PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King in 2017

mae
06-14-2016, 10:37 AM
So just like the 2016 thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19314-Stephen-King-in-2016), even if a little early (though we are halfway through the year), we have some indications - finally! - of potential King works in the pipeline, all discussed by King during his End of Watch tour.

As of right now we can single out one specific novel in the works, Sleeping Beauties (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20108-Sleeping-Beauties-new-novel-with-Owen-King) with Owen King, most likely a non-horror novel set in a women's prison in West Virgina. A first draft has been completed.

Additionally, King mentioned a number of times that Talisman 3 is "due", though if it's to come out soon, it most likely would fall on 2018, as that would be the same length of time since Black House as Black House was since The Talisman.

Finally, King also mentioned "a book that is scaring him to death" was also finished as a first draft, to quote one member who was in attendance. Pet Sematary 2? Just kidding!

webstar1000
06-14-2016, 11:15 AM
I wonder if it will be a sequel... he has been all over them the last bit. I like it too...

herbertwest
06-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Last time it was mentionned by Steve & Peter, months ago, nothing was even written and they had busy schedules.
However, I wouldnt be surprised to see a new Dark Tower story appear by the release of the movie...

Bev Vincent
06-16-2016, 03:39 AM
Finally, King also mentioned "a book that is scaring him to death" was also finished as a first draft, to quote one member who was in attendance. Pet Sematary 2? Just kidding!

From the Tulsa event: “Don’t tell anyone, but I’m working on another book, and it’s going to be set in Tulsa,” King said. “Assuming it gets done.”

Cordial Jim
06-17-2016, 07:43 AM
So glad King is writing a book with Owen. What an immense sense of satisfaction he must get from collaborating with his sons. Would love to see him write something with Tabitha someday, or even a "pass-it-along" story involving all four of them! What an amazing family! Also, can't wait for the "scaring him to death" story! :)

mae
09-26-2016, 05:05 AM
So after an uncharacteristically long period of not knowing what new books were on the horizon, we now know of three specific ones, at least:

Sleeping Beauties (2017)
Another Mr. Mercedes universe novel focusing on Holly
Talsiman 3

All three were mentioned by King this weekend during the 2016 National Book Fest. Only Sleeping Beauties is actually slated for 2017.

skyofcrack
09-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Maybe King's next collection of novellas can contain one story from each.

So glad King is writing a book with Owen. What an immense sense of satisfaction he must get from collaborating with his sons. Would love to see him write something with Tabitha someday, or even a "pass-it-along" story involving all four of them! What an amazing family! Also, can't wait for the "scaring him to death" story! :)

mae
09-26-2016, 08:59 AM
If anything I can see a joint collection with Joe Hill, to collect "Throttle" and "In the Tall Grass" plus unknown other collaborative stories.

Ari_Racing
09-29-2016, 06:18 AM
So after an uncharacteristically long period of not knowing what new books were on the horizon, we now know of three specific ones, at least:

Sleeping Beauties (2017)
Another Mr. Mercedes universe novel focusing on Holly
Talsiman 3

All three were mentioned by King this weekend during the 2016 National Book Fest. Only Sleeping Beauties is actually slated for 2017.

T3 will probably not be published in 2017. More likely 2018 or even 2019. But it's nice to know they'll start working on it very soon. :)

mae
09-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Yes, of course.

Bev Vincent
09-29-2016, 06:35 AM
T3 will probably not be published in 2017. More likely 2018 or even 2019. But it's nice to know they'll start working on it very soon. :)

To quote King, "with any luck."

mae
09-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Like I said in the main Talisman 3 news thread, it must be released in fall of 2018 to keep to the cycle of 17 years between novels :panic:

herbertwest
09-30-2016, 12:22 AM

To quote King, "with any luck."

And, hopefully, Peter is done with his health issues...

herbertwest
09-30-2016, 12:24 AM
I agree with Ari : usually, between the completion by King of a manuscript and its publication, there is a good year and half. So, hopefully, starting it in 2017, finishing in late 2017 (?), and a year and half and it's easily end of 2018+

It also depends of his other publications, as I think that his publisher tend not to overcrowd the market with his books. Recently it's been usually what : 2 books entirely BY King maximum a year?

jreitan47
10-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Coming from Scribner in Jan. 2017:

The Making of the Dark Tower: The Art of the Film by Daniel Wallace, Hardcover – January 10, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1501164457/liljslibrthew-20

mae
10-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Yup, there is a thread about it at The Oracle. All are welcome :)

herbertwest
10-18-2016, 08:22 AM

The Making of the Dark Tower: The Art of the Film by Daniel Wallace, Hardcover – January 10, 2017

Just in time to spoil the movie

Randall Flagg
10-18-2016, 01:59 PM

Just in time to spoil the movie

Only if you read it before viewing the film.

herbertwest
10-19-2016, 03:02 AM
What's the point of releasing a month before then?

herbertwest
10-19-2016, 03:02 AM
I'll also add for 2017 a Dark Tower story.

I am CONVINCED that a short story or something DT related BY Steve will be released around the time of the movie.

Ari_Racing
10-19-2016, 06:40 AM
I'll also add for 2017 a Dark Tower story.

I am CONVINCED that a short story or something DT related BY Steve will be released around the time of the movie.

I was sure about that as well. It was too suspicious that no new SK book was announced for 2017, despite Sleeping Beauties. Now I have my doubts but...I still think that something is cooking.

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-19-2016, 07:01 AM
What about the scary novel with Holly Gibney? Or maybe that will be a 2018 release

herbertwest
12-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Still no release date for SLEEPING BEAUTIES?

Randall Flagg
12-22-2016, 10:52 AM
No, but strictly a guess that it will be a Tuesday, most likely in June or November.

herbertwest
12-23-2016, 01:41 AM
I tend to agree with that.

When books were due to be published in June, they were already announced before Christmas, right?
I am also still convinced that there will be some Dark Tower story, around the time of the movie release, hence why nothing has been announced yet. Although, all the previous DT books were first published by DMG.

Theli
12-23-2016, 04:02 AM

When books were due to be published in June, they were already announced before Christmas, right?
I am also still convinced that there will be some Dark Tower story, around the time of the movie release, hence why nothing has been announced yet. Although, all the previous DT books were first published by DMG.

Books, yes, but not shorts/novellas. As I'm sure you know, The Little Sisters of Eluria was first printed in the anthology Legends and The Gunslinger itself was printed in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

webstar1000
12-23-2016, 04:10 AM

I am also convinced there will be a DT story... short or long... but one for sure.

Beverly Marsh
12-23-2016, 05:14 AM
I'm wondering if there will be a signed/limited of Sleeping Beauties? I know there's talk in the PS thread of Stephen perhaps slowing down the signing but maybe he will allow one for this to help out Owen. He isn't the writer or seller like his father or Joe. While people are going to jump on the book anyway because of his co writer it might be a tremendous help to Owen to do a limited.

Theli
12-23-2016, 06:28 AM
^To be honest just having Stephen's name on it will sell it. If there is a s/l I bet it will be signed only by Owen, with, perhaps, exception being given to the lettered edition.

Ari_Racing
12-23-2016, 06:31 AM

I am also convinced there will be a DT story... short or long... but one for sure.

Same here. I asked an editor that publishes King in Spain back in September about it and I got an elusive answer. :)

T-Dogz_AK47
12-23-2016, 06:34 AM
I'm wondering if there will be a signed/limited of Sleeping Beauties? I know there's talk in the PS thread of Stephen perhaps slowing down the signing but maybe he will allow one for this to help out Owen. He isn't the writer or seller like his father or Joe. While people are going to jump on the book anyway because of his co writer it might be a tremendous help to Owen to do a limited.

^To be honest just having Stephen's name on it will sell it. If there is a s/l I bet it will be signed only by Owen, with, perhaps, exception being given to the lettered edition.

Having King sign a limited edition of Sleeping Beauties would only detract attention away from Owen. For that reason alone, King will not sign it.

Theli
12-23-2016, 06:39 AM
^ Which is also a fair point!

Beverly Marsh
12-23-2016, 07:04 AM

Having King sign a limited edition of Sleeping Beauties would only detract attention away from Owen. For that reason alone, King will not sign it.

True thoughts fellas. Wishful thinking I suppose!

mae
12-23-2016, 07:07 AM
I doubt there would be a DT story of any kind. King and Straub are supposed to begin work on Talisman 3 in two months.

herbertwest
12-23-2016, 03:18 PM
They were supposed to start years ago. I am 99% convinced that he'll write at least a short story related to DT

Ari_Racing
12-26-2016, 10:35 AM
I doubt there would be a DT story of any kind. King and Straub are supposed to begin work on Talisman 3 in two months.

If a DT story is gonna be published in 2017 is already written...

Randall Flagg
08-26-2018, 07:29 AM
So much for the theory of a new DT book in 2017. We are past half way through 2018 and still no info.

Earl of Popkin
08-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Yeah while your logic is sound, I’ve chosen to go the route of denial. 2017 may be lost but I’m clinging to King being inspired by Beyoncé’s album and is planning to drop a DT volume out of nowhere with no warning and then enjoying the ensuing chaos

Hunchback Jack
08-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Honestly, while another DT novel would be cool, I'd prefer Talisman 3.

Some kind of magic happens when those two authors get together.

HBJ

Bev Vincent
08-28-2018, 09:59 AM

HBJ

I think I say with some degree of confidence that we won't see a Talisman novel any time soon. Peter has been working on how own novel for quite some time now and isn't finished with it, which means there's been no work on a third book.

Earl of Popkin
08-28-2018, 10:59 AM
So we’re in agreement then that the next book should be:

Dark Tower: The Third Talisman

MikeDuke
08-28-2018, 11:00 AM

HBJ
I still need to get a S\L Talisman so King and Peter can take as much time as they need :smile:.

Ari_Racing
08-28-2018, 12:27 PM

HBJ

I think I say with some degree of confidence that we won't see a Talisman novel any time soon. Peter has been working on how own novel for quite some time now and isn't finished with it, which means there's been no work on a third book.

:(

Priest
08-28-2018, 01:15 PM
I would put a dollar in the hat and bet that Jericho Hill will come out before Talisman 3, and another one that neither will be in this decade

Hunchback Jack
08-28-2018, 01:30 PM

HBJ

Thanks, Bev!

(I wasn't really predicting T3, by the way. Just stating a preference.)

I can't wait for a new novel from Mr. Straub, either.

mae
08-28-2018, 02:03 PM
The window for T3 is closing this year if they were to stick to the Cycle of the Talisman. Really a shame it didn’t work out...

herbertwest
08-29-2018, 12:48 AM
I would put a dollar in the hat and bet that Jericho Hill will come out before Talisman 3, and another one that neither will be in this decade

I was convinced that it would be released with the movie.
Now I'd say.... whenever Amazon releases their series? :)

Bev Vincent
08-29-2018, 02:29 AM
The window for T3 is closing this year if they were to stick to the Cycle of the Talisman. Really a shame it didn’t work out...

How can 2 books have a cycle?

mae
08-29-2018, 05:13 AM

How can 2 books have a cycle?

Not per se, but it was 17 years between The Talisman and Black House, so had T3 come out this year, it would have kept to that cycle. Alas, it was not meant to be... I'm just a bit OCD so I always hoped it would happen this year.

Priest
08-29-2018, 07:01 AM

I was convinced that it would be released with the movie.
Now I'd say.... whenever Amazon releases their series? :)

That Amazon Projekt really has my hope :)
Would love to get something with more than „rescue the boy“