PDA

View Full Version : HF2008 Haven Foundation Charity Fund Raiser--a year of appreciation for Stephen King

Pages : [1] 2

Matt
01-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Sorry for yet another long post but this issue is near and dear to my heart.

This site will celebrate its one year anniversary on May 19th, 2008. We intend to celebrate that occasion in the only way that makes sense. We are going to raise as much money as possible for The Haven Foundation (http://www.thehavenfdn.org/) charity. The following is the welcome text on the sites home page.

100% of anything collected will be donated to The Haven Foundation. No admin fees, no transfers (I'll pay the paypal stuff)...every cent you give will go to this worth cause.

On May 19th, 2008, a check will be mailed on this sites name for the entire proceeds of the event.

Our Goal is $1000.00

From the desk of Stephen King:

In the summer of 1999, I was struck by a careless driver and nearly killed while taking my daily walk. It was ten months before I was able to work productively again. Some years later, a good friend of mine, audio reader Frank Muller, suffered terrible head injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident. He will never work again. My luck was infinitely better than Muller’s, but the two events set me thinking about the uniquely perilous situation of many freelance artists. The majority of mid-list writers, audio readers, and freelancers in the book and publishing industry have little or no financial cushion in the event of a sudden catastrophic accident such as that suffered by Muller and myself. Many aren’t affiliated with any professional associations or guilds that can help them in the event of such reversals. Even those who are affiliated with organizations such as The Authors’ Guild cannot look for much beyond token help over a short period of time.

My response to this has been the creation of The Haven Foundation. Its goals will be fourfold:

First, to establish a compassionate and committed group of board members willing to sift through cases and identify those where the need seems to be the greatest. These “greatest need” cases would be freelance artists—writers, readers, and those in the associated publishing industry—who have found themselves unable to work due to disease or accident. We will also be focusing on freelancers associated with the book and publishing industry who lost their homes and work spaces (with freelancers these are often the same) as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Second, to help a number of these individuals each year, based on need.

Third, to establish cut-off points for such help. As I have discovered, the decision to cut off aid is an agonizing one, and best made by a group rather than by an individual. I have come to believe, however, that it must be made if help is to be rendered to the many rather than the few.

Fourth, to seek fundraising opportunities so that The Haven Foundation can continue to do this work.

Stephen King
June 7, 2006I am personally an avid fan of audio books, I listen to them every day on my commute to work. Not only does a book in audio format bring a different perspective (Sissy Spacek reading Scout Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird, no way I could get that feel on my own), but it also a form of story telling that has been around since the dawn of time. The oral rendition of a tale by someone who knows how to make it good. For eons our ancestors have sat around and listened to that very thing. So I am very much into making this sites donation to the cause worthwhile. With that being said, any amount we can raise will help.

So here is what you can do:

You can flat donate.
I have set up a page on this site to accept them through paypal
TheDarkTower.com Paypal Donation Page (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/billspaypal.php)
there will also be a link to that page on our Home page, anyone can use it
This money will be transfered to the fund from there, I will pay for the fees.
You can send any check, cash or money order that you can spare to

Matt Rayne
Charity Funds Drive
51 Pinetree Place
Parachute, CO 81635
Please send anything you can, it doesn't matter if its a nickel, any little bit will help.

You can buy stuff from our Store (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1872):
All profits from any merchandise in the store will go to this cause.
CafePress operates on a "mark up" system. They charge a certain price, the seller marks up for a set amount
The maximum markup in our store is $5.00--each purchase in the store nets only the mark up from the sale.
If you buy a shirt (for instance), you will be donating $5.00 to the fund raiser. Lesser items have a lesser mark up. You can wait for the big, secret event coming up
:ninja:
How do I know how we are doing?

I am installing a donation progress bar on the site that will keep track of our progress towards the $1000.00 goal. Is very unobtrusive and will be at the top of the forum until the fund raising drive is over. :cowboy:

I will also keep track of individual donations on a spread sheet

Please use this thread for any questions you have but above all, please send me your loose change, or whatever you have for this amazing cause. :clap:

Thank you

Daghain
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Great idea, Matt! :D

Darkthoughts
01-28-2008, 02:33 AM
Yep, fantastic idea!!

Matt
01-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks you guys, I am really hoping everyone will be able to donate just a bit.

Storyslinger
01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Great idea, great cause.

Matt
01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
We got another dollar!

Thank you so much, any bit really helps :grouphug:

Matt
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I have now added a donation progress bar to the forum home page, this will remain until May 19th :D

Daghain
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Cool!

Matt
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Holy Shit you guys!!

We just had a 100.00 donation to the cause. Thank you so much--you know who you are. :huglove:

Jorge
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Wow. I really have a feeling that we're going to waaaay surpass our goal by the end of this thing. I'll probably support the cause by buying a few items of dt.com apparel when my next paycheck comes in. Woohoo, I'm stimulating the economy!!!

Matt
01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I really do hope we exceed it. It will feel so good to actually do something to help other people in this sites name.

