PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Rebound

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

zelig
04-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Who owns a copy?

#OwnerPrinterS/LARandall FlaggArcata Hawkins147BBr!anArcata Hawkins-CICry4OyArcata Fairfield-Dfiremonkey66Arcata Fairfield165EGeorge at C-SpringsArcata Fairfield7Fjsmcmullen92Arcata Hawkins589GAstroDadArcata Fairfield965HwolfehrHaddon-Icit74Haddon624Jbecca69Arcata Hawkins164KSentinel--LBeverly Marsh (sold)Haddon-MStroppyGoblinArcata Fairfield69NneedfulthingsArcata Fairfield195OjcmanskeArcata Hawkins8, 104P---Q---Reast-tennesseeHaddon-SzeligHaddon-THONKYTONKSMASH--Uke7285Haddon956VTommyHaddon-W---X---Ykingfan24Haddon-Zruderabbit--RCRandall FlaggHaddon-RCHavenHaddon-RCDavid Palladini--RC-Arcata Fairfield-

Arcata Hawkins5Arcata Fairfield7Haddon10
############################################

I have been working on this project for quite a few months now, and I want to share the details with you guys.

As some of you know, The Eyes of the Dragon was my first King book and it's what got this crazy ride started for me back in 1987. I wanted to do something to pay homage to the book that had such an impact on my life.

It has been quite a process to get to this point in the project as I'm a great procrastinator, and it has also required a huge amount of time. More than I expected at the outset.

My plan is to rebind 24 copies of the Viking 1st trade edition of The Eyes of the Dragon, with 20 being made available to forum members who are interested. There will be 10 of each style and I won't plan on making any more, so it will be a limited rebound edition.

There will be two different bindings, both full leather. Prototypes pictured below.

Rebind #1:
Full leather binding using a textured leather to resemble the look of alligator skin. Raised bands on the spine with gold lines. Hand marbled endpapers and machine woven silk headbands with red and green striping. The final book will have the title and author printed on the spine. Custom cloth slipcase.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/prototype_1_zpsmswiwki2.jpg

Rebind #2:
Full leather binding using genuine cayman skin on the boards and cowhide leather for the spine. Raised bands on the spine with gold lines. Hand marbled endpapers and machine woven silk headbands with red and green striping. The final book will have the title and author printed on the spine. Custom cloth slipcase.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/prototype_2_zpsln1xhouq.jpg

A note on the prototypes:

The images above are small prototypes that my bookbinder made so that we have an idea on the overall aesthetic. The final binding will be more refined in terms of quality, and each book will be unique due to the differences in leather textures, etc.

This will give you an idea on the size of these prototypes. I suppose we can call these rebinding proofs!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/prototype_size_zpssamt07g5.jpg

Part 2 will follow. There's still more to the plan involving David Palladini, the original artist, and I'll post details on that soon.

Hope you guys like the idea and I look forward to your comments!

Shannon
04-07-2016, 06:07 PM
A) These are absolutely stunning. Great job!

B) Not to be a buzzkill, but aren't you going to run into any sort of legal issues here?

dnemec
04-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Wow, Paul! Those are both amazing, but that green one is my favorite!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Phalucha
04-07-2016, 06:13 PM
You can put me down for a green one - love it.

jcmanske
04-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Amazing project, Paul! They both look spectacular!

frik
04-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Excellent, Paul.
Personally, do not like the first one too much (Green is my least favorite color...), but love the second.
Great job!

sk

firemonkey66
04-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Wow, very cool. This book is also one of my King cornerstone favorites, I'm glad to see it getting special treatment! (I'll take the green, my favorite color:))

George at C-Springs
04-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Wow, that is beautiful Paul, love the green dragon skin and, whether on purpose or not, what looks like dragon eyes all along the spine. If not on purpose, go for that with the final! Please put my name down as interested in one when they become available! And, need I say it, for a proof as well :-) EOTD was my very first S/L, good old #7, love it!

peripheral
04-07-2016, 09:56 PM
These are gorgeous. I love your passion and committment. Well done Paul.

stroppygoblin
04-08-2016, 12:04 AM
I dont like it. :nope:

BECAUSE I LOVE IT!!!!!! put me down as interested in a Green version.

Any ideas on price right now?

jonp
04-08-2016, 12:58 AM
Very nice, Paul. So that's what you've been working on. The top one reminds me of the lettered Dean Koontz's Frankenstein Scripts.

Brian861
04-08-2016, 01:11 AM
I'd be very much interested in a green copy as well, Paul. Outstanding work, my friend and congrats on a fantastic project! No doubt it had to be quite the undertaking.

Ben Mears
04-08-2016, 03:11 AM
Excellent planning and execution. It is labor of love projects like this that make TDT.org such an interesting and enjoyable place to visit.

webstar1000
04-08-2016, 03:17 AM
JUst wow. I AM IN...

jsmcmullen92
04-08-2016, 04:35 AM
I am in for a green as well!

Those are amazing Paul

Randall Flagg
04-08-2016, 04:55 AM

B) Not to be a buzzkill, but aren't you going to run into any sort of legal issues here?
Why?

If you buy 24 new cars, then paint them all a better color and put snake skin upholstery in them and then sell them as a private party that would be legal.

Ben Staad
04-08-2016, 05:07 AM
Those are amazing. Nice work!

Theli
04-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Like everyone else here, I am absolutely astounded! I would love to get in on the deal. Both are stunning, but I think I prefer option two with cowhide and cayman skin binding.

Anubis2347
04-08-2016, 05:22 AM
I would be in for a green as well.

Beverly Marsh
04-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Pardon my French but Holy &%$#. Those are amazing! I'm ascared to know the price....

Fine work sir!

brionen
04-08-2016, 06:46 AM
I'm interested in the green one, as well - provided my budget can handle it.

EOTD wasn't my first King book, but it was my first Hardcover purchase. I've always loved the dragon-scale texture on the cover - it's cool seeing it being taken a step further with the leather texture.

RC65
04-08-2016, 06:48 AM

Why?

If you buy 24 new cars, then paint them all a better color and put snake skin upholstery in them and then sell them as a private party that would be legal.

True, but cars aren't protected by copyright infringement laws. I'd be concerned as well; before you sink a lot of money into the project, Zelig, you may want to just touch base with a copyright attorney. Probably nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry.

Theli
04-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Hasn't there been other rebound copies? I know Amereon did the Gunslinger, there's the 'Salem's Lot CP edition rebinding, and Outlook seem to do rebound editions relatively frequently. Hell, Jerome has done a couple rebound copies, like The Bachman books for this years fundraiser.

Robert Fulman
04-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Copyright is a non-issue, as there are no copies being made. As long as he owns the physical books, he has the right to do whatever he wants to them before selling them again. That would include re-binding them.

First-Sale Doctrine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine)

webstar1000
04-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Copyright is a non-issue, as there are no copies being made. As long as he owns the physical books, he has the right to do whatever he wants to them before selling them again. That would include re-binding them.

