PDA

View Full Version : Donald M. Grant Publishing

Beverly Marsh
03-15-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm sure there is a thread for this somewhere but for the love of all that is unholy I can't find it! So please combine if one does indeed exist.

Anyways, to the topic at hand!

I just received my first order from them and am very pleased. Ordered Thursday and had the books Monday. I am in LOVE with the WTTKH AE. Beautiful!
I also jumped on the DT VII/Talisman/BH set and love it.
Did anyone else go for it?

Brian861
03-15-2016, 11:19 AM
I have all of those, Bev. Congrats! Good stuff. Now get your collection thread up and running so we can see your 'gets' :)!

Beverly Marsh
03-15-2016, 11:41 AM
I have all of those, Bev. Congrats! Good stuff. Now get your collection thread up and running so we can see your 'gets' :)!

Yes! I knew you were a man with good taste ;) I am proud of what I have but I'm pretty sure my collection pales in comparison to most of you people but perhaps I will do that......

Brian861
03-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Oh no worries, sister; so does mind. But we just keep plowing away at it :).

jhanic
03-15-2016, 12:20 PM

Yes! I knew you were a man with good taste ;) I am proud of what I have but I'm pretty sure my collection pales in comparison to most of you people but perhaps I will do that......

Bev, don't worry about how your collection compares with the others--we LOVE to see new collections!

John

becca69
03-15-2016, 12:49 PM

Give it time, it will grow... this place is like fertilizer!

Br!an
03-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Does that mean we are all full of $#!+? :wtf:

becca69
03-15-2016, 03:57 PM
That's another way to think of it :rofl:

Brian861
03-16-2016, 01:21 AM
Bev, don't worry about how your collection compares with the others--we LOVE to see new collections! John

Agreed!

Beverly Marsh
03-17-2016, 05:40 AM

Bev, don't worry about how your collection compares with the others--we LOVE to see new collections!

John
And I love seeing what you guys have! I have to attach a drool cup when looking at collection threads. I haven't had a chance to look at many on here yet as I'm usually on break at work when I'm here so I need to take a full day and just browse.

Beverly Marsh
03-17-2016, 05:41 AM

Lol it really is! I've already bought/found things from several members on here and am getting ready to purchase another!

Beverly Marsh
03-17-2016, 05:41 AM

Does that mean we are all full of $#!+? :wtf:

:emot-roflolmao:

stroppygoblin
03-17-2016, 07:01 AM
This place is a collectors Growbag for sure...

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/SGBampA_zpsjortxvld.png (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/SGBampA_zpsjortxvld.png.html)

webstar1000
03-17-2016, 07:03 AM
This place is a collectors Growbag for sure...

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/SGBampA_zpsjortxvld.png (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/SGBampA_zpsjortxvld.png.html)

OMG.. ahahhahahahahaha I laughed my ass off. That is SO TRUE!

Brian861
03-17-2016, 10:04 AM
No doubt!

becca69
03-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Perfect!

Beverly Marsh
08-26-2016, 04:07 AM
Phil Hale signed DT II firsts available!

darkseer
08-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Phil Hale signed DT II firsts available!

Thank you :smile:

richardsrarebooks
09-01-2016, 10:07 AM
just ordered a copy!

darkseer
09-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Kind of disappointed with my signed book it looked like a quick scribble :frown2:

richardsrarebooks
09-01-2016, 04:53 PM
sold out on the website

Room 217 Caretaker
09-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Kind of disappointed with my signed book it looked like a quick scribble :frown2:

Is it a P with a scribble line? If so, that's been his signature for a while now.

Mulleins

darkseer
09-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Is it a P with a scribble line? If so, that's been his signature for a while now.

Mulleins

Yes it is, thanks for the info :smile:

wizardsrainbow
09-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Yes, exactly right. Phil Hale is close friends with Robert Weiner at Grant (I just visited Robert this month at the house/barn)...has been close friends for years upon years. Phil visits at least once (if not twice) a year from the UK and always signs books for Robert.

webstar1000
09-02-2016, 03:14 AM
I think this is the last of the 1st's he had... all gone now too!

wizardsrainbow
09-02-2016, 04:22 AM
That is correct...ALL GONE now.

carlosdetweiller
09-02-2016, 04:29 AM
It took 29 years for this book to sell out. That is shocking to me.

zelig
09-02-2016, 04:40 AM
He must have more set aside for sale at a future time. Am I wrong?

becca69
09-02-2016, 06:24 AM

IDK because they've been listed on the site for years.

