PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Jar - Short story in Virginia Quarterly Review (Spring '16)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-21-2016, 10:31 PM
This was reported yesterday in "The Oracle", but as we all know, a lot of us do not leave "The Corner". So enjoy...

http://dj9frc12kq0lk.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/issue-images/92.2_cover.jpg

Cookie Jar by Stephen King, is a new short story printed in Spring issue of "The Virginia Quarterly Review", magazine of the University of Virginia.

Read it Online HERE (http://www.vqronline.org/fiction/2016/03/cookie-jar)

Brian861
06-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Very cool! Thanks for the share, Mr. RT!

peripheral
06-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Great

mattgreenbean
06-22-2016, 04:39 AM
So what's it about?

herbertwest
06-22-2016, 04:46 AM
You can read it here
>>> http://www.vqronline.org/fiction/2016/03/cookie-jar

Oh and the story will apparently be included in the mass paperback edition of TBOBD

Ben Mears
06-22-2016, 05:57 AM
Thanks MRT!

stroppygoblin
06-22-2016, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed that.

jreitan47
06-22-2016, 07:17 AM
You can order a print copy off their site for $14 as well, I did that late last night.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-22-2016, 08:06 AM
So what's it about?

Snakes on a plane.

Randall Flagg
06-22-2016, 09:48 AM
So what's it about?

14k words.

mikeC
06-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Awesome Story! Pat Perry is a pretty great artist as well. Like to see him do more SK works.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/02/the-natural-and-urban-collide-in-the-drawings-of-pat-perry/

http://patperry.net/cache/images/local/uploads/art/ibis-sample_949_700.jpg

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/perry-3.jpg

Brian861
06-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Love the art.

mattgreenbean
06-22-2016, 11:57 AM
So what's it about?

Snakes on a plane.

So what's it about?

14k words.

Funny guys huh? :)

Theli
06-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Fantastic art there. Very surreal.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-22-2016, 01:24 PM
So what's it about?

Snakes on a plane.

So what's it about?

14k words.

Funny guys huh? :)

For real...a cookie jar that's a portal to another world. (The Mist Part 3)

carlosdetweiller
06-22-2016, 01:45 PM
I don't understand the economics of this. (But there is a lot that I don't understand and my wife will verify that). These literary magazines hope to sell copies and entice us to buy them based on content. Buying the rights to publish a Stephen King story would, I guess, lead to more sales of that specific issue. Why do you suppose they are giving the story away for free on the internet? Some of us who like to collect hard copies of magazines will buy it anyway but those who just want to read the story can do so freely on the internet without having to buy a copy of the magazine.

Randall Flagg
06-22-2016, 02:12 PM
In this instance, I'm guessing that King "donated" the story-the rights to print it in their magazine, and their online content.
I agree that for all but a few crazy people (myself included), everyone is happy to read it for free online. If King allowed it, they should have teased it onlne with a very small partial release tied to buying the magazine. A donation that received a digital copy immediately lets the Genie out of the bottle.

Maybe they are happy to do their literary magazine and since the story was likely free, just sell to existing members on their mailing list.

Book collectors are crazy, literary people are insane. ©™

Feel free to quote me on that (as long as I receive credit).

WeDealInLead
06-22-2016, 04:15 PM
I don't understand the economics of this. (But there is a lot that I don't understand and my wife will verify that). These literary magazines hope to sell copies and entice us to buy them based on content. Buying the rights to publish a Stephen King story would, I guess, lead to more sales of that specific issue. Why do you suppose they are giving the story away for free on the internet? Some of us who like to collect hard copies of magazines will buy it anyway but those who just want to read the story can do so freely on the internet without having to buy a copy of the magazine.

I think this practice is becoming more and more common. They figure people will find a way to illegally download no matter what they do. I haven't looked at the website but they might be counting on increased traffic/ad revenue.

Record labels have embraced this business model too; free streaming of entire albums is available for everyone to entice physical sales. Either that or free download cards with a purchase. Or all three. It seems to be working. Speaking from personal experience, I'm more likely to buy a record if I can preview it in its entirety.

Randall Flagg
06-22-2016, 06:22 PM
I haven't looked at the website but they might be counting on increased traffic/ad revenue.

Perhaps the first thing you should do is look at the website.
Read the Masthead.

..." The Virginia Quarterly Review is a unit of the Office of the Vice President for Research at the University of Virginia, and is published quarterly in Charlottesville, Virginia.
VQR is indexed or abstracted in EBSCO, ProQuest, Project MUSE, and Thomson Reuters databases.
The full text of VQR is available in the electronic versions of the Humanities Index and Humanities International Complete.
VQR does not assume responsibility for the views expressed by its contributors."

It's a literary thing.

The people in charge (I didn't include the staff listing in my quote, but go to their site (a novel idea to actually have an idea when commenting) and it seems clear they are literally (a literary) adjunct of an educational facility.

They snagged the contribution from King. It stayed below the radar for weeks (they didn't care).

Time to have a cup of tea...

Sir_Boomme
06-22-2016, 08:26 PM
I ordered 2 copies

herbertwest
06-23-2016, 12:17 AM
They snagged the contribution from King. It stayed below the radar for weeks (they didn't care).

Exactly that : they don't care of the sales as they didn't communicate on the King story.
Then magazines will complain that their sales goes down and that they need to go close it...