First-Sale Doctrine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine)

Not be mention... the binder would be the one re-creating the work and selling it no?

zelig
04-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Wow guys, I'm blown away by all your responses and enthusiasm! I tell you, throughout this project I had a lot of negative self-talk and came up with all the reasons why I can't do this. I did my best to ignore the voices, and based on what I'm seeing here, I'm pleased I did. Thank you.

A couple things I'd like to respond to:

Copyright: As others have said, this is a non-issue. I'm not reprinting the book. I'm rebinding copies of the 1st edition. No different to what Jerome has done recently with The Stand and The Bachman Books. And besides, the whole King world is too sacred for me to go stomping around breaking rules.

Price: I've had a lot of members asking about price. I'm in the middle of working out those details and as soon as I have a number, I'll post it.

Thanks again for all the positive responses. Means a lot.

herbertwest
04-08-2016, 08:53 AM
I think that there is still a main difference with Jerome's rebinding etc. He did a couple, and "gave" them away in auction.
Here, you plan on create 24-25 so sort of like a limited edition, and sell them. Not only for personal use.

I too a bit concerned about issues on this project : tomorrow I can therefore create my own 52 limited set of "lettered" rebound copies, I dont need to bother asking King's authorisation nor paying him fees. I am no expert, but it does sound like a slippery rope to me. I guess that it may be a grey area.

Otherwise, I do like the green copy. It does look like dragon's skin.

webstar1000
04-08-2016, 08:57 AM
I think that there is still a main difference with Jerome's rebinding etc. He did a couple, and "gave" them away in auction.
Here, you plan on create 24-25 so sort of like a limited edition, and sell them. Not only for personal use.

I too a bit concerned about issues on this project : tomorrow I can therefore create my own 52 limited set of "lettered" rebound copies, I dont need to bother asking King's authorisation nor paying him fees. I am no expert, but it does sound like a slippery rope to me. I guess that it may be a grey area.

But RF did not "give" anything away. He auctioned it off.. for a price. What would be the difference?

stroppygoblin
04-08-2016, 08:58 AM

There are many instances of people 'upselling' rebound books, eBay is full of them (including DT books). Paul is not trying to pass these off as his own work and is not changing the content in anyway. You can legally re-sell a book without copyright issues, if you choose to put a brodart cover on it, or a sumptuous leather binding, there is no real difference.

mattgreenbean
04-08-2016, 10:57 AM
F yeah - This is the reason I come to the site everyday, to see the awesome, totally obsessed things us King fans think of to do. I want to do something like this as well but don't have the time or know how. If you can craft one of these for a reasonable fee, I would pay for one. I vote for the green skin.

killjoy72
04-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Great idea Paul!
I love the green also, but I highly doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.

herbertwest
04-08-2016, 11:37 AM
There are many instances of people 'upselling' rebound books, eBay is full of them (including DT books). Paul is not trying to pass these off as his own work and is not changing the content in anyway. You can legally re-sell a book without copyright issues, if you choose to put a brodart cover on it, or a sumptuous leather binding, there is no real difference.

IMO, there is a difference between doing one and doing a more important number of it.
One can just be the one from your personal collection you are selling off.
It's totally different from purposely doing 25 to sell them.

But RF did not "give" anything away. He auctioned it off.. for a price. What would be the difference?

I thought they started at 0.99 on ebay, and the moment goes to the fundraiser so it goes to charity. Obviously I am saying this without checking, so I could be totally wrong.

Anyway, it's just my two cents.

Randall Flagg
04-08-2016, 01:00 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, but IMO, your interpretation of USA copyright law is wrong.
Laws are not feelings. Laws are generally written, not "felt".

ruderabbit
04-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Are both versions going to be available, or just one, once you decide which you like better?

I like them both. I think maybe silver would look better with the green though. Probably personal preference kicking in, as I don't care for yellow gold.

Beautiful project though...wtg :clap:

Mark

ps...definately want one.

ICry4Oy
04-08-2016, 01:46 PM
My gods I love the green!!!!!!!!!!

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2016, 01:47 PM
I like them too! And would likely buy one or the other when the details are known.

becca69
04-08-2016, 01:56 PM
I would like one - I prefer the green.

biomieg
04-08-2016, 02:29 PM
I really like both but would probably go for the black'n'red version.

Randall Flagg
04-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Keep in mind that it will be challenging to place title and author in a readable font size on the spine that will be very narrow and has raised hubs. The hubs prevent (inhibit) vertical type. The book width makes horizontal type difficult.

Phalucha
04-08-2016, 02:48 PM
I hesitate to comment on foreign copyright laws but I don't see any violation...especially since nothing is actually being copied. If no new copies being created it would be hard to argue copyright has been infringed. King has been compensated already.

zelig
04-08-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm pleased to hear all the positive responses and that you guys like the look of the books. I have some work to do now to finalize things. This has given me a kick in the pants which I needed. I will provide updates and I plan to keep things moving along at a steady pace.

Are both versions going to be available, or just one, once you decide which you like better?

I like them both. I think maybe silver would look better with the green though. Probably personal preference kicking in, as I don't care for yellow gold.

Beautiful project though...wtg :clap:

Mark

ps...definately want one.

Hey Mark. Just wanted to answer your question. Yes, both versions will be available. So you have a choice. Either one or both. Also noted on the silver. Will consider that.

Keep in mind that it will be challenging to place title and author in a readable font size on the spine that will be very narrow and has raised hubs. The hubs prevent (inhibit) vertical type. The book width makes horizontal type difficult.

Good point Jerome. When I discussed the lettering with the bookbinder he didn't seem to think it would be an issue but I will double check before he makes any. Thanks for mentioning that.

sentinel
04-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Hey Paul,
I'm late to the party, I love them! Count me in for a green one too!

CurtSeattle
04-08-2016, 06:39 PM
If you don't sell it and just make it for yourself then zero copyright risk I guess. Not sure how that works as I have to think Grant/Subterranean/Centipede/etc Press type business MUST get permission for their books, but they are actually printing the pages vs you are just rebinding already printed and paid for pages. Similar to ancient books being rebound I imagine would be the best argument. I did one in Eastern Asian Sea Snake skin just for me. #1 (of only 1) of this special "Limited" edition. :)

(not professionally bound at all, but I managed to glue it and get it to stay together so far. haha!)

http://s21.postimg.org/qiwtsgphj/IMG_20160208_180114146.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s21.postimg.org/3mola4miv/IMG_20160208_180222403.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s21.postimg.org/r26ifh69z/IMG_20160208_180323769.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Jon
04-08-2016, 07:48 PM
I am rather excited by all this, sir.

am not too keen on the colors of rebind 2 but rebind 1 looks good enough to eat!

I love the uniqueness of the different bindings due to the skin.

bugen
04-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Those are incredible, I love them both! This was my first King as well, which made me check out the only other King my library had (Skeleton Crew), which got me banned from reading King.

Great project!

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Those are amazing Paul! Like everyone else Id be interested as well. Bravo!

becca69
04-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Looks like more want green than the black/red... can you do more of one than the other?

zelig
04-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys... and Curt, nice homemade job there. I'm sure it has special meaning as you made it yourself.