Robert Fulman
09-02-2016, 06:34 AM

IDK because they've been listed on the site for years.The new website design makes it so much easier to find and order stuff.

tippy4
09-02-2016, 09:05 AM

I am a little shocked he raised the price over the years.

Cover price was $45...amd DMG had raised the price in recent years to $75 (signed or not).

webstar1000
09-02-2016, 09:05 AM

I am a little shocked he raised the price over the years.

Cover price was $45...amd DMG had raised the price in recent years to $75 (signed or not).
After so many years... that is ok to me. Inflation:) And why not?

ICry4Oy
09-03-2016, 08:42 AM
The price seemed fair enough. The signature however was pure shit. The "P" was hardly recognizable and the rest could only be duplicated if one had a stroke while doing it.

firemonkey66
09-03-2016, 08:59 AM
The price seemed fair enough. The signature however was pure shit. The "P" was hardly recognizable and the rest could only be duplicated if one had a stroke while doing it.

Hahaha, this got me laughing out loud because it's true, that's exactly what his signature looks like. Good call.

darkseer
09-03-2016, 10:15 AM

:lol:

becca69
09-09-2016, 07:53 AM
I have a question about these PH signed copies of DT2.... if anyone ordered one, does it have a mothball or musty smell to it? Mine does and I was wondering if they all do?

richardsrarebooks
09-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Don't notice it with mine.

ICry4Oy
09-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Mine has no bad/musty/mothball smell at all.

becca69
09-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks, just wanted confirmation. Mine smells bad!

zelig
09-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Time for some baking soda.

becca69
09-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Yeah, for a $75 new/old stock book, I don't want to deal with that. If others don't smell, mine shouldn't either.

zelig
09-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Good point.

needfulthings
09-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Speaking of King books that literally"SMELL".
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6742/qRDkza.jpg

Randall Flagg
09-09-2016, 07:47 PM

Yeah, for a $75 new/old stock book, I don't want to deal with that. If others don't smell, mine shouldn't either.
Ask to send it back (media mail, you pay), for a replacement. For ~$6 you can send it back (with prior approval), and receive a different (non-smelly) book.

It may take a few weeks, but I'd guess that DMG books will help you with a polite request for a swap.

becca69
09-10-2016, 04:35 AM

Ask to send it back (media mail, you pay), for a replacement. For ~$6 you can send it back (with prior approval), and receive a different (non-smelly) book.

It may take a few weeks, but I'd guess that DMG books will help you with a polite request for a swap.

Thanks. I did send them an email but I first wanted to make sure mine that all of them didn't have a bad smell.

Papaseraphim
01-11-2017, 12:35 PM
New newsletter from Grant Books today.

Of note is the availability of "Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands - Imperfect Dustjackets".

peripheral
09-27-2018, 05:40 PM
For over 12 months, I know of at least 4 of us who have been emailing Donald Grant Publishing and some have also been leaving phone messages, and they don't respond. Is the place abandoned? Are they striving for new depths of poor customer service? Can anyone reveal the enigma that is Grant publishing nowadays?

wizardsrainbow
09-27-2018, 05:47 PM
I can ONLY say that Robert is the ONLY employee at Grant...I have periodic success reaching him but it is "spotty." You know I've tried to go to bat for you but have not gotten any return yet. I'll keep trying. I think because Robert is not publishing anything, he is not "attuned" to the business and travels a lot.

peripheral
09-27-2018, 06:56 PM
Oh ok. Makes sense. And perhaps without a new publication coming out, he’s even less tuned in. You’ve been going over and above for me and a few others regarding this, David. I appreciate it...

Priest
09-28-2018, 08:42 AM
I confess that I bought a dustjacket from him online to establish the connection once ;)

He responded to the order, and I was able to place my real request

Yea ... I know .... but it ain’t stupid if it works ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

webstar1000
09-28-2018, 08:48 AM
I highly doubt King will produce another book through Grant...

Hunchback Jack
09-28-2018, 08:55 AM
I would think if there were another DT book or T3, there would be a Grant edition. What makes you think otherwise, Kris?

webstar1000
09-28-2018, 08:59 AM
I would think if there were another DT book or T3, there would be a Grant edition. What makes you think otherwise, Kris?