Matt
01-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Another 100 dollar donation!!!

:rock:

I just pissed myself!! This is amazing

Please everyone--just give some if you can.

For the members that are really turning their pockets out, thank you so much. :wub:

Daghain
01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm starting to think you set your sights too low, Matty. :lol:

NeedfulKings
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Great idea, Matt!! I think I just paypal'd a few bucks from BedOfRoses and I.

I hope you got it!!! :)

Bill

Matt
01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I did indeed Sir, thank you very much. :rose:

I also got another 20.00 donation--you know who you are, I really appreciate it. :couple:

Matt
01-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Sorry for the double post.

It has been decided that donations to this charity (using the donation link in the first post) will pay beam bucks 50 to 1

So if you donate a buck, you get 50 beam bucks. :rock:

Also, I would like to send around a card for everyone who donated (reguardless of method) to the cause to sign--it will be included with the check.

Darkthoughts
01-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I love that idea!!

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Great idea

Matt
01-29-2008, 09:27 AM
It was Jeromes, he is totally full of them. :lol:

Daghain
01-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah, that would be cool!

ZoNeSeeK
01-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Great work Matt!

PS: ill buy a bunch of shit as soon as this wedding is over ;)

CRinVA
01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Paypal donation submitted just a sec ago - hope you got it! :-)

Daghain
01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
:clap:

Matt
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Paypal donation submitted just a sec ago - hope you got it! :-)

I did sir!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Matt
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
The donation bar has been updated!! :rock:

Almost 30% of the goal already achieved, thank you guys so much

Matt
02-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, I hate a triple post but its going to happen in threads like this :lol:

I just wanted to mention everyone that has donated so far has been paid their 50 to 1 in beambucks.

Thanks again.

Matt
02-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Okay, here we go again. :lol:

Our fund raiser just received another 50.00 donation. Thank you so much!

Matt
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I just received another 100 dollar donation!!!

Thank you so much, you know who you are. :wub:

could whoever made this one please PM me--I don't recognize your real name.

Erin
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Wow! How generous! I don't want to jinx anything, but it looks like we are well on our way to meeting and possibly beating our goal. :nana:

tippy4
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
OK, here is the deal.

I have a signed copy of DUMA KEY on the way to me.

If you have been following these on ebay, you know they have been selling for $250-$350.

I am going to sell one for $260 shipped and insured, and $50 of that goes to the fund raiser.

PM me if interested

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Matt
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Wow! Thanks for the amazing donation to the cause Tippy.

We have a few guidelines we are setting up for our wonderful collectors to donate to the fund raiser if they like.

Would you mind PMing Hannah so that the two of you could coordinate details? I would really appreciate it.

If I wasn't going to get mine signed, I would be buying this for sure.

MonteGss
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I can't wait for the big, secret event coming up. :)
I can't believe it has almost been a year already. :D

Matt
02-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Because of donations over the weekend, we have officially reached half our goal!! :rock:

Thanks to everyone who has donated or will in the future. This fund raiser is causing a lot of buzz in the King world and we plan to go all the way

Brice
02-11-2008, 07:29 AM
and we plan to go all the way

Ever noticed even your most innocent statements are filled with innuendo and double entendres , Matt? :lol:

Matt
02-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes, its a gift :lol:

And...I just went out and checked the store and we sold another shirt. :rock:

Plus 5 bucks!!

Brice
02-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Awesome! :dance:

Matt
02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
We just received another $100.00 in donations. In this case it is really giving because the person who made this contribution is being met with challenges of their own.

It makes it even more special and significant. Thank you.

And...you just received 5000 in beam bucks for your generosity.

wizardsrainbow
02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
gracias senor

Matt
02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh no, I must thank you sir.

I have been trying to keep it annon if folks want but I am so glad when one of you great people steps forward to receive my public thanks.

I can't tell you how much this means to me--not the first time you have heard me say that. Its because you are an amazing person.

**puts a halt to the mush train** :lol:

wizardsrainbow
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
:couple: :huglove: :grouphug: <Wizard opens train back up>

:clap: Hello people, step up and be counted...for a GREAT cause :clap:

Daghain
02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, if I'd known there was going to be a love train....:lol:

Matt
02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
:wub:

You are another my dear, just amazing generosity and my eternal thanks.

And on a side note, I sent that bookmark today.

I am also going to send each of you a thank you card in the mail when this is all over.

Daghain
02-12-2008, 01:46 PM
OOOH, mail from Matt! Sweet! :)

Hannah
02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Matt, I still have quite a few bookmarks sitting on my King shelf. I can send some out to those who donate as well. I'd be happy to.

Matt
02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
That sounds great Hannah--Daggers had one on back order but I love the idea of sending them out to folks that donate.

Getting mailing addys might be a little hard though :lol:

I'm trying to save the rest of mine to hand out at the signing. :ninja:

Erin
02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow! I just looked at the progress bar and couldn't believe how much it jumped!

Go darktower.com!!!!!!!

