PDA

View Full Version : Charlie The Choo Choo Sales

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Brian861
08-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Not sure if this is the correct place to start this but I figured it'd be fun and informative to keep track of the madness for ourselves and new members as they come along.

I'll start with the ones from eBay so far and you guys can let me know of any off eBay, private sales, etc. I'll start with the highest and where it was sold.

eBay-$1913.88 August 2, 2016
eBay-$1600.00 July 28, 2016
eBay-$1525.00 July 28, 2016
eBay-$1500.00 August 7, 2016
eBay-$1199.99 July 27, 2016
eBay-$1199.99 July 25, 2016
eBay-$1136.00 August 7, 2016
eBay-$1113.88 August 5, 2016
eBay-$1099.99 July 26, 2016
eBay-$1099.99 July 25, 2016
eBay-$1070.59 July 25, 2016
eBay-$1000.00 August 9, 2016
eBay-$1,000.00 August 29, 2016
eBay-$999.00 August 8, 2016
eBay-$961.03 August 13, 2016
eBay-$900.00 August 6, 2016
eBay-$895.00 September 29, 2016
eBay-$850.00 September 13, 2016
ebay-$811.00 (Dt.Org auction of unsigned copy benefiting The Haven Foundation) September 4, 2016
eBay-$810.00 August 7, 2016
eBay-$795.00 October 26, 2016
eBay-$761.00 October 30, 2016
eBay-$751.00 August 6, 2016
eBay-$512.00 September 20, 2016
eBay-$500.00 September 28, 2016
eBay-$500.00 (T-Shirt included in sale) August 4, 2016
eBay-$430.00 October 13, 2016
eBay-$428.00 October 8, 2016

Member Sells
By ****: Unsigned copy for $750.00 August 7, 2016

Edit: Updated 12/01/2016.

Ricky
08-07-2016, 08:47 AM
That is ridiculous. Like, a whole other level of ridiculous.

Merlin1958
08-07-2016, 09:17 AM
TMSG has been usurped!!! lol

Randall Flagg
08-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Someone got a deal for $500 including the shirt. Despite the likelihood that 500 books were done, I don't think they are going to drop much below $500.

Theli
08-07-2016, 11:57 AM
^I expect it will stay around that price, but I wouldn't be surprised in fluctuation going either way. Not worth that price to me though...

firemonkey66
08-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Someone got a deal for $500 including the shirt. Despite the likelihood that 500 books were done, I don't think they are going to drop much below $500.

Definitely seems like a good deal (relatively speaking) considering where the average price has been landing. Another one just sold for 1136 today. I would love to see what would happen if somebody listed one right now that was actually signed by King. If one almost broke 2000 just because it was inscribed to Jake, I could only guess that a real king signature (and not just a crappy laid-in plate) would make for an interesting auction.

Randall Flagg
08-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Speculation as to the price of a King and Dameron signed copy (I know,I know, ask Matt :) )?

I say...$2K

firemonkey66
08-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Speculation as to the price of a King and Dameron signed copy (I know,I know, ask Matt :) )?

I say...$2K

Right now, being the first one to come to market, I would guess 2500 on the low end, and 3500+ on the high end. Maybe even more. I mean if somebody is actually willing to pay 1200 dollars for a copy signed by an actress - a literal nobody with no real connection to the book - then who knows what somebody would pay for the signature of the actual author and the artist.

tippy4
08-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Might as well speculate a quadruple signed book....

King
Dameron
The actor paid to be Beryl Evans
The artist who did the additional illustrations.

What do you think....would an unsigned copy be worth more than one signed by "Beryl Evans"? For my collection, I would prefer that.

ICry4Oy
08-07-2016, 01:26 PM
The way the fake book signed by the fake author is now, I still wouldn't pay more than $100 and I'd hate myself for paying that much. It's shit like this and some of the recent King books not signed by King for over $1000 that make me wish I had never started any type of collecting.

Randall Flagg
08-07-2016, 01:41 PM

King
Dameron

What do you think....would an unsigned copy be worth more than one signed by "Beryl Evans"? For my collection, I would prefer that.

This is a real oddity. It is still not clear (and never may be) if the initial auction prices were driven by movie promo collectors, King collectors, or comic convention collectors. My guess is a combination of all those factors, combined with the initial belief that only 150-200 were done. Now that it is likely 500 were done, the price will be driven down.
In book collecting, not much attention (value) has been placed on having the artist for the book sign it. I believe there is less value by having it signed by an obviously fake actor. Purely a stunt.

In order of value per my own thoughts:

King signed copy. King wrote the words that are quoted verbatim in the book.

Ned Dameron signed copy. Dameron was the source artist.

Unsigned copy.

Copy signed by hired actor.

IIRC, only King signed the S/L TGWLTG. No one cares about Alan Dingman, or Peter Abrahams.

firemonkey66
08-07-2016, 04:13 PM

King
Dameron

If I was actually going to buy one, I would prefer an unsigned copy to one signed by the actress. In my mind, her signature devalues the book in pretty much the same way that my own signature would devalue it: neither of us have any business signing a Stephen King book (although, I guess she was hired to sign it, so it was technically her business, but you know what I mean).

It's fun to speculate on value, but this is definitely one of those King items that I will never own unless someone gives it to me as a gift. Cool book, but I would rather spend that type of money on another Gunslinger...and another....annnd another....pretty much ad infinitum.

firemonkey66
08-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Holy shit, while I was typing that another one sold for 1500 dollars! Just when you think that the price is going down...

Brian861
08-07-2016, 05:14 PM
A member sold his unsigned copy for $750. If I were to buy one signed by the actress and inscribed to another person; I wouldn't go more than $250.

Brian861
08-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Post #1 updated.

Randall Flagg
08-07-2016, 07:00 PM
A member sold his unsigned copy for $750. If I were to buy one signed by the actress and inscribed to another person; I wouldn't go more than $250.
That would indicate there is a high degree of interest from collectors here on the site.

webstar1000
08-08-2016, 03:07 AM
Can we call this "Charlie the Coo Coo"???? Man those prices. lol

carlosdetweiller
08-08-2016, 03:30 AM
That would indicate there is a high degree of interest from collectors here on the site.

Of course there is. And, despite many of the naysayers and negative comments that have been posted, I think that all of us would love to add a copy to our collections. I don't have one in hand yet but I have been watching the eBay auctions closely. Some copies seem more desirable than others. About half the copies that have sold on eBay have defects like bumped corners and spines. You have to look at the photos closely but they are there. One auction currently running has troublesome black marks on the rear cover. The actress who signed as Beryl Evans seemed to get tired of signing (my assumption) as her signature seems much sloppier on some copies and sometimes she signs only as "Beryl." I would much prefer an undinged, clean copy with a full Beryl Evans signature.

I would value a copy signed by Beryl Evans (even though she was a paid actress) higher than an unsigned copy. To my knowledge there are no copies available signed by King so that is a moot point for now.

From what I have heard Ned Dameron said he was too busy to do new artwork for the book but gave his OK to use his piece for the cover. Because of that I don't think he is necessarily a contributor and don't see how his signature would affect the value of the book one way or another.

becca69
08-08-2016, 05:50 AM
Well it will be interesting to see what happens when the other copies are released. I'm still hoping for a NYCC giveaway and I'm wondering if they will hire a Claudia Bachman actress this time?

carlosdetweiller
08-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Well it will be interesting to see what happens when the other copies are released. I'm still hoping for a NYCC giveaway and I'm wondering if they will hire a Claudia Bachman actress this time?

I thought of that too. But wouldn't they have to reprint the book with Claudia's name as the author?

becca69
08-08-2016, 06:12 AM

I thought of that too. But wouldn't they have to reprint the book with Claudia's name as the author?

Hmmm, I didn't think that through very well...

firemonkey66
08-08-2016, 06:26 AM
I would value a copy signed by Beryl Evans (even though she was a paid actress) higher than an unsigned copy. To my knowledge there are no copies available signed by King so that is a moot point for now.