Oh nothing definitive Pete... just a hunch or a feeling.

Priest
09-28-2018, 09:04 AM
He has a very early contract with king , I would be surprised if that would not cover „all future releases“

webstar1000
09-28-2018, 09:13 AM
He has a very early contract with king , I would be surprised if that would not cover „all future releases“

Donald Grant did I am sure...but he has been gone for some time. Like I said.. just a feeling.

LetoAtreides
09-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Obviously the numbered editions are spoken for by Grant, but it would be really cool to see a proper lettered run of the series from a publisher like, say, Suntup. Of course, I don't expect that to happen. But one could hope.

Hunchback Jack
09-28-2018, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdHTMLiUAZ8

peripheral
09-28-2018, 02:19 PM
For over 12 months, I know of at least 4 of us who have been emailing Donald Grant Publishing and some have also been leaving phone messages, and they don't respond. Is the place abandoned? Are they striving for new depths of poor customer service? Can anyone reveal the enigma that is Grant publishing nowadays?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, contact has been made with Grant Publishing. I repeat, contact has been made with Grant Publishing..." (Thank you, Andy)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Obviously the numbered editions are spoken for by Grant, but it would be really cool to see a proper lettered run of the series from a publisher like, say, Suntup. Of course, I don't expect that to happen. But one could hope.

Grant have many years of successful publishing publishing behind them. Suntup Editions have not even passed their first year of the United States Tax Systems yet. They may mail in their first year!"

LetoAtreides
09-28-2018, 02:31 PM

Grant have many years of successful publishing publishing behind them. Suntup Editions have not even passed their first year of the United States Tax Systems yet. They may mail in their first year!"

This isn't to imply that Grant isn't capable of producing them, just that there isn't a full lettered run of this series and I doubt that Grant is planning on producing them.

Priest
09-29-2018, 03:20 AM
Lettered gunslinger exists , although it wasn’t meant to be distributed

Ari_Racing
09-29-2018, 05:28 AM
In my opinion, if a new DT book is written, Grant will have first dibs regarding producing a SL.

DoctorZaius
09-29-2018, 06:58 AM
In my opinion, if a new DT book is written, Grant will have first dibs regarding producing a SL.

I agree, and I think it will come in the next two years.

wizardsrainbow
09-29-2018, 10:11 AM

I agree with this....I do NOT know anything either, just going on my experience (and my dark tower junkie status), but I think any DT story limited will be done through Grant....regular story (1st trade hardcover) will be another publisher. And I think, yes, within the next 2-3 years we will see a DT story....that story has been in his brain for at least 40 years; Steve may not ever admit it, but I think it is the one story that never goes away from his brain.

webstar1000
10-01-2018, 04:25 AM

I agree with this....I do NOT know anything either, just going on my experience (and my dark tower junkie status), but I think any DT story limited will be done through Grant....regular story (1st trade hardcover) will be another publisher. And I think, yes, within the next 2-3 years we will see a DT story....that story has been in his brain for at least 40 years; Steve may not ever admit it, but I think it is the one story that never goes away from his brain.

He told me flat out there is another one coming.... in Sarasota.. so I believe this to David.

tippy4
10-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Yeah...but he also told me three times there is another Talisman sequel coming....I am not holding my breath.

St. Troy
10-02-2018, 05:38 AM
He told me flat out there is another one coming.... in Sarasota.. so I believe this to David.

Yeah...but he also told me three times there is another Talisman sequel coming....I am not holding my breath.

I am reminded of a forum for a rock band where the band's manager occasionally drops in to interrupt forward-looking speculation based on a band member's pronouncements by saying "never listen to the band."

Roseannebarr
10-02-2018, 06:58 AM
He also said he never wrote a sequel to one of his books until he wrote Dr Sleep. I guess he wasn’t counting dark tower series and black house.

tippy4
10-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Ha...it's true he did say that....and I corrected him in Toronto and reminded him of a book he wrote called Black House.

Roseannebarr
10-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Ha...it's true he did say that....and I corrected him in Toronto and reminded him of a book he wrote called Black House.

I knew it was you! And we both agreed it was a funny story! That’s why I had to tell it!

Ari_Racing
06-27-2019, 04:40 PM
I've just visited the website:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/