Matt
02-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Another 50.00 dollar donation!!

Wonderful--thank you so much

Matt
02-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks to many generous donations and store purchases we have officially cleared 70% of our goal and we are just getting started. :rock:

Thanks to everyone that has been in so far. I am settling all the 50 to 1 beam bucks conversions today. So look for site fun money in your accounts. :grouphug:

I do have one person that bought a tee in the shop and I cannot identify them. Purchase was 2/9, PM me if you want your 250 in Beam Bucks

Matt
02-18-2008, 08:32 AM
We just had $65.00 more in donations. :excited:

50.00 of that was donated in Randall Flaggs name!!

Thanks again to those of you who are giving and a special thanks to Jerome for all his help

turtlex
02-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Folks - I kind of have issues with paypal, so I'd like to send a check - who do I make it out to?

Long days...

Matt
02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Wow turtlex--thank you so much for joining and being interested in our fund raiser.

You can send a check or money order to:

The Haven Foundation Charity Fund
c/o Matt Rayne
51 Pinetree Place
Parachute, CO 81635

Make it payable to me as I am sending this all through my personal accounts.

I am the owner and collector of all funds. :rock:

Thanks again-

Matt

turtlex
02-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Matt -

I've been a bit of a lurker for a while, and this is a great charity and a wonderful idea.

I'm proud to participate.

The check will go out on Wednesday morning.

Matt
02-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Much appreciated my friend, its great to have you. :couple:

Matt
02-20-2008, 12:32 PM
The scrolling marquee has been changed to indicate we are beginning our first charity auction for donated items. This is just the beginning.

Mens XL Polo Shirt with Logo (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/DTbay.php?do=item&viewitem=37)

please bid if you can, its all for charity

Matt
02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I just got a 50.00 donation from a guest to the site. Its amazing how wonderful people are...how giving.

Thank you guest--please sign up if you like, we would love to have you.

Hannah
02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
That's awesome. Thank you, anonymous guest. :wub:

Matt
02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
It really is. :wub:

Our first auctions are going really well! The Drawing of the Three on cassette went for it's buy it now price. Thank you so much alinda for your generous donation. I hope you enjoy the recording.

I'll send you a PM with details on getting it right out to you. :wub:

tippy4
02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
OK folks, I am throwing something up for sale for this fund raiser.

An ADVACED READERS COPY of Lisey's Story.

$50 for it shipped, and 100% of the proceeds go to the fund.

You can PM me if you want it.

Matt
02-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I just had another 50.00 donation given in the name of Wizardsrainbow.

Thank you to the person who donated and thanks also to Wizardsrainbow for all his help in this thing.

Matt
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
As all can see by the beautiful green bar, we have reached our initial goal.

I had no idea that the members of this site would come out in such force for this amazing charity, but I should have.

You guys have astounded me and if you ever think to yourself..."wow, Matt gives a lot to this place"...just think back about what you have done, all that you have given as well. This is a beautiful moment for me and I can't tell you how happy it makes me.

So...each person who has donated so far will be receiving my thanks and more. This thing is only month old and already phenomenal. To each of you who have given or will...my eternal thanks.

We are really just getting started here my friends. :grouphug:

Erin
02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
We met our goal and have barely begun!

AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!

fernandito
02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Will you set the bar even higher, Matt?

Matt
02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
We're discussing that right now--I'm literally blown over by the response.

Obviously we are going to continue to collect as much money as possible between now and May 19th, its just all about how the total is displayed at this point.

The fund raiser itself is really just beginning and we have some wonderful stuff coming up for it.

Everyone who has donated so far is in a very nice place at the moment for sure--in the heart and in relation to the big giveaway

NeedfulKings
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Congratulations!!! The bar is the first thing I'd look at each time I log on. It looks good in green!! We plan to donate again before the deadline. It just feels good!!!

Bill

Jean
02-26-2008, 12:25 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Matt
02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
**this thread to be merged later with the existing Fund Raiser thread**

Hey Everyone--as you can see, this site and destroyed our initial goal for the Haven Foundation. Something like this shows that we are not just going to sit around and gripe or discuss...we are going to use our combined resources to try and make a difference.

Its an amazing thing as I have said and we should all be very proud of ourselves.

But we can't stop here...on no. We must push on and raise as much as we can to present a substantial contribution to the Haven Foundation on May 19th.

Just so you all know, the money collected so far is going to be transfered into an interest bearing certificate of deposit at my bank. That way we can make money on the money between now and then.

We are also getting ready to launch new and interesting activites, games and giveaways to continue our steam rolling path to our new goal of $2500.00

Lets make this one happen too :grouphug:

The bar at the top will now be changed to reflect the new goal. Those of you who have already donated are automatically entered into the major site giveaway and I will post details on that when they become available.

Dawn
02-26-2008, 08:25 AM
yay for the goal!! new and old!! :clap:

Matt
02-26-2008, 08:26 AM

Thanks honey! Lily is still getting that tdt.com onesy though. :lol:

fernandito
02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Very admirable! Hopefully this new goal is reached as easily as the previous one.

NeedfulKings
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I love the new goal. One suggestion:

If there is any message that goes along with the donation to Haven, I think you should use the $1000 goal as a benchmark.

Example--if you raise $2500 you can say that you attained 250% of your original goal (did I do the math right? lol).

I'm impressed with all the generosity.

Matt
02-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Great idea NK--I am going to send on a letter that not only states that but also gives a list of people who put in.

turtlex
02-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Matt -

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you please let me know when you receive my donation check for Haven?

Just want to make sure it made the cross-country trip safely.

Regards,
turtlex

Matt
02-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Actually turtlex--I received it last night in the mail. I was going to send you a PM today.

Thank you so much for the generous donation, it was a wonderful thing for you to do. :couple:

tippy4
02-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I have just procurred another signed 1st/1st of Duma Key, and it is on the way to me now.

One of these just sold on ebay yesterday for $350 plus shipping!

I am selling my copy for $300 shipped and insured, and $50 of that will go to this fund raiser.

PM me if interested!

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Matt
02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Can't tell you how much your contributions have meant Tippy, thanks for doing this.

turtlex
02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
It feels good to contribute to such a great cause.

Thanks, Matt, for doing this.

It's a good thing.

Matt
02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Thank you! So very much. I must tell you the check probably won't clear for a few days.

I'm setting up an interest bearing account for the money to sit in until May but it might be just a bit.

Thank you so much again, it was a really special thing for you to send that out. :couple:

and speaking of all of this, there is a new TDT.com organic teeshirt up for auction (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/vbay.php?do=item&viewitem=40) for anyone who is interested.

Matt
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Another post :nana:

I just wanted to let everyone know that the money collected so far is all nice and tidy in an interest bearing certificate of deposit.

We are getting 1.75% APY

alinda
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks Matt for letting me know you got the check.
(and that you liked & are keeping my little drawing)
I have saved everything I have recieved from any-
one DT related too!!:blush:

Matt
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
It was my wonderful pleasure to receive it Linda--much appreciated.

And thanks to John Blaze for his bid on the other shirt. Are you guys going to let him have this great item for 11 bucks?!?!?

No way I say...no way! :lol:

Patrick
03-01-2008, 05:06 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that the money collected so far is all nice and tidy in an interest bearing certificate of deposit.

We are getting 1.75% APY

What? You didn't invest it in auction rate securities for a higher return?

kidding :P

Daghain
03-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Ummm, my Etrade savings is getting 5%. :lol:

Matt
03-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah, its very short term--not much but something. :D

Daghain
03-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I totally get that. Just had to give you a hard time. :lol:

Patrick
03-02-2008, 01:10 AM

We are getting 1.75% APY

What? You didn't invest it in auction rate securities for a higher return?

kidding :P

That was a joke, by the way. The auction rate securites market failed a week or so ago. We'd be screwed if that's where you had put the funds. :doh:

Good job playing it safe, Matt! :thumbsup:

:couple:

Erin
03-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Matt and Dora are the bankers extraordinaire! Our donations couldn't be in better hands. :couple:

Matt
03-02-2008, 08:40 AM

Thanks Erin--I figured sticking it someplace secure was better than the Paypal cue for sure. :lol:

We had another amazing donation this morning...absolutely extraordinary--thank you my friend.

Patrick
03-02-2008, 08:51 AM
:lol: Yep, sitting in a Paypal account only benefits Paypal.

;)

Matt
03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I got another generous donation today, thank you so much.

I know we got a bit sidetracked you guys but please send me whatever you can. If you can't use paypal, put it in the mail. My address is the first post in this thread.

Please give if you can--you really want to be involved in the giveaway because we are putting together an amazing list of prizes. I'm not kidding...really amazing. :ninja:

<--has been working his butt off on that part. :rock:

Daghain
03-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Isn't Dora going to be upset if your butt falls off? :lol:

Matt
03-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Thank you to gunslinger1987 who used the buy it now feature to purchase our slipcase at auction.

That's 25.00 more dollars towards the cause!! :rock:

alinda
03-09-2008, 04:02 AM
Thankyou Matt for sending me so many extra little goodies along with
the box set of the audio book The Drawing of The Three. I really loved this book, and look forward to listening to it again and again.

Matt
03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Your welcome Alinda, thanks so much for buying it.

Matt
03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
We got a new 20.00 donation today. Thank you so much!!

ladysai
03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Great job with the fundraiser, Matt!
:huglove:

Matt
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
You are a saint my dear, thanks so much. :huglove:

We are almost at 50% everyone!!

Heather19
03-17-2008, 05:12 PM
What happened to the progress bar that was at the top of the page?

Matt
03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
It is still out there, it only shows up on the forum home page. :rock:

Matt
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM
We just had a guest to this site donate 50.00 to our fund raiser.

I am so amazed by your generosity, we really appreciate the help. :couple:

Kevin
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Just something I noticed, The homepage still has the old goal of 1000$ on it.

I'll be donating whatever I can on my next paycheck, this was such a good idea Matt (or if it was someone else's idea, kudoes to you!). :)

Matt
03-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Eeek! Thanks for pointing that out Kevin. We be so very happy with whatever you can give.

**runs out to do a fix**

Matt
03-21-2008, 07:35 AM
A slip case from the Overlook Connection filled with all seven issues of Gunslinger Born has sold so fast at auction, I didn't get a chance to announce it.

:lol:

45.00 more dollars for out fund raiser :rock:

Patrick
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Matt, you know what need more auctions of? Dark Tower audiobooks.

Daghain
03-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh, yeah. Definitely.

Matt
03-22-2008, 09:16 AM
I got one out there, waiting for a bite. :cool:

the others are going up today.

Matt
03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I got such a box for the giveaway today!!

Thank you so much, its at but Dora described the contents to me. I'll send you out a more personal PM when I get a chance to go through it.

Amazing stuff from the bit I heard

Matt
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
I just put the first 4 books of the The Dark Tower out on DTbay. These are all on cassette and in great condition.

The recording itself is a classic and will never be done by this person again. Very much worth the bargin price they are out there for.

Please bid if you are interested. All proceeds go to our fund raiser. :rock:

Patrick
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Woo hoo! :dance:

Hannah
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to the person who just donated $100. I'm not sure if they're cool with being named outright - but THANK YOU!

That puts us at $1605!! :excited: We're so close...

Nerak
04-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Matt
04-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Have you guys been watching that progress bar jump? We are getting donations flowing in at a very fast rate.

Thanks to all that are participating, I think we may make that very high goal we established for ourselves. :grouphug:

Matt
04-09-2008, 08:41 AM
With our latest donation, we have cleared 70% of the goal. Hell of a showing but we still have some more to go.

Please donate if you can.

Matt
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Donation bar just jumped. One of the people that has donated the most to this fund raiser is a guest to the site from the SKMB. And she just donated again

I plan on getting her to join but for now, lets all do a resounding "THANK YOU" to this amazing person.

Daghain
04-10-2008, 12:46 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! :D

Ricky
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Thank you amazing person!

Storyslinger
04-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Thank You

Matt
04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Just got another big one!! :rock:

Thanks so much, I'll send a more personal PM

Daghain
04-11-2008, 09:04 AM
SWEET!!!

Patrick
04-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Way to go, everyone! The generosity of our members and guests is inspiring!

Matt
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Its really something. :grouphug:

In other news, two new items have been added for auction on DTbay. Check it out if you love audio books.

Matt
04-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Over 75% of the way there and a whole new batch of cool shit on the giveaway list. :nana:

Now's the time, donate if you can everyone.

If your not sure how or what to do, just shoot me a PM and we can chat about it.

Matt
04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Donations are coming in fast now, that bar is flying :lol:

And I haven't even added the stuff that's promised yet!!

Ricky
04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
The stuff that's promised?

Matt
04-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Donations that have been promised and are being sent through the mail.

Ricky
04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh, I gotcha. It just didn't click. :)

Erin
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I could barely believe what the fund raiser bar was up to when I logged in today after being gone for a bit. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the members have done an amazing job and been super generous. :grouphug:

Matt
04-16-2008, 05:12 AM
That is so true and speaking of...

I woke up to another 50.00 dollars in donations this morning. :rock:

Almost cracked 2000.00--little over a month to make our goal.

turtlex
04-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Matt - If my donation arrives in today mail, we'll go over $2000 :D

This is so cool.

Matt
04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Yay Turtlex!!

I can't wait till it comes, that 2000 mark is very significant to me.

(considering how this started)

Matt
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Just got another $25, thank you kind sir.

Tomorrow is our 11 month anniversary which means we only have 1 month until May 19th.

We can make this goal if we try. :grouphug:

Patrick
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
That reminds me, I still need to paypay you that additional twenty. I'll get right on it. :)

Matt
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Woohoo!! I was going to send you a PM about that Patrick.

Thanks so much, it'll go right out.

Patrick
04-18-2008, 10:40 AM
You should now have the funds, Matt. :dance:

Matt
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
WOOHOO!!

Your donation broke the 2000 mark Patrick!!

I'll send the book out first thing in the morning.

turtlex
04-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Matt -

Any sign of the check I sent out your way on Monday? I would think you should have it by now.

Let me know.
Thanks.

Matt
04-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I'll send a PM as soon as I see it Turtlex--I'm hoping to see those today.

We are a bit out here so I always add a day on any expected mail service. :lol:

turtlex
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Ah, understood. Thanks!

Patrick
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
WOOHOO!!

Your donation broke the 2000 mark Patrick!!

I'll send the book out first thing in the morning.

:thumbsup: :rock: :dance:

We're over 200% of our original goal!

Matt
04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Amazing isn't it?

I didn't think we could raise the first 1000--I'm so proud of this site, you people are great!

alinda
04-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes you all are wonderful *I'm so proud of you guys*
Matt, do you think you'll have to raise the bar again
before the deadline? ;)

Matt
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Oh no, :lol:

I am going to count myself the most fortunate man on the planet if we can make that.

If we go over, we'll just calculate it as over 100% of the goal. :rock:

alinda
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Its just so terriffic ya know? Our members
should feel pretty darned good about themselves!
And thanks Matt for the opportunity to help.

Patrick
04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, we rock. Every damn one of us. :grouphug:

Matt
04-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Just had another very large donation--thank you friends :grouphug:

Daghain
04-19-2008, 12:37 PM
This is so awesome!

Matt
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Okay everyone...we officially have less than a month to raise the last 400 bucks.

We can't get his close and not make it. :panic:

And...we have been averaging about 500 per month since it started, hopefully this month won't be any different.

Matt
04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
double post--sorry about that. :D

I also wanted to assure people that if you have sent something in the mail, I promise I will let you know the second I see it.

I usually pick up the mail as soon as I get home and send PM's on whatever is there, daily. :grouphug:

MonteGss
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I have no doubt we will make the goal. :)

Matt
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Holy donations Batman!!

Be prepared for a very large jump on the bar here in just a sec :rock:

Patrick
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
:thumbsup: I believe we'll have exceeded the goal come May 19th.

Daghain
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Most definitely. :)

turtlex
04-22-2008, 02:45 AM
<< turtlex's morning ritual... check woot.com then check the progress bar at thedarktower.org >>

Edited to add : who wants to bet that we beat the "Most users ever online was" stat when the winners are announced?

Nerak
04-22-2008, 05:10 AM
When are the winners going to be posted? Are you drawing in AM or PM, how can I collect my prizes! LOL

You can just tell Michael that I will drive down to get the painting and tell Marsha that I will come visit to get my book! :lol:

wishful thinking :sigh:

Matt
04-22-2008, 05:25 AM

We are going to be doing the drawing (on video) Saturday night, May 17th.

I'll post a list of who won and also put the video on youtube. :rock:

turtlex
04-22-2008, 07:21 AM

We are going to be doing the drawing (on video) Saturday night, May 17th.

I'll post a list of who won and also put the video on youtube. :rock:

Awesome idea !!!
Live.... It'll be just like the Academy Awards, except, you know - completely different !

Matt
04-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Its going to be real fun and I can't wait to party with my friends. :wub:

MonteGss
04-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Probably a stupid question Matt, but you are going to link the video here, yes? :)

We better be able to see beer bottles and bongs in the background! :lol:

Matt
04-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Oh yes, there is actually going to be one video per drawing.

And I know there is a CRAZY idea for the grand prize drawing that may include immersing the winner in some sort of tequila. :lol:

Hannah
04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
That crazy idea was all aaron. He wants to find some sort of clear capsule that we can fold the grand prize winner into ... and throw it in a bottle of tequila. That way everyone can see it while we drink. :lol:

Matt
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I think it sounds fun as hell. CRAZY as in cool. :lol:

Hannah
04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Sound fun to me too. CRAZY = fun when we get together. :lol:

I need to buy some funny hats.

Ricky
04-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Its going to be real fun and I can't wait to party with my friends. :wub:

No one told me about a party?! Am I invited? :(

On a side note, why is there going to be a seperate video for each drawing? Why not just keep it playing for all the prize drawings?

Matt
04-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Because I wanted to pause in between and my video camera closes the file if you pause it.

If it was one file, it would have to be continuous...unless I took some time to slam all the separate files together.

And of course you are invited Ricky, can you make it out from Baltimore? :lol:

Ricky
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
No problem! I'll sneak out of the house, go back to Union Station, and take a train out to Parachute. Easy.

I'll bring the Doritos! :rock:

Matt
04-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Better leave now.

Ricky
04-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Now? I don't think so unless you have a spare bedroom that you want to rent out to me for a couple weeks.

Matt
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
I was just playing that a train ride from the East coast would probably take a couple of weeks.

But if we are being totally serious, its a Directors only thing of course. :couple:

Daghain
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM

And bring your winter jacket AND shorts. It's Colorado. No telling what the weather will be.

Ricky
04-22-2008, 12:30 PM
In that case, I'm officially making myself a Director...it's alright, I know when I'm not wanted :cry: ...

Matt
04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
In that case, I'm officially making myself a Director...it's alright, I know when I'm not wanted :cry: ...

awwww...Sorry about that Ricky.

But seriously, if you ever feel like coming out this way. Let me know, me and Dora would give you a place to stay.

Patrick
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
If I win the grand prize, you Directors will be getting that bottle of tequila, and it won't be no gut-rot stuff either.

This is not a bribe, just a statement of fact.

Ricky
04-22-2008, 01:05 PM

awwww...Sorry about that Ricky.

But seriously, if you ever feel like coming out this way. Let me know, me and Dora would give you a place to stay.

Thanks Matt. If I am ever on vacation in CO, I'll be sure to drop in and say hi. That might not be for awhile though. :lol:

Matt
04-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Just got another great donation, thank you kind soul.

Its wild, the people who have given--keep giving.

I've never seen anything like it and it warms the dark chambers of my heart. :wub:

Matt
04-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Another huge donation for a guest to the board.

Watch it climb!!

Patrick
04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Hope those generous Guests join on up. :)

Matt
04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm working on that. :lol:

Only 185.00 to go until we reach our goal!!

Matt
04-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Just got another 50 clams in the kitty :rock:

Make that 135.00 to reach the goal.

Ricky
04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
It's always nice to get some extra clams. :)

Matt
04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
As you guys can see...we just had a huge jump. An item donated set the record (so far) for auctions in DTbay.

Wonderful stuff. We're about to find out what it looks like when we go over the goal I think. :nana:

turtlex
04-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Up, up, up !
Congrats Matt !!

Edited to Add : HOLY MOLY, we're only 15 dollars away from the goal !!!

Brice
04-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I wonder if we'll make it. :unsure:

Matt
04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Our goal has been reached my friends. I can't believe this, its amazing.

We still have several more "pledges" in the pipeline, we should be going way over folks.

Well done everyone, well done. :grouphug:

ladysai
04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Our goal has been reached my friends. I can't believe this, its amazing.
:grouphug:
:excited:
Whoohoooo! Awesome!

Daghain
04-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Awesome!

Matt
04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Another HUGE auction just got paid for you guys, over 100% is going up!!

Daghain
04-28-2008, 09:25 AM
I love this. I'm curious to see how high it will go. :)

Patrick
04-28-2008, 09:34 AM

C'mon three grand!

Daghain
04-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Oh, that would be SWEET.

turtlex
04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Awesome. Just so totally cool !

alinda
04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Fanfreakingtastic ! :clap:

alinda
04-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Congratulations everyone, DT.com rocks!
So, are we still gonna do this Matt?

Also, I would like to send around a card for everyone who donated (reguardless of method) to the cause to sign--it will be included with the check.

Matt
04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Y'know, its funny.

I'm having a very hard time getting address from the entrants and I don't want to do it since we can't get everyone. :(

That piece may have to go by the wayside

MonteGss
04-28-2008, 05:52 PM
So, if any of the entries/winners don't give you their address, you just draw again, right Matt? Or would it just be easier to just send me their prizes? :lol:

turtlex
04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Hey if folks are not giving their addresses, feel free to fill in mine when they win something :)

Nerak
04-29-2008, 03:46 AM
uh uh, I already claimed all the prizes that aren't claimed! I did, I did!!

alinda
04-29-2008, 03:51 AM
*gets in that line* I am sure
that you have my address ;)

blackrose22
04-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Finally made a donation. It's been a while since I've had some spare cash and have been meaning to make a donation since I joined the site. With a bit of luck it will hit the $3,000 mark before long.

alinda
04-29-2008, 04:47 AM
If my beam buck were real I'd donate them all!

You Have: $9911

Storyslinger
04-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Congrats! Its awesome that we reached the goal. Way to go everyone! :clap:

Matt
04-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Finally made a donation. It's been a while since I've had some spare cash and have been meaning to make a donation since I joined the site. With a bit of luck it will hit the $3,000 mark before long.

Thanks so much for the donation, I'll add it to the total here in just a bit. :fairy:

blackrose22
04-29-2008, 05:44 AM
Just glad to help as its a worthy cause Matt.

Matt
04-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Between Brice and blackrose-we are up to 108.2 % :nana:

And I still have at least 200.00 out in stuff coming in the mail!!

turtlex
04-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Big Group Hug, People !!!

Erin
04-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Wow! I go out of the country and we pass the goal!

Congrats TDT.com!

Matt
04-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Just recieved another huge donation to pay for an auction--+ extra.

This person has been instrumental in this fund raiser even though they live outside the US. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and I hope you enjoy the items you bought.

Randall Flagg
05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I had a "mystery guest" donate $100. I sent the check to Matt.
He can announce who it is when he reads his PM.
Woo Hoo!:excited: :excited: :excited:

Daghain
05-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh, the suspense! :panic:

alinda
05-04-2008, 02:33 PM
come on, come on read your PM already Matt,
and tell us wont you please?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/aviadlahav/R8gPmtZAOcI/AAAAAAAABk8/O_kKqvAz1_8/Picture%20316.jpg?imgmax=640

Matt
05-04-2008, 02:47 PM
:lol: This is really exciting you guys.

Jerome (Randall Flagg for those who don't know) has informed me that he asked Joe Hill if he could donate to our fund raiser. The answer was "yes" and he sent over a check for 100.00 :rock:

That bar is going to climb here in just a bit. :thumbsup:

Along with the note to Jerome below.

The generosity! I can't believe how far this has gone and how many people it has touched. There is no way for me to describe how cool this is.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3558/joehillletterso1.jpg

Daghain
05-04-2008, 02:51 PM
SWEET!!!!!!

Matt
05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Seriously!

I'm so jazzed about it--it really kind of illustrates the depth of dedication we have been able to muster towards this thing as a site.

very, very cool

alinda
05-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Kudo's once again !!

Heather19
05-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow, that is very nice!
I think there's a very good chance the $3000 mark will be hit.

ladysai
05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Seriously!

I'm so jazzed about it--it really kind of illustrates the depth of dedication we have been able to muster towards this thing as a site.

very, very cool

Good people+good work=awesome results! :rock:

turtlex
05-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Awesome!

Matt
05-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I wanted to mention that Ms. Mod on the SKMB is leaving tomorrow for London where she will have Robin Furth sign our grand prize in the drawing.

One of the things that makes the grand prize so special (besides the amazing King sig) is the fact that it will have big history. She is literally hand carrying this item for us on the site and I think all the members here should give her a large round of applause for her efforts.

Brice
05-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Oh, I agree! It is an amzing thing. :D

Daghain
05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Awesome!

Randall Flagg
05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I think all the members here should give her a large round of applause for her efforts.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Ms Mod!!!!

Brice
05-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I sent her a message over there, bu7t just in case she happens to look in here:

Thank you ms. mod. :)

turtlex
05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Ms.Mod - Thanks for all the help in making this a great fundraiser!

And thank you, Matt, for starting it out !

Matt
05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks you guys :wub:

I hope she is really feeling the love for this. That prize is going to have an amazing amount of sentimental value for all the work that was put into creating it.

Matt
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
As you can see from the marquee and stuff. Our fund raiser has now gone over

$3000.00

:nana: :rock: :nana: :rock: :thumbsup: :grouphug:

alinda
05-05-2008, 05:52 PM
SWEET!

ladysai
05-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Whoohooo!
Happy dance time!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ladysai/calvindances.gif
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ladysai/chdance4tz.gif
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ladysai/hobbes.gif

Nerak
05-06-2008, 06:17 AM
http://tigerettes.homestead.com/images/tigger.gif
tiggerific!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daghain
05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
:panic:

WOOHOO!!!!!

blackrose22
05-06-2008, 09:29 AM
That's a lot of donations:thumbsup: . Wonder what the final figure will be?

Rjeso
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Three times the original goal, and well over the modified one. That's pretty frickin' amazing. Well done, guys!

alinda
05-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I know right? I am so very proud of DT.com !

Matt
05-07-2008, 07:40 AM
It really is the coolest thing I have ever been involved in. So rewarding!

Just wanted to let you guys know we are still receiving donations, I am about to update the bar now. :rock:

Patrick
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
King's Constant Readers are a caring, compassionate group, so I am not at all surprised to see this fundraiser skyrocket past the THREE GRAND mark for such a worthy cause as the Haven Foundation.

Thank you to everyone who has donated their time, artistry, donation items, and funds to make this event such an outstanding success.

Special thanks to the Directors for organizing this huge event and to Ms. Mod at SKMB for her assistance in making the wonderful grand prize even grander.

Matt
05-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Its been a roaring success to be sure.

We are down to one week until the giveaway everyone. If you have been waiting to get in, now is the time.

That amazing list of items is going to be given away next Saturday so lets all dig deep and get in if we can. :grouphug:

Darkthoughts
05-10-2008, 01:09 PM
This is soooo cool Matt! Its like a mini Christmas :D

alinda
05-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I've lost the amazing list

Patrick
05-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Did you look in the glove compartment?

Rjeso
05-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Eh, alls she has to do to find the Amazing List is click on the "Member List" link.

Patrick
05-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Eh, alls she has to do to find the Amazing List is click on the "Member List" link.
Good one. :thumbsup:

Matt
05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Just received another donation and we have almost 100.00 out in uncollected stuff. Looks like we are going over $3100.00 :rock:

MonteGss
05-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Wow!! :o
To think...the first goal was a measly $1k! This place rules!

Matt
05-12-2008, 07:58 AM
I know!! I'm totally blown away and I think after this weekend is over, I may simply collapse into some sort of spacial anomaly. :lol:

MonteGss
05-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Matt! Don't do that! We need you around here!
How about you just drown your emotions in a bunch of whiskey during the drawings and then move on? :lol:

turtlex
05-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Matt - please move away from the wormhole !
Over 3000... an amazing accomplishment!

Nerak
05-12-2008, 12:38 PM
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
freakin
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
05-12-2008, 12:40 PM
It's cool you guys don't want me sucked into another dimension. :wub:

Its going to be hard to double that number next year for sure.

Daghain
05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Nah, I bet we can triple it. :lol:

Matt
05-12-2008, 02:48 PM
That's the sprit!!

With Erin's auction payment, we are over 125% of the goal. Wow!!

turtlex
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I think the fundraiser is a great tradition to start. Way to go!

Matt
05-15-2008, 06:13 AM

We just had another large donation--thank you so much!!

I am amazed daily by this thing.

Matt
05-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Thought you guys might enjoy this

http://www.thedarktower.org/images/give/chart.JPG