I feel like we won't have to wait too long before one emerges that is signed by King. With the values what they are, there's got to be at least one or two people actively trying to intersect with King in order to get a signature. Then again, maybe he wouldn't even sign it. He might just tell the person holding out the book that he didn't write it, Beryl Evans did! Haha, he seems quirky enough where that might be a definite possibility.

carlosdetweiller
08-08-2016, 06:55 AM

I feel like we won't have to wait too long before one emerges that is signed by King. With the values what they are, there's got to be at least one or two people actively trying to intersect with King in order to get a signature. Then again, maybe he wouldn't even sign it. He might just tell the person holding out the book that he didn't write it, Beryl Evans did! Haha, he seems quirky enough where that might be a definite possibility.

All good points and possibilities. But he now readily signs the Richard Bachman books so he likely would sign Charlie books, IMO.

webstar1000
08-08-2016, 07:16 AM

All good points and possibilities. But he now readily signs the Richard Bachman books so he likely would sign Charlie books, IMO.

I think he would too. No problem. I still would not have an interest in one at that price... I would rather a 1st signed IT or Slinger for those kind of prices~ You know, we all talk about it here how we are shocked they are selling for these prices... but there is CLEARLY a market. Maybe not here... but there is a market. It shocks me but people are willing to plunk down major cash for something that cost literally a few bucks to produce.

firemonkey66
08-08-2016, 07:24 AM

That's true. If he refused, I think it would be more of a goof than an actual unwillingness to sign it. Kind of like a funny extension of the promo. He'll sign one eventually, though, and somebody will put it on eBay, and that will be an awesome auction to follow! I think we will all be surprised at where the final price point ends up, one way or another.

carlosdetweiller
08-08-2016, 07:30 AM

That's true. If he refused, I think it would be more of a goof than an actual unwillingness to sign it. Kind of like a funny extension of the promo. He'll sign one eventually, though, and somebody will put it on eBay, and that will be an awesome auction to follow! I think we will all be surprised at where the final price point ends up, one way or another.

Would we be too surprised if it sold for less than a "Beryl Evans" signed SDCC copy? With those selling recently in the $1500 range (up to nearly $2000) it would shock me if a King signed copy topped that.

Shannon
08-08-2016, 08:10 AM
What I'm confused about is that ... these people are willing to spend this kind of money on this type of book ... yet they don't belong to the #1 King collecting group on the internet? Who are these people?

zelig
08-08-2016, 08:14 AM
I believe most of them are not King collectors. Maybe they're in the movie industry.

firemonkey66
08-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Would we be too surprised if it sold for less than a "Beryl Evans" signed SDCC copy? With those selling recently in the $1500 range (up to nearly $2000) it would shock me if a King signed copy topped that.

I would be very surprised if a copy signed by King sold for less than 2000, or basically less than the highest price paid for a Beryl Evans signed copy. There are probably other types of collectors vying for a copy, but I think the high final auction price points alone are indicative of a healthy number of competitive King collectors being involved. Say what you want about this being a promo item, but it is still a book-format Dark Tower collectible, which means there are plenty of serious King collectors interested in having a copy. Come on, it's Charlie the Choo Choo in the flesh! Straight out of the Dark Tower world. One signed by King is going to be somebody's pride and joy at some point, and they are going to pay a pretty penny for it.

wizardsrainbow
08-08-2016, 10:10 AM
My advice...WAIT...there are 350 still to be distributed almost 2.5x amount given away at Comic Con...You should be able to get these at $350 or less.

webstar1000
08-08-2016, 10:11 AM
My advice...WAIT...there are 350 still to be distributed almost 2.5x amount given away at Comic Con...You should be able to get these at $350 or less.

100% agree.. and I bet there are MORE than 350...

carlosdetweiller
08-08-2016, 10:32 AM

Supposedly there are still hundreds of New Lieutenant's Rap's waiting to be distributed too.

Ari_Racing
08-08-2016, 10:37 AM
The fact against a lower price of the item is that there are more collectors than just SK ones.

firemonkey66
08-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Supposedly there are still hundreds of New Lieutenant's Rap's waiting to be distributed too.

Hahahaha, an excellent and foreboding point:)

Ari_Racing
08-08-2016, 10:40 AM
And 50 remarqued Little Sisters of Eluria ;)

DoctorZaius
08-08-2016, 12:57 PM
What I'm confused about is that ... these people are willing to spend this kind of money on this type of book ... yet they don't belong to the #1 King collecting group on the internet? Who are these people?

I don't there are "other" people. I think our only competition are King collectors. Those in attendance at the SDCC are just making a buck off the rest of us. I was there a couple of years ago and got Monster High dolls for my daughters and picked up some to sell on eBay later on. I made a killing, but I think I was selling to Monster High collectors, whoever they are, and not to some phantom SDCC collector. Just my opinion. When the others are released, I agree that the price will come down. I am going to Boston Comic Con this weekend and I keep hoping that King will release some more!

Lilja
08-09-2016, 06:00 AM

How do you know there are 350 left to be distributed? I have only heard about 150 copies.

Lilja

Ari_Racing
08-09-2016, 06:29 AM
I also got confirmation that 500 were produced.

Lilja
08-09-2016, 06:31 AM
OK, so that probably means that they will do something like this at New York Comic Con as well...

webstar1000
08-09-2016, 06:44 AM
I also got confirmation that 500 were produced.

Ill bet there was more than than. There was prob that many to be distributed but I know a many that have gotten copies much like a PC...

Rahfa
08-09-2016, 06:53 AM
It doesn't matter how many WERE produced - now they know there's demand and can produce as many as they want. It's not like SK signed it - it's basically reprinting a movie poster.

Anybody who paid more than a couple hundred has made a big mistake. If they reprint these for the other Comic Cons, it will destroy the market that barely existed in the first place.

(I guess you wouldn't get a Beryl Evans signature - maybe that will matter to a few people)

webstar1000
08-09-2016, 08:14 AM
It doesn't matter how many WERE produced - now they know there's demand and can produce as many as they want. It's not like SK signed it - it's basically reprinting a movie poster.

Anybody who paid more than a couple hundred has made a big mistake. If they reprint these for the other Comic Cons, it will destroy the market that barely existed in the first place.

(I guess you wouldn't get a Beryl Evans signature - maybe that will matter to a few people)

But it DOES matter how many are produced. IT is the whole point on this... supply and demand. If there was only a 150 then the crazy prices may not seem so crazy...... they sure do now knowing that there are over 500 out there...

tippy4
08-09-2016, 09:35 AM

But it DOES matter how many are produced. IT is the whole point on this... supply and demand. If there was only a 150 then the crazy prices may not seem so crazy...... they sure do now knowing that there are over 500 out there...

I think he is saying it does not matter how many were made on the first print run because they can make more tomorrow....and the day after that,......and the day after that....and odds are they will be identical to the first print run.

carlosdetweiller
08-09-2016, 10:17 AM

They could print (or reprint) as many as they wanted but I don't see why they would be motivated to do so. They handed out 150 or so at SDCC and we have reports that the print run was 500. But they are not selling them....they are giving them away free. Sure there is a demand (frenzy might be a more appropriate word) but the producers aren't getting any of the sales money. I guess it all goes back to promoting the movie, word of mouth, publicity, etc. But I just don't see why they would rush right back to the printer for more copies. Or am I missing something obvious?

tippy4
08-09-2016, 02:32 PM
I for one fail to see how this is promoting the movie.

I am not arguing that this is not the intent of the people that put out the book (I have heard it was Sony)....but how does handing out what appears to be a children's book with no mention of the movie in it a promotion?

carlosdetweiller
08-09-2016, 03:37 PM
I for one fail to see how this is promoting the movie.

I am not arguing that this is not the intent of the people that put out the book (I have heard it was Sony)....but how does handing out what appears to be a children's book with no mention of the movie in it a promotion?

I don't understand how it promotes the movie either, but that is the only possible reason I could think of for this stunt. What are your thoughts regarding the corporate motives for publishing and handing out this book? I'm stumped. But, in the same vein, I can't see how printing even more copies to hand out freely at conventions does anything for the corporate bottom line.

firemonkey66
08-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Maybe once a high open market value is established, they'll giveaway copies to like the first 100 people to buy tickets to the movie and then giveaway another 100 to random movie theatre patrons on Friday nights or something to try to get more people to go see the movie. Just a random thought. Or maybe they just want to generate excitement and increased attendance at subsequent Comic Cons where they're advertising the movie.

Theli
08-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Well, it does have us talking about it...

