect, if at all, the films' previously announced release dates of December 2011 and December 2012. So stay tuned.

fernandito
01-21-2010, 06:06 AM
New Hobbit Rumour a Lie
Del Toro and Jackson debunk the latest Middle Earth gossip.

UK, January 19, 2010 - Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro have moved quickly to nix the latest round of Hobbit casting speculation.

British tabloid The Sun is reporting that Tobey Maguire was definitely cast as Bilbo Baggins, now that the star had quit the Spider-Man franchise.

All lies, according to the filmmakers, who got in touch with Aint It Cool News to put the record straight. Peter Jackson said: "No truth at all, although we're all big fans of Tobey. We are currently auditioning for Bilbo, and a month or two away from any announcements." Del Toro meanwhile merely said: "It's not true".

The news throws into doubt some of the paper's other recent movie scoops, such as be-quiffed X-factor duo Jedward' auditioning to play dwarf twins Fili and Kili (also in The Hobbit) and Eddie Murphy playing The Riddler in Batman 3.
The first installment of The Hobbit is set for a 2011 release.

ManOfWesternesse
01-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Hobbit Dates Pushed
Filming to start later, release dates may shift.
by Scott Collura

December 1, 2009 - Brace yourselves: The Hobbit films may be coming later than we thought....

EEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the update fp.
based on that, it's pretty likely that they'll overrun (mabye by quite a bit).
I'm hungry for more Middle Earth.

fernandito
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm just happy knowing that production has already begun! :excited:

fernandito
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Peter Jackson Talks Hobbit Rumors
Updates on scripts, casting, more.
by Scott Collura

April 16, 2010 - Those freakin' Internet rumors. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Though as far as Peter Jackson is concerned, he can live without them -- especially when they're about his upcoming Hobbit adaptations. And today he's setting the record straight on the status of the project.

Moviefone asked him about the scuttlebutt that the first film has been delayed, to which Jackson replied that there's more butt than scuttle to be found in such talk.

"Well, it's not really been delayed, because we've never announced the date," he says. "I mean it's sort of interesting because the studio [MGM] has never greenlit The Hobbit, so therefore The Hobbit has never been officially announced as a 'go' project, nor have we ever announced a date. But there's so much interest that people -- newspapers and magazines, of their own account, say, 'Ah, it's likely to film in May, it's likely to film in June, it's likely to film in September.' People make this stuff up. And then if it's not filming in June, you get a story saying, 'The Hobbit's been delayed.' But it's never actually been announced."

(Not the actual Peter Jackson)

So what is going on with the pictures? Jackson says the script was just delivered to the studio last week -- the first draft of the second of the two screenplays, that is. The first script is already with them.

"So the studio's got both scripts now, which is a milestone; and if anything was holding it up, it was us doing the screenplays, because we'd just been writing as fast as we can, but it took us this long to get them finished," he explains. "So we take whatever responsibility there is for the speed. And we're now in the process of budgeting the films, and then hopefully we'll get to a budget the studio [people] are happy with, and they'll greenlight the movies and we'll announce the shooting dates. I'd be pretty optimistic that we'll be shooting before the end of the year. I would imagine October, November, we'd be shooting by. I'm not announcing it, though."

As for casting, no actors have signed on yet -- not even those from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But Jackson hopes to start making announcements regarding casting by the middle of the year. They have done "a little bit" of auditioning, however.

So there you have it -- all straight from Jackson himself. Look Ma -- no rumors!

Tatts4Life
04-20-2010, 05:55 AM
There shouldn't be any more announcements about ANYTHING dealing with this movie until they make the announcement saying "We are now filming". It kills me every time I come in here only to see it's been delayed, Filming starts soon, There's no green lit for the movie yet. Talk about a cock tease.

fernandito
05-28-2010, 07:02 PM
GDT: No Hobbit Start Date
MGM's financial crisis is holding up production.

IGN Movies participated in a press conference yesterday with filmmaker Guillermo del Toro to talk about Splice, the new sci-fi/thriller that he exec produced. During the conference a few tidbits of information leaked out about the long-anticipated Hobbit film, which has been stymied by the financial woes of its debt-ridden studio, MGM.

"It's not greenlit. That's categorical. It's not greenlit," del Toro stressed. "There can't be any start date, really, until the MGM situation gets resolved because they do hold a considerable portion of the rights and it's impossible to make a unilateral decision by New Line or Warner. We really believe that dates will be known after the fact of MGM's fate. Whether they stay and get supported or they get bought or they transfer some of the rights, nobody knows. We've been caught in a very tangled negotiation."

Del Toro did say, however, they are already prepared to start working on the film once MGM's situation has been resolved. "We have designed all the creatures," he said. "We have designed the sets, the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned very lengthy action sequences. We have scary sequences and funny sequences and we are very, very prepared for when it's finally triggered, but we don't know anything until MGM is solved."

Del Toro also dispelled the rumor going around about the film receiving the 3D treatment. "3D has been discussed literally once in the room," he said. "The budget and the schedule and everything we're handling -- the cost of the film and the number of days it would take to shoot -- is being handled right now without looking towards 3D. Is there a chance it would become 3D in the future? Maybe. But right now it's not being planned as such."

fernandito
05-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Guillermo del Toro leaves 'The Hobbit'

After spending the last two years developing "The Hobbit" as his latest directing project, Guillermo del Toro has announced he is leaving the helm of the J. R. R. Tolkien adaptation.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life,” Guillermo wrote in his announcement on "Lord of the Rings" fansite TheOneRing.net. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

He said he would continue to co-write the screenplays with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillippa Boyens.

The walls started to crumble for del Toro in recent weeks as the uncertain future of MGM put the project, which was to have been two movies, in a limbo state. The producers had been hoping to be in production this summer but no greenlight was forthcoming.

That put pressure del Toro, who has a laundry list of development projects outlined for the next 10 years, in a position of cutting bait or staying on for more uncertainty. The director moved his wife and children to New Zealand for the shoot, and the first movie was aiming for a December 2012 release.

"The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project," said del Toro in his statement. "Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Jackson stated he understood del Toro's position: "We understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone’s control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects. The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn’t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years."

Jackson said development on "Hobbit" would continue apace, although his statement did not specifically address any possible postponement of the release date.

"New Line and Warner Bros. will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work," he said.

fernandito
05-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Guillermo del Toro leaves 'The Hobbit'

After spending the last two years developing "The Hobbit" as his latest directing project, Guillermo del Toro has announced he is leaving the helm of the J. R. R. Tolkien adaptation.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life,” Guillermo wrote in his announcement on "Lord of the Rings" fansite TheOneRing.net. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

He said he would continue to co-write the screenplays with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillippa Boyens.

The walls started to crumble for del Toro in recent weeks as the uncertain future of MGM put the project, which was to have been two movies, in a limbo state. The producers had been hoping to be in production this summer but no greenlight was forthcoming.

That put pressure del Toro, who has a laundry list of development projects outlined for the next 10 years, in a position of cutting bait or staying on for more uncertainty. The director moved his wife and children to New Zealand for the shoot, and the first movie was aiming for a December 2012 release.

"The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project," said del Toro in his statement. "Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Jackson stated he understood del Toro's position: "We understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone’s control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects. The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn’t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years."

Jackson said development on "Hobbit" would continue apace, although his statement did not specifically address any possible postponement of the release date.

"New Line and Warner Bros. will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work," he said.

*Will be merged later*

Still Servant
05-30-2010, 06:39 PM
This is awful news In fact, it pretty much ruined what's left of my day.

I know there is a lot of business that is holding this project up, but MGM has to realize that the faster they green light The Hobbit, the faster they will make truck loads of money.

If it means you have to red light every crappy movie that you will release in the next 4 years, then do it.

I don't blame del Toro, you can't ask him to wait forever. I mean, they haven't even announced who's playing Bilbo yet.

It's ridiculous.

ArtherEld
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
First thought that came to my mind: fuckpiss.

Ruthful
05-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Wait, I thought Peter Jackson was directing it?

ArtherEld
05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
God... watch it be Michael Bay...

JRM
05-31-2010, 02:57 PM
:pullhair:

Rjeso
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
This is such a bummer, because I love anything that del Toro's ever had a hand in, but I'd rather see his list of other projects get under way than see it all held up because of two Hobbit movies. Peter Jackson's already involved as a producer and he's got nothing on his plate at the moment, directorially-speaking, so I hope he steps up to the bat and continues lending his exceptional Middle Earth expertise to the project in a more direct way (pun semi-intended, hee).

disel24
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
It's unfortunate BUT I'm glad Del Toro realized that there was nothing to be done for the situation and moved on.

He's a fantastic artist and has some great things lined up (Hellboy 3 being one of them) and I hope to GOD that whoever takes over directing these films isn't a total cockbite and knows to treat the material with respect.

Rjeso
06-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Hellboy 3. :drool:

Empath of the White
06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I was looking forward to his take on Middle Earth, especially the scene in Mirkwood. Ah well, bring on At the Mountains of Madness and Hellboy 3!

turtlex
06-03-2010, 03:29 AM
You know, I'm wondering if something else might be in play here - The Hobbit, it's gonna have a built in fan base and is practically gauranteed to make good money. Why hasn't another studio bid for it and picked it up, bought it from MGM? Especially since Del Toro was attached? :orely:

fernandito
06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Peter Jackson Will Direct The Hobbit?
LOTR fans rejoice... Jackson to head back to the Shire.
LOTR fans rejoice! Peter Jackson is in talks to direct The Hobbit.

Deadline is reporting that Jackson is currently in negotiations with MGM and Warner Bros. to direct both of the Hobbit films.

Late last month, Guillermo del Toro exited the director's chair after spending nearly two years working on The Hobbit in New Zealand. Rumors started swirling around the Web after del Toro's departure that Neill Blomkamp (District 9) or David Yates (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) would fill in as director. But Deadline says no offers were ever made.

- Getty Images
"Yes! The Hobbit is mine! My precious..."