Theli
06-23-2016, 02:43 AM
Great little story, really.

stroppygoblin
06-23-2016, 04:29 AM
Great little story, really.

Yeah, this King guy seems really good - anyone know if he's written anything else? :evil:

NoAttitudeThisTime
06-23-2016, 07:22 AM
It would be cool if King ever decides to write a longer work about Lalanka, but mayhap that is for the (hopefully) next DT book! ;)

Dan
06-29-2016, 02:12 PM
I received my hard copy today. It was mailed in a thin magazine envelope. Has a noticeable crushed corner, otherwise is fine. It's a very nice quality publication.

carlosdetweiller
06-29-2016, 03:43 PM
I received my hard copy today. It was mailed in a thin magazine envelope. Has a noticeable crushed corner, otherwise is fine. It's a very nice quality publication.

Mine too. Slight crush/crease to top of front cover. Not too bad.

jreitan47
06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
I hope I get a good mail day too and that it isn't crushed!

Brian861
06-29-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm sure I'll find mine crammed into the mailbox :|

Br!an
06-30-2016, 06:14 AM
Get a bigger mailbox. :wtf:

Brian861
06-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Get a bigger mailbox. :wtf:

Right!! :lol:

carlosdetweiller
06-30-2016, 01:23 PM

Mine too. Slight crush/crease to top of front cover. Not too bad.

I emailed VQR today and told them my copy was slightly damaged. They are sending a replacement via 1st Class Mail with heavier padding at no charge to me. Good customer service so far.

Randall Flagg
06-30-2016, 01:32 PM
I emailed them also. Told them my copy arrived in fine shape, but that I was hoping for something with a little "patina". They said to contact Bob Jackson.

Brian861
06-30-2016, 09:58 PM
I emailed them also. Told them my copy arrived in fine shape, but that I was hoping for something with a little "patina". They said to contact Bob Jackson.

:lol:

Brian861
07-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Has everyone received their copy of the magazine? My order still reads pending and it was placed on June 23rd.

carlosdetweiller
07-16-2016, 03:31 AM
Has everyone received their copy of the magazine? My order still reads pending and it was placed on June 23rd.

I not only received my copy (which was dinged due to flimsy packaging) but I have received my replacement copy (well over a week ago).

Send them an e-mail at: customer@vqronline.org

I got a prompt and courteous reply from the publisher himself. I'll bet he will fix you right up.

jreitan47
07-16-2016, 06:14 AM
Never received my copy and have emailed the customer service email to inquiry and can't get a response back. :(

Brian861
07-16-2016, 10:46 PM

I not only received my copy (which was dinged due to flimsy packaging) but I have received my replacement copy (well over a week ago).

Send them an e-mail at: customer@vqronline.org

I got a prompt and courteous reply from the publisher himself. I'll bet he will fix you right up.

Thanks, Bob. Will give it a shot. Hopefully with better results than what Jonathan experienced :|

Brian861
07-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Never received my copy and have emailed the customer service email to inquiry and can't get a response back. :(

When did ya email them, Jonathan? I got this autoreply back: The VQR staff is off-site attending the third annual VQR Writers' Conference and will only be checking e-mail intermittently. We appreciate your patience.

Brian861
08-06-2016, 11:16 PM

Did you ever get your copy, Jonathan? Mine finally showed up yesterday (Saturday) after about a month and a half after ordering it and half a dozen emails inquiring about it's status.

Ari_Racing
08-07-2016, 08:31 AM
I received my copy in less than a week.

Brian861
08-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Turns out I didn't pay for it. I'll take my bitch back now :).

jreitan47
08-08-2016, 08:32 AM

Did you ever get your copy, Jonathan? Mine finally showed up yesterday (Saturday) after about a month and a half after ordering it and half a dozen emails inquiring about it's status.

Nope, still no copy and no response to several emails. Maybe it'll turn up soon like yours did! I got to thinking, since it's a college publication...maybe everyone is out for the Summer??

Brian861
08-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Nope, still no copy and no response to several emails. Maybe it'll turn up soon like yours did! I got to thinking, since it's a college publication...maybe everyone is out for the Summer??

Could be reduced staff for sure. I'd keep trying though.

jreitan47
08-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Still no freaking magazine.

Randall Flagg
08-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Still no freaking magazine.
Hell, you can have mine for my costs including shipping.

Fsmdr
08-18-2016, 09:01 PM
I had a very pleasant phone conversation with the publisher of VQR today. With 2 emails and no answer, I had left a voicemail yesterday. To my surprise, the publisher himself, Jon called me today. Apparently my copy was returned to sender for some strange postage issue. He mentioned about a few other inquiry about magazines that arrived slightly creased so now he ships them in a hard cardboard mailer. He also said that it might take 6-8 weeks after ordering for them to arrive.

What was interesting was his mention that each issue is only printed once and it last for 6 months. This issue is sold out within 6 weeks! So if you are on the fence about ordering, you should order now as they will not reprint once it is sold out.

jreitan47
08-19-2016, 09:19 AM
MINE IS FINALLY IN THE MAIL!! They emailed this morning, apologized for the delay and are sending it priority mail at their cost.

Brian861
08-20-2016, 10:02 AM
MINE IS FINALLY IN THE MAIL!! They emailed this morning, apologized for the delay and are sending it priority mail at their cost.

Good deal, Jonathan!