Randall Flagg
08-09-2016, 06:25 PM
It's (Choo Choo book) a stunt. We have a thread about the "Sombra Group". It's the new marketing for a movie. $1 million dollars for physical and digital promotional stuff is nothing (small potatoes) to Sony and other producers of the movie.
One had to watch a spider video for several minutes, then catch a QR code, freeze the video, then use a phone to find out it was a long (poem, statement, not sure).

The SDCC was so cheap for them. Wild guess but $5k to the original artist, $2K to modify/add the art. $2K (max) to print 500 books. $1K to "Beryl Evans" to sign for an hour or two.

Free marketing for King freaks (like us) came from with SK tweeting while holding a copy of the book.

"Priceless".

$10K for the book promo is .0005 of the $20+ million dollar movie budget.

webstar1000
08-10-2016, 04:49 AM
It's (Choo Choo book) a stunt. We have a thread about the "Sombra Group". It's the new marketing for a movie. $1 million dollars for physical and digital promotional stuff is nothing (small potatoes) to Sony and other producers of the movie.
One had to watch a spider video for several minutes, then catch a QR code, freeze the video, then use a phone to find out it was a long (poem, statement, not sure).

The SDCC was so cheap for them. Wild guess but $5k to the original artist, $2K to modify/add the art. $2K (max) to print 500 books. $1K to "Beryl Evans" to sign for an hour or two.

Free marketing for King freaks (like us) came from with SK tweeting while holding a copy of the book.

"Priceless".

$10K for the book promo is .0005 of the $20+ million dollar movie budget.

Totally agree with this. I think it is brilliant on their part... subtle marketing. I do it here at work ALL THE TIME. You stop in for your order and you leave with a pen (that has my brand and phone/website on it)... not that much different.

Tommy
08-10-2016, 05:04 AM
I wonder if a copy/prop of it will somehow make it into the film(s)?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-10-2016, 07:58 AM

Its an absolute certainty it will be in the film.

webstar1000
08-10-2016, 08:51 AM

I agree Alan.

wizardsrainbow
08-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Might have been asked before.....what do you think this movie will do to prices of Dark Tower books etc? I mean, will we see a 1st Gunslinger go from $700 to $1000 for example?

webstar1000
08-11-2016, 03:29 AM
Might have been asked before.....what do you think this movie will do to prices of Dark Tower books etc? I mean, will we see a 1st Gunslinger go from $700 to $1000 for example?

HAS TOO... but only if the movie is good/hit. Which there is a good chance it will be. This could be a good opportunity for Sony and I think they know that. I think you will see all DT books shoot up. When the Lord of the RIngs came out I actively started trying to get the books but alas they were so high I passed. Same with Harry Potter... I think your right David... 25% ish jump isn't crazy by any means...

carlosdetweiller
08-11-2016, 03:44 AM

Alan, do you really know for certain? Or just a strong hunch?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-11-2016, 04:01 AM
Alan, do you really know for certain? Or just a strong hunch?

Educated guess.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-11-2016, 04:04 AM

I don't think the movie will have any effect on the price of a 1st Gunslinger. The movie is very loosly based on the 3rd book only, and because it is a long way removed from the actual story, I don't think prices will vary either way.

Although, the movie might bomb, just like Cell did. What would happen to prices then?

webstar1000
08-11-2016, 05:15 AM

I don't think the movie will have any effect on the price of a 1st Gunslinger. The movie is very loosly based on the 3rd book only, and because it is a long way removed from the actual story, I don't think prices will vary either way.

Although, the movie might bomb, just like Cell did. What would happen to prices then?

I totally disagree with this. They will increase as people will get interested in the source material. They will not go down as the King collecting market will still be there. Supply and Demand will be in effect if the movie is good... 100% and I am willing to bet you on this.

Bev Vincent
08-11-2016, 06:06 AM

I totally disagree with this. They will increase as people will get interested in the source material. They will not go down as the King collecting market will still be there. Supply and Demand will be in effect if the movie is good... 100% and I am willing to bet you on this.

I don't think that the movie will significantly increase or decrease interest in or the value of collectible editions of the books. If people like the movie, they might go out and buy a used paperback or download an eBook, but they're not suddenly going to want to buy a $1000 edition (thereby increasing the pressure on the market) just because the film did will. If the film doesn't do well, I can't see it having any impact, either, because there'll be no change in interest in those editions. The avid book collectors will still be there.

stroppygoblin
08-11-2016, 08:46 AM

I don't think that the movie will significantly increase or decrease interest in or the value of collectible editions of the books. If people like the movie, they might go out and buy a used paperback or download an eBook, but they're not suddenly going to want to buy a $1000 edition (thereby increasing the pressure on the market) just because the film did will. If the film doesn't do well, I can't see it having any impact, either, because there'll be no change in interest in those editions. The avid book collectors will still be there.

I think there will be some impact but small. The movie will open up a new market of people who previously were not aware of the DT books. Unlike LOTR where most people were at least aware of the fact that the films were originally books, a large amount of the the DT movie viewers will have no idea of the books existence and the fact it was based on a story by Stephen King (much like the Green Mile and Shawshank). Some of these will go looking and will, as Bev says, just buy a cheap paperback, but others (and i'm thinking Comicon types) will discover the Limited's and these people are Collectors with a capital "C". I have no doubt it will cause a peak in DT limited sales as people come looking for them.

Shannon
08-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Has anyone we know sold a Choo Choo copy for $1,000+? Anyone here?

If not, may I suggest that ... they (Sony) are selling the books back and forth to each other and only really losing eBay fees? To build word of mouth?

webstar1000
08-11-2016, 09:06 AM

If not, may I suggest that ... they (Sony) are selling the books back and forth to each other and only really losing eBay fees? To build word of mouth?

With who? A few King collectors? I can't imagine it... Ari got $750 for one and I know a chap who sold one (on Ebay) for $999.

Bev Vincent
08-11-2016, 09:28 AM

That seems highly unlikely. Who would they be building word of mouth among? A handful of collectors? That's far too subtle to be effective marketing.

Shannon
08-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Just spitballin' here, because its ridiculous, lol.

Merlin1958
08-11-2016, 11:24 AM

I wouldn't think that the film will impact the collectible market too much. Regular sales will definitely spike, but IMHO collectibles will see only a small bump. At least for the first film.

Randall Flagg
08-11-2016, 02:00 PM

That sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. They already had 500+ people stand in line to receive 150 copies at the SDCC (or are you suggesting that in addition to hiring Beryl Evans, they hides 500 day actors to stand in line?).

becca69
08-11-2016, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't think that the film will impact the collectible market too much. Regular sales will definitely spike, but IMHO collectibles will see only a small bump. At least for the first film.

IDK - Game of Thrones (although a TV show) has significantly impacted the sales/prices of collectible books. I saw Hunger Games and Twilight do the same (signed 1st trade editions). At least for a short time, whether the movie does well or not, I think there will be a demand for the DT sets - S/Ls and trade/artists editions.

Sir_Boomme
08-11-2016, 02:45 PM

I think there will be some impact but small. The movie will open up a new market of people who previously were not aware of the DT books. Unlike LOTR where most people were at least aware of the fact that the films were originally books, a large amount of the the DT movie viewers will have no idea of the books existence and the fact it was based on a story by Stephen King (much like the Green Mile and Shawshank). Some of these will go looking and will, as Bev says, just buy a cheap paperback, but others (and i'm thinking Comicon types) will discover the Limited's and these people are Collectors with a capital "C". I have no doubt it will cause a peak in DT limited sales as people come looking for them.

but then look what the movies did to the prices of the collectible Harry Potter books. Never know...

Br!an
08-11-2016, 02:59 PM
That sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

C'm'on, you've surely heard something dumber. :orely: I know for sure that I've read dumber ideas and opinions on this site.

Patrick
08-11-2016, 03:18 PM
I agree with those saying the movie can only help the collectible book market or, at worst, have no effect. I was thinking of the same examples already mentioned - Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, etc.

tippy4
08-11-2016, 05:55 PM

I don't think the movie will have any effect on the price of a 1st Gunslinger. The movie is very loosely based on the 3rd book only, and because it is a long way removed from the actual story, I don't think prices will vary either way.

Agreed that the movie will not effect the price of the book.

I think the movie will be a bomb....probably a bigger bomb than the recent Ghostbusters remake. Dont get me wrong...I want to like the movie and probably will, but I just do not see it being a commercial success.

