PDA

View Full Version : 2016 HAVEN FUND RAISER - PRO'S/CON'S/THOUGHTS

Merlin1958
12-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Well, the time is coming for our annual fund raiser on behalf of the Haven Fund. There will be lot's of cool items, some new, some familiar always unique!!!!

There has been some discussion with regards to the merits of the HF recently so, I thought why not have a thread to discuss it and maybe clarify things, come up with new idea's and well, just get it off your chest one way or the other.

So, discuss, share your idea's with one another. Let's try and keep it civil, everyone's opinion counts!!!

ELazansky
12-18-2015, 04:45 PM
I'll start it off.

I'm OK with The Haven Fund. Any charity one chooses to donate to is fine. What bothers me is how it feels like there is a lot of pressure on the site to donate to The Haven Fund. It is not a charity that I want to donate to, and I don't want to feel "shamed" because I'm not. I don't think every post has to lead to "be sure to donate to The Haven Fund". If you want to donate, wonderful, and if not, that's OK too.

AstroDad
12-18-2015, 07:52 PM
I had just started the forum when last years Haven fund drive was beginning and actually thought it was great. I guess I can see times when some could feel pressured, but I think that might be mostly when it comes up in threads randomly as opposed to dedicated threads.

Priest
12-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I'll start it off.

I'm OK with The Haven Fund. Any charity one chooses to donate to is fine. What bothers me is how it feels like there is a lot of pressure on the site to donate to The Haven Fund. It is not a charity that I want to donate to, and I don't want to feel "shamed" because I'm not. I don't think every post has to lead to "be sure to donate to The Haven Fund". If you want to donate, wonderful, and if not, that's OK too.

even if i agree to you , i guess it would not be half of what was collected when the guys would lower the presence, while the founds are collected.

I would love poll of the annual donating target - lets decide to whom we want to donate together - if its HF , great, if its something else - great

Randall Flagg
12-19-2015, 02:22 PM
I'll start it off.

even if i agree to you , i guess it would not be half of what was collected when the guys would lower the presence, while the founds are collected.

I would love poll of the annual donating target - lets decide to whom we want to donate together - if its HF , great, if its something else - great

Sorry, but we aren't going to do a binding poll as to what if any charity we use my site to fund raise for.

No person should feel "pressured" to donate. Either donate or don't. A significant portion of what we raise (~70%) is through auctions of very unique items and certainly there is no "pressure" to bid on something listed on ebay.

We can try to reduce the cheer leading that happens in unrelated threads (Bill...).

ESW
12-19-2015, 02:45 PM
I think the Haven Foundation fund drive is a good thing--it makes sense to me for a drive to come from this site, or at least originate here (regardless of whether the bidders/buyers are from TDT site or "outside," from non-TDT-members: the important thing is that auctions generate to the charity, yeah?) as we're all King fans and/or collectors. I agree regarding pressure: the bidders bid as much as they want to, when they want to; the winners hopefully get a collectible, valuable item they'll treasure for a long time; and we help people in need. I have my own thoughts about the "pressure" question, but at least for me, the answer is donate what you want, as often as you can and want to; and let the rest of the noise roll off, like water off the proverbial duck's back.

Merlin1958
12-19-2015, 02:48 PM
For the record, I am semi-retired from the Haven fund, choosing to sidle over to the administrative side of things. I do not intend to be the "cheerleader" for this event any longer and I view this thread as a chance for us to improve our efforts and effectiveness for this effort. Aside from this post and starting the thread, I have no intention to post any further here, but to "drink it all in" so to speak and hopefully identify ways to improve and streamline our future efforts. Hopefully, this thread will prove to be constructive.

I will throw this out there for you all to ponder, we have for several years identified the fact that if the haven fund is to continue to be successful we need to expand it beyond the site. We have made forays into "Reddit" and have always garnered support from CD, PS, Lilja and Tomas @ The Collector.com, but ways to enhance these relationships and expand into other media would be greatly appreciated. With the extensive collection of PC savvy members we have here I would think that idea's in this vein would be forthcoming and valuable.

BTW, also for the record, my recent post in the "Intriguing Stephen King Auctions" thread which sparked a debate, was not "cheerleading" in my mind. I intended only to offer what I thought was pertinent information in the course of the prior discussion. I certainly did not intend to instigate what ensued.

Jon
12-23-2015, 07:20 PM
I am certainly going to miss seeing Bill in the cheerleader uniform!

