PDA

View Full Version : Starting my trip to NY, USA

Pages : [1] 2

Ari_Racing
01-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Hello my friends,

As many of you know, in July I'll be visiting New York, Washington DC, Bangor, Rhode Island, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Sadly I'll be spending very few days in Rhode Island, Maryland, Bangor and Pennsylvania, but I plan to spend 5 or 6 days in NY and 3 days in Washington.

The first plan is to travel with two friends. One is Asterisco (he posts here from time to time) and the other one didn't post but it's a member. It's not confirmed they'll be travelling (they have to get a visa and that isn't the easiest things to get. I'm visa waived since I have an italian passport (my father is italian, so I have italian nationality as well)).

Well... It's less than 6 months away and we're starting to make serious plans on what we'd like to do. And, besides all the places we'd like to visit in the previously mentioned states, we have the idea of spending 5 days in Orlando, FL, in Disneyworld.
Now...since NY and florida aren't only one block away, I wonder if anyone has an idea of how much a ticket from NY to Orlando may cost.

On the other hand, I'll be sharing our plans (or mine...until I see both my friends in the plane I won't be sure they're coming) here waiting to know all your suggestions, comments and ideas you might have. ALL IDEAS ARE VERY WELCOMED!!!

I know that this isn't the best place for this thread but I've been spending so much time here that I really consider you all my cyberfriends and I hope I can meet as many of you as I can. :)

Starting tomorrow I'll be writting my plans. :)

Thanks in advance and see you soon! (who knows..that might be true!) :)

Ari_Racing
01-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry. I put "NY" only in the topic. Can it be changed to "USA"?

Patrick
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Sorry. I put "NY" only in the topic. Can it be changed to "USA"?

Done.

Have fun planning your trip. I hope Asterisco and your other friend make it. :dance:

I'm West Coast, so it'll be interesting to hear the recommendations from our East Coast members. :)

ATG
01-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Travel safe.

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Keystone New York?

Ruthful
01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Very cool.

I have friends who travel that spend their entire time inside of JFK waiting for a connecting flight to somewhere else so it's good that you'll have some time to enjoy the City.

I don't travel to often, so I can't give you a precise number on what a flight from here to Orlando would cost, but according to Priceline a direct flight right now would fall somewhere in $290 to $400 range.

Anyway, if you want to final some haute cuisine for a relatively cheap price I suggest you check out Di Fara, which is the best pizzeria in the five borughs, IMO.

midnightrambler34
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Ari,
Jet Blue will be your best bet. If your just going for the airfare and you get a deal, its an average of $79-$110. give or take a few dollars. If you have the time you can consider driving, although that takes about 24 hours but its good way to see some of the states. Lots of luck with your trip, hope you have a great time. You'll love NY...a lot to see!

Carl.

http://jetblue.com/

herbertwest
01-28-2008, 04:21 AM
Hey i hope you'll get some really nice time!!!

CRinVA
01-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Ari - I just sent an email a few weeks ago to Rocky Wood - we all know who he is right!!

I gave him many links with things to do in the Washington, DC area - I live about 30 minutes form DC and would love to meet up at some point! Once you start to have a definite itinerary of when you will be where maybe we can make plans to meet!

And 2whatever flight costs you figure out now will most likely change by summertime! But there are deals to be had between NYC and Orlando!

Randall Flagg
01-28-2008, 06:42 AM
I would advise you that Orlando in July is VERY humid and hot. Unless you just have to visit Disneyland at that time, I wouldn't go there.
The average daily Max temperature is 91 degrees (F), 33 celsius, with an average humidity of 74%. You sweat all day, and can never dry off.

wizardsrainbow
01-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Ari-

You better stop by to say hello when you are in NYC!

Ari_Racing
01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the advices!! I've just took note of the flights company.

American Airlines tickets from Buenos Aires to New York, then on August 8th from NY to Orlando, and on August 12th from Orlando to Buenos Aires costs $1100. There are big chances I'll book that ticket.
I'll be going to Disneyworld in Orlando. I don't have any other plans.

The idea of going by car is pretty cool and I'd love to, but since I won't be having to many days, I better take advantage of the planes.

Wiz and Bob, OF COURSE I'll be stopping by to say Hi!! To both of you and all the ones that would like and live near or can make it in one of the places I'll be spending my time.

There aren't many things in Buenos Aires King related but if anyone wants something please PM and I'll try to get one and take it to USA.

CRinVA
01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I would advise you that Orlando in July is VERY humid and hot. Unless you just have to visit Disneyland at that time, I wouldn't go there.
The average daily Max temperature is 91 degrees (F), 33 celsius, with an average humidity of 74%. You sweat all day, and can never dry off.

And truthfully, I think it actually rains in Orlando every day at 4pm - you get wet and then 15 minutes later there is no evidence that it ever rained! :-)

Storyslinger
01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Hope you have fun Ari!:)

Ruthful
01-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Ari-

You better stop by to say hello when you are in NYC!

Dark Tower-themed kegger on the East Coast.

Save the date!

:rock:

Randall Flagg
01-28-2008, 12:34 PM
You should have had San Francisco on your travel plans.

carlosdetweiller
01-28-2008, 12:48 PM

And Amarillo, Texas. My basement is better than Disneyworld....for King fans, that is.

jhanic
01-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Ain't that the truth!! :rofl:

John

Randall Flagg
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM

And Amarillo, Texas. My basement is better than Disneyworld....for King fans, that is.
I would go there (if invited) before I went anywhere else in America.:excited:

jhanic
01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Nobody EVER goes to Cleveland. (Not that I blame them much!)

John

namelessnpoor
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Ari,
I live in Maryland, down near Annapolis, if your close by sometime maybe we can work something out. Hope you have a great trip, should be a lot of fun !!

Rusty

carlosdetweiller
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM

I would hope that if any of you that I have "met" ever find yourselves in or near Amarillo that you would give me a call and stop by. I give a mean tour of the basement and Amarillo in general.

George Beahm is supposed to be coming to Amarillo to photograph a lot of items for his revised SK Collectibles book (but the date keeps getting pushed back). Jerad Walters of Centipede Press is doing a book on "Artists Inspired by SK" or something like that and is coming this summer to scan some of the artwork that I have.

Ari_Racing
01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Jerome and Bob, believe me...I'd love to stop by to say hi to both!
I've just looked at the map and sadly it's too far from my initial schedule :(

Rusty...I'll be very near your place! I definitely would like to meet you.

Ari_Racing
01-28-2008, 05:13 PM
John...I've just realized Cleveland isn't too far (at least in the map) from my plans! Maybe I can stop by! Can't promise anything but I'll surelly try!

jhanic
01-28-2008, 05:37 PM
I'll PM you my phone number, etc. when you decide!

John

midnightrambler34
01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Nobody EVER goes to Cleveland. (Not that I blame them much!)

John

No, No..I've been to Cleveland. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was the best. :clap:

Nerak
01-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Ari, if you are driving from NY to Bangor...I am hoping that you can make a pit stop at Grant! Would love to meet you in person! If only for a moment!!

Ari_Racing
01-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Karen, of course I'll stop by! :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be renting a car to go to Bangor.

wizardsrainbow
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM

I would hope that if any of you that I have "met" ever find yourselves in or near Amarillo that you would give me a call and stop by. I give a mean tour of the basement and Amarillo in general.

George Beahm is supposed to be coming to Amarillo to photograph a lot of items for his revised SK Collectibles book (but the date keeps getting pushed back). Jerad Walters of Centipede Press is doing a book on "Artists Inspired by SK" or something like that and is coming this summer to scan some of the artwork that I have.

Bob-
I sent you a PM a couple days ago regarding your basement set-up. Did you get it?

carlosdetweiller
01-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Bob-
I sent you a PM a couple days ago regarding your basement set-up. Did you get it?