Sir_Boomme
08-11-2016, 07:29 PM
That sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

C'm'on, you've surely heard something dumber. :orely: I know for sure that I've read dumber ideas and opinions on this site.

I know Jerome's wife probably has...

Randall Flagg
08-12-2016, 04:51 AM
I meant that Sony doing that type of marketing was/would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Shannon's post only ranks in the top 10, not actual 1st place.

Rahfa
08-12-2016, 05:24 AM
I agree that the movie will have limited effect on the collectible market.

The movie will make for a boost in READERS, but the jump from reading to collecting is a big jump - and the number of people who go from "hey, a movie about a book I never heard of" to "and now I'll spend $5K on a signed/limited edition of a book from 1982 I never heard of until Idris Elba played him in a movie" will be very, very small. And if you'd already read the book, you're not going to be like "a movie? Oh, well, now I'll def. spend $5K on a book!"

The difference in Harry Potter is that the books and movies generated the collector's market within the same window of time - you could be a contemporary fan of the book and THEN grow up to collect a high-end memory from your childhood. It was all happening within a few years.

In the Dark Tower case, the 40-somethings with money are ALREADY collecting SK books or they aren't - I just don't see the movie inspiring a 20-something to become a collector...especially when there's so many books to buy. Obviously, there will be a few individuals who do jump in, but not enough to do anything but create a little blip in the market and then it will fall back to the normal range.

On the other hand, since we're not the ones spending this crazy money for these Choo-Choo books, apparently some people are jumping in with both feet - so something's going on!

Rahfa
08-12-2016, 05:34 AM

I think he is saying it does not matter how many were made on the first print run because they can make more tomorrow....and the day after that,......and the day after that....and odds are they will be identical to the first print run.

Exactly - they'll print more at other Comic-Cons, and then print more when the movie comes out (if they want) and just print and print and print.

It's just a goofy collectible for word-of-mouth. They're probably surprised there's demand for it too.

Merlin1958
08-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Exactly - they'll print more at other Comic-Cons, and then print more when the movie comes out (if they want) and just print and print and print.

It's just a goofy collectible for word-of-mouth. They're probably surprised there's demand for it too.

Sort of brings to mind the clamor over the "Dark Score Lake" Phonographs not too long ago. Still, it is TDT related and therefore more desirable to hard core fans than other King works.

Ari_Racing
08-12-2016, 07:37 AM
I agree. Dark Score Lake sales reached more than 200 dollars per copy. I was unable to get one since I wasn't gonna pay that much.

Merlin1958
08-12-2016, 07:52 AM
I agree. Dark Score Lake sales reached more than 200 dollars per copy. I was unable to get one since I wasn't gonna pay that much.

Yep, as I recall I got the "DVD" portion free from my Brother in law, but had to go $250 for the phonograph. lol lol What we king collectors get ourselves into!! lol

webstar1000
08-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Can someone (Bill or Ari?) fill me in on the Dark Score thing? I am unaware.. thanks in advance!

Br!an
08-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Can someone (Bill or Ari?) fill me in on the Dark Score thing? I am unaware.. thanks in advance!

It was a promo for A&E's Bag Of Bones.

https://firewireblog.com/2011/11/22/very-cool-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones-phonograph-press-kit/

https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-4.jpg?w=580
https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-12-e1321984455702.jpg?w=580
https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-2-e1321984498759.jpg?w=580https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-3.jpg?w=580

webstar1000
08-12-2016, 08:07 AM

It was a promo for A&E's Bag Of Bones.

https://firewireblog.com/2011/11/22/very-cool-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones-phonograph-press-kit/

https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-4.jpg?w=580
https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-12-e1321984455702.jpg?w=580
https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-2-e1321984498759.jpg?w=580https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-3.jpg?w=580

Thanks! And they were hard to get?

Bev Vincent

Dark Score Stories (http://jchutchins.net/dark-score-stories/) was a photo album promo that came out in association with the Bag of Bones miniseries.

Ari_Racing
I got that item directly from the TV Channel. What I didn't get was the Coffee table book.

Merlin1958
08-12-2016, 08:33 AM
I got that item directly from the TV Channel. What I didn't get was the Coffee table book.

LOL I was vice versa. My brother in law did work for A&E and sent me the DVD portion for Xmas. Then I had to hunt dowm the phonograph. And a working one at that. many didn't actually work as I recall.

Shannon
08-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Man, that phonograph was cool. I remember being so happy when I found one lol

webstar1000
08-12-2016, 09:12 AM

LOL I was vice versa. My brother in law did work for A&E and sent me the DVD portion for Xmas. Then I had to hunt dowm the phonograph. And a working one at that. many didn't actually work as I recall.

They actually played? WOW! I never knew that.

needfulthings
08-12-2016, 10:29 AM
To my knowledge the Dark Score Stories book is the hardest to find (not sure how many were printed?) But I never found one on the 2nd hand market (EBAY or internet searches) Just now did another Bookfinder.com. search with 0 results. When BAD PENNY sold off his collection (With David at Betts) I went through his collection images & discovered lurking there was a copy of the elusive book. This RARE GEM was Not included in the Bett's inventory. I am so PLEASED that HIS book now resides in my collection.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6913/TwYJlL.jpg

Randall Flagg
08-12-2016, 10:35 AM

They actually played? WOW! I never knew that.
The music played (I think the dummy record also spun-not sure about that), but it wasn't a working record player. If you look at the pics, you can see the arm doesn't move to actually set it on the LP.

Bev Vincent
08-12-2016, 10:38 AM
The music played (I think the dummy record also spun-not sure about that), but it wasn't a working record player. If you look at the pics, you can see the arm doesn't move to actually set it on the LP.

Yeah, it was a microchip player, like in a greeting card, and the turntable spun.

The Library Policeman
08-12-2016, 10:39 AM
I have one of those Dark Score Stories books too. Still in the shrink wrap.

herbertwest
08-12-2016, 11:58 AM
And for information, the "player" is in cardboard, but still pretty nice !
The DARK SCORE STORIES includes a nicely written intro by Mick Garris, and I believe that he signed the books.

needfulthings
08-12-2016, 12:02 PM
And for information, the "player" is in cardboard, but still pretty nice !
The DARK SCORE STORIES includes a nicely written intro by Mick Garris, and I believe that he signed the books.
PRINTED SIGNATURE ONLY.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/8266/2etvqK.jpg

Lilja
08-15-2016, 05:42 AM
That book had some fun photos with my site Lilja's Library in them:

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/bob_promo1.jpg

Here are some of the stuff that was actaully used in the book:

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/darkscorebook4.jpg

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/darkscorebook5.jpg

And I even got this fake book:

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/mikenoonan_book4.jpg

Signed by Pierce Brosnan as Mike Noonan.

Lilja

Ari_Racing
08-15-2016, 05:47 AM
Very nice!

Ari_Racing
08-15-2016, 06:24 AM

I read the script (I finished it last night) and nothing was mentioned. It might still appear, but it'd be just an "easter egg" than something that plays a part in the movie.

webstar1000
08-15-2016, 06:42 AM

I read the script (I finished it last night) and nothing was mentioned. It might still appear, but it'd be just an "easter egg" than something that plays a part in the movie.

Ari, you read the script to the movie they are filming now? Can I ask two things? 1) How did you come to receive it? and 2) what do you think being a massive King fan.... do you like what you read?

Ari_Racing
08-15-2016, 06:45 AM
A contact shared it with me. :)

Without spoiling anything please don't expect an adaptation but a spin-off. That's more accurate. One of the six EW SDCC articles pretty much sumarizes the movie. It'll probably be a good film for non DT readers but DT fans will probably complain.

A LOT.

carlosdetweiller
08-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Without spoiling anything please don't expect an adaptation but a spin-off. That's more accurate. One of the six EW SDCC articles pretty much sumarizes the movie. It'll probably be a good film for non DT readers but DT fans will probably complain.

A LOT.

I have seen or heard nothing about the movie that kindles a single spark of interest in me. Movies almost always are a let down to me if I have read and really liked the book that came before. Heck, I even liked Kinsella's Shoeless Joe better than the movie Field of Dreams.

I'll probably catch The Dark Tower on HBO someday.

webstar1000
08-15-2016, 07:58 AM

A LOT.

