PDA

View Full Version : What King Item lit your collecting fire?

Sir_Boomme
03-01-2016, 08:43 PM
So... I have been a big King fan since the early 70's.
In the 80's, I had a goal of reading every title ... only bought the paperbacks back then.

Then, around 1989, I bought my first King hardback, and my goal changed to owning a hardback copy of every title - it really didn't matter what edition....since I didn't know the differences back then anyways.

In 1996, I was in a mall in Austin, looking for music for a wedding I was DJing the next day.

I was really poor back then and couldn't afford to do much for entertainment, so I was spending my day browsing through shops looking at things I wished I could buy. One of the shops was a book/collector baseball cards/ memorabilia specialty shop.
In the window was a UK gift edition of Insomnia with a slipcase and facsimile signature. I had never seen such a book... and it was my favorite author. The price was $90.00. I had to have the book, and told the shop owner I couldn't afford the $90.00 - he dropped the price to $75.00. I put $10.00 down on the book, and it took me 3 months of giving plasma at the local blood bank to raise the money for the book... but by god I got it.

And that what lit my collector fire and has now cost me so many teens of thousands of dollars... it's scary.

What spurred this thread was.... I ran across the receipt for that book just now. I knew I still had and always will have the book, but thought the receipt was long gone decades ago.

So... let's hear what started your trip to collecting insanity.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1580/25428221515_45528f59af.jpg

Sir_Boomme
03-01-2016, 08:50 PM
yeah... when I say I was poor... I was really poor... I ate beans and rice for years and have a dent in my arm from selling blood so many times, just so I could add the beans to my rice and buy books for school.
I bought that book in 1996... and I didn't make a heck of lot of money in 96.
I was working as a DJ/bouncer and 100% paying my own way through electrical engineering school . It took me years to make it... but as you can see it did pay off in the end.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1672/25402778156_c39fcff07c_n.jpg

Shannon
03-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Legacies S/L. Not sure what had first led me to Bett's Books and that specific book, but David was selling it for $200 (if I remember correctly) and I remember thinking ... no way this is real. $200 for REAL signatures from King, Koontz, Barker, AND Straub!?

And that led me to you guys, and the rest is history.

Lookwhoitis
03-01-2016, 09:31 PM
My sister was working at a Borders and gave me a birthday gift of a copy of the Grant Trade 1st of Wizard & GLass when it was published. I then bought the Wolves of the Calla Artist edition direct from Grant when it was published. (I couldnt get a S/N LE because A. it was too expensive and B. I didnt own a prior S/N LE) Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon for subsequent books (literally... i havent even read them yet, lol)

I bought a S/N LE copy of Little Sisters of Eluria off of Ebay (which enabled me to order TWTtK S/N LE) and not soon after a gift edition of Full Dark No Stars.

I consider both those books as opening the floodgates. LSoE was my first S/N LE and i had such a great experience reading the FDNS, both from being reintroduced to my passionate appreciation of Sai King's mad writing skills AND the joy and pleasure of owning and reading a nicely produced book.

Lookwhoitis
03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
So... I have been a big King fan since the early 70's.
In the 80's, I had a goal of reading every title ... only bought the paperbacks back then.

Then, around 1989, I bought my first King hardback, and my goal changed to owning a hardback copy of every title - it really didn't matter what edition....since I didn't know the differences back then anyways.

In 1996, I was in a mall in Austin, looking for music for a wedding I was DJing the next day.

I was really poor back then and couldn't afford to do much for entertainment, so I was spending my day browsing through shops looking at things I wished I could buy. One of the shops was a book/collector baseball cards/ memorabilia specialty shop.
In the window was a UK gift edition of Insomnia with a slipcase and facsimile signature. I had never seen such a book... and it was my favorite author. The price was $90.00. I had to have the book, and told the shop owner I couldn't afford the $90.00 - he dropped the price to $75.00. I put $10.00 down on the book, and it took me 3 months of giving plasma at the local blood bank to raise the money for the book... but by god I got it.

