PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Haven Fundraiser Auction #28-King SIGNED Desperation W/Orig Maitz. Art

Randall Flagg
03-20-2016, 12:10 PM
http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif
AUCTION LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201545714189?)

For your consideration is a two page original piece of art signed by renowned artist Don Maitz. This piece was drawn in a Gift Edition of Stephen King's "Desperation".
Don Maitz sent the book to Stephen King, and yes!....Stephen King signed the book!

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1458504805-Maitz%20King%20signed%20desperation.JPG

Beverly Marsh
03-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Simply put, that remarque is amazing. I know this will get well over my pay grade but I hope someone here wins! Good luck bidders.

Randall Flagg
03-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Simply put, that remarque is amazing. I know this will get well over my pay grade but I hope someone here wins! Good luck bidders.
Oh....and Stephen King signed it...

Beverly Marsh
03-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Oh....and Stephen King signed it...

Oh yeah, that too. ;)
It's an awesome item and will do great!

Randall Flagg
03-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Just for more info, last year Maitz did three of these books; each with different art, and King signed all three.
This year, there is only one. I know $699 is a steep opening, but last year all three sold for over $800.
Last year King signed in blue ink, this is signed in black ink.

Brian861
03-20-2016, 01:06 PM
The best this year IMO. That's going to be the P&J of someone's collection. Man, I should really wait before I bid on other stuff to see what's coming next. But then again, I want them all so I reckon that point is moot :cry:

carlosdetweiller
03-20-2016, 01:28 PM
I got it started.

bdwyer19
03-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Love that artwork... and the signatures, of course!!

Randall Flagg
03-20-2016, 02:01 PM
I got it started.
Knowing you, if you desire it, you'll win.
This isn't an auction that will "be pulled".

T-Dogz_AK47
03-20-2016, 02:15 PM
An absolutely stunning item! Top Drawer!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Merlin1958
03-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Wow!!! That's a particularly remarkable remarque!!!

Aronstg
03-20-2016, 03:00 PM
A wonderful piece. Don easily does some of the best remarques. Good luck everyone.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Black ink! I'm in!

peripheral
03-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Incredible Remarque, and a signed Gift edition! very nice indeed.

Merlin1958
03-20-2016, 06:01 PM
God, approves of this auction.............................

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/4748/5TEHyY.jpg

becca69
03-21-2016, 04:17 AM
Too bad I'm tapped out! Go for it Bob!

AKC
03-21-2016, 04:30 AM
Note to whoever wins it, sure hope you don't plan on reselling it based on what is going on over in the Classifieds Thread....

Unbelievable.

Anyway, nice piece Flaaaaaaagg.

Don Maitz
03-21-2016, 07:47 AM
It is a scary thing to get a book, a really nice book, and decide to "add something" in the hopes it might increase the value. A signature is a safe venture but still even that comes with a little trepidation, where should I put it, what pen should I use. The process of adding a remarque is much more challenging and riddled with the worry of what if I f--- it up. If something goes wrong then this book that so many people worked together to produce, becomes a worthless stack of paper because I had the temerity to improve upon it. A pencil drawing can get smudged, if too soft a pencil is used. The paper gets dented or worse, torn if too hard a pencil is used. Ink is irrevocable if it goes wrong and very hard to fix a mistake. The watercolor i use has to go on dry or the paper buckles or bleeds through the other side. HA! and you all thought King's writing is scary.

Kingfan24
03-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Note to whoever wins it, sure hope you don't plan on reselling it based on what is going on over in the Classifieds Thread....

Unbelievable.

Really? I'm pretty sure nearly every member supported his actions.

Edit: it sounds like you are bashing Brian but may be supporting him? May want to revise if you are supporting Brian. Doesn't read well if that's your intent.

Brian861
03-21-2016, 09:25 AM

Unbelievable.

:thumbsup:

webstar1000
03-21-2016, 09:26 AM

Unbelievable.

I am pretty sure Nick... he is supporting what everyone was saying is how I take it. I think he was being a bit sarcastic brother...

AKC
03-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Unbelievable.

As do I.

Perhaps you mis-interpreted my post....

Brian861
03-21-2016, 09:28 AM
It is a scary thing to get a book, a really nice book, and decide to "add something" in the hopes it might increase the value. A signature is a safe venture but still even that comes with a little trepidation, where should I put it, what pen should I use. The process of adding a remarque is much more challenging and riddled with the worry of what if I f--- it up. If something goes wrong then this book that so many people worked together to produce, becomes a worthless stack of paper because I had the temerity to improve upon it. A pencil drawing can get smudged, if too soft a pencil is used. The paper gets dented or worse, torn if too hard a pencil is used. Ink is irrevocable if it goes wrong and very hard to fix a mistake. The watercolor i use has to go on dry or the paper buckles or bleeds through the other side. HA! and you all thought King's writing is scary.

You did an awesome job, Mr. Maitz. An absolutely wonderful gift to the HF and to the collector who scores it at end of auction. Best Remarque I've personally seen to date IMO.

jhanic
03-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Agreed! A wonderful job.

John

EXPLORER
03-21-2016, 10:22 AM

DON,
I believe we seldom think of the trepidation an artist can feel when adding his personal touch to a special copy of a book. You have shown us the ability to provide such fabulous artwork and I regret that we likely take too for granted the concerns you as an artist are confronted with while adding your creative touch to a project like this. I thank you again for your efforts artistically and the relationship you have developed to have Mr, King sign the items you provide for the benefit of The Haven Foundation.

Merlin1958
03-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Damn, I want this one!!!! Re-arranged a few cards in anticipation. This is one for MY COLLECTION!!!

Especially after all those years barking, this one comes home with me!!!!!

firemonkey66
03-21-2016, 06:54 PM

You work very well under pressure, Mr. Maitz! Awesome piece. And thank you for sharing your thoughts on the remarque process. It makes me appreciate them even more!

Merlin1958
03-21-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm on it. For a change, I'd like to benefit from a HF item. Jerome, may have to pay for his own beers in, Vegas, but what the hey, right?-

TCCBodhi
03-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Yet again another amazing remarque for this book. Don, you've got such a great picture of Entragian. I'd be shitting bricks if I came across this dude on a Nevada (or Texas even) roadtrip!

Thank you Don, Stephen King (clearly), Jerome and any admins, and of course whoever donated the book.