PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Haven Fundraiser Auction #4-The Bachman Books Custom Bound-Original Art

Randall Flagg
01-17-2016, 11:03 AM
http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif
AUCTION LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201505708309?)

TheDarkTower.org is proud to be the EXCLUSIVE site to auction this new, unique and fine Collectible item.
For your consideration is Custom bound First Trade Edition 1st. Printing of Stephen King's The Bachman Books.
Renowned artists Glenn Chadbourne, Ned Dameron, Les Edwards, and Darek Kocurek have each done an original signed art piece that was bound into the book.

Book features:

Full fine leather binding
Faux suede slipcase with pull ribbon
Hand marbled endpapers
"Blood" spray page block
Four original pieces of art
Velum bound in before each art piece
Sown binding
Raised hubs with bronze accents and stitching
Limitation page at end of book

100% of the net proceeds of this auction go to:

The Haven Foundation. Originally founded by Stephen King, The Haven Foundation is a national, non-profit organization making grants to freelance writers and artists experiencing career-threatening illness, accident, natural disaster or other emergency or personal catastrophe.

Thanks to David Williamson from Betts Books, Merlin1958, Glenn Chadbourne, Ned Dameron, Les Edwards, and Darek Kocurek for making this possible.

jsweet
01-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Wow! Very nice piece

at_one
01-17-2016, 11:58 AM
The next Bachman Book to be auctioned will have SK's sig? Awesome!

Randall Flagg
01-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Many months ago I tried to think of what hasn't been done, or likely wouldn't be done by mainstream or small presses. With all of the Anniversary editions out there, the choices and prices can be daunting.
It occurred to me that based upon King's decision to not allow Rage to be newly printed, The Bachman Books would be an interesting book to have custom bound. As I thought about it, it seemed important to do two books with different art, but matching externally with only subtle differences.

Initially we wanted 8 artists to do an original piece for one story. Do to time constraints and previous commitments; a few artists declined (although they graciously contributed a different work for our fundraiser). We asked the artists to choose a story they would most like to create a piece for.

Whether you like the project or not, please know that significant effort went into the project (mostly by the artists). I was/am fortunate enough to have found a book binder that does phenomenal work at a reasonable price.

The books are intended to be "twins" of each other. Not identical, but fraternal twins, much like Stephen King and Richard Bachman are "twins".

If you were to hold these books, as a collector and fine binding/art appreciator, I know you would be impressed.

I've held them both, and never want to let them go, but understand that like children who become adults, the books HAVE to go out into the big world.

IMO individually, either one is impressive, but it would be best (but not crucial) if they ended up paired.

Sorry if the post seems a bit maudlin, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Randall Flagg
01-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Who said that?

:)

Dan
01-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Who said that?

I assume you are joking. I read this in the photo on the listing. Great book, BTW. Thanks, Jerome and Bill!

Randall Flagg
01-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Who said that?

I assume you are joking. I read this in the photo on the listing. Great book, BTW. Thanks, Jerome and Bill!

Thus the emoticon ¿

Randall Flagg
01-17-2016, 12:09 PM
I contemplated not posting the limitation page, but that didn't seem fair to members.

Dan
01-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks, I don't always catch on right away.

webstar1000
01-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Book looks good and I wish the best but i will be passing. Good luck to the winner!

CurtSeattle
01-17-2016, 01:52 PM
It occurred to me that if the Haven Foundation would issue a "receipt" for the purchase price of any of these auctions then you would raise a lot more money. At least, I know I would pay more if I could "write off" the value delta between the purchase price and the book value. Not sure if that works or not, but seems legit as long as you offset the purchase price by the book value you received by purchasing it on your taxes.

The delta is the charitable donation to The Haven Fund, but you would need a receipt at least for the purchase price from them (and EBay receipt is going to look weird is why).

Just a thought...

dnemec
01-17-2016, 02:02 PM
I am just in awe, Jerome. I'm sure it will go way beyond my price point, but is truly an amazing book. You have outdone yourself!

Randall Flagg
01-17-2016, 04:31 PM
It occurred to me that if the Haven Foundation would issue a "receipt" for the purchase price of any of these auctions then you would raise a lot more money. At least, I know I would pay more if I could "write off" the value delta between the purchase price and the book value. Not sure if that works or not, but seems legit as long as you offset the purchase price by the book value you received by purchasing it on your taxes.

The delta is the charitable donation to The Haven Fund, but you would need a receipt at least for the purchase price from them (and EBay receipt is going to look weird is why).

Just a thought...
Keep in mind that our Fundraiser donates the proceeds to The Haven Foundation.
I'm not a tax accountant, so please check with your income tax preparer/accountant, but in general what you legitimately donate to our Fundraiser (less than $500) is not a tax worry. If you have other tax worries, the donation may be scrutinized, but legit is legit.
AGAIN-your tax issues may vary, but a bonafide donation is that-bonafide.

Auction items are a bit different than straight donations.
In most instances, the auction price is the presumed value, and thus (for the winner) NOT tax deducible.

REPEAT-I'm not your tax attorney/accountant and can not offer legal advice; just an internet opinion.

Patrick
01-18-2016, 05:53 PM
It looks fantastic! Truly one of a kind.

jsmcmullen92
01-19-2016, 05:53 AM
Woo highest bidder! Whoever out bids me I will force to enter The Long Walk!

webstar1000
01-19-2016, 07:02 AM
limitation page... not sure about it the more I look at it. Any other thoughts?

Theli
01-19-2016, 07:24 AM
^ I got no problems with it, though it'd be a shame to win one and not the other, and just know that the other copy is signed LOL.

Also I was wondering, Jerome, not necessarily with this auction, though I may throw my hat in the ring I doubt it will stay within my means, would you be willing to ship to Canada on items I bid on? LOL

Merlin1958
01-19-2016, 10:30 AM
^ I got no problems with it, though it'd be a shame to win one and not the other, and just know that the other copy is signed LOL.

Also I was wondering, Jerome, not necessarily with this auction, though I may throw my hat in the ring I doubt it will stay within my means, would you be willing to ship to Canada on items I bid on? LOL

You just need to contact him and make other arrangements for s/h to Canada. I don't believe its a problem, just more expensive to ship to Canada

I'd like to take a moment here and offer my humble thanks for the immortalization bestowed upon me on the limitation page of this edition. I had no idea what so ever that this was being done by, Jerome and I am honored and humbled by the gesture. My sincere thanks to, Jerome and to everyone here that has supported the HF over the years. I find myself at a loss of words to express my appreciation.

Patrick
01-23-2016, 05:01 PM
18 hours remaining and over $500. Looking forward to seeing how this charity auction item ends up.

Merlin1958
01-23-2016, 05:06 PM
18 hours remaining and over $500. Looking forward to seeing how this charity auction item ends up.

About time you showed up for work!!! LOL J/K LOL

I don't "Do" the hawking anymore. It's up to others to do or not. LOL

Randall Flagg
01-23-2016, 07:00 PM
I'll be certainly disappointed and damn near ashamed if this book doesn't fetch at least $800.

Someone please "want it".
If the winner of this and the companion book is from the site (the same member wins both auctions) I will toss in a few cool extras. You have to win them both to get the cool "extras".

wizardsrainbow
01-25-2016, 03:45 AM
I won the first one...sorry ikt did not go over $800...I did provide the book itself in the first place!

Merlin1958
01-25-2016, 07:24 AM
I won the first one...sorry ikt did not go over $800...I did provide the book itself in the first place!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ari_Racing
01-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Congratulations!

Theli
01-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Congrats David!

Priest
01-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Congrats!

Patrick
01-25-2016, 01:41 PM