And that what lit my collector fire and has now cost me so many teens of thousands of dollars... it's scary.

What spurred this thread was.... I ran across the receipt for that book just now. I knew I still had and always will have the book, but thought the receipt was long gone decades ago.

So... let's hear what started your trip to collecting insanity.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1580/25428221515_45528f59af.jpg

I dont know what is cooler. The photocopy of that recipt or the fact you gave plasma to get yer first collectible book! :thumbsup:

Sir_Boomme
03-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Legacies S/L.
And that led me to you guys, and the rest is history.

yeah... if I remember right... that was one limited that took a long long time to get published... but definitely has a lot of cool sigs in it.

Brian861
03-01-2016, 09:59 PM
I blame my discovery of CD. Saw the beautiful editions on there and it's been balls to wall every since. Then being lead to forums like this just enables a person so there's no since even trying to fight it :).

Tommy
03-01-2016, 10:49 PM
I had been collecting the trade hardcovers since the early 90's but it wasn't until I discovered Cemetery Dance and their very awesome edition of Full Dark, No Stars that I got the collecting bug.

stroppygoblin
03-02-2016, 01:18 AM
I was already reading King and had a few hard covers, but the 'collecting' really started with a couple of books prior to the book you bought Terry. I saw Dolores Claiborne 'Gift' Edition (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Dolores+Claiborne+-+Gift+Edition) in the shops leading up to Christmas and convinced my wife to buy it me. I'd never owned a 'limited' edition book before in my life (and at that time was naive enough to think a facsimile signature was cool) . I have many superior quality books now, but this one still holds a place in my heart.

Tommy
03-02-2016, 02:38 AM
I had been collecting the trade hardcovers since the early 90's but it wasn't until I discovered Cemetery Dance and their very awesome edition of Full Dark, No Stars that I got the collecting bug.

I did get the gift edition of The Waste Lands as a birthday present the year it was released but still didn't really start collecting until after FDNS. I forgot about that. :redface:

biomieg
03-02-2016, 03:22 AM
I was randomly collecting what I thought were 'cool' King books (various paperback and hardcover editions, both Dutch and US/UK, but with no clue about first editions and not really caring about the condition of the books). Then I found this forum and I discovered the concepts of first editions, magazine appearances, limited editions and proofs.

There was no single book that lit the collecting fire in my case but obtaining my first nice 1st/1sts and especially some of the rarer proofs was a big eye-opener for me! Those are still my priority, even though I owned a number of rare college-era magazine appearances and a small number of S/Ls at one time.

dnemec
03-02-2016, 05:39 AM
What a fantastic thread idea!

I started reading King when I was pretty young, as my mother liked the weird stuff. But I decided to start collecting 1st edition books by King because of The Shining. I was out of a law school for a couple months and essentially unemployable until I received my bar exam results. I got caught up watching Stephen King's The Shining miniseries on tv. I remember thinking: "What the hell?" I was very familiar with Kubrick's version, and wanted to know why there was such a difference between the 2. (Mom must not have had the book, because I read most of her Kings.) I went on ebay and bought a BCE of The Shining. It was my only Christmas present that year from my boyfriend as we were so poor. But while I was on ebay, it occurred to me that I could buy first editions of his newer books for fairly reasonable prices. And so it began.

I went to NYC a couple years later when money was finally coming in and we went to The Strand. I spent around $650 there, and it's been downhill ever since. The Strand was also the first place I ever got a proof. I have since gone back and they had little King collectible books, but I struck gold that first time. Awhile later, one of my clients asked me: "Do you know Cemetery Dance?" and the downward spiral continued. :P

divemaster
03-02-2016, 08:45 AM
For me, it was when I read Winter's The Art of Darkness. This would have been around 1988 or so. Prior to that I had started reading King and had become a big fan. But I was totally unaware of the hobby of book collecting and that there were even such things as "limited editions." Winter's book mentioned these intriguing sounding editions with names such as "Land of Enchantment" and "The Mysterious Press" and "Phantasia" etc. and I was like "Wow! To be able to come across such a rare and wonderful edition--I've got to look around for those!"

