PDA

View Full Version : The Leftovers on HBO

Merlin1958
11-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I searched for a dedicated thread and couldn't find one so, if there is one already please merge.

Is anyone watching this show? Do you have any thoughts, theories or, complaints?

I'm into season two and really feel it's time they gave us a few answers or at least a little more clarification/content at this point. I'm beginning to feel like they are making it up as they go and the fact that, Lindeloff is a writer doesn't help me at all!!

I mean at this point in the show shouldn't there be a little more to go on? There seem to be multiple story threads/lines with no tie ins and ever more questions just like that show that shall remain nameless for now. LOL Don't get me wrong it is well done, good acting and very intriguing, but I find it very difficult to even really speculate very much and it's in it's second season!!!

Lookwhoitis
11-02-2015, 07:39 PM
I really enjoy the show. Im a big fan of Magical Realism in film and Literature so this show is right up my alley. I love the fact that it is highly symbolic and doesnt spell out exactly what is going on. You have to figure it out for yourself, and multiple interpretations might even be true. The show evokes a sense of wonder in me and strongly resonates with questions and ideas about what is, faith, religion, belief. I feel the aim of the show is secular, but i find a lot of Christian resonance in the show. Or at least I think I do. I dont profess to know what is going on or to be able to decipher it any better than the next guy, but Im having fun trying.

I have checked out the original novel from the library and will read it soon. Im intrigued to see what the book is like (as compared to the HBO adaptation).

Im glad that HBO is giving shows like this a chance.

Bev Vincent
11-03-2015, 04:03 AM
Don't come to this show expecting any answers -- the event will almost certainly never be explained. The show is an exploration of the way people react to something mind-boggling. It's pretty bleak, but fascinating. I think it's exceptionally well done. I even like the new theme music! The Matt-centric episode this week was brilliant. (I was also reminded of King's "Morality" at one point...)

Lookwhoitis
11-03-2015, 05:17 AM
Iris DeMent is awesome.

Johnny Alien
11-03-2015, 05:36 AM
Don't come to this show expecting any answers -- the event will almost certainly never be explained. The show is an exploration of the way people react to something mind-boggling. It's pretty bleak, but fascinating. I think it's exceptionally well done. I even like the new theme music! The Matt-centric episode this week was brilliant. (I was also reminded of King's "Morality" at one point...)

This is exactly what I was going to say. The show is not supposed to be about what caused the event and is really about how the people that were left behind deal with it. It's a brilliant show and I doubt we will ever find out what made it happen but I am sure there will be lots of characters with theories along the way.

Merlin1958
11-03-2015, 02:14 PM

This is exactly what I was going to say. The show is not supposed to be about what caused the event and is really about how the people that were left behind deal with it. It's a brilliant show and I doubt we will ever find out what made it happen but I am sure there will be lots of characters with theories along the way.

Okay, but they keep perpetuating the "supernatural/sci fi" aspect of the story. The mystery of the water in miracle (both before and after the 2nd event), the disappearing girls, healing (?), ghosts (?), going crazy (In the family?) and the "Savior" thing with, Wayne and his troupe just to name a few "Mysteries". It's starting to feel an awful lot like "Lost" and I wasn't too pleased with that ending or it's endless unanswered mysteries. Make no mistake, the "mysteries" are beginning to pile up on the show with little or nothing by way of explanation. That just gets frustrating and boring after a while. Don't get me wrong, I get the whole "It's the journey" thing, but at some juncture it becomes lazy story telling and a bit pointless if there isn't an actual "plot/reason" behind at least some of it, no?

Maybe this show is just not for me. I'm, German and therefore very pragmatic I suppose.

Still Servant
11-04-2015, 05:25 PM

Ditto. I was about to say the same thing. We will never get concrete answers. I came to that realization pretty early last year. I'm cool with it. The show is all about faith and spirituality. I'm enjoying season 2 way more than season 1. I hope they keep it up.

As for Lost similarities, I don't see it. I don't get the feeling that Leftovers is asking questions to build mythology like Lost was doing. I'm not one of the people that was upset with the lack of Lost answers. I was also satisfied with the ending, but that's for another thread.

Merlin1958
11-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Ditto. I was about to say the same thing. We will never get concrete answers. I came to that realization pretty early last year. I'm cool with it. The show is all about faith and spirituality. I'm enjoying season 2 way more than season 1. I hope they keep it up.

As for Lost similarities, I don't see it. I don't get the feeling that Leftovers is asking questions to build mythology like Lost was doing. I'm not one of the people that was upset with the lack of Lost answers. I was also satisfied with the ending, but that's for another thread.

As I said, maybe I'm too pragmatic and I too do not want to go off on a "Lost" tangent either. However, Lindeloff is one of the writers/producers and it's hard to not make some comparison's. The show seems to be building up quite a list of "Mysteries", IMO and has not yet declared itself as "spiritual". There is actually a balance of supernatural/spiritual/Sci-Fi elements so far as I can ascertain. There are also familiar phenomenon like, healing, higher being, ESP and/or spiritual powers being put forth in the story so far.

Maybe it's just me, but if I don't get more of a sense of where the show is going or coming from by the end of this season I'll probably drop out.

I hated the "Lost" ending!!! LOL LOL

Merlin1958
11-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Okay, WTF???

Now what did we call "Damon/Carlton" back in the day??? LOL Fucking "purgatory"????? Really? Did he just do that? Oh, and this is not "supernatural". Plenty of mysteries, no answers and a big happy "love fest" at the end. You think they will all end up in the same "Church" by the time they wrap??? LOL

Still Servant
11-24-2015, 07:16 PM
That was fantastic.

The Leftovers is the wackiest show on TV. That episode was certainly the most "supernatural" of all the episodes, but I loved every second of it.

Also, I wish people would stop mentioning purgatory in regards to Lost. I have so many friends and family that still say to me, "See, I told you they were in purgatory the whole time." That's when I tell them to go back and watch it.

Merlin1958
11-25-2015, 03:13 PM
That was fantastic.

The Leftovers is the wackiest show on TV. That episode was certainly the most "supernatural" of all the episodes, but I loved every second of it.

Also, I wish people would stop mentioning purgatory in regards to Lost. I have so many friends and family that still say to me, "See, I told you they were in purgatory the whole time." That's when I tell them to go back and watch it.

Well, "Purgatory" was the ending if you recall. Now, are you going to tell me that "The Leftovers Season II" is not shaping up to be "Lost Revisited"? Let's see. random mysteries? check. A Well, check. Purgatory, check. A place that heals, check. Mysterious shaman, check. Visits from the other side, check. Mysterious water, check. I'm sure I have left out a few more. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it so far, just a bit wary just where, Lindelof and Cuse are going with it this time. Or shall we call them "Damonick"? LOL

Oh, and 140 million people just up and vanished right out of their shoes!!! You still think this show is not "Supernatural" themed?

For the record, I do not want to get into a debate on "Lost" in any way. I'm just pointing out that there are some disturbingly common threads on display. Considering who is running the show you just can't ignore that fact IMHO. To do so would be folly IMHO

Bev Vincent
11-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Cause has nothing to do with it. It's Lindelof and the author of the novel upon which it's based.

Still Servant
11-25-2015, 06:55 PM
That was fantastic.

Well, "Purgatory" was the ending if you recall.

Not on the island it wasn't, which is what people were predicting for years. Literally 2% of the show's entire run had anything to do with "purgatory."

Merlin1958
11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Cause has nothing to do with it. It's Lindelof and the author of the novel upon which it's based.

Nick Cuse (Carlton's kid) co-wrote the last episode with Damon.

Merlin1958
11-25-2015, 09:43 PM
That was fantastic.

Well, "Purgatory" was the ending if you recall.

Not on the island it wasn't, which is what people were predicting for years. Literally 2% of the show's entire run had anything to do with "purgatory."

As I too am aware. I don't want to get into a "Lost" debate either, but for the record when you come down to it WTF did have anything to do with the show all those years. They introduced mystery after mystery and what mysteries they did try to sum up came up kind of lame IMHO. The rest they just kind of whiffed on, not even bothering to remotely explain them.

