PDA

View Full Version : Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

swintek
12-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi all,

I've got to do the hard thing and sell my Centipede Salem's Lot Deluxe (Roman Numerald, not Lettered) edition. We just had a baby, and my wife is quitting her job to stay at home with the kids- daycare costs are hell, as I'm sure a lot of you know!

Anyhow, any opinions on terms of value? This is a tough one, as the market is down right now (at least on Ebay), but considering there hasn't been a copy of this offered since the week it came out (Ebay: $7,500.00), it's extremely hard to determine current market value. Obviously, I'm looking for "top value", whatever that may be.

I'm considering going the consignment route, via the new "Horror Mall", rather than Ebay, but wanted to ask the well-informed folks here what they think.

Ron

Rahfa
12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

I've got to do the hard thing and sell my Centipede Salem's Lot Deluxe (Roman Numerald, not Lettered) edition. We just had a baby, and my wife is quitting her job to stay at home with the kids- daycare costs are hell, as I'm sure a lot of you know!

Anyhow, any opinions on terms of value? This is a tough one, as the market is down right now (at least on Ebay), but considering there hasn't been a copy of this offered since the week it came out (Ebay: $7,500.00), it's extremely hard to determine current market value. Obviously, I'm looking for "top value", whatever that may be.

I'm considering going the consignment route, via the new "Horror Mall", rather than Ebay, but wanted to ask the well-informed folks here what they think.

Ron

I don't think it would sell for $7500, but def. a lot all the same...I've seen a few lettereds show up since the issue, though, but I can't remember what they sell for...

You should list it with a low starting bid but a high reserve (maybe $4500 or so) and see what happens...at least that way you'll get an idea for the market.

carlosdetweiller
12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Is it a "red" Roman numeral or a "black" Roman numeral?

swintek
12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Rahfa: I'd be curious to know what the other copies you saw sell sold for. I've been keeping my eyes peeled, and since that first $7500 copy- nothing, really. There was another on Ebay months later that got pulled, and there was that special copy on ABE with all the publisher's extras for some insane amount- maybe Bob (Bob- you're here!) would remember that one.

In any case, I'm looking for a lot more than $4500... even more than the $7500, considering there just hasn't been a copy offered anywhere in the years since. There's gotta be somebody out there waiting for a copy to come on the market.

Bob: Black numeraled, And Welcome over here!

Ron

Randall Flagg
12-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I would be very suprised if you received more than 5K. The people who had the money and desire to pay that price already have the book and I doubt any want two. Hopefully you do, but it is (IMO) unlikely.

Fsmdr
12-11-2007, 09:38 PM
You could also list it at the BIN price you'd like for it and accept offers. If you get 3 offers for around $5K, then it's more likely the price people are willing to pay for it.

Bob, it's nice to see you here. :D

wizardsrainbow
12-12-2007, 03:15 AM
I actually traded for my copy with Ceri (Calla_Wolf) in May 2005. I traded him straight up his Roman numeral (black) III for:

A PC S/L DT II and unmatched set DT III-VII.

In my collection "spreadsheet," I have been using a current market value of $4,750. I would be surprised to see you get more than $5,000 for your copy, especially if you need the $$ sooner rather than later.

I think Juliana's idea is great of using a higher BIN price but also see what is offered under a Best Offer scenario.

****A BIG BIG WELCOME TO BOB! What took you so long, man!****

Ari_Racing
12-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Welcome Bob!!! :) We missed you!

swintek
12-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, you guys are probably right. The market is just too soft right now. I think I might put it away for awhile, and sell (A LOT!) of other stuff to get to where I need to be.

My reasoning is- trying to be as objective as possible- that this is one of the rarest & NICEST King limiteds ever produced. I guess the only comparison is the asbestos Firestarter, and, objectively- whether I had a copy or not- the Salem's Lot wins hands down. It is rarer (by at least one copy, including all the pc copies- does anybody know how many "pc" copies of the Firestarter there are?), absolutely smokes it (parden the pun) in terms of beauty & craftsmanship, and as far as I can tell- a copy hasn't really come to market (except for the one on ebay) since it was issued four years ago.

I know "collectors" groan when I mention stuff like this, but there is also the matter of the actual novel itself: while Firestarter is a good read, Salem's Lot is arguably not only one of King's 2 or 3 best books, it's also a bona fide modern classic. I know this doesn't matter to most King collectors, but I mantain it should, damnit!

If I sold it, and then came into some money later down the road- It would be the first thing I'd buy again. The (let's face it-downright ugly!) asbestos Firestarter would be waaaaay down my list. But maybe that's just me.

I hope that doesn't come off wrong just because I was lucky enough to get a copy. I'm more of a reader-bibliophile, than a collector, I guess, and I really look for quality of form AND content when considering spending a lot of money on a book.

But all that means nothing in terms of current market "value", I know.

Ron

jhanic
12-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Ron, I agree with you that the content of the book does affect the price somewhat. Look at the limited editions of The Stand. Those, I believe because of the book itself, have held their value quite nicely. Of course, the production values of the edition have helped too.

John

Randall Flagg
12-12-2007, 10:26 AM
does anybody know how many "pc" copies of the Firestarter there are
Ron

I am not aware of any PC's of the asbestos Firestarter.
Rumour has it that one of the 26 was destroyed in a (no kidding) fire.

Sir_Boomme
12-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Ron, I agree with you that the content of the book does affect the price somewhat. Look at the limited editions of The Stand. Those, I believe because of the book itself, have held their value quite nicely. Of course, the production values of the edition have helped too.

John

i saw two of these sell the first week after issued... the first one ( the red version) sold for 9600.00; the second one (which i believe you guys are talking about) a black numerated one sold for 7675.00.
i've not seen one auctioned since (though i very likely might have missed seeing)

personally, my red numbered one.... wouldn't take less than 7500.00.... but then i don't plan to sell it.
realistically, with the market down... finding the right person with the cash in hand... 7500.00 might not happen... but i wouldn't even think of letting it go for under 5000.00 unless you're just desperate for the cash. i think the market will bounce back and the rarity of these, plus the incredible quality of them, they will bring much higher prices in the somewhat distant future.
true, i might be prejudiced/hopeful since i own one... but since i never plan to sell mine, it's all peanut shells to me.
the thing is... like the firestarter lettered... since almost all these are in the hands of hardcore collectors (like me) now, i think they will only show up on the market once or twice a decade - if that... when someone dies or has a severe king collector meltdown :onfire:.

Sir_Boomme
12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
ps. if you sell it for less than four grand ...email me, you have a buyer :)

...:orely:hmmm, guess that sets the minimum current value.... huh

namelessnpoor
12-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Wish i had the money. I'd love to have one. I have a numbered edition, couldn't afford the lettered when it came out.
Congrats on the baby (i also have one on the way, Due May 20). So i know how you feel, i have been selling off lots of stuff also. Extra copies, ones that don't mean much to me, and anything else !!

swintek
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your thoughts folks. Think I'm going to hang on to it, and figure something else out. Additionally (and "possibly" adding to this books "value"), is the chance that Centipede will get to produce the long-delayed [edited for "sworn-to-secrecy" reasons] limited that they have had ready (with original J.K. Potter illos!), and owners of Salem's Lot, get first priority.

Ron

Matt
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Congrats on your baby nameless...they are a wonderful thing :wub:

swintek
12-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Matt. Yeah, they are. Even better than an awesome book!

Sir_Boomme
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks, Matt. Yeah, they are. Even better than an awesome book!

personally, i'd take an awesome book any day... but that's just the opinion of a confirmed 48 year "old man" cranky bachelor with 2 dogs for kids speaking.:arg:
:lol:

herbertwest
12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
hmmm...
wtf is that edition?
what is so particular to this one?

any picture somewhere? :s

Sir_Boomme
12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
hmmm...
wtf is that edition?
what is so particular to this one?

any picture somewhere? :shttp://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7582/a1bsalemslotlimitedendxj4.jpg
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9342/a1asalemslotlimitedleatrx9.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6115/a1csalemslotlimitedsigngg6.jpg

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3932/a1dsalemslotlimitedbookbo9.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9385/a1esalemslotlimitedcaseso3.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9206/a1fsalemslotlimitedcasehl9.jpg

Sir_Boomme
12-12-2007, 04:51 PM
for comparison to the limited stand:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8919/booksxm2.jpg

swintek
12-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Sorry, missed that about your baby coming namelessnpoor- major congrats! Great books are wonderful- kids even more so! (and, awkwardly, sorry for thanking Matt for congratulating YOU on your baby).

Sir Boomme: Even though I wouldn't trade my rugrats for nice books, it doesn't mean I don't envy you just a little bit ; )

Ron

herbertwest
12-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Weeeeeellll !

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Congrats on your baby nameless...they are a wonderful thing :wub:

Yeah, the first 30 years are the worse :panic:

Matt
12-13-2007, 09:53 AM
:lol: Yeah they are.

Man, should these books be making me hotter than women? :unsure:

herbertwest
12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
can we use those pictures in the illustration thread of Salem's Lot?
:huglove:

Sir_Boomme
12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
can we use those pictures in the illustration thread of Salem's Lot?
:huglove:

well... truthfully....those aren't my pics... those are the auction pics of the copy that sold on ebay for 7500+. this is such a big book... rather than take a chance on messing mine up by overhandling it during a picture taking session... i have just used these pics to show people what the book looks like instead. that's why the copy shown is black numerated VI, mine is actually Red numerated IV.

since i don't remember who auctioned this book- or who bought it....i care less if you use the pictures...don't see why they would either unless they were one of those rare anal species.
the picture of the one in the case with the skeleton crew is miine and your definitely free to use that pic.

fyi... in that picture, you can't see it but the case shown came with a small dent on one corner. Jerad did get me an original replacement via the original maker (at no cost)- but it stays packed away for safe keeping, i use the slightly dented case to display the book.

John Blaze
01-26-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I bought the first 3 Gunslinger Borns as soon as they were issued, with variants, with promotional extras. I was hoping to collect them all, keep them for a long time, and maybe sell them in the far future. The problem is, I have alot of SK books and stuff that I don't really need. It's nice to have stuff like this, but with the baby growing, us trying to make another one, and the money trouble's of trying to buy milk and diapers and pay bills on just my income.... it's not a priority any more.

So the crux of the situation is this. I'm gonna post these things on ebay, as one sole auction, GB 1-3 with variants and promo items, nm/mint condition. However, as I have been away for a while from the SK collector's scene, I'm not sure I can get back what I paid for them. I originally paid $100+ for the first issue + variants, and $87 dollars a piece for the next two issues + variants. it adds up to about $260. The promo items I got separate, and am not really sure I remember how much I paid for them, but it wasn't much.

How much should I ask for them? I'm hoping I can get at least $200 back in my pocket.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate your input.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-26-2008, 01:50 AM
What do you guys think? I'd appreciate your input.

It's not good news. There have are many GB variants on ebay, at various prices. They do not sell unless they are cheap.

GB #1 variant BIN $11.74 http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-DARK-TOWER-GUNSLINGER-BORN-1-Variant_W0QQitemZ200194028037QQihZ010QQcategoryZ93 475QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The few collectors who want them, already have them. The market is also limited by the fact that they are not written by Stephen King.

wizardsrainbow
01-26-2008, 02:57 AM
JB-

Sad to say I agree with Rabbit, you might get $100 for the lot if you do a great job "marketing" the package on eBay.

NeedfulKings
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Good marketing and a low starting price may be your best bet. I hate doing it, but I almost always start my bids at .99 cents. It's a gamble, but usually gets the most bidders involved and I've had great success.

John Blaze
01-26-2008, 11:10 PM
aww that sucks. I'f that's the case. I might as well just keep them. Or maybe, I'll do a giveaway later on or something.

Thanks guys.

ATG
01-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I once spent about 2k on rare Koontz, King and Robert E. Howard books to be offered about $150.00 at a used/rare book store.

Collectible books are a hard investment.

herbertwest
01-26-2008, 11:49 PM
There is currently an ebay auction of the variants of the 7episods..
price started by $50... currently 55, and about 12hours remains....

ebay # : 290200102875

Matt
01-27-2008, 08:32 AM
aww that sucks. I'f that's the case. I might as well just keep them. Or maybe, I'll do a giveaway later on or something.

Thanks guys.

You could try to auction them here John, although it may be even less than you might find on ebay.

If you were just looking to get whatever from them I mean.

I am also setting up a charity auction for the Haven Foundation for the year anniversary of this site, you could save them and donate them to that cause if you wanted. :couple:

Calla_Wolf
01-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Not looking too good (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-DARK-TOWER-SKETCH-VARIANT-SET-1-7-JAE-LEE_W0QQitemZ290200102875QQihZ019QQcategoryZ77QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

John Blaze
01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, we'll see what happens. I don't think I want to sell them. What is The Haven FOundation? What does it benefit?

Patrick
01-27-2008, 04:51 PM
... I am also setting up a charity auction for the Haven Foundation for the year anniversary of this site, you could save them and donate them to that cause if you wanted. :couple:
... What is The Haven Foundation? What does it benefit?

Check it out. :thumbsup:

The Haven Foundation (http://www.thehavenfdn.org/)

From the desk of Stephen King:

In the summer of 1999, I was struck by a careless driver and nearly killed while taking my daily walk. It was ten months before I was able to work productively again. Some years later, a good friend of mine, audio reader Frank Muller, suffered terrible head injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident. He will never work again. My luck was infinitely better than Muller’s, but the two events set me thinking about the uniquely perilous situation of many freelance artists. The majority of mid-list writers, audio readers, and freelancers in the book and publishing industry have little or no financial cushion in the event of a sudden catastrophic accident such as that suffered by Muller and myself. Many aren’t affiliated with any professional associations or guilds that can help them in the event of such reversals. Even those who are affiliated with organizations such as The Authors’ Guild cannot look for much beyond token help over a short period of time.

My response to this has been the creation of The Haven Foundation. Its goals will be fourfold:

First, to establish a compassionate and committed group of board members willing to sift through cases and identify those where the need seems to be the greatest. These “greatest need” cases would be freelance artists—writers, readers, and those in the associated publishing industry—who have found themselves unable to work due to disease or accident. We will also be focusing on freelancers associated with the book and publishing industry who lost their homes and work spaces (with freelancers these are often the same) as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Second, to help a number of these individuals each year, based on need.

Third, to establish cut-off points for such help. As I have discovered, the decision to cut off aid is an agonizing one, and best made by a group rather than by an individual. I have come to believe, however, that it must be made if help is to be rendered to the many rather than the few.

Fourth, to seek fundraising opportunities so that The Haven Foundation can continue to do this work.

Stephen King
June 7, 2006

Matt
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Its a charity that Stephen King set up to benefit freelance artists (such as the people who record audio books).

When Frank Muller was hurt, he found out these guys don't have the kind of financial foundation that they need. Insurance and stuff.

Edit

Thank you Patrick. :couple:

Randall Flagg
01-28-2008, 07:07 AM
The purpose of this thread is to provide an area where members can receive opinions as to the current market value of specific King collectible items.
The opinions can help to decide a price for someone to sell, or perhaps to buy.
It will work best for specific, serious inquiries, not just the posting of an E-bay link out of curiosity.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-28-2008, 07:15 AM
A seller's opinion will be vastly different from a buyer's opinion. (in my opinion) :dance:

Randall Flagg
01-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Hopefully, here a somewhat neutral third party can give an opinion.
Just as in autos there is going to be a big difference between wholesale, retail and even trade in value, as well as price to/from a dealer versus price to/from a private party.

wizardsrainbow
01-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Great thread idea Jerome! I will be more than happy to offer my "advice."

e_taylor
01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
A sealed copy of DT IV? (the Grant edition of course, with a slipcase from "The Collector")

Randall Flagg
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
A sealed copy of DT IV? (the Grant edition of course, with a slipcase from "The Collector")
Wholesale $150
Retail $175-$199

shnnrc01
01-28-2008, 11:59 AM
my ARC/Proof Secretary of Dreams Vol. 1 Flatsigned

jhanic
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Do you have any provenance of the signature? If you do, that adds to the value.

John

shnnrc01
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
i got it signed at Kings UK tour of Liseys.theres a photo of it on my collection page.

jhanic
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
The ARC itself should go between $100 and $150. It's not really that scarce. I'd add another $100 for the autograph.

John

shnnrc01
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
ho many of those ARCs are there john?ihave #56

jhanic
01-28-2008, 12:36 PM
The one I have isn't numbered. I didn't know there even WERE numbered ones. I've seen a number of them on eBay, mostly going in the range I mentioned.

John

Sir_Boomme
01-28-2008, 02:12 PM
The one I have isn't numbered. I didn't know there even WERE numbered ones. I've seen a number of them on eBay, mostly going in the range I mentioned.

John

yeah john.... the ones i've seen are like mine below... numbered on the edge with black marker. i'm not sure how many there were though.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk1-Proofs/Z4-SecretaryofDreamsnumberedproof.jpg

though there appear to be ones that don't have the proof banner across the top like the one in this auction: SOC auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-STEPHEN-KING-Secretary-Of-Dreams-Vol-ARC-MINT-Cpy_W0QQitemZ330207733723QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29223Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

carlosdetweiller
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM

John

yeah john.... the ones i've seen are like mine below... numbered on the edge with black marker. i'm not sure how many there were though.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk1-Proofs/Z4-SecretaryofDreamsnumberedproof.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk1-Proofs/Z4-SecretaryofDreamsnumberedproof.jpg

though there appear to be ones that don't have the proof banner across the top like the one in this auction: SOC auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-STEPHEN-KING-Secretary-Of-Dreams-Vol-ARC-MINT-Cpy_W0QQitemZ330207733723QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29223Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Mine has no writing on it at all. And I wonder if the image on the auction you have linked to has had the top cropped off to fit the scanner?

Room 217 Caretaker
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM

John

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk1-Proofs/Z4-SecretaryofDreamsnumberedproof.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Mine has no writing on it at all. And I wonder if the image on the auction you have linked to has had the top cropped off to fit the scanner?

I'm thinking cropped as well. If you look at the curl of the TH it's cut off.

The banner's probably there.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
01-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I've emailed the seller a question about this.

John

Ari_Racing
01-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Mine is #32.

Sir_Boomme
01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
it's probably is cropped... which is kinda bad since that is the main selling point (that it's a proof) you'd think the seller would want to highlight that point in the picture.

jhanic
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Here's what the seller emailed me:

Dear jhanic,

It does, sorry I could not fit whole image on my scanner- States

'Advanced Uncorrected Proof- Not for sale' and does have the
orange
background-Thanks

-purplegrottobooks

John

John Blaze
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks Matt, i liked yours better, but I had already read Patrick's :P

thanks Patrick.

namelessnpoor
02-01-2008, 02:52 PM
what do you all say a S/L #737 From a Buick 8 is worth right now?
Its in excellent shape, both book and case are fine.

NeedfulKings
02-01-2008, 03:17 PM
ABE has one for $650

Ebay had a BIN of $595 that did not sell.

I would use those numbers as the high market value.

Randall Flagg
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
what do you all say a S/L #737 From a Buick 8 is worth right now?
Its in excellent shape, both book and case are fine.
Wholesale: $375-$400
Retail $425-$475

oy-the-brave
02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
I got a copy a month or so ago for 300.00 from a guy on shocklines:)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-02-2008, 01:00 AM
I got a copy a month or so ago for 300.00 from a guy on shocklines:)

I got one on ebay 3 weeks ago for $310.

Randall Flagg
02-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Based upon those two purchases, my estimate is high.

namelessnpoor
02-02-2008, 10:18 AM
well not the news / prices i was looking for !! LOL but i had a feeling it wold be lower than i expected, so i am not to surprised. Everythng seems to be a bit on the low side right now. No big deal really, i will just hold on to it and if anyone comes up with a Gunslinger first they think is comparable price wise i will gladly trade it. I'll even take a gunslinger without a Dust jacket, i happen to have a somewhat decent extra jacket !!

e_taylor
02-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Just wondering what the real value of Legends 1 is - the signed/limited to 200 copies released by Tor...? I see one on ebay for $2,200 and one on ABE for $1,200 but I have a feeling those are both overpriced....

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Just wondering what the real value of Legends 1 is - the signed/limited to 200 copies released by Tor...? I see one on ebay for $2,200 and one on ABE for $1,200 but I have a feeling those are both overpriced....

The lowest I have seen it going for on ebay is $800. The real value, is what someone is willing to pay.

carlosdetweiller
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM

The lowest I have seen it going for on ebay is $800. The real value, is what someone is willing to pay.

Betts has one of the 50 lettered copies for sale for $1500. I haven't seen more than a handful of those for sale since the book was published. I think they were used as contributor copies and not many seem to have been willing to sell them.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Betts has one of the 50 lettered copies for sale for $1500. I haven't seen more than a handful of those for sale since the book was published. I think they were used as contributor copies and not many seem to have been willing to sell them.

I saw that last week and almost bought it. Stu has been reducing his prices a little for short periods, so I was waiting to see if I could get it cheaper.

carlosdetweiller
02-06-2008, 08:57 AM

I saw that last week and almost bought it. Stu has been reducing his prices a little for short periods, so I was waiting to see if I could get it cheaper.

The similar book TRANSGRESSIONS had 26 lettered copies done. I don't recall ever seeing one of those for sale. Has anyone else?

Matt
02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm wondering what you guys would consider the value on a DTVII Artists Edition with artists sig.

It is not in the shirk wrap but has only been opened once.

Fsmdr
02-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm wondering what you guys would consider the value on a DTVII Artists Edition with artists sig.

I'm guessing about $60-$75

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-06-2008, 10:32 AM
The similar book TRANSGRESSIONS had 26 lettered copies done. I don't recall ever seeing one of those for sale. Has anyone else?

I've never seen the lettered version for sale. It wasn't even in Chris's collection at Betts.

Matt
02-06-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm guessing about $60-$75

Thanks so much--that's pretty much exactly what I figured. :thumbsup:

jemaher
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Legends is a hard book to find at a reasonable price. I wanted to get a copy several months ago and could not find one for less than 1k

Fsmdr
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Can I get an opinion on the value of the UK 'gift' signed on bookplate with slipcase editions of Desperation and The regulators?. Thanks in advance.

jhanic
02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Juliana, I'm not familiar with a UK "gift" edition of Desperation and The Regulators. I know there's a signed/limited edition (on a bookplate) of both with slipcase that numbered up to 250. (I have #230). My cost was about $250 a few years ago. I imagine it may be more now--maybe $300.

John

Fsmdr
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes, that must be the one I was refering to. Is that 2 books in 1 slipcase?.

jhanic
02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Yep.

The bookplate should be numbered (like mine) as xxx/250.

John

Hutch
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Legends is a hard book to find at a reasonable price. I wanted to get a copy several months ago and could not find one for less than 1k

and to think I had a dozen of them when they came out. It was difficult to do since they were released as 1 per store ( and perhaps as a lottery ).

Hutch
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, that must be the one I was refering to. Is that 2 books in 1 slipcase?.

that's the one. It's not a gift edition like so many of the UK limiteds. The gift editions all had plates with facsimile signatures ( printed ).

I think the only truly signed limited UK editions are :
Rose Madder, Insomnia had gift and S/L ( oddly the gift has a slipcase but not the S/L), Desperation/Regulators, DT IV and the trade UK Bag Of Bones with the S/L plate affixed.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Can I get an opinion on the value of the UK 'gift' signed on bookplate with slipcase editions of Desperation and The regulators?. Thanks in advance.

Someone has put a bid of £230 ($460) on this set.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Desperation-The-Regulators-Ltd-Edition_W0QQitemZ330213281747QQihZ014QQcategoryZ27 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Randall Flagg
02-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I think the only truly signed limited UK editions are :
Rose Madder, Insomnia had gift and S/L ( oddly the gift has a slipcase but not the S/L), Desperation/Regulators, DT IV and the trade UK Bag Of Bones with the S/L plate affixed.

One addition, though not 100% King:

1988 Prime Evil 1,000 (+250 UK, Bantam Press)

Chooch
02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
How about a "PC' Dolans Cadillac with marbeld boards?

or should I say "Pasiley" boards?

Randall Flagg
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
How about a "PC' Dolans Cadillac with marbeld boards?

or should I say "Pasiley" boards?
There are two 'Dolan's Cadillac' with marbled boards.
One is considered the "Lettered", (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=987) and one the 1/250 "marbled". (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=989)
Both are in fact a marbled colored.
Lord John Press printed an unknown, but substantial quantity of PC, etc versions of this title.
Speaking from recent purchasing experience, I say a 1/250 (but a PC therefore unnumbered) copy in fine condition is worth ~$450-$650.
I know it's a wide range, but to me that is how the books sells for.
The "lettered" is a "market value". Who knows untill the sale is made.

Chooch
02-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks for your input Mr Flagg.....However, Herb at Lord John Press has informed me that only 100 "PC" Editions were made. That being said and there is four states of them that would leave each state to 25 each. Does anyone know the four different states? I have what appears as a Deluxe (Gold,Gray,Black boards) and Im guessing the others would be the Cadillac boards and the colored Marble ...what would be the last?

carlosdetweiller
02-27-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks for your input Mr Flagg.....However, Herb at Lord John Press has informed me that only 100 "PC" Editions were made. That being said and there is four states of them that would leave each state to 25 each. Does anyone know the four different states? I have what appears as a Deluxe (Gold,Gray,Black boards) and Im guessing the others would be the Cadillac boards and the colored Marble ...what would be the last?

There is, of course, the lettered edition limited to 26 copies. It has colored boards (primarily blue, red and grayish green) and leather on the spine and fore-edges of the front and rear boards (I think this is called "half leather"). Supposedly there is a "PC" edition of this binding but I have never seen one. Chris Cavalier and I have both looked for years. I think Barry Levin has seen one and affirms its existence but there must have been VERY few copies done if it does exist.

Other than that I know of only two other "PC" states. One for the deluxe edition that you have and one for the more common Cadillac boards. That would be three different "PC" states and not four.

Bibliographically it is a very interesting book. There are also two different proof states - one with blue-gray wrappers and one with brownish wrappers. I have no idea why that was done.

Cutter
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Insomnia had gift and S/L ( oddly the gift has a slipcase but not the S/L)
Actually I've never been able to figure out if my UK Insomnia was the gift or limited, because those facsimile sigs are pretty good. And I bought it so long ago I have no idea what I paid for it, and I don't remember if it was the gift or limited.

It does not have a slipcase, so that's encouraging. Does anyone know if they are numbered and/or what color of ink he used to sign the Limited Edition?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Actually I've never been able to figure out if my UK Insomnia was the gift or limited, because those facsimile sigs are pretty good. And I bought it so long ago I have no idea what I paid for it, and I don't remember if it was the gift or limited.

It does not have a slipcase, so that's encouraging. Does anyone know if they are numbered and/or what color of ink he used to sign the Limited Edition?

They are easy to tell apart.

The S/L is a darker blue with glossy faux leather. No slipcase. The bookplate is signed by King and numbered ???/200.

The gift edition and slipcase have a cloth type cover. The bookplate has a facsimile signature and just says Limited Edition.

Everything else is the same. Both are sh*t limited editions.

Airtraffic
02-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm still sad to see that the market has fallen this far.

Cutter
03-01-2008, 10:52 AM

They are easy to tell apart.

The S/L is a darker blue with glossy faux leather. No slipcase. The bookplate is signed by King and numbered ???/200.

The gift edition and slipcase have a cloth type cover. The bookplate has a facsimile signature and just says Limited Edition.

Everything else is the same. Both are sh*t limited editions.

Well crap, I have a Gift Edition without the slipcase. That sucks, Oh well...

btw Airtraffic some stuff is keeping it's value. I saw another Dark Tower 1st at $550, and the auction wasn't done. I'm not sure what it finished at but it was encouraging.

NeedfulKings
03-01-2008, 06:06 PM
So, I'm wanting to pick up Lighthouse IV, V, and VI. These are the three Stephen King issues. Our very own CRinVA actually has a story in one. I just want the softcover, limited to 1 of 300 issues.

Any idea what I should pay??? I've got my eyes on one set, but want your opinion(s).

e_taylor
03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Heres a tough one (in my opinion):

1st edition trade copy of Land of Enchantment's "Cycle of the Werewolf".

Fine book, in near fine dust jacket (light edge wear, NO fading to spine or anywhere), in after market slipcase.

Signed by artist Berni Wrightson on the title page.

Also, is this the type of book (heavy with colour and black and white illustrations) that will jump in value when (god forbid) Berni passes?

wizardsrainbow
03-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Heres a tough one (in my opinion):

1st edition trade copy of Land of Enchantment's "Cycle of the Werewolf".

Fine book, in near fine dust jacket (light edge wear, NO fading to spine or anywhere), in after market slipcase.

Signed by artist Berni Wrightson on the title page.

Also, is this the type of book (heavy with colour and black and white illustrations) that will jump in value when (god forbid) Berni passes?

Given the description, I would say $200, or close to it. This book is very hard to find in Fine/Fine condition because the DJ often has little white dots on it and is very fragile to boot. Aftermarket slipcase adds to the value somewhat.

Does this book shoot up in value if Bernie dies? Probably not.

CRinVA
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
So, I'm wanting to pick up Lighthouse IV, V, and VI. These are the three Stephen King issues. Our very own CRinVA actually has a story in one. I just want the softcover, limited to 1 of 300 issues.

Any idea what I should pay??? I've got my eyes on one set, but want your opinion(s).

I don;t really knkow the value but would think they are not really worth more than $10 - $15 each! of course I could sign Lighthouse VI and I am sure it would skyrocket in value to perhaps $16! :-)

NeedfulKings
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

I don;t really knkow the value but would think they are not really worth more than $10 - $15 each! of course I could sign Lighthouse VI and I am sure it would skyrocket in value to perhaps $16! :-)

Availability seems to be the issue. Aside from one set (matching #'s and I'm assuming unsigned) for $75, I can't locate them anywhere. I actually own IV already.

I know they're not really "collector's" items, but between the fan fiction and articles, they're pretty good. And yes, you'd be expected to sign our copy of VI when we get it! :evil:

Chooch
03-06-2008, 08:11 PM
OK i know its not a book, and its onlt kinda SK related..but what do you think a ball park on this is?? Its 5 1/4 x 8 1/2

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2275&ppuser=573

Thanks for any help

wizardsrainbow
03-07-2008, 03:17 AM
OK i know its not a book, and its onlt kinda SK related..but what do you think a ball park on this is?? Its 5 1/4 x 8 1/2

Thanks for any help

Hmmmm....wild guess here, but $75-$100.

oy-the-brave
03-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Thanks for any help

Hmmmm....wild guess here, but $75-$100.

Thats a pretty good guess Wiz, Cemetery Dance was selling original drawings like that by Glenn for 100.00, you could request a drawing from any King book, I have 2, 1 from DT1 and 1 from DT2.

Chooch
03-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Thats exactly where I got it, but they sent it with a grab bag. Can you still request drawings??

oy-the-brave
03-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Thats exactly where I got it, but they sent it with a grab bag. Can you still request drawings??

I am not sure if they are still offering them but you can send an email to Mindy and ask info@cemeterydance.com

herbertwest
03-08-2008, 05:14 PM
still nothing about the secretary of the dreams 2?

was supposed to have some news since awhile...
but now that they got preorders, they will maybe be able to start in 2009..

jhanic
03-09-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm not holding my breath. It'll show up when it shows up. Cemetary Dance doesn't even have the cover art on their site yet.

John

Cutter
03-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Heck I would just like to get any of the 3 "About" books, the Non-fiction, et cetera that I paid for two Septembers or so ago. Asking for money for any book that takes over a year to publish is just wrong. :angry:

jhanic
03-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Except for Secretary of Dreams II, I'm refusing to pre-order ANY Cemetary Dance items. The only reason I did it for SOCII is that I want to be sure to match my s/n number.

I waited for the Dark Forces volume (yes, I know it wasn't officially a Cemetary Dance book, but...) and was still able to get a copy from the publisher after it was published.

John

Hutch
03-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Heck I would just like to get any of the 3 "About" books, the Non-fiction, et cetera that I paid for two Septembers or so ago. Asking for money for any book that takes over a year to publish is just wrong. :angry:

I've been waiting 9 years for Legacies. On order were several copies of all states of the book. I all ever got were two proofs. I'm out nearly $2000 and have refunded all my customers for that title.

e_taylor
03-09-2008, 12:23 PM

I've been waiting 9 years for Legacies. On order were several copies of all states of the book. I all ever got were two proofs. I'm out nearly $2000 and have refunded all my customers for that title.

I don't even understand why they WANT to take pre-orders so early in the production cycle - you'd think as a business they'd want all their pre-order debits and printing/binding credits matched up in the year of production so as not to inflate profits one year and deflate them another....

In any case, getting a bit off topic.....

Whats the REAL market value of the signed limited editions of DTV, DTVI and DTVII? I saw those three with matched numbers go for $960 or so... And if about $320 per book is really the value, is there anyone who wants to sell me their copies??:excited:

jhanic
03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't even understand why they WANT to take pre-orders so early in the production cycle - you'd think as a business they'd want all their pre-order debits and printing/binding credits matched up in the year of production so as not to inflate profits one year and deflate them another....

I have a feeling that they need the money from the pre-orders to pay current bills. Not the best business practice, for sure.

John

carlosdetweiller
03-09-2008, 12:49 PM
As most of you know I had over $7000 in prepaid books with Cemetery Dance a year or so ago. Some, like LEGACIES, were nine years past due. Finally I had had enough and had them refund all of my preorders.

Since then I have had no trouble at all buying any CD book that I have wanted at or below cover price. This includes the limited SOD and DARK FORCES. And I find myself sleeping much better knowing that if Cemetery Dance goes bankrupt I am not left holding the debt.

Calla_Wolf
03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Whats the REAL market value of the signed limited editions of DTV, DTVI and DTVII? I saw those three with matched numbers go for $960 or so... And if about $320 per book is really the value, is there anyone who wants to sell me their copies??:excited:

Getting back on topic, the later DT S/Ltds are indeed going for between $300 and $400. If/when Grant publish the S/Ltd of The Revised Gunslinger, demand for DT7 will rise if Grant say only the owners of DT7 may purchase it.

Randall Flagg
03-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I would say ~$400 per book. SOS perhaps $375. Sad but true. a real value for someone wanting an undeniable King signed copy of a well built book.

Since then I have had no trouble at all buying any CD book that I have wanted at or below cover price. This includes the limited SOD and DARK FORCES. And I find myself sleeping much better knowing that if Cemetery Dance goes bankrupt I am not left holding the debt.
Amen to that.

Rahfa
03-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Getting back on topic, the later DT S/Ltds are indeed going for between $300 and $400. If/when Grant publish the S/Ltd of The Revised Gunslinger, demand for DT7 will rise if Grant say only the owners of DT7 may purchase it.

It pains me to think even that's not the case...when DT I Revised finally gets announced officially, I think there might be too many sellers to really spike its value in any meaningful way. There are the few hardcore collectors among us, and a few new ones, but there will surely be a few hundred available from Grant anyway...

I have an extra DT VII that I'm selling when it gets announced - no matter what it sells for. I don't want two copies of the Revised edition, and after that gets printed, the value of DT VII will plummet even further...

However, I've said before and will say again that 1st editions of the first five books, the original S/L of Gunslinger, the lettered Skeleton Crew, and other unique limiteds like that will continue to be solid, appreciating investments...

e_taylor
03-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Market value of: DTV: Wolves of the Calla Artist's Edition.
-Sealed in shrink wrap and housed in slip case from the collector.

If/when I sell this I was thinking of an opening bid of $249.99 on ebay, is that about right?

jhanic
03-10-2008, 05:41 AM
I think you'e way high, even given the slipcase. Check out the Collector's evaluation:

DT V (http://skcollector.com/limited/dt5.html)

John

Randall Flagg
03-10-2008, 05:52 AM

If/when I sell this I was thinking of an opening bid of $249.99 on ebay, is that about right?
$100-$125 if you are lucky.

Cutter
03-10-2008, 07:23 AM
As most of you know I had over $7000 in prepaid books with Cemetery Dance a year or so ago. Some, like LEGACIES, were nine years past due. Finally I had had enough and had them refund all of my preorders.

I actually sorta just did the same. I canceled most of my orders, stuff like Lettered Editions I have been waiting over two years for and something like The Koontz collector’s guide, which I have a feeling will never be printed. Although I kept my 3 King “about” books and SoD 2. I also kept Pelan’s greatest stories of the 20th century, because it’s now doubled in price, and I kept The Stoker Award Winners, which has a great line-up and Lansdale is the editor. And lastly I kept the Brian Keene books, because those go up in value on release on eBay.

So I went half-way, but I still got about $1,500 in returns, and they only took about two weeks to return all my money. I plan on pre-ordering any CD book through the Horror Mall or Camelot Books, because they don’t ask for the money until the book is released. So that’s my new policy with CD. Having a couple of thousand tied up with CD is not acceptable anymore.

btw, I agree with RF, an artist edition isn't going to bring much on eBay.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-10-2008, 08:44 AM

I will buy it for $130

Randall Flagg
03-10-2008, 09:08 AM

I will buy it for $130
I think that is a generous offer, and I would sell it.

Hutch
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM

I will buy it for $130
I think that is a generous offer, and I would sell it.

I think it's worth a bit more than VI and VII... weren't there 1500 fewer copies?

jhanic
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Both V and VI were 3500, VII was 5000.

John

namelessnpoor
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Just wanted to get an idea of what this book is worth, not looking to sell it just curious as to its value

SIGNED
3rd printing of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (book and DJ are in excellent shape)

Its the one signed book i managed to get from The Haven Foundation when they were selling the different signed King books
So at least i know it is legitimate

tippy4
03-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Just wanted to get an idea of what this book is worth, not looking to sell it just curious as to its value

SIGNED
3rd printing of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (book and DJ are in excellent shape)

Its the one signed book i managed to get from The Haven Foundation when they were selling the different signed King books

I agree that your price of $250 is very high. I would not go so far as to call $130 generous.

Put it this way, I would not be surprised to see this book sell for $130-$145 on ebay. Of course if you sell it on ebay you are going to pay $7-$9 in fees...so you need to take that into account. I would be surprised to see this book and slipcase sell for over $150.....but stanger things have happened.

Randall Flagg
03-10-2008, 02:15 PM

SIGNED

$150.
Had it been a 1st (which I know The Haven did not have), I would say >$200, depending on how "neat" King signed it.
The combination of a 3rd print, and a less than desirable book lower the price.

namelessnpoor
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
$150.
Had it been a 1st (which I know The Haven did not have), I would say >$200, depending on how "neat" King signed it.
The combination of a 3rd print, and a less than desirable book lower the price.[/QUOTE]

Not to bad, about what i expected it to be worth, certainly not bad since it only cost me $30 !
thanks for the evaluation

e_taylor
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM
This one ought to be interesting.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dark-Tower-The-Gunslinger-Stephen-King-1st-Edition-HC_W0QQitemZ110230533410QQihZ001QQcategoryZ29223QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller pulled it and re-listed it in a lot, I got the lot for $90 including shipping.

Additional to the description - it has a forward lean to the spine and the binging is loosening at the covers. Aside from the darkened areas where tape had been, the tear to the ffep, and a library stamp (which is well placed so as not to be obvious) - it looks like a well loved book as opposed to an actual ex-library copy.

Obviously without a DJ its value plumets, but I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about its value. Did I make a good purchase?

tippy4
03-13-2008, 10:08 AM
This one ought to be interesting.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dark-Tower-The-Gunslinger-Stephen-King-1st-Edition-HC_W0QQitemZ110230533410QQihZ001QQcategoryZ29223QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller pulled it and re-listed it in a lot, I got the lot for $90 including shipping.

Additional to the description - it has a forward lean to the spine and the binging is loosening at the covers. Aside from the darkened areas where tape had been, the tear to the ffep, and a library stamp (which is well placed so as not to be obvious) - it looks like a well loved book as opposed to an actual ex-library copy.

Obviously without a DJ its value plumets, but I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about its value. Did I make a good purchase?

I have a spare DJ for this book for sale. It is pretty beat up, but it might be better than nothing. PM me if you are interested.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-13-2008, 10:32 AM
My Signed/Limited Firestarter is also inscribed and dated at the title page. Has this added to the value or devalued it?

jhanic
03-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I would say it added to the value. (I'm assuming the inscription and signature is that of King.) Is the date close to the issue date on later? The closer to the issue date, of course, the more valuable.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I would say it added to the value. (I'm assuming the inscription and signature is that of King.) Is the date close to the issue date on later? The closer to the issue date, of course, the more valuable.

John

The inscription is dated 8/22/80. That's just over a month after release.

I got it from Betts, so King's inscription and signature are genuine. It also looks spot on to me.

jhanic
03-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Congratulations! That's a great acquisition!

John

carlosdetweiller
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM

John

The inscription is dated 8/22/80. That's just over a month after release.

I got it from Betts, so King's inscription and signature are genuine. It also looks spot on to me.

It sounds great to me, too. To whom is the book inscribed? It might be an "association" copy.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-13-2008, 11:30 AM
It sounds great to me, too. To whom is the book inscribed? It might be an "association" copy.

It is inscribed: To Mark - All Best Stephen King 8/22/80

wizardsrainbow
03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Just curious....

This is the Plume Gunslinger variant cover next to the actual released 1st edition. Does anybody know the full story of how many of these survived? What value would you place on it? I am considering taking my copy to DC to get is signed. It might be the only one of its kind signed....value?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Plume_VariantCover.JPG

wizardsrainbow
03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
2nd question pertains to the UK ARC of Song of Susannah. We know that UK Dark Tower ARC was limited to 100 copies numbered. SoS was not numbered but still appears to have a fairly limited release. Anybody have a guestimate as to how many? This is one of the other books I am thinking about taking to DC as I have a signed UK DT VII ARC (the only one signed that I know of). Thought it might be a cool set, given the similarity of the covers.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/SoS_UK_ARC.JPG

Hutch
03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Just curious....

This is the Plume Gunslinger variant cover next to the actual released 1st edition. Does anybody know the full story of how many of these survived? What value would you place on it? I am considering taking my copy to DC to get is signed. It might be the only one of its kind signed....value?

We've all seen the drop in the value of our items. But nowhere in the King world has any drop been as steep as it has in the Dark Tower realm. If judging by value, I wouldn't take anything Dark Tower to get signed if you have other options in your collection. And David I know you have options.
If you feel obligated to take a DT book because of the love of the series. Why not take your favorite remarque Artist edition DT VII?

Calla_Wolf
03-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Just curious....

We've all seen the drop in the value of our items. But nowhere in the King world has any drop been as steep as it has in the Dark Tower realm. If judging by value, I wouldn't take anything Dark Tower to get signed if you have other options in your collection. And David I know you have options.
If you feel obligated to take a DT book because of the love of the series. Why not take your favorite remarque Artist edition DT VII?

That's a good idea....better still, why not take the S/Ltd you got from me? I'm sure King would enjoy seeing it and he might write an inscription to go with it....

Calla_Wolf
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
P.S. I believe I have a unique Dark Tower item - I have the Wizard & Glass promo booklet signed. Never seen one before or since SK signed it for me. :)

Ari_Racing
03-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Wiz:

I received the letter from the publisher: 250 copies only of SOS UK ARC

Cutter
03-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Wiz:

I received the letter from the publisher: 250 copies only of SOS UK ARC

Very good information Ari, thanks even though it was directed at Wiz.

Ari_Racing
03-14-2008, 01:51 AM
:) Thanks Geoff.

wizardsrainbow
03-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks Ari for the 250 number.

Thanks Hutch and Calla for your advice. Yes, I do have items where I could meaningfully increase the value by having King sign them. And yes, you are spot on in that the Dark Tower is my most favorite, extensive and unique part of my collection. I know too often I make decisions for my collection based 60% value and 40% love. Perhaps the Whelan remarqued DT AE editions represents the best of both to me. Will give it some thought.

And Ceri, I appreciate your suggestion on my "ultimate" remarque, but in my eyes, it is perfect in every way. Not even an inscription to me would make me love it more.

Patrick
03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
David, ignore your head and listen to your heart. This isn't about the potential for a few hundred bucks swing in a book's value. You meet King, he signs a book for you, make it one you love because whatever he signs specifically for you in person is the last thing you'd sell anyway.

Matt
03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
You got that right :lol:

Justin Case
03-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi all.... I got to thinking. I've got an Arkham House 1st ed of New Tales of the Mythos (or some title similar - I'm at work and forget :( ). It has the first printing of SK's Crouch End. Any ball park estimate would be helpful. THANX!!

jhanic
03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
If it's in fine condition, I'd say about $100-150. A quick search of Adall bookstores show some a lot higher, but the prices there are always too high. (They showed a high of $350!) There are a couple later printings on eBay in the $50 range.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi all.... I got to thinking. I've got an Arkham House 1st ed of New Tales of the Mythos (or some title similar - I'm at work and forget :( ). It has the first printing of SK's Crouch End. Any ball park estimate would be helpful. THANX!!

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9120/newtaleslh0.jpg

If this is the book you refer to..... I got mine off ebay for $9

Justin Case
03-19-2008, 09:06 AM
John - thanks for the info... yeah, mine is not that fine but pretty OK:beat:

Mr. Rabbit Trick - yup, that's the baby. Wow, $9!!! I really did get beat, I paid $75!! :beat: :beat:

Phil

Cutter
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM

Mr. Rabbit Trick - yup, that's the baby. Wow, $9!!! I really did get beat, I paid $75!! :beat: :beat:

Phil

Arkham House books go from $10 to $500. It just matters. Unless we are talking about Dark Carnival or The Outsider and Others, then we’re talking thousands. If you remember Phil I got Lovecraft’s Dagon in mint condition for $25. I could have easily bought it for $250 somewhere else. So you never know what you could get on eBay for that book. In fact it's up for $55 on eBay right now (no bidders, though)

jhanic
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I had a collection of about 150 Arkham House books that I sold last year for $8000. I was happy. I didn't have any of the real rarities, but I did have some of the more scarce ones.

John

Justin Case
03-20-2008, 06:03 AM

Phil

Arkham House books go from $10 to $500. It just matters. Unless we are talking about Dark Carnival or The Outsider and Others, then we’re talking thousands. If you remember Phil I got Lovecraft’s Dagon in mint condition for $25. I could have easily bought it for $250 somewhere else. So you never know what you could get on eBay for that book. In fact it's up for $55 on eBay right now (no bidders, though)

Geoff - you are so right my friend. I was totally jazzed when I saw that fine (mint? - it sure looked it all things considered) copy of Dagon you got for $25 :clap: . Man, I have to admit to a little jealousy too:cry: .. you ALWAYS get these amazing deals, man, I dont' know how you do it... eh, anyway. you are right and Ebay is the place to be for so much of what's good but I never have the time and I also know I'd be addicted in a second, spend all my money and end up homeless (sorry for the hyperbola, but you get my point). I'm still amazed at the beautiful Bradbury Martian Chronicals you got for $30 - one of two variant "layman" editions of this amazing book (the only diff being a sig?). Anyhoo... your collection is legion my friend (too much coffee:excited: :excited: :excited: )

Phil

Justin Case
03-20-2008, 06:07 AM
BTW, Geoff, you couldn't get a mint copy better than yours if you spent $500 IMO..... lucky duck ;)

Fsmdr
03-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Opinion on the value of the Talisman Gift edition in gray slipcase?. Thanks.

jhanic
03-21-2008, 07:56 AM
The Collector has it listed for $150-$225. I couldn't find anything on eBay or ABE. I'd say he's pretty much in the ballpark.

John

natehorning
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
There have been a two on eBay in the last several weeks. The first sold for around $135 and the second didn't sell at $125. It was relisted and is still available should someone be interested.

Nate

wizardsrainbow
03-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Man, it wasn't long ago that these went for $175 minimum!

natehorning
03-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Yep, that would be right around the time I bought mine. Oh, well.

Nate

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Man, it wasn't long ago that these went for $175 minimum!

I just bought the Talisman gift set inscribed by Straub from Betts a few minutes ago. $150.

e_taylor
03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
How much does one of the sketches by Whelan in the artist edition of DTVII add to the value of that book? Not a full page, just a doodle of the eye of the crimson king above his signature.

wizardsrainbow
03-24-2008, 02:51 AM
How much does one of the sketches by Whelan in the artist edition of DTVII add to the value of that book? Not a full page, just a doodle of the eye of the crimson king above his signature.

I would say it adds $10-15 at most. I have seen DT VII Artist editions (just signed) go for $50-$55, so a doodled one might go for $60-$70.

artan
03-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Which is the right VALUE (price) for the following books?

1) whispers (stephen king issue)
Special hardcover edition (double issue). Volume 5, Number 1-2, Whole Number 17-18. This copy is NOT signed.

2) bare bones: conversations on terror with stephen king
Deluxe edition limited to 1152 copies, "Presentation Copy" ("225" written in pencil at bottom corner of limitation page), with holographic plate on front cover, No dustjacket, as issued. This series of interviews was conducted from 1979 through 1987.

3) feast of fear: conversations with stephen king limited edition

4) reign of fear: fiction and film of stephen king
(shrink-wrapped)

5) startling mystery stories #6 & #12 -
"King's first two story sales appear in these". (Is this true?)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-28-2008, 12:03 AM
5) startling mystery stories #6 & #12 -
"King's first two story sales appear in these". (Is this true?)

Yes. First 2 professional sales. He received $35 for each story.

Ari_Racing
04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I wonder if you people could say (more or less), how much would a Blaze, Duma Key and From a Buick 8 Scribner ARCs go for (all the blue ones).

I have those three and I don't plan to sell them, at least not for now. But since the prices of several S/L are a lot cheaper than they used to be, I started to look for a Regulators S/L and maybe I won't have to pay a lot if I sell the ARCs first. But since I'm not really sure to do it, I'd like to know how much those ARCs would go for before start thinking more seriously about it.

THANKS!

jhanic
04-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Blaze: $350-400
Duma Key: $400-450
From a Buick 8: $100

If you can find a buyer. A lot of people aren't like me--they don't collect them.

John

Ari_Racing
04-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Thanks!
Those are the estimateds at ebay.com?

jhanic
04-03-2008, 06:48 AM
My estimates. Blaze and Duma Key seldom show up. (I've only seen Duma Key once or twice!)

John

shnnrc01
04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
i got my buick 8 arc about 2 weeks ago for $45.mint condition.

shnnrc01
04-03-2008, 11:55 AM
the last blaze sold about 4 weeks ago for $191.

jhanic
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
That was a good deal on the Blaze ARC. They're not real common.

John

Ari_Racing
04-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Okay....I'll probably start to post some stuff to sell...I'm going after a Regulators S/L. If I can't make it I'll go for a Skeleton Crew S/L :)

Ricky
04-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Not that I would EVER EVER sell it, I am just curious as to what my 1st edition of The Stand is worth that Mr. King signed for me on the 4th.

Randall Flagg
04-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I presume you mean the original The Stand published in 1978.
The book is worth (depending on condition) $250-$350 unsigned.
I would say King's current signature adds $100-$150 to the value. If it was signed and dated back in 1978 it would be worth more, particularly if inscribed back then.

Ricky
04-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Yeah, the original 1978 version. He didn't inscribe or date it - just his signature.

e_taylor
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM

$100-$125 if you are lucky.

I ended up getting $170 locally for it. Anyone interested in the slipcase? $25 shipped (within North America) - PM me.

Patrick
04-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Congrats, e. That's a great sales price.

namelessnpoor
04-11-2008, 09:12 AM
What is the opinion on The Colorado Kid S/L by PS? I have one each of the Author signed and slipcased versions, are these ever going to be worth more than their sale price? I was considering selling them and puting the money toward some other books i would like to have. Some books i would never sell, others i am indifferent about, and these i just don't seem to have any real attachment to.
What do you think i would get if i were to offer them up for sale?

Rusty

jhanic
04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I think it's too soon after their publication to have seen any real increase in value. The Colorado Kid is not one of King's most-liked works, so the interest in the s/l editions is more or less limited to collectors. As more and more collectors come on board, you MAY see some rise in value.

John

jon10g
04-17-2008, 03:24 AM
Does anyone have an idea of the value of the signed/limited of 999 which is signed by King?
Also, does anyone have any idea how many he has signed? When I got mine signed in London at the Lisey's Story signing he told me that he only signed 'a couple of them.'
Thanks
jon

wizardsrainbow
04-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Does anyone have an idea of the value of the signed/limited of 999 which is signed by King?
Also, does anyone have any idea how many he has signed? When I got mine signed in London at the Lisey's Story signing he told me that he only signed 'a couple of them.'
Thanks
jon

Hmmm, good question. Without King's sig the S/L book goes for $125-150. Yours is the first signed one that I have heard of, so there undoubtedly are not many out there.

Unfortunately, despite the "rarity" of your book, it is an anthology that noone really cares too much about. Thus I would say that your book might be worth $300 or so...just an educated guess. It's not like a sig on a Salem's Lot or Carrie that might add $600-$800 to the value of that book.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-17-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks
jon

Hmmm, good question. Without King's sig the S/L book goes for $125-150. Yours is the first signed one that I have heard of, so there undoubtedly are not many out there.

Unfortunately, despite the "rarity" of your book, it is an anthology that noone really cares too much about. Thus I would say that your book might be worth $300 or so...just an educated guess. It's not like a sig on a Salem's Lot or Carrie that might add $600-$800 to the value of that book.

I agree with Wiz. The signature on an anthology does not add much to its value unless its rare already. There are 500 S/L of 999 so its not very rare.

I saw someone getting the 999 S/L signed at Borders in London. It may have been you.

Incidently I paid $300 for my S/L book.

EXPLORER
04-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks
jon

I know of two people who had their limited editon 999 signed by Sai King.
I have wanted to do the same........and then get Joyce Carol Oates to sign it also. I missed her (stupidly) by a day when she was on Sanibel Island recently.
When discussing the JCO signing with a major King seller in Tampa, he mentioned getting a Ltd 999 signed by King and putting what he considered a high price on it as he really wanted to keep. However as soon as he posted it for sale....it sold and I beleive he said it went for over $1000. ( $1100 , if I remember correctly)
BOTTOM LINE........any book is worth what someone is willing to pay at the time.

jon10g
04-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the information.

Ari_Racing
04-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Hello.

How much do you think these arc cost:

Lisey's Story UK (Not slipcased)
Duma Key

Best!

Hutch
04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Hello.

How much do you think these arc cost:

Lisey's Story UK (Not slipcased)
Duma Key

Best!

They cost is nothing. They are given away for free from the publisher to reviewers and such. However their worth to a collector is a bit more than nothing. IMO I would say the UK Lisey's Story without the slipcase may be worth between $75 and $125 . If it's the US Duma Key it may be in the $350 to $500 range.

Ari_Racing
04-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Duma Key UK?

jhanic
04-19-2008, 02:07 PM
UK Duma Key is numbered up to 150, but it seems a lot scarcer than the numbered UK Lisey's Story. I'd say in the $400-$600 range.

John

Ari_Racing
04-19-2008, 07:29 PM
hmm.

Okay :)

Thanks!

jon10g
04-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Can anyone help me please. I am valuing my collection for insurance purposes and am having difficulty valuing my proof collection. I own the following:
US proofs
Everythings eventual
From a Buick 8
Geralds Game ABA slipcased
Rose Madder
Lisey's Story
On Writing

UK Proofs
Dolores Claiborne
Black House
Dark Tower V Wolves of the Calla
Dark Tower VI Song of Susannah
Bag of Bones Holographic with slipcase
Dark Half
Geralds Game
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Hearts In Atlantis Royal blue
Dreamcatcher
Colorado Kid
Dandelion Wine

Finally, I have an almost complete collection of UK 1st editions in hardback in mint condition (from Cujo/ Firestarter onwards) and am wondering how much they are worth.

Many thanks
Jon

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Can anyone help me please. I am valuing my collection for insurance purposes and am having difficulty valuing my proof collection. I own the following:

Finally, I have an almost complete collection of UK 1st editions in hardback in mint condition (from Cujo/ Firestarter onwards) and am wondering how much they are worth.