WOW.. that is a heavy statement. lol Doesn't sound like we all here will be too happy:(

Merlin1958
08-15-2016, 08:19 AM

A LOT.

Reminds me of the hoopla when the final book came out and everyone was up in arms regarding the ending!! lol

Rahfa
08-15-2016, 01:14 PM
I have seen or heard nothing about the movie that kindles a single spark of interest in me. Movies almost always are a let down to me if I have read and really liked the book that came before. Heck, I even liked Kinsella's Shoeless Joe better than the movie Field of Dreams.

I'll probably catch The Dark Tower on HBO someday.

Agree - I just don't care one way or the other. I'm sure I'll see it on HBO or DVD, but this won't be something I put effort into.

Merlin1958
08-15-2016, 06:04 PM
The more I think about it, I suppose it will be both an SK & a Movie collectible. Pretty darn cool IMHO Maybe the prices aren't so crazy.................?

wizardsrainbow
08-19-2016, 01:43 PM
OK, I've been waiting patiently for this for quite some time now....Truth be told, I was aware of the Charlie Choo Choo promotion well before it was announced and I put a plan into action that finally paid off.

I received this today an hour ago....as far as I know this is one of a kind:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Charlie1.jpg

THIS is what makes it special.....inscription reads " For Jake "Bama" Chambers- Eddie is the "key"....Ned Dameron

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Charlie2.jpg

becca69
08-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Love it!

Theli
08-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Bad ass.

Br!an
08-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Nice!

firemonkey66
08-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Sweeet. Very cool, David.

carlosdetweiller
08-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Nice, David. A unique idea!

wizardsrainbow
08-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks all. I am VERY pleased. Ned charged me for the Remarque is all...and just for full disclosure...I was sworn by higher powers NOT to divulge that a book was being done, otherwise I'd have shared the info with you but my hands were tied on this one...

Still I am certain 500 were done, 150 issued at SDCC...am hearing another 150 will appear at the New York Comic Con in October...remaining 200? Anyone's guess.

Tommy
08-19-2016, 06:41 PM
That's beautiful!

Shannon
08-19-2016, 09:16 PM
200 to be won by Ari in 200 future contests ...

Br!an
08-20-2016, 03:38 AM
:wtf:

jonp
08-20-2016, 03:53 AM
Congratulations, David. That's awesome.

Brian861
08-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Very nice, David!

Pasiuk57
08-21-2016, 05:50 PM
David
amazing!!

DoctorZaius
08-21-2016, 06:24 PM
That's a beauty David!

surly
08-21-2016, 06:40 PM
coooool.

Randall Flagg
08-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Just a heads up to our members.
A person from Sony Pictures sent me a Charlie Choo Choo for our 2017 HF Fundraiser.

I received it today. The book is unsigned.

It should go up on ebay Sunday.

This is one of those items that should be auctioned now, rather than starting 1/1/2017.

The book will include the shipping envelope from the person/Sony pictures, as well as the email request.

That should provide provenance for a very cool item.

becca69
08-26-2016, 03:14 PM
Nice! It would be cool if Ned offered to sign it.

Merlin1958
08-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Nice! It would be cool if Ned offered to sign it.

If a member wins it and wants that, I think that could be arranged.

Shannon
08-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Very nice. Great job acquiring it and great foresight to auction it now.

Theli
08-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Very cool!

Lilja
09-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Did we ever get any decision about if an unsigned or signed (by Beryl Evans) copy would be most valuable?

Also, noted that there are no more being sold on eBay. Do you think the once that was for sale has been sold by now?

becca69
09-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Did we ever get any decision about if an unsigned or signed (by Beryl Evans) copy would be most valuable?

Also, noted that there are no more being sold on eBay. Do you think the once that was for sale has been sold by now?

There are three currently listed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Stephen-King-Beryl-Evans-SDCC-2016-Exclusive-Dark-Tower-/152229128285?hash=item237190285d:g:c~MAAOSwFdtXy4W f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARLIE-THE-CHOO-CHOO-Beryl-Evans-SDCC-Stephen-King-TRIPLE-SIGNED-/142100380022?hash=item2115d7b976:g:haoAAOSwtnpXoR5 Q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Autographed-San-Diego-Comic-Con-SDCC-RARE-Dark-Tower-/152229096181?hash=item23718faaf5:g:sE4AAOSw8oFXy3k U

zelig
09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Looks like there was one more sale on 8/29 for $1,000 that isn't reflected on the main list yet.

Randall Flagg
09-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Looks like there was one more sale on 8/29 for $1,000 that isn't reflected on the main list yet.
I'll edit the first post. Thanks.

Randall Flagg
09-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Looks like ~20 have sold on eBay. I'm sure there were private sales. Probably the ~30 people that "had to have it" have obtained a copy.
Patience may pay off.
Zero bids, 5 hours left, $1K:

Charlie the Choo Choo Stephen King/Beryl Evans SDCC 2016 Exclusive, Dark Tower (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Stephen-King-Beryl-Evans-SDCC-2016-Exclusive-Dark-Tower-/152229128285?hash=item237190285d:g:c%7EMAAOSwFdtXy 4Wf)

Zero bids, $850 start. Ends in 5 days. Might sneak in under the radar:
Charlie the Choo Choo *Autographed* San Diego Comic-Con SDCC RARE Dark Tower (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Autographed-San-Diego-Comic-Con-SDCC-RARE-Dark-Tower-/152229096181?hash=item23718faaf5:g:sE4AAOSw8oFXy3k U)

tippy4
09-20-2016, 03:11 PM
I posted this in the NP&J thread, but it seemed appropriate to post here as well.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/ornate12/photo%201%2015_zpskqlqrscj.jpg

surly
09-20-2016, 04:23 PM
did you make the arrangements for the Dameron drawing? looks great and makes it something really special.

tippy4
09-21-2016, 01:50 AM
Charlie The Choo Choo Sells for $512 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Dark-Tower-Beryl-Evans-Stephen-King-SDCC-Exclusive-/182283151323?nma=true&si=h4wqRVmLhbRC%252BMBMTkyMY1vH1Ew%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

carlosdetweiller
09-21-2016, 02:49 AM
Charlie The Choo Choo Sells for $512 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Dark-Tower-Beryl-Evans-Stephen-King-SDCC-Exclusive-/182283151323?nma=true&si=h4wqRVmLhbRC%252BMBMTkyMY1vH1Ew%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

The bumped corner did it in.

webstar1000
09-21-2016, 03:11 AM
lower and lower they will sell.... in about 6 months I bet these go for around $100-$200....

Randall Flagg
09-21-2016, 06:34 AM
lower and lower they will sell.... in about 6 months I bet these go for around $100-$200....
In 6 months, I think you might get one for $17.95

Roseannebarr
09-21-2016, 06:53 AM
I thought that was a secret

Randall Flagg
09-21-2016, 08:20 AM
I thought that was a joke

webstar1000
09-21-2016, 09:07 AM
I thought that was a joke

I wasn't going to say anything.. LOL but now that it is out.

Ari_Racing
09-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Really? Will it be for sale?

Randall Flagg
09-21-2016, 09:39 AM
I don't know. I was joking about Webstar continually lowering the value of the book. Sooner or later I'll have to pay someone to take mine off my hands.

webstar1000
09-21-2016, 09:43 AM
I don't know. I was joking about Webstar continually lowering the value of the book. Sooner or later I'll have to pay someone to take mine off my hands.

How AM I lowering the value of a book? lol

Brian861
09-22-2016, 04:20 AM
Post #1 updated this morning with the latest eBay sales. Lowest sale price so far is $500 w/T-Shirt included.

On a side note: The highest eBay sold T-Shirt stands at $158.56. The lowest; a mere $9.50 :|

webstar1000
09-22-2016, 04:21 AM
Post #1 updated this morning with the latest eBay sales. Lowest sale price so far is $500 w/T-Shirt included.

On a side note: The highest eBay sold T-Shirt stands at $158.56. The lowest; a mere $9.50 :|

Brian, I love your tag line. That is SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian861
09-22-2016, 04:26 AM
Brian, I love your tag line. That is SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kris! And thanks to Alec for coining it! A trip across the pond just to see his collection would be worth it alone!

peripheral
09-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Charlie The Choo Choo To Be Released (http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=5157&ref=rss)

Randall Flagg
09-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Charlie The Choo Choo To Be Released (http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=5157&ref=rss)
Look upthread to post #134.

Sometimes the news breaks before the news breaks...

becca69
09-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Nice. I'm fine with the non-limited version.

peripheral
09-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Look upthread to post #134.

Sometimes the news breaks before the news breaks...

Haha, yes! And especially here on DT...

Randall Flagg
09-27-2016, 02:08 PM
http://www.simonandschuster.com/authors/Beryl-Evans/2120171610

Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers |
24 pages |
ISBN 9781534401235 |
November 2016

List Price $14.99
Ships on or around November 22, 2016

http://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/cvr9781534401235/charlie-the-choo-choo-9781534401235_lg.jpg

Randall Flagg
09-27-2016, 02:18 PM
The November 11th date mentioned by Liljas may be incorrect-at least for US publication. Looks more like Tuesday November 22 in the USA.

Lilja
09-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Ah, I got the Nov. 11 from Amazon.

Lilja

becca69
09-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Pre-order at B&N
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/charlie-the-choo-choo-beryl-evans/1124690718?ean=9781534401235

Merlin1958
09-27-2016, 02:35 PM
If you would like a remarque, PM me and I'll see what I can do price and availability wise. Always here to assist my fellow TDT members when I can!!!

webstar1000
09-27-2016, 03:00 PM
And there ya have it confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimimck
09-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Nice to see them being made available to the masses.

stroppygoblin
09-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Order placed! I'm really glad to be getting a copy of this. It will be interesting to see if it is identical to the original books that were given out at ComicCon

Randall Flagg
09-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Order placed! I'm really glad to be getting a copy of this. It will be interesting to see if it is identical to the original books that were given out at ComicCon
It will not be identical.
The cover has a Stephen King blurb, the artwork is going to be subtly changed, and King has written a brief introduction.
Look for an ISBN, a bar code, a true (although how can it be true if an actress "wrote it") CR page..and more

webstar1000
09-28-2016, 03:26 AM
The cover has a Stephen King blurb, the artwork is going to be subtly changed, and King has written a brief introduction.
Look for an ISBN, a bar code, a true (although how can it be true if an actress "wrote it") CR page..and more

Even if it is slightly changed RF... you have to admit the absurd money spent so far was a total waste. DO you honestly feel the value is as you say? Where did you get the info on the changes?

Randall Flagg
09-28-2016, 05:08 AM
Check post #148 for changes.

stroppygoblin
09-28-2016, 05:59 AM

Even if it is slightly changed RF... you have to admit the absurd money spent so far was a total waste. DO you honestly feel the value is as you say? Where did you get the info on the changes?

is it realistic for a $8.95 DJ on a copy of 'salem's Lot to fetch the money it does? it's the subtle differences and the rarity that makes it collectible and supply and demand do the rest. Had this more general release of the book been identical then your point would be valid Kris, but, as it stands, the real collectible book will always be the 1st edition given out at CC.

webstar1000
09-28-2016, 06:16 AM

is it realistic for a $8.95 DJ on a copy of 'salem's Lot to fetch the money it does? it's the subtle differences and the rarity that makes it collectible and supply and demand do the rest. Had this more general release of the book been identical then your point would be valid Kris, but, as it stands, the real collectible book will always be the 1st edition given out at CC.

Perhaps... I just never felt this was a true collectable Simon. And I am CERTAINLY not alone in this. I also know there was was more than 150 printed. So, with those coupled with this... I think the monies we seen being spent... went out the window somewhat, which was more towards my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szwclmmKwLg

AKC
09-28-2016, 07:09 AM
Current value and impacted members aside, that SPANKY video is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Rest assured, we, as collectors, have felt this way a time or two!!!!

NoAttitudeThisTime
09-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Hmmm, can't find any info on King writing a short intro for the rerelease...but it would make sense that the blurb from the cover comes from that

Robert Fulman
09-28-2016, 07:34 AM
I would still pay $100 for a copy of the original one, so I do think that the SDCC has value as a collectible (just not in the $1,000 range).

webstar1000
09-28-2016, 07:36 AM
I would still pay $100 for a copy of the original one, so I do think that the SDCC has value as a collectible (just not in the $1,000 range).

100% agree with what you just said. Which is what I have been saying since the start of this...

stroppygoblin
09-28-2016, 08:54 AM
But Kris, that's the point... what you or Robert would be happy to pay for it does not measure its value. Alec put this more succinctly in a previous thread, but if there are more people that really want a book than there are copies of said book, then the books value will be whatever they will be willing to pay.

Robert Fulman
09-28-2016, 09:13 AM
Right. Everything is subjective. I would love to have one for $100, but no one has offered to sell me one at that price. Hence, I don't have one.

webstar1000
09-28-2016, 09:15 AM
So what your saying is that I can have no opinion now on what I think a book is worth Simon?

webstar1000
09-28-2016, 09:18 AM
And the value is dropping. That's what I said. I didn't say what the actual value is... Just that it's not the crazy numbers we have seen. Look at the start of the thread and you can see them fall. This release will only make them fall further. I never disagreed with what Alec said... In fact I totally agree. And we still see those people wiling to pay something... Paying less and less.

Randall Flagg
09-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Kris, you have a valued opinion, and you are encouraged to share it (but not ad nauseum) Many agree with you, and many don't. You are more than entitled to feel they are overpriced. I am also entitled to be thrilled with the price I paid for my Dameron (non-spoiled by a paid actress) remarqued copy. In fact, I wish I could have bought two as I'm sure there is someone out there willing to pay more than what I paid.

Randall Flagg
09-28-2016, 12:23 PM
FYI, Cemetery Dance should have this book for sale. I suggest using CD gift certificates, discounts etc. I'd rather send my money to CD than to Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Roseannebarr
09-28-2016, 01:03 PM
I feel i was lucky enough to purchase a copy of Charlie the Choo Choo with Beryl Evans signature. I love it. I had to come to grips with an actresses signature on my book, but it is what it is. That is the way many were issued. I did not pay $1000 for the book ( i was lucky enough to get a copy at 1/2 the price). But in all the excitement of the issue, being on the phone with Tippy the day the actress walked out (not King as rumored) and actually getting a copy of the BOOK as distributed is pretty exciting. What some choose to spend VERY HARD earned money for and others don't is what makes collecting fun. Everyone has their own collecting goals/limits and expectations. I knew the copy was going to be released at Schribner, but still made my purchase. It is a first issue- with the other comic cons coming up, the price may go down or it might go up. But i do not collect in hopes of increased/decreased value in my collectables. I enjoy them for what they are.

Merlin1958
09-28-2016, 01:55 PM
I thought maybe this thread should be referenced here as well................

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20538-Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-to-be-published-as-a-trade-hardcover&p=1023917#post1023917

stroppygoblin
09-28-2016, 01:57 PM
So what your saying is that I can have no opinion now on what I think a book is worth Simon?

Not really what I said, but nevertheless.. of course you are entitled to an opinion and I respect it, however it is still a valuation of what the book is worth to you, others will decide differently.

Brian861
09-28-2016, 05:17 PM
So what it really boils down to now is that both editions will be a must have :).

needfulthings
09-28-2016, 05:55 PM
MUST HAVE?...I DON'T THINK SO!:nope:
But now you have to ask yourself.....Is the Comic Con. edition REALY a Stephen King book or just a one off?...Are any of the words written by King? Does his name appear anywhere in or on the book? At least the next book will have a King cover blurb & maybe an introduction? (That as of this point has not yet been determined.)
"If I were ever to write a children's book it would be just like this!" Stephen king.
I will admit the Riddle is in the book. Is he on the copyright page?

NoAttitudeThisTime
09-28-2016, 06:15 PM
It was taken directly from the Choo-Choo story in The Waste Lands, so it was written by King. In a sense, it's a King book or an excerpt

Merlin1958
09-28-2016, 08:36 PM
But now you have to ask yourself.....Is the Comic Con. edition REALY a Stephen King book or just a one off?...Are any of the words written by King? Does his name appear anywhere in or on the book? At least the next book will have a King cover blurb & maybe an introduction? (That as of this point has not yet been determined.)
"If I were ever to write a children's book it would be just like this!" Stephen king.

I'd say it's in the same category as "The Bachman Books", no? I mean he wrote it, but just under a different name.

herbertwest
09-29-2016, 12:09 AM
Jerome said that this book will also have a short intro by Steve , and he seemed to know about that release before it was announced so...

stroppygoblin
09-29-2016, 03:45 AM
To me, the ComiCon book is the one that feels more "authentic". It matches exactly what was found by Jake in the DT books. Having SK's name and an intro lessens it for me.

Having said that, the chances of me ever getting a CC version are pretty slim, so i'm happy that i can at least have a version in my collection!

EDIT: Now if someone could just publish that book of riddles with the last page still intact... :evil:

carlosdetweiller
09-29-2016, 03:50 AM
Having SK's name and an intro lessens it for me.

This.

Beverly Marsh
09-29-2016, 05:11 AM
Personally, I'm just glad to be able to get a copy of this whether it be the CC version or not. I was NEVER going to pay more than $100 for the CC version so it seemed unlikely to ever own ANY version of this. I agree that having "beryl evans" as the author makes it more authentic but I can absolutely enjoy the fact that King's name is on this along with an intro since they are originally his words :)

Brian861
09-29-2016, 05:43 AM

I'd say it's in the same category as "The Bachman Books", no? I mean he wrote it, but just under a different name.

I think if King had actually signed the books himself as Beryl Evans then I think it'd relate more to The Bachman Books. Of course that price would have probably been double what it is now. I'd probably go as high as $250 for the CC edition but would prefer to find one with out a Evans sig. Not sure if they'll ever get that low but patience is the key if you want this one for a very reasonable price. If I would have had the funds; I would have bid on the HF auction and not blinked an eye on what it went for.

Ari_Racing
09-29-2016, 06:32 AM

It's a book by King. He wrote it.

Merlin1958
09-29-2016, 08:54 AM

I think if King had actually signed the books himself as Beryl Evans then I think it'd relate more to The Bachman Books. Of course that price would have probably been double what it is now. I'd probably go as high as $250 for the CC edition but would prefer to find one with out a Evans sig. Not sure if they'll ever get that low but patience is the key if you want this one for a very reasonable price. If I would have had the funds; I would have bid on the HF auction and not blinked an eye on what it went for.

IDK I mean he didn't sign all the trade HC'a that were published, but to each his own.

needfulthings
09-29-2016, 11:06 AM
It's a book by King. He wrote it.
Where have I heard that before?
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/9947/BgAj94.jpg

Ari_Racing
09-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Nah, it's not the same. Charlie is a mini story inside DT3... It's like the stories inside The Body

webstar1000
09-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Nah, it's not the same. Charlie is a mini story inside DT3... It's like the stories inside The Body

You are 100% right Ari...

tippy4
09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Or The Tale of Grey Dick......or The Wind Through The Keyhole.

Randall Flagg
09-29-2016, 01:03 PM
I can't find the post I made, but I quoted verbatim from The Waste Lands and Charlie The Choo Choo was word for word the same as the "new" book. King didn't plagiarize Beryl Evans; King wrote it all.

needfulthings
09-29-2016, 01:14 PM
O.K. GOOD TO KNOW...I STAND CORRECTED.:redface:

Fsmdr
09-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Get yours for $14.99!!

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Stephen-King?Session_ID=a9b777a80522530c314116905b490624

carlosdetweiller
09-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Get yours for $14.99!!

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-Stephen-King?Session_ID=a9b777a80522530c314116905b490624

Probably a better choice than Amazon. CD will pack it for shipping much better. The book seems prone to bumped corners, etc.

Randall Flagg
09-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Probably a better choice than Amazon. CD will pack it for shipping much better. The book seems prone to bumped corners, etc.
Agreed.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-30-2016, 03:20 AM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Agreed.

I agree as well. I would rather pay the $8 shipping from CD and get a nice copy versus the free shipping from Amazon and get their crappy package job.

Mulleins

Brian861
09-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Agreed.

I agree as well. I would rather pay the $8 shipping from CD and get a nice copy versus the free shipping from Amazon and get their crappy package job.

Mulleins

Ditto. And the CDCC discount doesn't hurt either :)

bdwyer19
09-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Yay! Finally found a way to get my kids (6 and 4) introduced to Stephen King. They already love trains, so this will be an easy transition.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-30-2016, 02:22 PM
Yay! Finally found a way to get my kids (6 and 4) introduced to Stephen King. They already love trains, so this will be an easy transition.

Don't forget The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon pop-up. My 6 year old granddaughter loves it and reads it. She has her own copy.

Mulleins

bdwyer19
09-30-2016, 02:39 PM

Don't forget The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon pop-up. My 6 year old granddaughter loves it and reads it. She has her own copy.

Mulleins

Great point! I have the pop-up, but forgot about that one. I'll need to re-read that soon.

Randall Flagg
09-30-2016, 02:49 PM
You are missing out on "The Eyes of the Dragon". Written by King, dedicated to his (at the time a young girl) Naomi.

Patrick
09-30-2016, 07:38 PM
I bought a couple trade copies from CD. I'm much more at peace with not owning the limited edition any time soon given the resale prices.

Jimimck
09-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Agreed.

Mulleins

I know it's not CDs fault, but $23 shipped to me via Amazon or $41 via CD.

carlosdetweiller
10-01-2016, 05:06 AM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Agreed.

Mulleins

Won't it also be possible to just go to the store and pick out a nice copy for ourselves and save the shipping charges?

billstand
10-01-2016, 05:37 AM
does anyone know the print run on this Charlie the Choo Choo edition?

Theli
10-01-2016, 05:47 AM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Agreed.

Mulleins

Won't it also be possible to just go to the store and pick out a nice copy for ourselves and save the shipping charges?

Not if we're afraid to leave our homes.

bdwyer19
10-01-2016, 06:22 AM
You are missing out on "The Eyes of the Dragon". Written by King, dedicated to his (at the time a young girl) Naomi.

Good suggestion, but I know my six year old would not have the patience to read (or have read to him) a book that size. The Roald Dahl books are more his speed for right now.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Agreed.

Mulleins

But.....there's people out there!

Brice
10-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Get yours for $14.99!!

Agreed.

Mulleins

But.....there's people out there!

:panic::panic::panic:

Randall Flagg
10-02-2016, 05:54 AM
Four bids, $102.50. Interesting signature:
Charlie the Choo Choo HB Stephen King San Diego Comic Con Exclusive signed SDCC (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-HB-Stephen-King-San-Diego-Comic-Con-Exclusive-signed-SDCC-/322280128416?hash=item4b09647fa0:g:dSsAAOSw8w1X8Fh K)

carlosdetweiller
10-02-2016, 06:41 AM
Charlie the Choo Choo HB Stephen King San Diego Comic Con Exclusive signed SDCC (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-the-Choo-Choo-HB-Stephen-King-San-Diego-Comic-Con-Exclusive-signed-SDCC-/322280128416?hash=item4b09647fa0:g:dSsAAOSw8w1X8Fh K)

I've noticed several different ways that she signed at SDCC, probably a result of writing fatigue. Some are nicely legible full name "Beryl Evans" signatures with a neat flourish beneath her name. Presumably as the event wore on she signed less legibly and shorter with just "Beryl" or "Beryl E". Most were inscribed as "To ____" but some just signed (possibly at the request of the recipient).

I know I am in opposition to the majority on this board but I think that the SDCC copies signed by the actress are the most desirable. The copy that sold for the highest amount (over $1900) was the copy signed "To Jake" with a very nice full "Beryl Evans" signature and flourish. That copy, although overpriced, is the cream of the crop, IMO. And, no, I wasn't the high bidder. I don't even have one signed by the actress........yet.

Brian861
10-02-2016, 11:17 AM

That is a pretty rough sig for sure.

Brian861
10-02-2016, 11:19 AM

I've noticed several different ways that she signed at SDCC, probably a result of writing fatigue. Some are nicely legible full name "Beryl Evans" signatures with a neat flourish beneath her name. Presumably as the event wore on she signed less legibly and shorter with just "Beryl" or "Beryl E". Most were inscribed as "To ____" but some just signed (possibly at the request of the recipient).

I know I am in opposition to the majority on this board but I think that the SDCC copies signed by the actress are the most desirable. The copy that sold for the highest amount (over $1900) was the copy signed "To Jake" with a very nice full "Beryl Evans" signature and flourish. That copy, although overpriced, is the cream of the crop, IMO. And, no, I wasn't the high bidder. I don't even have one signed by the actress........yet.

Agreed. Not sure if prices will ever come down enough for my taste though.

Roseannebarr
10-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Charlie the Choo Choo may finally be on the way! $512. i thought the seller was having remorse and going to cancel. when contacting them through ebay, it turns out the husband wrecked is car.....

Brian861
10-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Oops for him. Great score for you!

Phalucha
10-05-2016, 02:42 PM
I am glad I lost auctions. Bought the CD edition for $23 shipped. And that is Canadian dollars!

tippy4
10-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Curious to see what the one currently on open auction will go for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322280128416?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Randall Flagg
10-10-2016, 05:02 AM
Zero bids, $350:
No ISBN Dark Tower SDCC 2016 Exclusive Charlie The Choo Choo Book Rare (http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-ISBN-Dark-Tower-SDCC-2016-Exclusive-Charlie-The-Choo-Choo-Book-Rare-/162230090979?hash=item25c5aabce3:g:MYcAAOSw4s9Xknt a)

Doesn't seem like any copies were given away in New York.

Brian861
10-10-2016, 05:49 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322280128416?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$428.00. Lowest eBay sale that I have recorded to date.

Brian861
10-10-2016, 05:59 AM
Zero bids, $350:
No ISBN Dark Tower SDCC 2016 Exclusive Charlie The Choo Choo Book Rare (http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-ISBN-Dark-Tower-SDCC-2016-Exclusive-Charlie-The-Choo-Choo-Book-Rare-/162230090979?hash=item25c5aabce3:g:MYcAAOSw4s9Xknt a)

The gentleman has had this listed before but at a pretty high BIN price. Must have finally caved to see what it'd fetch now. Afraid he's going to be disappointed vs. what he was asking for it. Still, 100% profit either way ya slice it.

becca69
10-10-2016, 06:22 AM
Zero bids, $350:

The gentleman has had this listed before but at a pretty high BIN price. Must have finally caved to see what it'd fetch now. Afraid he's going to be disappointed vs. what he was asking for it. Still, 100% profit either way ya slice it.

Yep, he had one of the first copies on Ebay for $3500 or $5000 BIN. He could have made a nice profit if he hadn't been so greedy.

Brian861
10-10-2016, 06:29 AM
Zero bids, $350:

Yep, he had one of the first copies on Ebay for $3500 or $5000 BIN. He could have made a nice profit if he hadn't been so greedy.

Concur. I'm guessing $500 based on latest sales.

darkseer
10-10-2016, 11:51 AM

The horrible sig :eek: probably didn't help any either.

Brian861
10-10-2016, 01:17 PM

The horrible sig :eek: probably didn't help any either.

Yea, it was pretty ugly.

you ever seen a ghost?
10-11-2016, 11:58 AM
i've gotten confirmation that King did not do an introduction for the forthcoming trade edition.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 12:53 PM
i've gotten confirmation that King did not do an introduction for the forthcoming trade edition.

Yeah, I think they just added the "blurb" to the cover of the original SDCC version

Randall Flagg
10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
That's disappointing to hear. I had unconfirmed info several weeks ago that he would.
Pure money grab as I would think King gets revenue from the sales of the book-that or it goes to the stand-in Beryl Evans.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 01:20 PM
That's disappointing to hear. I had unconfirmed info several weeks ago that he would.
Pure money grab as I would think King gets revenue from the sales of the book-that or it goes to the stand-in Beryl Evans.

What he gets from this one I bet only covers a day at the spa for, Tabitha!! lol lol

Of course, I'm sure she goes to one great fucking spa!!! lol lol

herbertwest
10-11-2016, 01:25 PM

I dont remember reading a unconfirmation. So there won't be any intro by Steve then?

Beverly Marsh
10-11-2016, 01:39 PM
That's too bad.
However, and I may be in the minority here, I love the blurb on the front! Which makes me like this better than the SDCC version.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 01:41 PM
I like that I have a way to start my Grandson' King collection! lol

Beverly Marsh
10-11-2016, 04:53 PM

Damn. I guess that means that your grandson is in the collection will before the rest of us :wink:

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Damn. I guess that means that your grandson is in the collection will before the rest of us :wink:

Most definitely!! Sorry, maybe next life!! lol

Rachel Readman
10-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Really want one of these but the shipping is nearly $60 for a book that is a third of that. Sucks.

becca69
10-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Rachel, there is a UK preorder (although without the cool CD slipcase).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlie-Choo-Choo-World-Dark-Tower/dp/1534401237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476304204&sr=8-1&keywords=charlie+the+choo+choo

you ever seen a ghost?
10-13-2016, 07:36 AM

I dont remember reading a unconfirmation. So there won't be any intro by Steve then?

my source tells me there is no introduction to the trade edition.

Rachel Readman
10-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Thanks becca, I'll grab one of those.

becca69
10-13-2016, 09:43 AM
So that last auction just ended at $430.

webstar1000
10-13-2016, 09:57 AM
So that last auction just ended at $430.

Keeps falling as I predicted. I think prices may stabilize soon unless the elusive 350 make an appearance.

Merlin1958
10-13-2016, 10:36 AM
As long as the availability remains at approximately 150 in circulation the value should remain the same or increase always dependent upon demand. The release of the film should spike it if received well. The rarer they are the more valuable as time goes by, no? Naturally, should 350 more copies hit the market all bets are off. lol

webstar1000
10-13-2016, 11:08 AM
As long as the availability remains at approximately 150 in circulation the value should remain the same or increase always dependent upon demand. The release of the film should spike it if received well. The rarer they are the more valuable as time goes by, no? Naturally, should 350 more copies hit the market all bets are off. lol

100% agree with you Bill.

herbertwest
10-13-2016, 01:45 PM

Especially if they are shown in the movie. Although I dont see why they wouldn't if SONY made them as a promotional freebie for the movie

carlosdetweiller
10-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Especially if they are shown in the movie. Although I dont see why they wouldn't if SONY made them as a promotional freebie for the movie

Ari has read the script and I think he said there was no mention of the book in the movie.

Merlin1958
10-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Ari has read the script and I think he said there was no mention of the book in the movie.

That really shouldn't make a difference. Especially, if the film is a success. Folks will be looking for all they can get if the film is a hit.

BTW, for the record I have no vested interest other than as a fan one way or the other. I'm just an optomist for the film and everything related is all.

herbertwest
10-14-2016, 12:13 AM

But if a lot of the story takes place in New York, surely they squeezed that in. Otherwise, despite being a nice DT related item, it wouldnt make sense to do such a promo item... even for SDCC where people are keen of artwork and comics.

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Mayhap it was "put in" in a later draft of the screenplay. We will have to wait and see

Br!an
10-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Not every prop need be mentioned in the screenplay.

Randall Flagg
10-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Not every prop need be mentioned in the screenplay.
It would be tedious.

tippy4
10-16-2016, 11:04 AM
I've gotten confirmation that King did not do an introduction for the forthcoming trade edition.

There will most likely be one other difference.

On the second to last page, the word "hell" is used, and apparently the good folks at Scribner had issue with that word appearing in a children's book, and wanted it removed or replaced.

I assume they got their wish, but won't know for sure until the book is released.

Robert Fulman
10-16-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm okay with taking out "hell". In the Waste Lands, King switches between quoting from the "real" book and paraphrasing, and I think "hell" is from the paraphrased part.

Johnny Alien
10-17-2016, 02:48 AM
Well they still "claim" to be doing Drawing of the Three. And if Jake is being brought into the world via the house in this movie then there is a chance that he may survive this film in which case he would need to be doing something during the Drawing. Perhaps he gets back to NYC during all of that and finds the books in that movie?

Johnny Alien
10-17-2016, 03:18 AM
The rarer they are the more valuable as time goes by, no?

Yes and no. The rarity helps but if no one wants something in the future it's value is not going to rise. There are plenty of very limited edition books that sell for peanuts because the writer is not famous. In this case the desire factor was off the charts but it there a run of normal ones most people are going to be happy with that. So then you have the appeal only as a movie tie in as it's not really tied to king in any specific way and has the signature of an actor. I wanted one but I am perfectly happy with the normal run considering what it is. If I had to guess I will say it will stabilize around the $100-150 mark maybe less. The ones with the clear signatures or interesting inscriptions might pull more.