PDA

View Full Version : Poetic single lines

Malficeus
01-25-2008, 08:21 PM
ive been listening to some music and noticing some lines that to me sound nice and somewhat some weird poetic single line. (e.g. like ghost in the snow-My Chemical Romance-Vampires will Never Hurt You) odd i know but it in a sense catches my attention so id like to see what other people think is cool. it can be your own or music

mine-like fire in the rain

LadyHitchhiker
01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
"Behind the boathouse, I'll show you my dark secret..." -- Toadies, Possum Kingdom.. That's a great one-liner.

ATG
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
" Wheels within wheels
in a spiral array
a pattern so grand and complex
Time after time
we lose sight of the way
our causes can't see the effects "

Rush---Natural Science

OchrisO
01-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Music wise:

"Time and all you gave
I was the jerk who preferred the sea
To tussling in the waves
Tugging your skirt, singing please, please, please"

"Promising Light" by Iron and Wine

"Sons are like birds
Flying upward over the mountain"

"Upward Over the Mountain by Iron and Wine

"Tonight, we're the sea and the rhythm there
The waves and the wind and night is black
Tonight we're the scent of your long black hair
Spread out like your breath across my back"

"The Sea and the Rhythm" by Iron and Wine

"You pick a place that's where I'll be
Time like your cheek has turned for me"

"Someday the Waves" by Iron and Wine
Here's some actual poetry lines:

There's a slam poet called Rives. He is amazing. You can find a lot of his stuff on youtube. Here's a few lines. Some of them are a bit mroe than oneliners:

"Just so you know, my wierd mind wanders and my brave heart breaks. I've nailed some milestones, but I've made some mistakes, cause I've got more faults than a map of California earthquakes."

"I'm not insisting you are some kind of goddess. I know you are suspicious of unspecific love poems. You are more like a sunflower growing in an oldfolks home. You mean things to people on a daily basis."

"I know that the hydrant on the corner of your memory and your diary is not only open, it is 90 proof."

"I wish I was the bathroom mirror, the day they took off your braces."

"And how the night before, you considered my ceiling and the passing cars....the pass....the passing cars outside cast their shadows and liquid lights through the slats of my blinds, and you said, 'Hey romeo. Your CD played is skipping again, but your ceiling is like fireworks for poor people and I like that.'"

I think that most of my own poetry is pretty horrible, but I guess if I had to pick a favorite line from one of my works, it would be the end to my poem "The Moon and You"(which is found here, with others, btw:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=440 )

"You are as unattainable as that moon
And, baby, let's face it: I'm no astronaut."

Malficeus
01-25-2008, 11:00 PM
nice chris but let it be rembered single lined

Jon
01-26-2008, 02:37 AM
"The faint sounds of shovelled earth."

As if you were in a coffin being buried alive.

Brice
01-26-2008, 03:26 AM
I'm going to move this to Fedic Station. :)

Darkthoughts
01-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Fell into a sea of grass and disappeared among the shady blades ~ from Summertime Rolls by Jane's Addiction.

PedroPáramo
01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
And two suns on the face, which, without words, talk.
-Jarabe de Palo.

Don't wait me in the court at 12,
don't ask me to start again,
I don't want free or busy,
neither flesh or sin,
or proud and pity,
I don't want to know why did you do it,
I don't want with or withoth you,
What I want,
girl of sad eyes,
is that you die for me.
-Joaquin Sabina

We share the same towel
diferent sweats,
There are still islands with beachs
saffron colour.
I was her lemon half, her chéri,
her worst latin lover,
Her spanish lesson, her slip,
her comme ci, her comme ça.
-Joaquin Sabina

I know that I'm not a good son-in-law
I'm almost a hell's kiss,
but at the end a kiss, madame....
-Joan Manuel Serrat

jayson
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
"We're chained to the world and we've all gotta pull" _ Tom Waits "Dirt in the Ground"

"Done is good, but done well is so much fucking better" _Stephen Malkmus "Freeze the Saints"

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 08:08 AM
"You know good and well I don't drink coffee so you fill my cup full of sand." -- Jimi Hendrix

"Well you said some people are just like a coin box but you look like you ain't got no coins to spare." -- Jimi Hendrix

jayson
02-13-2008, 08:09 AM
"With the power of soul, anything is possible" - Jimi Hendrix

Frunobulax
02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm a steelworker, I kill what I eat. - Big Black

blackrose22
02-15-2008, 12:32 PM
"Ignorance is a road that leads to trouble, wisdom is a treasure born in heaven".
Everybody knows a little bit of something - King's X

Girlystevedave
02-15-2008, 05:22 PM
"Heavenly shades of night are falling" The Platters

jayson
02-16-2008, 04:02 AM
of course the Platters just sang it, they didn't write it, so the "poetry" is not theirs. good song though.

Jon
02-16-2008, 04:17 AM
"For the past. It's too late.

'Cause the world can't control fate" -Testament

LadyHitchhiker
02-16-2008, 02:05 PM
"In any other world you could make a difference." -- Mika

Girlystevedave
02-16-2008, 02:49 PM
of course the Platters just sang it, they didn't write it, so the "poetry" is not theirs. good song though.

Yeah, who DID write their own music during that time?

LadyHitchhiker
02-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Me!

Girlystevedave
02-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Show off !! :lol:

jayson
02-16-2008, 02:59 PM

Yeah, who DID write their own music during that time?

almost all jazz musicians? as for writing their own lyrics, it was indeed rare for the 1950's. that was among the things that changed in the 1960's is that a lot more popular musicians started writing their own songs. it was a necessary revolution in the industry.

Girlystevedave
02-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Which is why Smokey Robinson is probably still raking in the bucks from back then.

alinda
02-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Absolutely one of the best lines ever!!

"Heavenly shades of night are falling" The Platters

jayson
02-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Which is why Smokey Robinson is probably still raking in the bucks from back then.

Interesting you mention Smokey as Motown is one of the labels where you can really see the songwriting revolution happen when guys like Marvin Gaye stopped writing for mostly for others and started recording his own material. Of course once Dylan came along the concept exploded and we got some great songwriters to follow.

Girlystevedave
02-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Very true. It's easier to fall into music and appreciate it when you know it's coming from the perfromers themselves. It becomes more than words and lyrics. It's a feeling. It's sincere.
It's always a little disappointing to really fall in love with a song to find out that it was written by someone other than the singer/band. It makes me feel a little cheated.

jayson
02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Very true. It's easier to fall into music and appreciate it when you know it's coming from the perfromers themselves. It becomes more than words and lyrics. It's a feeling. It's sincere.
It's always a little disappointing to really fall in love with a song to find out that it was written by someone other than the singer/band. It makes me feel a little cheated.

i agree completely. given that my two fav songwriters/singers are Tom Waits and Bob Dylan, it's the honesty of the voice, the fact that they are the voice of the song bc they wrote the song, that makes it for me. I have enjoyed covers of their songs for sure, they are spectacular songwriters, but not like the "real" versions to me.

Girlystevedave
02-18-2008, 01:27 PM
collision of your kiss - MCR

ZoNeSeeK
02-18-2008, 05:03 PM
"You're a woman, I'm a calf
You're a window, I'm a knife
We come together making chance into starlight
Meet me tomorrow night."

Jeff Buckley - Morning Theft

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 09:08 AM
"Why don't you like me; walk out the door!" -- Mika

jayson
02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
sorry to break topic, but Liz I love your av! "the question!"

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!! I'm glad someone knew what it was!

jayson
02-19-2008, 09:28 AM
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!! I'm glad someone knew what it was!

read that more times than DT, but then again I first read it when I was 12.

"Zaphod's just this guy, you know?"

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 09:29 AM
"He's ony hoopy frood. He's so cool you could keep a slab of meat cool on his side for days!"

Oh... and a great one lyric thing: "So long and thanks for all the fish"
I was going to have that for my avatar but I was afraid too many people who don't know the guide would think I was leaving.... :D

jayson
02-19-2008, 11:14 AM
"He's ony hoopy frood. He's so cool you could keep a slab of meat cool on his side for days!"

Oh... and a great one lyric thing: "So long and thanks for all the fish"
I was going to have that for my avatar but I was afraid too many people who don't know the guide would think I was leaving.... :D

"...so sad that it has come to this" [bye bye dolphins!]

jayson
02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
"I'm feelin' all emo since I ran out of weed" - The Steinways

ZoNeSeeK
02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
A friend in need's a friend in deed, a friend with weed is better.

Ruki
02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
A friend in need's a friend in deed, a friend with weed is better.

i love you

Patrick
02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
"Me, your momma, and some other whore, floating down the river on a shithouse door"
~ Mojo Nixon

I don't know if you'd call it poetry, but that opening line has always painted a hell of a picture in my mind.

Erin
02-20-2008, 02:08 AM
"Everytime she sneezes, I believe it's love" - Counting Crows "Anna Begins"

John Blaze
02-20-2008, 02:39 AM
"But I'm trying to drown my soul
I'm tired of this life on a dirt road
And everything that I love is gone
And I'm tired of hangin' on "
Rehab - Sitting at a Bar

If you don't know who Rehab is, download "Sitting at a bar" and "it don't matter"

you must love these songs.

"But I'll never learn
Real things I don't concern
I pour kerosene on everything I love and watch it burn "

LadyHitchhiker
02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
"all alone I fall to pieces" -- Velvet Revolver

Girlystevedave
02-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Oddly.....
"Fucked without a kiss again...."
Green Day "Worry Rock"

John Blaze
02-21-2008, 06:46 PM
hmm, interesting mental picture.

Mattrick
02-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Some of these may be multiple lines but not whole verses. They're all pretty much sung in regards of a line though.

"How did I become a molecule in the concrete of this city? No difference in my endless motion in a space to small to see." - Falling Down by Vertical Horizon

"Ever notice how drinking's like war? Couple troops o'er the gums. Till the end of our health, a campaign against myself...armed with bourbons and scotches and rums" - The Drinking Song by Moxy Fruvous.