Looks like more want green than the black/red... can you do more of one than the other?

Becca, good question. I've been thinking about this the past couple of days. I never expected the sort of response I received on this project so I was a little taken aback. The simple answer is yes. I will make them based on the confirmed orders I receive. I really want everyone who wants one to get one. But at the same time, it's not going to be an open-ended thing where I make an "unlimited" number. My initial plan was 10 of each. It may end up that this number will change based on demand.

And just so you guys know, I'm not getting rich over this. Like I said on my first post, it's a homage to the book that started it all for me, and also as I get into it and I am seeing your enthusiastic feedback, I'm just excited about being able to create something that will be a source of excitement for what we all love.

Br!an
04-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Very cool!

I'd like one. Not sure which. Both have their charms.

There is absolutely no copyright infringement. You are not copying or printing anything. Resale of books is legal. Rebinding books has been done since books were first created. The real point is whether you are harming King's copyright. I can see no rational argument that you are doing so.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/Copyright-Fair-Use-Appropriation-Derivation-Transformation-amp-Trademark-Patent-Law (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18644-Copyright-Fair-Use-Appropriation-Derivation-Transformation-amp-Trademark-Patent-Law)

AstroDad
04-09-2016, 06:00 PM
I am also interested in one pending the price if any are available (prefer green if possible)

TCCBodhi
04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
I'm tentatively in, dependent on pricing, on the Green one as first choice.

Looks brilliant. . As far as the Author/Title on the Spine, I'd rather leave it off completely if it looks wonky, or even just replace it with a 'dragon' logo much like the artwork that has been done for Jeff's slipcovers; much simplified of course, due to size.

Brian861
04-12-2016, 01:55 AM
I'm tentatively in, dependent on pricing, on the Green one as first choice. Looks brilliant. . As far as the Author/Title on the Spine, I'd rather leave it off completely if it looks wonky, or even just replace it with a 'dragon' logo much like the artwork that has been done for Jeff's slipcovers; much simplified of course, due to size.

I'd agree with that. Sometimes less is better; depending on the look of course.

zelig
04-12-2016, 06:59 AM
I had an hour long call with the bookbinder yesterday and we talked about the spine. He doesn't have any concerns about it. We will make one actual book binding first before he works on all the others so we can make sure it looks good. I can post a picture at that point so you guys can see what it looks like with the lettering.

Theli
04-12-2016, 07:02 AM
I look forward to seeing this "Proof" copy :-)

wolfehr
04-13-2016, 12:02 PM
These are awesome! I'm definitely interested in a copy (assuming price isn't prohibitive) and green is definitively my preference.

Brian861
04-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Do you have a layaway plan, Paul? :).

zelig
04-13-2016, 02:33 PM

Actually, yes I might be able to provide something like that.

zelig
04-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Project update: I'm hoping to have pricing ready by the end of the week.

Aronstg
04-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Project update: I'm hoping to have pricing ready by the end of the week.

Hurrah!

Brian861
04-13-2016, 03:06 PM

Actually, yes I might be able to provide something like that.

Half in jest, half in seriousness; still, great to know.

ICry4Oy
04-14-2016, 11:10 AM
These are awesome! I'm definitely interested in a copy (assuming price isn't prohibitive) and green is definitively my preference.

Ditto on all comments^

zelig
04-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks for being patient. I find myself spending more time each day on the project as we're moving closer to getting it done. I have the pricing worked out:

Rebind #1: $425
Rebind #2: $575

Hopefully this is around what you guys were expecting. The genuine cayman skin costs more, so that one is higher. The green version (#1) is definitely the more popular of the two, so it's good that one is priced lower.

I also have an update for you. I met with David Palladini yesterday and he has agreed to sign all copies! His signature on the book is rare. He says that he has never signed the book in any significant quantity. As far as he can recall, he has only signed copies for friends over the years.

Lastly, I plan on providing some sort of "layaway" plan for those who could benefit from it. I know a lot of you are excited about owning one of these and I want to remove as many hurdles as possible from making that happen.

I'll have an update soon on next steps, timeframe and how to order a copy.

Thanks guys.

Beverly Marsh
04-15-2016, 08:47 AM
That is awesome about getting Palladini's signature! Congratulations!
I would love to get a green one. If you're making a list of who wants put me on it please :)

Randall Flagg
04-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Zelig, have you already obtained the books, and if so, what is the condition of the page blocks?

becca69
04-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Zelig, have you already obtained the books, and if so, what is the condition of the page blocks?

I was wondering this myself... it would be cool if the pages could be sprayed or gilt.

Would also love to pay a bit extra for a small remarque (nothing elaborate). I'm in for green.

webstar1000
04-15-2016, 09:13 AM
That is just awesome Paul... BOOM!!

Beverly Marsh
04-15-2016, 09:33 AM

I was wondering this myself... it would be cool if the pages could be sprayed or gilt.

Would also love to pay a bit extra for a small remarque (nothing elaborate). I'm in for green.

This is also a brilliant idea :thumbsup: I would do it too! The sig itself will be nice to have though.

zelig
04-15-2016, 09:55 AM

Hey RF...I bought a bunch of them around the time I first had the idea for the project. A couple of days ago I was going through them more closely and some aren't up to par so I removed those copies. I bought a few more and just waiting for them to come in. I've done my best to find copies that have a really clean page block.

I've thrown around the idea of coloring the page edges. We experimented with this early on and it didn't look good so the bookbinder is going to try a different method. I'll keep you posted if anything transpires on this front.

zelig
04-15-2016, 09:56 AM

I've had a few people ask me this. No surprise right! This would be cool, but here's the deal on having David do a drawing in the book. I had asked him this when we first discussed it, but unfortunately due to advancing age his right hand has a tremor and he simply cannot draw anymore. He is such a great guy and he even tried to draw something a few times to see if he could manage it, but he couldn't. He can do a signature, and considering his physical challenge, I think it was really nice of him to offer that. Having his signature will make it even more unique.

webstar1000
04-15-2016, 10:04 AM

I've had a few people ask me this. No surprise right! This would be cool, but here's the deal on having David do a drawing in the book. I had asked him this when we first discussed it, but unfortunately due to advancing age his right hand has a tremor and he simply cannot draw anymore. He is such a great guy and he even tried to draw something a few times to see if he could manage it, but he couldn't. He can do a signature, and considering his physical challenge, I think it was really nice of him to offer that. Having his signature will make it even more unique.

Poor guy... thank him on behalf of us for doing this. This is a wonderful project and your right... having him sign it is pretty darn cool!!!

Brian861
04-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Paul for all the updates. I think the pricing is extremely reasonable considering the limited status. Even more so with the sig. I foresee a lot of P&J post once this baby is in our hands :D.

becca69
04-15-2016, 11:00 AM

That's really nice he is going to sign then!

jcmanske
04-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Nice work, Paul. It's sounds like this is well on its way to being a very special treasure for those who are interested. I have no doubt that lotguy is already making arrangements to have his signed ;) I'm looking forward to adding a green one to my collection. Thank you for all your hard work and preparation.

Beverly Marsh
04-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Paul for all the updates. I think the pricing is extremely reasonable considering the limited status. Even more so with the sig. I foresee a lot of P&J post once this baby is in our hands :D.
Lol, definitely! Maybe I will have learned how to post a picture by then :)
Assuming Paul sells me one that is...and you know what they say about assumptions!

Beverly Marsh
04-15-2016, 11:12 AM

Sad story but with a happy ending. Like Kris said, please thank him for us!

webstar1000
04-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Nice work, Paul. It's sounds like this is well on its way to being a very special treasure for those who are interested. I have no doubt that lotguy is already making arrangements to have his signed ;) I'm looking forward to adding a green one to my collection. Thank you for all your hard work and preparation.

Maybe Lot Guy could get them signed for us? LOL

AstroDad
04-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Looking forward to being able to order.

Do you plan to include a limitation page of some sort?

Randall Flagg
04-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Zelig, how are you putting people in the queue for ordering?

Br!an
04-15-2016, 01:57 PM

By payment?

zelig
04-15-2016, 02:01 PM

I'm open to suggestions. I want everyone to have a fair chance at getting one so what I was planning was to provide a link to place the order (most likely a PayPal button) but I would give everyone a heads up as to the date and time I will post it. That way no one is caught off-guard. I think that's the fairest. Of course I'm open to suggestions.

becca69
04-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Maybe you could first send the link (PM?) to those who replied in this thread who wanted one and give them a fixed amount of time to place their order then open it up?

Randall Flagg
04-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Zelig, Since you are using my site to roll out this venture (not like CD or PS who launch their own announcements and then later they are mentioned here) my suggestion is that the people who PM'd you confirming they wanted one (and you responded in agreement) get first option. If they decline, then a "first come first serve" web order page is fine.
I know what date/time I PM'd you and received a confirmation response from you.
Hopefully other members did the same.

J

Lookwhoitis
04-15-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm in for a green one. :D

Brian861
04-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Zelig, Since you are using my site to roll out this venture (not like CD or PS who launch their own announcements and then later they are mentioned here) my suggestion is that the people who PM'd you confirming they wanted one (and you responded in agreement) get first option. If they decline, then a "first come first serve" web order page is fine.
I know what date/time I PM'd you and received a confirmation response from you.
Hopefully other members did the same.

J

As well as those of us who responded in the thread as well I hope.

Sir_Boomme
04-16-2016, 05:34 AM
OK.... first they are lovely rebindings... and I am interested for sure in either/or both (depending on pricing and my finances at the time.

That said... THERE IS NO COPYRIGHT infringements... nothing is being plagiarized.... nothing is being reprinted!
changing a books binding is no different then making a fancy slipcase for a book which is done ALL the time by CD, overlook, etc etc etc.

basically he is resaling a used book... which is completely legal.... (NOT reprinting any material) with a fancy custom attached slipcase.

zelig
04-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Based on advice I received, members who indicated their interest via posting or PM will get right of first refusal. I have made a list of all posts and PM's that I have received at this point and have noted the date/time. I will send a PM to those members who will then have 48 hours to order. Any that are left after that will be available on a first come first served basis.

I will also be donating one of the copies that isn't for sale to the 2017 Haven Fund auction (too late for this year's), so anyone who misses out, you'll still have another opportunity.

I'm planning on sending details via PM in about two weeks.

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks.

TCCBodhi
04-18-2016, 01:45 PM
I will also be donating one of the copies that isn't for sale to the 2017 Haven Fund auction . Thank you profusely for your generosity to the 2017 Haven Fund. Hopefully we'll all be in better positions next year! (It's breaking my heart that The Stand package isn't higher than it is.) :(

herbertwest
04-19-2016, 07:22 AM
You are entitled to your opinion, but IMO, your interpretation of USA copyright law is wrong.
Laws are not feelings. Laws are generally written, not "felt".

Well, i'll have to disagree with that. Yes, laws are written. However, those are just texts. What follows, is the interpretation that lawyers do, the interpretation that the court does based on arguments of lawyers, and the interpretation based on previous cases. So, no matter what is 'written', the application is always based on interpretation.

But indeed, the fact that there is nothing printed is interesting I think, and that's the main argument I guess.

herbertwest
04-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Being nosy, are the copies all gone or are there still left?

Beverly Marsh
04-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Hopefully my stalking has paid off and one of these will be mine :belial:

Tommy
04-19-2016, 09:44 AM
I don't know if it's funny or sad but my dream last night had this book in it. I dreamed I was explaining the two different versions, materials used and the pricing to someone. I think I might be losing my mind.
:ft:

needfulthings
04-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I don't know Dr. They found him on his bedroom floor YELLING about...REBINDING SOMETHINGS EYES.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/4499/fA63Ju.jpg

Tommy
04-19-2016, 11:09 AM
I don't know Dr. They found him on his bedroom floor YELLING about...REBINDING SOMETHINGS EYES.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/4499/fA63Ju.jpg

Ha! I bet I would not be the first (or last) King collector to wind up in the mad house.

zelig
04-19-2016, 12:57 PM
I will also be donating one of the copies that isn't for sale to the 2017 Haven Fund auction . Thank you profusely for your generosity to the 2017 Haven Fund.

Happy to do so!

I don't know if it's funny or sad but my dream last night had this book in it. I dreamed I was explaining the two different versions, materials used and the pricing to someone. I think I might be losing my mind.

That's funny. I think we've all probably had a Stephen King dream over the years. For me I once dreamed that he came to my house and signed all my books!

Tommy
04-19-2016, 01:03 PM
I will also be donating one of the copies that isn't for sale to the 2017 Haven Fund auction . Thank you profusely for your generosity to the 2017 Haven Fund.

Happy to do so!

That's funny. I think we've all probably had a Stephen King dream over the years. For me I once dreamed that he came to my house and signed all my books!

Best dream EVER!

becca69
04-19-2016, 01:04 PM
I've had that same dream.:rofl:

Br!an
04-19-2016, 05:15 PM
I had a dream where King was trying to get my signature. :wtf:

To tell the truth he was kind of a pain in the ass.:innocent:

Randall Flagg
04-19-2016, 05:33 PM
I had a dream where King was trying to get my signature. :wtf:

To tell the truth he was kind of a pain in the ass.:innocent:
I had a similar dream. King and Lot Guy were both vying for my signature.
I blew King off and signed 6 books for Matt.

Shannon
04-19-2016, 11:00 PM
Weird, I had a dream where I was blown off by Jerome.

Br!an
04-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Weird, I had a dream where I was blown off by Jerome.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Theli
04-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately at this time I'll have to buckle down and say I can't afford a copy, despite how much I would like to get one.