Johnny Alien
11-26-2015, 05:52 AM

Sure but that is one episode out of 20 and that is like saying Horns is technically a Stephen King movie. Just because a show has mysteries does not make it a LOST copy. The expectation with LOST was that we would get answers and the Leftovers is more about the people than the mysteries. Either way it based on a story by Perrotta and continues to be so regardless of Lindelof being a co-writer.

Is The Green Mile and Shawshank the same movie because they both involve prisons, falsely imprisoned people, bad guards, escapes, King and Darabont?

Merlin1958
11-26-2015, 06:55 PM

Sure but that is one episode out of 20 and that is like saying Horns is technically a Stephen King movie. Just because a show has mysteries does not make it a LOST copy. The expectation with LOST was that we would get answers and the Leftovers is more about the people than the mysteries. Either way it based on a story by Perrotta and continues to be so regardless of Lindelof being a co-writer.

Is The Green Mile and Shawshank the same movie because they both involve prisons, falsely imprisoned people, bad guards, escapes, King and Darabont?

Look folks, I am not trying to be argumentative and I did some research. Also, I don't think you see my point. First, no it is not "Lost", but there are definitely thematic elements being brought to bear that are very reminiscent of "Lost". Second, Perrotta's original novel was pretty much covered by season one. From here on in it's a new ball game albeit, with him as a consultant. Last, if it is "all about the people" then why introduce mystery upon mystery that you have no intention to resolve, as they did on "Lost" and "appear" to be doing once again. The show is not over and perhaps they have "answers" in mind, but you can't logically stand there and tell me that no inference can be drawn from the show's content and writers and 'Lost". It's too obvious IMHO.

I am enjoying the show so far, just as much as I did "Lost" for 5.5 seasons. I hope that they get it right this time more so than they did last time is all.

Johnny Alien
11-26-2015, 07:10 PM
First off...not trying to argue either. Hope you had a great holiday today! I guess I don't see the same thematic similarities you do. I don't see a ton of layered mysteries. The main mystery of what happened will never be answered. They will follow theories but again that is 100% not what the show is about. I believe some of the smaller questions about the town of Miracle and Kevin's sanity will be explored but if you are looking at the show to be a "who done it" mystery that ties up neatly I would probably bail on it now.

Johnny Alien
11-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Also I will never defend LOST. That show had amazing writing and killer actors and they threw it all away with a garbage last season.

Merlin1958
11-26-2015, 07:22 PM
First off...not trying to argue either. Hope you had a great holiday today! I guess I don't see the same thematic similarities you do. I don't see a ton of layered mysteries. The main mystery of what happened will never be answered. They will follow theories but again that is 100% not what the show is about. I believe some of the smaller questions about the town of Miracle and Kevin's sanity will be explored but if you are looking at the show to be a "who done it" mystery that ties up neatly I would probably bail on it now.

Also I will never defend LOST. That show had amazing writing and killer actors and they threw it all away with a garbage last season.

I suppose I would be okay if the fact that 140 million folks disappeared into thin air with no apparent rationale was never explained and the show stuck to how the "Leftovers" deal with that fact on an ongoing basis. Much as they did in season one. However, IMO season two has started to lay on the mysteries a little thinker week to week. Healing place, Shaman, 'Ghosts" and now the "purgatory", Well, water and additional disappearances to name a few seem to bely that aspect. Also, let's not forget the little mysteries they did maintain in season one such as the affect on animals (which is now resolved apparently) and the shared delusion/communication among characters (Kevin's Dad, The Dog Guy).

Just a little nervous is all, but I intend to hang in at least for the rest of this season and see where it goes.

Though, 140 million folks vanishing into thin air is, as the "Ghostbuster's" once said, "One big Twinkie"!!! LOL LOL

Merlin1958
11-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Anyone heard any news on the shows' return?

Bev Vincent
11-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Not until next year.

Still Servant
11-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Also, I'm not sure if you've heard, but season 3 will be the last season.

Merlin1958
03-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Saw the previews, the final season is upon us!!!

webstar1000
03-09-2017, 04:30 AM
WOW.. just started this two days ago. Already near end of season 1. Should finish by weekend. WHAT A COOL SHOW! Last night one of the episodes of the Smoker getting tied to a tree and stoned to death was probably one of the most heart wrenching things I have ever seen on TV. It was brutal and left me feeling sick. Little over kill and it still sticking with me today:(

Still Servant
03-10-2017, 02:24 PM
WOW.. just started this two days ago. Already near end of season 1. Should finish by weekend. WHAT A COOL SHOW! Last night one of the episodes of the Smoker getting tied to a tree and stoned to death was probably one of the most heart wrenching things I have ever seen on TV. It was brutal and left me feeling sick. Little over kill and it still sticking with me today:(

Season 1 is good, but I thought season 2 was even better. Season one had a bunch of episodes that felt unfocused. Season 2 was always leading to something. I almost bailed on the show early, but I'm glad I stuck around.

webstar1000
03-13-2017, 03:28 AM

Season 1 is good, but I thought season 2 was even better. Season one had a bunch of episodes that felt unfocused. Season 2 was always leading to something. I almost bailed on the show early, but I'm glad I stuck around.

I read that Season 2 was one of the best seasons of TV ever somewhere which caused me to finally watch it. ANd I tell ya... Season 1 (I am on the final) got better and better!

Merlin1958
03-14-2017, 07:08 PM

I read that Season 2 was one of the best seasons of TV ever somewhere which caused me to finally watch it. ANd I tell ya... Season 1 (I am on the final) got better and better!

The trailers for season 3 (final season) look rather awesome!!!

Merlin1958
04-16-2017, 03:28 PM
So, season 3 premiere's tonight. Any advance thoughts, wishes or predictions?

webstar1000
04-16-2017, 04:36 PM
CANNOT WAIT!!!

Merlin1958
04-16-2017, 04:42 PM
CANNOT WAIT!!!

LOL I'm with ya!!! Appears the "Mysteries" will be somewhat religoous in nature, but I'm very okay with that. FWIW, I thought they would jump the "7 years" as listed in the Bible. Really looking forward to see what they (Lindelof, et al) have come up with. Whatever, the show really makes you think and I for one love that!!!

Still Servant
04-16-2017, 06:24 PM
So, season 3 premiere's tonight. Any advance thoughts, wishes or predictions?

Nothing. Just sit back and enjoy.

Merlin1958
04-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Got a feeling this will be a wild season!!!!

Still Servant
04-20-2017, 06:00 PM
The end of the first episode left me :scared:

Merlin1958
04-20-2017, 06:03 PM
The end of the first episode left me :scared:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

i didn't see the drone bombing coming I admit.

Still Servant
04-26-2017, 03:49 PM
I gotta say, I loved the choice of theme music for the second episode. So unexpected.

I'm not sure how many people placed it, but it's the same theme music used for Perfect Strangers, one of my favorite sitcoms growing up. Cool stuff.

Then Mark Linn-Baker, the actual actor who played on Perfect Strangers, is actually on the show! WTF!!

I've had to edit this post so many times because my original comment was right after the credits. Anyway, I just finished the episode and I realized that the title of the episode is "Don't be Ridiculous" which was Balki's catch phrase.

Bev Vincent
04-26-2017, 05:41 PM
That's the third reference to Perfect Strangers in the series.

Still Servant
04-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Really? Where were the others? I didn't catch them.

Bev Vincent
04-27-2017, 02:35 AM

In the first season, it was mentioned that the entire cast of Perfect Strangers had been taken. Then, during the second season, it was revealed that Mark Linn-Baker had faked his disappearance and was hiding out in Mexico (http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/mark-linn-baker-leftovers-departure.html).

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 02:48 AM

In the first season, it was mentioned that the entire cast of Perfect Strangers had been taken. Then, during the second season, it was revealed that Mark Linn-Baker had faked his disappearance and was hiding out in Mexico (http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/mark-linn-baker-leftovers-departure.html).

At the time.. many thought it was a little bit of fun (a joke) being had by the makers of the show. I do not believe that to be after last weeks episode. I think they knew what they were doing and where they were going from the start.

Bev Vincent
04-27-2017, 03:11 AM
According to Lindelof, it was organic and not planned at all. In fact, they were nervous about whether Linn-Baker had the dramatic chops to pull off the heavy scene.

The Leftovers showrunner explains that dramatic Perfect Strangers cameo (http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/24/the-leftovers-perfect-strangers/)

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 03:29 AM
According to Lindelof, it was organic and not planned at all. In fact, they were nervous about whether Linn-Baker had the dramatic chops to pull off the heavy scene.

The Leftovers showrunner explains that dramatic Perfect Strangers cameo (http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/24/the-leftovers-perfect-strangers/)

I read that. Sorry, I meant planned as in they have known the outcome of the show from Day one. Where Lost... I do not think that they did...

Bev Vincent
04-27-2017, 03:55 AM

I read that. Sorry, I meant planned as in they have known the outcome of the show from Day one. Where Lost... I do not think that they did...

I don't think they knew where it was going from day one. I read that they hashed out the final scene of the third season during the hiatus and then built the episodes to get there. I don't think they even knew there was going to be a third season until the second season finished airing.

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 04:01 AM

I don't think they knew where it was going from day one. I read that they hashed out the final scene of the third season during the hiatus and then built the episodes to get there. I don't think they even knew there was going to be a third season until the second season finished airing.

WOW. Really? That disappointing to me Bev. I sincerely believed they knew the ending... I was hoping they learned after Lost. lol

Bev Vincent
04-27-2017, 04:20 AM

WOW. Really? That disappointing to me Bev. I sincerely believed they knew the ending... I was hoping they learned after Lost. lol

i don't mind that they do things this way. I like the concept that they can react to things that happen and shift accordingly. If a character like Ben Linus can emerge and take on a new life, and the writers can react to that and the story goes in a different direction because of it--I like that possibility.

I certainly don't expect that we're going to get a concrete ending to Leftovers, either. This isn't a show about explanations but rather about dealing with the inexplicable. I have no idea how you wrap that up, but I'm along for the ride.

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 04:34 AM

i don't mind that they do things this way. I like the concept that they can react to things that happen and shift accordingly. If a character like Ben Linus can emerge and take on a new life, and the writers can react to that and the story goes in a different direction because of it--I like that possibility.

I certainly don't expect that we're going to get a concrete ending to Leftovers, either. This isn't a show about explanations but rather about dealing with the inexplicable. I have no idea how you wrap that up, but I'm along for the ride.

Yeah... I have hopes we find out some answers though...

Still Servant
04-27-2017, 06:29 AM

That's awesome, thanks! I vaguely remember the mention in season 1, but I didn't catch the season 2 reference. That's pretty great.

Still Servant
05-17-2017, 03:43 PM
"That's the guy I was telling you about."

Such a great line. I love how it's directed right at the camera. I think we are about to see a new man.

zelig
05-22-2017, 06:20 PM
I'm loving this show. Season 1 was good, but Season 2 is ever better. It has me hooked.

TravelinJack
05-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Just got all caught up on this show. Whew what a series. Hard to believe only two more episodes? First time in a long time I didn't want a series to end. This has been so well executed (written, directed, casted, and acted).

zelig
05-26-2017, 07:34 PM
It's a great show. I've been watching it during every spare moment I have had over the last week. I'm on season 3. Episode 2. I love the show. The choice of music is so smart. Seems completely out of place, and perfectly placed at the same time.

Merlin1958
05-31-2017, 01:10 PM
You know, I hate to say it and it kind of pisses me off, but after the last episode I am like, WTF is going on"!!!!! LOL I mean I have always been fairly intuitive and I'd like to think intelligent, but I'm just not getting it yet, everyone proclaims what a great show it is. Don't get me wrong I look forward to every episode, but I'm just at a loss and I hate it!!!

Anyone feels they can clue me in I'd be happy to stand an education.

TravelinJack
05-31-2017, 04:08 PM
You know, I hate to say it and it kind of pisses me off, but after the last episode I am like, WTF is going on"!!!!! LOL I mean I have always been fairly intuitive and I'd like to think intelligent, but I'm just not getting it yet, everyone proclaims what a great show it is. Don't get me wrong I look forward to every episode, but I'm just at a loss and I hate it!!!

By last show, you are speaking about the most recent (second to last episode in the series finale)? You don't get what's going on? Dude!

TravelinJack
05-31-2017, 04:12 PM
The music plays such a big role in this show, which is amazing from a clue perspective. Another big clue from the last episode is:

the book he was writing in the beach hut

webstar1000
06-01-2017, 03:28 AM
I thought it was brilliant. I will be interested in how it all ends... next week!!! It is the series final. I hope to get answers.... but feel we may not...

Merlin1958
06-01-2017, 08:24 PM

By last show, you are speaking about the most recent (second to last episode in the series finale)? You don't get what's going on? Dude!

Well, I'm not stupid. I got some of the symbolism, but a lot of the episode just left me befuddled. I guess I just don't see what, Lindeloff is going for here. I have some "Lost" misgivings I suppose. I mean, he nukes the "hereafter" and the flood stops? WTF?

Plus, "Box" (from the night of...) is "God", but he doesn't give a crap? Or what? Like I said, I usually pride myself for being intuitive in these things, but this show somehow has me befuddled. IDK, maybe I'm losing it. lol lol

Still Servant
06-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Well, I'm not stupid. I got some of the symbolism, but a lot of the episode just left me befuddled. I guess I just don't see what, Lindeloff is going for here. I have some "Lost" misgivings I suppose. I mean, he nukes the "hereafter" and the flood stops? WTF?

How do we know it stopped the flood or not? How do we know there was even going to be a flood? Just because some seemingly crazy people said there was going to be one.

Lookwhoitis
06-04-2017, 08:11 PM
I really enjoyed the finale

TravelinJack
06-05-2017, 06:08 PM

I did too. Although bummed the show has ended, I do feel good closure.

Not once did I consider that the departed were, in a parallel world, the ones that stayed and vice versa. Very cool.

webstar1000
06-06-2017, 03:49 AM
I watched the final and am not sure how I feel about it.... I have to say I liked how they shot forward in time... BUT I did not feel closure. I did not feel that the answers given were good ones. I felt cheated to be honest.... and more so than his other so called cheat... LOST. I have SO many questions that will now never be answered. It was good BUT not good enough for me and the wife.

Merlin1958
06-06-2017, 08:35 AM
I watched the final and am not sure how I feel about it.... I have to say I liked how they shot forward in time... BUT I did not feel closure. I did not feel that the answers given were good ones. I felt cheated to be honest.... and more so than his other so called cheat... LOST. I have SO many questions that will now never be answered. It was good BUT not good enough for me and the wife.

Fucker, Lindelof did it again!!! "Nothing up my sleeve"!!! lol "Lost" redirect. He blows up a storyline and moves to the touching romantic ending, abandoning what he could not tie up. What was with, Holy Wayne and his kid? What was with "Savior Kevin"? Why did everyone "Depart" in the first place? WTF was that about in the end? etc. etc. Wrapped all the questions into a neat AR, destroyed them with a missile attack and then moved on to other things!!! I swore I wouldn't let that fucker get me again and yet!!! lol lol lol

All that being said, the episode was decent as was the "approved for all audiences" ending. Better than "Lost" for sure.

Bev Vincent
06-06-2017, 10:51 AM

I did too. Although bummed the show has ended, I do feel good closure.

Not once did I consider that the departed were, in a parallel world, the ones that stayed and vice versa. Very cool.

Of course, that's only true if you believe Nora's story. We only have her oral account, which may or may not be true.

I loved how the show ended. It was nothing short of beautiful.

zelig
06-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Just finished watching the finale this morning. I loved this show.

Merlin1958
06-06-2017, 12:51 PM
The whole AR for the departed and vice versus thing was kinda cool and in truth I would have been okay with no explanation regarding the phenomena at all. What pisses me off is that they suggest there is a grander scheme/plot and then just abandon it to tell the love story. Still it was a better way to end it than "Lost" I suppose.

Edit: To be fair, Damon may have wanted to tell a fuller tale, but HBO intervened to close it out earlier than anticipated from a plot aspect.

TravelinJack
06-06-2017, 02:35 PM
The whole AR for the departed and vice versus thing was kinda cool and in truth I would have been okay with no explanation regarding the phenomena at all. What pisses me off is that they suggest there is a grander scheme/plot and then just abandon it to tell the love story. Still it was a better way to end it than "Lost" I suppose.

Edit: To be fair, Damon may have wanted to tell a fuller tale, but HBO intervened to close it out earlier than anticipated from a plot aspect.

I do agree we could have had more, even another season.

Merlin1958
06-06-2017, 02:40 PM

In some respects, HBO can be fucked up in that regard. Remember, "Carnivale"? They killed that one due to low DVD sales and high production costs. At least they let them sort of wrap it up.

Lookwhoitis
06-06-2017, 02:45 PM

In some respects, HBO can be fucked up in that regard. Remember, "Carnivale"? They killed that one due to low DVD sales and high production costs. At least they let them sort of wrap it up.

Deadwood, too

I loved Carnivale. I was pole-axed when that show was cancelled.

Merlin1958
06-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Deadwood, too

I loved Carnivale. I was pole-axed when that show was cancelled.

Yeah, I forgot "Deadwood". I too was disappointed when "Carnivale" went down. In fact, I was one of those that nagged them for the second season. Sometimes I just don't get the economics for a paid cable network.

That's why despite it's initial success I am cautious about. "WestWorld".

Bev Vincent
06-06-2017, 04:40 PM

This was the story Damon wanted to tell. He began mapping out the season by deciding what the end would be and worked backward from there. You have the option of believing there was no explanation for the phenomenon by deciding that Nora was lying--a perfectly valid interpretation.

For the creators, Nora was the crux of the series. She lost everyone, and tried to get over that loss, but couldn't. Not until she either did what she says she did, or came up with a convincing story to delude herself. Kevin's offer of belief closed the circle. Then she could smile and look genuinely happy, at long last.

Still Servant
06-06-2017, 07:04 PM

Anybody that thought they were going to explain why everybody disappeared hasn't been paying attention. I've been certain since day 1 that they were never going to explain why or how it happened. It betrays the whole spirit of the show.

As for the grander scheme plot, it wasn't abandoned at all. You missed the whole point of the show. Sometimes shit happens. Bad shit and there's literallly no explanation for it. There's no grand plan, there's no grand scheme. It just happens. That's life.

As for the finale, I thought it was perfect. Honestly, I've never had a show completely change my opinion so drastically. Honestly, I suffered through season 1. I almost bailed, but I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did.

The funny thing is that early in season 1 the thought crossed my mind how it would be so cool if the world split and the other 2% were in some other world alone. That said, I don't believe Nora's story for one second. She came up with a story in order to bring closure to her life. I think this is one of those shows that is going to have a larger audience after it finishes. It deserves it.

webstar1000
06-07-2017, 03:28 AM

This was the story Damon wanted to tell. He began mapping out the season by deciding what the end would be and worked backward from there. You have the option of believing there was no explanation for the phenomenon by deciding that Nora was lying--a perfectly valid interpretation.

For the creators, Nora was the crux of the series. She lost everyone, and tried to get over that loss, but couldn't. Not until she either did what she says she did, or came up with a convincing story to delude herself. Kevin's offer of belief closed the circle. Then she could smile and look genuinely happy, at long last.

I thought you had said that he had no idea where he was going when he started the show?

Bev Vincent
06-07-2017, 06:17 AM

I thought you had said that he had no idea where he was going when he started the show?

True. My comments above pertain to the third season. He didn't even know there was going to be a third season until the end of season 2. But they mapped out season 3 after they were renewed knowing what the final scene was going to be (although they weren't sure at the time who Nora would be talking to -- that came a little later.) They called it the "Nora makes tea" scene.

webstar1000
06-07-2017, 06:21 AM

True. My comments above pertain to the third season. He didn't even know there was going to be a third season until the end of season 2. But they mapped out season 3 after they were renewed knowing what the final scene was going to be (although they weren't sure at the time who Nora would be talking to -- that came a little later.) They called it the "Nora makes tea" scene.

k, I was confused! Thanks Bev for the clarification my man:)

Still Servant
06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Any time a writer creates something, he or she has got to have an idea of where they want things to go. It might be broad and not thought out, but I'd be willing to bet Damon had an idea where he wanted to take this story from the start.

Lookwhoitis
06-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Any time a writer creates something, he or she has got to have an idea of where they want things to go. It might be broad and not thought out, but I'd be willing to bet Damon had an idea where he wanted to take this story from the start.

He didn't create the story, he adapted and finished it. Remember, this is an adaptation of Tom Perotta's novel who was also an Executive Producer and probably as much in the driver's seat as Lindelof (or at least not relegated to the back seat). Of course his novel answers even less questions and mainly covers stuff that occurred in season 1 not 2 and 3. Having read the original source material, it seems to me that Lindelof sure stayed very true to the adaption of Perotta's novel and also continued and ended the story in a satisfying matter, especially since the point of the whole thing is that no explanations are due anyone, life is mysterious and full of coincidence that we try to impart meaning to.

Still Servant
06-13-2017, 07:20 PM

He didn't create the story, he adapted and finished it. Remember, this is an adaptation of Tom Perotta's novel who was also an Executive Producer and probably as much in the driver's seat as Lindelof (or at least not relegated to the back seat). Of course his novel answers even less questions and mainly covers stuff that occurred in season 1 not 2 and 3. Having read the original source material, it seems to me that Lindelof sure stayed very true to the adaption of Perotta's novel and also continued and ended the story in a satisfying matter, especially since the point of the whole thing is that no explanations are due anyone, life is mysterious and full of coincidence that we try to impart meaning to.

That's right, I forgot about that. It's probably the reason seasons 2 & 3 are far superior to season 1. Lindelof was able to do his own thing and expand on the source material.

Season 1 is almost unwachable at times.

Merlin1958
06-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Season 1 was mostly an adaption of, Perotta's novel. Season 2 had some input from, Perotta but after that it was open writing as far as I could discern. Lindelof, went the "Lost" route (largely) after that. He's a good screenwriter generally. He just needs to leave "Lost" in the rear view IMHO

Still Servant
06-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Season 1 was mostly an adaption of, Perotta's novel. Season 2 had some input from, Perotta but after that it was open writing as far as I could discern. Lindelof, went the "Lost" route (largely) after that. He's a good screenwriter generally. He just needs to leave "Lost" in the rear view IMHO
I have no problem with the way he wrote Lost. I don't need answers to every question. What we learned from the Dark Tower is that it's about the journey.

Merlin1958
06-14-2017, 04:28 PM
I have no problem with the way he wrote Lost. I don't need answers to every question. What we learned from the Dark Tower is that it's about the journey.

Yeah, I've heard that again, and again. If you posit mysteries, with the stated intent of solving them well, you should or its just sloppy writing. After much consternation I very much agree with, King's choice for the ending of TDT. "Lost" was just a commercial money grab. Were there cinematic platitudes in the series? Yes. However, it lacked substance IMHO I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Still Servant
06-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Yeah, I've heard that again, and again. If you posit mysteries, with the stated intent of solving them well, you should or its just sloppy writing. After much consternation I very much agree with, King's choice for the ending of TDT. "Lost" was just a commercial money grab. Were there cinematic platitudes in the series? Yes. However, it lacked substance IMHO I guess we have to agree to disagree.

It oozed substance. When you tear down all of the questions and the island and the Sci-fi, it was about relationships and redemption. It was about fate vs. free will, good vs. evil, faith vs. science. And so much more.