This is actually one of my more all time favourite songs. Loved it since I was a child. Got some great lyrics and was an inspiration to my novel. I often get inspiration from songs. The full lyrics can be found here, http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/f/fruvousmoxy7907/thedrinkingsong279370.html

"And on the day I show up (in reference to heaven) there, they'll be out of their forgiveness supplies." - You Won't Know by Brand New

"Drink life as it comes, straight no chaser." - Straight No Chaser by Bush

"And No one will no my name until its on a stone."
"Am I just a walking bag of chewed up dust and bones?" - Your Lucky Day In Hell by The Eels

"I want to paint it black, black as night! Black as coal! I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky." - Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones

This song to me, is so amazing. Perhaps it's just because I can relate very heavily to it. Each line, each guitar note is just perfect.

"The arrogant build kingdoms made of the different ones, breaking them until they've become, just another crown"
"Cause the weak will seek the weaker until they've broken them." - Simon by Lifehouse

"You're beautiful, you're confusing, you're illogical, you're amazing and I've seen the world, it's overrated. Until you're everything, I've nothing but an empty space." - Empty Space by Lifehouse.

Jon
02-24-2008, 03:34 AM
"Darkly my presence
Is now your past "

Testament - Into The Pit

blackrose22
02-24-2008, 09:58 AM
"The ticket to the Whitehouse is not a blow job for the poor, the rich man gets his suck off as the President is his whore".

Blown - Warrior Soul

Jon
03-03-2008, 01:24 AM
You can do it your own way. If it's done just how I say. - Metallica

OchrisO
03-03-2008, 02:20 AM
I always hate making big posts on a thread like this simply ebcause people make overlook some awesome lines, but there's just too much good stuff.

Three seperate lined from Devil's Dance Floor by Flogging Molly

"Crushed beneath her wave, like a ship, I could not reach the shore"

"Her legs ran all the way up to Heaven and past Avalon"

"The apple, now, was sweet, oh, much sweeter than it ought to be."

"Lets unwrite these pages and replace them with our own words" -Swing Life Away by Rise Against

"the faces of ten years ago like fingerprints on my heart" -Remains Of Summer Memories by Rise Against

"but these ghosts come alive like water and wine and walk through these streets singing songs and carrying signs" -To Them These Streets Belong by Rise Against

"It's not the end, that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death." -Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated by Rise Against

"When we built these dreams on sand, How they all slipped through our hands.
And this might be our only chance." -Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated by Rise Against

"Is there a God tonight, up in the sky, or is it empty just like me?" -Life Less Frightening by Rise Against

"I'm moving slow
Like a glacier melting
Watch me dissipate" -Worth Dying For by Rise Against

jayson
03-03-2008, 04:15 AM
"Our power doesn't run on nothing, it runs on blood and blood is easy to obtain when you have no shame" - The Thermals "Power Doesn't Run On Nothing"

Brice
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
"mama told me never stop until I bust a nut" :rofl:

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
"every time I shake your hand I wanna stick your fingers in my mouth" -- Weird Al, "do I gross you out"

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 10:43 PM
well it evokes a mental image.. not neccessarily a pleasant one...

"hungry eyes"... that's a good poetic line...

Girlystevedave
03-04-2008, 10:57 PM
breaths of liars

jayson
03-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Someday life will be sweet like a rhapsody, when I paint my masterpiece - Bob Dylan

Jon
03-09-2008, 01:41 AM
You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say. -Metallica

LadyHitchhiker
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
"If you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin then mister you're a better man than I"

or

"I feel like the color blue"

-- Aerosmith

Ka-tet
03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
"Thus now when i leave you im truly blind, this blindness this blessing the hope of mankind" Thats from the Sonata Arctica song The Power Of one.

LadyHitchhiker
03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
"I feel like I can fly when I stand next to you"

"Do I try to hard to make you smile?"

-- Blue October, two lines from "Calling you"

Girlystevedave
03-14-2008, 05:00 PM
"Moonlight illuminate my night"

Time Of Your Song
~Matisyahu

obscurejude
03-14-2008, 10:38 PM
"A little less than a human being
A little less than a happy high
A little less than a suicide

The only things that you tried to hide"

Elliott Smith, "Fond Farewell"

Jon
03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
"Your Children Have More Brains Than Your Drug Infested Remains."

-Iron Maiden

LadyHitchhiker
03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
"Dancing with myself" -- Billy Idol

LadyHitchhiker
04-20-2008, 01:18 PM
the clock is laughing in my face -- Green Day

bergy81
04-20-2008, 07:22 PM
There's not even room enough to be anywhere
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there-Bob Dylan

Girlystevedave
04-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Scumbag
~Green Day

"Shit eating grin and a bedroom eye."

Oddly, this is sexy to me.

LadyHitchhiker
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
mama's got a squeezebox, daddy never sleeps at night -- the who "Mamma's got a squeezebox"

I like to park in handicapped spaces where handicapped people make handicapped faces -- Denis Leary, "Asshole"