PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stephen King related catalogs-Old fashioned US mail

Randall Flagg
01-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Yesterday I received an actually book seller catalog in the mail. I can't recall the last time I received a physical catalog.
The one I received yesterday has a few tidbits in it.
I don't have many old mailers, but I will look through what I have and post what I believe to be interesting King related items (not 20 pages, just a few tidbits).
Hopefully others can post some interesting things.

EDIT: For large and multiple images PLEASE use the spoiler tag preceded with a brief description of the contents.
It will speed page loading and likely be appreciated.

For now:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1452628604-Madle%20catalog.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1452628618-Madle%20Catalog%202.JPG

jreitan47
01-12-2016, 02:23 PM
Nice! I would love to see what is in this catalog.

jhanic
01-12-2016, 02:28 PM
I used to collect the magazine Weird Tales. I had all but 11 issues. I wonder how much he's asking for that complete set now. I sold my copies for some good money a number of years ago.

John

Randall Flagg
01-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Nice! I would love to see what is in this catalog.
I hope the thread doesn't get bogged down by page scans.
PM me and I'll give you the senders name and address (and phone if it's in there). Then you can request the booklet.

Priest
01-12-2016, 02:43 PM
you once send my one of the DT Mailers, still have one or want me to scann it ?

Randall Flagg
01-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Edit-I'll post the name and address of the sender for the recent catalog in post #1 of this thread.
Give me an hour or two.....or 9 days ⸮

zelig
01-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Nice idea for a thread. Of course, I love the old mail order catalogs because of the nostalgia associated with them. I know a lot of us started our collection with these catalogs back in the day. I have a few left over from those days, mainly from Craig Goden/Time Tunnel. Look forward to seeing what is posted here.

Randall Flagg
01-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Per post #1:
Robert A. Madle
4406 Bestor Drive
Rockville, MD 20853
USA

RC65
01-12-2016, 10:44 PM
Nice idea for a thread. Of course, I love the old mail order catalogs because of the nostalgia associated with them. I know a lot of us started our collection with these catalogs back in the day. I have a few left over from those days, mainly from Craig Goden/Time Tunnel. Look forward to seeing what is posted here.

I sure started mine that way. I started collecting back in the mid '80s, and for a decade or more -- until the Internet blew it -- had the pleasure of several catalogs each week, including Time Tunnel. Good times.

Bev Vincent
01-13-2016, 03:44 AM
I survived on the massive catalogs from the Overlook Connection during the mid-to-late 1980s. They were more than simple book listings -- they were full of entertaining reading.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-13-2016, 04:36 AM
For me it was Time Tunnel, Shadowfax, Overlook Connection, etc. I still have the catalogs.

I still have one of Dave Hinchberger's newsletters with catalog in the back.

Collecting in the early 80's was a blast. Receiving catalogs, making phone calls to buy a book, book travel weekends with the wife (we would just head in a direction and stop along the way at everything we could find), meeting sellers half way to buy a book. Great times!

Mulleins

Randall Flagg
01-13-2016, 06:21 AM
FYI, the postage on the recent catalog was $2, so if you want one, be prepared to send the person postage money.

skyofcrack
01-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Good to see Bob Madle is still alive. The man is 95 years young! I used to work for him in the 1980's, shipping books out and sending out catalogs was always a huge project. I still have several of his old catalogs. I started my King S/L collection while working there.

RC65
01-13-2016, 08:05 AM
For me it was Time Tunnel, Shadowfax, Overlook Connection, etc. I still have the catalogs.

I still have one of Dave Hinchberger's newsletters with catalog in the back.

Collecting in the early 80's was a blast. Receiving catalogs, making phone calls to buy a book, book travel weekends with the wife (we would just head in a direction and stop along the way at everything we could find), meeting sellers half way to buy a book. Great times!

Mulleins

Yep, Tiime Tunnel, Overlook, Zeising, Robert Gavora, Wrigley Cross, Nicholas Certo, and a host of others...was always a joy to see them in my mailbox and know I had some entertainment and lustful dreaming in front of me that night. It's certainly much easier to find and buy books these days, but some of the fresh-faced excitement has been bled away by technology.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-13-2016, 08:35 AM
"I had some entertainment and lustful dreaming in front of me that night."-RC65

So true. Most of the time in the mail I would receive a book catalog and an Adam & Eve catalog. I would throw away the A & E because the book catalog did the same thing for me.

Mulleins

Randall Flagg
01-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Good to see Bob Madle is still alive. The man is 95 years young! I used to work for him in the 1980's, shipping books out and sending out catalogs was always a huge project. I still have several of his old catalogs. I started my King S/L collection while working there.
I just spoke to Mr. Madle, and he sounds alert and very chipper. I'd never has guessed he was in his 90's.
He has a couple of interesting items in the catalog.
He says it costs ~$6 to produce and mail the catalog.
Anyone here requesting one should (IMO) toss $6 in an envelope with a note mentioning you heard about the catalog on our site, and of course providing a mailing address.

Who all is requesting one?

Pasiuk57
01-13-2016, 10:25 AM
I think I would do it

jhanic
01-13-2016, 11:17 AM
I'll be doing it.

John