"He will shortly take the reins over from Guillermo del Toro, after Jackson extricates himself from other project obligations that caused Jackson and manager Ken Kamins to initially deny he would be the director," explains the site. "While Jackson's camp has been tight-lipped, I'm told that the case is being made to MGM's owners to loosen the purse strings and make the movies happen. The impetus for these talks is that Jackson will be the director of both of The Hobbit films, which will be shot back-to-back in his New Zealand backyard."

Along with his writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, Jackson is scheduled to go to London and Los Angeles over the next couple of weeks to meet "the most impressive" actors who are under consideration for the film.

We will keep you updated on this developing story as more details unfold!

Still Servant
06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Once Del Toro backed out, I felt it was inevitable for P.J. to step in.

I'm not shocked or disappointed. I would have loved to see Del Toro take a shot at it, but he couldn't wait forever.

DoctorDodge
06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Ok. Initially, I was dissapointed that Del Toro left the director's chair of The Hobbit, seeing as how much I love the imagination displayed in Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy films (also going :drool: at the possibility of a third one!), but if Peter Jackson does get to direct The Hobbit, then they'd have the only other man capable of doing it justice, if the LotR films are anything to go by. I'm crossing my fingers for this to happen!

Even if his King Kong remake was seriously crap.

Tatts4Life
06-30-2010, 07:42 AM
With the Hobbit movie then movies I was hoping that it would be PJ mainly because I LOVED the first movies with the look and everything and wanted it to look the way the LOTR movies did. When the announced Del Toro I was too afraid that it would look like a hobbit version of Hellboy or Pan's Labyrinth.

ManOfWesternesse
06-30-2010, 10:21 AM
[B][I]Peter Jackson Will Direct.......
Good news!:drool:

frik
07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
If I remember correctly, the first part of The Hobbit would hit theatres December 2011. That turned into December 2012 and now 2013 is mentioned as the most likely target date.
The possibility of PJ directing The Hobbit movies is great news indeed. I do love, and admire, del Toro's work, but the Lord of the Rings trilogy is among the best ten hours I've ever spent in the cinema.

Oh, and I love PJ's King Kong! :P

sk

Empath of the White
07-02-2010, 07:18 AM
I too enjoyed the remake. At least we can expect more consistency between the LOTR films and The Hobbit as far as visuals are concerned. I would have liked to seen Middle Earth in the vein of Hellboy/Pan's Labyrinth, but I can imagine Del Toro's take would be a drastic difference.

Tatts4Life
07-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I too enjoyed the remake. At least we can expect more consistency between the LOTR films and The Hobbit as far as visuals are concerned. I would have liked to seen Middle Earth in the vein of Hellboy/Pan's Labyrinth, but I can imagine Del Toro's take would be a drastic difference.

This was my major concern too.

fernandito
09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Do We Have Our Bilbo?
Longtime fan fave for the lead role may still be in play.
September 8, 2010
by Jim Vejvoda

Even though rumors spread earlier this week that scheduling conflicts were going to prevent him from taking the job, a new report suggests that it's still possible for fan favorite Martin Freeman to play Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit.

Entertainment Weekly claims that, although recent reports said Freeman's commitment to playing Dr. John Watson in the second season of the BBC series Sherlock had effectively killed his chances of playing Bilbo, sources close to the production tell them "New Line and MGM, the studios backing the Hobbit films, have since come back to Freeman with a proposed schedule that would allow him to shoot both projects. All parties are currently negotiating a deal."

Source. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/111/1119025p1.html)

fernandito
10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Hobbit Inches Closer
Jackson on the verge of finalizing directing deal.
October 4, 2010
by Scott Collura

Peter Jackson is on the verge of finalizing a deal to direct the two Hobbit films while talks between MGM and Warner Bros., both of which have a stake in the films, get closer to giving the dual projects a greenlight.

According to The Wrap, Jackson's "deal is all but complete, according to individuals close to the project. Both Jackson's directing fee and percentage of the gross have been settled, though a number of lesser deal points remain outstanding."

Of course, he replaces Guillermo del Toro, who left The Hobbit after the project was repeatedly delayed.

Inevitably, as the two films finally approach becoming a reality, talk of a 3D production has also come up.

"At Warner's, executives are eager to get production under way, given that sets are already built in New Zealand and the cast is chafing on hold for a start date," reports the site. "About $30 million has already been spent on the project, the first part of which is scheduled to hit theaters Dec. 19, 2012."

Meanwhile, the BBC says that New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has spoken out about the union dispute that some have said could lead to the production leaving his country. Key said that the government was taking "the unusual step of holding initial discussions with those involved in a move to break the deadlock on pay."

fernandito
10-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Go, Go Hobbit!
Prequels finally get a greenlight -- and a start date.
October 15, 2010

Peter Jackson's two-film take on The Hobbit has finally gotten a greenlight and now has an official start date.

The Wrap reports that the Lord of the Rings prequel project will begin production in February, as per "an individual close to the" films.

"In the final agreement this week, Jackson's deal was finalized and MGM and Warner Bros. agreed to give the project its greenlight," says the site. Sets have already been built in New Zealand and actors have been on hold for months.

Jackson, the man behind all three LOTR films, will direct in addition to producing and writing the two Hobbits.

Meanwhile, the labor issues surrounding the project continue. The New Zealand Herald reports that the decision on whether or not the production will happen in New Zealand is still at least a week away "and in the hands of Warner Bros. despite a 'useful and productive' meeting today between filmmakers and Actors Equity."

Stay tuned for more on this as soon as we hear it…

alkanto
10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
:excited:

Finally! Took them long enough...now how soon do you think we will hear any casting news?

fernandito
10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
At the rate things are going, we could see a casting announcement as early as January of next year. I'm dying to know who's going to play Bilbo ... :orely:

frik
10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
This is great news. Plus the fact Peter Jackson himself will be directing - excellent.
So, December 2012 for the first one?

sk

mystima
10-16-2010, 03:21 AM
I read that the actor who played Arthur Dent in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy might be playing Bilbo...that is what I read.

Brainslinger
10-16-2010, 08:11 AM
I read that the actor who played Arthur Dent in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy might be playing Bilbo...that is what I read.

Martin Freeman. (He is well known over here for a role the original British version of The Office.)

I don't think it's finalised, but I read that too. He is commited to the next series of Sherlock at the moment but if they can work something out, it seems he is open to it. More information here (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29175).

I think he would be an excellent choice. He is a very hobbity chap. Actually, I suppose I am too, for all my six feet. :)

fernandito
10-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Back when Del Toro was still spearheading the film, there were strong rumors of James McAvoy coming on board to play Bilbo. Don't know if he's still an option at this point though ...

fernandito
10-16-2010, 12:54 PM
!!!!!

Two Magnetos in The Hobbit?
More casting buzz for the now greenlit LOTR prequel.
October 15, 2010

With The Hobbit having now finally received a green-light to commence production in February, the industry scuttlebutt is that the Peter Jackson-directed film could boast not one but two Magnetos, plus two Doctors -- a Who and a Jekyll.

"Word is Martin Freeman will soon be set to play Bilbo Baggins," according to Deadline. Furthermore, they claim James Nesbitt (star of TV's Jekyll, as well as Paul Greengrass' Bloody Sunday) "has been offered a role." They add that the oft-rumored David Tennant (Doctor Who) is also being pursued for a role in the two-part epic, while Andy Serkis is expected to return as Gollum.

But here's where Deadline's casting story gets particularly interesting for fanboys, as they report that Irish actor Michael Fassbender (Centurion, Jonah Hex) is also being considered for an unspecified role. Fassbender, as you may know, is currently playing young Magneto in the prequel X-Men: First Class. Should he be cast in The Hobbit, Fassbender will find himself in a cast that includes his predecessor in the role of the master of magnetism, Sir Ian McKellen, who is expected to reprise his role as the wizard Gandalf.

Stay tuned for more news from The Shire as it happens. Meanwhile, sound off in the Comments below with who you think these new additions might play!

Emily
10-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Wowzers. I'll be so happy if Martin Freeman plays Bilbo. Since I've heard that, I've had trouble picturing any other actor playing Bilbo. I can't wait for this to get going.

alkanto
10-16-2010, 01:18 PM
As much as I love him, I don't think Tennant would be the right Bilbo. Especially since we are basing him as a younger Ian Holm.
Martin Freeman in the role, I do like. He would be quite entertaining.

Brainslinger
10-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Tennant would probably make a good elf character with his looks.

alkanto
10-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, that could work. He could be Legolas' dad. The king of Mirkwood....I forget what his name was.

Emily
10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Thranduil... yea I could see that actually.

turtlex
10-18-2010, 03:50 AM
I was watching the Sunday Morning Shootout with Peter Guber and Peter Bart and they were talking about the Hobbit. They predict 500 million for costs, and then an additional 200-300 million for marketing... we're talking about a BILLION dollars for these films! That's just a little nuts.

ManOfWesternesse
10-18-2010, 03:58 AM
... they claim James Nesbitt (star of TV's Jekyll, as well as Paul Greengrass' Bloody Sunday) "has been offered a role."...
Hmmm, Nesbitt is good. - I have a feeling he'd make a good Thorin ??

alkanto
10-22-2010, 05:22 AM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/10/21/39468-meet-your-hobbit-cast/#more-39468

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Yes! I'm so unbelievably happy with this news post....We have our cast! :D :D

DoctorDodge
10-22-2010, 05:25 AM
:excited: Yay for Freeman as Bilbo!

alkanto
10-22-2010, 05:30 AM
I know! He's perfect! Also, Richard Armitage excites me for Thorin. He was awesome in the BBC Robin Hood, and I know he will do fantastically! :D

DoctorDodge
10-22-2010, 05:37 AM
I didn't watch that much of Robin Hood or Spooks/MI-5, if i'm honest, so I'm not so fussed about his casting. But i'm also glad to see Bill Nighy amongst that cast as well. Well, his voice, at least. And interesting to see just how bloody British this cast is! Even a soap actor's in it! And holy shit, I've just noticed: Aidan Turner from Being Human! Fucking hell, that is awesome!