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae214/denny111/cheer%20guy.jpg

webstar1000
12-24-2015, 04:07 AM
I think it brings fun and excitement to the boards. I HATE the constant badgering. I am not alone I am sure... but that is the only issue. And there is a great prize at the end:)

Merlin1958
01-06-2016, 04:39 PM
I am certainly going to miss seeing Bill in the cheerleader uniform!

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae214/denny111/cheer%20guy.jpg

Oh, my Lord!!! I won't!!! LOL LOL LOL

Do I really look like that? And here I was thinking I felt "Pretty"!!! LOL LOL LOL

Merlin1958
03-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Just curious, but do folks feel the fundraiser has been conducted in a better fashion this year, than in the past? Appreciate your input.

Brian861
03-03-2016, 12:25 AM
I can't really say since this is my first year to participate but I do love the auction format to raise funds. I feel the HF gets the much needed funds and we (the forum members and bidders) get something really cool in exchange for that. My only complaint is that you aren't entered into the drawing for the grand prize if you win an auction (or several in my case). That's the only change I'd like to see moving forward as a new member of the community. Maybe the auction/s would have to reach a certain amount before it gained you an entry for the grand prize could be a stipulation. Either way, rules are rules and I'm happy to comply to gain a shot at the golden ring :). Lastly but not least. A huge thanks to all that have taken the time to ensure the success of the fund raiser and for adding some really sweet items to my collection! You guys :rock:!

becca69
03-03-2016, 11:48 AM
I don't think auction winners should get entries - auctions are open to anyone on Ebay where as the entries are given to members as incentives to donate books or $$. Plus you are getting an item from the auction. Just donate $100 to get your max 10 entries and then buy what you want at auction.

Brian861
03-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Winners of the auctions who are members I guess I should have clarified. This is going to come off sounding completely wrong and I apologize in advance but I've "donated" several hundred dollars via auction wins thus far and probably will several hundred more before it's all said and done. I understand I'm getting something already in return for my donation but you're donating with no guarantee of a return. I think I'm beginning to see the light and come around to your way of thinking; thus proving your point :lol: I really suck at this uh? I'll just head back to my corner now :beat:

webstar1000
03-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Your not donating though if you get something in return brother... Your buying something. Totally different.

Brian861
03-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Your not donating though if you get something in return brother... Your buying something. Totally different.

I think I realize that mid post, Kris and tried to save as much face as possible at the end there :lol: Thanks, brother!

becca69
03-03-2016, 01:53 PM

Yep, the person who offered the book/artwork/etc. for auction is the one donating not the buyer.

Brian861
03-03-2016, 01:59 PM
:thumbsup:

Lookwhoitis
03-03-2016, 02:44 PM
I feel like folks who buy auctions should be lauded for contributing to the fundraiser, but in word only.

You should not get an entry just for buying something.

Donating $10 is like buying a raffle ticket. Pretty sweet prize for a $10 ticket!

Merlin1958
03-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Winners of the auctions who are members I guess I should have clarified. This is going to come off sounding completely wrong and I apologize in advance but I've "donated" several hundred dollars via auction wins thus far and probably will several hundred more before it's all said and done. I understand I'm getting something already in return for my donation but you're donating with no guarantee of a return. I think I'm beginning to see the light and come around to your way of thinking; thus proving your point :lol: I really suck at this uh? I'll just head back to my corner now :beat:

You should have participated here.........

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19419-Merlin-s-Haven-Fund-Music-Video-Tournament

LOL

Brian861
03-03-2016, 04:44 PM
[You should have participated here.........

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19419-Merlin-s-Haven-Fund-Music-Video-Tournament

LOL

Apparently so! :lol:

Merlin1958
03-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Seriously, I was inquiring as to the overall fundraiser this year. Better? The same? worse? with regard to marketing I suppose.

Merlin1958
03-03-2016, 07:15 PM
For "Old Times", Bronx Bomber, The Haven Fund Wonder Dog!!!

http://imageshack.com/a/img840/8607/08ih.jpg

You can wake him up with donations that equal "Treats" for him!!! LOL

Jon
03-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Before donating a book for the HF auction, always remove the seeds.

(You know what I mean... don't pretend.)

Brian861
03-03-2016, 09:47 PM
For "Old Times", Bronx Bomber, The Haven Fund Wonder Dog!!!

http://imageshack.com/a/img840/8607/08ih.jpg

You can wake him up with donations that equal "Treats" for him!!! LOL

I think in my next life, Bill, I'll come back as your dog. He/she looks very well cared for and healthy. Plus I'd get my very own blue blankie to cuddle with on the couch!