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2016, 08:37 AM
I think the only way to justify that amount of money is if it has a ribbon page marker... [emoji14] :wtf:
Great work Paul I'm excited to see the finished product

webstar1000
04-25-2016, 08:39 AM
I think the only way to justify that amount of money is if it has a ribbon page marker... [emoji14] :wtf:

Better have one. I want mine to look like a Dragon tongue!

jsmcmullen92
04-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Can we also add pyrotechnics?

wolfehr
04-25-2016, 08:41 AM

Should not have read that while eating soup :lol:

needfulthings
04-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Paul
Just how will the rebinding go? 30 books being rebound... 15 &15 or will they be rebound according to the number of styles ordered SAY 25 & 5?

zelig
04-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Bruce, according to the number of styles ordered. That way everyone gets what they want.

needfulthings
04-25-2016, 10:14 AM
:thumbsup:
How about a (WHITE?) Linen slipcase? This book was originally going to be called "NAPKINS" (Embroidered SK?)

zelig
04-26-2016, 10:32 AM
How about a (WHITE?) Linen slipcase? This book was originally going to be called "NAPKINS" (Embroidered SK?)

Sure I can do white, although embroidering would push the cost up. I'm open to any color. I was planning on red and green. Green for #1 and red for #2. Here's some samples of the linen material.

White
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/white_zpsquryso80.jpg

Chili Pepper
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/red2_zps244u9ug0.jpg

Red
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/red_zpsl1wlz2gg.jpg

Green
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/green_zps0w7gg4ot.jpg

becca69
04-26-2016, 10:54 AM
I guess I would prefer the green for the green edition (unless there is a gold linen). I would rather not have white - hard to keep clean.

wolfehr
04-26-2016, 10:55 AM
I agree with becca.

webstar1000
04-26-2016, 11:10 AM
I agree as well... and embroidered is a great idea:) hehe

Randall Flagg
04-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Don't do a slipcase, or a traycase. The book itself is art.

firemonkey66
04-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Don't do a slipcase, or a traycase. The book itself is art.

I tend to agree with Jerome. A slipcase might hide the book too much. Maybe if it had a window in it to see part of the cover? That might be cool.

stroppygoblin
04-26-2016, 11:55 PM
my preference is a tray case for this kind of quality book - it may be art, but it needs protection! I'm afraid this will push the cost even higher though :(

webstar1000
04-27-2016, 03:31 AM
my preference is a tray case for this kind of quality book - it may be art, but it needs protection! I'm afraid this will push the cost even higher though :(

I agree too but it must have at least a slipcase... and you can make those even works of art if you want too...

Beverly Marsh
04-27-2016, 11:42 AM
To slipcase or not to slipcase? Tis something to ponder. I agree that the book is something I want to be able to see on the shelf because it is HOT but it also needs to stay protected.
Maybe I missed it somewhere but were you originally planning to do a slipcase Paul or are you adding it as an extra for those that want one?

zelig
04-27-2016, 11:56 AM
A slipcase was part of the original plan and is included with the book. So I'm going to include it because that was part of the deal. Of course, you can choose either to use it or not but if you ordered the book, it will come with a slipcase.

Beverly Marsh
04-27-2016, 12:01 PM
A slipcase was part of the original plan and is included with the book. So I'm going to include it because that was part of the deal. Of course, you can choose either to use it or not but if you ordered the book, it will come with a slipcase.
Great! Thank you. I completely missed it the first time around. :redface::excited:

zelig
04-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Everyone who expressed interest has now had an opportunity to order and almost all copies are gone. There's a few left for those who were not on the initial list. Anyone who is interested in getting a copy, please send me a PM to order. First come first served. Payment plan available.

webstar1000
04-28-2016, 07:46 AM
GOT MINE and cannot wait for this. I think the lettered copy will be a very cool book to own for the price:) Thanks Paul for all your hard work my man!

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Looking forward to this one for sure. Thanks again Paul!

jsmcmullen92
04-29-2016, 04:44 AM
Hey Paul,
One request. As you receive updates through Production can you update the first post of the thread so we can all be up to date? Also do you happen to have a round about time frame for when this is supposed to be out, I didn't see anything posted yet but I may have missed it?
Thanks!
Josh

firemonkey66
04-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Hey Paul,
One request. As you receive updates through Production can you update the first post of the thread so we can all be up to date? Also do you happen to have a round about time frame for when this is supposed to be out, I didn't see anything posted yet but I may have missed it?
Thanks!
Josh

I think he said June or July as the initial estimate.

needfulthings
04-29-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm still in for a white linen slipcase. How about embroidered dragon from original book cover? (say in green) EXTRA COST O.K.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/3600/CCwRga.jpg

webstar1000
04-29-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm still in for a white linen slipcase. How about embroidered dragon from original book cover? (say in green) EXTRA COST O.K.

I am on board with this 100%. I even can help as Paul knows!

becca69
04-29-2016, 11:22 AM
That would look fine stamped too... on green ;)

AstroDad
04-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Remind me to never take on a project like this, you guys would drive me nuts lol.

becca69
04-29-2016, 11:36 AM
:lol:

jsmcmullen92
04-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Ha I can only imagine how Mindy over at CD feels every time a SK announcement is made :wtf:

needfulthings
04-29-2016, 12:33 PM
:wtf:
Time to think OUTSIDE the box.... That has already been done.:doh:

Randall Flagg
04-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Remind me to never take on a project like this, you guys would drive me nuts lol.

Exactly.
You get 1,000 ideas. Some good, many bad, and perhaps one or two that help with doing your own personal vision.

ruderabbit
04-29-2016, 01:31 PM

On the spine, or on the sides? Or both.

Br!an
04-29-2016, 03:00 PM
That would be cool except it would have to be sufficiently different to avoid copyright issues.

Shannon
04-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Oh no, not the copyright talk again!

Dont you guys know that nothing is copywritten or trademarked as long as you make the final product pretty?

Lol, couldn't help it.

needfulthings
04-29-2016, 03:43 PM
If this Dragon design is by David Palladini? I think we will have no trouble using it as long as David says it's O.K.
ANSWER
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1190/GzcHQ2.jpg

Br!an
04-29-2016, 04:02 PM
It certainly doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't assume anything.

ke7285
04-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Excellent project Paul, order placed!

needfulthings
04-29-2016, 04:36 PM
It certainly doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't assume anything.
HELLO.. He has already agreed to SIGN the books.

zelig
05-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Say hello to my little friends....

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/IMG_7096_zpsbyqyf4vx.jpg

jsmcmullen92
05-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Are there any F/F Jackets in there?! :drool:

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Look at all those silver lettered variants! :emot-roflolmao:

webstar1000
05-04-2016, 08:24 AM

LOL I asked after the first post in this thread... been looking for this book in F/F for 1.5 years now... to no avail:( OH and he said none:(:( :cry:

zelig
05-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Look at all those silver lettered variants! :emot-roflolmao:

Good one Chad!

LOL I asked after the first post in this thread... been looking for this book in F/F for 1.5 years now... to no avail:( OH and he said none:(:( :cry:

I figured this question would come up! Unfortunately none of these jackets are in anything even remotely close to Fine. Further proof that a F jacket is super hard to find on this book.