Wow, first Watson, now Bilbo Baggins (which people have been campaining for on many internet message boards for years). What classic British icon will Freeman tackle next? Arthur Dent! Oh, no, hang on...

alkanto
10-22-2010, 05:50 AM
I do like Martin Freeman. I'm beyond excited to be able to finally watch Sherlock in two days time! :D From all that I've watched, as far as previews online, he does a fantastic job. Plus, he was awesome in Hitchhiker's Guide...
Did you see that? What were your thoughts? Not many people in my family enjoyed it, but I am usually the only one who gets British humor, so that didn't necessarily surprise me, but I thought it was much better than was the general consensus.

Did you see my speculation a few posts up regarding Tennant? I still think he would be awesome as Thranduil.

DoctorDodge
10-22-2010, 06:02 AM
For me, it wasn't as enjoyable as the radio series or the first book. It was ok, and I love both Martin Freeman and Zooey Deyschanel, but it was hardly my favourite film of the year, really.

And I did see your speculation earlier, and I do agree he would make a good fit for the King of Mirkwood. Definitely a better fit than as Bilbo, at least.

Brainslinger
10-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Okay, I came across an article describing the casting... and rushed here and it seems most of you know already! Heh. (I'd have thought Aidan Turner would be a bit pretty for a dwarf, but imagining him with a big beard and helmet, I can just about see it.)

Any how, here's the article (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29275) in case anyone's interested.

fernandito
10-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Don't know much about this Freeman bloke, but he seems to be very highly regarded and I'm eager to see what he'll bring to the table.

DoctorDodge
10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
He played Tim in the Office (proper one) and is in the new Sherlock series as John Watson. It's starts in the US on PBS Masterpiece on Sunday. Feev - sorry, AmanDUH - I really recommend catching that. Amazingly brilliant new take on a British classic, and easily one of the best shows to come out of the UK in the past 5 years, at least (and that includes Life on Mars and Doctor Who, for crying out loud!) .Then you'll see what the fuss is about with Freeman being the perfect man to play Bilbo without needing to watch the Office! ;)

DoctorDodge
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Another casting announcement has been made: Scottish actor Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown, but has not been signed yet.

Source. (http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2010/10/sylvester-mccoy-wins-role-in-hobbit.html)

alkanto
10-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I was just going to post this, actually. You beat me to it!

I'm quite excited...I everything falls into place with this casting. It would be brilliant!

cozener
10-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Wow...Radagast huh? They really are adding material aren't they?

Brainslinger
10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow...Radagast huh? They really are adding material aren't they?

Actually I'd have thought Radagast would have been better suited to The Fellowship of the Ring. In the books it was him who sent the eagles to rescue Gandalf from Orthanc, rather than all that stuff with that mucking about with the moth (enchanting scene though it was). Insects and birds don't speak the same language! A Wizard should know that! :)

Joking aside, I suspect much of the added stuff will be from the appendices section of Lord of the Rings which deal with that time period. There's quite a bit of in-between stuff. And of course it appears Gandalf was up to quite a bit of other stuff when the dwarves (and one hobbit) were on their quest. Interestingly it would seem that off-page stuff was actually quite a bit more important than their quest, at least as far as the future good of Middle Earth as a whole was concerned. I'd imagine the films will cover that.

Oh and Sylvester McCoy is an excellent choice for Radagast!

turtlex
10-27-2010, 04:38 AM
'Hobbit' films to be made in New Zealand
By RAY LILLEY, Associated Press

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – Two $500 million "Hobbit" movies will be made in New Zealand as originally planned, Prime Minister John Key said Wednesday, after two days of crisis talks with Hollywood studio executives.

Senior executives from Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema won an agreement for a change in labor law and bigger tax breaks to keep the project in New Zealand after a dispute over pay and conditions for actors threw the production into turmoil last week.

The studios had warned that unless the threat of labor action was removed, production of the two movies would be moved to another country.

The dispute became a national issue in New Zealand, which received a huge boost to its tourism and film-making industries after "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy was made here. Hundreds of people marched in several cities Monday to show their support for keeping production in New Zealand.

"The Hobbit" is J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to "The Lord of the Rings."

Key says the package includes an extra tax break of NZ$20 million ($15 million) for the studios, on top of $45 million already pledged by the government.

A labor law change will be put to Parliament on Thursday "to ensure New Zealand law in this area is settled to give producers like Warner Bros. the confidence they need to produce their movies in New Zealand," he said.

The change — which applies only to the film industry — ensures actors and others will be hired as contract workers, a method often used by production companies, not as employees. The union had wanted local actors and other production workers to be hired as full-fledged employees on union contracts.

New Zealand will also contribute $7.5 million to help with marketing costs of the two films.

"It's good to have the uncertainty (surrounding the movies) over and to have everyone now full steam ahead on producing these two movies," Key told reporters after two days of intensive talks in the capital, Wellington.

Economists have said the overall value of producing the films in New Zealand would add up to 2 billion New Zealand dollars ($1.5 billion) to the local economy — nearly 2 percent of annual gross domestic production.