I've been set straight as far as the HF fundraiser. Most of the items donated for auction have been amazing! Wonderful job so far IMO.

stroppygoblin
03-04-2016, 01:13 AM
HI Bill, to answer your actual question....

From my perspective it's definitely been more low key this year, which I know is a relief to one or two members here. The last two years were pretty full on, but IMHO very enjoyable because of it. In my experience charity collection has to be somewhat in your face in order for it to raise big bucks. If you put a sign up saying "please give to charity X by calling this number" you will get far less donations than if you had people walking up to you and explaining why the charity needs the money with a big bucket in their hands. Live Aid was a great example of this, the hunger aid charities had existed for years, but Live Aid put it right up in our face and people like Geldof passionately imploring people for money raised millions overnight. It's too easy to ignore needing charities, sometimes you need to be made to feel uncomfortable about your own personal wealth.

That having been said, this is an SK collector site and it is clear that the big ticket items that both RF and you make happen through huge amounts of work 'in the quiet months' are the ones that make the big $$$, how much longer that can be sustained I don't know.

just my 2c

becca69
03-04-2016, 10:00 AM
:clap:

becca69
03-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Seriously, I was inquiring as to the overall fundraiser this year. Better? The same? worse? with regard to marketing I suppose.

It's definitely more low-key. I enjoyed the last few years a bit more, although I know it irritates some. Makes me worried that the high goal will be harder to reach.

Jon
03-05-2016, 01:42 AM
A couple of doggy treats for Bill...or his dog.

( I LOVE spanking catfish!!)

Ari_Racing
03-17-2016, 07:10 AM
I liked the idea of the HF since it started (I think I contributed every year) but last two years it started to bother me a little. There were a lot of threads about it and even in those that weren't about it there were plenty of posts related (and I'm not talking about several member's signatures also mentioning it all the time). So I fully understand about the pressure mentioned before. It's like the HF was EVERYWHERE in the website. And after it ended...well...it was starting again immediately. Not as "crowded" as before, but there were already several posts about collecting stuff for next year, ideas, etc.

I'm not blind and I see the effort several members do to make it work. Contact artists to contribute, all the logistics involved, organize the auctions, etc. It surely demands a lot (of time and effort) and if when I work hard on things I like these to succeed. This year's HF is lower-key than the last year and I think the numbers shown prove it (no need to deny it) which also MAYBE shows that advertising is needed in order to reach the goal. And that's my big concern: Why do we need a goal? I personally don't see the point of it. Why don't just receive the donation and announce at the end how much was collected? It's the goal pressure I don't understand. Why do we need to reach 18K. If we reach 12K, isn't that good? Of course more is better but it's a fundraiser...the ammount collected is always the correct one.

I think there is an unnecesary pressure during the auctions ("this item can't sell below ***", "it'll depress me", etc)

There has been a huge improvement about the grand prize (it just can't get any better than what it is now...) but I'd like to know if a comparsion was made on what happens if instead of auctioning an item is included as prize of the giveaway. Let's say a remarqued Dameron. It usually goes for U$S 400? U$S500? What if instead of auctioning you open a giveaway for it where the number to apply costs U$S 20 (like the Florida 2015 event...). A test could be done and you might get the same amount of the auction (and I think it'd be more exciting for everyone actually). Also, you can put a target kinda similar to a kickstarter:

You get 4 items and announce the giveaway:
If we get U$S 100 we giveaway a gift edition item
If we get U$S 200 we giveaway a paperback signed
If we get U$S 300 we giveaway a Revival signed
If we get U$S 400 we giveaway a Dameron remarqued copy.

And people has to donate to get numbers for each "package of 4 items" (for example).

I think this would draw more attention than auctions. And if it happens to earn the same money, well...even better!

Merlin1958
03-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Hey, thank you very much for your input!!! It's greatly appreciated, make no mistake.

JMHO, but you make some interesting points regarding the donation structure. Some may indeed work better as you suggest and some not. I think "testing" is a valid way to determine that fact. Perhaps, you can PM me a possible "test" for this year or next and run it? Report back the results? We would really appreciate any and all help we can get.

I'm sure, RF will want to have a "HF Board meeting" (lol) and discuss in further detail. Thanks again, Ari!!!

Ari_Racing
03-19-2016, 07:22 AM
Sure thing. Let me catch the pendings in my jobs (today I'll probably be ready) and I'll send you a test. :)