Brian861
05-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Holy Mother of Dragons, Batman!

needfulthings
05-04-2016, 10:10 AM
I figured this question would come up! Unfortunately none of these jackets are in anything even remotely close to Fine. Further proof that a F jacket is super hard to find on this book.
:evil:
Let alone on all three variants.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6450/eO9x5Z.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/842/YbpXUz.jpg
Of course these were hand picked 29 years ago...But then you must remember....
AGE HAS IT'S PRIVALEGES.:lol:

webstar1000
05-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Let alone on all three variants.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6450/eO9x5Z.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/842/YbpXUz.jpg
Of course these were hand picked 29 years ago...But then you must remember....
AGE HAS IT'S PRIVALEGES.:lol:

You love to show off Bruce:) Never ceases to amaze me...

needfulthings
05-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Now that you know my motto....
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/7258/bE58pE.jpg
You may also like to know THAT post was posted "ESPECIALLY FOR YOU."
AND THE HUNT GOES ON. GOOD LUCK.:lol:
and remember in your case....
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4275/1K2qHr.jpg

Br!an
05-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Which reminds of...

"Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel is just a freight train coming your way."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhmigaacJc

wolfehr
05-05-2016, 11:49 AM
That stack of EOTDs.... :drool:

leghorn23
05-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Love the green, looks great! Well done I'm impressed

Jon
05-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Yes... there is a clear talent!!

zelig
05-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Progress update: Books have now been signed by David and are headed to the bookbinder. Things are moving along well.

firemonkey66
05-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Progress update: Books have now been signed by David and are headed to the bookbinder. Things are moving along well.

That is awesome news! I am amped for this book. Thank you for all your hard work!

needfulthings
05-13-2016, 09:52 AM
:excited:
1.Have they sold out yet?
2. Number of each style ordered?
3. Any update on slipcases?

Beverly Marsh
05-13-2016, 10:11 AM

What Anthony said!

zelig
05-13-2016, 10:15 AM
That is awesome news! I am amped for this book. Thank you for all your hard work!

What Anthony said!

No problem, and thanks for your enthusiasm!

1. Almost. There are 2 left.
2. 22 green, 2 red/black
3. I have to stay with the original plan of a custom cloth slipcase, no embroidery. It adds too much complexity. We can print on it, so I could have the binder make a couple as an upgrade but will see.

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-13-2016, 10:16 AM

ruderabbit
05-13-2016, 04:43 PM
This coming Monday should be three weeks for those of us that chose lay-a-way option.

webstar1000
05-13-2016, 05:17 PM
I am really pumped about this book. It's signed, slipcased, a 1st, looks from the pics to be slammin quality and lettered. Not to mention the price point at the option to pay in payments. Thanks so much Paul for all the hard work!!!!! Cannot wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Br!an
05-14-2016, 03:47 AM

1. Almost. There are 2 left.
2. 22 green, 2 red/black
3. I have to stay with the original plan of a custom cloth slipcase, no embroidery. It adds too much complexity. We can print on it, so I could have the binder make a couple as an upgrade but will see.

Interesting. I realized the green was more popular, but I didn't realize to what degree.

Br!an
05-14-2016, 03:51 AM
This coming Monday should be three weeks for those of us that chose lay-a-way option.

Thanks for pointing that out.

needfulthings
05-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the update...With the books going off to the bookbinder...Will 25 & 26 be held back until they are ordered or just bound in Dragon skin? I assume 27-30 (PC copies) will be 2 of each style?
A BIG SHOUT OUT to YOU & Mr. Palladini for this GEM that we will be proud to display in our collections.
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5378/LPFMBp.jpg

Br!an
05-14-2016, 01:57 PM
He said something about offering it for sale again once the first dibs were met. The last two should sell then.

zelig
05-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the update...With the books going off to the bookbinder...Will 25 & 26 be held back until they are ordered or just bound in Dragon skin? I assume 27-30 (PC copies) will be 2 of each style?
A BIG SHOUT OUT to YOU & Mr. Palladini for this GEM that we will be proud to display in our collections.

Thanks Bruce... yes, that's the plan.

webstar1000
05-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Hey Paul... You might have said but when are you hoping to ship them out?

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-15-2016, 04:25 PM
I think he said June? I could be wrong, maybe he said November. I'm feelin' June pretty good :emot-cthulhu:

zelig
05-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Yes, I had said June or July. Will likely be July. I will posts updates along the way.

ruderabbit
05-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Yes, I had said June or July. Will likely be July. I will posts updates along the way.

Christmas in July...love it. :rock:

AstroDad
06-06-2016, 07:09 PM
My last installment went today...that's always a nice feeling!

Brian861
06-06-2016, 08:08 PM

Good for you! It's going to be awesome edition. :).

webstar1000
06-07-2016, 04:28 AM
I paid mine too... Hey Paul, are they sold out? I know of a chap that would really like one but wanted to make sure there was the 2 left before I told him. Thanks!

zelig
06-07-2016, 01:47 PM
I paid mine too... Hey Paul, are they sold out? I know of a chap that would really like one but wanted to make sure there was the 2 left before I told him. Thanks!

Yep, sold out. If one should become available again for any reason I will be sure to let you know.

webstar1000
06-07-2016, 05:49 PM

Yep, sold out. If one should become available again for any reason I will be sure to let you know.
Good for you man. No doubt this will be a coveted editon for years to come. I would be very proud brother:)

George at C-Springs
06-08-2016, 08:51 AM

I saw this and went, "Oh CRAP, I forgot to pay Paul!" but then went to PayPal and saw that I was apparently smart enough to set up an installment autopay 6 weeks ago, so yay for me for contingency planning ahead for my own shitty memory.

Shannon
06-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Just wanted to put this out there, I was able to hang out with Paul after everyone else went sleepy-night-night (ya bunch of babies! lol) and I've got to say, he's a great guy! One of the good ones, with a genuine passion for this project. I'm glad they sold out, and the final product should be nothing short of perfection. You're all in good hands. :)

zelig
06-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks Shannon. I had a great time hanging out. And thanks for twisting my arm to go gamble. One of the few times I actually came out ahead at the Blackjack tables!

Shannon
06-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Just play until you win, that's my motto.

Lol

zelig
06-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Just play until you win, that's my motto.

Lol

Better than my previous strategy which was play until I lose.

zelig
06-14-2016, 11:03 AM
I wanted to provide an update on the project. The first actual book has been rebound. The plan was to do one first then roll into the others if all looks good. I want to make some small tweaks now that I've seen the first sample copy and once that's done the binder will get to work on the rest. So things are on track and moving along.

In related news, I just learned that David Palladini had a heart attack in May. I went to visit him today. He had undergone surgery and he is recovering slowly. He joked to me about this book being a posthumous edition, or something along those lines,and we had a good laugh about it.

Beverly Marsh
06-14-2016, 11:19 AM
I wanted to provide an update on the project. The first actual book has been rebound. The plan was to do one first then roll into the others if all looks good. I want to make some small tweaks now that I've seen the first sample copy and once that's done the binder will get to work on the rest. So things are on track and moving along.

In related news, I just learned that David Palladini had a heart attack in May. I went to visit him today. He had undergone surgery and he is recovering slowly. He joked to me about this book being a posthumous edition, or something along those lines,and we had a good laugh about it.
Thank you for the update Paul. So excited to this baby all finished!
Sorry to hear about David and glad that he is recovering and taking it easy. Please tell him he's in our thoughts.

firemonkey66
06-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Glad to hear that Mr. Palladini is on the mend. Give him our best next time you see him.