The crisis over production of the two movies unfolded after New Zealand Actors' Equity imposed an international "no work" boycott on the project last month after director Peter Jackson refused to hold talks on wages and conditions for local actors.

The U.S.-based Screen Actors Guild and British actors joined the boycott. But last week, New Zealand Actors' Equity called off their boycotts and pledged to refrain from industrial action during production.

frik
10-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Yeahhh!!!!!!

This makes my day!!!

sk

Tatts4Life
10-28-2010, 05:26 AM
Watching the Lord of the ring movies makes me want to visit New Zealand. That place looks amazing.

alkanto
11-02-2010, 05:11 AM
PETER JACKSON ANNOUNCES LATEST ADDITION TO THE HOBBIT CAST James Nesbitt Confirmed to Play Major Role in The Hobbit.

(LOS ANGELES November 1, 2010) –One of Britain’s most beloved actors, James Nesbitt (Millions and TV’s Cold Feet), is the latest actor to join the ensemble cast of The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Nesbitt will play Bofur, a disarmingly forthright, funny and occasionally brave Dwarf. “James’s charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles. We feel very lucky to be able to welcome him as one of our cast.” said director Peter Jackson.

Newcomer, Adam Brown will play Ori, another of the Dwarf Company which sets out to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the infamous dragon, Smaug. Jackson comments, “Adam is a wonderfully expressive actor and has a unique screen presence. I look forward to seeing him bring Ori to life”.

Nesbitt and Brown will join the cast announced on October 21, which includes Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage (soon to appear in Captain America: The First Avenger), Aidan Turner (TV’s Being Human), Rob Kazinsky (TVs EastEnders), Graham McTavish (Secretariat), John Callen (TV’s Power Rangers Jungle Fury), Stephen Hunter (TV’s All Saints), Mark Hadlow (King Kong) and Peter Hambleton (TV’s The Strip).

Since The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing with release dates set for December, 2012 and December, 2013. The two The Hobbit films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed LOTR trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

More: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/11/01/40005-breaking-news-james-nesbitt-is-bofur-adam-brown-is-ori

fernandito
11-03-2010, 12:05 PM
RED ALERT !

McKellen Not Signed for The Hobbit
Gandalf appears tired of waiting for that call to come.
November 3, 2010
by Jim Vejvoda

Sir Ian McKellen is waiting, Mr. Jackson.

The actor, who played the wizard Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, tells Broadway World that he "is not under contract" to appear in Jackson's two-part adaptation of The Hobbit.

"I'm not going to say any more than that because it might complicate things! So, I would say - at the moment - no, I am not under contract," said McKellen. He added, laughing, "I'm not saying any more than what I've said!"

Oh, but of course he did say more than that. McKellen added cryptically, "I'm keeping myself open for offers for 2011. I gather The Hobbit starts shooting in February."

And we gather McKellen either wants to know for sure he's onboard for it or move onto his next gig. Consider yourselves warned by the great Gandalf, powers-that-be!

alkanto
11-03-2010, 12:26 PM
How is this even possible? He should have been the first person signed on to this project!

fernandito
11-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Seriously ! I'm hoping this is just an oversight by Jackson, he better haul ass and get Mckellen on board !

alkanto
11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Still...pretty damn big oversight! Especially because McKellen is so keen on involvement. If they mess this one up, it is entirely on the shoulders of the production team/Jackson's shoulders.

It does raise the question, though - who else could possibly play Gandalf? I'm pretty sure this will be taken care of, but what if?

Emily
11-03-2010, 12:34 PM
If it is an oversight, then it's a pretty serious one. I'll be so disappointed if McKellen isn't Gandalf in this.

fernandito
11-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't want to imagine a Hobbit film without McKellen, but if I had to name a replacement ... Tom Cruise.

DoctorDodge
11-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Really? I was kinda hoping for Rob Schneider, myself.

alkanto
11-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't want to imagine a Hobbit film without McKellen, but if I had to name a replacement ... Tom Cruise.

I refuse to accept you even saying this....:lol:

I dunno...Michael Gambon is obviously pretty good at the elderly wizard character, but he's far too iconic as Dumbledore to really take on Gandalf as well...

ETA: Dammit, not you too, DD! I'm gonna have to leave this board before my head explodes from the harm you are causing to my childhood....:lol:

frik
11-04-2010, 09:52 AM
McKellen will be back - mark my words!

sk

fernandito
11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh I don't doubt he'll be back, it just amazes me that those in charge of casting haven't secured McKellen , who is one of the films/series cornerstones.

turtlex
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Can't believe Sir Ian McKellen wasn't one of the first contracts sent out.

... and it's not like the guy needs work, he could sign for any film, at any time. I mean, they're still talking about X-Men:Origins Magneto and though he might not star, he's gotta have some face time there.

fernandito
11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I mean, the guys a Sir for Gan's sake ! A Sir ! You don't keep Sirs waiting.

And Pam - I heard that the Magneto movie was all but dead ... :cry:

cozener
11-08-2010, 08:01 AM
I wonder if Blessed is going to play Beorn...it would be a good fit I think. But then I also imagined him playing a dwarf.

Darkthoughts
11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Brian Blessed would be superb as Beorn. Who is cast as Bombadil? He's one of my favourites.

John_and_Yoko
11-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Brian Blessed would be superb as Beorn. Who is cast as Bombadil? He's one of my favourites.

IS Tom Bombadil going to be in this at all? Last I checked he was in The Lord of the Rings but not The Hobbit....

alkanto
11-08-2010, 12:24 PM
If he will be in it at all, I can almost guarantee it will be in the second movie. He doesn't really fit into the original story of The Hobbit....

Though I can't say for sure whether he'd be included at all. While he is a very fun and memorable character, his presence did nothing to really advance the plot, from a film perspective, which is why they left him out in the first place...I doubt it.

Chap
11-08-2010, 04:07 PM
The Hobbit without McKellen would be the exact opposite of LotR without Liv Tyler.

Does that make sense? It does in my head.

Darkthoughts
11-09-2010, 08:26 AM
IS Tom Bombadil going to be in this at all? Last I checked he was in The Lord of the Rings but not The Hobbit....
:doh: Quite right, I must have just been hoping :D

While he is a very fun and memorable character, his presence did nothing to really advance the plot, from a film perspective, which is why they left him out in the first place...I doubt it.
It was such a shame because he is an AWESOME character. Yes, seeing as they missed out the whole part about the barrow wights and everything in LoTR then he wasn't necessary to the film I suppose, but he was necessary to me - and he was an interesting parallel to the wizards (and Galadriel) in that he had all this power and couldn't be corrupted by the ring.

turtlex
11-09-2010, 08:28 AM
The Hobbit without McKellen would be the exact opposite of LotR without Liv Tyler.

Does that make sense? It does in my head.

Chap. :wub:

cozener
11-30-2010, 08:00 AM
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978742109

I'm sorry but this is outrageous. For an Asian to show up to an audition expecting to play a hobbit is like me showing up to an audition expecting to play Genghis Kahn.

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I was a little shocked that people would get so upset that they were looking for a specific type to cast. Would they be shocked if an ad went up looking for a black person to play Martin Luther King? I get diversity, but come on.

fernandito
11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Yeah, this is a touchy subject ... I'm against discrimination too, but I mean come on ...

DoctorDodge
11-30-2010, 10:28 AM
I kept reading until I saw the words, "According to the Daily Mail." For those of you outside the UK, molehills = mountains to this newspaper.

For an even better idea of what the Daily Mail is, here's a website I continually laugh my arse off at: http://www.angrymob.uponnothing.co.uk/daily-mail-dictionary

fernandito
11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
The Hobbit Set for McKellen and 3D
Red announces Jackson to shoot films on Epic digital cameras.
November 29, 2010
by Jim Vejvoda

It appears that Ian McKellen will indeed return to The Shire for the two-part adaptation of The Hobbit. McKellen recently said that he had yet to sign a contract for the two-part film

TheOneRing.net points out this update at McKellen's official site that seemingly confirms his return as Gandalf: "The Hobbit's, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in February 2011. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth."

In related news, Red has announced that The Hobbit will be shot in 3D using Red Digital Cinema's soon to be released Epic Digital Cameras. The Hobbit will be amongst the first productions in the world to use the Epic and at least thirty cameras will be required by the 3D production. The Epic'S small size and relatively low weight, makes it perfect for 3D - where two cameras have to be mounted on each 3D rig.

"I have always liked the look of Red footage," said Hobbit director Peter Jackson in a statement. "I'm not a scientist or mathematician, but the image Red produces has a much more filmic feel than most of the other digital formats. I find the picture quality appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim [Jannard, owner and founder of Red] and his team have gone even further. It is a fantastic tool, the Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo."

Finally, Total Film has posted some spy photos of the Shire set in New Zealand.

Sam
11-30-2010, 07:39 PM
By the time they finally start filming thie Ian McKellan's grandson will be able to star as Bilbo.

John_and_Yoko
11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh, not 3D.... :(

velcro_fly
11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Why do they have to ruin everything with 3D. Its just a fad, it will pass :angry:

cozener
12-01-2010, 06:58 AM
From what I gathered reading this article it doesn't look like it's going to be 3d as in "wearing special glasses so you can get Smaug's scaly dick in your face" (which is not to say that this wouldn't hold it's own entertainment value) as much as it is about picture quality. Did I misread that?

Still Servant
12-01-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm sure people will have the choice of 2D and 3D. If 3D isn't your thing, just go see the 2D one.

Tatts4Life
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I can't wait till we can get the 3D where we don't need to wear the glasses.

On a side note. WHEN THE HELL ARE THEY GONNA RELEASE THE EXTENDED VERSION OF LOTR ON BLU-RAY?!!!!!! I have the DVD version and would LOVE to see a Blu-ray version of it. I've been waiting forever.

cozener
12-06-2010, 05:58 AM
This is great news. Plus the fact Peter Jackson himself will be directing - excellent.

sk He did great with LotR and I think he'll do great with The Hobbit (the two movies should certainly be more consistent in the their general feel) but I really wish Del Toro were still directing this one with Jackson producing and writing.

Merlin1958
12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978742109

I'm sorry but this is outrageous. For an Asian to show up to an audition expecting to play a hobbit is like me showing up to an audition expecting to play Genghis Kahn.

LOL More like Ron Howard (in the day) auditioning to play Martin Luther King!!!!

Merlin1958
12-06-2010, 03:48 PM

sk He did great with LotR and I think he'll do great with The Hobbit (the two movies should certainly be more consistent in the their general feel) but I really wish Del Toro were still directing this one with Jackson producing and writing.

I don't know. To me, this was Jackson's film from the get-go and they just wasted time screwing around with other venues. You gotta admit Middle Earth was created by Jackson for the silverscreen.

cozener
12-07-2010, 06:13 AM
After seeing Pan's Labyrinth I just think that Del Toro can bring a more "childlike" atmosphere that, I feel, the Hobbit needs.

haunted.lunchbox
12-07-2010, 07:20 AM
LOVED Pan's Labyrinth. I wish more movies were made like it.

Merlin1958
12-07-2010, 09:01 AM
After seeing Pan's Labyrinth I just think that Del Toro can bring a more "childlike" atmosphere that, I feel, the Hobbit needs.

While I don't necessarily agree that it needs a "childlike" atmosphere, I can totally see where you're coming from. In that case, yeah Del Toro directing with Jackson producing would be a better fit.

cozener
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
The Hobbit was intended to be a children's story. LotR was directed at an older audience.
But that said I could be underestimating PJ. Just because I haven't seen him put a spin like that on a film doesn't mean he can't.

Merlin1958
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
The Hobbit was intended to be a children's story. LotR was directed at an older audience.
But that said I could be underestimating PJ. Just because I haven't seen him put a spin like that on a film doesn't mean he can't.

Oh I know he wrote it as a children's book (Actually his or his grandchildren I forget which at the moment) it's just, to me anyway, it never really read like that, though i suppose many children's books, in retrospect, were more "adult" in nature. I just always saw it as the first of a four book story. But hey, that's just me!!! I could imagine many kids never being able to sleep again after the "Gollum" sequence!!!! LOL

fernandito
12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
More Hobbit Casting
Galadriel returns, plus a load of dwarves and more.
December 7, 2010
User icon for scottcolluraLevel 11
by Scott Collura

The Hobbit casting -- and for fans of the original book -- confounding continues. Today word has come that Cate Blanchett will be back as the glimmering Galadriel, a character who was not in the actual J. R. R. Tolkien novel.

Deadline has the news of Blanchett's casting. The actress of course played the character in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films. Galadriel was in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales books, however, so this gives us a notion perhaps as to how Jackson is filling out his two Hobbits.

The site also reports that former Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy will play the wizard Radagast the Brown (which had been rumored), Ken Stott (Charlie Wilson's War) will be the dwarf Lord Balin, Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt is now to forever be known as the skin-changer Beorn, Ryan Gage (Outlaw) is Drogo Baggins, Jed Brophy (a LOTR vet) is the dwarf Nori and William Kircher will play the dwarf Bifur.

Production begins in February.

alkanto
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
This makes me happy! Especially Sylvester McCoy as Radagast. I read yesterday that he was a heavy contender for Bilbo in the trilogy but lost it out in the end...it was down to just him and Ian Holm! Glad to see he's made it back into Middle Earth.

The 3D thing pisses me off, though. Those damn glasses give me a headache, and they are quite hard to wear over my regular glasses. Not to mention I have a small, so they never fit properly...this phase needs to pass. And quickly.

alkanto
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
It's Official: Ian McKellan to Return as Gandalf in 'The Hobbit'
"Ian McKellen has signed on to return as wizard Gandalf in The Hobbit, the two-pic adaptation of the J.R.R. Tolkien novel being directed by Peter Jackson.
The dealmaking on Hobbit for a slew of Jackson veterans from his Lord of the Rings trilogy has been coming fast and furious and comes on the heels of Andy Serkis finally inking his deal to reprise Gollum.
The Hobbit book introduced Gandalf and Gollum, with both characters going on to become part of literature’s most popular characters. Gandalf sets the adventure going in the story and appears throughout the novel. Gollum appears in a chapter that has gone on to be one of the most memorable in all of fantasy literature.
Elijah Wood signed his deal to return as Frodo last week, and Cate Blanchett will play Galadriel once again. Orlando Bloom has an offer to return as elf archer Legolas, though it’s too early to tell if a deal will be made.
McKellen, who was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Gandalf, has spent recent years doing mostly voice work for film and TV, although he did star in the remake of AMC's The Prisoner. His last major film role was in 2006’s X-Men: The Last Stand.
Hobbit starts shooting Feb. 14 in New Zealand."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/ian-mckellan-set-return-gandalf-69960

Took them long enough! I'm glad to see something finally worked out for both parties, though.

velcro_fly
01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
:excited:

RUBE
01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Wait. Why is Frodo in this?