PDA

View Full Version : Childhood's End

Jon
12-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Did anyone else watch?
What did you think?

WeDealInLead
12-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Loved it. Incredible effects, especially the last thirty minutes which were deserving of a 3D Imax treatment. I was OK with changes too; I don't think they took away from the spirit of Clarke's novel. I haven't thought about my Top 10 for this year but this is probably going to land somewhere in the top 3.

I knew what was coming when you-know-who made the first appearance but it was still shocking to see. The dialogue between him and the crazy religious lady...pretty bold stuff. "No. You deceived yourself."

The scene with the kids floating up and filling the entire sky gave me such chills. The entire finale was very emotional. I'm jealous of whoever got this watch this without reading the book first. I knew what was coming and I still wasn't ready for it.

frik
12-23-2015, 08:58 PM
It's my favorite Arthur C. Clarke novel - it made a huge impression when I first read it. The finale especially was unforgettable.
I did not know it had been filmed. The blu-ray's available in March!! Can't wait.

sk

fernandito
12-24-2015, 08:27 AM
I missed it, unfortunately. But I fully intend to pick up the blu ray once it's released.

Ricky
12-24-2015, 08:51 AM
I DVR'ed it so I can read the book first. It's pretty slim, so it shouldn't take me long. Can't wait!

Jon
12-26-2015, 08:05 AM
I personally loved it!!
Oh all such stories these days that seem to turn into a series' when they should be a mini-series; I was HOPING or a series here.

But I MUST admit a bit of predictability about the general appearance of the Supervisor of Earth, Karellen, and his species. I saw it coming a mile away.

But that predictability was just a minor thing to me.

It has been a long time since TV entertained me to this degree.

becca69
12-26-2015, 05:57 PM
I didn't read the book but saw part 1. I'm hoping it's still On Demand. SyFy is stepping up their quality.

WeDealInLead
12-26-2015, 06:05 PM
It's still up on http://showcase.ca I'm not sure if it's restricted to only Canada. Maybe try masking your IP if so.

becca69
12-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks. I don't watch TV on my computer. I'll just check Xfinity/Comcast.

Jon
12-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Try beating a local cable employee!