Also excited to hear that the project is going smoothly. Really looking forward to it!

becca69
06-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Sending good thoughts for David's recovery!

webstar1000
06-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Sorry to hear that but happy to hear he is up joking around with you Paul.. best from me to him:)

webstar1000
06-24-2016, 07:08 AM
I am getting more and more pumped for this book!!

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-24-2016, 07:23 AM
I am getting more and more pumped for this book!!

I am so pumped :excited:

zelig
06-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Good to hear you're pumped. Things are moving along. We've made a few necessary adjustments after the first sample. It's looking great! Still shooting for July; might be the end of the month as I took a couple weeks to tweak things which pushed it out a little. The finished book will definitely benefit from it.

On the David front, I told him about the well wishes that were posted and he was happy to hear it. He is recovering slowly and is still in a care facility. Should be released next week.

needfulthings
06-24-2016, 03:05 PM
RED OR WHITE PAGE ENDS & ANY CHANCE TO SEE THE 1st SAMPLE?:unsure:

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Good to hear you're pumped. Things are moving along. We've made a few necessary adjustments after the first sample. It's looking great! Still shooting for July; might be the end of the month as I took a couple weeks to tweak things which pushed it out a little. The finished book will definitely benefit from it.

On the David front, I told him about the well wishes that were posted and he was happy to hear it. He is recovering slowly and is still in a care facility. Should be released next week.

Wish him the best for sure

zelig
06-24-2016, 03:28 PM
RED OR WHITE PAGE ENDS & ANY CHANCE TO SEE THE 1st SAMPLE?:unsure:

White. We did a sample of red and it didn't work well at all. Don't have anything to show on the sample because it was sent back to the binder. Also I'd rather it be more of a surprise when everyone gets their copy.

Wish him the best for sure

Will do, thanks Chad.

herbertwest
06-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Some collectors may wonder about 'proof' copies now :p

needfulthings
06-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Do we have an option on the color of our slipcase?

zelig
06-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Some collectors may wonder about 'proof' copies now :p

The only copy right now that could be considered a "proof" is the first sample, but that is actually being stripped down to the block so won't exist anymore. Probably better that way.

Do we have an option on the color of our slipcase?

Well, two colors are being made. Red and green. The plan is for a green slipcase on the green version and a red slipcase on the red/black version. It's not a big deal if anyone wants to switch slipcase colors, so tell me now and I will do my best!

needfulthings
06-24-2016, 04:23 PM
Like I stated before White for me (Like a napkin as Napkins was going to be the original title.) & I believe that was one of the color choices?

zelig
06-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Like I stated before White for me (Like a napkin as Napkins was going to be the original title.) & I believe that was one of the color choices?

Yes, looks like I did post some colors and white was one of them. At some point after that I must have decided to keep the slipcases at two colors to simplify things. However, since I did offer it, I really don't have an issue with making a white one available for anyone who wants it. That would be it though in terms of colors, otherwise it can get out of hand.

Br!an
06-24-2016, 05:39 PM
So I was one of the minority who bought the Cayman skin version. Paul, when you say red do you mean...

Red
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/red_zpsl1wlz2gg.jpg

or
Chili Pepper

At first I thought the Chili Pepper red matched the mock up better, but now that I've looked at it twenty times I'm not sure.:orely:

firemonkey66
06-24-2016, 05:42 PM

Yes, looks like I did post some colors and white was one of them. At some point after that I must have decided to keep the slipcases at two colors to simplify things. However, since I did offer it, I really don't have an issue with making a white one available for anyone who wants it. That would be it though in terms of colors, otherwise it can get out of hand.

I would take a white one as well if it's not too much trouble. I think it would be a nice stark contrast to the green; make it stand out more.

zelig
06-24-2016, 06:33 PM
Hey Brian, I went with Chili Pepper. I feel it will go better with the red leather.

Anthony, I put you down for white. Bruce, you too.

firemonkey66
06-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Paul! And I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm really looking forward to this book! Thanks for all your efforts.

Br!an
06-25-2016, 05:00 AM
Hey Brian, I went with Chili Pepper. I feel it will go better with the red leather.

Anthony, I put you down for white. Bruce, you too.

I'm also glad the page block will be white. That would have been too much red.

ICry4Oy
06-25-2016, 09:58 AM
CANNOT WAIT TO SEE/HOLD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't ever want a white slipcase because in my house it would be yellow within two years time. Green is good! :D

All my best to David!!!

webstar1000
06-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Man guys.... I was thinking standard green like what is the default color... But then I start to agree... "Yeah, white like the napkins which is the focal point of the whole story!" Now I'm thinking red!!! Like a dragons breath or toungue... Lol man I just cannot decide!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!

jsmcmullen92
06-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Hey Paul if it is white cloth out me down for white. If you were doing a vinyl like substance then green for sure.

zelig
06-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Man guys.... I was thinking standard green like what is the default color... But then I start to agree... "Yeah, white like the napkins which is the focal point of the whole story!" Now I'm thinking red!!! Like a dragons breath or toungue... Lol man I just cannot decide!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!

Kris, I have the solution for you. Get all three!

Hey Paul if it is white cloth out me down for white. If you were doing a vinyl like substance then green for sure.

Hi Josh. Yes, it's cloth. I put you down for white.

Randall Flagg
06-26-2016, 08:14 AM
I'd prefer to see a mock up before choosing colors, but it's nothing that I feel strongly about.

Br!an
06-26-2016, 08:37 AM
I'd prefer to see a mock up before choosing colors, but it's nothing that I feel strongly about.

Do you mean a full size mock up? A full size mock up with slipcase?

There are the preliminary mock ups of the books and the color palette.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/prototype_1_zpsmswiwki2.jpg
White
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/white_zpsquryso80.jpg

Chili Pepper
Green
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/green_zps0w7gg4ot.jpg

Randall Flagg
06-26-2016, 09:34 AM
I suppose I'll go with a white slipcase.
By mock up, I meant the green book half in/half out of a white slipcase and also a green slipcase.
I don't want to delay the process.

webstar1000
06-26-2016, 11:14 AM
That would be cool RF... But Mayhap a lot of work? It sure would help me! Lol

webstar1000
06-26-2016, 11:14 AM

Kris, I have the solution for you. Get all three!

Hi Josh. Yes, it's cloth. I put you down for white.

Hahahahah all 3 is a good idea brother!

ICry4Oy
06-26-2016, 11:15 AM
I don't want to delay the process.

^THIS

Randall Flagg
06-26-2016, 11:35 AM
I figured out MY answer.
I want a white slipcase and a green slipcase.
I'll pay the extra.
Damn, that was easy.

zelig
06-26-2016, 11:45 AM
I figured out MY answer.
I want a white slipcase and a green slipcase.
I'll pay the extra.
Damn, that was easy.

That was easy. :dance:

The mockups would have delayed things yes... I've noted your request.

stroppygoblin
06-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi Paul, I'd like to go with a white slipcase please - I like the Napkins tie-in.

needfulthings
06-26-2016, 01:19 PM

zelig
06-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Hi Paul, I'd like to go with a white slipcase please - I like the Napkins tie-in.

Hi Simon. Got it.

cit74
06-26-2016, 09:14 PM
I'll go along with RF - a green and white - and pay the extra cost.
After Labor Day I'll switch it from white to green...until the following Memorial Day :)

Randall Flagg
06-27-2016, 04:29 AM
After Labor Day I'll switch it from white to green...until the following Memorial Day :)
That is a classy man.

becca69
06-27-2016, 06:54 AM
Is there going to be stamping on the slipcase?

zelig
06-27-2016, 07:36 AM

And don't forget St. Patrick's day you can switch to green. There's even a red one for Christmas. :smile:

Is there going to be stamping on the slipcase?

No stamping as it would have changed the cost. However, I might do a stamped version as an upgrade.

webstar1000
06-27-2016, 07:37 AM
I would be interested in the stamped upgrade brother:)

zelig
06-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Okay will let everyone know when I have more information on that.

becca69
06-27-2016, 09:05 AM
I would upgrade to the stamped version also. I want a green slipcase.

ICry4Oy
06-27-2016, 09:08 AM
You'd better get this thread closed Paul or the book will get delayed until next year.
:nana:

zelig
06-27-2016, 09:15 AM
I would upgrade to the stamped version also. I want a green slipcase.

No problem. You're getting the green slipcase by default anyway.

You'd better get this thread closed Paul or the book will get delayed until next year.
:nana:

Yeah, no worries. Nothing is being delayed because of the slipcase options. My focus is on getting the book done. Then I'll look at doing a stamped version.

firemonkey66
06-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Haha, not to pile it on, but I would upgrade to stamping on my white slipcase if it was offered.

jsmcmullen92
06-27-2016, 09:29 AM
I know it's ultimately up to Paul but I think gold foil would look awesome on these cases!

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Also would upgrade :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
06-27-2016, 11:36 AM
May I have a white slipcase stamped in green on both sides, also on the spine.
I'd like the green slipcase stamped in 10 carat gold on both sides and the spine.

Also a peel away surprise on the slipcases.
Random receipt.
I won't know what's inside until I receive the book, slipcase and either peel it open, or leave it.

P.S.
Can the shipping box have my books designation on it?
Similar to how The Stand S/L was done?

zelig
06-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Is that all... What about a traycase where you open it and a dragon flies out?

jsmcmullen92
06-27-2016, 12:09 PM

na... that's just lame :evil:

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-27-2016, 12:44 PM

Is it a trained dragon? :biggrin:

ke7285
06-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Put me in for the white slipcase please.

Randall Flagg
06-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Now you're just being silly...

http://bestanimations.com/Fantasy/Dragons/dragon-animated-gif-40.gif

AstroDad
06-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Could I get the dragon from Game of Thrones on mine please??

needfulthings
06-27-2016, 01:31 PM
This is what I wanted back in post #125. To carry out the original theme.

This Dragon is based on Mr. Palladini's cover art.
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6271/DT0kc5.jpg

My display stand is already waiting.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6214/swiBmb.jpg

Randall Flagg
06-27-2016, 01:38 PM
This is what I want.
Seems simple, and inexpensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcdgs6hmPb0

Randall Flagg
06-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Make it like TGWLTG S/L and raise the price to $3K. That will (per Mr. Rabbit Trick) eliminate the slackers.

needfulthings
06-27-2016, 02:09 PM
This is what I want.
Seems simple, and inexpensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcdgs6hmPb0

Looks to me that YOU are now in charge of creating 26 origami dragons (What did he say should only take you about 10min each?)

webstar1000
06-27-2016, 02:16 PM
This is what I wanted back in post #125. To carry out the original theme.

This Dragon is based on Mr. Palladini's cover art.
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6271/DT0kc5.jpg

My display stand is already waiting.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6214/swiBmb.jpg

This is awesome Bruce...

zelig
06-27-2016, 02:53 PM
I've had a good laugh with all this...

Only option is if you want a white case. There won't be any stamping on the slipcase that comes with the book, but may offer one after the fact. Doing anything along those lines now would delay things which I don't wanna do.

Cool Macdonald display there Bruce. Always liked that one.

Kevin, noted on your white slipcase request.

...and that origami dragon is very cool.

Over and out....

ruderabbit
06-27-2016, 05:15 PM

Oh yes...upgrade me!

zelig
06-28-2016, 06:12 AM

Oh yes...upgrade me!

Just to clarify, there won't be any "upgrade" option before the book ships. Those who ordered will receive a cloth slipcase without any stamping. That was the plan from the outset. I may do a stamped case after the fact for those who want to purchase one. Once I have something definite, you all will be the first to know.

webstar1000
06-28-2016, 06:35 AM

Oh yes...upgrade me!

Just to clarify, there won't be any "upgrade" option before the book ships. Those who ordered will receive a cloth slipcase without any stamping. That was the plan from the outset. I may do a stamped case after the fact for those who want to purchase one. Once I have something definite, you all will be the first to know.

ahhhh. sorry Paul I was unaware. I would probably pass in this instance as I will already have a nice case. Thanks though my good man:)

divemaster
06-30-2016, 08:22 AM
So I was one of the minority who bought the Cayman skin version.

I really wish I was still in the collecting game, b/c I really like this version and would have bought it!

So envious.

webstar1000
06-30-2016, 08:29 AM
I went with white too!

Ben Staad
06-30-2016, 12:40 PM
One of my favorites books and love the looks of these. Awesome job.

zelig
07-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Production update: So we are in the home stretch here. I took some extra time by having the bookbinder create two separate samples so we could fine tune the various elements of the book, before making them all. I've seen the 2nd sample with the tweaks we made and we're good to go. For those who ordered a copy, thank you for your patience!

I haven't posted any pictures because I'd like it to be a surprise but here's one of the things we tweaked to give you an idea.

The cowhide leather that is dyed and engraved with a reptilian pattern is quite thick and when bound on the boards, it doesn't give that "sculpted" look at the headcap. So the binder pared the edges of the leather and got really good results, which you can see in the photos. The first photo shows the thicker leather at the edges around the headcap. The second photo is the result of the paring and demonstrates how a headcap ought to look in the case of a fine binding. The back cuts in the board are clearly visible and the headcap has a sculpted, much more refined look.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/headcap_zpsbllp0jts.jpg

Something else I though I'd share is that the spine is rounded, and with the addition of a hollow back and shoulders fitting behind the book boards, shelf wear and the sagging of the text block over time will be prevented. I believe the technical term for that is it's built like a brick shithouse. :)

Brian861
07-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Super, Paul! You're clients are in for one helluva treat!

P.S. Love the use of technical terms LOL.

HONKYTONKSMASH
07-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Oh man. This is gonna be kick ass! :thumbsup:

stroppygoblin
07-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Hmm, I'm really regretting my decision to buy this now....

... Regretting I didn't buy TWO!!! :evil: Looking great Paul! :thumbsup: