PDA

View Full Version : The Worlds Greatest Drummer

ATG
02-01-2008, 10:27 PM
The favorite music video thread got me thinking about Rush, the Greatest Band To Ever Walk The Earth.

While Neil Peart is generally considered to be the greatest living drummer, there are three videos presented, and i ask you to vote from these three to select The Worlds Greatest Drummer

1. Buddy Rich

This guy was a freak of nature. His speed was unlike anything before or after.
YouTube - drum solo by buddy rich (1970)

2. Neil Peart

In this video he pays tribute to buddy Rich, he gets my vote as The Worlds Greatest Drummer.
YouTube - Neil Peart drum solo (Buddy Rich Memorial concert)

3. Stevie Wonder

If you have never seen this before, behold the Wonder that is Stevie. He is/was a amazing musical force. I am a drummer as well, and this is one of the greatest drum solos ever.

YouTube - Stevie Wonder Drum Solo

Letti
02-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow. He is the drum.

jayson
02-02-2008, 04:33 AM
A) +1 for Stevie. He is the most under-rated drummer bc nobody ever mentions him. On the Jimi Hendrix BBC cd, Jimi does a brief cover of Stevie's "I Was Made to Love Her" with Stevie on drums. AMAZING!

B) Buddy Rich is awesome, but Max Roach, Elvin Jones, and especially Tony Williams could drum circles around him.

C) Peart is very good, but a bit over-rated for rock drummers. Personally I'd take Ginger Baker over him in a heartbeat.

Now, as for my real answer to the question, and only Frunobulax will prob know who I am talking about, but the greatest living drummer is Joey Baron, who is the default drummer for all of John Zorn's projects. Anyone who can be the timekeeper for a band like Naked City who changes genres at the drop of a hat will get my vote every time.

alinda
02-02-2008, 05:11 AM
I am:blush: ?

Mattrick
02-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Niel Peart, I could be mistaken on who it was, has a problem with his brain in which actually helps him keep beats.

I'm not going to vote, though. while these drummers have skill I can't actually call any of them the greatest drummer. I've heard/seen drummers than can go just as fast, if not close with double base and twice as many drums to hit. So many drummers today are crazy insane, especially once you get into the various forms of metal music. I often don't care about the individuals in a band, I just listen to them if it sounds good and it ends there.

Telynn
02-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I got to throw Bonham in there. I like the story about how he used to use two bass drums until the other members of the band took one away because it was too much. When you can over power those three guys, that is something.

Darkthoughts
02-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Good on ya Tel, I was just popping in to give Bonham a shout :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
02-02-2008, 09:58 AM
NEIL PEART. Fuckers!

Telynn
02-02-2008, 10:00 AM
That Buddy Rich video was awesome though. I had always heard of him but never seen him play. And the Stevie Wonder one didn't work.

ATG
02-02-2008, 10:16 AM
That Buddy Rich video was awesome though. I had always heard of him but never seen him play. And the Stevie Wonder one didn't work.

Should work now, or copy/paste this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBA4vWQRBA0

Mattrick
02-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I got to throw Bonham in there. I like the story about how he used to use two bass drums until the other members of the band took one away because it was too much. When you can over power those three guys, that is something.

Using two base drums is incredibly common.

Telynn
02-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I know. It was the fact of what he did with two that made it such a good story.

Odetta
02-02-2008, 12:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing!

ATG
02-02-2008, 02:27 PM

But that's cheating. I only listed a choice of three.
Rules and all.

Brice
02-02-2008, 02:30 PM

But that's cheating. I only listed a choice of three.
Rules and all.

But, wouldn't it be more interesting opened up to all drummers, to decide which is best? I mean you picked some great ones, but there are other great drummers too.

Sai Joshua
02-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I have to go with Buddy Rich on this one. I have heard of more drummers basing their styles and goals on him than anyone else, including Neal Peart, who pays homage to the man on this YouTube video on this page. I had a buddy in college who actually studied under Neal Peart, he is an awesome drummer, and Stevie, WOW!:rock: He is awesome!!!! Good 3 choices Brice.

Brice
02-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I have to go with Buddy Rich on this one. I have heard of more drummers basing their styles and goals on him than anyone else, including Neal Peart, who pays homage to the man on this YouTube video on this page. I had a buddy in college who actually studied under Neal Peart, he is an awesome drummer, and Stevie, WOW!:rock: He is awesome!!!! Good 3 choices Brice.

Yea, they are good choices, but it wasn't me who gave them. ;)

ATG
02-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Yea, they are good choices, but it wasn't me who gave them. ;)

Perhaps if a few more choice of are posted I'll ask this to be deleted and make a poll.

Lance
02-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Even though he's not alive, I have to send some love out to Keith Moon.

Telynn
02-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I was wondering how long before someone brought him up. :thumbsup:

jayson
02-03-2008, 05:03 AM

It may be common now, but it certainly was not then. A handful of jazz drummers did in the 1940's, and it became somewhat popular in the 60's in rock, but bc of people like Bonham and Keith Moon and Ginger and later Nick Mason who made it as common as it is now.

BTW, Bonham and Moon both rock. The category could be narrowed down to best rock drummer because otherwise I could sit here all day and name jazz drummers who would make even the best of the rock drummers pale by comparison. Of course, I am comfortable with my pick of Joey Baron as he plays every style and all of them better than anyone else.

blackrose22
02-03-2008, 05:26 AM
Neil Peart gets my vote after seeing him live in action last year in Birmingham England. The drum solo he perform that night was jaw dropping fantastic.

alinda
02-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Ginger Baker Cream
Carter Beauford Dave Matthews Band Under the Table and Dreaming
John Bonham Led Zeppelin
Terry Bozzio Frank Zappa Zappa inNew York The Black Page
Bill Bruford Yes Fragile Long Distance Runaround
Danny Carey Tool Opiate Opiate
Phil Collins Genesis
Stewart Copeland Police Regatta de Blanc Walking on the Moon
Liberty Devito Billy Joel The Stranger Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Steve Gadd Steely Dan Aja Aja
David Garibaldi Tower of Power Tower of Power What is Hip?
Micheal Giles King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King 21st Century Schizoid Man
Manu Katche’ Peter Gabriel So In Your Eyes
Stan Lynch Tom Petty
Mitch Mitchell Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland All Along the Watchtower
Joseph Modeliste The Meters Funkify Your Life Cissy Strut
John Molo Bruce Hornsby Harbor Lights China Doll
Keith Moon The Who Who Are You Who Are You
Rod Morgenstein Dixie Dregs Divided We Stand
Ian Paice Deep Purple When We Rock, We Rock, and When We Roll, We Roll Hush
Carl Palmer Emerson, Lake & Palmer Tarkus Tarkus
Neil Peart Rush Hemispheres La Villa Strangiato
Simon Phillips Pete Townshend White City Give Blood
Jeff Porcaro Toto Toto IV Rosanna
Danny Seraphine Chicago Chicago Transit Authority Questions 67 & 68
Steve Smith Journey Escape Escape
Ringo Starr The Beatles White Album
Robert Wyatt Soft Machine Live at the Paradiso 10:30 Returns to the Bedroom

blackrose22
02-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Ginger Baker Cream
Carter Beauford Dave Matthews Band Under the Table and Dreaming
John Bonham Led Zeppelin
Terry Bozzio Frank Zappa Zappa inNew York The Black Page
Bill Bruford Yes Fragile Long Distance Runaround
Danny Carey Tool Opiate Opiate
Phil Collins Genesis
Stewart Copeland Police Regatta de Blanc Walking on the Moon
Liberty Devito Billy Joel The Stranger Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Steve Gadd Steely Dan Aja Aja
David Garibaldi Tower of Power Tower of Power What is Hip?
Micheal Giles King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King 21st Century Schizoid Man
Manu Katche’ Peter Gabriel So In Your Eyes
Stan Lynch Tom Petty
Mitch Mitchell Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland All Along the Watchtower
Joseph Modeliste The Meters Funkify Your Life Cissy Strut
John Molo Bruce Hornsby Harbor Lights China Doll
Keith Moon The Who Who Are You Who Are You
Rod Morgenstein Dixie Dregs Divided We Stand
Ian Paice Deep Purple When We Rock, We Rock, and When We Roll, We Roll Hush
Carl Palmer Emerson, Lake & Palmer Tarkus Tarkus
Neil Peart Rush Hemispheres La Villa Strangiato
Simon Phillips Pete Townshend White City Give Blood
Jeff Porcaro Toto Toto IV Rosanna
Danny Seraphine Chicago Chicago Transit Authority Questions 67 & 68
Steve Smith Journey Escape Escape
Ringo Starr The Beatles White Album
Robert Wyatt Soft Machine Live at the Paradiso 10:30 Returns to the Bedroom

That's an impressive list of drummers alinda. Ever listen to Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy? He is an incredible drummer but very underrated.

alinda
02-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeah, that happens alot. Ive actually known some fantastic drummers,
and I'm not all that bad m'self at times....You should hear me in my car
(my poor steering wheel) It looks like I'm having seizures sometimes!!:excited: I love jaw dropping amazing, what a show that must have been.

Telynn
02-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Ringo... really?

ATG
02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Ringo... really?

Drumming that bland and monotonous is actually a challenge.:evil:

alinda
02-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Soft spot of my heart, an ex of mine was a drummer for Elephants Memory
and he had a kit that once belonged to Ringo. There were sessions way back when I attended that I thought I'd died and went to heaven. I am much older
than most of you, and I guess I cant help showing my age at times...;)

blackrose22
02-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, that happens alot. Ive actually known some fantastic drummers,
and I'm not all that bad m'self at times....You should hear me in my car
(my poor steering wheel) It looks like I'm having seizures sometimes!!:excited: I love jaw dropping amazing, what a show that must have been.

It sounds like you are not a Doors fan then,"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands apon the wheel":P

The Rush show was one of the best i've ever attended. It had the best sound I've heard at a gig in along time and the lighting show was fantastic too. Rush played for nearly 3 hours with a short break in the middle. Neil Pearts drum solo was jaw dropping amazing as I said before. His dexterity and speed around the kit was dazzling especially considering he's nearly 60 years of age. He puts drummers more than half his age to shame. Rush are playing more dates in the US in the summer. If I can scrape the money together I'm going to head over and see them again.

alinda
02-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Actually I played the best of the Doors on the way home
from Geprgia last week, it seriously rocked, JDensmore
drumming was fast and furious wasnt it?

jayson
02-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Ringo is never gonna make my best drummer list, BUT, he is far underrated and more than just competent. His drumming on "She Said, She Said" from Revolver is quite complex and outside the box. Don't let a lack of soloing make you think he was without substance. He helped define a sound.

Brice
02-03-2008, 10:32 AM
It makes me a little sad that Mickey Hart hasn't even been mentioned yet.

jayson
02-03-2008, 10:34 AM
you know i love him brice, but if we're leaving it open to all drummers, i am being generous enough with ginger and would be with mickey as well. when you consider elvin jones or tony williams or joey baron or max roach et al, well the rest just seems like, the rest. that said, mickey is among the best drummers i've actually seen play with my own eyes.

Brice
02-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh, I'd say on a good night he is simply amazing to watch.

jayson
02-03-2008, 10:37 AM
i've seen those, seen the bad ones too though. mickey is unique, and certainly willing to experiment, which is a great quality. he's up there for me, certainly higher up if we eliminate jazz drummers.

Brice
02-03-2008, 10:40 AM
i've seen those, seen the bad ones too though. mickey is unique, and certainly willing to experiment, which is a great quality. he's up there for me, certainly higher up if we eliminate jazz drummers.

Oh, I wouldn't want to eliminate anyone. On the contrary I'm in favor of being all inclusive so I can learn more to watch out for. :)

Edit: I've seen some really bad nights for them too. Even those were magical.

alinda
02-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Inclusive....me too , there are tons of others worth mentioning.
Why when I was a lass of say oh, 13 I spent 3 days at a show
in West Palm beach, and the band PGE (Pacific Gas & Electric)
had this guy Frank Cook I think solo that was a trip....wait I was trippin....whoah!!

ATG
02-03-2008, 10:50 AM
It seems like thi thread needs more youtube advocacy.
YouTube - O Baterista

alinda
02-03-2008, 10:55 AM
could'nt open it :(

jayson
02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
ask and ye shall receive...

1. Joey Baron with John Zorn's Masada...

YouTube - John Zorn / MASADA - Beeroth (Joey Baron at its best!)

2. Joey with some speed-metal fun with John Zorn's Naked City [one of about a billion styles they play]

YouTube - Naked City - 6 songs (Amsterdam´92)

3. Joey in trio with Ellery Elskin & Josh Roseman [two awesome horn players]

YouTube - Barondown@Bydgoszcz: 11:58

Brice
02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
This guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7O4nmeL7hg

Check this out Jayson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09cED1_gvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQVsiLXH1Tk

Armand St Pierre
02-03-2008, 11:35 AM
every drummer on these lists owes Lenny White a bit of gratitude for paving the way....
Lenny

jayson
02-03-2008, 11:56 AM
every drummer on these lists owes Lenny White a bit of gratitude for paving the way....
Lenny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_BBdC-KT8A)

no doubt lenny is awesome, but my list has guys whose careers pre-date his birth, so i doubt Max Roach or Elvin Jones owe him any gratitude. Now, from the era of Lenny, he was among the best, with Tony Williams [from Miles' bands and Lifetime] or Al Foster [from Miles' 70's funk bands].

alinda
02-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh yeah, I wish I werent at work, I cant open the you tubes.
Lenny!!:cool:

jayson
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
now back to rock drummers, i've got to include this guy on my list...

1. levon helm on drums and drumming

YouTube - Levon Helm on Drums and Drumming

2. levon with The Band from Scorcese's "The Last Waltz"

YouTube - The Band - Up On Cripple Creek (Last Waltz Part 3)

Armand St Pierre
02-03-2008, 01:14 PM

no doubt lenny is awesome, but my list has guys whose careers pre-date his birth, so i doubt Max Roach or Elvin Jones owe him any gratitude. Now, from the era of Lenny, he was among the best, with Tony Williams [from Miles' bands and Lifetime] or Al Foster [from Miles' 70's funk bands].
I didn't see Jones or Elvin on those lists when I looked....you must be a drummer :)

As for rock drummers....
Jimmy Chamberlin is a force all his own.
I also have never had a moments doubt about Alex VanHalen.
and yes....Neil Peart is his own mystic rhythm machine.

jayson
02-03-2008, 01:18 PM

no harm no foul. lenny was among the best of his era, so he was a good nominee.

Heather19
02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Carter Beauford Dave Matthews Band

I've gotta give Carter a shout out too. He really is an amazing drummer. He has got such an extensive kit, it's hard to even see him back there. I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought him up.

This clip should make you a fan
http://youtube.com/watch?v=95oiwW66Xk0