David,
No, I didn't. I just rechecked and there is nothing from you in my PM box.

Please send again or directly e-mail me at aplus5@suddenlink.net

Nerak
01-29-2008, 10:41 AM

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

CRinVA
01-29-2008, 12:21 PM

If my math is correct according to your little chart at the bottom of your signature you may be very :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: for other reasons at about the time Ari passes through your little part of New England! :cool:

Nerak
01-30-2008, 06:53 AM

If my math is correct according to your little chart at the bottom of your signature you may be very :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: for other reasons at about the time Ari passes through your little part of New England! :cool:

Very true, Bob, but I will still make time to see my foreign friend!!!

Scoogs
01-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Congrats Karen!

Ari, sounds like a fun trip! Too bad you guys aren't swinging by Wisconsin this time around.

Sir_Boomme
02-01-2008, 04:15 AM
hey ari...
i think you should go see bob's basement... then swing by austin and i'll take ya out on the town...
note that bob's basement IS the highlight of Amarillo... but the Austin night life is the best. could even treat you to a trip around the lakes in my ski boat.

of course... after seeing bob's collection... my collection would pale in comparison.

Bob.... count on me to one day to pass through your little town and say ola'.

Ari_Racing
02-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Scoogs...there's a chance I might visit Wisconsin!! (Brookfield and Milwaukee)
I'll keep you updated. :)

CRinVA
02-01-2008, 06:52 AM

Ah yes the Wisconsin Connection! I seem to recall sending you something but mailing it to Wisconsin instead of Brazil!

Ari_Racing
02-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Actually I live in Argentina :)

CRinVA
02-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Actually I live in Argentina :)

I new that! Just wanted to see if you were paying attention! :excited:

Ruthful
02-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Have you ever watched The Science of Sleep with Gael Garcia Bernal?

The Pampas is in Argentina, you idiot!

:P

Scoogs
02-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Cool! I'm on the state line, so I'm only about 30 miles +/- from Milwaukee.

herbertwest
02-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I dont remember : will you go far away from Maine?

Ari_Racing
02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll visit Bangor, Maine! :)

Well...I'm currently talking with my two friends that maybe will join me in my trip. One thing is sure: No Orlando this time. Too much money that I preffer to spend meeting some of you if I can :)

The truth is that I can't plan too much until I know if my friends are coming or not. Why? Because, for example, if they come we'd rent a car, and that will allow us to visit several places I'm really interested (such as Philladelphia, for example). If I go alone I won't be able to afford renting a car, so I'll travel by train and bus.

Randall Flagg
02-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Now if you came to San Francisco, I would loan you a car.:thumbsup:

herbertwest
02-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I'll visit Bangor, Maine! :)

Well...I'm currently talking with my two friends that maybe will join me in my trip. One thing is sure: No Orlando this time. Too much money that I preffer to spend meeting some of you if I can :)

The truth is that I can't plan too much until I know if my friends are coming or not. Why? Because, for example, if they come we'd rent a car, and that will allow us to visit several places I'm really interested (such as Philladelphia, for example). If I go alone I won't be able to afford renting a car, so I'll travel by train and bus.

Guess you have no time (or your friends arent interested) to go by the Foggler library?

Ari_Racing
02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I would love to. I'm positive I'll be able to

Ari_Racing
02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Terry and Jerome, I'd love to stop by and meet both of you (and all the people in this forum, of course!!!) but I've been checking flights and it'd be really expensive for me make such a trip. I really can't afford it. If I manage to save enough before July I promise I'll visit both! :)

Today my friends confirmed both will come with me (unless they don't get their visas). We'll flight from Buenos Aires to NY on July 24th and we'll return from NY to Bs AS on August 13th. We'll probably rent a car (one with small motor, so it won't spend too much) for 8, 9 or 10 days. The idea is to use it to visit Washington, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Maryland and Maine (not all confirmed, we might visit more states if we can).
I wonder if someone could tell me how much does a lt of gasoline cost. We won't use the car to visit NY. We'll be using the subway and buses.
I've been checking with some friends that already visited NY and all told me that we better sleep in New Jersey, since it's a lot cheaper than NY. Does anyone know how much would it cost a room for 3 in New Jersey (and if anyone knows a good and (if possible) cheap please, I really appreciate it).
Well...in the next couple of days I'll be making the firsts plans for each city and days.
As usual, any advice, comment and suggestion is VERY WELCOMED! :)

Ari_Racing
02-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Another thing: one of my friends is a ice-hockey fan, and he really would love to attend to a game. How much does the tickets cost? Please be aware that the match should take place in one of the places I mentioned in my previous post. :D (the cheaper ones!! don't forget that our currency is 3.17 pesos = 1 dollar (7 years ago we used to have 1 peso = 1 dollar....good times to travel, bad times for our economy :( )

Ruthful
02-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't know how much tickets to an NHL game would cost. It might be in the same range as tickets to an NBA game, e.g. 70-100 for reasonably good seats, although it might be lower. All I can tell you is that if you go to see a New Jersey Devils game at The Prudential Center make sure that you're aware of our surroundings, because Newark is a hell-hole, notwithstanding the glitzy tourist bs Corey Booker and its shills try to snow you with.

Patrick
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
On the rare chance that you visit Jerome, you can count on the fact that I'll be there too. :dance:

namelessnpoor
02-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Hey Ari !!
Here in Maryland gas prices are anywhere from $2.90 to $3.50 per gallon. It can get pricey to do a lot of driving. As far as Hockey tickets, i belive that the Hockey season ends in April, so i don't think there will be any games to see, but tickets for a Washington Capitals game do run about $100 or so for good seats, i am sure there are cheaper ones though.

I live right outside Annapolis, and only about 30 miles from washington dc, give me a call if you think you will be near me anytime. Been talking to you on here for a few years now, it would be nice to meet you !
I'll PM you my number.

CRinVA
02-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Ari,

Gas prices in Virginia currently running $2.80 - $3.20 per gallon (not litre). I'd rent an economy car if I were you - all you need is something to get you from point a to point b. Go online and check out the rental agencies and see what types of vehicles they have in compact and sub-compact and then google the specific type cars to get an idea of gas mileage. I'd guess you could rent a car that gets 25 miles per gallon or better and that would help you budget out your dollars better!

You can get tickets to a Hockey game in Washington, DC for anywares ffrom $30 and up. Obviously, the lower you pay the worse (way up in the nosebleed section and probably on the end/corner) the seat! I do not think there will be any games though when you are here! You'll be in the middle of Baseball Season!

Another alternative to lodging in New York City are the Youth Hostels - they provide a clean cheap place to sleep. My daughter has used one in the past with her Girl Scout Troop and my other daughter will be staying in a hostel this May with a group of college kids as they take an honors course called The New uyork Experience. Just google "youth hostel" and "new york city" to find information. Try THIS WEBSITE (http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html?source=googleadwordshostelscom)

Bob

Ari_Racing
02-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Excellent info, Bob! Thanks!!! I'm checking that right now!
:)

Ari_Racing
02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I HAVE THE TICKET!!!! :)

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Will you bring ba ck a rose if you find it in an abandoned alley?

Brice
02-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Will you bring ba ck a rose if you find it in an abandoned alley?

:o No...don't pick the rose. :cry:

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:34 AM
But we can replant it the backyard of someone who will protect it!!! :D

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Alright...I have some more doubts and any advice and/or comment would be very helpful.

I've been searching to rent a private room for 3 in NY and in the best place I found the room costs $57 per night per person. It's "Hotel 31", located in 120 East 31th st. Does anyone knows it? I don't know if it includes taxes.

Now...I've been checking hostels and hotels with private rooms in New Jersey and there the prices are a lot lower than in NY, but I have a big issue..I don't know which cities have the subway/train that goes to NY near. For example...I found a great hotel in Absecon which costs 30 dollars per night and the place looks awesome, but I don't know if Absecon is near the train/subway that gets us to NY.

Could someone put here which are the NJ areas that have an easy access to NY by train or subway?

THANKS!!

Ruthful
03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
We have hostels here?

Ruthful
03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
To answer your last question, the easiest way to get here-well, to get to Manhattan-from New Jersey is taking the Path from Jersey City. It takes around ten minutes for you to get to midtown from there. Newark is within spitting distance, figuratively speaking.

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks! Is there a subway or a train from Jersey City to NY?

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 07:28 PM
What do you think about this one:
http://espana.hotels.com/pageDetails.do?viewTab=photos&destinationId=6AE2CF5A-6EA0-4769-BEC1-16E1D99EC98B&hotelId=223129&arrivalDate=24/07/2008&departureDate=31/07/2008&numberOfRooms=1&adultsPerRoom=3&childrenPerRoom=0

Ruthful
03-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks! Is there a subway or a train from Jersey City to NY?

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/connector.html

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/faq.html

Ari_Racing
05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Hello People,

Back on this again :)

Do you know which stores are the best in NY, NJ or DC to buy electronic stuff? I plan to purchase a PS3.

Thanks!

CRinVA
05-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Hello People,

Back on this again :)

Do you know which stores are the best in NY, NJ or DC to buy electronic stuff? I plan to purchase a PS3.

Thanks!

Actually I think the price in NY/NJ would be higher than in the DC area. I'd shop Best Buy in the DC Metro area, but outside the district on the Virginia side! Just looked - the PS3 (40GB) is currently $399 USD at Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=ps3&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960)!

By the way, the gas prices I quoted to you on Feb 18th (in this thread) are about $1 too low right now! Which pretty much sux big big! :pullhair:

The Lady of Shadows
05-21-2008, 05:05 AM
okay, this is a really stupid question but can you rent a car in the us? i have a friend from canada and he wasn't allowed to rent a car here. something about not having a driver's license that was valid in the united states and the different driving laws. have you thought about that?

Ari_Racing
05-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Hello!
Thanks Bob! :) I saw the same price for the PS3 of 40Gb, so it's a good price. I'll try to get the 60GB one actually, but if I can't I'll go for that one.

I dealt with ALAMO (rent-a-car) directly and my licence allows me to drive in USA. It's international. But thank you for your concern! :)

The Lady of Shadows
05-21-2008, 06:53 AM
cool. i always wondered about that. stupid of my friend not to have one of those (seeing as how canada is right upstairs - relatively speaking)

Matt
05-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Any way I could save some international shipping and send you the AE of DTVII that you won while you are here?

Nerak
05-21-2008, 07:34 AM
OOOO, wanna send it to me and I will hold onto it for him??? Great way to guarantee that he'll come see me! LOL

Ari_Racing
05-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Actually I think that's a good idea, since I won't have a physical address in USA (I'll stay in a hotel for 7 days and then spend the rest in different hotels everytime). :)
Or you can tell me the difference in the shipping and I'll afford it.

Let me know! :)

Anyway, Karen, I promised to stop by and meet you :)

Matt
05-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't mind sending it international at all Ari, I just wanted to make sure you would get it.

If you are going to see Karen for sure, that would make it nice and easy though.

Nerak
05-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Actually I think that's a good idea, since I won't have a physical address in USA (I'll stay in a hotel for 7 days and then spend the rest in different hotels everytime). :)
Or you can tell me the difference in the shipping and I'll afford it.

Let me know! :)

Anyway, Karen, I promised to stop by and meet you :)

*squee*

Ari_Racing
06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
ONLY A MONTH LEFT!!!! The countdown starts today! :)

Both my friends got their visas! So the final schedule is:

24 of july - 31 of July: New York (Sleeping in Jersey City, NJ, visitng New York everyday)
31 of July - 1st of August: Springfield (Massachussets)-Providence-Boston.
1st of August - 2nd of August: Leaving early in the morning to Bangor, Maine.
2nd of August - 4th of August: Leaving from Bangor to Niagara Falls.
4th of August - 5th of August: Niagara Falls to Washington DC. It'd be great if we could go near the Apalachian mountains. (Any suggestion here which route should I take?)
5th of August - 7 of August: Washington DC
7th of August - 8 of August: Maryland
8th of August - 9th of August: Philladelphia
9th of August - 10th of August: Atlantic City
10th of August - 13th of August: New Jersey/New York (end of the trip).

I already rented the car in ALAMO (from July 13th to August 10th).
Now I have these office to pick it up. In order to avoid too much traffic (or at least to avoid the most), which of these offices should I pick to be in Springfield (MS) as soon as possible.

# Manhattan - E. 12th Street (NYCC75)
# Manhattan - E. 31st Street (NYCC76)
# Manhattan - E. 50th Street (NYCC77)
# Manhattan - E. 80th Street (NYCC73)
# Manhattan - W. 40th Street (NYCC71)
# Manhattan - W. 77th Street (NYCC78)

Considering we'll be taking the PATH in NJ with all the lugagge, how much time it'd take us from the moment we left the PATH and take the subway (whichever is going to take us to the office) until we arrive to the most convenient office?

Well, any suggestion is very welcomed! :)

Ricky
06-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey Ari, glad you're so pumped about your trip! You're definitely going to have a great time. In regard to your last comment, have you tried using www.mapquest.com? It's quite helpful in terms of directions and estimated distances and times.

Ari_Racing
06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
:) I've been using that website to see the time it takes from one place to the other. Awesome website! :)
Thanks!

But I couldn't find the best NY location :(

Ari_Racing
06-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Done! :)
I found the best ALAMO office. :)

Now...using Mapquest, from Niagara falls to Washinton I see this:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Niagara+Falls&1s=NY&2c=Washington&2s=DC

But in order to travel through the apalachian mountains, which route should I take?

e_taylor
06-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Done! :)
I found the best ALAMO office. :)

Now...using Mapquest, from Niagara falls to Washinton I see this:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Niagara+Falls&1s=NY&2c=Washington&2s=DC

But in order to travel through the apalachian mountains, which route should I take?

If you're already going to be in Niagara Falls, you should hop over to the Canadian side! Its got a better view of the falls and casinos!!

jhanic
06-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Because Ari is not a US or Canadian citizen, going over to the Canadian side might be difficult. Anyone have any ideas?

John

Ricky
06-25-2008, 06:39 AM

Duh, use an Anti-Gravity machine! :rock:

Ari_Racing
06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
I can enter canada since I have the italian passport, but my friends can't. they have to get a visa.

there's no route near the apalachian?

CRinVA
06-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Ari, according to Mapquest, its ~405 miels from Niagara Falls to Washington, DC. you will hit a very little bit of the Appalachian Mtns, but not much.

If you mapquest Niagara Falls to Erie, PA to Morgantown,WV to Washington,DC you will definitely drive throught he Appalachian Mnts. But this trip is ~520 miles.

Are you staying in DC or in the suburbs? I live about 30 - 45 minutes south of DC.

Ari_Racing
07-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Well people, the final countdown started. I'm only 3 days away from my trip.

With the ones I arranged, I hope to see you soon! :)

Any last-minute-advice? The final schedule is:

July 24-31th: New York
July 31th: Travel accross CT, arriving Springfield (MS), then visiting Providence (Rhode Island), and then heading to Boston.
August 1st: going to Bangor, Maine.
Then back to Maryland, and the rest of the days going up from Maryland to Washington DC, Atlantic city, Philadelphia, Baltimore and New Jersey.

On August 2nd the idea is to travel near the cost and stop at 3 or 4pm in a beach and spend the day there. Any suggestions? (We'll be heading from Bangor to Maryland, so the idea is to split that trip in 2 days, stopping in a beach).

