PDA

View Full Version : The Ranch

Jon
04-30-2016, 02:59 PM
I watched season one...the only one for now. (It was picked up for a second season.)

Masterson and Krucher seem to pick right up from That 70's Show (sans the "oregano" and "the circle" though Masterson's character, Rooster, keeps a bag of "kale" in the 'fridge and his mother, Debra Winger, seems to have a taste for the weed too.) The schadenfreude humor has clearly been carried over from Masterson and Kutcher's characters on That 70's Show.

Kutcher's past love, we might know as Jack Bauer's hot daughter....and The Girl Next Door, Elisha Cuthbert .Her acting has improved and she has put on weight to the point that I was unsure it was her. She does look better with a few pounds..IMHO.Sam Elliott; not a name synonymous with "sit. com. " He is a good actor but seemed a bit uncomfortable for the first several episodes. Later, the issue improved. I don't know if he got more comfortable or I got used to him in these situations. It is a bit odd to hear the F-word come out of his mouth in that slow draw. I do believe his slow draw speeds up to the pace of a Denver Broncos kicker in the '40 when he now uses that universal adjective.
Debra Winger is solid in this show but not outstanding. This is most always my opinion of her works, so take that statement to the salt block when you read it.

A highlight for me is"Mr. Bennett's"(Elliot) interaction with the local veterinarian, Dale, played by Barry Corbin. Two old coots, one nearly deaf but in denial (Corbin,) and the other, a stubborn hard ass. Both insulting one another like teenage boys in the locker room...I imagine the set even smells like a locker room. Each time Corbin comes to give medical care to the livestock, Bennett shouts him down on his prices..."I'll just let the fuckin' steer die rather than pay your old, deaf ass!" An insult Corbin never hears... or does he do it to frustrate the stubborn rancher?Many old classic "deaf" jokes done well by these two. But clearly oldies... be prepared. i.e. "Ya' got the time?"... "Sure, I'll loan you a dime."
The interaction between Elliot and his two boys, Colt (Kutcher) and Rooster (Masterson,) seems akin to the relationship with That 70's Show father, Red, with all the teens... but not the "dumb ass!! name calling. Despite this, the show touches on many deeper subject such as the hardship of the rancher, poverty, divorce, alcoholism ect.
This is a show well worth your time. I just hope they do not lean too much on gags and themes from That 70's Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbBe2n7YoOA

Bev Vincent
05-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Debra Winger is the best thing about the show. She plays it absolutely straight, never pausing for the laugh.

We watched the whole season, but never more than two episodes at a time, which was our tolerance level. It was okay, as sitcoms go, but not must-see TV for us.

Jon
05-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Perhaps "we" should immerse "weself" a bit more.