Many thanks
Jon

Jon. I am guessing that you are from the UK. All UK bog standard contents insurance policies cover individual items up to £1500 without listing each item. None of your proofs or 1st are worth £1500, so I would not even bother taking out seperate cover for them. The insurance company will pay out what you claim for anything below that figure.

Most UK 1st edition hardbacks are only worth £5 to £10 each. The ones with any worth are all before Cujo. You can see most of them on eBay.co.uk for a starting price of £0.99.

I cannot value the proofs for you, as I'm not interested in them, but jhanic will help you with them.

I did have a Hearts In Atlantis Royal blue proof and it tooks me weeks to sell it. It eventually sold for £9.

jon10g
04-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Thanks for that.

jhanic
04-27-2008, 09:43 AM
US proofs
Everythings eventual $100
From a Buick 8 $100
Geralds Game ABA slipcased $100
Rose Madder $25
Lisey's Story $25
On Writing $50

UK Proofs
Dolores Claiborne $100
Black House $100
Dark Tower V Wolves of the Calla $150
Dark Tower VI Song of Susannah $150
Bag of Bones Holographic with slipcase $100
Dark Half $75
Geralds Game $100
Nightmares and Dreamscapes $150
Hearts In Atlantis Royal blue $100
Dreamcatcher $150
Colorado Kid $150
Dandelion Wine $100

Those are just my estimates. The market for these proofs is just not that great.

John

jon10g
04-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Thank you. That is very helpful.
Jon

herbertwest
05-06-2008, 12:30 AM
any idea of where that cover is from?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4340/8a411jn2.th.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8a411jn2.jpg)

e_taylor
05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Wondering the approximate value of:

SGN/LTD Set - Talisman & Black House w/ matching numbers?
SGN/LTD - Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands (not a sub-500 #)

Randall Flagg
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Wondering the approximate value of:

SGN/LTD Set - Talisman & Black House w/ matching numbers?
SGN/LTD - Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands (not a sub-500 #)

In a super soft market I would say:

S/L DTIII <$1,000
As far as the Talisman and the Blackhouse (I presume you mean each is a S/L-they also have matching #'s), unless someone needs the specific number there is little added value that they both match. The odds of a collector needing both books-unless at bargain prices are small. Thus it's just the price of each book. I really don't think you could gain a 10%-20% added price because they match.
Talisman S/L (1/1,200)-$600-$650
Blackhouse S/L (1/1,500) $300-$350

tippy4
05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I have a matching Talisman and Black House...anyone looking to buy one?

jhanic
05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I bought my DT III a couple years ago for a little over $600. I think, given the way the market is today, about $800 would be good.

I have absolutely no idea on the matching numbers of Talisman and Black House, except that I agree that finding the one person to whom that number might mean something would be very, very difficult. I'd agree with Jerome's estimates on those values.

John

e_taylor
05-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I bought my DT III a couple years ago for a little over $600. I think, given the way the market is today, about $800 would be good.

I got mine recently for $380 - so I must have done very well.

e_taylor
05-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Hmmm... what # and whats your price?

tippy4
05-14-2008, 07:18 PM

Yes, you did well. I assume this is the one you bought?

Stephen King Dark Tower 3 The Wastelands (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230249165270)

I considered bidding on this one, but that was too much to risk on a seller with zero feedback history.

I have no doubt it would have sold for 25%-40% more if the seller had a more desireable reputation.

tippy4
05-14-2008, 07:20 PM

Hmmm... what # and what's your price?

#1051.

I would go $925 plus shipping for the two.

Both are unread and in fine condition.

I would assume that when the S/L of the third installment in the series comes out (and King has said that there will be a third installment), you would be able to buy it direct from Grant Books and match up your number.

e_taylor
05-15-2008, 04:34 AM

Stephen King Dark Tower 3 The Wastelands (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230249165270)

I considered bidding on this one, but that was too much to risk on a seller with zero feedback history.

I have no doubt it would have sold for 25%-40% more if the seller had a more desireable reputation.

Yah, I have no doubt about that. I felt that I bid about half of what I'd normally be willing to pay (so I guess my estimate of $800 wasn't too far off), and figured worst case scenario, I have to file with PayPal and wait a month to get my money back. In the end though, the seller ended up being great -- he called me at home to let me know when it had been shipped, and packed the book very well.

e_taylor
05-15-2008, 04:37 AM

Hmmm... what # and what's your price?

#1051.

I would go $925 plus shipping for the two.

Both are unread and in fine condition.

I would assume that when the S/L of the third installment in the series comes out (and King has said that there will be a third installment), you would be able to buy it direct from Grant Books and match up your number.

Based on other sets available, I like your price - but not the #... thanks anyways!

tippy4
05-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Yah, I have no doubt about that. I felt that I bid about half of what I'd normally be willing to pay (so I guess my estimate of $800 wasn't too far off), and figured worst case scenario, I have to file with PayPal and wait a month to get my money back. In the end though, the seller ended up being great -- he called me at home to let me know when it had been shipped, and packed the book very well.

It is a good thing that the seller came through...because had he ripped you off, I doubt Paypal would have done anything because the seller's eBay feedback rating was less than 50.

Disputes between Buyers and Sellers - Buyer Protection Programs (http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside#pbp-policy)

Scroll down to section 13.9 eBay Items Eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

jhanic
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I didn't know this, tippy! I've never really paid THAT much attention to the seller's number of feedbacks. I sure will now. Of course, you can always challenge it through your credit card. That just makes more hassle, but it can be worth it!

John

carlosdetweiller
05-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I didn't know this, tippy! I've never really paid THAT much attention to the seller's number of feedbacks. I sure will now. Of course, you can always challenge it through your credit card. That just makes more hassle, but it can be worth it!

John

I've actually found that disputing through my credit card is less hassle than going through eBay/PayPal. One phone call to my credit card and I get immediate credit for the charge and they handle the disputed charge. I've never had a dispute denied.

Long ago when I tried a couple of times to dispute through eBay I was hit with a $25 deductible, had to submit several online forms, supply additional info, etc. And didn't get a refund for about 60 days. And still I lost money with the $25 deductible.

I've currently got a complaint (about $23 total) pending with PayPal so I'm waiting to see how that goes. The seller has until 5/18 to reply and I don't think he will so I should get a refund. This is my first time going through PayPal.

oy-the-brave
05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I have never had any luck with a paypal refund, I have always managed to let the seller string me along (believing they will follow thru with their promises) and then before I know it 45 days have passed and paypal informs me sorry but I have taken to long to file a complaint.

So from now on I have no sympathy for a sellers excuses.

I did just help my Mom file a complaint and she did get a refund.

Randall Flagg
05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
The bottom line-as Bob said is; It's best to charge it via Paypal and one call to your Credit Card company essentially ends the dispute.
I have received a Paypal "refund" before, but it was a terrible hassle and as I recall per their "small print" there was either a dedicible, or cap and I didn't receive a 100% refund.
I have disputed 3 or 4 via my credit card comapny and ALWAYS prevailed with a 100% refund and little hassle.

Ricky
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
How much would a fine/fine 1st edition of The Shining be worth? I'm looking into buying a reasonably priced copy but I'm not going throw away $400 if it's not worth what I'm paying for?

Thoughts?

jhanic
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I'd say if it's fine/fine, with all the proper first edition points (gutter code, etc.), $400 is not out of range.

John

Ricky
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Alright, that's good. So paying $400 wouldn't be too out there? I found some SK S/L's out there for the same price of the 1st Shining and didn't know if it would be best to just go for a signed item.

jhanic
08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
That's up to you.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
You would be doing well to get a fine/fine copy for $400.

Hutch
08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
You would be doing well to get a fine/fine copy for $400.

I agree. Truly fine copies are difficult to find. There is usually some degree of spine fade to the dust jacket. The colors on the spine should perfectly match the colors on the front cover. The dust jacket is also prone to some creasing at the spine ends.

gsvec
08-05-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a signed copy of Moth I bought from a very reputable SK collector years ago. ;) There's a light stain (wiped off coffee?) on the cover, but otherwise it's in great shape. Any thoughts on what it might be worth today? Here's a scan of the sig page:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/D%20-%20In%20Collections/Moth_Sig_Small.jpg

And one of the cover showing the stain:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/D%20-%20In%20Collections/Moth_Small.jpg

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I have a signed copy of Moth I bought from a very reputable SK collector years ago. ;) There's a light stain (wiped off coffee?) on the cover, but otherwise it's in great shape. Any thoughts on what it might be worth today?

i thinking that if the book did not have the stain - with the signature it probably sell fast at 500.00
there are several unsigned listed on ABE in near fine condition between 400.00 and 750.00+ - but none of them are selling at those prices.

the stain, drops the condition and the value of course. i would think, listed properly (condition = good) on ebay and given the right moment/ set of bidders - you might get 350.00 to 375.00- maybe more if someone really was panting to get early king with signature.
of course if the sig. was also dated early (ie.near publication date), that would probably have boosted the value also.

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
oooops,double post

CRinVA
08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
That coffee stain really devalues that magazine big time!

It's probably not worth much more than $25, but being as I am such a kind hearted soul, I'd give you $50 to take it off your hands!

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited: :excited::excited:

Ricky
08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I'll give you $51.

gsvec
08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
OOOO - a bidding war!

I'm not actually looking to sell it - just curious what it might be worth since I've never come accross one signed. Sorry, guys!

gsvec
08-26-2008, 06:00 PM
What's the ballpark value of a UK S/L DTIV these days? Near fine due to a small bump on the upper right corner of the slipcase opening. #295/500 signed on that irritating bookplate. Thanks in advance!!

Fsmdr
08-26-2008, 09:11 PM
What's the ballpark value of a UK S/L DTIV these days? Near fine due to a small bump on the upper right corner of the slipcase opening. #295/500 signed on that irritating bookplate. Thanks in advance!!

The collector has it listed as $375 - $475 which I think is quite fair, IMO.

jhanic
08-27-2008, 04:16 AM
I paid $306 (including shipping) for mine a few years ago, so I think a $375-$475 price range okay too.

John

wizardsrainbow
08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
What does anyone think would be a fair asking price for the following as a "package deal":

DT IV Grant Proof (perfect in shrinkwrap; no art or letter just the book)
DT V Grant Proof - Fine
DT VI Grant Proof - Fine
DT VII Grant Proof - NF+ slight soiling on page edges

Matt
08-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice package!!

<waggle>

wizardsrainbow
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
I could also add:

DT II Plume proof - NF
DT III Plume Proof - NF

Do you think a package or selling individually would be more appealing?

natehorning
08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I would think only offering them as a package deal would limit the buyers. It would be priced way above the average collector and wouldn't appeal to people who only need/want one or two of the books. Just my opinion though.

Nate

Matt
08-28-2008, 01:21 PM
That would certainly let someone like me into the running but I understand moving them as a package makes sure that all sell if any.

But I agree with Nate, breaking them up does allow for a bit of variety as far as who can buy them

CRinVA
08-28-2008, 01:42 PM
You could definitely achieve a higher rate of return if you sold them separately and managed to sell them all!

You could also list them individually but somehow give the buyers the option to purchase more than one item at some sort of reduced rate. you knkow buy one for 100% - buy two for 90% of indiiv prices; three for 85% of indiv prices. Something along those lines!

That way you may even garner more bids as you attract botht he individual looking for one set piece and the collector looking to bulk buy a piece of a collection.

Scoogs
08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I couldn't even get a single bid at $200 for an DT IV ARC with artwork, so I would assume it would be a good amount less without.
Then again, some people get crazy over shrinkwrap. :orely:

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2008, 04:04 AM
I couldn't even get a single bid at $200 for an DT IV ARC with artwork, so I would assume it would be a good amount less without.
Then again, some people get crazy over shrinkwrap. :orely:

Scoogs...I've been watching your auctions and was indeed quite surprised by the lack of interest. What's wrong with people these days. :arg: I was wishing you better luck.

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2008, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the input. I like the package idea (it appeals to me anyway), but I know you are right in that I'd get a higher total if sold seperately.

My wheels are slowly getting in motion to sell a TON of books that are really extras for me or for which I have nicer copies that I intend to keep.

carlosdetweiller
08-29-2008, 07:08 AM
My wheels are slowly getting in motion to sell a TON of books that are really extras for me or for which I have nicer copies that I intend to keep.

I need to do that too. I've got so many extras. The problem is finding the time. Taking nice photos and listing the books properly on eBay is VERY time consuming.....at least it is for me. I always seem to find a reason to put it off for a few more weeks (months, years).

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2008, 07:10 AM

I need to do that too. I've got so many extras. The problem is finding the time. Taking nice photos and listing the books properly on eBay is VERY time consuming.....at least it is for me. I always seem to find a reason to put it off for a few more weeks (months, years).

EXACTLY!

Matt
08-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I would be on top of a lot of that you guys, its all affording it to me. But the kids are on their way out. :rock:

I don't have hard back copies of most of the books and I would love to flesh out my collection a bit. I guess I'm saying I hope we know here that they are up if it happens.

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2008, 07:24 AM
I would be on top of a lot of that you guys, its all affording it to me. But the kids are on their way out. :rock:

I don't have hard back copies of most of the books and I would love to flesh out my collection a bit. I guess I'm saying I hope we know here that they are up if it happens.

Matt-

I will likely list a bunch of more "common" books here on DTbay as their price points will be more appealing. Any "serious" stuff will likely go on eBay (I have NEVER sold there before) but I will be sure to give people here a heads up, in case they want to look them over. I hope to get some things organized over this long weekend, but you know how time goes...kids need something, wife needs something, regular chores to do, spur-of-the-moment going to the movies etc. You get the picture.

Patrick
08-29-2008, 08:08 AM
If you guys sell on dtBay, please remember to post in the thread to help get word out to people. Also add a line in your signature about it.

In fact, if I were an eBay seller, I'd put a link to my eBay page in my sig as well.

e_taylor
08-29-2008, 08:19 AM
David -

I'd love to see a list of what you're moving out!

shibus
08-29-2008, 08:53 AM
You know you busy guys could just consign your books to someone who has more time to spend listing books on ebay. I'm sure there's a few "respectable" sellers out there that would love to get there hands on some of your "extra" books. (And maybe your artwork) Just a Thought.........

carlosdetweiller
08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
You know you busy guys could just consign your books to someone who has more time to spend listing books on ebay. I'm sure there's a few "respectable" sellers out there that would love to get there hands on some of your "extra" books. (And maybe your artwork) Just a Thought.........

Been there, done that. Felt like I got ripped off. I'm older and wiser now.

Still, if you just can't find the time I guess it is a reasonable solution for some.

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Greg-

I thought about that, but some consigners take as much as 30%-50% of the price for themselves. I think I'll venture out on my own...I'm not in a rush

...and Eric, I need to go through my books and cull out those that I want to sell (i.e., make a list). I can almost say for certain that I will have 2 Prime Evil S/Ls (US), a S/L Desperation or two, a S/L Black House or two, various DT proofs/ARCs (you already got a W&G from me). Then I have my partial DT sets to sell eventually. I don't know, but I'm guessing I can easily come up with 30-50 books, if you count the DT sets seperately. No artwork for sale though.

Patrick
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
If you ever make that list, I look forward to seeing it as well.

shibus
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Been there, done that. Felt like I got ripped off. I'm older and wiser now.

Still, if you just can't find the time I guess it is a reasonable solution for some.

Greg-

I thought about that, but some consigners take as much as 30%-50% of the price for themselves. I think I'll venture out on my own...I'm not in a rush

Very true, But I happen to know someone that would be happy to do it for you guys for no more than 10%. Plus any of the associated fees (ebay, paypal, shipping, etc). Going to be an old retired Fireman pretty soon and his wife is going to want him to stay busy.

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow, thanks for the offer. I'll consider it.

Rahfa
08-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I know Betts does consignments...is he in the 30 to 50 percent range?

Ricky
08-29-2008, 03:49 PM
If you ever make that list, I look forward to seeing it as well.

^What he said. :)

I haven't got all of King's first editions yet especially some of the later ones (i.e. Hearts in Atlanits, On Writing, etc.). The problem isn't money, it's finding a reputable dealer who cares about your business. I can't say how many times certain dealers have refused to send me photos of a book that I may buy. If they don't have time for me, I guess I don't have time to buy their book. I know there are numerous reputable dealers on here so I look forward to seeing what everyone might be selling also.

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I know Betts does consignments...is he in the 30 to 50 percent range?

yer bugger (translation: yes)

Randall Flagg
08-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I haven't got all of King's first editions yet especially some of the later ones (i.e. Hearts in Atlanits, On Writing, etc.). The problem isn't money, it's finding a reputable dealer who cares about your business. I can't say how many times certain dealers have refused to send me photos of a book that I may buy. If they don't have time for me, I guess I don't have time to buy their book. I know there are numerous reputable dealers on here so I look forward to seeing what everyone might be selling also.
Ricky, welcome to the world of collecting. Outside of E-bay, most transactions for trade editions/ etc. are handled with a description of a book and its condition. Everyone has a dollar "threshehold" where they need information and pictues etc. The higher the price the more important the pictures and info.
I think most (sellers and buyers) here would agree that on books being presented for less than ~$100, most sellers (not E-bay) won't bother with single/multiple pictures of a book. A simple accurate description of the book sufffices. It takes far too much time to put all that together. We rely on a community and people here (Tippy, Shibus, Wizardsrainbow, Hutch) to mention a few but not all- who know that their reputation is more important than one single transaction.
People who are unscrupulous are quickly revealed.

Patrick
09-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Ricky, welcome to the world of collecting. Outside of E-bay, most transactions for trade editions/ etc. are handled with a description of a book and its condition. Everyone has a dollar "threshhold" where they need information and pictues etc. The higher the price the more important the pictures and info.
I think most (sellers and buyers) here would agree that on books being presented for less than ~$100, most sellers (not E-bay) won't bother with single/multiple pictures of a book. A simple accurate description of the book sufffices. It takes far too much time to put all that together. We rely on a community and people here (Tippy, Shibus, Wizardsrainbow, Hutch, to mention a few but not all) who know that their reputation is more important than one single transaction.
People who are unscrupulous are quickly revealed.
Yes, welcome, Ricky.

I agree with RF regarding the relatively less expensive collectible books. Go with someone you can trust, and if you want general info and photos of an edition that you are considering (a first edition, for example), don't forget to check out the Catalogs here in the Corner - they're a great reference source.

Ricky
09-01-2008, 06:04 AM
I agree with RF regarding the relatively less expensive collectible books. Go with someone you can trust, and if you want general info and photos of an edition that you are considering (a first edition, for example), don't forget to check out the Catalogs here in the Corner - they're a great reference source.

I know what they look like, I'm talking about photos of the actual photos of the book that I would be questioning. If anyone expects me to buy their book, I either want photos of said book or a guarantee promising a full refund including shipping if I'm displeased with the book.

I don't collect books to waste money on something that is not as described.