Places (phisical) to purchase electronic stuff? I'm planning to buy an Xbox 360 and a Projector.

Any advice is very welcomed!
THANKS!
Ari

herbertwest
07-21-2008, 05:53 AM
what about bringing back the projector on the plane? will it be alright? have u checked?

that sounds pretty awsome! hope u'll have some good time!

the only part i didnt get : how long will u spend in Maine? from what i read some sort of hours...?

Nerak
07-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Are you stopping on the way down from Maine, somewhere anywhere?? Cause Hampton Beach in New Hampshire is famous! LOL And easily accessible from route 95

Can't wait to meet you next Friday!! Damn, gotta find all the books that were sent to you! HE HE OOPSIE!!

Ari_Racing
07-21-2008, 09:16 AM
LOL! :)
Actually Karen I think we meet on friday 1st, not the next! :)

gsvec
07-21-2008, 12:32 PM
You're taking an extra suitcase for all the stuff you'll be buying at Betts, too, right? :D Wish I was still living in NJ so I could finally meet you!!

Ari_Racing
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
LOL. I don't know if I'll buy a lot at Betts. :) We'll see.

Too bad we can't meet :(

I'm so fu*king nervous and anxious I barely sleep since last friday.

Randall Flagg
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Places (phisical) to purchase electronic stuff? I'm planning to buy an Xbox 360 and a Projector.

Any advice is very welcomed!
THANKS!
Ari

If any of the people you are meeting are Costco members, I suggest Costco (http://www.costco.com/).

Ari_Racing
07-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know. :S Anyone?

How do one become a member?

On the other hand, I've just seen that there are visits to the White House (I thought they were cancelled). Here I saw that tickets have to be picked up from the third tuesday in march to Labor Day (which, if I'm not wrong, is on May 1st).
Is this correct or the info in this website is not updated:
http://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/Tours/visitors_center.html

Thanks!

Ruthful
07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
How do you become a member?

You have to apply for a card. They'll shoot your photo, then you'll pay a fee for a year-long membership. My card is probably hopelessly out of date by now, but it doesn't really matter since the one in my borugh is in the ass-end of Sunset Park, which takes an hour to get to.

Here's a list of locations nationwide:

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Location.aspx

and in NY:

http://www.priceviewer.com/costco_locations/New%20York.html

Patrick
07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Looking forward to seeing a photo of Karen and Ari when he visits. :)

herbertwest
07-23-2008, 02:47 AM
have a good time buddy :-)

wizardsrainbow
07-23-2008, 02:48 AM

What about me and Ari? :excited:Probably next Friday.

wizardsrainbow
07-23-2008, 02:52 AM
Ari-

Am sorry my collection was recently moved to my home in CT. Is there anything you'd really like to see that I could bring to the office for the day?

herbertwest
07-23-2008, 02:57 AM
your house?
:lol:

turtlex
07-23-2008, 04:58 AM
Ari - have a great time. Does your rental car have XM or Sirrus radio? I drive PA to Boston all the time and CT ( RT 95 ) is a place I call "The Land Of Crappy Radio" !!!

DC is a great time and all the Smithsonian's are free. Not much happens in DC after dark though - the town sort of rolls up the sidewalks! Usually I get exhausted from running around all day and hit the rack early.

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier - I live in PA, grew up in MA, and love to road trip around. Have been to NYC many times, and DC more than I can count. I'm headed to Bar Harbor Maine for my summer trip again this year, and will likely visit Betts Books for the first time - so leave me some DT books to drool over !!

Safe travels!

CRinVA
07-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Georgetown section of DC hops at night! :-)

wizardsrainbow
07-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Ari - have a great time. Does your rental car have XM or Sirrus radio? I drive PA to Boston all the time and CT ( RT 95 ) is a place I call "The Land Of Crappy Radio" !!!

LOL! As one from Fairfield CT. I can confirm that comment!

Ari_Racing
07-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Hello!

Thanks Turtlex! Don't worry that I won't buy much stuff in Betts...I don't have too much money.
David, I don't know. :)
I'd love to see any of these:
- The eyes of the dragon S/L
- Christine S/L
- Firestarter S/L
- Skeleton Crew S/L.

If you can't it's okay!! :) Thanks for the offer anyway!

Only a few hours away! :)

alinda
07-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Safe travels to you Ari. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun & adventure!
I assume you'll take lots of photographs to share as well? :)

Ari_Racing
07-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Of course! :) Thanks Alinda!

One more question. When we'll leave bangor the plan is to travel to Cape cod and spend the day on a beach. But while looking I found this:

Orleans
Nonresident stickers are issued at Nauset Beach, Tel (508) 240-3780,

Nauset Beach:
The definitive Cape Cod beach. Wide open beach with rolling sand dunes and big ocean waves. Water may be a little chilly but its worth it.
Directions: Main Street to the end of Beach Road

What does that mean? (the stickers part I mean).
Thanks!

wizardsrainbow
07-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Of course! :) Thanks Alinda!

One more question. When we'll leave bangor the plan is to travel to Cape cod and spend the day on a beach. But while looking I found this:

Orleans
Nonresident stickers are issued at Nauset Beach, Tel (508) 240-3780,

Nauset Beach:
The definitive Cape Cod beach. Wide open beach with rolling sand dunes and big ocean waves. Water may be a little chilly but its worth it.
Directions: Main Street to the end of Beach Road

What does that mean? (the stickers part I mean).
Thanks!

Means unless you live there, you have to pay to use the beach.

Ari_Racing
07-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh.Okay. :)
Thanks!

turtlex
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Ari - that's quite a ride, Bangor to the Cape. Like 5+ hours, depending on what part of the Cape you plan on going to.

There are a bunch of public beaches - but a lot of them, they do charge to park.

Have a great time!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Hope you have a great trip Ari.

Look after him guys.

Ari_Racing
07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
:) Thanks people!

Turtlex, I'll be in Pennsylvannia one day. Please PM and maybe we can meet!

Patrick
07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
What about me and Ari? :excited:Probably next Friday.
Even better.

Have a wonderful trip, Ari.

Ari_Racing
07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
:) THANK YOU!!!! I'll try to connect from there once a week.

Nerak
07-24-2008, 06:37 AM
I still think you should hit Hampton Beach in NH. It's a beautiful beach, with a boardwalk across the street with yummy places to eat, shops to stop in..and you can usually find a place to park for $5.

Ari_Racing
07-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi!

I'm here!!!! It's amazing (I don't find the words to describe it yet, but manhattan is out of this world.

I couldn't meet david last friday. We arried late (our flight had a 4 hour delay and one of the bags was lost). I'll try to meet him next monday.\

Thanks Karen for the suggestion. I'll see it with my friends.

take care all!

jhanic
07-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Keep us up-to-date on your activities, Ari! We're all interested.

John

shnnrc01
07-27-2008, 09:20 AM
ha,i can just imagine ari looking up at all the skyscrapers and bumping into everybody.

Nerak
07-27-2008, 02:06 PM
oooo ooooo oooooo Ari's in the states Ari's in the states!!!

WOO Freakin HOO!!

Can't wait til Friday!!! Squeeeeeeeeee

oy-the-brave
07-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi!

We arried late (our flight had a 4 hour delay and one of the bags was lost).

Wow you started your trip in a very traditional manner :doh:

gsvec
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
:excited: Can't wait to hear about all your adventures, guys!! :excited:

wizardsrainbow
07-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I just spent a wonderful 30 minutes with Ari in the park outside of my office building! It was fabulous to finally meet him, and he is one of the nicest guys I have met in some time. He is thrilled to be in the States and I think he is going to have a wonderful trip!

Here is a picture of us taken just 15 minutes ago:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Ari1.JPG

wizardsrainbow
07-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Ari brought me a little present as well....a Spanish Gunslinger (WAY COOL!!!)

Thanks Ari!!!!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Ari2.JPG

wizardsrainbow
07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
John and Mike....eat your hearts out boys. Look what Ari scored for himself today at Scribner...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Ari.JPG

Ricky
07-28-2008, 10:09 AM
How in the *expletive* *expletive* *expletive* did Ari get that?!

BTW, very cool Spanish Gunslinger. Is that a hardback? :thumbsup:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-28-2008, 10:12 AM
John and Mike....eat your hearts out boys. Look what Ari scored for himself today at Scribner...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Ari.JPG

Lucky Bar Steward. Congrats Ari.

wizardsrainbow
07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
How in the *expletive* *expletive* *expletive* did Ari get that?!

BTW, very cool Spanish Gunslinger. Is that a hardback? :thumbsup:

Ari has a good contact at Scribner.
Yes, it is indeed a hardback Gunslinger

Patrick
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Great photo, Wiz and Ari! It's wonderful to here about members meeting each other. Congrats on the Spanish Gunslinger, Wiz, and that proof, Ari! :excited:

(That is a proof not an ARC, correct? Either way... :thumbsup: )

herbertwest
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
nice pix of you guys :-)

wizardsrainbow
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Great photo, Wiz and Ari! It's wonderful to here about members meeting each other. Congrats on the Spanish Gunslinger, Wiz, and that proof, Ari! :excited:

(That is a proof not an ARC, correct? Either way... :thumbsup: )

Proof, yes, I stand corrected.

I would love someday to travel the States (and perhaps some places overseas) just to meet my fellow collectors on this site. There is the opportunity in October at the DT.com get-together in Vegas the weekend of the 17-19th. Hope some of you can make it!

turtlex
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey Great Pictures!!

Nerak
07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
:( :( :( Have to tell Robert tomorrow to call HIS contact. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!

Oh, and nice pic, David. Can't wait to add my own of me and Ari on Friday!!! WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Cutter
07-29-2008, 05:22 AM
A great picture of you two. Looks like a beautiful day too!

Ari_Racing
08-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Hi people!!

I'm in DC! :) We arrived late last night and we probably leave it later today (we're heading to Baltimore, Philladelphia and Atlantic City).

It was LOVELY to meet David and Karen!! A real pleasure. Both are awesome and I wish I could spend more time with them (BTW, Karen...I got lost entering in Boston (I had to go to the Science Museum and it was impossible to reach...it took me 1:20 to be NEAR it, leave the car and walk 15 blocks to pick them up)).

We went to Bangor and didn't find a single hotel room free!! All sold out! We went to Orono and all the towns from Bangor to Lincoln, searching for a hotel room.
In Lincoln, we asked the hotels and no rooms...so we put the car in a gas station and slept in the car.
On the next day we went to Bangor. I didn't saw King (We saw someone who was entering the house from the car to the side door who probably was him (tall), but it was very quick and we were parking the car.
Pretty cool Bangor! I took pictures of all the places (later on I'll show all to you). Some things I couldn't do, so it's a good reason to get back here in a couple of years.

Before that we went to Michael Whelan's house. Both him and Audrey are incredible! It was a real pleasure to be there!

We also visited HP Lovecraft's tomb in Providence.

Not everything has been great here, since one of my friends didn't receive his luggage when we arrived to JFK...and we still don't have any news from the company. They didn't pay yet and, of course, never found it. So we had to call everyday, find a place with internet, well....it wasn't easy. He had to spend a lot buying new clothes. This is one of the reasons we want to arrive to NY as soon as possible so he can get the payment for the lost luggage. I was planning to meet Bob (CRINva) and Rusty.. :( I'm very sorry guys. I promise a visit next time.

Well....I better leave before breakfast ends...

I miss ya' all! :)

Best!
Ari

CRinVA
08-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Hi people!!

I'm in DC! :) We arrived late last night and we probably leave it later today (we're heading to Baltimore, Philladelphia and Atlantic City).

It was LOVELY to meet David and Karen!! A real pleasure. Both are awesome and I wish I could spend more time with them (BTW, Karen...I got lost entering in Boston (I had to go to the Science Museum and it was impossible to reach...it took me 1:20 to be NEAR it, leave the car and walk 15 blocks to pick them up)).

We went to Bangor and didn't find a single hotel room free!! All sold out! We went to Orono and all the towns from Bangor to Lincoln, searching for a hotel room.
In Lincoln, we asked the hotels and no rooms...so we put the car in a gas station and slept in the car.
On the next day we went to Bangor. I didn't saw King (We saw someone who was entering the house from the car to the side door who probably was him (tall), but it was very quick and we were parking the car.
Pretty cool Bangor! I took pictures of all the places (later on I'll show all to you). Some things I couldn't do, so it's a good reason to get back here in a couple of years.

Before that we went to Michael Whelan's house. Both him and Audrey are incredible! It was a real pleasure to be there!

We also visited HP Lovecraft's tomb in Providence.

Not everything has been great here, since one of my friends didn't receive his luggage when we arrived to JFK...and we still don't have any news from the company. They didn't pay yet and, of course, never found it. So we had to call everyday, find a place with internet, well....it wasn't easy. He had to spend a lot buying new clothes. This is one of the reasons we want to arrive to NY as soon as possible so he can get the payment for the lost luggage. I was planning to meet Bob (CRINva) and Rusty.. :( I'm very sorry guys. I promise a visit next time.

Well....I better leave before breakfast ends...

I miss ya' all! :)

Best!
Ari

So close, yet so far! :-(

I will have to mail you the item we spoke of!

alinda
08-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Oh the touble with airlines and luggage , what a shame.
I hope your good experiences are out weighing the bad
ones. Philadelphia is my home town, I hope you have a grand
time there! :D

herbertwest
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
glad you enjoyed it, and hope the luggage stuff will get sorted...
see ya

Ari_Racing
08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi all!

We'll be staying in DC until tomorrow, so Bob, if you read this, please reply my PM so we can meet at least!
Best!

alinda
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
*crosses fingers* :D

Nerak
08-06-2008, 05:43 AM
ooo, can't wait to hear if they connected.....the suspense...the tension....the intrigue....

CRinVA
08-06-2008, 05:50 AM
ooo, can't wait to hear if they connected.....the suspense...the tension....the intrigue....

not yet, I replied to Ari's PM late last night when i saw it. he has not repolied back yet. Right now I give it a 50-50 at best chance that we can meet. we both have to go out of our ways to make it happen - trying at least! :-)

Nerak
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
oooo oooo oooo, keep us updated!!!

CRinVA
08-06-2008, 10:04 AM

Nothing yet, I am sure Ari and his friends are taking in the sights in DC (there is so much to do that is FREE). I don't know if they stayed extra for today or are staying extra tonight and leaving tomorrow! :-(

turtlex
08-06-2008, 01:48 PM

Nothing yet, I am sure Ari and his friends are taking in the sights in DC (there is so much to do that is FREE). I don't know if they stayed extra for today or are staying extra tonight and leaving tomorrow! :-(

That, my friend, is one of my favorite things about DC. All the free museums! So much fun!!!!

Ari_Racing
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi boys.
I tried to read the Pm today's morning but I was completely unable from my cellphone. :(

Sadly we're in Philadelphia now and leaving tomorrow at 10am to Atlantic City.

The truth is that this trip has been great but I've been unable to meet a lot of people I wanted to meet. It's not easy to do everything when you trip with two friends that like to do diferent things than me. Well...some I managed to do and some don't.

Next time I'll travel with my girlfriend and I know we'll be able to meet everyone.

I'm very very sorry! :(

See you next time! (it's a promise!)
Ari

alinda
08-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Ever think of visiting Florida ? :D

Nerak
08-07-2008, 05:45 AM
He was going to, but decided that the plane fair was too much with all the other costs..so mayhap next time around. :)

CRinVA
08-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Not a biggie Ari, we will meet up next time! I hope you are having fun. And even though I live so much closer, I have NEVER been to Atlantic City!

Patrick
08-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Yep, sometimes you've got to compromise with your travel partners. Glad you're having a good time, Ari. Next trip we'll expect to see you on the WEST coast!

Ari_Racing
08-16-2008, 04:58 PM
HELLO ALL!!!
:) IīM BACK! I promise all the details and pictures tomorrow. I just wanted to say hi to all and that it was awesome to meet the ones I met and that I wished I could meet everyone.

jhanic
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Welcome back! I think I speak for most of us here that we're all eagerly awaiting your news!

John

Ari_Racing
08-16-2008, 09:39 PM
:) THANK YOU!

I promise a lot of pics tomorrow. Today I can post this one :):

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/whelan.jpg

turtlex
08-17-2008, 02:10 AM
HELLO ALL!!!
:) IīM BACK! I promise all the details and pictures tomorrow. I just wanted to say hi to all and that it was awesome to meet the ones I met and that I wished I could meet everyone.

Welcome back from your travels !

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Randall Flagg
08-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Michael Whelan-you bastard!:P

Nerak
08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Nice pic of you and Michael!!

Glad you made it home ok!

Hugs!!

herbertwest
08-17-2008, 01:06 PM
is it michael?

congrats for meeting, did you get something signed up? :P
expecting your news and pix :-)

Randall Flagg
08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
is it michael?

Yes it is.

wizardsrainbow
08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Outside their house in the garden

gsvec
08-19-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm so so jealous *sigh* :drool:

herbertwest
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
further pix?

Nerak
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
MORE PICS
MORE PICS
MORE PICS
MORE PICS

Ari_Racing
08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Here I am :)

Well....it was the trip of my life. I still canīt stop thinking about it and I really wanted to stay there for more time.

I promise details but for now...here are the pics. :)

The enormous pleasure of meeting David and Karen!
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/davidandme.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/karenandme.jpg

(Karen...itīs impossible to park in Boston! :D )

First day in NYC:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/100_3320.JPG

Madame Tussaud's museum. First day as well:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/100_3340.JPG

The IMAGINE star in Central Park:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/100_3473.JPG

Empire State Building top. :)
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/100_3578.JPG

1408 Room in Pennsylvania Hotel! (yeah...we went up without asking, so we could take a pic in the front of the room. :D)
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/1408.jpg

The place where John Lennon was shot:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/lennon.jpg

The statue of the liberty:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/estatua.jpg

We spent the first 6 days in NYC. We went to almost all the museums, walked in the streets, Broadway, well....we got lost in Manhattan as the songs say and it was an incredible experience. Manhattan is beyond anything I could say.
Then, on the 7th day, we picked up the car and went to visit Michael Whelan. Connecticut is AWESOME! I had some great reviews from people that visited it but I couldnīt believe it was THAT NICE! :)

I saw Michaelīs paintings (MY GOD!!) and saw something I still canīt believe: Two illustrations made for the new book that were finished the day before! I saw sister Mary from Little sisters of Eluria! :)

Then we went to Boston and spend the night there. On the next day I left my friends in Boston and went to New Hampshire and met Karen. :) sheīs a wonderful girl and I wish I could have spend more time there! (I also met Robert and saw the offices of Grant Books! MuaHaHaHa....I saw things you wouldnīt believe!).

Then I went back to Boston, spend some hours there and drove to Bangor, Maine...

jhanic
08-20-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm jealous!

John

Ari_Racing
08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
We arrived to Bangor at 1/1:30 am on Saturday (august 2nd). We stopped at Kingīs house and saw it, and then went to find an hotel.....ALL SOLD OUT! Not a single hotel had a room!
So we start driving north and taking all the exits until we find one....well....we finally stopped in Lincoln, after taking a route that reminded me of the movie Dead End (all dark, no lights, no town....in the middle of nowhere. I suddendly turned off the lights and you couldnīt see ANYTHING! :) It was really creepy and cool.
Finally we stopped at a gas station and slept in the car (it was 4:30 am by the moment I stopped the car). At 8:30 am I got up, went to the bathroom of the gas station and by 9am we were going to Bangor again. :)

Meet Stu, who is a really nice guy. He gave me a map to find the places mentioned in the books.

I wonīt post all the pics because it might be boring, but here are some. :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/casking.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/petsematary.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/barrens.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/betts.jpg

At 3:30 pm we left Bangor (I stopped by at Kingīs house almost 100 times...but on the first one that saturday (after Lincolnīs nightmare :D ) when I was parking the car in front of his house one of my friends started to yell saying "LOOK, LOOK!"...and when I looked someone very tall was going from the car to the side door of Kingīs house. I couldnīt open my mouth...it was completely closed.

Finally we left Bangor and found a motel like the ones in the horror movies in Connecticut. I think I never enjoyed so much a shower and a bed! :D

Ari_Racing
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
On the next day we went back to Rhode Island and visited the grave of HP Lovecraft. It was something really strong to be there.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/lovecraft_grave.jpg

Then we travelled all the way to Washington.

Washington was really nice but we spend only 2 days there and I didnīt do all I wanted to do :( Besides on that day my camera didnīt have batteries so Iīm waiting for my friendīs pics to post them.

on the morning of the third day we went to Baltimore, where we stopped at Edgar Allan Poeīs house

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/poe_house.jpg

And then visited his grave.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/poe_grave.jpg

Then we left Baltimore and travelled to one of the places I liked the most: Philladelphia. We left our stuff in the hotel and then went to visit several places, such as Poeīs museum:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/poe_museo.jpg

The basement that inspired The Black Cat:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/sotano.jpg

Rocky Statue:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/dickens.jpg

and the Dickens Monument:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/dickens1.jpg

On the next day we left Philladelphia and went to Atlantic City. Sadly I didnīt quite like it...I think it was the only place I donīt think Iīll visit again. We spent the night there and on the next day went to Lodi, Wayne and other places in New Jersey (which by the way is an astonishing place!! I loved every place in New Jersey!)

For the Soprano fans:

Holstens, where the final chapter ended

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/holstens.jpg

It was surreal to be sitted there while Donīt Stop Believing (by Journey) sounded behind :)

The original Bada Bing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/badabing.jpg

We also visited Satriales....which doesnīt exist anymore! :doh:

Then back to NY...

Ari_Racing
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
On the next day we went back to Rhode Island and visited the grave of HP Lovecraft. It was something really strong to be there.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/lovecraft_grave.jpg

Then we travelled all the way to Washington.

Washington was really nice but we spend only 2 days there and I didnīt do all I wanted to do :( Besides on that day my camera didnīt have batteries so Iīm waiting for my friendīs pics to post them.

on the morning of the third day we went to Baltimore, where we stopped at Edgar Allan Poeīs house

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/poe_house.jpg

And then visited his grave.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/poe_grave.jpg

Then we left Baltimore and travelled to one of the places I liked the most: Philladelphia. We left our stuff in the hotel and then went to visit several places, such as Poeīs museum:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/poe_museo.jpg

The basement that inspired The Black Cat:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/sotano.jpg

Rocky Statue:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/dickens.jpg

and the Dickens Monument:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/dickens1.jpg

On the next day we left Philladelphia and went to Atlantic City. Sadly I didnīt quite like it...I think it was the only place I donīt think Iīll visit again. We spent the night there and on the next day went to Lodi, Wayne and other places in New Jersey (which by the way is an astonishing place!! I loved every place in New Jersey!)

For the Soprano fans:

Holstens, where the final chapter ended

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/holstens.jpg

It was surreal to be sitted there while Donīt Stop Believing (by Journey) sounded behind :)

The original Bada Bing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/badabing.jpg

We also visited Satriales....which doesnīt exist anymore! :doh:

Then back to NY...

Ari_Racing
08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
On the last day I "visited" the places that appear in The Dark Tower.

Hereīs the most important one.
Instead of a Rose, thereīs a fountain:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/fuente.jpg

There I throwed a penny and made a wish :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/torre.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/2hammaskjold_plaza.jpg

I gotta keep on working now. I promise more details at night :)

turtlex
08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
What a trip !!

Have you considered being a tour guide !!!

Looks like you had a great time!

alinda
08-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Ari, it looks like you had a wonderful time, the photos are very good.
You did fit in a lot of US (well east coast) in there, I hope if you come back
you will consider Florida, Louisiana, and parts west. Theres a lot of country here!

herbertwest
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
you guys seems to have visited and done a lot in the US, thats awsome!
Cant wait to see the other pictures :-)

Cutter
08-21-2008, 09:59 AM
That Rocky picture is hilarious :lol:

turtlex
08-21-2008, 10:17 AM
The Rocky Statue is a MUST visit when in PA.

I recently took two visitors around Philly, and even visiting the Liberty Bell didn't compare to running up the Art Museum steps and then taking a picture with the Rocky Statue!

I'm glad Ari did all the fun stuff around !

Ari_Racing
08-21-2008, 07:24 PM
:) Thanks guys!
It was a lovely trip.

Today I met with one of my friends and next sunday weīll have a meeting. I donīt want to confirm anything...but maybe next july Iīll be visiting California! :D

Nerak
08-22-2008, 05:01 AM
HEY!!! Not fair! Stick with the east coast!!!

Darkthoughts
08-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Awesome pics Ari! :thumbsup:

wizardsrainbow
08-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Ari-

I am so happy that you took in so many great things here on the East Coast. The West coast is very different but every bit as lovely. Thanks for sharing your pictures. What great memories you will have for a lifetime!

Ricky
08-22-2008, 06:21 AM

Jeeze, someone's an Ari hog.

jhanic
08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
What about us in the middle of the country?

John

Ari_Racing
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
:) Thank you very much, David!

Actually my intention is to see all the places there. Iīll visit the middle as well! :)

gsvec
08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
You can make a stop in the midwest on your way . . . :D

Nerak
08-22-2008, 05:35 PM

Jeeze, someone's an Ari hog.

yup :D

Patrick
08-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Ari, great photos! What a wonderful experience. We look forward to seeing you next July out West!

Ari_Racing
08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Thank you, Patrick! :)

It was a lovely experience!

Randall Flagg
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Ari, would you like this thread to remain here, or to The Clearing?

Ari_Racing
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Whichever suits you and the mods better! :)

I plan to visit USA again in 2010, so I might have to start another one again :D

Ari_Racing
04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
I might have to bring this topic back to life soon (well..not THAT soon...November sounds good)...

Patrick
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
West Coast this time, Ari?

Ari_Racing
04-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't know yet...I'm waiting for some more details about a November event... ;)

Patrick
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Don't know yet...I'm waiting for some more details about a November event... ;)
:orely:

A potential UNDER THE DOME booksigning tour?

:thumbsup:

Ari_Racing
04-08-2009, 05:11 AM
:) I'm starting to save. I don't know if I'll be able to save enough, but the project started yesterday!

herbertwest
04-08-2009, 05:36 AM
that would rocks if you could attend a booksigning event :-)

Ari_Racing
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
:) That's the whole point actually.

Ari_Racing
06-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, the trip isn't far away and I'm already working on it.

But since this time there are big chances I travel alone, I'm taking more care about the hotel, since Holland Motor Lodge in NJ is away my budget (145 dls per night it's too much).

Since the idea is to travel to NY every day, is it better to book an hotel in Connecticut or New Jersey? (as close as possible to train station or PATH).

Kidd Ikarus
06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
It's a biased vote from me, but I say NJ. It's an easy task getting to NYC from here, even if your not staying right on the border. I'm not too sure on the ease from Connecticut though, but the Garden State could definitely use your business. Haha.:cool:

turtlex
06-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Ari - NJ probably has more hotel choices, but CT also has a direct trainline ( right off route 95, it's a main Amtrak corridor ).

Ari_Racing
06-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks!

Distance (in time) going by train from CT?

turtlex
06-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Ari - It depends where in CT, but if you stayed somewhere like Darien, or right over the border... probably 1/2 hour or so to Penn Station which is the hub in NYC.

Ari_Racing
06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Alright. THANK YOU!!

Then I have Darien, Jersey City and Hoboken as good places to stay with quick subway/train to NYC. :)

Any other city?

turtlex
06-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Ari - Not sure how far they are, but both Bridgeport and Stamford, CT are right on the Amtrak train line as well. They both have trainstop which you could grab and take the train right into NYC.

And I know there are a bunch of hotels right off route 95 in CT. I'm pretty sure there's a Days Inn, and a Super8, and others.

Kidd Ikarus
06-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Hotels in Hoboken may be a little expensive, but it's a great town, lots of nightlife, and if you hop on the path, you can get to many parts of NYC in as little as 10 minutes.

wizardsrainbow
06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Ari-

I am 1 hour 10 minutes from NYC by train (Metro-North) into Grand Central. Pam is correct, though, that Amtrak also runs from Penn Station in NYC to Stamford (about 35 min) and Bridgeport CT (about 1 hour). Metro North tix would be somewhat cheaper than Amtrak. New Jersey is closer and the PATH is pretty cheap too. PM me about staying a night or two at my house (no charge).

Nerak
06-19-2009, 11:55 PM
ooo yeah, saty with Mr Wiz and that way I can plan a trip down to see you there!! WEEEEEEEE

Ari_Racing
06-24-2009, 05:34 AM
:) Thank you very much, Wiz! That's very kind of you.

So far it seems that the cheapest option would be Jersey City, since Path train is 10-15 minutes from Manhattan and it's very cheap.

Anyway, I'm still trying to work on the schedule but Karen, we will meet, I'll travel to CT one day for sure. :)

wizardsrainbow
06-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Ari-

Know that you will be welcome in my home any time. Good luck with the planning.

Ari_Racing
08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
My friend got his visa today!!!!:onfire::onfire::onfire::onfire:

So the second step of the trip is done. Now I gotta work with the schedule, hotel bookings, car reservations...well. :)

wizardsrainbow
08-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Good luck Ari. I hope we can meet again!

Ari_Racing
08-06-2009, 05:26 AM
:) We will, of course!

Nerak
08-06-2009, 05:39 AM
soooo exciting!!!! :panic::panic::panic:

Patrick
08-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Great, Ari!

Ari_Racing
08-08-2009, 10:41 AM
THANK YOU PATRICK!
:) YEap! Next week I'm getting the airplane ticket!

Ari_Racing
08-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Well, yesterday I met with the friend I'm travelling with this time and we worked the 1st part of the schedule:

NYC Event: Confirmed. I got both tickets.
Washington/Baltimore: 95% confirmed.

Then we'll rent a car and go up to Bangor, since my friend want to see the place. Will we have snow there in november?

And then we'll catch a flight to Colorado and spend one night at the Stanley Hotel :)

Still trying to work out the exact dates. I'll have a probable final schedule this week.

turtlex
08-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Ari - It's quite possible, and rather likely, you will see snow in Maine in November, yes.

Ari_Racing
08-16-2009, 03:17 PM
:) Thanks Pam!

I'm hoping that's something good and it doesn't mean I'm gonna be stucked there and lose my flight :D

Randall Flagg
08-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Well, yesterday I met with the friend I'm travelling with this time and we worked the 1st part of the schedule:

NYC Event: Confirmed. I got both tickets.
Washington/Baltimore: 95% confirmed.

Then we'll rent a car and go up to Bangor, since my friend want to see the place. Will we have snow there in november?

And then we'll catch a flight to Colorado and spend one night at the Stanley Hotel :)

Still trying to work out the exact dates. I'll have a probable final schedule this week.
In 1992 it was cold.

Should be ok.
Weather history for November in Bangor, Maine (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBGR/1992/11/10/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA):

turtlex
08-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Ari - I'm not sure what kind of car you have reserved for rental, but if you're concerned about the weather/snow, you might want to see if they have any special deals on 4wheel drive cars/suv.

Ari_Racing
08-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Well...finally the schedule has been modified.

NYC, Baltimore, CT and the Stanley Hotel. No Bangor this time.

Nerak
08-19-2009, 05:10 AM
That's means no me :( Le sigh

Ari_Racing
08-19-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm still trying to see if I can make it to Grant Books. :) Don't cancel anything yet.

Ari_Racing
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Alright, question time again :)

Is there a bus from Denver Airport to The Stanley Hotel? I'm about to book the room for the hotel and gotta know this before, since we won't have a car rented there.

turtlex
08-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Ari - Not so sure about a bus... and direct service would be unlikely...

but it does look like there is a shuttle service available :

http://www.estesparkshuttle.com/

72 miles from DIA - EstesPark Shuttle Serivce.

Airport Shuttle? Sorry, no airport shuttle available.

Ari_Racing
08-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Pam!

I didn't understand this:

Airport Shuttle? Sorry, no airport shuttle available.

turtlex
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
I believe that means that the hotel does not run a shuttle service to the airport. Some hotels do.

I think the http://www.estesparkshuttle.com/ is a separate entity, which would bring you there but is not directly affiliated with the hotel.

You should be able to confirm that with the hotel, Ari. One way or the other.

It does require advanced reservations!

Ari_Racing
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Perfect. Thanks Pam!!!:couple:

Ari_Racing
10-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Okay, I'm not too far from jumping into the plane, so I'm trying to complete the schedule.

I'm spending two nights in the Stanley Hotel (arriving to Denver on november 13th and leaving on nov. 15). I noticed the saving time hour changes on November 1st, so first:

Will the hour change in all USA or just in the Denver zone? I gotta book the flights..that's why I need to know that.

And on the other hand, I'll be there only two days, so I know it's a very little time. But I'll rent a car and would like to visit some cool places there. The first one I thought was the grand Canyon, but...I don't want to sound silly, but I don't know which point to reach. The closest one would be the best. Any suggestions/advices?

I also read that it might be snowing by the date I'm there. Are the roads dangerous to drive?

Sorry for all these questions!

Ari_Racing
10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Another question:

Which places do you suggest I visit in Estes Park? Please notice I'll be there only one day.

Matt
10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
The roads leading out of Denver this time of year can be very dangerous to drive Ari, I hope it doesn't snow too bad on you even though that could be cool at the Stanley.

the Grand Canyon is a days drive at least away, same with Yellowstone...not sure there is any major landmarks close by that you could get to in such a short time.

Ari_Racing
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Matt! Well..I think I'll stay in the Estes Park and enjoy that :)

turtlex
10-19-2009, 12:42 AM
:insert the Speed Racer theme music here: Here he comes, here comes Ari Racing...

Ari - Daylight Savings Time is applied to the majority of the US. Yes, Colorado and all the other places you're headed. Remember that typically, times indicated when booking flights are based on LOCAL time of the airport.

There are four time zones in the continental US : Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific.

http://dckaleidoscope.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/united-states-time-zones.jpg

Careful on the roads, Ari. If you're getting a 4x4 ( 4 wheel drive ) vehicle, don't hesitate to use it.

Matt
10-19-2009, 04:05 AM
And remember: In Colorado once you turn on the 4X4, well...that's when it is time to turn back. :lol:

Randall Flagg
10-19-2009, 05:39 AM
. I noticed the saving time hour changes on November 1st, so first:

Will the hour change in all USA or just in the Denver zone? I gotta book the flights..that's why I need to know that.

At 2am local time on Sunday November 1, 2009 clocks are rolled back one hour. Arizona and Hawaii are the two US states that don't observe Daylight Savings time.

BTW, try Estes Park Brewery (http://www.epbrewery.com/)
http://www.epbrewery.com/logo_1copy.gif

Ari_Racing
10-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Wow. THANKS!

I'm not getting a 4x4. Hope I don't harm the car. :)

CRinVA
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Ill second Jerome on the Estes Park Brewery. Tell em why you are there and they might give you a special tour. Its pretty cool. And perhaps they still have some REDRUM Beer.

You could drive to the Rocky Mountain National Park and check out the Moose - that's pretty cool and the place is beautiful.

You can ask for Room 217 - it might be available - you wont know if you dont ask!

Ari_Racing
10-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys! :) Bob, I'll try that for sure (keeping fingers crossed to get a redrum bottle).

Ari_Racing
10-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Okay, more questions:

Weather:
What's the temperature in NY and Colorado these days? I don't know how many clothes should I take.

Here in Buenos Aires we're having....30š today. Ajjj....I miss winter...

Sam
10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Ari, is that temperature in Celsius or Farenheit?

e_taylor
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM

Celsius.

I'd pack a sweater to be safe.

Here in London we're at about 18 degrees, but we also had snow two weeks ago.

jhanic
10-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Ari, I just saw on the news today that Denver, Colorado got two feet of snow today.

John

wizardsrainbow
10-30-2009, 05:35 PM

Celsius.

That's London, Ontario folks, not London as in The Queen, London! :wtf:

e_taylor
10-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Celsius.

That's London, Ontario folks, not London as in The Queen, London! :wtf:

haha yah, my bad - I always forget to preface that!

Although the Queen is still technically our head of state!

MíchÃĐal
10-30-2009, 06:13 PM
tut tut, damn queen :lol:
^^

Randall Flagg
10-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Bring a bit more warm clothing than you might imagine. It is easier (cheaper and more expeditious) to take a coat off than buy one.

Ari_Racing
10-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Alright, Cool. Thanks!

Gris
11-01-2009, 02:18 AM
It's going to be COLD in New York on Nov 10th. Unless we get a heat wave, you will be looking at 0-10 celcius tops.

Sam
11-01-2009, 07:28 AM
I'd offer some advice Ari, but I think my family refers to me as "the polar bear" for a reason that may disqualify me as a poteintial advisor regarding your temperature related clothing needs.:P

Ricky
11-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Ari, be prepared for anything in Baltimore. Though it was unusually warm last night, it's likely to be frigid on the 11th!

Ari_Racing
11-01-2009, 10:21 AM
:) Thanks!

So far it seems the temperature will be the same as Buenos Aires during winter.

With the exception of the snow...of course.

Ari_Racing
11-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Important question:

On Nov. 15th I'll be returning from Colorado, and the plan was to leave the luggage in a locker in JFK and spend the day in the city, making the last purchases and enjoying the last hours at JFK.

Now....I saw that aparently there are no more lockers in JFK.

Any idea where can I leave the luggage to spend the last day in the city?
Thanks!

turtlex
11-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Ugh. That's a tough one, Ari. Since 9/11 - not a lot of public lockers are available.

I know some hotels will hold bags. You might try that - airport hotels.

Ari_Racing
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks Pam!

I've just found this:

http://www.schwartztravel.com/

It seems the solution to my problem so far. :)

Ari_Racing
11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Well people, I'm almost inside the plane :) Only 36 hours left.

Can't wait to meet the ones attending there! :)

Patrick
11-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Have a safe flight, Ari!

Ricky
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Have a safe trip--I'm sure you're have a blast!

I'll start prepping mi espanol. :lol:

turtlex
11-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Safe travels, Ari !!

Sam
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Have a safe flight Ari and enjoy your trip.

herbertwest
11-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Have a good time Ari