Remember, in those days there was no internet and the best I could do is hit up antiquarian bookstores whenever I got the chance. I spent hours and hours in A. Amitin's in downtown St. Louis, and wherever else I got the chance. Winter had also tuned me into the story behind the "secret" publication of The Gunslinger, so I was always on the lookout for that one as well. I was lucky to buy a copy of The Drawing of the Three from a Waldenbooks at a mall in San Antonio. I was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston at the time and when we got our first leave after a month of training, everyone else used it to go to bars and whatever. I hopped a bus and went to the mall specifically to check out bookstores. And there it was! A Donald Grant first edition! My first "special book."

Once I got internet in 1999, I bought my first S/L book--a copy of Six Stories off eBay. From then on it was pretty easy. All those mysterious 750-copy limited editions that were so hard to come by shopping antiquarian bookstores? Now just a click click away. Hell, I could buy a new limited edition every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I guess that was a change for the better, but I sure do miss the antiquarian bookstores and the thrill of the hunt.

jhanic
03-02-2016, 09:54 AM
I had been a collector of SF and fantasy (and horror) books since I was in high school. I bought every paperback I could back then (couldn't afford the hardcovers), including all of King's works. What really turned me on to collecting King proofs/ARCs was back in the late '90s, when I ordered a copy of the proof of Rose Madder from Michael Autrey. He ripped me off by not sending the book. I filed a claim with my credit card company (no Paypal back then) for the $350 and got my money back after his fighting it, but the flame had been lit. I finally got a copy (at a much more reasonable price) from someone else. From then, the rest was history.

John

AstroDad
03-02-2016, 10:25 AM
I started reading King in middle school, this would have been around 85 or 86. Picked The Gunslinger off the shelf and never looked back. It's funny I re-read the Gunslinger again not too long ago and laughed that there is no public middle school in the country that would have that book on their shelves today. Sad.

I read King pretty much exclusively through High School, but when college came around I had little to no free time for reading, outside of required reading for courses. Like Sir Boomme, I was paying 100% of everything myself and waited tables about 50-60 hours a week while taking a full load of classes. I DO NOT miss those days. I somehow became aware of Grant Books selling a limited edition of From a Buick 8. I owned a handful of King books at the time, but it was hodgepodge, not really a "collection" by any means. So money was very tight, but I decided I really wanted to own the Gift Edition (which if I recall was $75) and splurged to get it. If I recall, I believe I picked up a double shift from another waiter to pay for it.

Got it, loved it. Decided I wanted to start collecting first editions with a goal of owning every King book in a 1st edition. Bought a couple of cheap ones over the next few months, but quickly realized how much some of them would cost and didn't think I would ever be able to afford them, so I pretty much gave up that goal. Even once I graduated I didn't see myself spending that much on a book and I didn't want to start collecting if I wasn't going to go all the way.

Fast forward to a little over a year ago. One day I was going through old boxes and came across that FAB8 edition. It dawned on me that now I COULD collect the books I wanted to. Started researching, found this site, totally addicted.

zelig
03-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Here's the short version. I could write half a book on the long version.

The fire started for me from the very first King book I bought which was The Eyes of the Dragon in 1987. After I read it, I went nuts trying to find his other first editions. It was near impossible to find any as I wasn't here in the USA at the time and this sort of collectible was in short supply. And of course, this was pre-internet days. I hunted down specialty book dealers in the USA like Time Tunnel and started buying there.

I dropped out of collecting for a good number of years, then I don't know what started it up again, but it started with a vengeance. Maybe I just reached a stage in my life where I felt okay opening all those boxes I'd accumulated, and seeing my old 1st editions got me going again. Also the forum added fuel to the fire. I spent more, and bought more books in the past three years than I ever did in all the years prior to that.

Luckily, there were two books I managed to get dirt cheap around the late 80s/early 90s that I managed to hang onto. Those were 1st UK and 1st US of Carrie. At least I saved myself some money there!

Good times...

HONKYTONKSMASH
03-02-2016, 04:57 PM
First book I ever read was the Gunslinger. Was pretty well hooked on King after that. I started out just wanting copies of all his books...then I wanted all hardback..then haha. My wife got me the Gift Edition of IT and that was pretty much all she wrote..

Rahfa
03-02-2016, 05:39 PM
The collecting thread was lit when I got a DT II "Author's Edition" expecting it to be a normal first edition.

Up until that point, I'd been reasonably interested in maybe, sort of, eventually getting all the hardcovers...but having a confirmed, actual signed book motivated me to go all in with everything else.

I think it was 2002? Or maybe even 2000? Hard to believe it was so long ago?

wizardsrainbow
03-02-2016, 10:57 PM
First King book I ever read was a paperback copy of Salem's Lot (in fact I just finished re-reading it for about the 10th time), oh gosh, this was well before I got married so am guessing 1985. My girlfriend/now wife and I did a week's camping trip (tent, sleeping bags, the works) in Prince Edward Island, picking remote places to camp. Man, I read that book before going to bed all week and it gave me nightmares of Danny Glick and the "soft sucking sounds." That book solidified King in my heart and brain and after reading a pb copy of The Stand following Salem's, I found Stu Tinker at Betts Books and made my first King collectible purchase of a 1st edition The Stand (1978 version) minty fresh for $250....it was all downhill (uphill?) from there.

Merlin1958
03-03-2016, 05:28 PM
For me it wasn't one particular book, per se. I got hooked on, King after viewing "Carrie" and just started reading everything he wrote. I recall being extremely impressed with "The Shining" and from there on there was no going back. I didn't start collecting HC's until the early '90's when my economic status changed substantially, much like, Terry I suppose. I've been reading him since the '70's though and loving every moment for the most part (Lisey's Story :nope:)

I guess my favorite King item is the S/L of "Black House". One of my favorite books and a really beautiful production. IMHO I think it was my first S/L edition as well.

surly
03-03-2016, 07:03 PM
cool idea for a thread.

long story is here for anyone interested: my collection (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19210-Book-Collection-Surly).
short story: IT totally floored me and started me searching for anything by King that I could find. During that time of searching, I found a book called THE STEPHEN KING COMPANION which had a section on collectibles; what I discovered in that section is what got me hooked on collecting.

Around that same time, I found a copy of the Spring 89 issue of MIDNIGHT GRAFFITI which happened to be a Stephen King focused issue. In it was a two page ad for a bookseller named Michael Autrey, (I believe some members may have some stories to share about him). Among other things, there was a listing for handwritten manuscript pages. That, more than anything I had read about before, really captured my attention and made me realize the possibilities of what could be collected.
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/surly_pics/ad_zps0w34dr8g.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/surly_pics/media/ad_zps0w34dr8g.jpg.html)

Phalucha
03-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Fun to reading ths stories above. I discovered King when I was about 12 on the top shelf of my Dad's bookcase (I knew that if it was out of reach...it must be good!) He had paperbacks of Firestarter, The Dead Zone and Salem's Lot at least. I read them all that summer and purchased the hardcover of Pet Semetary the year it came out in hardover when I was 13. I remember I had no idea it was coming out and just saw it in the bookstore one day. What turned me into a collector was reading The Art of Darkness and then subscribing to Castle Rock and reading the classifieds. When I was 16 (1986) i worked at A&W and then a moving company and plowed my earnings into SK collecting. Taken a few breaks over the years, but never stopped reading/collecting King. One cool thing, I have met King ar least once every decade since the 80s - can't put that on a shelf, but in some ways those experiences are more valuable then the books.

herbertwest
03-04-2016, 01:25 AM
Wonder what that "holographic" looks like...

carlosdetweiller
03-04-2016, 04:36 AM
Wonder what that "holographic" looks like...

Doesn't it just mean handwritten?

carlosdetweiller
03-04-2016, 04:38 AM
Around that same time, I found a copy of the Spring 89 issue of MIDNIGHT GRAFFITI which happened to be a Stephen King focused issue. In it was a two page ad for a bookseller named Michael Autrey, (I believe some members may have some stories to share about him).

Also, IIRC, in that same two page listing by Autrey there is a first state 'Salem's dust jacket for $3,000 (!).

stroppygoblin
03-04-2016, 04:58 AM
Around that same time, I found a copy of the Spring 89 issue of MIDNIGHT GRAFFITI which happened to be a Stephen King focused issue. In it was a two page ad for a bookseller named Michael Autrey, (I believe some members may have some stories to share about him).

Also, IIRC, in that same two page listing by Autrey there is a first state 'Salem's dust jacket for $3,000 (!).

So I should offer you $3001 ? :evil:

carlosdetweiller
03-04-2016, 05:17 AM

So I should offer you $3001 ? :evil:

I'm not even sure when I first became aware of the different states of the dust jacket. I didn't even get a copy of that magazine until about 1992 or so and didn't notice that listing until just a few months ago when I was looking through the magazine for something else. Autrey frequently advertised books that were not in his possession but that he could get if someone were to offer to buy from his listings. A lot of the time they were books owned by John McLaughlin of The Book Sail. I know that my asbestos Firestarter that I bought from Autrey came from McLaughlin. I suspect that the book in this listing from 1989 is the same book that I bought from McLaughlin much later in August 1999.

jreitan47
03-04-2016, 08:47 AM
For me it was my 1st Salem's Lot (2nd state) that I bought at an estate sale for $0.75. Not knowing anything about collecting at that point (this was nearly 20 years ago), I had it in a bag to give to Goodwill because I thought it was a book club edition. When I dug it out and looked it over again, I realized it MIGHT be a 1st but wasn't sure so I contacted Stu Tinker and he informed me of what I had. Needless to say I held onto it (until I sold it several years ago...still kick myself over that), and then tried to collect all the other firsts and anything I could get my hands on.

carlosdetweiller
03-04-2016, 08:55 AM
For me it was my 1st Salem's Lot (2nd state) that I bought at an estate sale for $0.75. Not knowing anything about collecting at that point (this was nearly 20 years ago), I had it in a bag to give to Goodwill because I thought it was a book club edition. When I dug it out and looked it over again, I realized it MIGHT be a 1st but wasn't sure so I contacted Stu Tinker and he informed me of what I had. Needless to say I held onto it (until I sold it several years ago...still kick myself over that), and then tried to collect all the other firsts and anything I could get my hands on.

That may be the best find I have ever heard of. Well, as far as King collecting goes. Those seven Ty Cobb baseball cards from 1909-1911 found in an old paper bag the other day is probably the best.

bdwyer19
03-04-2016, 09:01 AM

That may be the best find I have ever heard of. Well, as far as King collecting goes. Those seven Ty Cobb baseball cards from 1909-1911 found in an old paper bag the other day is probably the best.

I can't imagine... One million dollars in cards in the bottom of a paper bag. Unreal!

Patrick
03-04-2016, 10:04 AM
I started reading King around 1982, maybe earlier, but I didn't keep track of the books I bought. Often they were lent to friends and never seen again - such as the compilation of the four Bachman books that is out of print. I do still have my worn old paperback of The Stand (Uncut).

I started reading the Dark Tower books in 1992 when I stopped by my local library to find a couple audiocassette books to help me pass time on the long round trip drive from the Bay Area to Seattle to see my girlfriend at the time. I checked out a couple King books I had not hear of previously: The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three, both read by the author. After those I was hooked, then pissed when I figured out the series I had started was not yet finished.

Years later, looking online to find out information about the still-unfinished series, I discovered the now-defunct TDT.net. There I started reading about King collecting and these beautiful editions that some of the members owned. Finally, I took the plunge and began collecting King's books in November 2004 when I purchased matching number S/L's of DT2, DT3, and DT4 in rapid succession.

I told myself that over time I would buy a single set of DT S/L's with numbers < 501 and then be done.

Then, before completing my original goal, I told myself that I would expand my limit and only collect King S/L's and nothing more.

Then I saw some Gift/Artist Editions that were pretty sweet.

Then I told myself that a signed 1st edition or two wouldn't be so bad, as long as I trusted the source.

Then I expanded to a few other favorite authors.

Then saw a King proof I liked...

And so it goes.

DoctorZaius
03-04-2016, 01:50 PM
I was new to the collecting world, and had yet to purchase anything. I would frequent a bookstore on Newbury Street in Boston called Avenue Victor Hugo. I would drool at all the King books they had, and I had so many interesting talks with the man who ran it. Turns out that they had once had an artist's studio upstairs, and number of the artists who worked on the Grant limited edition of The Talisman did their paintings there. This was around the time that Grant was publishing the limited edition for The Wastelands. It was already sold out but they were doing a drawing for the right to buy one limited edition at cover price. I put my name in, and the names of anyone I could think of hoping to get a copy.

At the same time, I was working for an auction company and I was asked to go and assess the collection of a clown, yes a clown who happen to be selling his collection of clown memorabilia. His collection was fascinating. While I was at his house he asked me if I might be interested in some books he had. Turned out he had five Grant first editions of The Gunslinger and three second editions as well, all of which were still in the shrink-wrap. He sold me four of the firsts and all three seconds for $1000 - he was looking for quick money. I remember driving home with my books with the excitement of a little boy at Christmas. When I walked through the door at home, I was still living with my mother, she told me that someone from Avenue Victor Hugo had just called and that she had won the signed limited edition of The Wastelands. Not a bad haul for one day.

Well, my collection was off and running. Over the those early years I traded/sold all The Gunslingers, except the lone first edition I still have in the shrink-wrap. The trades/sales helped me grow my collection. The Wasetlands limited locked me in for all future Dark Tower limiteds, except for TWTTK - I hate that they reduced the number on that one! I was off an running.

idlewarnings
03-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Mine started with trying to find a copy of The Gunslinger after I saw it listed in the front of Pet Sematary. I was in 9th or 10th grade. I took a big chunk of my savings and mailed a bank check for $125 to some guy in Texas. He sent me a F/F first edition that I still have today. That was my first introduction to small press books. After that I got on Grant's mailing list. Next came Drawing of the Three, then Prime Evil (my first King signed limited). It was all downhill after that. I got The Gunslinger signed at the Three Kings event in D.C. a while back.

Ari_Racing
03-08-2016, 01:13 PM
I bought a paperback Spanish copy of IT in 2000 for AR$ 13 (at that moment it was U$S 13). On the next day I was in a book fair and saw immediately a HC Spanish copy without DJ...

- How much?
- 12 AR$
- No, thanks.
- 10 AR$
- No, thanks.
- 9 AR$.

Don't ask me how because I don't know, but I left with the book and asking myself why I bought two copies of the same book. And from that point on everything was crystal clear. I just wanted ONE gift edition. I can purchase only ONE signed edition. It's just ONE signed limited.

Yeah...right.

needfulthings
03-08-2016, 01:45 PM
.50 at a yard sale in 1980.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6130/DOtzId.jpg

Randall Flagg
03-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Dented.
You were ripped off.

The Library Policeman
03-08-2016, 02:54 PM
This:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/kingpix/Mobile%20Uploads/A0FC178C-ED56-4493-B915-ED8A94CAFE90_zpsbypacme5.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/kingpix/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A0FC178C-ED56-4493-B915-ED8A94CAFE90_zpsbypacme5.jpg.html)

A gift when I was eighteen in 1986. I still have it :)

jhanic
03-08-2016, 03:58 PM
I have one of those too! I like it!

John

zelig
03-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Yup, one of my favorite paperbacks.

Brian861
03-09-2016, 01:29 AM
I have a inscribed copy of Misery 1st/1st from my high school sweetheart. The girl who introduced me to King via Thinner. Although it will never have any meaning or value to anyone else; it will always be one of the most cherished books in my collection. Probably should have married that girl, sigh.

Roseannebarr
03-09-2016, 02:34 PM
This:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/kingpix/Mobile%20Uploads/A0FC178C-ED56-4493-B915-ED8A94CAFE90_zpsbypacme5.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/kingpix/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A0FC178C-ED56-4493-B915-ED8A94CAFE90_zpsbypacme5.jpg.html)

A gift when I was eighteen in 1986. I still have it :)

Now i need one! how do you guys find these things. I love IT.

becca69
03-09-2016, 02:42 PM
I haven't seen that cover before. Nice!

needfulthings
03-09-2016, 04:13 PM
:evil:
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6983/YbMH0w.jpg

Brian861
03-09-2016, 06:08 PM
The good stuff is always between the covers, ;).

herbertwest
03-10-2016, 01:42 AM
If I remember correctly, this edition contains a fac simile signature too, no?

webstar1000
03-10-2016, 04:24 AM
What lit mine? Hmmmm... I know back when I read IT in 92' (I was in grade 9 or 10 anyways..) I loved it and wanted them all. I never really knew about signatures and limiteds though. After I joined Ebay about 5 or so years ago I started seeing the crazy priced ones. I just wanted to fill the holes with hard covers in my collection but noticed that I would need to get a signed Dolans to do so among a few other S/L's that were only released that way. Well... when I held that Dolans... and seen the signature. I decided to keep going. Have NOT stopped since! Love it:):):)

andyg75
03-15-2017, 08:03 AM
I've read King since high school, 11 or 12, and used to buy used paperbacks of the market stalls. Then, not too long ago, I decided to get the First Editions of IT and The Stand (my two favourite King books). Then I discovered US First editions, and while I was at it, came across some First Edition Collections on Ebay, which really started me thinking I could seriously collect. Once I had the US and UK firsts pretty much covered, it came time to sell my extra copies.

A couple of buyers of some of my duplicate copies in the US and Australia (peripheral) then mentioned S/L's, and that's when things really started getting interesting (and costly). Peripheral introduced me to this site, and now I basically covet anything everybody else owns. IT is the one that really started it all for me, and taking delivery of a Lettered PC (and matching Portfolio) from David at Betts is the pinnacle so far...but there's a long way to go... :lol1:

wizardsrainbow
03-17-2017, 03:10 AM
Crap, I may have posted this LONG ago but too lazy to look to see if I wrote this already....My first King "read" was Salem's Lot, which I read at night when my girlfriend (now wife) and I were camping in a tent in Prince Edward Island.....in truth, I suffered nightmares after reading about Danny Glick and "soft sucking sounds"....it's amazing the images the mind creates when you are in the middle of nowhere at night in a tent...LOL...After Salem's, I read The Stand and was hooked after that as a King junkie. I bought my very first King collectible....a F/F 1st The Stand 1978 from Stu Tinker at Betts and I still own this copy. I have the receipt too but the ink has now completely bled off the paper leaving it blank, but of COURSE, I still keep it.

Brian861
03-17-2017, 04:37 AM
Crap, I may have posted this LONG ago but too lazy to look to see if I wrote this already....My first King "read" was Salem's Lot, which I read at night when my girlfriend (now wife) and I were camping in a tent in Prince Edward Island.....in truth, I suffered nightmares after reading about Danny Glick and "soft sucking sounds"....it's amazing the images the mind creates when you are in the middle of nowhere at night in a tent...LOL...After Salem's, I read The Stand and was hooked after that as a King junkie. I bought my very first King collectible....a F/F 1st The Stand 1978 from Stu Tinker at Betts and I still own this copy. I have the receipt too but the ink has now completely bled off the paper leaving it blank, but of COURSE, I still keep it.

David. No one should have time for reading while camping with a girlfriend :evil: